Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's alright. I always have things to be doing anyway.

We did hire someone. They start the 26th. We still need someone else though!

No, definitely not mean. Obnoxious though. We have a 6 month old at the shelter who's like that too. Really rough player and loves everyone, but she tends to lock onto one dog in play groups and not leave them alone even when they're growling and baring teeth.

Apparently. I haven't seen it. He will go after dogs that don't give him his space, but he's good with other dogs for the most part and is good with the staff members and our main volunteers. He was found as stray. I think he's mostly just a very insecure, very anxious dog. When we first got him, he'd put on the brakes whenever going through a door and wouldn't walk on the lobby floor for a long time. But I did hear that the board approved of the trainers' plan and they're starting at the shelter this Sunday. I don't really know how it's going to work though. They're only going to be there two days a week. 5-7 on Sundays and 12-4 on Thursdays and we're doing group classes and they're supposed to help our harder dogs. But I don't know when I'll get to work with them because I think I'm on the schedule for Friday-Sunday mornings which means I'd miss them. :ohwell:

I don't think so. He thinks he knows more than everyone else and that's not an easy problem to fix. Ah, yeah. Computers can be a pain, but they do a lot of good too. Everything comes with a cost, I suppose. Yes, still definitely nervous, but not so afraid of messing something up. I didn't want to rush through things because it was last minute and then mess something up.

Well, we got 5 more dogs. 5 puppies too, but they went to foster. One of the adults (actually an older pup) went to foster the other day. I think one other is supposed to go to foster as well. Two littles ones, a black & white pittie, a white and gray pittie with blue eyes who is super scared, and a solid black GSD. Yes, that's right, we got a solid black GSD. So now I have to tell myself all the reasons I don't want to adopt her. She is very sweet too.

Ah, that sucks. I hope the issue is resolved and you guys are okay. Don't worry too much about responding. I love our talks, but I am okay and can manage a little while if you can't respond or need a break.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I wish these things were easier. I don't understand why there has to be updates and antivirus software etc. Very frustrating.

YES!!! Halfway there!!! ;)

Hahahaha, well, I had one dog that I GUARANTEE was 100x as obnoxious!! He is a sweetie though. Awwwwwww, the 6 mo old. Too funny. Yep, some dogs are just not that aware. :/

Poor Caleb. :/ Sounds like he is pretty good most of the time AND when he finds a home he should be fine in an only dog home. GREAT on the trainer's plan!!! Bummer you aren't going to be there when they are. :(

:( Hahahaha, yep. But does he actually know more than everybody else? Some people do and they know it. Of course, when they don't know it being humbled happens at some point and can be a wakeup call. Too bad you can't help him now. Do you "like" him? ;) Yep. I just wish they could be easier. :/ But you are right all good things take effort. I LOVE this site and the people I meet. I miss going to houses to help animals so this is the next best thing. Well, a little nerves are ok. I am glad you are not worried about "messing" something up. Exactly, it is always good to take your time on important things BUT not to overthink them either. I know you will be fine though. :)

Wow. Good there are fosters for most. Awwwwww. Poor scared pittie. :( OHHHHHHHHHH, a BLACK GS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! OH MY!!!! Ughhhhhhhh, yep, there are a lot of reasons like............................. ;) Oh my, she sounds like my dream!!! I am envious!!!! Ohhhhhh, now all I can think of is a black GS....................................... :/

:( Yeah. But is is life. Getting old is not so good. :( Oh, I know you are ok and don't need me. I never need a break from you!!! It would only happen if the computer is not working or something else happened. NOT because I need or a break or don't want to etc. Our talks give me so much joy and happiness and I look forward to them BUT never feel pressure on account of me. I know you are so busy so I only want you to post when you can and never feel like you have too!! Only when you want to. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I need to update my antivirus. And I hate the updates. Usually I don't even notice any changes, but every now and then they change something on me.

Yep. Finally.

You're awfully confident about that. Osiris can be pretty obnoxious when he wants to be. He tried to kill me today. Running around at the park like a maniac and he ran into my legs. He usually runs at me and then veers off at the last moment. Today he changed his mind which direction he wanted to go slammed into my legs. Hurt himself and me, but more me. Something hard (elbow? shoulder? not sure) jabbed into the front of my calf and it swelled up.

He's a great dog when he trusts you. Honestly, the dogs are less of a problem than people. He'd fine with another dog that respected him. He's going to need someone with a lot of dog experience and someone that experienced can probably handle him with another dog. I wouldn't trust him with little animals just because of the size difference, but ultimately he is good with other dogs and likes to play with them. I don't know how or when or if he'll get adopted. He's one that worries me about possibly declining in the shelter to the point that he bites someone and ends up being euthanized like the dog who bit me. So far he seems to have actually gained confidence except when it comes to meeting new people. Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it works with the trainers. If I get to see it, anyway.

Er, no. He knows a lot about the things he knows about, but he also knows a lot of fake information and probably makes stuff up based on his own beliefs. He's one of those types who refuses to go to a doctor, thinks they learn false info meant to sell their business/meds in school, doesn't believe in global warming, etc. And the person is my dad. I've spent my life listening to his lectures about anything and everything. Well, things get easier all the time. And others get more complicated. I love this site too. So much good information and good people too. I'm sure people appreciate your help. I know you've helped me. Just keep me sane is helpful. Lol.

Lot of dogs going to foster. By Monday, three of the five new ones should be in foster and another of our other dogs is going to foster. Also trying to get a foster for another dog who hasn't been doing well in the shelter lately. His name in McLovin', but he's not living up to his name right now. He's a fun, happy guy for the most part, but has fought two dogs who were humping him. It's nearly impossible to get him off of them too. I was there both times. Last time, the other staff member who was there with me grabbed his collar and ended up getting bit on the leg. Not a bad bite, no blood, but did break skin. And he's been starting fights through the fence during play groups. Well, the black GSD is a bit drool-y. Why don't you come adopt her so that way I don't have to fight it? She seems like a good, sweet, active GSD who needs some work on focus and manners, but no major issues so far.

I didn't say I don't need you. I can just go a little while without talking if it came down to it. You've been a big help! Not just with helping me with problems with the animals, but just making me feel more sane and letting me talk and reassuring me I'm not messing everything up. Sometimes I think I might be crazy for making some of the decisions I make, but you always make me feel better about myself and my decisions.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ughhhhhhhh. I hope it goes well for you. We have Norton and it is really frustrating. :/

Hahahaha, yes!!!

Because I am being conservative on 100 times. Probably more like 1000 times. ;) Ughhhhhhh, Osiris. Sometimes they make a mistake. Mine was so bad often she would jump onto you (she was about 80lbs) full leap etc. Would knock us over which is really dangerous. Sometimes take out a leg like Osiris did, etc. I hope you are ok now (and Osiris). Ughhhhhhh. Mine was still much more obnoxious and she would only listen when she wanted to. :/ VERY independent and smart. :( I could tell you so many stories......................

Awwwwwwww. Well, all he needs is one person or family. Yes, that is always the risk. I hope he finds the right person/family. He just needs to trust them and if it is someone like you r me that would work. Great he is gaining confidence. Will be interesting with the trainers, I hope you can see them.

:/ Yes, that is more common than you think. The key is to find things you agree on and also agree to disagree. And try to help as much as you can diplomatically. And appreciate the things you can share and try not to hold certain things against them. We all have people like that in our lives. But sometimes opposites make us think (both ways). Hopefully he comes around. Especially the doctor, global warming isn't as important since only collectively we can make a difference while one person really can't. Do true on easier, more complicated, the site, the people. Thank you so much, I hope so. That really means a lot to me. :)

Wow, that is great. Foster is so much better, great they have them. Awwwww, McLovin'. Well, I wouldn't be too happy with strangers doing that to me either. My obnoxious girl was kinda like that. If a dog walked by and was fine she was fine but if a dog barked, or looked at her funny it was "game on". :( He must be feeling insecure if he is otherwise pretty good. It is stressful. BUT he probably needs the right home as well. :/ But that is usually why they are in the shelter. :( Awwwwww, don't temp me. She is my dream dog. :(

Oh no, I know. Well, you don't really need me, it is probably more nice to have (if that makes sense). Wow, you made my day. You have no idea how wonderful that makes me feel. I am so glad to hear that maybe I can help a little. Well, you are sane AND make great decisions. You are incredibly intelligent and mature. No one can always make the "right" decisions BUT the key is if it isn't the best to make a course correction. I don't se you "messing anything up". But I hope you ask if you ever think you might. All your decisions seem well thought out. I wish I was as intelligent and mature as you are. I only really came into it in my 40s. You are WAY AHEAD of the vast majority of people I not only think you are a wonderful person but are doing all the right things. I think you can succeed in anything you choose to do.

We did the microsoft update last night and the computer is working so let's hope............................. We do think maybe the Norton is what is causing us trouble but we don't know enough about all this stuff. Fingers crossed!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually use Avast, but my dad bought me this laptop as a present and also got a different software called Esset which lasted 3 years and just expired. It seemed to work well.

Haha. Osiris is a pretty easy-going dog for the most part. I've done nothing with him so far today and he's just sleeping on the couch, so I can't complain too much. It's just that in the ways he is a pain, he's a very big pain. He's an all-or-nothing sort of dog. He doesn't really jump on you (will put his front paws on you, but not 'jump' in the literal sense of the word), but McLovin' is a big jumper. He'll take a flying leap directly at your head (and he can jump high enough to reach it). He's gotten better about it, but still pretty bad. Sometimes he runs at you from behind so you don't even know he's there until he's slamming into your back.

Caleb did have a meet and did fine. They seemed to like him, but haven't heard anything about them adopting him. My manager thinks the guy is too indecisive and won't end up choosing any of them. He's a good boy. Not a difficult dog to have in the shelter, so not the worst one to be stuck with, but I do worry about his mental health. So far he's doing well. He may be fine in the shelter for as long as he needs to be there.

He's not much for agreeing to disagree. As far as he's concerned, he's just right. I don't say much of importance to him because I've gotten tired of hearing his lectures. He's very good at twisting words around and making things about himself. He doesn't have to go to the doctor if he doesn't want too, but I've also heard about how crazy the idea of global warming is more than enough. I know you're a great help since you've already helped me, no need to doubt that.

Yeah, it's great. Makes things easier for us. McLovin' was definitely in the right to correct them, but he just does not stop and it's very difficult to get him off the other dog. And the fence fights are new. He's definitely the one starting those. The other dog doesn't even have to look at him. I think he needs out of the shelter one way or another. The problem is he's the worst dog we have about keeping his kennel clean. I'm not sure he goes outside at all. He always seems to go in his kennel. Otherwise he's a great dog. I'm going to tempt you because otherwise I'll tempt myself. The GSD has had some interest, so probably won't be there long. She seems like a great dog.

It's great to have! I've always enjoyed our conversations. I might not always get to respond, but it's wonderful to be able to talk to someone likeminded. It's really beyond just helping me with the animals, but helping me feel like there are other people like me out there. It's so rare for me to find someone who shares my interests. Well, I'll probably mess some things up in my life, but hopefully nothing too serious! I try to think things out, but I think sometimes I end up overthinking and confusing myself.

That's great. Yeah, some software are better than others. Can be frustrating trying to figure out what to use.

Oh, Kadence was adopted. These people adopted another kitten, named Anubis, and decided to get a playmate for him. They chose Kadence which was very mixed for me because I got quite attached to her. She was so much fun. Then they apparently adopted another of our kittens, named Asparagus, yesterday, but returned him within a few hours because all the cats were scared of each other. I don't know what they expected bringing in 3 older kittens within a few weeks of each other. Of course they're scared! So now I don't even know if I should be happy for Kadence that she has a home or worried for her. The manager had also offered for them to take Keanu for free when they adopted Kadence, but they apparently turned that offer down just to end up adopting another one.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting, I never heard of those, need to check them out. Thanks!!!!

He does seem to be. I know a lot of dogs like that. Yes, McLovin' is a bit naughty, needs training. Yep, I have gotten the bang in the jaw and the knock down from the back too many times. :( Great he is getting better though!!!

Wow, that is great. Well, if this family doesn't work it sounds like one in the future will. Fingers crossed he does well until that time.

Ahhhhhhhh, yes. Well, it does sound like you handle it well (or as best you can). Awwwwww thanks. :)

Yes. Poor McLovin'. :/ Not good he starts the fence fights. :( Oh my, not good he doesn't like to go outside. :( Only in the kennel. :( Great he is otherwise a good dog. Fingers crossed he finds the right home. Oh my.................. I wish. She is not going to be there long. Which is good. I am sure she is a great dog. Your instincts are really good.

Agreed, agreed!! Oh it is ok, I know you are very busy. Oh yes, there are many people like us out there. Everyone makes mistakes, the key is to try to limit them and then try to correct them or learn from them. I think you will do just fine. :) It is very common to overthink things are make it more difficult, etc. Imagine if we thought all about how to walk, or pour a glass of water, or anything we do without thinking. Of course, there are things we need to think about and figure out. So there is balance BUT you are aware and I know you will improve every year. Sometimes taking a step back and getting some distance in the thoughts can be helpful. And focusing on small tasks that lead to building and completing the big task. I know you will be just fine. :)

Yes and agreed. Especially when the person doesn't know much about computers. :(

Kadence!! I think that is great. Well they are kittens so they should get along. BUT it is strange they are so naïve. :/ But there heart is in the right place. Too bad they didn't take Keanu, that would have been good. Fingers crossed. Hopefully they find this site to help them if they need help.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised, Avast seems to be pretty popular. I know my high school used it and maybe my previous college. I'd never heard of Eset, but in my opinion, just based on what I see of it working, it seems better than Avast. It prevented more of the pop-up ads.

We took him to the dog park and Rural King today. He did fairly well, but did bark at a dog in Rural King and started to bark at a lady in the store too. He didn't get to play with dogs much at the park either. Yes, McLovin' could use some work. He could probably almost jump over my head if he tried... He can almost get over the guillotine in the kennels too.

I haven't heard anything about Caleb's potential adopters, so guessing they decided not to. It's a shame. He really is a good dog when he trusts you. I hope he gets the home he deserves.

Everyone around him as had to learn to deal with him. His sisters are well aware of how he is.

Hopefully we'll be able to get him out, but I'm not sure if anyone wants a dog with such a problem with house training. It can be hard to find anyone to take those dogs. Though Brutis was just as bad as McLovin' and he got adopted... No, Poe, the GSD, had a meet the other day. The manager said it went well, but the lady had to talk to her boyfriend. Another staff member was worried about it though because the lady asked if Poe was aggressive and the staff member had tried to explain that we hadn't had any issues but that she should always be careful, introduce dogs slowly, keep food and toys picked up and separate, etc. which she apparently seemed to think meant Poe was aggressive. She's a great dog. Not bad on leash, had a harder time getting her to walk without jumping on me than anything, did get a bit excited about other dogs. Very, very licky. And she doesn't want to lick just anywhere, it has to be your face. She made me hit my head a few times by lurching towards my face to lick me. I sat in her kennel for a bit and when she wasn't trying to lick me, she was laying as much in my lap as she could get. Very sweet dog.

Unfortunately very busy. I've started college, so even more so now than before. I sure have a hard time finding the people like us. Even at this job, a lot of them love animals but aren't as committed to them, their care, etc. Not to make them sound bad, but I'm surprised how many people don't bother training their own dogs or taking them out of the house. Yes, I'm learning the balance and to break things done. I tend to get overwhelmed by 'larger tasks' and it does help to break them down.

Yeah, I'm really not familiar with different programs or software or the like. I know the basics about computers.

I always worry. I loved Kadence. She was such a fun, quirky, playful, affectionate cat. And I watched her grow up. She's not an adult yet, but she's changed a lot. I would've taken her home myself if I could. I didn't really want them to take Keanu just because they felt pressured to or because he was free though. Would've been nice if they were up to the task. All the cats would've been fine given time. Kadence is great with all the other cats. Many cats have been in and out of the room with her. Anubis was with his two littermates and Asparagus as well for a while. Asparagus could be a bit of a bully to start with, but he's a sweet, playful cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, don't be surprised, we are not computer people at all. Interesting. Does this site take real long to load and to get to threads etc for you? It is awful for me. :/

Awwwwwww. Too bad at the park. :/ No Bingo. :( Wow, he can jump. Guillotine?

:( Well, they must not have been the right ones then. :/ I hope so too.

Oh my.

Yes. :/ Awwwww. Well, maybe that is not the right home either? Awwwww, she sounds sweet. Yep, the old head hit........... Awwwwwwwwww. So sweet

Yes. :/ BUT we know you can handle it. Hahahaha, I did as well. :/ BUT they are out there. Yes, but with a lot of responsibilities it is hard for many people. Yes, you are learning and it is great you break the large task down and achieve step by step. I think it helps. I know you can handle it and keep learning how to handle it. :)

You know more than we do!!!

Yes, of course!!! So do I. Awwwwwww, you love Kadence. Totally agree on Keanu. Awwwww. Sounds like they all would be good.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avast was the only one I was familiar with before finding Eset on my laptop (I didn't even know what it was at first). The site certainly has its moments. Sometimes it is slow, but at the moment it seems okay.

No, haven't seen her in a while. Yes, guillotines are in all the kennels. It's just a divider than can be lifted up to give them access to the full kennel or put down to keep them in one half. We usually put it down to clean kennels or walk other dogs by, but he can almost get over it.

Poe's last meet didn't work out, but she had another family come in. They had a little dachsund. The first meet wasn't great. Not bad, but their little dog was intimidated and Poe wanted to play. A lot like Stella and Si except not as bad. I was honest with them, told them if they were looking for a friend for their dog then this might not be the right match, but they just wanted another dog for themselves then it could probably work. They opted to do a second meet to see if it went better, so they came back the next day. That meet went better. The dogs still weren't friends, but the little dog was less scared and Poe was taking cues better. So they adopted her. We had four dogs adopted, but one was brought back today. We also got two new dogs. And three puppies went to foster.

It's been a lot, already. Might not be able to respond often. I've just never considered exercising or working with my animals optional like so many people seem to. My dogs don't always get a ton of time and attention, but I make sure they get at least a little every day.

Probably not when it comes to the more advanced, technical stuff. That's very confusing.

Kadence was a great little cat. So, so much fun to be around. She'd come lay in my lap and then tuck her head down and flip herself over onto her back all while staying in my lap. They would've been fine given time though I'm not sure why the people kept adding more cats like that. Could've just adopted all three at the same time.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. We don't know much about this stuff. :/ Ok, maybe it is not just our computer.

:( I hope her mom is ok. Ahhhhh, ok, now I understand.

Oh my. I am surprised they took Poe. You did a good job being honest. BUT they loved her it seems. 4 adopted is great. Who came back and why? Wow. Good for the puppies.

Oh my but you can handle it. Ok, yes, I do not want to cause you stress. Just post anytime but don't feel obligated. Yes, agreed. My animals come first as well. But I do think we are in the minority. But as long as the animals have a good life then.................

Well, I guarantee you do even with that. :)

Awwwww, so cute and sweet. Agreed, totally agree. :/

Hang in there and do your best. Just focus and keep achieving and moving forward. You can handle it, you might doubt at times BUT you can handle it. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assure you, I really don't either. My dad is the computer expert (one thing he actually does know about). No, this site does have problems sometimes. If it's constant, then it might be your computer, but if you're having on and off issues then it's probably the site. There are times I can hardly use it though fortunately not often.

I hope so too. I'm not there too often, so I could be missing her, but I always came across her by accident before.

Well, I meant it when I said it could work if they just wanted another dog for themselves. It was overall better than where we were at with Si and Stella when we first got him. But they made it sound as if they wouldn't get a dog if their dog didn't approve and I wouldn't say she did, so I definitely think they let their own feelings about Poe make the final decision. Ivy came back. I don't think I've talked about her much. We've had her for a little while now. Came in super scared and shut down, but she's really come out of her shell. Started off not liking any dogs, but ended up loving them though did not do well with one dog. Still skittish with strangers though. Pretty high energy dog. She was scared of her adopter, but started warming up and he took her. I was worried because he had an elderly cat and Ivy was not cat-tested. All I know is apparently she was too high energy, which he was told and we gave him suggestions for dealing with that.

It's definitely a lot, but I think I'm doing alright this week. Unfortunately, I also think we're in the minority. It's hard to decide what a 'good life' is though. We can't exactly ask them and they might not know that it can be any better, but I'm not sure that makes it okay.

Thanks. I've already doubted, but I'm going to have to pull through. It is nice only having one class to worry about, but it's a fairly broad class so it covers a lot.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, you are too funny. :) Ahhhhh, good thing to be good at nowadays. Interesting. Well sometimes it is really slow or doesn't work and sometimes it is ok. Maybe it is not the computer then. On other sites it isn't as bad usually.

Hopefully it is just miss timing. :/ Osiris does love Bingo so would be nice one of these days........................

Oh, I know and that is great. We'll see how it goes but hopefulll she does well. Poe is pretty easy to fall for I am guessing. No, I don't know Ivy. What kind of dog? How old was the adopter? Yes, that can be a challenge for a cat. :/

Yes but great you are handling it. I am sure it will ebb and flow and sometimes it will get a bit busy BUT you can handle it. Yes. :/ Well, it is hard but you can usually tell if they are happy. We can let great be the enemy of perfect. :/ The best possible is pretty good.

We always have doubt but overcoming that helps us achieve more. Doubt weeds people out. Overcoming doubt leads to even better things. So we all have doubt, hopefully most of us can overcome it and achieve and find our true potential. I know you can overcome doubt AND any obstacles. I love you have the attitude that you will "pull through". You will. Yes, they can be broad but you can handle it if you put your mind to it. Just never give up and keep working hard, achieving and moving forward. :) You are capable of almost everything so keep trying to achieve as much as possible. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's how it is for me though it does work more often than not. But sometimes it gets really bad. Typically, if everything else is working and it's just one site having a problem, it's the site. If one site is having trouble, I always go try another. If that works, then I know it isn't on my end.

I hope so too.

Well, Poe is still gone. She was great. I'm not really sure how to describe Ivy. Maybe a little bit pointer-ish? Mostly black with white on the chest. Lanky dog. Not as tall as Osiris, but similar build to him. The adopter was a middle-aged man, a bit overweight. Not surprised she was too much for him especially with no fenced in yard, but a shame he didn't give it any time. She apparently went home (again) today though. Another of our harder dogs was adopted yesterday. One of our FeLV+ cats was also euthanized yesterday though. She was a sweet cat. Adopted twice and brought back, poor thing. And we have two brother cats who have been adopted and brought back twice in just over a week.

It's getting a little better, but yes, I'm sure there'll be changes. This is already week three of five, so I'll be getting close to the end soon! That's probably true.

Well, if my other option is a really bad option, I just remove it. I'm in this now, so I'm going to get through it. Right now, things are going wrong, but I have to remind myself that things tend to work out in the end even if it's not easy getting there.

We're having a hard time with the boys. I'm honestly afraid they're going to get themselves killed. Well, I've always worried about Frost's tendency to eat things he shouldn't (and now Osiris's too!). I think it's mostly Ash. He's gotten really bad about getting on the counters and this morning there was glass everywhere. They (he) knocked a glass off the counter and it broke. The glass was through the whole kitchen and into the dining room around Si's crate too. I don't know why he's so obsessed with looking for food. He's the only one of the cats not underweight! My mom was putting them in the storage room overnight because of them getting into everything, but they got in a fight one night. No blood, but tons of fur. I've never seen them lose that much fur outside of me brushing them. So I don't know what to do. I'm out of ideas. I really don't want all three cats in my room at night. Ember is already sleeping in there. She doesn't always like Ash, Frost doesn't usually like Ember and I'm afraid there'll just be more fights.

Oh, and Osiris gave us a scare. We had to go somewhere and he was in the kennel as always when we leave. Came back to find a towel that was on top of his kennel. Have no idea how he got it. Then he threw up the next morning and there was a bunch of red and pink-ish strings. At first we thought it was bloody because the towel was grey, but we figured out there was actually a hand towel up there as well. Fortunately, it had already been torn so it wasn't the whole towel, but probably 1/2-2/3 of it was left and he ate the whole thing. I think we're in the clear though. He seemed to have thrown it all up. :doh:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. That does make sense. Today I am having issues with it. :/

Yes. Fingers crossed.

Awwwwwwwww. Oh wow. Ivy sounds gorgeous. She went to a new home already? Oh I hope it works. Ughhhhhhh. Sad. Why was she brought back twice? Any idea? So sad. Ughhhhh, the two brothers. Twice.................. :(

That is great!!!

That is good. I think that is a good idea, just keep moving forward. Things are going wrong now? I agree, if you keep trying and do your best things get better, maybe not perfect but better is good enough. Hang in there. You will get through anything.

Oh my. Well, taking territory away (putting them in a closed room) will usually cause issues. :/ BUT I understand the desire not to have broken things. What I do is put everything away, close the cabinets (ours close really nicely). Yeah, I wouldn't have them all in your room (same issue of territory). Your mom sounds stressed. Probably not the cats but they don't help. :/ You can put out sticky tape at night or those air blowers on the counters. He should stop fairly soon with those.

Ughhhhhhhhhh. "( Oh my. One of the cats might have pulled it over there? At least he is ok now. Whew.

Wow, you are going through a lot. Try those things i mentioned and hopefully it stops him from going on the counters. And hopefully that removes some of the stress your mom is feeling. Hang in there and try not to get upset, escalate, etc. Jut be calm and try to address the issues best you can.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too. It's been a bit slow. Facebook hasn't been working at all today.

Ivy is a good dog, but she is a lot. I was working with her for a few days. Very smart, treat-motivated dog. She'd be a good sport dog. Could probably do just about anything. But yes, she went home. As for Faith, first time was due to her dripping urine and the lady apparently kept trying to bring a 'sample' in a sponge which she was told she couldn't do, so she just surrendered her instead. Second time was for biting the owner hard enough to draw blood when the lady picked her up which is weird because she never bit anyone at the shelter as far as I'm aware. The director really liked her and I saw him pick her up a number of times. The brothers, Tippy and Toby, were brought back the first time in, I think, three days for being too skittish. The second time they were brought back the next day for being 'too much', whatever that means. They're super sweet, affectionate cats.

Well, some of what's gone wrong is written out below, but I'm also having trouble with loans and tuition. They have me all sorts of confused. It's a lot and it does all go fast with these short terms. I'm sure it'll be better after I've done a few terms, but it's definitely a change.

They've been fighting a bit lately though nothing that has resulted in that much fur loss. It's so weird seeing them fight. Ten years together and never any issues until recently. And they always find things to get into. We move one thing, they find something else. Our house is really small. Not many places to put things. It's impossible to clear the counters off completely. They figured out how to open up my lunchbox to get stuff out of there which is when they ended up knocking over the glass. I've put that on top of the fridge, but that's already overcrowded. We've tried all the typical ways of keeping cats off the counter. We're trying aluminum foil again and put double sided tape on it. Aluminum foil doesn't bother them, we've done that several times. The tape we've done too, but here's hoping it'll somehow work this time. The only thing that works is the Sscat air blower thing, but ours isn't working properly. It doesn't always go off. So we'd have to buy more and I think we need at least two because it's hard to angle it to cover all the counters. But we have done that in the past until it ran out. It works as long as it's on, but they'll keep trying periodically to check if it still happens. They're very persistent. They're up there during the day too. They'll do it with us right there. While we're cooking, when there's food out, after I've fed them...

I have no idea how he got, not one, but two towels into his kennel. They were on top of his kennel, but it's covered so he can't just pull stuff through the top. They must have been hanging over the edge, presumably because a cat, but then to get two! Seems like if he got one, the other would just fall to the floor where he couldn't get it. He definitely put a lot of effort into getting them and then eating them. I think he's okay. Realistically, I know I should've taken him to the vet, but I can't afford to keep paying emergency vet bills and of course it was over the holidays. I knew the signs to watch for.

It has been a lot. It just always has to be everything at once. As my manager said when all the animals at the shelter were getting sick, "If it's not one thing, it's all the things."

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Well, I guess it is not just me then. :/ Oh, I don't know facebook.

Awwwww, well, a lot of dogs are a lot. ;) BUT I know what you mean. She does sound good though. Wow. Good for her!!! Poor Faith. People always blame the animal but a lot of the time it is the human. :( Arghhhhhhhhhh The the brothers. Arghhhhhhhhhh. SO FRUSTRATING. I mean can it be both???? People have different expectations I guess. And people tend to be the issue. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes. Ughhhhhhh, yes, money issues. :( Hopefully you can navigate it and figure it out. Do you have someone to help you through it at the school? I would guess they should as it is confusing and I am sure others have the same issues. Hang in there.

Yes, it can happen. Could be animals outside, could be a lot of things. Weather, light changes, stress in house, etc. :/ Yep. Cats getting into stuff. :/ Yep, mine are ALWAYS getting into stuff but that is what cats seem to be on earth for!!! Hunting and getting into stuff!! Ahhhhhh, that makes sense. Wow, they are smart too. Yep, aluminum foil can work, surprised the tape didn't, the air blowers are good. Yeah, I would get more of those. :/ Yep, my girl does. She'll jump up right in front of me. :( And I tell her "no" and she goes down but does it again another day. :/ Your cats are definitely confident and comfortable. Yes, mine don't care if they are full, they will still want what we have.

Yep, through the side then. :/ He is smart. Yes, they will put effort into it. :( Yes, you know when it is an issue and when it isn't.

Yes. I know. That is life sadly. Just don't panic, gather your thoughts, get a strategy to work through things, prioritize, etc. Accomplish something and move to the next. Add in the holidays and the stress just goes way up. But once you start getting some of this past you will get back on your feet and your stress will go down. Hang in there. You will get through it. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not just you. I don't know what happened to Facebook.

Of course, we get those sorts of dogs a lot, but not everyone can handle a lot of dog. And I feel like some dogs can be 'a lot' without being 'intense' if that makes any sense, but Ivy can be intense. Like I said, she'd probably be a good sport dog and those kinds of dogs have to have a certain intensity to them. Faith definitely went through a lot and it shouldn't have happened. Who surrenders an animal because the vet won't take a urine sample from a sponge?! She was really sweet. I don't know what's wrong people and I don't know how one person calls cats skittish and the next calls them too much. They do really well in the rooms. Very social, affectionate, always greets you when you go in the room, but they're always tucked away in some spot just hanging out when nothing is going on. Neither skittish nor too much, if you ask me.

I'm slowly working through it. They just automatically applied the loans even though I hadn't accepted them and I didn't realize they'd do that. My previous college didn't.

I know we have animals outside. There are cats everywhere. There were cats at our previous house too though they were less visible. Never any issues before. It's amazing you can go 10 years without issues and all of a sudden it's completely different... They didn't used to be this bad about getting into stuff either. Sure, they'd certainly do it, but it's become almost obsessive. Not just looking for scraps or licking any dishes out, but actively searching out food and doing anything necessary to get to it. We've done aluminum foil, double sided tape, carpet runners, vinegar... Pretty much everything we could think of. Those motion-detecting cans are the only things that phase them, but they sure don't stop them from trying. I think we've have to have them out for at least a year to have any chance of stopping the cats. And they definitely don't get down when told! Well, Ember will most times. Frost might on occasion get down when told, but usually he just hunkers down and waits for you to go get him. Ash will ignore you until you're almost to him and then try to make a run for it.

I don't know what we're going to do with him. We left today and I took literally everything off his kennel. We have a piece of cardboard with a sheet folded over it up there so we can set stuff there and the cats have a space on top. I took it all off. He tried pulling the blanket under the kennel in. Fortunately, was not successful and just tore a small hole in it. I don't know how he can grab anything through the bars when he's so big and the gaps between the bars are pretty small. He couldn't possibly fit his foot or muzzle through. I feel like we've been through enough of this eating stuff he shouldn't that I know when he's actually having problems because of it.

I'm working through it, slowly. I just can't let myself get overwhelmed. If I get overwhelmed, I get nothing done. Sometimes it better to take a few minutes to slow down and do something else than try to get everything done at once, which is what my brain automatically wants to do.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Today I am really having issues. The past hour or so. :/ Hmmmm, who knows, something. :/

Yes that makes sense. :/ Poor Ivy. Yes with Faith. I totally agree. There are sadly a lot of Faith's out there. :( Yes, I don't know what is wrong with people. They sound like good cats. I don't get it.

Oh my, good you are working through it.

:/ Yes. They can get that way (more persistent) as they get more confident, comfortable, etc. The air blowes are good. Wow, a year? I hope sooner. Yep, cats :/

Wow. Well you are doing everything you can. He is really too smart. :/ Yes, you are becoming good at it. :/

I can tell you are really stressed. :( Hang in there. Just keep trying to figure each issue out.

EXACTLY!!! Yes, overwhelmed can lead to paralysis. And nothing gets accomplished. Exactly. a step back, a pause, etc then try to get a small task done then progress. You sound like you have a great handle on it so I am confident you will handle it well. You are amazingly aware. That is such a great asset. You will be fine. :) Hang in there and keep trying to handle it well.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having trouble earlier, but it seems to be working now.

Ivy is a fun dog. I was wanting to take her on as a bit of a 'project' dog to work with. I wanted to get her out of the shelter and maybe set up my agility stuff to work with her, but I just don't have the time right now and, of course, she was adopted. I definitely feel bad for Faith. I might feel even worse for Harry though. He's now our only FeLV+ cat, so he's alone and he'd been with Faith pretty much since he came in. I'm not sure how much they interacted, but now he's alone and those cats don't get much attention because people are scared of taking it back to their own cats. The brothers are great. Super adorable, which is probably why they've been adopted twice, and very sweet. People are nuts.

Yep, getting there. It's all so confusing, but I'm hoping to put off needing loans for a little while.

They've had a lot of reinforcement for getting on the counters because they've gotten food up there, so it would take a lot to get them off, I'm sure.

He's going to kill himself and I can't afford to take him to the emergency vet twice a year. I'm going to try leaving him for shorter periods of time more often. My mom goes for a short walk on her lunch break, so I think I'm going to go out then too and watch him on the camera, but I work the next three days and won't be home at that time and won't be able to watch him.

It's been a lot. Frost has been weird too. The other day he was quiet when I was getting their food and acted like he didn't know where he got his food. I had to set him in front of it and he didn't finish. He doesn't seem as bad today, but still kind of quiet.

Well, I've made the same mistake enough times. Eventually you have to learn. It's a balance that I've struggled with though because I can get distracted and still not get stuff done. It's been a bit of trial and error.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting, maybe they fixed whatever it was. Now today I am having issues again but I am having issues with every site it seems today. :/ It is so frustrating.

Awwwwwwww. Well, I guess her being adopted is a good problem. Poor Faith. It breaks my heart. It is just not fair. :( Poor Harry. It is just so hard. Some animals just get the unfair luck (humans too). Awwwwwwww, the brothers. They should get adopted. Yes, people............................... :(

Good. Yes. Oh great, that would be terrific!!

:O Oh my

:/ Yes. That is a good idea. I hope he gets out of it.

:/ Yes. Sometimes it happens like that. Hmmmmmmm, glad he is better. Sometimes they just don't have an appetite, etc. Then time, weather changes. A lot of stuff can cause it. I hope they get over everything soon.

Well a lot of people don't learn. Struggling is not that bad if you are aware and try to improve. You are like most of us but a lot of us don't learn. Yes, trail and error is a great way to learn. You are going to be just fine. It is the people that aren't aware, not will to learn, try that we have to worry about. Hang in there, you will get through it and be better for it. :)