Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In researching proactive methods of slowing down the progression of Chumley's FIV, the FIVtherapy site had quite a bit of information up on the anti-viral properties of Lactoferrin. There are a number of both in vitro and clinical studies of Bovine Lactoferrin for various things: one of them is Feline Herpes Virus.

In fact, one was published just this year. Evaluation of Lysine and Lysine-Lactoferrin Association in Cats Infected by Feline Herpesvirus-1

From the study:

Here's an in vitro study from 2003: Effects of bovine lactoferrin on in vitro replication of feline herpesvirus. - PubMed - NCBI

I've been giving Billy various doses of L-lysine to get him to stop sneezing. We got his runny eyes under control with lysine, but he remained very sneezey.

When I found the information on Lactoferrin in regards to herpes (I didn't have the 2013 study at the time, but human study papers), I added Bovine Lactoferrin to his supplement regimen.

I didn't track how long it took to take effect. :anon: I just noticed one day that he rarely sneezes any longer. I asked Gary if he'd heard Bill sneezing much, and upon reflection, he said "I can't remember the last time I heard him sneeze." :D

I confirmed with Jarrow that their lactoferrin is Bovine Lactoferrin. This is important, because lactoferrin is also made from transgenically modified rice that produce human lactoferrin.

I am giving my cats 250mg daily, split into two doses, 125mg in the morning and 125mg in the evening. The Jarrow lactoferrin comes in 250mg capsules: easy to open and sprinkle on half a capsule and mix into food. I did not buy the 2013 paper to see the doses used for either lysine or lactoferrin.

It is palatable to all of my cats, some of whom are very picky (it has so many benefits, I give it to all of them now).
I rescued a cat with conjunctivitis, upper respiratory infection, ear mites, fleas, well she was a reck. Now that her symptoms are gone, they came back.
Tonight, I cleaned their ears. Now my other cat is having eye drainage and red scleara's.
I have added L-Lysine in the past. I'm considering getting that Lactoferrin to put in their food also.
Both cats have been vaccinated for Kitty HIV and Kitty HEPC.
My shelter cat is on antibiotics because of the red sclera. Do I take them both to the vet and ask for the shot? Or will home regimen of Lactoferrin and L-Lysin do the trick?
One of them has tearing. Now the other one has tearing. It's getting to be a mess.
I'm glad you posted about this. I have been researching, looking for something.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oneandahalfcats, I recommended lactoferrin to someone that volunteers as a foster for a local shelter. It cleared up her kittens' sneezies so fast, she recommended it to the shelter - apparently they have so many URI kitties (and have, for some time), they have a separate ward called the "A-choo Kitties" - and they've been working to develop strategies to get the snotty kitties adopted out.

They put a few days of their own research into it, and found a supplement they'll be bulk ordering. I found it REALLY interesting that it has colostrum AND lactoferrin in it (also "Lysozyme")! It's by Allergy Research: http://www.allergyresearchgroup.com/Laktoferrin-with-Colostrum-90-Vegetarian-Caps-p-119.html

This is a LOT more expensive than the Jarrow brand (also bovine) lactoferrin I'm using. But it'll be REALLY interesting to see what happens...

When I have any news, I'll update the thread.
It's $54 dollars a bottle for lactinferrin with colostrum!

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and how do i incorporate collidal silver?
Some people told me to give the cat oral amounts. Then wipe their eyes under with a cotton ball. Some say put drops into the cats eyes. I started using the colloidal silver as a wipe under the eyes. It really helps. I'm also using eye drop antibiotics from the vet. SO I cannot use both drops.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I honestly cannot believe this. :( I heard someone sneezing yesterday on and off and wasn't sure who until dinner time. It is Perla. :sniffle: Her left eye is dripping like a faucet and her right eye lids are all red. Her right eye NEVER had an issue before. She is sneezing and rubbing her nose. Can you believe the timing of this?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :paranoid: Right after I read the thread about the Lactoferrin. Ironic and odd. I guess I didn't KNOCK WOOD or something. :para3: She has not had a major flare up with symptoms in a very, very long time. Well over a year or more. Also, since she has been doing so well other than the weepy eye, I took her off of Lysine many months ago.

SO received the Lactoferrin yesterday. Started Perla on 500 mg. of Lysine with the added 1/2 capsule 125 mg. of Lactoferrin (twice daily both) last night. SHE ATE IT mixed in with her Fancy Feast and I thought GOOD, this may be easy. WRONG. Well, this morning, not so lucky. I had to pour some Fortiflora over the canned to get her to eat. :( :frusty: She makes me crazy. Any little change to her food no matter how minute, she usually detects. IF I have too, I will syringe her twice daily with the meds mixed in with wet. OR I will make up my own capsules and have to pill her with them after I roll them in salmon oil. She needs to receive these meds twice daily no matter what it takes. :nothappy:. My poor little :princess: Perla. I am worried about her now and hope the Lysine and Lacto will do their job so no vet. :cross:

Thought I would share a couple of pictures of my darling. ;)

AND, of course her famous profile sure to bring a smile. :D :happy3: :heart3:
Do you have the websites where I can get more information about lactoferrin and l-lysine dose amounts?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Perla responded quickly!

I ordered the Jarrow lactoferrin from Amazon and it arrived today, three days earlier than they said! :clap:
I've given Pushy his first dose with dinner tonight. He ate it up like he eats up everything. I'll update after he's been on it a while. I have really high hopes for this to finally stop the chronic weeping.
I got something like this from amazon just now. I'm going to add it to their canned cat food. Now that they are over tummy troubles, I can stop changing their food. I hope someone answer's my question about how many milligrams to give each adult cat (7-10lbs). $26 vs $54 the lesser cost wins!
The label says the same thing.

Attachments

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some people told me to give the cat oral amounts. Then wipe their eyes under with a cotton ball. Some say put drops into the cats eyes. I started using the colloidal silver as a wipe under the eyes. It really helps. I'm also using eye drop antibiotics from the vet. SO I cannot use both drops.
I’ve never heard of this. I use the silver in their water. Wouldlove totry this. Do you delute the colloidal silver or use it full strength? And you said under the eyes? Not on the lids?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve never heard of this. I use the silver in their water. Wouldlove totry this. Do you delute the colloidal silver or use it full strength? And you said under the eyes? Not on the lids?
Loren8478 Loren8478 I didn't want to believe the people on facebook. I didn't want to hurt my cat. So I did my own research. It does help. I recommend you do your own research also. I'm not fully comfortable with the use of colloidal silver, because I have not tried all these ways to use colloidal silver myself. They also told me to use boric acid for tear stains. I know what you are thinking, I am not talking about BORAX the detergent that kills fleas and mites. The say colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic save for human consumption also.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those that give both lactoferrin and lysine. Are you giving them at different meals times or together?
We give them together twice a day. Our problem is that lactoferrin can upset Buddy's tummy after he's been taking it for awhile.

But right now, we don't have much of a choice since he's currently in the throes of a wicked flare up, and he has been improving by leaps and bounds since we started him back on it. Thus far, giving him homemade slippery elm bark syrups a couple of hours before his L-lysine and lactoferrin seems to be helping. *fingers crossed*

Perhaps stephanietx stephanietx can help you out re: the colloidal silver. :)

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We give them together twice a day. Our problem is that lactoferrin can upset Buddy's tummy after he's been taking it for awhile.

But right now, we don't have much of a choice since he's currently in the throes of a wicked flare up, and he has been improving by leaps and bounds since we started him back on it. Thus far, giving him homemade slippery elm bark syrups a couple of hours before his L-lysine and lactoferrin seems to be helping. *fingers crossed*

Perhaps stephanietx stephanietx can help you out re: the colloidal silver. :)
Homemade slippery elms syrup? U make it? If so, recipe please.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homemade slippery elms syrup? U make it? If so, recipe please.
I use this one from Tanya's site, but your vet may have a preference for another recipe.

But we only give our cat slippery elm bark syrup with our vet's blessing because we know from experience that lactoferrin upsets our cat's tummy, and there are times when we really, REALLY need to give it to him anyway. :wink:

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use this one from Tanya's site, but your vet may have a preference for another recipe.

But we only give our cat slippery elm bark syrup with our vet's blessing because we know from experience that lactoferrin upsets our cat's tummy, and there are times when we really, REALLY need to give it to him anyway. :wink:
Yes. Thank you very much. I’ve used slipery elm for years but just mixed in water and made a slurry that I syringe in their mouths. It’s great stuff.

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and how do i incorporate collidal silver?
What do you consider a genuine and true brand of colloidal silver? I glhsve tried several brandsand find they’re bogus. Reviews on Amazon reveal this as well. Many claiming their brand is colloidal is snake oil.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No but i use vetericyn. Is this better?
Loren8478 Loren8478 I'm not sure. I'm scared to use it. It's amazon from China.
Is vetericyn over the internet as well?
I'm going to try feeding her the colloidal silver as well for sneezing/coughing next time. I'm giving the L-Lysine, and waiting for the other stuff to get here next week.

salonstjacques

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello . My Snowshoe Simease Beethoven has has a chronic herpies virus. I Just found out about Lactoferrin.I always knew about Lysine but never tried it so I’m trying both I will let you all know in a few weeks If this works it’s going to be a miracle because this guy is the worst I have ever seen Stay tuned .......

Attachments

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't have herpes but I clicked on this thread since it had so many replies and I like learning about cat health. After reading the first page or so I think my manager's cat has herpes! He told me she is always sneezing and has runny eyes. They assumed she has allergies per the vet but this has been going on for years and they never figured out what the allergy was. It just totally sounds like herpes! I'm going to recommend this supplement to him so he can give it to his poor cat. At least I hope he will.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats don't have herpes but I clicked on this thread since it had so many replies and I like learning about cat health. After reading the first page or so I think my manager's cat has herpes! He told me she is always sneezing and has runny eyes. They assumed she has allergies per the vet but this has been going on for years and they never figured out what the allergy was. It just totally sounds like herpes! I'm going to recommend this supplement to him so he can give it to his poor cat. At least I hope he will.
Thanks for telling him! My vet said with blood work, he can recommend a treatment. I suggested l-lysine, colostrum , and the lactoferrin.
He said that it couldn't hurt, even though there is no research stating it will help the symptoms of herpes.
Herpes is contagious. My resident kitty caught it from my newer rescue cat. So, food and water dishes should not be shared by your boss' cat and your cats. Saliva, is the main transporter I believe.
I have begun the supplements in their wet food. I can tell a difference in their overall wellbeing, and eye symptoms. My resident kitty is 10 years old, and when she has these supplements; her energy and temperament improves.
They still get dry food when I am in a hurry.