Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Stud Cat As A Pet

Discussion in 'Showing and Ethical Breeding' started by supernaturalsphynx, Dec 17, 2018.

1. supernaturalsphynx

supernaturalsphynx Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Nov 29, 2018
    I am buying a set of kittens (unrelated) with rights and plans to breed them (if their health checks out). They will be TICA and CFA registered. I was wondering if anyone has had any success keeping a stud cat as a pet. Nothing against stud houses in the least bit, but I really want my kitty to cuddle with us. We have a large house so we could keep the cats easily separated (top floor and bottom floor) and the male and female would both be able to sleep with humans (in separate bedrooms of course). I am just wondering if anyone has had luck with stud pants or a stud that doesn't spray too much. Thank you.

2. lutece

lutece TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 8, 2018
    It's an individual thing. I've had some stud males that didn't spray, and some that sprayed a lot. Many boys are good in their own room (if there are no interesting things to spray on, or soft things to piddle on), but then run around spraying on things if they get out into the main house. Also, many boys are good when they are young, but start spraying when they are older. So it's best to be prepared with stud quarters he can live in if he starts spraying.

supernaturalsphynx purraised this.

3. supernaturalsphynx

Nov 29, 2018
    I do have a mudroom I could easily convert into a stud room if I needed to. It is all set up for it with large windows and easy to clean floors. I would just like to avoid it if possible. I will look into getting it all set up regardless, just in case. Thank you.
    I have had many cats in my lifetime and I have never owned a single one that has sprayed so this is new territory for me.

4. lutece

Mar 8, 2018
    Does your boy's father spray? Did the breeder have anything to say about his male relatives' behavior?

5. supernaturalsphynx

Nov 29, 2018
    The breeder said that his father isn't known to spray unless he does it in the litter box.

6. lutece

Mar 8, 2018
    Does the father have free run of the house or is he in separate quarters?

7. supernaturalsphynx

Nov 29, 2018
    He has run of most of the house.

8. lutece

Mar 8, 2018
    Then you have a good chance that your boy will be the same, but do keep an eye on him, as he may start to spray as he gets older.

Our current male has free run of the whole house and has never sprayed yet... but he is only one year old, and it's not uncommon for males to start spraying after they are 2-3 years old. Once we even had a male that started to spray after he was 10 years old... at that age, we didn't expect his behavior to change, but it did!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

9. posiepurrs

posiepurrs TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    I have a system that works for me. My stud lives in our family room. At night when I put the girls and neuters in my bedroom and let him and the 2 girls who live with him have run of the house. If he is a non sprayer, it is possible you could do something like that.

10. sargon

sargon High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey. Alpha Cat

Sep 22, 2016
    St. Louis Metra Area
    I've never bred , but when I was a kid, we had 3 male indoor/outdoor cats who were unfixed(yes, my parents were pretty irresponsible pet owners.) They were indoor/outdoor, but they were all pretty decent pets without major behavioral issues. One of them did start spraying, and had to be fixed.

So, you definitely can have an unfixed male cat who is a good pet, but it isn't guaranteed, and, will likely be a lot more work indoors than an indoor outdoor one.

StefanZ purraised this.

11. kristenann

kristenann TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    I've never bred but I don't believe all Tom's spray. 2 of my boys I found as intact adults, both 2+ years and had them for several weeks before getting them neutered and they did not spray.

StefanZ purraised this.

12. 8kitties

8kitties TCS Member Adult Cat

May 4, 2018
    Southeastern US
    I've only had outdoor cats, and I think it really depends on the cat. We had a young unneutered male come up and just start spraying all over the outside of our windows/doors. And then we have a neutered cat who will still spray if it has just rained and he wants to "remark" his territory. He was fixed after puberty though. You will probably have to wait and see.

13. British Girls

British Girls TCS Member Young Cat

Oct 2, 2018
    KUWAIT CITY, KUWAIT
    I agree...as a child, I adopted a Persian who was unneutered and 4 years old (I had to bring him back after 2 weeks to get him neutered) and during those 2 weeks, he never sprayed. I think it just depends on the cat.

StefanZ purraised this.

14. ameezers

ameezers TCS Member Adult Cat

May 6, 2017
    Ontario
    My boy didn't start spraying until he was about 1 1/2... Then he promptly started hosing down my whole house (his dad was a sprayer so I knew it was inevitable).

I hated the idea of having him in a separate outdoor pen, so rather than doing that I put up a wall across one of our rooms and converted it into his space. We have a neutered male that keeps him company.

He doesn't really spray in his space, but when he is out he proceeds to spray everywhere! So we have compromised and when he is out and about in the house, he now has to wear stud pants.
    I have 4 pairs that I change at least twice when he is out because they get wet from the spray, even with the disposable liners in them.

It works for us, although I don't think he is too keen on the pants lol

The picture is from when we initially put the wall in, there's a lot more stuff for them to do in there now ie extra scratchers, ball games ect

Attached Files:

StefanZ purraised this.