Stuck With Three Senior Cats! Advice Needed.

Mslady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To make a long story short, six years ago I came across five cats living with their owner in a pick up truck in 90 degree heat. I took them all in during the summer until the owner found an apartment.
In December of 2016 the owner showed up at my door telling me he’d been evicted and had nowhere to take the cats. I took them in, on top of my own seven cats, thinking they’d be here for a few months until the owner had been approved for social security.
Well, it’s been almost two years and the cats are still here! (It’s only three now as one passed a few years ago and another had to be put down this spring as she was very sick.)

What frustrates me to no end is that the owner is spending hundreds of dollars a month for storage units for a bunch of junk (he’s a hoarder). Because of this he can’t afford to rent an apartment. He’s no closer to get housing than he was two years ago!

I’d like to find new homes for the cats since he’s clearly not able to provide them with a home. But unfortunately they are 14-15 years old and it’s hard enough to find a home for a young cat.

I’m so frustrated! I love the cats but there are just too many.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Bless your heart for taking in those cats!!
I don't have any great ideas, other than is there a true no-kill (meaning that they won't put them down due to age/illness) somewhere near to you?

Could you set up a GoFundMe for the cats? I don't know the ramifications of that since they aren't yours, and whether any funds could be specifically for the cats and not end up being given to the owner to disappear into paying for more junk...
However, I've read that if you get him to change the microchip info and/or have vet bill receipts, that is proof of (change of) ownership. You could look into that if you decide to try a GoFundMe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mslady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response. There are tons of no kill shelters and rescues around here but none would take cats this old. Nobody wants to adopt 15-year old cats, especially the one with thyroid and kidney disease. Most no kill shelters and rescues prioritize cats on death row too and these guys are safe.
I’m not so concerned about being able to claim ownership for them. I have vet records, etc. But since I have seven cats of my own I don’t really want three more.
I’ve been making the owner pay me $100 a month for the cost of the cats for the last few months so I don’t really need money for them. I think what I need is an angel who desperately wants three geriatric cats. Anyone? Lol.