Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great!!!

Interesting. That makes sense. I guess it depends on what you have to do with it around. I like the positive attitude!! :)

Awwwwwwwwwwww.

Yes. She is adorable!! And that face she has!!!!

Interesting. :( On the inbreeding. I am surprised on the pittie because I don't see it in him. But is is pretty small. He is ADORABLE and still my dream dog!!! :) Very interesting. He is very GS which he sure looks to me as well so not surprising to me. What were you surprised about? The inbreed coefficient? Or something else?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always liked snow. My mom makes fun of me for getting excited when it snows. It's so pretty though and it's just that much better when you have a dog who enjoys it.

She is. ♥ I love Stella. She's such a good dog. Just an anxious one. But she's just so loving and loyal it's almost to a fault.

Well, on the one hand it's kind of surprising he's pittie because he definitely didn't express any pittie genes. But on the other, it's almost not surprising because they're so common. Probably most of the mix breeds in America of some amount of pit in them. I was surprised by 85% German shepherd. I knew he'd be pretty high, but not that high. He's just so lanky and thin and does not have the drive or stamina. I was expecting some sighthound since they have a similar build and, while they do have high prey drive, they're pretty laid back, lazy dogs. It's still possible he has some, but it's clearly a very tiny amount if he does. The inbreed coefficient was maybe more surprising than it should have been. It pretty much confirms he's from a backyard breeder which I'd already suspected, but it's really quite high. He also has a lot of working line German shepherd relatives which does not help explain his chill temperament.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww. It is cute. I guess to look at it it probably is pretty and totally agree, when an animal is happy it makes us happy!!! :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :)

Agreed, I never saw the pittie. But I think I was told A LOT of dogs have a touch of pittie. Not sure if it is true though. Ahhhh, I just read your next line. Yes. common. Oh, well, you wrote the same thing I have been told. Pittie is so common. Oh, you thought he would be lower GS. That was not surprising to me. He looks so GS to me and is smart like a GS etc. 85% is not at all surprising to me. That IS probably why he is my dream dog as well (or at least part of it). Interesting on sighthound. Hmmmmmm, if he has any it must be teenie tiny. Yes, you did say he was probably from a backyard breeder. Oooooooooo, he has a lot of working line GS. INTERESTING!!! No wonder why I am so attracted to him. Interesting. Hmmmm, yes, does not his (perfect in my eyes) temperament.

I just learned so much!!!! So interesting. A lot makes sense as to why I love him so much. AND I learned a lot about genetics etc.

THANKS!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have a little bit of a hard time with ruining it. Like, on the one hand it's so perfect after it's fallen and it's even and I don't want to mess it up. But on the other hand, I really want to go play in it with Osiris.

Pitties are extremely common. Their genes seem to come through a lot, but just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. It's not really surprising that Osiris might have a touch of pit in him just due to how common they are. I thought he'd have a pretty high percentage of GSD, but I mean, even half GSD would be pretty high. He's waaay too lanky for a GSD. Built more like a greyhound than anything which is why I expected some sighthound. He's about as tall as great Pyrenees and the Irish wolfhound we had at the shelter once. Of course, it doesn't detract from his looks. He's a beautiful dog. I actually like slender dogs, so a slender-built GSD is not at all a bad thing. It's just interesting he has that much GSD in him and no slender-built breeds were detected. And I'd expect more drive from 85% GSD, especially with so many working line GSDs. It just makes you wonder how it all happened and how he came to be what he is.

I think it's all really interesting. I love learning about genetics. And I love talking about the things I enjoy which I don't get to do often because no one else cares. So really, thank you for letting me talk about the things I enjoy. ;)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwwwww. Yep, like a lot of things in life. :/ BUT it is there for us to enjoy as best as possible as well.

Yes, makes sense. Interesting. Yes. He always looked very GS to me but maybe the pictures make him look different? I actually much prefer his shape vs the common GS. Do you think the color makes him look different? It would be interesting to know how he became the dog he is. I will say, I think he is terrific. He would be ideal for me.

It really is interesting. Hahahaha, well, I am not sure no one else cares, probably just too busy. :/ Or people your age not as sophisticated. Awwwwwwwwww, you are welcome but THANK YOU for helping me learn!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our weather is so freaking weird. After that snow, it got up to the fifties. Then we got a rain/ice storm with a little more snow. The last few days have been in the sixties and tomorrow is warm too, but it's going to rain tonight and tomorrow. Then the day after tomorrow is going to be in the low thirties and it's going to snow. :doh: Like, how do you go from mid-sixties to low thirties and snow literally in a couple of days?!

He definitely has a GSD face though slightly elongated. His eyes too. I don't think I've seen the orange eyes in another breed and not even all GSDs have them. I'm used to black GSDs since they've always caught my attention, so his color doesn't throw me off, but it does for a lot of people. He has a short, sleek coat versus the thick double coat of the GSD. The white would be unusual. He's very leggy. Thinly built. His chest is weird. I can't even explain it. It's definitely noticeable when he lays on his back. It's like very thin, but deep. Like it fits in the gap between my thumb and pointer finger almost perfectly. He's very pretty. I think the only physical trait I wish he'd gotten from the GSD is the coat. I like a little bit of a coat on a dog over the short and sleek, but that's not major. He is very pretty. There are still times where I may be willing to give him to you. ;) Less often than it used to happen though.

No, I don't think most people care. If it doesn't interest or directly affect them, people don't really care. My mom has been more interested in the genetics since we did his DNA test, but usually when I talk about it she just looks at me weird. It's all really interesting to think that such tiny things you can't even see them influence your appearance, personality, etc.

It's been weird. Just in a week the shelter has gone from being full of dogs to being pretty empty. We had over twenty. We're done to eleven. Four went home yesterday. Might've gotten someone interested in Ivy. Though she's the only dog McLovin' can play with...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. That is really wild!! It must feel so strange, that up and down. :/ 30 degree difference is really big!!!

Agreed though slightly elongated? Hmmmmmmm, I didn't see that. Yes, totally the eyes. GORGEOUS!!! Interesting, I rarely see black GSs. :( Yes, I MUCH PREFER his coat. I love that coat in GSs. But again, more rare in my experience. Yes, more leggy than some but again I much prefer that. And it might look that way because of his shape (which again I prefer). Hmmmmmmm, his chest? Yeah, I guess I never saw that. In the pictures he looks normal. I never noticed anything. He is GORGEOUS. Literally he is my dream dog. A GS like that is hard to find. I rarely see them that gorgeous, that perfect. Interesting, I actually prefer his coat. Interesting. If he was next to a standard GS I wouldn't even notice the standard GS. :/ I mean I like them but they are just so common, so boring really. Like nothing special. :/ Awwwwww!!!! ;) He not only has the looks but I love his personality as well. Do you think he is more intelligent think the typical GS?

Well, you are probably right. I guess I don't talk to many non-animal people anymore. Hahahaha, you made me laugh "look at me weird". Hahahaha, TOO FUNNY!!! I am not surprised she is more interested. It really is interesting. It is AMAZING!!! How siblings (humans, animals) can look alike but act differently, or look differently and act similar. And the genes and the environment impact. Fascinating.

WOW!! Interesting. Awwwwwwwww, Ivy is a good dog. Poor McLovin'. :( Hopefully he can find a home soon then.............................. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh It would be really good for Ivy though.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now it's not even supposed to get the 30 today. It is weird. I don't mind the sixties and I don't mind the thirties, but not right after each other! I need time to adapt.

It's not super noticeable. I only really noticed how much longer/thinner his face was when I saw a GSD in real life. Once I saw that, I realized his face is a bit slender. And black GSDs aren't super common, but since I've been interested in working lines I've been exposed to more just through pictures/videos. Working lines tend to be sable, black, or bicolor. Show lines tend to be saddle backs which is the most common type. He's not just leggier than most GSDs, he's leggier than all purebred GSDs. That's not a GSD trait. He is a stunning dog. I am not, in any way, trying to say he's not beautiful. He is. I love sighthounds. I love GSDs. He kind of combines the two. I like anything soft and fluffy, so hence the preference for a little more fur. His is very easy to keep up with, cleans easily, etc., but it's very sleek. Has gotten stuck in my skin too. Not an issue I've had with any of the other animals. I think it depends on the GSD. There is quite a bit of variation in the breed, just not enough to accommodate Osiris. But a dark sable or black working line GSD is a pretty impressive dog. Osiris is gorgeous. None of this is to say anything against him. But there is a certain intensity to a working line GSD that's appealing and I think it just shows in the way they hold themselves. Haha. No, not more intelligent. It can be hard to tell though because he just doesn't have the motivation that GSDs typically have. They live to work and were bred to work with you. Osiris can be smart, but he can also be kind of dense.

I'm trying not to. We did hire a new guy at work who is really nice and does truly love the animals. He's fun to talk to. Smart, but not arrogant about it. She does, she looks at me like I'm nuts. I think it's all really interesting. And Osiris has an identical brother that we know of as well as a relative about a year older who also looks nearly identical. Like, what are the chances of that?

She is. She's just a lot to handle. Her and McLovin' both. They need their homes. I'd love to see them get adopted. And keep it that way. No more coming back.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree.

Agreed. And interesting. Is there a different genetic line with black GSs vs the common GS? Oh, I guess you are answering this. But he doesn't have sighthound in him. Hmmmm, interesting. DO you think he really is dense OR is so smart he is like "whatever"? ANd that is the lack of motivation issue?

Oh, I know you are not trying to. But it is kinda funny how you describe it. I can picture "the look". Oh the new guy sounds cool. Really? Identical????? VERY INTERESTING.

Yes and yes and yes. But that is not bad just need to have the right person. TOTALLY AGREE!!

Thank you for bringing some joy to these dark days.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, so much for the snow. All we got was ice. You go out and you think it's snow. Then you try to pick some up (or run in it). Nope. It's ice. Osiris still likes it though. Lol.

German shepherds are all going to share a good percentage of their DNA. That's what makes them a breed. But there will definitely be differences that cause the different weights, heights, coat colors, patterns, etc. From what I can remember, there's at least three different pattern/color genes: black, sable, and bicolor. It's uncertain if bicolor, blanket back, and saddle back markings are all variations of the same gene or different genes entirely though. I know sable is dominant over bicolor/saddle back. That's why it's so prominent is working lines because no one cared what working dogs looked like as long as they could do the job, so the dominant gene dominated the majority of the population. Show lines are based on what people think looks good and, for whatever reason, most people liked the saddle backs the most so sable was pretty much bred out of those lines which is why it's now so rare in show lines. Solid black is somewhat newer as a color that's sought after, so it tends to be less common because no one was breeding for it at first and, if I remember correctly, it's the most recessive gene, so if either of the other genes are present then the dog won't appear black. I was quite surprised Osiris didn't have any slimmer breeds in him. His lankiness could be due to poor breeding (maybe the breeder was even trying to breed a 'new' kind of GSD) or due to early neutering or perhaps both. It is, apparently, not because he's part sighthound. Lol. And no, he can be a bit dense. Not to say he's dumb or anything. He can be smart. But he can't seem to figure out that the cats slapping him in face (even drawing blood once) is not them trying to play with him.

Yeah, the new guy is neat. He works at a dog daycare during the day and then at the shelter in the evening. He's nice and chatty enough to talk to me. Lol. Yes. Osiris was found with his brother who we did not meet, but we did see a picture and they said he looked just the same except half his size. And now this new relative from Embark looks pretty much the same too. He only has one picture up though. Looks like he has a little more white on his neck and toes, and he's a bit wider. Not sure if it's his build or if he's overweight.

Definitely. Just seems difficult to find that right home. McLovin' has become a more difficult dog in his time with us. Ivy really is just high energy and needs some impulse control. She's a good dog though.

I'm happy to do so, especially when it brings me joy as well!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( He liked it????? Hahahaha, he is too funny!!!

Wow, I just learned SO MUCH!!! I didn't realize black is a newer color. Maybe he is so smart he knows that they don't mean harm?

Wow, that is really cool. He sounds great. Interesting on his (Osiris') relatives. Maybe they bred them for that?

:/ Yes Poor McLovin', a shelter is hard for many dogs. :( She does sound like a good dog. :)

Thanks. That is so good we both benefit. I saw a piece on a Cat Cafe in Lviv, Ukraine that is staying open. The owners said they can't leave their cats. It made me happy to see the love and devotion but I hope they all stay safe. I was helping someone located in Kiev. Amazing person, just wonderful. And I am so worried about them and their cats. It is just so heartbreaking on every level. I just wish something could help everyone there. I can't believe we allowed this to happen. :( I just don't understand the evil in this world that exists. :(

Thank you for bringing light to my day.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so funny. Hates the rain. Does not mind ice falling from the sky. He'd just slide all over the place. Today got to 70 degrees and he was not so happy. Already 60 degrees when I took him out around 10 this morning and that was too warm for him. He did run in the mud and made a mess of himself, so I had to hose him off before bringing him in. And, of course, he acted like the water was going to murder him.

Well, black has existed for some time, but it's definitely become more popular. Solid black is still harder to find in GSDs, but it's starting to become more common, particularly in working lines. I think smart would be understanding and respecting their boundaries. :ohwell: He's not stupid. He figures out food puzzles easy enough, empties dispensers pretty quickly. But he can be a bit dense in certain aspects such as reading and understanding other animals' body language, including other dogs.

It's certainly possible they bred for that certain look.

Well, Ivy was adopted. Again. Hopefully for the last time. I think it was the people I talked to.

:( I'm still a little behind on everything happening with Ukraine since I don't keep up with the news, but it sounds like a terrible situation. I saw a post on Facebook about a fox rescue that's staying open despite everything as well. People can do some pretty awful things. I do hope things are sorted out and don't escalate. It is a scary world.

I'm happy to be here and talk with you. Our conversations have helped me so much, if I can help you in any way then I'm happy to.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really is. Hahahaha, doesn't mind ice!!! I can see him sliding...................... Awwwww, no, he does not like the heat. :( Awwwwww, yep, muddy. :/ Yep, they don't always like the hose. :(

Very interesting. That is absolutely my fave color. Hahahaha, well, maybe they need to tell him the boundaries more. ;) Oh no, he is not at all stupid. Maybe he is to naïve? Too good and sees only good in others?

Seems like it. Very interesting.

Awwwww, GREAT!!! Well, I would think they then knew what she is like. Fingers crossed she has found her forever home!!! :) GOOD JOB!!!

:( Sometimes it is best not to know. :( We don't have the power to change it individually. Yes, a lot of rescues, a lot of animals are at serious risk. :( It is more than heartbreaking. There is so much good in the world but a little evil can offset a lot of the good. :/ Hopefully the good around the evil can take the necessary steps.................................. :/

Awwwwwwwww. Thank you. You help me tremendously in so many ways. You are ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, doesn't mind the ice at all. He hates the hose, the rain, the showerhead... He will get into the baby pool we have, but not because he wants to. You would think the cold water feels good when he gets so hot!

I do love solid black. I am a bit torn between solid black and a really dark sable though. They're both beautiful. He does not listen to the others at all. Stella growls at him and he just gets more excited. We're pretty sure Ember cut him once. Didn't see it happen, but my mom said she heard Ember spitting and then she found blood all over the floor. We never found the injury though and he never was really scared of Ember. I think he was confused more than anything. Hmmm.... I don't know. No word perfectly covers what it is. It's not that he only sees good in others. He's actually a fairly suspicious dog. He doesn't trust other dogs, cats, people, etc. But naive would fit him in some situations. He seems good at giving signals, but not reading them. He also does weird stuff like step on things he's trying to pick up or grabbing his back paw and lifting it while he's standing on it.

I tried emphasizing her energy. She did better with them than the first guy who adopted her, so I think they saw some of the energy, but she was still a bit nervous. It's honestly almost hard to make her sound bad though. I mean, she's not. She's super smart and eager to please and wants to work with you. I don't really like doing the meets because I feel bad when I do it and the animal is brought back.

Yeah, I've tried catching up with it a bit and it all sounds very scary. Almost wish I didn't know though I don't believe in remaining ignorant of difficult things. We should know even if there isn't much we can do. Seems like a lot of countries are doing what they can to help the people and their pets though. I keep seeing posts about people getting to evacuate with their animals and restrictions have been loosened so they can.

Thank you. It means a lot. I'm glad I can be helpful.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww. Yes, one would figure.................

Yes, agreed. I do prefer black though. :/ Awwwwwwww. He is so cute. I think he probably thinks since he loves them they must love him too!!! And never mean harm. He really seems sweet. I really like his personality from what I have read.

It sounds like you did a great job. She does seem great. You shouldn't feel badly. If you tell them everything you can, are honest, then it is not your fault. If you do your best that is all you can do.

It is absolutely horrific. Maybe it is best not to know. :/ Since individually we can't really do anything. I am really glad to read that people and other countries are trying to help people and their pets as best they can. We are seeing good to counter this evil. And ultimately good win will but the cost is horrific. :( Totally senseless. 😭

You are welcome. Thank you. You are a ray of sunshine and light in an age of darkness.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black is beautiful. My favorite sables are nearly black. But if he could read their body language, he would know that is very much not true. He is sweet. Kind of a pain in the car. Doing better with his reactivity though.

She is great. So far so good, but her last adoption lasted a little while before she came back. I always feel a bit responsible for the ones I do the meets for. One of my other favorite dogs was also adopted for the third time today. I hope it works out for him, but I also already miss him.

It does seem really terrible and completely unnecessary. So sad what people do just for greed. And so frustrating that there's nothing we can do. I am glad that there are those who are willing and able to do something to help even if it's just to help people and their pets escape.

You are too kind.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed!!! :) Awwwwwww, yes. Well, maybe he does read the body language and it maybe isn't as "negative" as we humans think? I have seen cats act so scared etc THEN go back to instigate, etc. :/ VERY sweet it seems. Hahahaha, yes, the car.............. ;) Great on the reactivity.

She seems like it. GREAT (so far so good). I know but all you can do is give the best information. If you do your best, are open and honest then it is not your fault. Awwwwww, who was that (just adopted for the 3rd time :/) Awwwww, I know. We do get attached.

Agreed. :( Yep, not only greed but ego. :( Or revenge. Or fear. :( Putin is worse off for doing this. He is losing and has lost. Sadly, innocents are also losing. :( Agreed. Individually but as a whole maybe we can. Yes. I can't even help in my own area let alone elsewhere.

Awwwwww well you are great then!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I feel quite confident I know their body language. They aren't scared. On the contrary, they all seem quite confident they could take him in a fight even though he's much bigger than them. Ember hisses and spits and swats. Frost always makes weird yelling noises, lashes his tails, and swats though being hit by him is like being hit by a pillow. And Stella side-eyes him, bares teeth, growls, and will air snap with a lot of barking if he doesn't back off. Yes, we just need to get him better in different places now. He almost doesn't react at all at the local park. He did pretty good at a new park we went to the other day, but still needs some improvement. I think the hardest part will be going inside places like a pet store.

I hope she found the perfect home. We do get updates sometimes, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm not sure if I've mentioned the other dog or not. His name was Baloo. He's a big boy, probably close to Osiris's size. Just barely a year old. Super shy, timid, scared of pretty much everything until he adapts. I was a part of his first two meets. It was really only after his first adoption that he seemed to suddenly open up. He was like a totally different dog. Still timid with new people/things, but much more confident and comfortable. And he took a liking to me in particular. For whatever reason, he went from not caring about me much at all to being my best friend rather suddenly, keeping in mind I hadn't seen him for nearly a week after his meet (he was brought back the next day, but I didn't work until the following weekend). He'd follow me around, play with me, and didn't always want to leave the play yard unless I went with him.

Yes. Hopefully he'll actually lose though. Maybe something can happen that forces him out of his position. Hopeful thinking, but it would be nice. I don't know what's going to happen or what we can do, but it would be nice if this would end quickly and with minimal casualties.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to know what Osiris is thinking....................... Silly cats and dog............................ I would guess. :/ Wow, he is getting better!! Yes, inside ,might be a bit of work. But he will get there.

I hope so too. Not surprising there is no update. No, you never mentioned Baloo. Great name!! Awwwwwwww. How sweet he loves you. So odd he would be brought back the next day. :( What kind of dog is he?

He will lose (he already has) but the cost to good, innocent people will be so high. I just am not sure how the world sits by and tolerates this. I get the fears but I don't believe they (Putin and his top guys) want to die anymore than we do. But it doesn't matter what I think. All I know is something needs to be done to stop the killing. :( If Putin gets away with this he will do more........................ :( Sorry for the rant. I don't believe in hate since it eats a person up but for the first time in a while I feel pure hate towards that devil and the people doing his dirty work.

I want (need) to hear more about Baloo.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same. He's an odd one. Well, I can't blame them too much. Sometimes I get tired of his giant nose in my face too. Lol. I would imagine it can be intimidating to have a giant just walk up into your space and get in your face like that. I don't really like it when people tower over me either. None of them are really used to such a big animal or one that's so in-your-face. The cats in particular have handled it way better than I expected. Yes, he is getting better. I should still get a trainer to help me, but it's so expensive and it's hard to know if they're good.

I think they send out a request for an update for several animals at one time, so they might be waiting to ask until there's a few to send out. I don't know why I haven't mentioned Baloo yet... I guess our connection was kind of sudden. It was weird. The first lady who adopted him didn't seem to know what she wanted from a dog. A lot of "maybe this" and "maybe that". She met several dogs. None really fit what she thought she might do. She took him, decided she wasn't ready for a dog, and brought him back. His next meet was a young couple. I thought they'd work. They had sort of the same energy as him. Kind of weird, quirky, but not in a bad way. They seemed nice and sounding understanding of his fear issues, but he actually did fairly well with them, so I guess they underestimated his issues. I think I heard they lived on a busy road and the traffic was scaring him. I don't know anything about the newest person/people though... I don't really know what he is. We have his mom as well. Her name is Brindy. Another of my favorite dogs. She doesn't look anything like him though. Like half his size. Beautiful brindle pit mix with blue eyes. Another timid dog that takes some time, but super sweet once she gets to know you. Baloo is a tall, light yellow-y color with brown eyes. A bit shepherd-y, but then definitely not all shepherd (well, his mom is more a pit-type, so definitely not all shepherd!).

Indeed, far too high. I do understand the fear and trying to avoid another world war. I definitely don't want to live through that myself and there are others who'd be more affected by it than me. But at the same time, I agree, we can't just sit by and watch. People who seek power don't stop once they have it. They just keep searching out more. If he gets his way now, he won't stop. No need to apologize. I think I've had my fair share of rants. I agree with you.

I'm happy to oblige. I love Baloo. And his mom. I'll find pictures of them.