Stud duties - how often can a boy 'entertain' ladies?

LittleMunchkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, how frequently would you allow your stud to entertain visiting queens? (my boy is 3 years old and seems to be always 'ready :D).
Visiting girls normally stay with him for 3-5 days. They are normally 'done' by day 2 or 3 and after that just chill and often cuddle/sleep together.
I guess if he wasn't willing/wanting he just wouldn't do it, and he always seems very eager : )
How long a gap would you leave between guests?
Many thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do see here another problem. Its not good to use the same stud too often. Matador breeding is almost never good and sometimes devastating. Even if quite a few breeds started by a few foundation cats. And the Thoroughbreed horse was sired by 3 named stallions.

So, his physical abilities aside, and the amount of willing ladies aside, I would strongly recommend you to not use him so often, and recommend those whom ask you to find another stud, not related with him...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ that you want to avoid the "popular stud" effect in your breed. But it's hard to say from your post how much your stud male is really being used.

The other limiting factor would be control of infectious disease. If you have females visiting him from different catteries, I would wait 2 weeks between visits (and wait the same two weeks before putting your own girls in with him after a visitor), so that you can have some confidence he hasn't picked anything up from one girl that he would then pass on to the next girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleMunchkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, he definitely has 2 weeks breaks. I'd say he only 'sees' one girl a month, 2 at most. But I was still worried as I'd heard that a stud only really needs access to 3 females (so still a big difference). So you think once a month or so is ok? Thanks, guys. X

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is a purebred with a pedigree and genetically tested to not pass on any genetic health issues? I would ensure any girls are genetically tested and tested for health issues before you agree to letting him breed to them. I would not over breed him either, cats are designed to baby producing machines so he will always be ready. But we have to be the responsible people and ensure there isnt overbreeding, genetic testing to ensure no health issues, and that any kittens born would be reserved on a wait list.

Dianne's Maine Coons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great advice. I couldn't agree more.
You should always ask to see proof that the females coming in to your stud have been genetically tested and are negative for any genetic disease. You need to protect your stud and your females at all costs.
I have a closed cattery which means that neither my girls or stud go out to mate and no outside cats come in.
That is the only way that I can be confident that my cattery is protected.