Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

arleneb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. Have the capsules but Ill never get him to swallow them. going to try diluting  and boiling and see how that works

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sprinkle it onto their food. If it's dry. I add a little water so it sticks. my cats lick their bowl, so none gets wasted.

oceancitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please tell us how it went. My angel is very picky & stubborn. I haven't bought the product yet but when I do, I'm hoping it works.

kittyperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone tell me the difference between Lactoferrin and Colostrum or are they same?

myrth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my rescue kitty got sick not long after she came home. The vet gave her amoxicillin and didn't offer to test her, and seemed unconcerned. At the shelter she tested negative for FIV. But who the heck knows what all she was exposed to in that place? I am beginning to wonder. She cleared up for a short time, But then she got goopy eyes and sneezy again. I tried apple cider vinegar, with the mother. She got better for 6-8 weeks. Now it's back AGAIN. White, goopy puss coming from her eyes, and an occasional sneeze. I have had her on the ACV for a couple days and she's looking MUCH better. But I have decided to put her on l-lysine as well. I got human grade powder. I mixed 500 mg of l-lysine and 1/4 tsp ACV with a little warm water and a half can of her wet food. She gobbled it down. Hopefully this will get her back to good health soon. I am going to take her to a new vet, I think. She is an only cat, indoor only, so whatever she has she probably acquired at the shelter. Does this sound like herpes?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
So, my rescue kitty got sick not long after she came home. The vet gave her amoxicillin and didn't offer to test her, and seemed unconcerned. At the shelter she tested negative for FIV. But who the heck knows what all she was exposed to in that place? I am beginning to wonder. She cleared up for a short time, But then she got goopy eyes and sneezy again. I tried apple cider vinegar, with the mother. She got better for 6-8 weeks. Now it's back AGAIN. White, goopy puss coming from her eyes, and an occasional sneeze. I have had her on the ACV for a couple days and she's looking MUCH better. But I have decided to put her on l-lysine as well. I got human grade powder. I mixed 500 mg of l-lysine and 1/4 tsp ACV with a little warm water and a half can of her wet food. She gobbled it down. Hopefully this will get her back to good health soon. I am going to take her to a new vet, I think. She is an only cat, indoor only, so whatever she has she probably acquired at the shelter. Does this sound like herpes?
She does need to go back to the vet.  If you don't have faith in the original vet, then you should find a new one. It's hard to know if it's herpes without seeing her but the following articles should give you more info.
[article="29716"]Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups  [/article][article="22329"]Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis  [/article][article="32495"]Ocular Eye Herpes In Cats  [/article]
I hope she feels better soon.  

valkyri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Viralys vs Ensyl F...both products made by Vetoquinol corporation

How are the two different in respect to the treatment of feline herpes? Are they interchangeable? Is one better than the other for stubborn infections? Does one have a better or more effective active ingredient?

We have been using Ensyl but I just recently bit the bullet and purchased Viralys from Amazon hoping that it will work better. The Ensyl helped, significantly, but not as much as I hoped for.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I haven't read the entire text of the thread. Thank you so much. Hugs. -V

gnapham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been giving my herpes kitty Earl Grey lysine (1000 mg daily) and Jarrow brand lactoferrin (250 mg daily) for several days now and his eyes have stopped weeping! He was a chronic weeper from the time that I adopted him about a month ago and also had a bout of conjunctivitis. It could be reduced stress contributing to his eye health as he is adjusting to being my cat, but I do think it may be the lactoferrin helping because he did have a trip to get his nails trimmed on Wednesday which is not really a calming event, and his eyes are still doing great. So I will be a lactoferrin user for life. I have seen the review that suggests that supplementing lysine is not recommended, so I will stop that once his sneezing also seems under control. Does anyone keep their cat on lactoferrin indefinitely?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES.  My cat will be on lactoferrin indefinitely.  Lactoferrin is definitely the key here.  Using only lactoferrin, sprinkling the contents of the capsule into the food and mixing well, seems to work great for my kitty with the post-herpes runny eye.  When I run out of lactoferrin like I have now, the eye does start to run again, not as badly as it used to, but it is still running some clear liquid.  I will be ordering the lactoferrin again!  Since it is not a medicine but more of a food, being derived from bovine colostrum, it will not interact with any medications like antibiotics or antivirals a cat might be taking.  Google it and you can read some of the research on it. 

"Research has found out that lactoferrin possesses a potent anti-viral activity and may be useful in preventing certain types of viral infections in humans” (Hasegawa) Therefore bovine colostrums lactoferrin and its other beneficial components may help people suffering with herpes."

Hasegawa, K, et al. Inhibition with lactoferrin of in vitro infection with human herpes virus. Japanese Journal of Medical Science and Biology 47:73-85 (1994). Both human and bovine lactoferrin inhibit infection with human herpes simplex virus and human cytomegalovirus in cell cultures.

Last edited:

gnapham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay, I'll continue indefinitely as well. I did read the 2003 paper on feline herpes (I have access through my university as a PhD student) but none of the human papers yet. I will check out the non-feline papers to see if there is anything about oral efficacy. The cat paper was with direct application to cell cultures and viral cultures, but based on what I've read on the forum it does seem to work orally for our kitties as well. I might take the dosage down to 125 mg daily and see how he does with that after I'm sure his eye problems are over, to cut back on costs of continually ordering the capsules. I haven't seen any running at all from his eyes for the past few days he's been on lactoferrin.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pled consider Polyprenyl immunostimulant. My cat has not had a single herpes flare-up since he completed a round of Polyprenyl. It is a joy to see that he doesn't have to suffer through vet visits and antibiotics and discomfort.

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor 10 year old boy has caught some kind of cold from our new kitten. Both have been vaccinated on schedule. Main symptoms are sneezing ( not rapid fire but often enough to notice) and head shaking. ( no nasal drainage)

My 10 year old seems to have caught it worse as he is coughing and was lethargic . We're on l-lysine , both gel and powder. Have had clavamox injection, and 10 day course of amoxicillin .

Both cats seem much better now but are still sneezing occasionally, heading shaking, and coughing once in a while. It seems like they just can't kick it. ( it's been about a month now)

What is the UR panel and what viruses/bacteria does it test for? How invasive is this test? At this point I think I need to have this done to find out for sure what were battling so I can get my babies healthy.

catlady2lives

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed your thread while doing the same research it appears you did in 2014 for an FIV cat with runny eyes - am very interested if your results are still positive???   anything new in your protocol??

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read the article in full and the premise makes sense however I was bothered  by the fact that a recommendation for a specific product came from a person with vested interest in the sale of the product (the owner.) Nowhere in the post was that mentioned. 

As good as the ingredients appear to be in Young Again, the pet food industry is not FDA regulated so there is no way to know for certain that what is stated is fact.

I am not saying that you are not dedicated to animals or do not have the best intentions but I would want to hear from either a credible third part offering a recommendation of the product, or see recommendations from many pet owners. I checked hundreds of Google responses and found mention of the product exclusively on cat breeders websites, and those usually discussed how it helped their cats with diabetes. There was mention on one veterinary site, but it was because the practice sold the product. When I searched Google news I could find no articles written about it.     

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I read the article in full and the premise makes sense however I was bothered  by the fact that a recommendation for a specific product came from a person with vested interest in the sale of the product (the owner.) Nowhere in the post was that mentioned. 

As good as the ingredients appear to be in Young Again, the pet food industry is not FDA regulated so there is no way to know for certain that what is stated is fact.

I am not saying that you are not dedicated to animals or do not have the best intentions but I would want to hear from either a credible third part offering a recommendation of the product, or see recommendations from many pet owners. I checked hundreds of Google responses and found mention of the product exclusively on cat breeders websites, and those usually discussed how it helped their cats with diabetes. There was mention on one veterinary site, but it was because the practice sold the product. When I searched Google news I could find no articles written about it.     
Thank you for reading the article. I did not mention a product , but talked about the technology. In order to find the product you would have to go to my web site. My signature line does give the name of the company and lists me as the owner. I thought that would be the only way that someone would identify the product and that was the disclosure. I  thought I was being as transparent as I could with out naming the product and company directly. If I name the product then people are upset that I'm promoting a product. My goal was to get the information out to generate a discussion. In the future I will be happy to make any disclosure that the group would feel most comfortable with. Just let me know what you prefer and I will get approval from the site staff.

With regards to your question. Are you looking for more independent information on the supplement or the food? I will be happy to supply independent studies on Nucleotides, if that is what you are looking for. You could also speak with Dr. Marge Wissman she is very familiar with the various products and I have worked with her for years. She also lives in Florida and has her own specialty practice, as well as working for one of the the major veterinary labs and acts as an exotic animal consultant. She wrote the article that I posted after reviewing the available research. I can put you in contact with her if you like. Full disclosure, Dr. Wissman acts as a consultant for my company and I have her on a small monthly retainer. I receive numerous medical files on dogs and cats each month and  sometimes have questions outside my experience. Dr Wissman is widely published and is a much better writer than I'm, so she does write and edit some of the company articles. 

The reason I asked permission to post on the site was to correct some of the misinformation I was reading when people talked about my product. It was difficult to create products without starch and when people say the product has 4% starch when it only has 1% I think the correct information should be known. I have heard for years that consumers are disappointed that they can never get the information they want from a company and if they call a company they usually get the run a round. I try to be as transparent as possible short of giving away trade secrets. So everyone you have an opportunity to ask questions and have direct access to the top. So what would you like to know?

Just a little about me. I'm very direct and I'm not shy or afraid of criticism. I'm also capable of change, so feel free to shape my view. I love information and I love making our animals lives better. I have pioneered and produce foods for dozens of different species and have done so since 1987. I did not create a carnivore cat food because it would make me more successful; I did it because the big boys would not. Eventually the big boys will understand that they need to get away from starch and only you the public can force them to do so.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I asked permission to post on the site was to correct some of the misinformation I was reading when people talked about my product...............
If that's truly the reason you "asked to post here"....would you really have a problem adhering to that purpose....and, therefore NOT interjecting in threads where there had been NO mention of your "product" until you inserted it there ?

I find that every one of your posts has at its core an intent to advertise/market/promote your product.

If you only wished "to correct some of the misinformation", perhaps you could use 'Google alerts' or a facsimile to alert you to any reference of your "product" on the site - then you might follow up to ensure no one is 'misinformed'.

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If that's truly the reason you "asked to post here"....would you really have a problem adhering to that purpose....and, therefore NOT interjecting in threads where there had been NO mention of your "product" until you inserted it there ?

I find that every one of your posts has at its core an intent to advertise/market/promote your product.

If you only wished "to correct some of the misinformation", perhaps you could use 'Google alerts' or a facsimile to alert you to any reference of your "product" on the site - then you might follow up to ensure no one is 'misinformed'.
I have never posted on a site like this before and I'm still learning. I accept your critique and will do my best to adjust.

I certainly do not mind open discussions, but I would prefer they were about ideas that benefits our cats and not about the parsing of words. Everyone here talks and relays their experience and everyone's experience is the sum total of each of our lives. I cannot separate what I have learned in 30 years of making pet food any more than a breeder can forget her experience raising kittens, when she gives advice to a new kitten owner on this site. Each of us brings a perspective to the site and all benefit from an open exchange. You may disagree with me and I may disagree with someone else, but in the end people have more information in which to make a decision. If someone disagrees with what is said by all means challenge it. I love facts and truth and will give the same in return.

Thank you.