Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's fine. Been a little busy anyway.

Haha. Well, I'm always thinking of the negative outcomes. I did want to talk to the lady, but at first when I saw them she was working with her dog. I don't like feeling like I'm interrupting people. Honestly, I have a hard time approaching people and talking to them at all. I hope going to dog shows and competitions I'll get more comfortable and talk more.

It is nice to have. Not always the most convenient thing as it can be a bit bulky to carry around, especially with a bigger lens, but there are certainly times that it's worth having.

No, she definitely did mean anything by it. I think just a bit excited. She's not even really easily overstimulated. You can pet her and, if she does get overstimulated, you can see it in her body language. He was a really good dog. I didn't even realize how good he was until that meet.

Well, I think it's okay to slowly build trust with an animal, but if it's a wild animal then that is something that needs to be remembered. Good that you're careful about not coming off as a threat. That's probably the most important thing. Haha. I met a duck that was like a very well-behaved dog too. A Muscovy duck. I was a bit intimidated by them before that, but I fell in love with them after meeting her. We'd go feed the ducks occasionally and she just stood right next me to waiting for her turn. Not at all like the geese that will steal the food from you or the ducks that quacked constantly. She just waited quietly and made panting noises and wagged her tail.

Things are changing very quickly anymore. I think younger people just grew up with all that change, so it's normal. They can adapt to it. But change is often scary.

I can't handle the heat. I always have to be really careful about drinking enough water and making sure I eat or else I may faint. I do get very cold when I'm not active or if I'm tired. I sleep under a comforter in the middle of summer. But I'll still take the cold. I'd rather be cold and stay cold than go back and forth! I really don't feel good in the heat either. It's humid here too which makes it extra bad.

Ah, yeah. That'll be difficult. If it's a desktop then it is complicated. Laptops are easier.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Well, still not good. And today it took my almost an hour to get on the site. :( Something is not right.

Oh my, let's work on that. :) Oh, well, if she was working with her dog I would have done the same thing. I agree, I don't like interrupting or "bothering" people but often we aren't and people like to talk about themselves and those they love or things they are interested in. And of course, the person can always say "I can't talk right now" etc. And if they are rude it is their issue not ours. It is so interesting, you seem so outgoing and open with me. If you can do it with me you can do it with anyone. :) Yes, I think you will. Having something in common and having knowledge about that interest brings people together. And in time, you will be able to interact regardless of interests. You are so intelligent and interesting and nice, so many people could benefit from getting to know you and your thoughts more.

Yes. Well, I doubt I will be going around much anymore. So it would be more around the house. And maybe I could find something more convenient. I would like to take pictures of the wildlife. I also need "idiot" proof stuff. :/ Things that are easier. :/

Awwwww, she sounds fine then. Well, you and I can see it in her body language, whether novices can........................... :/ Awwwwwwww. THAT is saying a lot about him. Wow!!!

Yes. :/ And maybe trust can't really be built. I do need to remember as if something bad happened it would be really risky for me. Awwwwwwwww, THAT is SO ADORABLE!!!! :) I would actually be afraid of ducks. :/

Yes. And at my point in life I can kinda just live in the old days. Hard to explain but a lot of stuff I didn't live with so something you never had you really don't miss. :/

Oh yes, staying hydrated is important. Oh you do too. I sleep with a comforter as well!! Interesting you still prefer the cold. Yes, back and forth is not good. :/ Oh my, humid. Yes, if a person does not like the heat it really makes it bad. If it is always humid then a body adjusts. I think too many places in America have such temperature ranges. There are very few "nice" places to live in my opinion in America. :/

Are laptop easier? My eyesight is not so good anymore can you get a bigger screen to be able to see? I should call the store and see. But someone still would need to make it connected to the internets and everything.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no. :( Yeah, sounds like there's definitely something wrong.

I know, but it's hard. And sometimes it isn't the worst trait. I'm always prepared for the worst. I know. Logically, I know it isn't really an issue. I can ask and they'll probably say yes. They may say no. Either way doesn't harm me. No one has any reason to be rude, so if they are then it's their problem. And I remind myself of that over and over again, but the anxiety still takes over. Oh, no. I am the opposite of outgoing. I am an anxiety-filled introvert. I have no friends. I have no social life. I am not a people person. Being face to face is worse. I can deal with people online at least to some extent. I still hope to get better, but it's not an easy task.

Yes, not going far is helpful. I'd like to have my camera with me when I go to the park sometimes, but then I have to worry about it and can't just set it down like I do with the dogs' stuff. Well, any camera is going to have a learning curve. Really, any new thing is going to have a learning curve. It does take time. But I think finding the camera may be the hardest part because there are a lot of them. There are also photography forums like this site where people can help.

Oh, she is. That's what makes everything so weird and complicated though. We had that issue with a dog too. Great dog, great temperament, couldn't really ask for much better from a rescue dog. Ended up biting a kid in the lip because the kid woke her up mid-sleep! So you end up with a really great dog that should be easily adopted and it's made more difficult because she has a bite history. And now Spring, the cat, has three bites! It starts getting difficult to blame the people with so many incidences even if it's true. But people who want a cat or have a cat should know cat body language and they should be able to notice those sorts of things.

I think it can be, but it is a slow process. You, I think, will know that better than most having worked with ferals so much. It isn't all or nothing. They can trust you to some extent, but not fully trust you. With a wild animal, I think you're looking at probably years of work to have full trust. Haha. Afraid of ducks, but not opossums? I think that's a little backwards! I don't mind the ducks though they can get a bit overwhelming, but I will admit I am not a fan of the giant geese with teeth... They look like they'd fight you. And maybe win. The Muscovies kind of creeped me out at first with their red faces, but they're really good birds. I want to have some one day.

That makes sense. Might not be a bad thing to be able to live with less and not need all the complicated stuff. It has gotten to be a lot. Can be fun, but I get confused and overwhelmed sometimes too.

Yes! My mom burns up at night, but I freeze. I've worn five pairs of socks at night in the winter before. I just cannot handle the heat. It physically exhausts me and I always have to worry about possibly fainting. The humidity sucks. We're cold and dry in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. I would leave America if I could, but doing so with animals and my mom is too difficult. Maybe impossible. So I'm stuck here, but I agree, not many good places to live.

I think so. Plus you can sit on the couch with them! Hmm... I guess it depends on how bad your eyesight is. They come in a lot of different sizes, so I would imagine you could get a pretty big one. I don't know that mine is a whole lot smaller than a desktop screen? I haven't compared. To connect it to the internet you should just need the password, I think? Maybe the router number for the first time which should be on the router box. Otherwise the laptop pretty much walks you through picking your time zone and whatnot. Just don't get Windows 8. :ohwell:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep :/ We need to do something. :(

Yes it is hard until you climb over that wall of worry. Which you will. No, I agree, it is not the worst at all. Well, being prepared is not bad as long as it doesn't impact the eventual outcome or prevent something good from happening. EXACTLY!!! Yes, in time the anxiety will go away. :) That is what you tell me but I sure don't see it!! If you can be like you are with me you can be that way with anyone, anytime!!! Well, you could definitely have friends if you wanted. You are extremely likeable. You have a lot to offer others and I think some others have something to offer as well. Oh, I consider you a friend. :) Well, it seems like you helped get animals adopted so you must be better with people then you realize. If you hope and want to get better you will. Once you "break the ice" you will realize you could always do it. I KNOW you can. :) It isn't easy BUT I know you can do it.

Yes. Yes, you would not want to have that taken. Yes. Learning curve. Sometimes that is scary and hard. :/ That is a good idea but I will need someone at the store to help.

:/ Ughhhhhhhh. Mid-sleep? Of course that can happen. :( Yes, poor Spring. I agree. She is not for everyone but definitely for someone. It is frustrating. More of a challenge. :(

Agreed. It does help with food though. ;) Agreed. Yes, a lot of times they will mirror our own trust. Yes, if ever achievable. I guess I just want to trust not to get hurt!!! ;) Hahahaha, really? Interesting. I am not at all afraid of opossums. :/ Well, not much at all I guess really. Ducks yes. :/ Go figure. Oh yes, geese or swans I am afraid of!!! I don't know Muscovies. I need to google. But I am afriad ot now or I might never finish this with my stupid computer the way it is now.

Maybe but maybe I am missing out. If you get confused it must be complicated...........................

Oh yes. I am like you with the socks. But not with the heat. I do fine. Oh my. That sounds crazy. So variable. :/ Yes, we all are probably. Where would you go in the world if you could?

Oh, I didn't think of that. Pretty bad nowadays. :( I can make the print bigger too like I do now. Oh my. Router, I don't know that stuff. I need someone to get it started. But with Covid. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Oh I have Windows. It is awful!!!! They have updates that mess up the computer. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wish it was all easier..........................................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, sounds like it. It's unfortunate things can't just last!

Yes, very hard. I've been trying to, but I'm very skilled at stalling until I lose my chance. Sometimes it may, but I don't think it's impacting anything huge yet. It very well may at some point though. I am a logical, reasonable person (I think), so I know that this anxiety is unnecessary and has no basis. However, sometimes emotions don't care about that. Well, I have to like a person to be as I am with you. My likeability varies on the people I'm interacting with. Lol. Coworkers at my mom's last job apparently thought I was a snob. It's not easy to find people I'd even want to be friends with let alone interact enough that we ended up being friends. I've never been good at making or keeping friends. Oh, I can talk about animals. Talking about animals is the easiest thing for me to talk about. And I've certainly gotten better since working at the shelter. I've had to be more social. It wasn't much of a choice.

Definitely not! That's a lot of money. Yes, it is. Photography was very scary for me to get into because I didn't know anything about it and I have tremors, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get good pictures or if they'd be blurred by my shaking. It's a lot of money to spend on equipment if you can't even use it! But I did it and I am so happy I did. It isn't exactly 'simple', but it isn't difficult either, if that makes any sense.

Yes, that was a tricky situation. I don't think a dog should be so quick to bite and bite that hard, but it's difficult when the dog was asleep. I mean, neither of my dogs would do that. I know because I've woken them up plenty of times. So it seems like there must be something that makes a dog inclined to do so, but either way you can't change it. Spring should be a pretty easy cat. She's pretty, she's sweet, she's confident. But people have to ruin that.

Food definitely helps. Haha. Yes, I have noticed that as well. Kind of scary because if you give too much trust then it can backfire on you, but I do feel that you often have to give a little trust to get trust back. Well, I guess we should have a little bit of fear of all wild animals. Muscovies aren't actually wild though, so I don't think they should count. I will post a picture. Swans are mean. I remember one trying to steal a bag of bread from me while I was feeding the ducks as a kid...

A lot of stuff gets complicated. You don't necessarily need to know all of it. Like computers. You can get to this site. You don't need to know how computers work to do that. Just minimize what you need to know and you're good. But yes, I think anyone can confused sometimes with all the technology and whatnot we have.

I hate the heat. I had to do yard work this morning and it was gross. Our weather has been really weird the last few years too. Switzerland! Or Iceland. I do love Iceland. Probably one of the most green, environmentally friendly country, but no trees. Very pretty, but I think I'd miss the trees and forests. Switzerland is better than the US in being green and they have very pretty mountains and all the glaciers... I'd be content just going to Canada too though. Better than here.

Yes, you can always make it bigger. My eyesight is technically terrible as well, but the glasses mostly fix that. I honestly don't know which box is the router either. There's a few. Lol. I would just look for a number that looks like it could be it and try it. If it doesn't work, look for another one. My mom knows more about it than I do. I have Windows 10 which I am fine with. The updates do suck and are often times pointless.

Well, some things get easier, but I think that requires other things getting more complicated. It can be a lot.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CUTE duck!!!! :)

Yep :( Gonna have to do it somehow........................

:/ Yes BUT you are TRYING!!!! THAT is GREAT!!! :) We all are good at stalling............... :/ Good to hear it is not impacting much. You are VERY logical, reasonable, (and I will add intelligent, fun, cool, kind, likeable and I could go on and on). AGREED!!! :) I am really glad to hear you know it as well. You are correct. Well, me too. I have to like someone to enjoy a conversation, want one, etc. Hahahaha, I think many of us have our likeability adjust to those we are talking to. If I am talking to a fool or an idiot I am NOT likeable!!!! Awwwwwwwwwww. I can see where they might think that (not from our interactions but generically being "aloof" or not interested). I totally agree. It is HARD to find people one wants to be friends with THEN getting to know them I think people find maybe they aren't always worth it. Finding TRUE friends is rare imo. BUT if you can it is really worth it. Well, yes you can talk about animals BUT I think we talk about a lot more than that!!! THAT is GREAT that the shelter has helped!!! :) So you can do it!!! :)

YES!!! Totally scary. But you confronted the fear (unlike me) and achieved knowledge, success (great pictures). It makes sense BUT I think you are more intelligent and more capable as well. I do want to try though.

Yes, well, we don't know the dog's history AND it was early in the adoption. I have had a lot of rescues and that is more common in my experience. Awwww, Spring sounds great. Yes. :( People..............................

Yes!!! Mine ate last night then went and got a drink like always. SO silly!!! Like one of the gang...................... Ohhhhh, Muscovies aren't wild. I understand now BUT aren't they always a bit wild basically?

YES!!! AGREED!!! Once it is setup and stable I can do it I guess (get on a site) but getting there is the hard part. :( Yes but people like you do better.....................

Oh my. Yikes, climate change. Ohhhhhh, I would LOVE Switzerland. Iceland but no trees, I need trees and I LOVE mountains and need them as well. Oh Canada as well. Interesting. I can see that but it is so cold. :( I am amazed, we agree once again!!!

Yes. I need it big. :( My glasses are doing less good nowadays. :( Oh my, I am already confused. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Somehow I will have to figure out how to get someone in and do it and wear masks and have all the windows open etc. :( Oh I know. They mess up the computer. :(

Yes :/ I kinda like simple. I don't do complicated well.

That is one gorgeous duck!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be cute, but some can be a bit scary. Some have a lot of that red on their faces and it can be quite bumpy. They're also bigger than the average duck.

Unfortunately, it does sound like it's going to be unavoidable.

I am though maybe not enough. I want to get better, but it's hard to know even how to start or what to do. It certainly has its impact, but so far I've managed with all the big things like getting a job or going to school. Haha, yes, it can be hard to talk to idiots. I have always been very quiet/unable to converse with people I'm not comfortable with. It's not even a matter of not wanting to (not that I do want to), but literally not knowing what to say or being too slow to come up with a response. So apparently I come off as snobby, but that's not really case (maybe a little bit). Like I said, my job has helped and I'm better about being able to hold a conversation (somewhat), but the hardest part has always been and still is starting a conversation. Going up to someone and starting to talk to them is absolutely terrifying. I don't even know why. Definitely not easy to find true friends. I always think I did, but am then proven wrong.

I don't think I'm more intelligent. Perhaps more used to today's technology. You don't always have to start out good at something to get good. I had no drawing skills when I started. Lol. I'm still not great, but I'm a lot better! Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you make something work. Photography especially isn't inaccessible even if you have no initial talent for you. It's all stuff you can learn.

No, but we'd had her for a while, so we got pretty familiar with her. I don't know why people expect so much from animals so early on. Like the animal should just be completely comfortable with them right off the bat and especially so if the animal acts comfortable. They're quick to forget that everything is still so new.

Haha. He's at home with you and the cats, it sounds like. Nope, not in most of the U.S., anyway. They're originally from south of the U.S. and were domesticated before coming here. The populations existing in this country are birds that either escaped farms or were dumped by people who got them as pets. They're like stray cats.

But at least that beginning part of getting set up in only temporary and, really, that's not anything different than anyone else. It may take some people a little longer or a little more work than others, but everyone struggles with learning new things at times. I am certainly no expert when it comes to technology. There's so much involved in it that my knowledge is very limited in comparison.

Well, they're all cold countries. I wouldn't go somewhere not cold. Switzerland and Iceland are both beautiful. Well, Iceland doesn't haven't mountains, but they do have volcanoes. I think I'd miss trees too. I do definitely want to go on a trip to Iceland though. It really is a very pretty place even without trees.

I don't know much about desktops or their setup. They do seem complicated. I've set up several laptops. They're pretty simple. Could you perhaps stay outside while they work inside? They could still wear masks and gloves and open up the windows to be extra cautious. You hang out on the porch (if you have one) and wait until they leave. Then disinfect everything.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am trying this again. Here is (I hope) a video of Brindy carrying her toy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. Bumps? Interesting. Bigger too. Were they created by people or did they exist in the wild?

Yep :(

Well, do most of us every do enough??? At least you are AND you are aware it may not be enough. Wanting to get better is the key. A good motivator. Yes but I don't think you should over think it. Like at a dog show and you like a dog channel that into a conversation. And over time the momentum of the process will take over. Just be yourself like you are here with me. YES!!! In the really important things it has not had much of an impact. And that is great!!! Also, when you want a dog to get adopted or not you overcome any fears. Yes on idiots!!! :) I think most people are uncomfortable etc with people they don't know, aren't comfortable with, etc. That is very normal. Yes, agreed, not knowing what to say, how to respond, etc. Some of that is overthinking I think. We fear we will look foolish or something like that. And of course sometimes with nothing in common it is so hard. Yes, that makes sense. Not responding to something that probably is not all that interesting or important. So yes, that can come across as "snobby" though wrongly I agree. GREAT about the job helping!! Well, I think everyone has that issue about starting conversations. And for a lot of reasons. Not wanting to bother someone, not looking like a fool, getting "rejected", and on and on. That is totally normal. It is interesting because you strike me as very self confident. So if you can channel that self confidence into the conversation area I think you will be able to get over that hurdle fairly soon. Everything you mention is everything we all go through at some point. Agreed, not easy to find true friends at all. :( If we find one I think we are lucky. VERY few have multiple from my experience. :/ You will though. You just need to find that "right" friend. They will be lucky and get great enjoyment from your friendship.

Yes, you absolutely are. I guarantee you are much more intelligent than the vast majority of people your age. I agree with all of that. BUT I do think some people have certain talents latent in their being. And once stirred it really comes out. I need to get over my fears and being overwhelmed....................................

AGREED!!!!

Yes. It is funny really. Interesting.

So true. Well, I think you do well with that complicated stuff.

Yes. Interesting you wouldn't go somewhere other than cold. I guess me too??? I would like to visit Switzerland. It looks beautiful. Yes, a vacation to Iceland would be great. Living I couldn't, no trees, no good. :( No mountains, no good. :(

I don't either. Yes, I am thinking that. But we don't like people in the house with the animals etc. But we would have to have everyone masked up and disinfect, open windows, etc. I think we have to do it. This Covid is just horrific. :(

It worked!!! It took some time and froze a bit but it worked!!! :) OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! Is she ADORABLE or what?!?!?!?!?!?! And she is SO PROUD!!!! Awwwww, I LOVE her!!!! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are getting the new computer set up tomorrow. :) Wish us luck, I think we need it!!!!

It might take a bit of time to learn it etc so it might take some time to respond.

Fingers crossed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, LOOK! OSIRIS SPLIT INTO TWO!

20220607_141206.jpg

Okay, maybe not, but the mini-me is part of the reason I haven't been able to reply. He was surrendered to the shelter last Friday (I think. Maybe Saturday.) and I delayed bringing him home until after work Monday, but I couldn't say no. My mom couldn't say no either. Lol. Though she did make it very clear we were not keeping this one. His name is/was Mick and he was adopted last night.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to type up an actual response. I had to use today to catch up in school as I got behind while taking care of the pup. We're also short staffed at work and I'm working four days instead of three. Taking on a pup was a bad idea, so it was for the best he got adopted quickly. He was havoc.

Anyway, I just had to get on to say that so you didn't worry I died or something. And I couldn't wait any longer to talk about Mick any longer. I hope the new computer set up goes well and everything works out. Take your time and figure things out, I'll be working the next four days, so probably won't be able to reply anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahahaha, well, with my eye sight maybe ;)

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You couldn't resist!!!! Ok, I can see why though!!! I LOVE him!! Ooooooooo, you are fostering. Oooooooo, he was adopted already!!!! Yep, I can see why!!!

That is ok, I understand. OH my, yes, just focus on everything and respond later.

I have a new intact feral trying to join my colony. Where he came from, how he has survived etc I have no clue. He is a handful as well trying to get him trapped etc and trying to keep them from fighting.

Awwwwww. I will admit, I was a bit worried. :/ So THANK YOU for letting me know.

So far the new computer and set up is really nice. Fast. I don't really know how it all works so I just click on the stuff like I did before. But how it is all connected, etc I have no clue. But it worlk well!!! Fingers crossed!!!

When you have time that is fine. I will have my hands full with "Billy" (I named him that as he reminds me of a billy goat on a cartoon from my childhood that ate everything). My new guy eats everything!!! Poor guy. :/

Good luck on catching up and try not to get too stressed and tired. You will do great and handle it all I am sure. Talk soon!!! You did make my heart stop when you mentioned Mick. ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been... interesting lately. Pup was adopted Wednesday evening. Thursday afternoon Osiris got sick. Stopped eating, we thought he might be depressed since Mick was gone, but then he threw up. He acted nauseas the rest of the evening and didn't eat, threw up again overnight, but seemed better by Friday afternoon. Then Friday evening Ember may either jumped off the top of the cat stand and landed weird or fell off. I don't know, I just know I came out of the bathroom and she wasn't putting any weight on her right front foot. My mom said she heard a loud thump. Of course all the vets were closed by then, so I was talking to the vet tech working at the shelter and she recommended just keeping an eye on her and limiting her activity. The limping became more on and off and the last time I saw her limp was briefly the following morning. Sunday night, I went to pick Ember up to take her to bed. She was sitting on the couch and when I went to lift her up, it felt like she sort of fell into my hand. It seemed strange, but I brushed it off and thought it might've been the couch shifting. When I put her down in my room, her back end just sort of... toppled over. She got her feet under her, but was very wobbly and unsteady. If you held her for a moment and put her back down, she'd almost fall over. Again, vets all closed. She was acting otherwise fine, trying to chase a bug around my room and just wanting attention. Next morning, she was getting around fine. Maybe a tiny bit stiff in the back end, but not wobbly. I called the vet anyway, but they couldn't get her in since I worked the evening shift. We got an appointment scheduled for Tuesday at 3 since she seemed better anyway. While I was at work on Monday, my mom started texting me that Osiris was throwing up again. He didn't eat that night. Seemed fine the next morning. I ended up taking him to the vet too anyway.

Ultimately, we don't know what happened to Ember. We're hoping she just got hurt in a fall off the cat stand. Worst situation, the wobbliness could be recurrent and could be the reason she fell off the cat stand. The vet couldn't really think of any good reason she'd have this sort of issue other than just an injury.

Osiris began not feeling well again shortly after the vet trip, so glad I took him. They put him on probiotics, but wanted to avoid antibiotics. He's been nauseous on and off, has thrown up once, but seems to be keeping food down.

Mick was fun, but a pain. Really didn't like being left alone. Sounded like he got destructive in his previous home likely due to boredom and/or separation anxiety, and they ended up keeping him primarily outside. He was 6 months old and absolutely nuts. No ability to settle himself. Wanted to go 24/7. Him and Osiris were best friends. A little too much alike though. They egged each other on a lot. Couldn't just lay with each other calmly. Someone had to escalate things. They played rough. They really were pretty similar just in the way they moved and did things. They'd lay the same way, do the same behaviors, etc. Mick was higher energy and more driven. Definitely had more toy drive than Osiris.

Don't worry! If something really serious happened, I'd tell you.

Oh, a new cat! Haha, Billy. I guess it's a good thing he isn't picky. I hope you get him trapped and taken care of!

Great on the computer! Mine's been weird lately now. :ohwell: I think I ask a little too much from it. Had too many big programs running and then one of them froze and wouldn't let me exit out of it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS. I just read the first paragraph. :(

Yes. :( Hard to know. Could she have stumbled with a claw stuck, etc.

Poor Osiris. :( Ughhhhhhhhh. He sounds like he is getting better. Hopefully it continues. Fingers crossed.

Awwwwwwww. Keeping him outside? Yikes!!! Oooooooo, they really liked each other. I wonder if it was him leaving, etc (stress). Poor guy. :( Awwww, Mick loved being there. Yes, they will be like that often when they get along so well. :/ Awwwwww, he seems so sweet. What do you think he is?

Whew!!!! Glad to know that. Nothing should happen but sometimes we worry. :/

Yep. He is SO SWEET!!! I have no idea how he has survived this long. Where he came from. Trying to schedule something but everyone is so booked. :( So frustrating. 2 weeks an appointment. :( I need to find him a home. He cannot be out there. He will not survive. I am really thinking of taking him in but I am full. I don't know it breaks my heart. Have to figure something.

YES!!! I can't believe what a difference!!! This site has no issues now. Oh my. :( That is not good. Can you take those programs off or do you need them? Ughhhhhhh, computers.................................

Let me know how Osiris and Ember are doing. I hope it was nothing and a one off thing.

Hang in there.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's been my life here.

Well, our best explanation is that Ember landed weird jumping off the cat stand or fell off which injured her leg and maybe led to some swelling or something in her spine, causing her to lose control over her back end. We hope that's what it was because that means it was likely just a one-time thing. So far, so no other issues.

Osiris had his ups and downs. He'd go half the day totally fine, if a bit lacking in energy, and the other half lethargic and nauseous and not eating. But yesterday was the first day he went without doing that at all and it looks like we might finally be in the clear. He was definitely ready to play today.

Unfortunately, by the sounds of it. They really, really liked each other. It could get a bit obsessive. Well, on Osiris's part at least. To be honest, I find he tends to be worse than the pups about wanting to play constantly. The pup will ignore him, but then he starts something. It can be frustrating. I honestly think there's at least a decent chance the two of them could be related. I'm already pretty sure Osiris came from a backyard breeder and they are probably still breeding. They just had so many of the same quirks and ways of moving. It wasn't just looks that were similar. If not a direct relative, then likely a similar mix. I think Mick looked a little more GSD than Osiris does.

I understand. I try not to disappear for too long without saying anything, but truly, if something seriously bad happened, I would let you know. There was plenty of 'bad' lately, but nothing so urgent.

If he's sweet, do you think he was dumped? Maybe somebody knows you take care of ferals and dumped him nearby? Yes, my vet was nearly booked up for two weeks. I barely got an appointment and we weren't sure he'd be able to see both of my animals since the appointment was originally only for Ember. The shelter has been struggling too. We don't have our vet anymore and only have a vet coming in one day a week. Otherwise we have to schedule with outside vet clinics and they're scheduling weeks or even months out.

That's great! I could probably get rid of a drawing program or two, but for the most part, I need them. I have a drawing program that I paid for as well as four photo editing programs. None of those can go.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( In life that happens much more than we like. But we learn how best to handle it and make it the best we can. I think you are doing great so far.

That makes sense. I hope so. I am really glad it has not happened again, no other issues. Whew. Good sign.

GREAT!!! Yikes. Do you think it was a bity of separation with hotter temperatures? I am assuming you have hotter temps since it looks like most of the country is in a heat wave. I LOVE he wanted to play again!!!!

Ughhhhhhhh :( Awwwwwwwwww. It is really nice but sad as well. Osiris is so friendly. That is really cute!! I love his personality. Really? Wow. That would be rare, no? Some animals do share traits. Did you think Mick more? I didn't see that but maybe it was just the picture? You saw him in all angles.

:) I know you would. Yes, a lot of bad lately. :( But part of life sadly. And you are doing everything you can to improve it so being smart and being diligent helps mitigate the bad.

I wondered that. But he is intact and people here tend to be responsible. Could be but I sense probably not. I do wonder if someone was kinda taking care of him and maybe they couldn't anymore. He was skittish the first two days but warmed up with good food really fast. Now he is all rubbing etc. But being intact makes my colony not so good about him. OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!! I saw the white squirrel today!!!!! :) HAS to be the same one!!!! Yes. Vets are in very short supply now. :( Not good you lost your vet (at the shelter). Another thing in short supply nowadays. :( Billy did not show up this morning. :( OR so far this morning now. I will admit, I am worried. :(

Oh wow!!! Yes, if you need them. 4 photo editing? WOW!!!!

I am so happy to hear they are doing better. Let's hope it was just "one of those things". Happens more often than we like. Good job helping them through it all!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ember is still fine. Doing well.

Osiris got sick again. He got through Friday & Saturday fine, but Sunday and Monday morning he threw up, both times after going to the park and then getting a drink of water. Monday afternoon/evening he started having diarrhea. I called the vet this morning (Tuesday) and he wants to put him back on the prescription diet he was on before. :ohwell: I really hate dealing with this expensive prescription diet and not being able to feed him anything else. I didn't really get the sense that it helped the first time around. It has been hot, but we only go out in the mornings and not for very long.

They got along really well, but they were obnoxious. If the pup had stayed, they'd need to be able to settle together. No way I could deal with the two of them wanting to play 24/7. I don't allow it in the house at all. Not enough space and too many little animals to get in the way. Mick will be an absolutely fantastic dog if his adopters put in the work, but he'll be an absolute nightmare if they don't. I could tell he had a lot of potential, but he was mostly nightmarish while here. When I first saw him, he looked pretty much identical to Osiris minus the fact that he had less white and his eyes were a different color, but as I saw them together I noticed more differences, mostly in their head structure. Osiris has a very long, thin face. Mick's wasn't so long. His head seemed to be more like a GSD's whereas Si's is somewhere in between GSD and sighthound. Mick had better posture too. And a deeper bark. Very, very impressive bark for such a little thing. Kinda scared me sometimes. Lol.

Indeed, but it is a pain. I don't know what to think about Osiris. He's been such a mess since we got him and every time we think everything is sorted, something comes up again.

That's good that people around there tend to be responsible (can't say the same around here), but you never know. I would say it's fairly normal for even the friendliest of cats to become skittish if they've been living outside for a while. Poor guy. Those darn hormones. GREAT! Yes, probably the same one. I'd be surprised if you ever saw another one in the wild again. That's pretty impressive. That's really awesome. Yeah, it's not been easy. Oh, no. I hope he shows up. Or I hope someone decided to take him in! I know, I haven't seen Old Tom in a while and I'm wondering if he's finally gone for good. He usually disappears until I start thinking he went off and died somewhere then shows up again, but it's been several months at this point.

Yep, they all do things a little bit differently. I have three that are part of a subscription that I'm paying for so it's like might as well use all three. The fourth is something my dad got for me and it's simpler/easier to use. Nice for quickly editing shelter pictures.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT!!!! Must have been a one off thing.

:( Could there be anything at the park that he eats? Or maybe the fertilizer or sprays they might use? Poor guy. :( Ughhhhhhh. Breaks my heart.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. He sounds so wonderful. I hope he got a good family.

:( He is sensitive to something. :( So hard to find it. He was doing so well. He is such a great dog, I hate to gear he isn't feeling well. :(

Yes. :/ Yes, agreed. Can't be two white ones????? I hope so. Predators. Well, intacts will disappear for a while. It is just so hard to be a feral. Makes me sick actually. I should have gotten him when I could. :(

Yep, always like that, isn't it. :/ Agreed, might as well use them. Hopefully you can settle on 1 at some point. Easy is good!!!!

Let me know how Osiris is doing. So frustrating. It happens though. Hopefully he gets better.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, it looks that way.

He does apparently like to eat rabbit poo, but the vet doesn't seem to think he's eating enough to cause problems. I am thinking of getting a muzzle he can't eat things through though. His current muzzle doesn't really stop him and it's gotten a bit small for him anyway. We have actually been at the park while they were spraying and asked about it. They said it is pet and child safe, but who knows. Stella doesn't have any issues though. He seems fine today though. Hasn't had issues since I called the vet, of course. He didn't poop yesterday, pooped a small amount today. No throwing up or diarrhea though.

He'll be good with work. I just hope they're willing to put in the work. They said they had a GSD mix with a lot of behavioral problems who passed a couple of months before, but my concern was that they were looking for a playmate for their 9-year-old lab. Who gets a crazy 6-month-old obnoxious GSD puppy as a playmate for their 9-year-old dog? Even if he's active, I don't think any 9-year-old dog wants a puppy.

He's a sensitive dog in general. I don't really see what his food has to do with it though. If it was his food, I don't think he'd be going months at a time with no problems.

I wouldn't expect to see two white ones. Most people don't ever see one. It's fairly rare for albinism or leucism to occur in the wild and even rarer for the animals to survive to adulthood. It is concerning, but it's not your fault if something did happen to him. I'd say it's the fault of whoever left him out there because if he's really that friendly then I'd say he must have had human contact at a pretty young age. Someone failed him when he was a kitten.

Probably not. They do things differently enough that they have different strengths and somewhat different functions, particularly Photoshop which does something different than the other three.

I will keep you updated.