Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes. Ughhhhhhhh, it is so sad.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. How long has he been off now? Yes, right everything down to see if there is something.

Awwwwwwwwwwww. I am not sure that is he dog's fault. I think it is probably the human's fault. I always take care when people would come to the house. My dogs are more guard dogs. :( Ughhhhhhhh, it is so sad. :(

Yes and yes. Interesting you think you can handle an adult. I hope she does as well!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Yep :( Well, we have a lot of prey all year. But I have been trying to transition them for 3 years I think now. :(

Howso dense? Yes. I can totally understand. Do you think he is just overprotective of you? But I totally understand. He needs to understand when to be and when not to be. :/

Interesting he loves other dogs. It makes sense when he doesn't know them to be cautious. He made have had an incident in his past. :/

GREAT!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is. But what are we to do? Our trainer doesn't actually work at the shelter. She comes twice a week to work with volunteers and adopters. She can give us ideas of what to do, but we don't have time to do much. We either need someone to do this stuff every day and help these dogs or we need to stop bringing these dogs in just so they can sit there and break down.

A week or so, I think. The vet said to try twice a day on the Claritin. He said dogs don't handle antihistamines like people do, so they need larger doses.

I don't think so. He wasn't this nervous when he was here before, but he was still a somewhat anxious dog and he is a rottie mix. Rotties can have a protective streak. People give their dogs too much freedom without structure, if you ask me. People coming in can be very exciting/confusing/threatening and entrances can be tight areas with not much room. I'm cautious with Osiris even though he's really just a scaredy cat.

I've handled two eight-week old puppies at one time. I know an adult will come with its own challenges, but I can't see one being more time consuming than two young puppies. And I'm handling two adults with their own issues now.

Having prey all year probably isn't helpful. Cats are stubborn animals for sure.

He can be a little slow figuring things out sometimes. Or does weird things like turning around and whacking his face into a wall. Or sticking his nose in the way while you're shutting a door and keeping it there as you close the door on his nose. Pfft. Definitely not protective. He's a coward, truthfully. He hid behind me when there was a large ball left at the park once. Hid behind me at the vet's yesterday too. He's just a big baby. He did pretty good at the vet, though, and didn't freak on the cat he saw there.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. :( It is a story that is too common. Too much to do and not enough resources. :(

:/ I hope it works. Is he better?

:( Yes, they can. I agree, I am in that category at times. :( Yes, I agree. Are you really cautious with Osiris? With other people or even with yourself?

Yes, true.

Yes. :( Well, creatures of habit. The instincts are strong. :/

Ahhhhhh, yes. It is kinda cute? I am surprised he is not protective but maybe because he hasn't had to be? I suspect he is a lot smarter than you may realize. Awwwwwwwww, he liked the cat. Not surprising since he loves yours. He seems to love other anmals.

I love him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is. And I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. Surrender and return rates have gone up and adoption rates have gone down, not just for us but for all rescues.

Yes! Much better. Haven't seen hardly any itching lately.

Well, we don't have company over much, so it took a long time to get a good understand of how Osiris would react. And he's a GSD mix, so we didn't know what GSD traits he would have. Even among the breed, some are more likely to bite than others. Plus, he's very reactive and barky. Even without actually biting, he can be very intimidating and, yes, he's given me a scare a couple of times. I'm less cautious now because he's never tried to do anything, but I still don't want him scaring people unnecessarily and I don't want him in a situation where he feels like he needs to do something.

Indeed. Cats are stubborn animals. I can't even get mine to stay off the counters after 11 years.

He's entertaining at least. In the way a lot though. You can walk directly into him move he'll bother moving. He's not protective because he's just not a protective dog. He expects me to protect him. Which is fine. I didn't get him to protect me. Most dogs aren't protective. Most of their aggressive reactions are self-perseveration which, in many cases, is all we need. And I don't think so. Lol. He's not stupid by any means. But not the smartest. He just doesn't make connections very quickly. Like, if someone shut the door on your foot then you'd probably learn to be careful around doors. It might take a couple of times, but you'd learn. Not him. Couldn't even tell you how many times I've shut the door on his nose and he'll still do it. He does not like animals he does not know. Loves them once he gets to know them, but before that he's very reactive. And he's been very reactive to cats. This was the first time he didn't flip out when seeing a cat at the vet. So it was a very proud moment.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Another negative from Covid. :(

GREAT!!!! You must be on to something then!! Fingers crossed.

Yes, very true. BUT if you both are in a situation you don't want to be in you want him to be protective. I think he is really smart, I think he knows. But I agree, there is a line. I think if he doesn't know it now he will.

Hahahahaha, yep!!!!

Interesting. Maybe he isn't protective because he hasn't needed to be? Hahahaha, do you think he is just very trusting? Awwwwwww, but the reactivity with cats is to play, right? Awwwww, he is such a good boy!!!

I just wonder if he is a lot smarter than you realize. I have seen dogs like that.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for no replies. I've been working extra days at work and trying really hard to work on Osiris's reactivity because there's an event I want to take him to this Sunday.

Everything is going alright. Osiris gets a little itchy sometimes. It seems like usually when he's about due for his next dose of allergy meds, but definitely better than he was.

I honestly doubt he'd do anything, but I'd rather not find out. Lol. I mean, really, if someone isn't put off by his barking and growling to begin with, then they're probably ready to take the dog out of the picture completely. That's a situation I'd rather just not be in at all.

Speaking of stubborn cats, I think Frost is getting meaner. He's even yelling at Ash now. He just yells at everyone all the time. But I took them all to the vet to get vaccinated and he was totally chill about the whole thing. Just hung out, wandered around, took the attention, tolerated being held... Everyone there loves him. I don't think they believe me when I talk about how mean he is.

There have been plenty of times where he thought there was a threat even if it wasn't actually a threat. He's just not protective. He wants to be protected. He's just a big baby. Which is fine. He's very fear reactive. He's afraid of anyone he doesn't know, human, cat, or dog. He's not aggressive, just loud. We went to PetSmart today and he did really well. Some minor reactions, but nothing major. I want to take him to an event this Sunday where you get to try different sports with your dogs. I'm hesitant because it's a long drive for it to not work out, but it would be a great opportunity.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ok. I knew you are very busy.

Oh wow, how did the event go?

I am so glad he is better. Yeah, the meds probably wear off.

EXACTLY!!! Yes, true. :(

OH my!!!! That is interesting. Sometimes when they are in a different place with different people the do behave. Might be the change in weather?

Awwwwwww. But sometimes smart dogs just know when something really is a threat (and luckily you haven't faced one yet). I just wonder....................... Wow, the PetSmart trip sounds great.

I am interested t see if you went to the event and how it went.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a lot. We can't keep people at work. We hired someone and she left in, I think, a week. People take vacations and it means everyone has to pick up a day.

The event was really cool! You paid to get tickets that you could use to participate in various sports. Not anything competitive, but more for inexperienced people who want to try their dog in sports. Part of the money they got went to an animal shelter. Osiris did way better than I could have ever imagined. Not perfect but considering there have been times I've almost given up and decided he just won't be able to go anywhere, he did pretty dang good. He was even able to focus on the events he did which was an added surprise. I wasn't sure he'd be able to focus at all. We only did three events out of seven, but that was because he just doesn't have much stamina and it was a bit warm for him, plus he ended up throwing up while we were there.

Unfortunately, we are going through another bad phase of him vomiting. We're running out of ideas to try. The vet has mentioned doing an endoscope, but that's expensive and may tell us nothing. We're going to alter his feeding schedule. If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of is the Royal Canin food, but none of that is grain free and I'm not buying a giant bag if he's not going to be able to eat it. Which means I'll have to buy a different food with grains to test him out.

He's been getting progressively worse over the last few years. I don't know what to do about him. Meds? But for what? It's not anxiety. I have no reason to believe it's pain either. He just needs a happy pill apparently. I don't like doing things that alter their personalities (plus I'm paying for enough meds as it is), but I hate that he's tormenting the other animals. Sometimes I think he'd be better off as an only pet. Or if we could set him up in his own room away from the others. But then sometimes he's fine and lying next to Osiris...

I don't really see how a dog could be afraid of something and yet not see it as a threat. Isn't that why you're usually afraid of something? Because you think it may be dangerous in some way? I just don't think he's protective. He's a big baby. Kind of a cowardly dog, to be honest. I love him, but I wouldn't put my life in his paws.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, I never saw this until now. I was wondering about how busy you are.

:( Ughhhhhh, that is not good

WOW!!! THAT is AMAZING!!! He did GREAT!!! Awwwww, poor guy, do you think it was the heat and/or the excitement why he threw up? Sounds like a really cool event!!!

:( OH no. Poor guy. Ughhhhhhhhhhh. When the vet is stumped that is not good. Poor Osiris.

:( OH no. I m with you on meds. Has he gotten better? Any idea why he is so grumpy?

Yes. It does not make sense. I agree. I still wonder if he is protective but just hasn't had to show it (thankfully). Well, they can be big babies and still be protective. I have gad many like that. Hmmmmmmmmm, I wish I met him. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's alright. I have been pretty busy anyway. Last week was my final week of the term and I had a big project. Plus, we had a foster pup. The shelter brought in two four-month-old pups without having fosters for them. I ended up taking one. They were shepherd mixes, so my weakness of course. She was a pretty good pup. Just got adopted on Saturday. Went to someone who fosters pups for us and has three dogs, one who is a foster fail from us.

It's been absolutely ridiculous at work. I think the manager just cares less and less because she's stepping down from the job anyway. She just doesn't care about anything anymore. And the fact that we had two 4-month-old pups in the shelter is part of it. We were told we were getting a few 7-ish-month-olds. We had one 7-month-old, a 6-month-old, and two 4-month-olds. I only realized it when one last a tooth while playing with another pup. Four months is too young to be in the shelter. Barely old enough to have all their vaccines.

He did do really well at the event. I'm sad we probably won't ever get to do that event again. Not sure if they even plan on doing it again. We also took him to a Halloween parade run by the rescue we adopted him from. He did well there too. Wore a shark costume my mom bought. Met an absolutely beautiful, solid black, purebred GSD pup while there too. Not sure why he threw up. He does seem to do that when I take him to new places when it's warm and give him treats. He doesn't do it at the local park no matter how hot it is or how much I feed him though, so I don't know if new places just add a bit of stress that triggers it or what.

It's been tough. He's not vomiting too much right now, but we've had some bad times. Him and the foster pup took turns throwing up for a few days, but then they were both fine. He has an infection in the webbing between a few of his toes right now. We think it was caused by an allergy flare up and then he was licking at it and got it infected. So now we have to use a spray on it three times a day which he isn't happy about.

No. I don't think he's going to suddenly get better after steadily getting worse over a few years. I'm trying to increase enrichment for them and give them more to do.

I don't expect him to be and, quite frankly, am not sure I'd want him to be protective or inclined to bite. Insecure dogs who lack confidence typically aren't the dogs you want to be willing to bite. He's a good dog, but he's an easy-going, more laidback dog with some insecurities. I think it says something that he trusts me enough to rely on me to protect him and, really, that's what you need from a fear-reactive dog. If they can trust you to protect them, then there's less need for them to do it themselves and do it in inappropriate ways. There are still times where I might be willing to send him to you. Lol.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Thanks for understanding. WOW!!! You ARE busy!!! Shep mixes, MY FAVE!!! :) Do you have pics?

:( That is not good. :( How long until the new person is in charge?

That is great!!! Good job Osiris!!! Why do you think they wont do it again? Wow!! He is doing really well (socially). Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it is stress? GS dogs do have sensitive stomachs. :( WOW! Black GS.......................... DO you have a pic?

:( Poor guy. Odd that the pup threw up as well. :/

That is about all you can do. :/

Yeah, it is conflicting. But GSs are SO SMART. They kinda know when and where it needs to be done. But I hear you. Agreed on insecure dogs and protective dogs. Is Osiris really a little insecure? Yeah, I guess I agree. But GSs and mixes are really smart. They seem to know from my experience. Awwwwwwwwwww. ;) I know you are joking (kinda ;). I so wish I could get another dog. Osiris is special.

Wow, you have been really busy. I am sure the you did well in class!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a problem. Things happen. I will post pictures of the pup. We had her for just over a week and she was adopted.

Things are hectic at work right now, of course. We both took off this week to have a break. The manager started this past Monday. When I get back, we'll be down two more staff members. We did hire one new one though.

We took Osiris to a dog park the other day which had some agility equipment. He did surprisingly well on it, especially since most of it was meant for smaller dogs. We had a tiny scuffle with a corgi who wanted the food in my pockets. He got a bit snippy with Osiris, but Osiris didn't react and I stopped it. No issues afterwards. There was also a very vocal husky who liked to talk while playing and then there was lab who mostly wanted to sniff until we were leaving and then he was really pushy.

Well, I don't know if they will. It was done by an animal shelter to fundraise, so I guess it probably depends on how successful it was. But even if they do, we'll probably be gone by then. So, unless we want to travel for it, we likely aren't going to get to go again. I don't know what his issue is though. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the pup at the parade.

It was very weird. Fortunately, no more of that, but we have had issues with what we suspect was an allergy flare up on his foot. He licked it and caused an infection. We used a spray to clear up the infection, but he was still licking at it, so we've started him on a short trial of Prednisone. He seems to be doing better. We've also started Stella on Trazodone for her anxiety. It seems to be helping though not a lot. She's still anxious and jumpy, but not as extreme and she seems to relax quicker.

But not every GSD is the same and he's not even pure GSD. Dogs used for protection or bite work are bred, raised, and trained for it. It's not always about intelligence. For a dog to truly protect, they have to have aggression, but that's not a trait you want in most pet dogs. And an insecure dog with aggression is definitely not a dog you want as a pet dog. Or for anything, really. And yes, he's definitely insecure. That's why he's so reactive. He's a good dog. Just lacks motivation and confidence.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! GORGEOUS!!!!! I LOVE her!!!!!

Thank you. And I can see why she was adopted right away.

Good you had some time off. WOW!!! More shortage. :( At least the manager started now. I hope the person is good.

WOW!!! He did really well it sounds. "Only" scuffle is pretty good imo. I am amazed he didn't react to the snippiness. GOOD BOY!!! You must have been proud. A lot could have gone wrong.

:( Too bad :(

:/ At least both are better. Dogs like Stella tend to be like that but good she is responding. Let's hope they continue to improve.

True. I didn't realize they were bred as well. Interesting, I didn't realize they had to have aggression too. Agreed and agreed. Interesting, he doesn't sound insecure to me but of course I don't get to interact with him. :( He does seem like a good dog (or great). Yes, I can see the lack of motivation in him. Confidence I still don't read but again I am not interacting. I would love a dog like him. :/

Mine are good too just sometimes a bit too much.............................. They can be a bit naughty. :/ My fault though for being too lenient. :( They are very good though. I LOVE them!!!! :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My opossum now comes around 9-10am as well. Never saw a opossum at that time wanting to eat. :) A true character. :)