Stud service

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I'm not trying to be a breader nor have a plan to be one. My wife and I just wanted to have our grandkittens from our daughter Baby, a Maine Coon. I live in San Diego and if somebody here or somebody you know who are willing to do a stud service, please message me here. Thank you.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend that you start by contacting the breeder that you got your cat from. The breeder should be able to give you advice about whether it is a good idea to breed your cat, if your cat is breeding quality, and what health checks she needs before she is bred. Assuming your cat is breeding quality, healthy, and you have breeding rights, your cat's breeder should be able to suggest other breeders who would have a compatible male cat. Your cat's breeder should also be able to advise you about the risks involved in breeding your cat, and mentor you through the process of raising the kittens, having them spayed and neutered before placement, and placing them in good homes.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend that you start by contacting the breeder that you got your cat from. The breeder should be able to give you advice about whether it is a good idea to breed your cat, if your cat is breeding quality, and what health checks she needs before she is bred. Assuming your cat is breeding quality, healthy, and you have breeding rights, your cat's breeder should be able to suggest other breeders who would have a compatible male cat. Your cat's breeder should also be able to advise you about the risks involved in breeding your cat, and mentor you through the process of raising the kittens, having them spayed and neutered before placement, and placing them in good homes.
Thank you for your reply. I tried that route already and the breeder gave me a straight "No." Probably thinking that I'll be his potential competitor. I wish I can convince him otherwise but he shut his door right away even before I can explain..

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the breeder was not willing to help you, does that mean that your cat is pet quality and you don't have breeding rights?

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure. Like I said, I don't want nor have a plan to be a breeder. Just wanted to have grandkittens with my daughter...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you choose to breed your cat and produce kittens deliberately, that would make you a breeder, even if you only have one litter.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You need to read your contract. If you bought the cat without breeding rights, there may also be a clause stating consequences if you do breed her.

I know a number of Maine Coon breeders in the southwest, and I know absolutely not one of them will provide stud services if you don't have breeding rights.

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you choose to breed your cat and produce kittens deliberately, that would make you a breeder, even if you only have one litter.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Will that require to get a permit or something??

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Will that require to get a permit or something??
That question depends on where you live, I don't know about the city of San Diego.

But what I really meant was that if you breed a litter of kittens, you are a breeder just like any other, and therefore you should take this responsibility just as seriously as any other breeder should :)

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm definitely serious of taking care of them. Theiy are family. If I need to send to college I'll do it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, as a responsible breeder, you will want to make decisions based on what's best for your cat, for any potential kittens, and for the Maine Coon breed. You'll also want to be responsible about upholding the terms of any agreement you made with your cat's breeder.

As GoldyCat GoldyCat suggests, take a look at your contract. Do you have breeding rights? If you bought your cat as a pet, the contract may have restrictions requiring her to be spayed. Some breeders also have a clause in the contract that states that if you break the contract, the breeder can repossess the cat. This is usually only invoked in cases of abuse or neglect, but it can also be invoked if you fail to neuter/spay.

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, as a responsible breeder, you will want to make decisions based on what's best for your cat, for any potential kittens, and for the Maine Coon breed. You'll also want to be responsible about upholding the terms of any agreement you made with your cat's breeder.

As GoldyCat GoldyCat suggests, take a look at your contract. Do you have breeding rights? If you bought your cat as a pet, the contract may have restrictions requiring her to be spayed. Some breeders also have a clause in the contract that states that if you break the contract, the breeder can repossess the cat. This is usually only invoked in cases of abuse or neglect, but it can also be invoked if you fail to neuter/spay.
I didn't sign any contact with the breeder. I didn't even know that I have to. Just gave him the money then gave me my daughter, even got me a military discount...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get a pedigree with the kitten? Registration papers?

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. Nothing of sort..

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat's breeder did not give you registration papers and a pedigree, you will have trouble finding a breeder that will work with you for stud service.

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat's breeder did not give you registration papers and a pedigree, you will have trouble finding a breeder that will work with you for stud service.
Damn. I guess I'm really out of luck. Well, thank you all for the info.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, no problem!

By the way, since you mentioned that you live in San Diego... there's a big cat show in San Diego at the end of January every year. It is a large show and a lot of fun to attend. Cat shows are a good way to meet breeders. You won't find any breeders that would offer stud service to an unregistered female, but if you want to add another Maine Coon to your family, you may find a wonderful breeder there. Or you can just look at cats, talk to breeders and ask questions.

Here is a link with more information and a short video:

And here is another video that someone on this site posted after attending the show last January:

Myx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure, no problem!

By the way, since you mentioned that you live in San Diego... there's a big cat show in San Diego at the end of January every year. It is a large show and a lot of fun to attend. Cat shows are a good way to meet breeders. You won't find any breeders that would offer stud service to an unregistered female, but if you want to add another Maine Coon to your family, you may find a wonderful breeder there. Or you can just look at cats, talk to breeders and ask questions.

Here is a link with more information and a short video:
[/URL]

And here is another video that someone on this site posted after attending the show last January:
[/URL]
I already put that in my calendar, thank you for sharing that info though.
Adding a couple more kittens is also one of our option. We might just end up that way.