Struvite Crystals

dolphins954

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat was licking 24/7 last Tuesday. I brought him to the vet and they did a UA and they found crystals in his sample. The vet prescribed him antibiotics and pain meds. We brought him back Wednesday as he wasn't feeling well and they did a catheter as his bladder was full and couldn't pee.

Unfortunately he wasn't doing well again this morning so we brought him back and the vet said he has a severe infection. They did an additional IV.

He has been fed the Rachael Ray dry food. He's only 2 years old. I didn't look closely enough at the ingredients but apparently this dry food is like the McDonalds of cat food.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but please avoid this food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolphins954

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yikes!! Yes it isn't specifically Rachael Rays dry food it is ALL dry food. So bad for cats, especially males, and now especially now that he blocked once. It can likely happen again. Get him off dry food period and on any variety of canned foods. Start here: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection
Yes thank you. He is now on the Royal Canin UA wet food.

They should really put a warning label on the dry cat food or something.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After this has passed, look at that site for long term foods that are more affordable. The prescription diets are SO overpriced and some aren't even that great.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, use wet food. Friskies and Fancy Feast in the grocery store are fine. Mingo has this problem, too, and as he doesn't drink enough water, I add a couple of tablespoons of water to his food and stir it up. BTW, FF Gravy Lovers has the least amount of ash in it, which makes it better for crystal-prone cats.

Don't beat yourself up for not knowing. I've had cats all my life and didn't know this until Mingo got crystals. The rest I've learned here on the Cat Site. Stay tuned!

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I
After this has passed, look at that site for long term foods that are more affordable. The prescription diets are SO overpriced and some aren't even that great.
His sorry if this is late to ask but how is your cat doing now? My cat went through the same as well, we are on day 5 ever since they removed his first obstruction. I wanted to know how your cat did post removal.

I totally agree with what you said about people not warning enough about dry food. Not even the people in the stores (obviously because they want our money). I had NO idea dry food could cause something so bad. If I had known I obviously would not have given my cat any at all. I think this is discussed so little among everyone that has cats. I used to think cats needed some dry food in their diet for a balance! This needs to be spreaded by mouth by all vets, cat owners and store staff. Not many people know how to read cat forums or even think there is a need to Google it until something bad happens.