Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a day off because I worked a few extra hours last night after my morning shift. It's been hectic. We're short-handed as it is and people keep taking off.

Ash's Gabapentin finally got her (like, the day after I complained about it not getting here). Haven't really tested it yet because I wanted to give it plenty of time to kick in. No noticeable difference in his behavior though.

Chip got adopted! Cross your fingers he doesn't come back. Lucy, a jumpy but sweet cat I fell in love with, might be coming back to us because she's "too feral." :doh: She's not feral, just skittish. And Raja was brought back too. We also had two cats who were adopted out as kittens be brought back. I didn't know they even went together, but the dad is apparently allergic after having the cats for two months. Basically brought them back right after they lost the kitten appeal. I feel so bad, especially for Dwight because he had such a hard time getting adopted to begin with.

And we have a dog who started giving birth at the shelter today! We had no idea she was pregnant! We've had her for two weeks and I've been getting notifications on this new app we have for the shelter staff/volunteers that they found a puppy in her kennel with her.

No, not surprising that Layla got adopted. I do worry a little because it's a young guy who hasn't had a dog of his own before. His family has had dogs, but he personally hasn't had one. A husky is a lot of dog even for people who are experienced, let alone a husky who hasn't had any structure or boundaries for the first few months of her life. Plus he works ten hours. He did seem like a good guy with a lot of things thought through. He had a friend who does dog trainer. I don't think he's going to be a bad dog owner or anything, but I just hope he really knows what he's gotten himself into and doesn't bring her back in a month or two even worse than she already was. I worry about all my fosters getting the right home, but especially a breed as high maintenance as a husky. She can be a really great dog or an absolute nightmare depending on how she's raised. She was a terror though. Acted a lot like the eight week old puppies I fostered, but slept less. They'd pretty much play for an hour and then sleep for an hour. She played for three hours and slept for half an hour to an hour. She tormented Stella. Very easily distracted, got bored easily. On the move pretty much constantly. Osiris was obsessed with her. He wanted to play with her, but was too big and rough. He whined almost constantly because I wouldn't let him harass her. It was a lot. She was fun, but definitely not ready for a third dog, let alone a high-energy puppy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cool you got time off.

Well that is good!!! Usually a watched pot never boils. ;) Yes, it may take a few days. :/ Fingers crossed it helps.

Awwwww, Chip. Terrific!!! I hope he stays. Ughhhhhhh, poor Lucy. :( And Raja?????? AND the kittens??????? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH. PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness. :(

Well, he sounds pretty good. I am guessing her will be fine. I agree, it is easy to be worried about the new family/people for the pets. Hahahaha, yep, she sounds like a handful BUT that is how they often are. She sounds wonderful. Poor Osiris. :/ He loved her.

OHHHHHHHH, I forgot to tell you, we were watching a movie or something and they mentioned Osiris. I wish I could remember what show it was. Really cool. (If only I could remember the show though.............................). :(

Oh my, a lot going on. I hope the cats/kittens do well. I don't know, cats are not the problem, the people are in my opinion. I take in older really feral cats, intro them, etc. If I can do that other people can do well with cats like Lucy and Raja if they just put in a little thought and effort and love. :( Sorry, but it is so frustrating.

Hang in there and do your best. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it was unexpected. Working a few extra hours to have a day off seemed worth it. I'm back to a 3-day schedule, so should be a bit calmer, but we're losing another staff member in November.

Well, he's been on it for several days at this point. I forgot to ask how long it would take to kick in, but I think that should be a good starting point.

Yes, very happy for Chip. I hope he doesn't come back. Lucy hasn't been brought back yet, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. They said she was going to be. But yeah, Raja and the kittens are back. So frustrating. Dwight seems a lot calmer and less sociable than the last time he was here.

He seemed like a good guy, but I know from experience that you can only prepare so much for raising a puppy and huskies are another story entirely. I wouldn't recommend them as a first dog at all. She was a lot of fun. The three dogs together were too much though. Osiris liked her way too much and was acting like a little puppy himself. I cannot deal with an 80lb puppy on top of the actual puppy. He'd blow off my commands like he'd never heard them before and even tried darting out the front door once when I was taking her outside. He's been taught that he doesn't just run through that door without permission. :ohwell:

Oh, did it? That's neat. I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned. Not sure how I even learned about Osiris.

Yes, it's been a lot. I know, it's so frustrating. I don't know what people expect when they're told that a cat is shy or will take time to warm up. It's not like cats are known for being super social and outgoing to begin with. It's definitely the people. I don't know if I should blame the adopters or the people who talked to the adopters though. Especially with Raja. It should've been made very clear that this cat would be a work in progress for weeks, or more likely months. I do think a lot of our shyer cats would benefit from having a more social cat around too. Makes me lose hope for cats like Keanu too because if people can't handle Lucy or Raja, how is anyone going to handle him? Apparently Kadence is still pretty fearful around strangers too. I don't see that because she knows me and is super sweet. I would take them all if I could.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, well, you seem to have handled it well. :) Ughhhhhh, losing another person. :(

Good, yes, agreed. Fingers crossed.

Agreed on Chip!!! Hmmmm, on Lucy. Hopefully clearer heads prevailed. Poor Raja and the kittens. They seem like good cats. Good that Dwight is calmer BUT less sociable........................ Hmmmmmmm. Not the right home for him it seems. :/ But being moved around will do that.

Well, true BUT it sounds like he may be better prepared than you may realize. Yep. Osiris acted like a normal, social dog. THAT is pretty good even though it made it challenging. :/

Yep. I WISH I would have messaged you at the time. Argghhhhhhhhh. Pretty cool.

Agreed. Frustrating BUT that this the standard issue with this stuff. Yes, blame can probably go all around. :/ People do overestimate their abilities, tolerance, wants, etc. It is hard. Hopefully the right people come in. Me too, people like us can handle anyone. Problem is there are not many of us that have room. :( It is hard but all you can do is your best (you meaning the shelter). Too stringent isn't good and too lenient isn't good. It is very difficult.............................................. :/

Hang in there!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was definitely tiring.

Hopefully. Yeah, Raja in particular really shouldn't be moved around like this. It can't be healthy for her. Dwight just doesn't seem quite right to me. I guess it could just be maturity though. When he was here before, he was always the first to great you, meowed for attention, wanted to be with/on you, etc. He was moved around the shelter a lot because the other kittens he was with got adopted before him, so he was in with probably four or five other litters and was never phased. Now he'll meow at you a little like he wants attention, but then backs off when you try to pet him. Squish, the other kitten, is super sweet. Definitely a lap cat. I didn't remember her at first because she looks so different.

He was definitely better prepared than I expected, but I don't have high hopes for most people and I'd be impressed just to see someone prepared for any puppy. I kinda feel for his mother who might be getting stuck taking care of a high energy husky puppy on top of the young dog she already has. Lol. I think Osiris might've been a bigger problem than the puppy sometimes. Layla seemed to have good interactions with him (not with Stella, I think she liked the sounds Stella made a little too much) in that she'd go up sniff, lick him, and then move away. She only sometimes wanted to play. Whereas with Osiris it was constant, 24/7 wanting to play.

Yeah, it's certainly a rare thing.

It's so frustration and I see we have so many kittens right now who are skittish and I worry we're just going to be stuck with all of them. We have a litter of five who came from foster recently. They're young enough they should definitely be able to be socialized, but it does make you wonder what the heck the foster was doing that's left them so skittish. Seems to me they should be better. There's also a litter of three with one really sweet one and two skittish ones. The skittish ones are cute. They both look like Maine coons. One is black and white and the other is a gorgeous tortie/calico. The tortie be on my list of cats I'd take because I wouldn't mind working with her and she'd be very pretty for pictures. Then there's a litter that had four, but two were adopted and one of the two left is pretty skittish. She's a cute mostly white dilute calico.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( I know BUT you now know you can handle it to some degree so going forward you will be able to maybe even handle it better.

No, it isn't healthy or good for any animal. :/ But what can you do? Poor Dwight, yes, that is part of the issue being in a setting like that, etc. :/ I hope Dwight can find the right home. Squish LOVE that name!!! Sounds like a lovely cat!!

Yes I hear you. But maybe it will work. We'll see. I think it will. Hahahaha, Osiris!!!! Possibly ;) Awwww, they loved each other. Osiris is a playful dog (remember Bingo) if it is the right dog. Layla was a right one. :/

Yep

Yep, VERY frustrating. :/ BUT you all are doing your best. They all sound gorgeous and wonderful. It is a tough job because there are a lot of "shoulds" (they should have homes, they should be great cats, etc) but should and will are tough gaps sometimes. BUT all you can do is your best. Every single one of my ferals should be in homes, they are great cats, loving, sweet, fun, etc but our wishes and what "should" be aren't always realistic. I tis hard to come to terms and accept that but it is important to try and find a balance.

Hang in there and keep seeing the positives, the goods to offset the disappointments. You are doing amazing net positive stuff!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be starting school soon, so won't be able to handle that much then. I hope we can find some more help by then.

Nothing, unfortunately. Dwight doesn't deserve any of this. None of them do, but it's especially hard seeing one go through it so young. His life has barely started and he's already been through so much. Squish is great. I remember her and her sister, Sushi. Squish was really sweet then too though I had a bit of a soft spot for her sister who was the shyer one.

Well, they haven't brought her back yet, so I guess that's a good sign. I just want to the best for her. For all the animals, really, but unfortunately not everyone gets 'the best.' So I just have to hope at least it's good enough. I think it's amazing that a dog can act so aggressive and then be so playful. You should've heard Osiris when he first saw Layla. He lost it. But once he sniffed her, everything changed. And another animal can keep his interest without even trying while I'm here buying new toys constantly trying to keep him entertained. :ohwell:

They are. Indeed. :( I get attached very easily, so it's hard for me no matter what. I hate seeing them sit in a shelter, hate seeing them be moved around and shuffled from place to place, but I'm always a little bit sad to see them go too. I miss Chip and Charlee, a beautiful black cat with golden-orange eyes who was sooo sweet and loving. He didn't stay long! But they all deserve loving, kind, patient homes of their own rather than sharing these tiny rooms with multiple other cats or sitting in cages. And it's hard when you know how great an animal can be, but no one gets to see that because they don't take the time to really get to know them. Like Kadence is a really wonderful, affectionate, playful little lap cat who looks at you with the most adoring look on her face when she trusts you and I just can't imagine her being stuck in a shelter.

There are certainly ups and downs and there are times where it's more downs than ups or vice versa, but right now is a tough time. On top of being short handed, adoptions are slow and yet animals are continuously brought in. People trying bringing in kittens they've found and we have to turn them away because we have a waiting list of cats to be brought in just from the county the shelter is in. We do, of course, always take returns and those seem to be happening very frequently right now. So our workload is increasing while our employees are decreasing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhh, yes. I hope so too. I think it is really challenging now though. but let's hope.

:/ No. All you can do is your best. No, Dwight does not and totally agree no animal does. But there are far worse alternatives. It is hard. :/ BUT he/they are all young and finding the right home at some point with a lot of years remaining make it all worth it. Awwww, Squish and Sushi.

Good sign, fingers crossed. Yes, agreed on all of it. :/ The best that is possible, maybe that is the best way to put it? Really, he did???? I didn't expect that THOUGH it is not surprising. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. Yep, no toy can be more interesting than another (liked) animal.

Me too. :/ I know, but what is the alternative? Realistic alternative? It isn't ideal BUT it is probably the best path to a forever home. And maybe there are things in shelter environments that can improve BUT people, resources are needed. Wonderful Chip and Charlee are success stories. Oooooooo, Charlee. GORGEOUS. :) I know, it is VERY hard. :/ But any success is good. I still do know of a better alternative that is realistic.

Yep. :( It happens that way. The key is to find a balance and try not to get too extreme on either emotion. It is not easy but I think if you put your mind to it you can handle it. Yep. :/ That experience is replicated across the country into other countries I am sure. Hopefully more TNR is being done. Perfect is not possible so all you can do is your best and to do your best you have to try hard to find that balance and not get too down. nd sometimes a good cry and loving an animal can help get us through to some degree. You are getting a PhD in Maturing/Maturity. :/ Not easy but it will help in the longer run.

Hang in there and vent whenever you want. At least I can listen. :/

You are doing great stuff and making a big difference!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's a very demanding job for not much pay, but you'd think there would be some people who need the job and/or want to work with animals. They do make the job sound terrible in their description though. Like, it's tough enough as it is. You don't need to make it sound even worse.

Yeah, I don't know why them being young makes it seem so much worse. The young ones and the old ones are the ones I hate seeing there the most. And when they're so sweet and have absolutely nothing wrong with them. It's at least kind of understandable when it's an animal with real behavior issues, but when they're a perfectly good, easy animal? It doesn't make sense. And kittens! What on earth can a kitten do that's so terrible that you don't expect from kittens? I've seen a few really young kittens be brought back.

A dog like Layla certainly needs to have the best possible. People don't have to be a fantastic dog trainer or have tons of experience; the important thing is that they try and put the effort in. If they do that, she'll be a good dog. But sometimes people don't do that or don't know how much effort is required. Yes, he's like that with every dog though I think this was especially bad because I couldn't do intros like I like doing. In the past, when introducing Stella to other dogs, we'd go to the park and my mom would walk Stella while I'd walk the other dog with both of us in between them. My mom was working when I got Layla, so I tied her to the fence in the backyard and brought the dogs out back one at a time to meet her.

There's not much, unfortunately, though I do think being honest with people about animals is one thing that sometimes people don't do. They like to make them sound so great, but that's just going to make the issues seem even worse if they weren't discussed beforehand. And if we could find a way of actually working on problem behaviors. We have trainers yet none of our dogs are ever helped. Not every dog needs the help and I know we can't work with every single one of them, but if we could work with the few that truly need it then maybe they won't sit in the shelter and deteriorate. Charlee was truly beautiful and I'm a little upset I didn't get any pictures of him, but he came in during the period I was really busy and didn't have any time. If he gets brought back then I'll know for sure there's something very wrong with humans.

It's definitely hard. I love this work and have no desire to leave it, but it does take its toll. If anything, it makes me want to do more though. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to be able to do more right now. Hopefully soon, but I am afraid that might mean leaving this particular shelter. TNR does seem to be catching on. I know my shelter is pretty involved in it at this point. I think they loan traps out to other people who trap cats and bring them in, so they can get quite a few at one time. I've seen several traps lined up in the recovery room on a number of occasions.

Thank you. It's nice having someone to talk to who really understands what it's like. I think my mom gets tired of hearing about the animals, but they're basically all I have to talk about since I don't do much else at this point. Even on my days off I'm keeping up with what's going on at the shelter!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ VERY demanding. AND TOO LITTLE pay. :( Yep, you would think BUT that is the way it is nowadays. :( Well, if they oversell the job they will get higher quit rates. Best to undersell and people might think "this job isn't that bad".

Yep. Totally agree. BUT the world is not filled with people like us. :/

Agreed on Layla. I don't know but I think she is in good hands. Is he really? I thought he only liked Bingo before and didn't really care about any other dog.

Yes. It is hard. To find that balance of being honest BUT not off putting. What do the trainers do then? I LOVE Charlee without even seeing a pic!!!

It is really hard and yes, it takes its toll. :( But try to see the positive difference you are making. Because you are doing GREAT work!! It is good you want to do more. That is ok, you have a long time to do great things. Well, if you have to leave then................... GREAT they are doing more TNR.

Oh my, you are so welcome!!! You are so special and I love talking to you. Hahaha, yep moms will at some point that is why friends are good. :) Yep, I can't do much anymore either. It always light my day up when I see a message from you. :) love hearing about the animals. Hehehehe, I am not at all surprised you keep up with the shelter on your days off. ;) It is wonderful!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely. It would be great to be paid more, but then that would mean less money for the animals. People should be aware of the difficulties of the job, but I wouldn't want it the way they describe it either. They mention hazardous materials and I'm not even sure what that's referring to. They want customer service skills and excellent written and oral communication, none of which is actually necessary. Most of us aren't great with the people skills.

Unfortunately not.

He seems like a good guy. Certainly not trying to make him sound bad or say that he shouldn't have a dog. But I do feel his schedule will make things difficult for any puppy, let alone this puppy. Not impossible, but he is relying on a lot of other people which, as long as they're able and willing, I guess is fine. It's not how I like to do things myself. When Bingo is around, Osiris is all eyes for her. Osiris loves Bingo. But when she's not around, he's perfectly happy making new friends. Once he finishes acting like he wants to murder them anyway.

Yes. I don't know! I've seen them once and that's it. They talked about changing things, doing things, helping us out, talking to us when they have the chance, etc., but I've never seen them again. Charlee was great. I usually get more attached to the shy ones rather than the overly social ones, but he was just too awesome to not love. And sooo pretty. There are things/animals that just instantly make me start planning for pictures and he was one of those.

I am. I'm not always a very positive person, so it can be hard but I think it helps that being around and with animals is a stress relief in itself for me. Basically my stressor and my stress relief stem from the same place, so they balance each other out a bit. I'm not sure if I'll ever be happy with the amount I can do. I'll probably always want to do more. Well, we've looked for houses in the area, but unfortunately the shelter is in an expensive place. Everything we looked at was pretty much what we already have and yet more expensive. I need more space to be able to foster. And if I had a separate building then I could foster cats as well as dogs.

I enjoy our chats too. It's not often I get to talk about animals like I want to outside of here. I don't think my mom knows how much I hold myself back sometimes. Haha. Maybe if I had more friends my mom wouldn't have to listen to it as much. To be fair, it's hard not to keep up with the shelter when I'm constantly getting notifications on my phone about what's going on there. But I do spend probably an unnatural amount of time in our system where we keep all the info about the animals. I don't like feeling out of the loop. When you work three days and then have four days off, pretty much everything can be different by the time you go back. New animals, animals adopted out, etc.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree. Yes, well, haz mats are probably cleaning supplies? Cust serv, written, oral, that is good, not toooooooo strenuous of a requirement but may be less relevant at times. I wonder if you don't think it is as necessary because you are good at it? Hahahaha, well, I think you are better with people skills than you give yourself credit for.

:( Nope

Yes and totally understand. You love Layla and want the best for her. I hope somehow you know how it is going. Yes, not how I would do it either. :/ BUT there are many ways to success. Hahahaha, yep, Osiris LOVES Bingo. :) Wow, I didn't know that. Hahahaha, he has to test them first................ ;)

Hmmmmmm, maybe they work with the families? Or you just don't see them doing their thing. Awwwwwwwww, Charlee.

It is so funny because I see you as positive. In my interactions with you. I never once thought otherwise. Interesting. It is a hard job and important to find that balance an find that acceptance of what is possible, what can be controlled and what isn't and can't. :/ Acceptance is important as is finding the places to make positive progress to make the biggest positive difference. Ahhhhhhhh, interesting- "I'm not sure if I'll ever be happy with the amount I can do. I'll probably always want to do more.". Yes MANY people are like that and that is not bad in of itself as long as it doesn't affect you and hold you back. Hopefully we can work on that and get you to handle it better.

Oh my, everything you already have but more expensive. :( Ughhhhhhhhhh. Well, hopefully something works at some point. And you can foster at some point, it is not absolutely necessary now. It would be great BUT you can do it when it is a better time. A separate building would be awesome, purpose built. Whew, THAT is a dream!!! I hope it comes true for you!!! Yes, A LOT can change in a few days.

I think you are doing great!!! :)

That is great. Yes, me too. People don't always understand. :/ She probably doesn't. :/ Hahahaha, well, friends that share the same passions. In time you will find them. :) Hahahaha, well , I guess so!!! Yes, I can understand your feeling. And because you care, you have a passion that makes more sense. I think it is great you care so much.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. I talked about needing to pay more money and we just got a raise. That's what my mom said, but use the same thing for basically everything and it's safe to use around the animals. I mean, I'm sure it would be harmful if you sat there and drank it, and it will dry your hands out if you put her hands in it and don't wash it off. I wouldn't call it 'hazardous' though. I have no costumer service experience and my oral communication could be better. So could communication for most of us at the shelter. It's just not actually required or I wouldn't have this job.

Yes. I would like to know how things are going, but I doubt I'll hear much. They do get updates occasionally. I didn't give them my phone number since I didn't really like I had a reason to. Yeah, I have to remind myself sometimes that my way isn't the only right way. I tend to keep my animals to myself and want to do most of the work without others interfering. He does. We haven't seen her in a while. He got sick and apparently Bingo's owner hasn't been taking her as much because her grandmother was having health issues, and lately I've been too busy at work.

I don't think so. I think I would've heard something by now and we don't typically do much with adopted animals. They were supposed to be decreasing shelter stress for the dogs. But oddly enough, I heard about them today (apparently I should complain about things more often). Apparently they took some presentation to a board meeting recently? Don't know what about though.

Well, I guess it depends on what it is. I try to be positive because otherwise I get myself too stressed. But I tend to assume the worst in people and situations. I've definitely had to learn to accept the things I can't control, but it is often easier said than done. I definitely struggle with the wanting to do more than I can actually do. I know I'm doing good and anything is better than nothing, but it's hard when you know that you're doing is so little in the face of things and there's so much more that can be done.

Yes. I hope so, but I don't think it's going to happen in this area. We can afford much better further out where there's less around, so basically moving out into the country. That'll mean trying move near another shelter though because that's definitely not around this one. So I might not be helping this shelter, but I'll be helping another. I don't think my manager is going to like that though. Maybe I could take a cat or two with me as an apology. :p

I could talk about animals all the time. I'm always thinking of random animal-related facts that no one cares about. I hope I do. I don't need people around all the time, but it would be nice to have more people to talk to about the things that interest me. People who actually care about those things too. Yes, our adoptions have picked up (there we go again with something I complained about and now it's changed), and I noticed we're actually getting low on dogs. We have new cats, some just from foster, but others surrendered. So lots to adjust to.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, too funny, congratulations!!! Yes, just be careful with all the chemicals, etc. There are probably legal requirements, etc as well. Well, yes, maybe it is put in their to weed out those that aren't serious? If someone is passionate it might not deter them whereas for someone just looking for a job it might deter them (which is good I think). But I hear you.

Yes :/ Yes, it is hard to accept there are other ways but it is good as well, good learning and maturing. Too funny (Osiris). Awwwwwwww, he probably misses his Bingo but understandable why. :/ I hope her grandmother's issues get better.

Yes, doesn't sound like it. Makes sense they would be there to reduce shelter stress (not easy). But hopefully they can. Oh, interesting. Wil be interesting to see what they brought up.

Yes, of course. That is good you try to be positive. And it is good to pick your battles. Like you said, kwoing what you can control, influence and what we can't and then try our best to make things better. Yes, it is MUCH easier said than done. BUT if we try we will get better and feel better and make more positive change. It is all part of the learning and maturation process and even at my age I am still trying to do that. :) Oh, please try not to focus on too big a picture. We all only can do so much but together we all can make big differences. Like a car needs an engine, tires, steering wheel etc to work so does making the big picture animal situation work. We all do our part, our best t save lives and make lives better.

:/ Well, I know you both will make the best decision. No, your manager will not like that BUT you will still be helping animals so it will be good. Just make a good house purchase and go from there. It will all be ok. :)

Awwwwwww, that is good. You will, you are too interesting, too nice, too cool not to. :) Wow. Yep, big change. Yep, ups and downs, ebbs and flows, etc. Part of the rescue process. Never dull. ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was kind of funny too. I've been working around these 'chemicals' for over two years now, so I think I'm okay. As far as I'm aware, it's just hydrogen peroxide that they did something to and it's extremely diluted (2% for general cleaning, 4% for deep cleaning. 8% just for ringworms). I don't think we can afford to weed out too many people. I understand we want people who care, but the job itself will sort of weed out those people. You could put "lots of poop" in the description and weed them out. :tongue: Otherwise you end up also weeding out the people like me who take things way too literally.

Yes, definitely something I've had to learn. Probably, but I'm learning she may not have been the best influence with her rough play. He's so rough! Too rough for little Layla and also too rough for an elderly dog he met at the park once. Too rough for me too. :ohwell: I hope so too. I know her grandmother has some issue that compromises her immunity.

I hope they do something. Funny how I heard nothing about them for so long until I complain about not hearing anything about them and now I've heard them come up a couple of times. I hope that means they'll be doing something soon.

Yeah, I used to be worse about getting too worked up over things out of my control, seeing the worst, expecting the worst, etc. I've gotten better about accepting things and letting go of what I can't control, but that's certainly not to say I'm perfect by any means! I do still have a hard time with not stressing out over every little thing (school is starting soon and I'm stressing a bit((a lot)) over that!) and looking ahead an appropriate amount rather than way too far out. I think of all the things I could do in the future rather than just being happy I'm able to do what I'm doing.

I'll certainly do my best. I feel bad leaving. I never would've chosen to leave a job so soon after getting it, but I'm low on options. Seeing how hard it is to replace the employees we've lost, I feel even worse. And I do like my manager, but sometimes she drives me crazy. I definitely want to get experience with different shelters and see how they do things.

Haha, thanks. Yes! We're down to 15 dogs now. Which sounds like a lot, but it's rather few for us. We usually have 20-30. It makes me nervous when we start getting low though because that's when they do a transport and bring in 5-10 more dogs. Maybe they'll go easy on us since we're so short-handed.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it is always best to be careful. :) I hear you on finding the balance. :/ Hahahaha, yes, that could weed them out!!! Well, they didn't weed you out.......... ;) But I do hear you. I hope they do figure it out so they are not so short staffed.

Yes, I think we all pretty much have to learn that and some people don't. :/ Yes, he is sweet but he doesn't know his size. :/ I have had a lot of dogs like that. :( Oh no, I hope she is safe.

Yep. Things do happen like that, we think "whatever happened to....." and then that comes up. Interesting. I HOPE they do and it is more visible.

That is terrific you are getting better!!! Hahaha, is anyone perfect? Can anyone actually be perfect in any way? The great thing is you are getting better, focused on it, etc. "I do still have a hard time with not stressing out over every little thing" - Many people do!!! "(school is starting soon and I'm stressing a bit((a lot)) over that!)" - Totally normal BUT we both know you can handle it. "and looking ahead an appropriate amount rather than way too far out." - Yep, I did that as well, so many people do. "I think of all the things I could do in the future rather than just being happy I'm able to do what I'm doing. " - EXACTLY!!! Again, most people do that. So you are saying you are totally normal and like everyone else?????? ;) BUT the fact you are aware at such a young age is so impressive. AND you can learn and get better (which I know you will).

Yes, I know but you have to do what is best for you. Hahahaha, any manager will make a person "crazy" at times. :) I would not worry about it, just do your best, be honest with your manager, yourself, etc, communicate, etc. All will turn out well or the best it can be.

Wow,. low. Yep, that number will increase. There is always dogs in need. :/ Hang in there. More lives to be saved!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They didn't weed me out because I didn't apply for the job. The manager asked me if I'd like to work there, so never filled out an application or read their job requirements. There's a very large chance I wouldn't apply for the job if those requirements were all I knew about the job and the organization. I've heard about a couple of interviews, but nothing about them hiring anyone yet.

Yeah, not always the easiest thing to accept even when you are aware of it. No, he doesn't know his size at all. It's interesting how some dogs just instinctively know how to act with other dogs/animals and some are just totally oblivious.

Yes, it's been happening a lot lately. I hope they do too. We need to do something for Caleb or he's just going to live in the shelter for the indefinite future.

No, and I don't expect to be perfect, but wanted to say that I am aware there's still room for improvement. The stress has definitely increased the last few days. I'm probably a little late on getting set up for classes, but I think I'm almost ready now. It's stressful because it's such a huge time and financial commitment. I was actually making money from my last college, so it seemed less daunting. I went into it knowing I probably wouldn't need much, if anything, in loans and I certainly didn't. Now I'm trying to figure all that out. And I definitely tend to look too far ahead. I've probably spent too much time considering what comes after the degree rather than what it's going to be like actually getting it. Which, to be fair, was partly intentional because whenever I thought too much about it, I'd bring up doubts and start questioning my choices all over again.

Yeah, I just have a hard time. I don't like disappointing people, but I have to remind myself that I don't owe these people anything. I know my mom always thinks they owe me because I was bitten on my first day, but I feel like they've been cooperative with the bills and gave me the time I needed to be comfortable again so they've pretty much made up for it. And they were supposed to be hiring full time, but hired me part time and have adjusted to my schedule when they didn't have too. Still not sure why they decided to hire me knowing I couldn't work what they wanted me to.

Shouldn't have said anything. There's been mention of a transport next Wednesday or Thursday. I hope they don't bring too many at least, but the other rescue has snuck a couple of extra dogs onto our transports before...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhhhh :) Interesting!!! Hopefully the interviews went well.

Very true. :/ Yep. My girl (Dobie mix) is like that. :/ Yep, so true. :)

Yes. :( I know. It is so hard. Poor Caleb. :(

Everyone needs improvement!!! Just not of all us are wise enough to know it. Yes, stress will do that. We are having computer issues so our stress is really high now. :( BUT the best way to deal with it is to tackle the issues. So you will catch up on your classes ( you are almost ready now so that is great). Yes, it is time consuming, expensive, etc BUT the rewards are great in the longer term. Well, we all go through those doubts, worries, etc. Then we try to figure out what we can control, what we can't, etc. It is a good learning experience, maturation, etc. Of curse school are the books, lectures, etc but also all those things you are going through, that learning. And we can always talk about it and try to figure it out. :)

Yes. Well, just understand that there is a balance and you have to do what is best for you. It is hard but important. Well, it was a good learning, experience, opportunity, etc. I think it has been really good for you overall.

Yep, as we mention earlier, when we talk about something something comes up. ;)

Oh, if I don't respond the computer is down so please be patient until it can get fixed etc. :/

Hang in there!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming one didn't work out because I know they already had a working interview, but haven't heard about them being hired or seen them around.

Makes it a little difficult to let them interact with other dogs because he just constantly wants to play with them whether they want to or not and can't take a hint. I know he made Layla yelp once and never even paused.

Yes. I love Caleb. He's a really, really good dog once he knows and trusts you, but he has been aggressive towards strangers. We have a few dogs that need some help. One gets a lot of attention and there's one guy who gets him out a lot, but nothing every changes with him.

Oh yeah, of course. Always improvement to be done. Yes, I know someone who is not aware of it in the slightest. Computer issues always suck. I talked to an advisor on the phone today to go over a last few things and cover any questions, so I'm feeling a bit better now. It's still a bit surreal to be starting school in a little over a week and it is still daunting (I don't think that will change), but it doesn't feel so overwhelming. Sounds like a lot of it is similar to how I did things with my online classes at the previous school, so nothing too new. Just a different formatting on their website. And I still have some time to worry about loans/debt/etc. because this term is covered by financial aid.

Oh, I definitely agree that it's been a good learning opportunity and I'm glad to have it. I'm happy I got the experience in a place I was already familiar with and now I can take that experience to get a job at a new shelter, so it's certainly been good for me(other than being bit on the first day, anyway). Just don't know how good it is for them since it looks like I'll have to leave.

Yep. :ohwell: Though they could've said, "By the way, we won't be getting any more transport until we have more staff." That would've been nice. I do enjoy meeting new animals though.

Oh, that's alright. I'll probably be pretty busy tomorrow and then work the next day, so not sure if I'll have time to respond or not anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am back but not sure if the fix is going to continue working so please be patient if I go offline again. :(

:(

Yep, agreed. BUT he isn't mean, just not aware. :/

Awwww. Wow, Caleb is aggressive with some? There must be a past. :/ Yes, it is hard to change behavior and get them to trust. :/ I have had bait dogs and fighting dogs along with abused dogs, etc. It is heartbreaking and very hard at times. :(

Yes. Well, maybe you can help the unaware person some day? Ughhhhhh, I hate computers the actual things, I like what can be done. Given our situation without a computer it makes like very isolating nowadays. Oh good, I am glad you talked with an advisor. Well, anticipation is always the hardest. You will be fine. Just do your best, try your hardest. I am really glad to hear you are not feleing overwhelmed. Oh good, that is great there is time on the finances.

Yes. It is great. Well, they will manage just communicate with them so it is not a surprise etc.

Hahahaha, well, then you would be saying "we don't have enough animals"......... ;)

Well, it has been worse then expected. Very frustrating and each of us are not feeling so well either. So kinda tough. But maybe it is fixed. What I think we need to do is get a new computer. But that is scary as well. Well, have to deal with everything. I will make sure I can be more responsive soon. :/

I am so glad to hear you are doing well!!! Makes my day!!!