Stuck In Limbo

Kittykinsss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to find this so let me know if I need to move this post.

My cat went missing yesterday morning, he is a lovely black and white cat called Prince Alfie. He is always popping in and out of the house along with his mum (pregnant stray cat please dont judge) for food, play time and love. When he didn't come home I started to get worried and that was when I heard that a black and white cat was found on the road 2 doors away from my house. Panic set in as the cat had been moved. After some digging I found that a neighbour had claimed the cat and believes it to be her own missing black and white cat and had taken him home to bury him. I have stalked her on Facebook and her cat is nearly identical to Alfie. After speaking to some other neighbours today and showing them pictures they think that the cat found was actually Alfie.

I've tried messaging this woman but she has not replied. I am absolutely heart broken and don't know what to do. I am 99% sure that the cat found was my poor little Alfie but I'm unable to confirm this and am stuck in limbo. I don't want to make her upset or give her false hope but i need to see the cat she buried/ have it chip checked so that I can move on. Can anyone give me some advice on how to move forward?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. This is so sad. :sigh:

If this were me, I think I'd knock on her door and have a face to face conversation with her. Let her know that you really think the cat is your Alfie and if you have pictures of Alfie, show them to her. At this point, the cat has already been buried. Do you really want to dig him up? The best thing that can happen from this (for you) is that the cat that was buried is NOT Alfie and he shows up. Now, obviously, this would mean that your neighbor's cat is deceased and of course, that is terrible for her but it doesn't seem as though there can be a happy ending for the both of you.

Now if you really want to see for yourself that the cat who has passed is Alfie, you can always ask her to show you where he is buried and ask her permission to exhume his body but you have to keep it in the back of your mind that she may say no. If she says yes, I'd call your vet and ask if someone can come out to scan the microchip.

If she says yes and allows you to see for yourself, you need to be prepared to see your little guy deceased. If it is him, The "real" Alfie passed over the bridge in record time and is being cared for there very lovingly until the two of you are reunited when the time is right. Personally? I wouldn't do it. Being a friend or family member with you for support if you do. :hugs:

If she says no- that it was definitely her own cat, give her your condolences and start looking for Alfie. Go to vet's offices and ask if they will put up a lost cat poster in their lobby. Post lost cat pictures around the neighborhood and ask people who know him to keep an eye out for him. Your neighbor may be willing to help you look for him.

This is a very sad thing to be going through. Good luck. We are here to help you if you need us. :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so hope that this is her cat, and not your Alphie. Kat0121 Kat0121 has told you everything I was trying to organize to say to you, and better than I probably would have done. I will keep you close in my thoughts as you try to sort through this tragic time, and keep hoping for you, as well.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was a child we had a white bi eyed cat that went missing. My mother put an ad in the newspaper and we looked everywhere we couldn't find him and somebody came to the door with a dead cat, white bi eyed and we went through all of the mourning and we buried the cat and I remember just crying my eyes out. The next day a kid came to the door and had our cat in his arms to this day I don't know who we buried in our yard but it was an exact look-alike for the cat we we thought we had lost. So keep an eye out for your baby, when you least expect it♡♡

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you don't know positively, I would let it alone. Imagine if YOU were the one that just buried your cat and someone came and wanted to dig him up. Either way, the cat died and it was someone's little one. I would leave a letter that explains if another black and white cat shows up and it happens to be hers, to contact you, THEN you could exhume the body. Surely since there are two missing, one will show up. In the meantime, if you believe the cat is Alfie, remember he was buried with respect and love. The 'essence' of him will always be bonded to your soul because love is spiritual, not subject to failing like the frail physical body. He will always be near and his new path will always parallele yours. There still might be a chance that it was NOT Alfie, after all you have a fifty/fifty chance. I've had cats disappear for at least ten days and show back up, especially if they aren't neutered.Since it has only been a couple of days, look around for a while longer. Make sure you contact your local shelter, and drive/ walk around in ever widening circles. He could even be locked in a shed somewhere. Watch that neighbors house to make sure her cat doesn't show back up too.
If he doesn't come back for a month, please come back and share a tribute with us, he deserves no less. My heart goes out to you, I will pray that YOUR Alfie appears!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittykinsss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I am going to speak to my neighbour later, explain the situation and ask her to message me if her cat does turn up.

This is honestly the worst situation I have ever been in. I don't want to upset my neighbour and cause further heartache which is the only thing stopping me from demanding a chip check. After reading your messages I have hope that my little fur baby will waltz back into my house. Thank you all, I'll keep you updated on the situation

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please do. I'll be holding you and your missing baby close in my heart.