Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. Fingers crossed.

:( They will do that. Yes, the muzzle. I don't like them but might be a good idea to see if eating something is causing it. Yeah, they do say that stuff. I am not sure any chemical is "ok" or "safe". :/ Good Stella doesn't have issues. Great he is fine today. Well, that is common. At least no diarrhea, no throwing up!!!! He may just have a really sensitive stomach. :/

Hope so. Oh my, well, I guess it depends on the 9yr old. Hopefully all goes well. And they put in the effort. He is a great dog.

Yes and yes. :/ Try to think if there is anything common among the times he goes through this.

Yes, agreed!! :( Well, I knew I had to do something. I just didn't know if I could move fast enough. It is emotionally draining. :( I knew he was special and should have taken him in safely. I am sick about it.

Interesting. I guess it is good? Wish they could have it all in one though. :/

Please do. So far so good. Let's hope he is over whatever got him out of sorts.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'd gotten so much better about eating cat poop. I don't know how he sneaks the rabbit poop. There's nothing inherently wrong with muzzles, but they do have a bad reputation. They can be very important in keeping everyone (including the dog wearing it) safe. Osiris has taught me a lot about the uses of a muzzle. I agree on chemicals. I don't think they're ever truly 'safe', but then Stella has been going to the same park for years and has eaten her fair share of grass so I guess if it was that dangerous then she'd have had problems from it a while ago. Osiris did start to throw up today, but then never seemed to get anything up. I don't know what to think of him, I swear.

Stella says she was younger than that when we brought 5-month-old Osiris home and she still didn't appreciate it. Lol. I have nothing against them wanting a companion for their lab, but they could have gotten an adult dog that still had the energy to play but would also be less obnoxious. I would never get my senior dog a puppy. If I want a puppy, then sure. But strictly as the other dog's playmate? No. I do hope it works, but am not sure I believe they truly did it for their other dog's sake.

I have tried, but it's not easy to come up with anything. Even when he does eat something and then throw it up, it's so delayed that it can be hard to know the actual cause. We're usually pretty cautious with introducing anything new to him to since he's so sensitive.

Well, sometimes we can't move fast enough. And it sucks. But all we can do is our best and know that at least we're trying which is more than what a lot of people can say. I know I still wonder what happened to the dog that seemed to always ben chained up outside next door to my grandma's house even in extreme heat. I just all of a sudden never saw him again. And now I'm worried about Old Tom because I really haven't seen any signs of him in a while and I'm just hoping it's because it's been so hot that they've all been hunkered down in the shade. But hopefully he'll turn up at some point.

It would be nice, but I guess that would be a little too much in one program. It can get a bit tricky finding tools in just one program as it is. And it is nice to choose if you want a simple/easy version or a more complex/in-depth version.

I definitely will.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is GREAT!!! A lot of dogs do not get out of that. :( I know, they are VERY GOOD at getting it. :( Or animals, etc. Agreed. Sometimes it is very important to have. Agreed on chemicals. :( Yes, they are all around and most animals handle it. I am glad Stella is. Arghhhhhhhhhh. :/ Poor guy. Anything you can think of as a reason?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Agreed. :/

Yes. :/ It is so hard............................. Some dogs just have sensitive stomachs etc. :/

Yes. It really does. I fell for him right away. :( Agreed. Yes, on situations like that is is harder. But I know what you mean. Poor Old Tom. :/ Hopefully he is ok. Life is very hard as a feral. :(

Ohhhhhhh. That makes sense. I guess it is that way for a reason then. To find things that work for people with different needs.

Thanks!!! I feel like I know Osiris and Stella and the cats. We get attached......................................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of it is just preventing the habit. He's still pretty closely supervised in the house, so he doesn't get the opportunity to get in the litter boxes here. At part, if I caught him, he'd go on leash and be on the leash for the rest of the trip. Then he'd be back on the long line with a muzzle for a while, then just the muzzle. But rabbit poo is harder apparently. Indeed. I wish we didn't use chemicals so much, but I think most of us have adapted. I don't know what's up with him. I can't figure anything out. He's thrown up a couple of times in the last few days while I was at work. Sometimes he throws food up. Sometimes he throws up just a bit of fluid.

I'm sure you did. Sounds like he was a good cat and probably a bit easier to get to know since he was friendly pretty early on. But maybe he's okay. Maybe he just got lost and now his owners have found him again. Or someone else took him in. I know, I feel for Old Tom and all the others, but they have it pretty good in comparison to a lot of other ferals. They're well fed, have a fenced in yard to be safe in, and have at least some sheltered areas. I know they have access to the people's enclosed porch on the back of their house. I do hope Old Tom is okay. Or, if he is gone, that he went peacefully, curled up in the sun.

Yeah, there are people who only use Photoshop. You would have to pay for more stuff that you don't need if Photoshop and Lightroom were joined together instead of just being able to get one.

Well, you pretty much do. I do talk about them a lot. Lol.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Yep. That is a good plan. It really is more difficult to prevent. :/ Me too, I do not like chemicals. :( Some are necessary but................. :/ Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I know, it is so hard to figure out. Any changes recently at all?

:( Well, hopefully. But I suspect not. He is intact and he did seem a bit feral but did warm up with food. It is just very hard. Yes, being a feral is really tough. But they do have it much better than most. I guess no matter how long or short their life is if we can make it better for them then we have done some good. There is a lot of sadness in that world. One could go mad thinking about it. All we can do is our best.

Interesting. Yes, that makes sense. Can you get a student discount?

It is easy to get attached. I love animals. So really easy for me....................... Much easier to get attached knowing they are in a great home as well!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught the Covid!!! :bawling: And I went so long! I have been restricted to my room. These poor animals though. Osiris, Stella, and Ember have all pretty much stayed in my room with me (all five are in here right now). Well, they leave sometimes, but spend most of their time here. You can tell Osiris is bored. And he keeps taking my spot in the bed. :ohwell:

It's certainly not the most fun thing to have to deal with. No, I've never understood the obsession with spraying for weeds and whatnot anyway. We never have and we've had the prettiest purple flowers in our yard this year. I don't understand why some flowers a pretty and some are 'weeds'. No, no changes as far as I'm aware and there usually aren't when he does this.

Well, you can always hope for the best. Sometimes that's better that thinking about the worst. He's a cat, so he's pretty resilient. It is a tough life, but then they don't know anything else. It must seem pretty good to them to have a secure source of food, shelter, and someone who cares about them. It can be depressing to think about, but you just have to remember that you're doing all you can for these cats. And you have made a difference.

If I were getting a photography degree, yes, but I'm not so no. It's only $10 a month, so not too bad anyway.

That it is. Well, I try! They might all get Covid from me now.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( OH NO!!! Arghhhhhhhh. Yes, PLEASE do not give it to your mom. People say everyone will get it at some point. :( Dr. Fauci got it as well. Are you boosted? Did you get the Paxlovid? Of course there are side effects and other things from that as well. But your doctor should advise.

How are you feeling? I hope ok, mild symptoms at worst.

:( The animals.

Yes. No, I never understood all that either. Weeds are nature while chemicals aren't. :( I totally agree with you. Oooooooooo, purple flowers. WONDERFUL!!!! :) I know. I agree, I do not understand. Ughhhhhh, no changes. Doesn't make it easy then. :/

Yes. And agreed. Yes, agreed. It is very depressing, difficult, etc. Heartbreaking. :( All we can do is our best. I hope I made the lives a bit better.

True. Oh, that is not too bad. But it is easy to have it all add up as well. :/

:/ Well, I am a little worried (I'll be honest). I just hope you are doing as well as can be. I worry about your mom as well. You try and succeed!!! :( I hope they don't.

Ughhhhhhhh, GET WELL SOON!!! This horrible virus!!! It is so contagious. :( I didn't check the site yesterday as I was so busy and just exhausted. PLEASE let me know you are doing ok. All my best wishes for you and your mom. I wish I could do more. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think that's up to her at this point. She likes to come into my room with no mask on. So far, she's fine. She thought she was starting to get symptoms and took a test, but it came up negative. I didn't get boosted. My mom did. I did a virtual appointment with the doctor to talk about meds, but of course, I was seeming to better just in time for my appointment and we opted not to do meds especially since those pills are still in a trial phase. No point in taking a risk when you're already getting better. Of course, I went downhill again, but do seem to be getting better. I did get cough meds though. The cough has only been mild, but has been painful because I have such a sore throat. That's the worst symptom I have and nothing seems to stop it from hurting. Otherwise, I've had a fever, lost my voice completely for a little while, have been congested, on and off headaches, and just very tired. I've been laying in bed watching movies with the dogs and Ember. I am okay though.

Indeed. I love the purple flowers. I try to avoid mowing over them when I can. Lol. They're so pretty. I think I actually posted the pictures of Stella laying in them? Can't remember for sure though.

It is very difficult. But you do so much just by putting yourself in the position to be hurt by such things. How many others would just ignore them? That's not something you should ever feel bad for though I know it's hard. You have most definitely improved their lives.

No, not too bad. I did put off getting it because I didn't want to spend the extra money on it (I'm cheap).

Well, don't worry too much about me. I'll be alright. My mom will be too. She has all the vaccines and the booster, so while she is at a slightly elevated risk, she should be okay. She isn't extremely high risk. And somehow, miraculously hasn't gotten it yet. Animals seem okay too!

Thank you. That's alright, do what you have to do. All is okay over here.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. :/ I wish she would be careful. :/ I am SO GLAD she is fine so far!!! And she is boosted. Yes, no pill is perfect and I think it has to be taken early to have an impact. The doctor would know. Yes, I guess it does come and go for people. I am glad to hear you are doing better again. :/ Well, it could be worse. I hope you get well soon. Just keep following the doctor's orders. I wish I had good advice. :/ Please keep me up on how you are feeling.

Awwwwwwwww. I'll have to look for that picture. They sound pretty.

:/ Yes. But it still is painful. :( Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, well, that isn't the worst thing. I am sure you glad you have it!! :)

Hahahaha, well, THAT is easier said than done. You know I think you are very special!! The good news is you both are young. And that helps. And the vaccine. But you know how it is, we have that instinct in us to worry about people we like. Good for your mom. Usually it is people with 2 or more "issues" that are at high risk. And age matters as well. Great the animals are good so far.

Hang in there are get well soon. Get your rest, etc, follow doctor's orders and get well. I can't wait to hear you are all well!!!! :) Gotta go at the pace of the virus though. Please let me know when you can. Better times ahead.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting better. Still very tired at times and my throat bothers me a little, but not nearly as badly as it was. Mom still seems fine. You have to take the pill within five days of symptoms. I would've started it on my fourth if I had taken them. But I don't think they were necessary. Right now I'm mostly just tired. I feel bad for the dogs because I know they're bored. I would take them for a walk down the road when I feel decent enough to, but there's just too many loose dogs to worry about in this town. Plus it's hot.

The pictures are on page 116, post #2,317.

I know. I don't think anything could make it not hurt. That's just how it is when you're working with those who are less fortunate.

Me too.

I know. But there's no reason to worry, really. We're all fine. My mom is just below the age limit that's considered high risk, so not quite in there. I've still been mostly staying in my room and keeping my distance.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT!!! Well, tired is understandable but at least you are getting better. Just try to be careful and keep getting better. Whew, I am SO HAPPY to hear your mom is fine so far. Ahhhhhhhhh, yes, that makes sense. Yes, your body is fighting the infection, therefore fatigue. :/ Yes, BUT you need to get healthy. They will get over the boredom and as you get well sooner they will not be bored anbymore whereas a relapse only sets everyone back. :/

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

:( Agreed. :(

:)

I know but you know how it is. :/ We worry. I am so happy to hear everyone is ok. Yes, her being young is very helpful!!! Yes, you are doing the right thing as well. Hopefully you are past the point of infectiousness so the risk is lower further.

Fingers crossed and I PROMISE I will worry less!!!! ;) But I will say I do feel much better. Just keep listening to your doctor, getting well and all will be back to normal soon!!! :)

THANKS for the update!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for not responding. Just lazy and unmotivated, I guess. I'd say I'm mostly over the tiredness caused by Covid, but haven't been sleeping great the last few nights, so I'm tired anyway. Plus getting up early to take the dogs to the park before it gets hot. We're all okay though. Well, mostly.

Osiris has had another bout of illness. Started with diarrhea, we said maybe I introduced their dehydrated food that I put in their Kongs a bit too quickly, but the diarrhea didn't go away. Then he threw up after a couple of nights. There was something in it, but I'm still not sure what. So then we blamed that, but the next night he threw up again with nothing in it. The vet prescribed him a probiotic, so we're going to try that for a while and see if it helps. If not, I have been told by someone who had a GSD with GI problems that their dog did well on Royal Canin's GSD food. It's expensive and I'd much rather not have the two dogs on different foods, but I'll try it if there's a chance that it'll help. Osiris is doing better at the moment. He still had diarrhea, but not quite as bad and isn't going so often. No more vomiting.

I do have a bit of an issue with Ash. He is not letting us groom him very well, but his coat is getting more and more difficult to keep up with. He tries biting and scratching whenever we try to get to the underneath around his back legs. The Gabapentin does not seem to be helping much. The vet said we can double his dose on days we need to groom, but if I'm being honest, that's pretty much every day. But he can't live on that high of a dose of Gabapentin. I might be able to get away with doing light grooming most days and then one more thorough session once a week where we double the dose for now, but I'm afraid we'll get to the point that that isn't enough. We're considering maybe he'll need to be sedated and shaved every so often, but it's not something I really want to do.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ok, I understand. I am so glad you are all doing well.

:( Poor guy. :( Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I feel so badly for him and of course you as it is so difficult for the parent. :( Pure breds............................. :/ I hope it works. It most be some ingredient in the food he has. :/

Oh my. Mine are acting strange just recently with their nail clippings. :/ Does he seem to walk differently? Etc? I wonder if it is discomfort or just old age? Yeah, that would be a last resort type thing. But matting etc is not good either.

Ughhhhhhhh. Yeah, I can understand where you are at. Really draining issues like that.

At least you are feeling better. I am so glad to hear. Let's hope Osiris finds the solution and Ash is a good boy and gets groomed. Mine are being bad as well so I can really sympathize right now. :/

Let me know how they are doing. Good luck!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Osiris threw up again twice yesterday. Didn't eat all morning today, but seems to be getting better now. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. I think there's just something wrong with his digestive system and it's a matter of figuring out what works with his specific GIT, whether that's probiotics or a specific diet or whatever else. Maybe he can't handle a certain about of protein or fat or whatever else. He isn't a pure bred, just badly bred. I probably would've spent less money if I had gone the breeder route.

No, he seems fine outside of grooming, but that's how it's always been with him. I don't even know anymore. He's just getting difficult to manage. He's typically good about not actually causing damage, but I feel like he's not been as good about that with the grooming. I usually get out of his way quick enough, but ultimately, we end up needing both of us: one to hold him and one to groom. But that's stressful on him. I'd at least feel a little less bad if I knew it wasn't pain and was just him being a grump, but I can't rule pain out.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. At least he is getting better. Does it happen more when it is hot and humid?

Yes, there is something. I know it can be an ingredient, even a protein. Something in the environment, water. So many things. Some tests can pick up and some they can't. Poor guy.

Isn't he like 97% GS? What is considered "pure"? I am really ignorant on that stuff. :/

I had a golden that was given. She was "pure" from a reputable breeder according to the previous owner. She had everything wrong. :(

That is good I guess. Yes, they get older and often get more difficult. :( Yes, it is stressful fr them. Agreed. Nice if it would not be pain but tough to rule out. The gaba should help though?

Oh my. I know how challenging it is. I am in one of those times and at my bursting point, I can sympathize. :/

Hang in there and just do your best. It is so frustrating since we want them to have great lives always.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know. We've had him for less than two years, so not much time to see if there's a yearly change. I'd have to look at his records to remember what happened when. I want to say the time that led to him going to the emergency clinic was towards the beginning of the year? Or perhaps that was his other trip to the emergency room.... We aren't out when the weather is too bad though.

I don't know what it is with him. If it were a specific ingredient, then he should have been fine on the special diet. But maybe the amount of something? Like if his body can't handle a certain amount of protein (or fat or whatever else) overall? I don't know.

He's 84%, if I remember correctly. Pure would be 100%, at least for an established breed like the GSD. To become a breed, they have to 'breed true' which takes several generations and have at least 3 generations of dogs who have bred true. So his breeder might be on the way to having a new breed. But the GSD is well past that point, so a purebred GSD would simply be 100% GSD.

Probably not from a reputable breeder then. I believe goldens are a typically healthy breed. Most reputable breeders have some sort of guarantee if a dog gets certain issues within a period of time, they'll refund or replace the dog. All reputable breeders have it in their contract that the dog should be returned to them if the owner cannot keep the dog and they typically offer advice/support for the dog's life. A lot of people think they're going to good breeders. Most aren't.

Frost is getting matted a lot too. He doesn't usually matt like this. He's less violent than Ash, but still very angry about it. I thought the Gabapentin was helping at least a little, but getting it daily means he gets a smaller dose than when he was just getting it for grooming. And he did seem to be getting used to the higher dose when we were doing that, so I wonder if his body is just too used to it.

These animals are exhausted. Stella has been very, very anxious. Just constantly on edge. She gets panicked, panting and whale eyes and pacing around. We're trying our second anxiety med, but it's not helping yet and the vet is making us wait a month before increasing the dose. I think we still have over a week left. I don't know what to do for her though. It's not helping and I don't see that changing over the next week.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is always the issue. Well, he has shown issues in the heat I remember. That is why I wonder. I have seen dogs react like that.

I know. It is so frustrating. Agree on a special diet hopefully helping. They usually do. :/ Then it becomes a process of elimination.

Ahhhh, I knew you would know exactly. Very interesting.

That is what I thought but supposedly it was a reputable breeder (why would they lie to me?). I know nothing about that world. Interesting. I actually thought they have issues as a breed and that is why they did the whole Goldendoodle thing. I thought goldens were overbred? Ahhhhhh, yes, that is interesting. Sounds like that is true.

:/ Yes. The heat can do a lot of things with regard to matting etc. :( Ahhhhhhh, yes, I think they can get a tolerance. Ughhhhhhhhhhh

:( Any idea why she is more anxious? Your illness? Weather can do a lot as well.

Hang in there.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's never done well with the heat, but I don't think it could be that exclusively. I'm trying to figure out what to do. A lot of people seem to recommend Royal Canin for dogs with issues, but it's not grain free and Osiris did have a test that said he had a grain sensitivity. It was a new test and may not be accurate, but it still worries me.

I'm no expert in regards of purebreds, but really for any well-established breed with a large gene pool, you wouldn't expect anything less than 100%.

They might not have lied to you. They just didn't know. Bad breeders tend to be good liars and, unfortunately, a lot of people just don't do the right research. We had no reason to think Ash and Frost's breeder was anything less than good but didn't know how to do the proper research. I've found the breeder's site and noticed that she's been introduced a lot of other mutations not found in their breed (e.g. folded ears). That is not something a proper breeder would do unless attempting to create a new breed, but you can't call them purebreds in that case and she's done this with a few mutations. I really am not super knowledgeable when it comes to goldens. I don't know of any issues they'd be prone to other than the ones all large breeds are prone to. I think the goldendoodle thing was to make a hypoallergenic dog more than anything though there is also the belief that a mix breed is automatically healthier than a purebred. I don't really know if they're overbred. I don't see them nearly as much as labs or GSDs. In fact, I very rarely see them! If they are, then they'd be overbred by bad breeders and bad breeders don't breed for health.

It is getting very bad with the matting. Frost doesn't typically matt much. His fur is very silky. Yeah, Ash definitely seemed to get more tolerant of the Gabapentin.

Nope. She's been slowly adding to her fears over the last couple of years. Decided she was scared of fireworks. Never had an issue with them before. I've had her in our front yard playing fetch while the people across the street shot them off. Now? Full-blown panic attack. She's scared of the noise plastic water bottles make. Fortunately, that's not difficult for us to avoid since we don't have them around often anyway. She is terrified of my mom's cane for no apparent reason. I think a lot of her fear lately is because we had the cane sitting against my mom's desk. Unfortunately, one day it fell over and Stella, of course, freaked out. We've since put the cane up, but she still hasn't gotten over it. If my mom is anywhere near her desk, Stella is stressed and she jumps every time my mom moves. She's worse when I'm not here or if I sit at the dining room table which is across from my mom's desk. Today marks one month from starting her meds, so tomorrow I'm calling the vet to ask about increasing her dose.

These animals, I swear. And Ember keeps eating fur! I think she's getting worse! Picks it up off the floor or, if there isn't any readily available, just rips it right off the boys! :doh:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO :/ He has a tough time with heat. Yes, not exclusively, agree. Yes, it is so hard to know what to do. :/ Not grain free. Sighhhhhhhh. Maybe the test is wrong but maybe it isn't. SO challenging.

Well, you are close. Yes, that makes sense.

That makes sense. Even if a person does research I am sure it is not 100%. Ahhhhh, yes, allergies. Agree, they were really popular but now rarely seen them. I think it is because they were overbred but not sure and were having issues. Yes, a lot of bad breeders out there. :( I am a mutt person. :/.

:(

That is understandable about the fireworks. That all makes sense and is very common. Everything you mention makes total sense.

I know. Interesting, my youngest loves fur as well. :/ No idea why. Yep, animals. A lot of good things but then we get these moments......................But we get through them also and a lot of good comes around again.

My white squirrel and my Billy no longer are seen. :( I am heartbroken.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been ridiculous. I'm going to try him on The Honest Kitchen grain-free food. If that doesn't work then I might try their food with grains just as a test. If that doesn't work then I'll probably have to try Royal Canin. Royal Canin really has pretty crap ingredients though, so I don't want to put him on that. Plus him and Stella would have to be on two different foods. The Honest Kitchen is even more expensive, but at least it has good ingredients.

I'm sure there's a lot I don't know. Like I know they do cross breed in cases of breeds with small genes pools to help keep variety in their genes, but not sure what those dogs are labeled as or how it works.

No, it can be difficult to find a good breeder. You always want a breeder to let you see where the dogs are being raised and meet the mother, can show you their dogs' paper and health results, have some sort of health guarantee, offer lifetime support, and include in their contract that they'll take back their dogs at any time. Any dog that gets overbred is likely to have issues because most of those dogs are going to be from backyard breeders. Good breeders aren't going to breed their dogs more because there's a high demand. They breed dogs at least two years old and typically stop around five years or so, and they'll only breed a female maybe once a year. I love being able to rescue, but they can have as many issues as a purebred and are more likely to have behavioral issues that a well-bred dog. There's just nothing for you to check for or look for to see what issues they might have.

Common, maybe, but why now? What's different between all her previous years and now? I thought we'd made so much progress on her confidence and now you'd think she was abused. We increased her medication. No change yet. I need to do her nails too. I thought the meds might make her out of it at first and I'd be able to trim them, but nope.

It's weird. I'm surprised Ember doesn't have hairballs. She'll have one every now and then, but it's rare.

Oh, no. I'm so sorry. Well, I guess all we can do is hope that, by some miracle, they're okay.