Struggling with solo play

SSimone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat, an only-cat, loves to play, but he only ever plays with my husband and me. He doesn't show much interest in playing by himself. Or maybe he doesn't know how to play by himself, as he grew up as a stray and either had to focus on hunting, or had other cats to play with..?
The problem is that in the evenings, he's constantly demanding to be entertained (played with) by running around and meowing loudly and non-stop! Sometimes he has also "attacked" me (lunged at me, tried to bite me or swatted at me), I think out of frustration because I tried to ignore his yowling.

He has all kinds of balls and strings and kicking-toys lying around, and I rotate them to keep them interesting, but he barely touches any of them. He also has food puzzles, which he loves, but as I have to limit the amount of treats, those only keep him entertained for a little while.
I do, of course, play with him. Usually in the morning for 5-10 mins, and then once or twice in the evening for a bit longer. I've tried to tire him out in the evening, so he would be able to relax a bit, but it doesn't work because he just stops before he gets exhausted. His idea of a fun evening is to play for 10 minutes, have a small snack, rest for 5 minutes and do it all over again a thousand times! I on the other hand would love to be able to just relax on the couch every once in a while, especially after a long day at work, while the cat entertains himself.

Any ideas, suggestions, tips for how to "teach" a cat to play by himself? Are there any good toys that would encourage solo play? His favourite interactive toy is a rod with a small lure (the bumble bee from christhecat.com) attached. Also, very important to note is that all his toys have to be very sturdy or very cheap, as he has a tendency to just tear them to shreds.
Please help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, well, I did a Bing search, and got this: 2,460,000,000 Results I searched for "automatic cat toys for indoor cats." There is a plethora of them out there. Batteries not included, most of them, but LOTS of choices! This would give him moving parts, without you having to do the moving! Give them a look. It might be just what you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SSimone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL, well, I did a Bing search, and got this: 2,460,000,000 Results I searched for "automatic cat toys for indoor cats." There is a plethora of them out there. Batteries not included, most of them, but LOTS of choices! This would give him moving parts, without you having to do the moving! Give them a look. It might be just what you need.
I have tried several automatic toys and none of them keep his attention for longer than 2 minutes, if at all. Seeing as they come with a hefty price tag of $30-$50 per toy, I am a bit hesitant now to try any more of these toys...

SSimone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could get a cheap rc car and the a toy to the back of it. That way you can sit down while you entertain your cat. It'll probably entertain you as well!
I like the out-of-the-box thinking. Unfortunately, this still falls under the category of me entertaining the cat, even if I'm sitting on the couch while doing so. My goal is to be able to focus on something else (work, study, a book, movie...) other than the cat every once in a while.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My high energy cat loves to play by himself when there's a "hidden" aspect to his toys and games. Anything where he can hide a toy and jump around as if it were a surprise attack. And he LOVES tissue paper and will play with anything if it's covered in tissue paper. He will also play with tissue paper by itself!

Here are a few of our cats' favorites:

This tunnel from Target has been a huge hit with our cats and also every foster cat we've ever had! I even splurged for a sturdier one made with real wood and carpet but everyone still prefers this cheap one from Target.
Cat Wave Scratcher - Boots & Barkley™

Our cats love this Dezi & Roo tunnel, I think because it's a little larger than the other crinkle tunnels you find everywhere. It's pretty sturdy for being made out of paper, ours have each lasted at least 2 years.
Dezi & Roo Hide and Sneak paper tunnel

They also love these pop up cubes.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHUXS3O/?tag=thecatsite

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? If he’s under two, then he will likely calm down as he gets older. If he is a young cat, is there any chance you could get another cat as a playmate for him?

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like the out-of-the-box thinking. Unfortunately, this still falls under the category of me entertaining the cat, even if I'm sitting on the couch while doing so. My goal is to be able to focus on something else (work, study, a book, movie...) other than the cat every once in a while.
I have the exact same problem, also single cat household.
He only ever wants to play with me and needs me to be involved in the play otherwise he just gets bored. Tried auto toys buthe isn't interested. I'm hoping he'll calm down as he gets older as he's very young only 6 months and a bit still.

SSimone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is your cat? If he’s under two, then he will likely calm down as he gets older. If he is a young cat, is there any chance you could get another cat as a playmate for him?
He is almost 4. So, he's young, but not a kitten anymore...
The thought of a second cat as playmate has crossed my mind, but I'm hesitant for several reasons. Our apartment is not very big and I don't have space for two litter boxes, and his foster mom said she thinks he'll do better as an only cat, as he seemed intimidated by other cats. and then there's also the financial aspect of adding a second cat.