Stuck in a loop with Humane Society

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snickersdoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like they also have tapeworm. That might explain why things seem to cycle as far as improvement goes. I found a white little rice like entity on one of their behinds today. Let the HS know, but good lord, everything medical is a fight with them. I think it might just be easier to give up at this point. On one hand it is good to know that I found something and I have had cats with worms before, but never when I COULD NOT MAKE THE VET APTS. This should be easy to solve. Oh, I hate this woman. I just need to give the cats back, get back to the gym and make sure the next time they have a fund raiser I can punch her face so hard her teeth fly out her ass.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry... but after all this, you are going to give the cats back to the HS? May I ask why?

Can you just treat them yourself? With your own Vet? I really do not understand why you are wanting to return the kitten? and why you are so adamant about having the HS pay/authorize their Vet care?

I am just under the opinion that once you adopt, unless there is something extremely serious, it is just like adopting a human baby/child. You do not return them....

I am just confused as to your logic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snickersdoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because we have not adopted them. By law, a shelter in our state cannot adopt out an unaltered animal. But they said we could foster them until they were old/big enough to get fixed but they would remain under the authority of the HS. They didn't say the animals were sick and they were going to fight us every step of the way. At this rate we will never get them well enough for the surgery in order to finalize the adoption. My logic is that perhaps if the animals are directly under their care again then the HS will actually take care of things rather than ignore them or argue with us. I don't care about adopting them now as much as I want their health taken care of and if I am not the one to resolve it then so be it. It is not how I would like this to play out, but things don't always go the way we hope. I feel we are just in the way of things getting sorted out. This middle-man nonsense isn't getting anyone anywhere. Just dragging it all out.

And actually quite a few humans adoptions are returned.I think the statistic is 10%.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Because we have not adopted them. By law, a shelter in our state cannot adopt out an unaltered animal. But they said we could foster them until they were old/big enough to get fixed but they would remain under the authority of the HS. They didn't say the animals were sick and they were going to fight us every step of the way. At this rate we will never get them well enough for the surgery in order to finalize the adoption. My logic is that perhaps if the animals are directly under their care again then the HS will actually take care of things rather than ignore them or argue with us. I don't care about adopting them now as much as I want their health taken care of and if I am not the one to resolve it then so be it. It is not how I would like this to play out, but things don't always go the way we hope. I feel we are just in the way of things getting sorted out. This middle-man nonsense isn't getting anyone anywhere. Just dragging it all out.

And actually quite a few humans adoptions are returned.I think the statistic is 10%.
I think most HS' will euthanize sick animals, honestly. If you give them back, it's pretty likely they will be put down. Our humane society is supposedly no kill but we found out a dog we were interested in adopting years ago had been euthanized because they had heartworms, even though it could have been treated/wasn't bad yet.

Keep in mind shelters are over-filled with animals that are abandoned, brought in, returned, etc. Most places can't afford to treat sick animals.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe I am missing something here, but I have to agree with Krienze Krienze that this is the time of year that shelters are up to their armpits in kittens, and it is also impacted by COVID 19, so unless you know for sure that this is a no kill shelter I assume that they might make one attempt to treat the kittens, perfunctorily, and then euthanize them. Animal shelter work is pretty much a numbers game.

I am certainly not challenging you on the fact that this is a mess and you have been seriously jerked around. Most AC and HS workers are not crusaders; it is a job which is why they can do it.

I had a serious issue about the adoption of a puppy from the Pasadena Humane Society 14 years ago which I will not go into; actually we never even got to the point of it being about any individual puppy. In the end, I got my current GSD from a high kill shelter in Missouri due to the network with which I am connected. It certainly is not just you.

Having said that, I would continue to fight for the kittens if possible as their fate is so uncertain.