Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

lwebstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, new here but have been lurking for a bit. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or ask here. My cat has been on L-Lysine for about 2months now and I was going to add Lactoferrin as the stubborn herpes eye infection just won't go away completely. I got Jarrow's Lactoferrin but my cat vomitted right after. Anyone else have any experience with their cats vomiting on lactoferrin?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In fact, for upper respiratory infections in general, I have had good success without antibiotics. I use the 500mg of lysine 2x a day, 1/2 of the 250mg lactoferrin cap 2x a day, 1/4 cap of Transfer Factor Plus (for humans) 2x a day, and one 500mg cap of colostrum 2x a day. In my adult cats, this clears up URIs in a few days.
I just read this with great interest, as our cat with FIV and FHV almost always has some kind of URI, which the vet always wants to treat with Convenia.  Ack!

What brand of colostrum do you use?  That's the only thing you mentioned that we don't already have on hand, and I just want to make sure we get the right one. ;-)

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you mix it in with your cat's food? My cat never vomited on it. I use the Jarrow brand too.

Try half a cap, mixed in with food, twice a day. If your cat vomits, try it with a quarter cap and see what happens.

Hi, new here but have been lurking for a bit. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or ask here. My cat has been on L-Lysine for about 2months now and I was going to add Lactoferrin as the stubborn herpes eye infection just won't go away completely. I got Jarrow's Lactoferrin but my cat vomitted right after. Anyone else have any experience with their cats vomiting on lactoferrin?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was on 250 mg of lactoferrin and 500 mg of lysine per day for almost two years. He did well on it. I have kept him on half of that amount for the past almost two years, since trying Polyprenyl.

He had a weepy eye, but nothing like his old outbreaks a few days ago. I went back to the double dose of lysine and lactoferrin and he is back to normal after four days.

There is a link to an Italian study earlier in this thread. I based the lowered dosage on that. Our vet has suggested that our cat remain on the lysine and lactoferrin indefinitely.

I would like to hear from people who have had their cats on this lactoferrin product for a while…..long enough to determine if it helps or not.  Also is this just for cats with herpes, FIV or both?
I have tried several things that really don't seem to be helping or help for a short period of time and then stop.  
My cat has chronic rhinitis and I live in fear of him not being able to smell his food which will cause him to stop eating.

juniemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I have been told on the FIV forum is that lysine doesn't really work for FIV  It sure hasn't done much for my  FIV snuffler 

I did read a couple of articles by Vets that said to use Flonase so I may try that  

This is one difficult thing to treat   Its distressing 

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Upon recommendation of this thread, I've been giving Albus lactoferrin mixed with lysine for about three weeks now. I have the Viralys gel. I follow the dosage on there- 1/4 teaspoon- and break open a Jarrow lactoferrin capsule and mix it together in a little medicine cup, then scrape it into an oral syringe and shoot it in his mouth. He's not happy about it, but he's gotten used to it. I've been doing that twice a day. I was doing it before, sprinkled on his food, but it was hard to tell how much he was actually getting, since he's not the only cat in the house, and he doesn't always finish his food right away. It's too expensive to not be sure he's getting the full dosage! Especially when I was making the food for him so it was extra-enticing- browned ground lamb and turkey. The cat was eating better than we were ;)

Our vet diagnosed him with FHV a couple years ago. His main symptoms are runny eyes (mostly the left one) and congestion. He sometimes has sneezing fits and sometimes does that hacking cough thing. For about a year now, we've also been putting him in a nebulizer chamber we built him from these directions. It's mostly palliative, and I think he actually enjoys it- it's a box (automatically a favorite thing for a cat!), and it's warm because we have a heating pad under the blanket in there. He gets in there and faces the side the tube comes in. We don't medicate the vapor, it's just steam.

I'm not sure how much the lysine and lactoferrin are helping. I think the congestion is what concerns me the most. He's about 14 years old (rescue, so who knows- January will mark 10 years with him for us) and he's starting to slow down anyway. He's lost weight in the last few years; he was a healthy 14, almost 15 pounds at his heaviest. He's got a big frame, so the vet said it was ok as long as he didn't get bigger than that. He's down to about 11 pounds now, and he just feels small to me. He's getting those "old cat eyes", where the color is darkening, and they're looking a little sunken. They're not cloudy at all, though. The discharge that's coming out is brown-ish/clear and the vet doesn't seem concerned about it. His nasal discharge is clear and not too abundant. I just get "showered" when he sneezes. :rolleyes: Once in awhile, I notice him licking his lips a more often. Too bad cats can't blow their nose. Don't think I didn't try an infant nose aspirator, but he'd have none of that!

Anyway, I don't think he can easily breathe through his nose anymore, even after the lysine/lactoferrin and the nebulizer box. When he breathes, his upper lips along the sides of his muzzle move in and out, so I think he's breathing more through his mouth. It sounds sniffly. :disappointed:

I'm really interested in this Polyprenyl treatment, though. I'm going to talk to my vet about it. We probably can't work it into our budget until January, though.

What else can I be doing?? He also has stomatitis, and when he had his annual checkup in August, the vet said it might be time to take a couple more teeth out, but didn't elaborate. I'm wondering if that could be bothering him- I assume that could cause a FHV flare-up, if he's in pain from that? *Sigh* I'm going to talk to my vet about doing house calls. He's getting too grumpy to take to the vet- certainly doesn't help keep his stress levels down.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
We've had very positive results with the Polyprenyl, so if you can save up for that, that's great! The treatment is 15 days. Twice daily doses.

In the meantime, as your vet about putting Albus on Famciclovir (can be used up to 3 times a day, but most don't need it more than twice daily). And maybe try an antihistamine as well as that can sometimes offer additional relief.

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that are vomiting when given Lactoferrin. Has anyone else had this issue? I just started them on it two weeks ago. I was using smaller mg leading up to the full 250mg. At have the dose they get sick. Pleyhelp. Also I’m really not seeing any improvements. Two of my other cats seem to get well to a point and then start getting sick all over again. I’m at a loss.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would stop the lactoferrin if it makes them throw up. I started giving my herpes girl colloidal silver about 5 months or so ago and it's helped immensely.

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I have them on colloidal silver, lysine , taurine and a raw food diet. I was wondering if someone who is lactose intolerant just can’t handle Lactoferrin and if that’s the case with my two cats.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have them on colloidal silver, lysine , taurine and a raw food diet. I was wondering if someone who is lactose intolerant just can’t handle Lactoferrin and if that’s the case with my two cats.
To be honest, we weren't sure if our cat's nausea was from the lactoferrin, a food allergy, if he felt worse than he seemed to let on during flare ups, or what. So we'd gradually work up to a maintenance dose of lactoferrin (Jarrow brand), and he'd tolerate it for awhile. Then he'd start barfing again...lather, rinse, repeat, etc.

So we finally gave up on it, and are currently looking into other options to help to modulate his immune system. :)

Hope you figure out what works best for your kitty soon! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Loren8478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be honest, we weren't sure if our cat's nausea was from the lactoferrin, a food allergy, if he felt worse than he seemed to let on during flare ups, or what. So we'd gradually work up to a maintenance dose of lactoferrin (Jarrow brand), and he'd tolerate it for awhile. Then he'd start barfing again...lather, rinse, repeat, etc.

So we finally gave up on it, and are currently looking into other options to help to modulate his immune system. :)

Hope you figure out what works best for your kitty soon! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you cheeser. Unfortunately that’s where I’m at. I just quit giving it to them. The other cars do fine with it

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those that give both lactoferrin and lysine. Are you giving them at different meals times or together?