Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's just a quirky cat with a weird peeing habit. There's another cat in that room who peed standing straight up and the arc of pee just went right over the litterbox and onto the floor... Stood there and watched the whole thing. Then cleaned up the puddle on the floor. I don't know how we ended up with so many cats who don't pee normally.

I don't think they'd be too difficult to clean. The animals should always come first and it's not like we'd need to use them very often. Just in situations like this.

Agreed. :doh:

She's too good of a dog. She'd be good for someone who wants to get into sports or something, but unfortunately there's not many of those people. If I didn't already have Osiris, I'd probably be tempted to adopt her myself.

Yep, same. Especially the truly solid black ones. There's not as many of them as there are black ones with some white. They are pretty common though. We've had entire litters of black kittens. I need to get myself a black cat. ;) There's a couple I really like at the shelter. Inky has absolutely stunning deep orange eyes. She's a beautiful cat. I thought she'd get adopted fairly quickly once she opened up since she was scared at first, but she's still there.

No, not Dan at all. He's a good boy. Very sweet, affectionate, playful, does just fine with other cats. He just needs time. He really has come such a long way from the scared little kitten that was found in the dumpster.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What habit do you think it is?

Do you think the other cat was marking? Or was the cat trying to go in the litter box? Sometimes they feel confined and do that, sometimes there is discomfort. Could be a lot of reasons. Do you have an idea what it might be?

:/ Agreed but sometimes it gets really complicated.

:( Yep :(

:/ Yes. I knew you would be the perfect person if you had room.

Awwwwwwwwww. :) Yes. A lot have a touch of white. Awwwwwwww, but not yet. ;) But agreed!!! Some day you need one!! Awwwww, Inky!!!! LOVE HER without even seeing her!!!! :)

Yep, not Dan. :/ So great he is doing well. Dan is going to make someone or a family very happy!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, 'habit' probably isn't the right word. Just a quirk that she pees too high up. I don't know why on earth her owners had to give her up though because it's not like she's peeing all over the place.

No, she was going in the box. Just not squatting. It was a very large, low-sided box (not one I'd put in there), so couldn't get any more open without being completely flat. I don't know what that was about. I haven't seen that happen before. She does have some scarring on one of her eyes from a previous issue and now has conjunctivitis, so I don't know, maybe not feeling great?

I feel like people make things more complicated than they need to be.

I'll be honest, I didn't care too much for Ivy for a while. Not that I had anything against her. She was just one of those crazy dogs that was always acting nuts and her way of interacting with people was throwing herself at them. It wasn't until I started working with her that I began liking her. The jumping was still a bit obnoxious, of course, but you could tell she wanted to be good.

Yes. Though Fabio wore his white adorably. Loved his little face. I do. I've had a couple in the past, but it's been a while. Ember's mom would've been the last black cat I had, actually. Now Ember is the closest to it. I will find pictures of Inky. I know I have some. She's beautiful.

He will. Anyone who can take the time to earn his trust and love will be lucky to have him.

The shelter managed to get all the dogs into temporary fosters for our oh-so-terrible storm that, so far, has been pretty disappointing. It started late, was mostly rain, and now mostly ice. Not much snow. Everyone made a huge deal out of it and now we aren't going to get much of anything. Lol. Pretty impressive they got so many dogs into fosters so quickly though. No one told me we were doing that. Guess I didn't need another dog in here anyway.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inky:

IMG_1922.jpg
IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg
IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2364.jpg

Might've gone a little overboard with the pictures.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!! INKY!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!! I am in LOVE!!!!!

No, that was NOT overboard!!!

Yes, some do. :/ Yes, puppy pads can make the situation tolerable. :/

Yes, some cats do that. They are in the box but do not squat correctly. Maybe leg problems. And low sides do not help. But HARD to find high sided large boxes. I don't know if you can use the Steralite storage boxes, cutting out a side, etc. Oh, poor thing. Hopefully the vet helps to clear it up.

Yes. I probably should have said busy, distracted. I know sometimes I know I need to do something but there is always something else that needs to be done asap. :/

Interesting. I can see that. Really good you have warmed up to her.

Awwwwwwwwwww.

AGREED!!! :)

Oh my. You had a big storm? Good the dogs are safe. Ughhhhhhhhh, ice is not good. Hope there wasn't flooding. It is really impressive they could find fosters. Stay safe!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't she? I love her. She took a while to feel comfortable at the shelter, but it was more about the environment and the other cats than people. She took pets pretty early on and for a while that was pretty much all she'd come out for. Now she lays in the sink a lot.

No, we made a note to give them tall boxes. It seems like the taller the box, the less floor space it has though. Possibly. Could probably get one donated, just a matter of someone cutting it open. I actually have one, but am afraid the hole would be too low since it was made as a house rather than a litterbox. She's on meds for the conjunctivitis. I think the scarring in permanent.

I think we could manage though. We're cleaning litterboxes every day no matter what. It's just a little extra, but we're actually a bit low (knock on wood) on cats at the moment. It would be easier than cleaning up pee off the floor all the time.

I don't mind a high energy dog if you can focus that energy, but a lot of our high energy dogs have no focus and weren't taught any focus, so it can be hard to know if you can or not. Ivy was one that could, but she just needed the guidance which no one had given her.

Well, big for us. It rained first, which froze, then it was sleet, and then snow. It's more snow than we've had in a long time. Since I was a kid, probably. Yesterday it was mostly ice with a thin layer of snow, so you'd go outside expecting snow just to hit ice. Osiris was sliding all over the place while running around. It wasn't as bad as everyone was making it out to be though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS!!!!! :) That is not surprising, cats do not like change. They take time in a house as well. :/ SO SWEET!!!! Someone is going to be very lucky to be with her!!!

Great. Yes, they could be. The key I think is to have it tall and wide/big. Yeah, cutting it open properly. And I don't know how it could handle the litter, etc and how easy to clean it would be etc. Good on the meds. Yes, the scarring. I didn't see the scarring on the pic. She is beautiful!!!

Yes. Oh good, I like that you are low right now. Sadly that will change. :(

Yes. A lot of high energy dogs weren't taught focus. :( Oh Ivy. :) I love her too. :/ She will be fine.

Oh my, that is scary. Yes, Osiris probably never experienced that before. Oh my, be safe walking and driving. I wouldn't be able to go out if it was like that. :( Too dangerous.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really is. I've never seen another cat with eyes like hers. I don't do a ton of editing to my shelter pictures and I leave the eye color the same though I might make it a bit more saturated. I really didn't have to do much of anything to hers though. They were already so intense.

Well, it would probably be a pain to clean, but oh well! It's a pain to clean urine off the walls and floors too. And if we can find a way of fixing this issue then it'll be easier to get these cats adopted and it won't be our problem anymore.

Yes, it will, but for now we don't have too many. I think we've gotten a few more since I haven't been there. I was supposed to work today, but couldn't get the car out.

Yes, it's a common issue. I've noticed the GSDs we get are usually a bit neurotic and all over the place.

Osiris has had a blast. He loves it. We did have a comparable snow last year, but I don't think it was quite as much and this looks like it'll be lasting a bit longer. We haven't really gone anywhere except I went to the park yesterday with Osiris. I'll post pictures.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY!!! He is getting even MORE GORGEOUS!!!! WOW!!!!

:) GORGEOUS!!!! She is GORGEOUS!!!

Well I am wondering if the scent would stick on it (as it might not be treated or too porous etc). Agreed though!!!

:/ Yes Oh wow, not good you couldn't get your car out. :/ It must be pretty bad there. :( BE SAFE!!!

Yes. Some GSs are so not surprising they end up at the shelter. :(

Awwwwwwwwww. He looks SO GORGEOUS!!! WOW!!! He is basically my dream dog!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks absolutely stunning in the snow. The pictures don't even do him justice because I took them with my phone and they aren't great. I want to get pics with my camera, but I'm afraid of getting it wet. I need a waterproof cover for it.

She's great. One of my favorite cats. She has a brother too. His eyes are more yellow, but he's super friendly. Similar personality, but more of a lap cat. He scratched up my stomach because he wanted to be a shoulder cat and fell.

Maybe. My aunt used one for her cats, but she scooped it out every time she noticed something in it.

We just got it unstuck. I wouldn't say it's that terrible. Not like living in Maine or something anyway. But we only have street parking, so the plow trucks come through and basically just pile the snow up next to our cars which means more snow to shovel and it's hard to shovel around the whole car. And we get a lot of snow drifts in our yard. There's less snow at the park than in our yard. We'll be alright. The roads are pretty much clear. It's just the snow on the sides of the road where we live because of the street parking.

Well, I think some of them become neurotic because they aren't given a job or worked with at all too. They might be better if they were taught and given something to do.

He is a pretty boy. I really want to get better pictures of him in the snow, but I've been too nervous. He had fun chasing birds too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AGREED!!! AMAZING the pictures don't do him justice. Yes, don't ruin your camera. Those pictures were FANTASTIC!!! He is just GORGEOUS!!!

Awwwwwwww. Not surprising but so adorable!!!! Awww, the brother. Too adorable!!!

Interesting. Maybe it could work then.

Oh good. That is rude of the plow trucks. :/ At least you know how to handle it. And you have a good attitude. Just be safe, it sounds like a challenge. :/

Yes :/ Agreed.

He is ABSOLUTELY STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!!! Oh my, I seriously am in love!!! He is my picture of perfection. Awwwww, of course chasing birds!!!! :) He is no longer "awkward puppy". He is so GS looking. PERFECTION!!!! :) LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE!!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to take pictures of a black dog against a white background even with a good camera. They both come with their own challenges. He is such a pretty dog though.

Inky was adopted. :) Her brother was taken to foster, but I don't really know why. Inky's adopter was actually interested in him, but couldn't meet him due to the fact that he wasn't there. While I'm happy for Inky, I don't think it's right that someone couldn't meet the animal they were interested in.

Well, I don't think the plow trucks have much of a choice. It's that or don't plow the road. I would definitely like to have a garage though.

Unfortunately, while we've had a number of adoptions, we've been having a lot of returns too. We got a dog back that was adopted last July because she bit their kid twice (didn't break skin) and two dogs that were just adopted yesterday have been returned today. :doh: It's getting ridiculous. We're also getting nine new dogs tomorrow. On the bright side, we have three cats going home together on Thursday!

I know, he's a good-looking dog. Very pretty. The snow suits him well. Unfortunately, it's mostly gone now! Oh, he's still a bit awkward.

20220203_145550 (2).jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you sure don't make it look difficult!!! Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Awwwwwwwww. Oh, so they were interested in the brother rather than Inky? Or in both of them? Interesting the brother is in foster. Did he have any issues? I don't remember him having any.

Oh. Can't they push it to somewhere were there are no cars? Yes on the garage but then they would block the access to the street anyway. :/ Can't win it seems. Better not to have snow. ;)

Wow. Arghhhhhhhhhh. If the dog is not breaking the skin............................ Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 2 dogs returned the next day?????? ARGHHHHHHHHHH Oh my, 9 new dogs. :/ GREAT 3 cats are going home!!! :)

REALLY GREAT LOOKING!!!! Wow that new picture!!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!! THE VIDEOS!!!!! Is he GORGEOUS and ADORABLE or what?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Look at how gorgeous on the biting snow and getting the toy???? I mean serious, is that not the most adorable?!?!?!?!?!?!!

I only have one issue with the videos. :( They are too short!!!!! ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely like to see some more details of his face as he's a bit of a black blob, but they turned out well enough for the time being.

They were interested in Snoopy and a few other cats, but unfortunately the others were exposed to FelV and we're waiting to test them. So the person wasn't able to meet any of the cats they were interested in. The foster is the volunteer I've talked about a bit before who works with the cats and thinks she knows everything. She says he was dealing with heat exhaustion in the room and was stressed. The rooms have been quite hot, yes, but I haven't seen any signs of them suffering from heat exhaustion and we have cats with more fur than him. One of the rooms is quite a bit worse than the others too and it's not the one he was in. He was acting fine, coming out for attention, etc. So apparently, they moved him to a condo which I'm sure would stress him out, but I don't see how taking him somewhere else completely is less stressful. And he's going to have to come back at some point to get adopted. So more stress there.

I think the snow builds up too much so they lose a lot of it as they drive by. The clear it off, they'd have to go back and forth and risk getting close to our cars. Plus, they just don't take care of small roads as much as larger roads. Don't let Osiris hear you talk about no snow. We love the snow. Just need a better set up for it. I think a driveway would be better because you can use an electric snow blower and go up and down the driveway. Better than trying to shovel around a car and enough space in front of/behind the car to get in and out.

I can understand not being comfortable with a dog biting a young child, but it definitely doesn't sound like a terrible situation. Probably needed to control the child more. She's been a bit weird with other dogs though. When she was here before she was a very happy-go-lucky, love-everybody sort of dog though she was still quite young. Yes, the returns are absurd. I'm getting really tired of seeing them be brought back and it honestly makes me want to leave. I hope the three cats stay in their home when they go, but we've not had great results when adopting out multiple cats to one home.

His face in the picture is great. :lol: He's a pretty dog, but he's still a dork. He's funny.

I have more. ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Osiris had to find the one spot in the park that still had a decent amount of snow today and basically just ran around in this little stretch of snow.

And one of Stella because she deserves attention too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely like to see some more details of his face as he's a bit of a black blob, but they turned out well enough for the time being.

They were interested in Snoopy and a few other cats, but unfortunately the others were exposed to FelV and we're waiting to test them. So the person wasn't able to meet any of the cats they were interested in. The foster is the volunteer I've talked about a bit before who works with the cats and thinks she knows everything. She says he was dealing with heat exhaustion in the room and was stressed. The rooms have been quite hot, yes, but I haven't seen any signs of them suffering from heat exhaustion and we have cats with more fur than him. One of the rooms is quite a bit worse than the others too and it's not the one he was in. He was acting fine, coming out for attention, etc. So apparently, they moved him to a condo which I'm sure would stress him out, but I don't see how taking him somewhere else completely is less stressful. And he's going to have to come back at some point to get adopted. So more stress there.

I think the snow builds up too much so they lose a lot of it as they drive by. The clear it off, they'd have to go back and forth and risk getting close to our cars. Plus, they just don't take care of small roads as much as larger roads. Don't let Osiris hear you talk about no snow. We love the snow. Just need a better set up for it. I think a driveway would be better because you can use an electric snow blower and go up and down the driveway. Better than trying to shovel around a car and enough space in front of/behind the car to get in and out.

I can understand not being comfortable with a dog biting a young child, but it definitely doesn't sound like a terrible situation. Probably needed to control the child more. She's been a bit weird with other dogs though. When she was here before she was a very happy-go-lucky, love-everybody sort of dog though she was still quite young. Yes, the returns are absurd. I'm getting really tired of seeing them be brought back and it honestly makes me want to leave. I hope the three cats stay in their home when they go, but we've not had great results when adopting out multiple cats to one home.

His face in the picture is great. :lol: He's a pretty dog, but he's still a dork. He's funny.

I have more. ;)
Hmmmmm. My eyesight is not so good anymore and my computer screen is not good but he sure looked good to me (no blob). I thought they ere great. He is GORGEOUS!!!

Ahhhh. I hope they test negative. Oh I hope the adoption goes well. Hmmmmm, yes. :( Well, hopefully it was a learning experience for the volunteer. I do agree with you on everything.

Well that makes sense. :/ I guess it is difficult. :( Awwwww, he loves it. Ok, well, snow that melts when you want to use the car then!!!! I see what you mean about it being easier then.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. :(

OH MY GOODNESS!!! LOOK AT HIM!!!!!!!!! I LOVE!!!!! How ADORABLE!!! He LOVES snow!!!! Amazing.

Awwww, Stella. She is a cutie. Funny she looks bigger on the video.

I love them both!!!

Oh, and Si sure looks good to me, not awkward at all. And with snow on his nose............................ :)

THANKS for making me smile and my heart pump more!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones where he was holding still or not moving much turned out fine, but there's definitely some details missing when he was running and playing.

Me too. I doubt she learned much of anything to be honest.

It is. I love the snow too, so wouldn't want to not ever have it, but I'd like to be in a better set up for sure. If nothing else, the windshield wouldn't be frozen over if it was in a garage.

Osiris does love the snow. He still looks for any little patches of snow or ice, but unfortunately there's not really enough to play in. He could play all day long in this cold weather. We got warm for a couple of days and he didn't appreciate it. Preferred the weather today when it felt like ten degrees. Lol.

She's adorable. She doesn't come off as a small dog in a lot of ways, but she is quite small.

You should've seen him slide across the ice... He's funny because his first instinct when he sees ice is to walk on it and even when he's sliding around, he just keeps going instead of trying to get off. He's a funny dog. A bit dorky at times.

Thanks for giving me a reason to share!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhh, yes, that makes sense

Agreed and :(

Oh, well that is good you like it. Yes. If only it would only go where a person would want it. :/

Too funny!!!! Yes, he does not like the heat. :/ You'll have to get a snow machine for the backyard!!!!! ;)

She really is. I totally agree. I am surprised she is as small as she is but she sure doesn't look it in solo pictures.

Awwwwww ADORABLE!!!!!

Hehehehe, THANKS for giving me a reason to smile and feel happy!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, apparently Snoopy, Inky's brother, did get adopted. I'm surprised he was adopted from foster. I wonder how that worked.

I love it. It's so pretty and peaceful and it's something different. Gives us different things to do. It's less stressful taking Osiris out in it too. All the poop is covered up so he can't eat it and most people don't get out in it. It definitely has its cons. I don't want snow constantly, but sometimes it's fun.

No he doesn't. It was almost 40 degrees when we went out today. He found a patch of ice and laid on it. When we came home he laid down flat on his side and didn't move for a few minutes.

She's a sturdy little dog. Not delicately built like a lot of them.

We got Osiris's DNA test results! We were surprised. His breed results came up at 85% German Shepherd and 15% unresolved. The 15% is basically too mixed to really tell, but they said their best guess is Alaskan malamute, American pit bull terrier, and American Staffordshire terrier. We also found out he has a close relative that's likely a sibling who lives nearby and his results were ~74% GSD and ~25% American pit bull Terrier. So he does, in fact, have pit in him. Probably the most surprising discovery is that he is very inbred! He has an inbreeding coefficient of 45%. The average for a purebred dog is ~20% and the average for a mix breed is 5%. I think that pretty much confirms that he's from a backyard breeder. I don't think it would even be possible for random-bred dogs to be that inbred.