Struvite Crystals 1 Week Ago

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old boy developed struvite crystals. I normally feed all my boys canned only food, but Thompson just had a depo medrol shot for a rodent ulcer and I just couldn’t keep up with his appetite! He usually eats a small amount of kibble but was eating up to 1/2 a cup a day. Long story short, he developed crystals and had to be unblocked at the emergency vet.

The vet gave me instructions to monitor his urine output closely but didn’t specify how long. I have taken all kibble away and he is only on a canned diet. He isn’t getting his anti inflammatory meds or bupronephrine anymore.

I have been monitoring him very closely. Watching him every time I see him pee in the box to make sure he isn’t straining or having pain. He seems to be peeing a normal volume as well. Just wondering how long I should keep this close of monitoring up? It’s been 7 days.

Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check with your vet on Tuesday, but for some reason, almost all instructions such as "watch closely" are for seven to ten days, depending. If you continue until Tuesday, that would give you the ten days, and he'll most likely say you are out of the woods for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's a rodent ulcer? And how's your furbaby doing now?
He’s great now! We did have to go back to the vet one more time, almost 2 weeks after the first visit, because he was having trouble peeing again. Turns out it wasn’t crystals again but just inflammation and probably stress.

A rodent ulcer is also an eisonopholic granuloma. It is an immune response that shows up on the lip.

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear he's doing great now! You must feel some welcome relief!

And thank you! Learning something new everyday :)