Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

mestena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has been on Lysine for about 6 mos along with Famciclivor for about 4 mos.   Do you add the Lactoferrin in addition to the famciclivor?    I'm afraid of putting too much into her system - she's about 10 mos. but only 6 pounds (tiny girl).

Thanks!

jinx82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay first post :) I just bought my first cat randomly off Kijiji and as soon as i got him home his eyes started discharging pretty bad, plus sneezing on top of that at least 10 times a day.  I didn't really know what to do so over to vet i went, and turns out he had ear mites, plus was diagnosed with feline herpes, since I'm new to cats as soon as i heard "herpes" I was like umm what? herpes? and at that time I'm wondering how he could of got that being only 3 months old, then the vet explained to me that the virus is passed down thru litters and its not as bad as it sounds. After they cleaned his ears and gave me a bottle of Viralys L-Lysine in maple flavor, which my cat loves (thank god), they showed me how to administer it with the provided syringe and within 2 days my kitten was looking back to himself.  I was only giving him .65ml twice a day as the vet told me, and the bottle was only 12.99 +tax which is half the price as Amazon, so I was happy about that.  My cat hasn't needed any really in awhile, but if i see he starts sneezing, or discharge starts appearing then I will give him a .65ml evry 12hrs until it clears up again.   Is that ok to do? Last thing I want to do is hurt my little fella, so I want to make sure it's ok to use the L'Lysine when I feel it's needed?  Thanks guys happy I found this site.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Many have used L-lysine to treat herpes virus. Some use it daily. There was a link to an article posted here a few weeks back that suggested that L-lysine was not beneficial; but, I'm not sold on the idea yet.

I personally don't use Lysine as frequently with my herpes kitties; but, that is due in part that some do not like the taste and others it gives them diarrhea.

My usual cocktail for herpes is Famcyclovir (an antiviral), Idoxuridine (an antiviral eye drop), and Doxycycline (an antibiotic) or Verafox (an antibiotic made specifically for kitties with secondary bacterial infections associated with Feline Herpes.) I typically start with Just Famcyclovir or Idox and add on the others if needed.

oceancitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I really appreciate your post on this topic as my little guy also suffers from this affliction. What I'm wondering is, is there any kind of liquid treatment? I can't  my cat the Lysine as it's in powder form & my cat Angel refuses to eat any wet food. Any suggestions?

judeez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why doesn't the powdered L-Lysine work?  The only other L-Lysine, that I know of is the kind in the tube, which is soft.  My cat won't touch her food, when I use the soft kind.

I started my cat on the Lactoferrin today, but I am kind of worried, about using it, so I am beginning her on one capsule a day.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Hello,

How sure are you, that this Lactoferrin is safe for cats?

Thank you.
If you look back to the first page of this thread, you'll see links to studies on using lactoferrin on cats.  I had a cat with herpes and the lactoferrin helped her symptoms more than the lysine did.  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Hi I really appreciate your post on this topic as my little guy also suffers from this affliction. What I'm wondering is, is there any kind of liquid treatment? I can't  my cat the Lysine as it's in powder form & my cat Angel refuses to eat any wet food. Any suggestions?
I wonder if it dissolves in water.  I don't know if it does, but you could try mixing it with water and giving to him in a syringe.

kittyperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for such a late response. I have had the same issue with 2 cats to the point that they could not smell so totaly stopped eating. I have been successful giving L-Lisein and Lactofferin. I crush both up between two spoons to a powder, disolve it in a small amount of water...us a feeding syring and give it slowly in the corner of the mouth. Works great....no taste either.

kittyperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crush between two spoons to a powder and dilute with water. Use a feeding syringe to feed into the corner of cats mouth.

oceancitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have this in tube form?? that might be a help to my cat if I can get him to eat it. He's really picky, especially with any food that's not dry. I'll look for it in tube form. Thank you!

oceancitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mm, I could try that although I'm sure it wont be easy. :) Although he has been getting better about taking his eyedrops.

jinx82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it comes in paste and gel. I use the gel form, which has a maple flavor and my cat loves it. My vet also gave me a syringe, so I can properly measure the dose for my kitten, which is .65ML and full grown cat 1.25ML. You can buy it on Amazon. Com

oceancitygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I wonder how it works since herpes is a virus & I know nothing can kill a virus. My cat's main symptoms are a lot of brown water falls out of his eyes, down his chin onto his chest & he gets loose stool 2 or 3x a week. Does this stuff help with the symptoms?

jinx82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This stuff is exactly what you need, as my kitten who is almost 5 months now, started using it around 3 months and within 2-3 days using it every 12 hrs. His symptoms have vanished. Your cat will be thanking you after [emoji]9786[/emoji]

arleneb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't seem to find a gel or paste product on Amazon. Does anyone have a product name?

Thanks