Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) I know you will. :)

:/ Often people go to the medicine as a crutch. :/ It is easy and gives an impression a person is doing something. :/

That is great. Ughhhhh, oh no. :( Poor Brutis. A person has so be so cautious when having a new animal. :(

:( Oh no. Yep, I have had many a hits to the chin, face, etc. :( Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Yes!!! Oh wow. I know. HOPEFULLY it is the right home. :/ Fingers crossed. Ahhhhh, ok. I understand now. Wow, another new home.

:/ Things can go off but best to get them checked. Poor Frost. It is the season. :/

OH MY!!! That is scary. Any idea what he may have gotten into? Poor Osiris. :( At least everything else is normal. Please let me know how is is doing and what might it be and what is causing it. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did catch Raja while she was snuggled up to Rowdy again and she let me pet her. Still won't let me touch her otherwise. I did feed her some wet food on a spoon once too. She was hesitant, but ate it.

We're taking Layla off her meds! She was behaving a lot better today and I think she didn't get the meds again last night, so we're quitting them. However, she did pulls some chewable tablets for another dog off of the desk in the office she's being kept in and ate all of them. Fortunately, she should be okay. Some GI upset possibly, but she was doing fine as of when I left today.

Brutis is still missing unfortunately. We haven't had any sightings of him since Friday afternoon. I drove around where he was lost Friday afternoon and every day after work and my mom and I went Sunday to yell for him. He could be anywhere at this point though and it's scary because there's a really busy road there and we know he's crossed it at least once to get from where he was lost at to where he was last seen. It does look like he was heading back to the shelter, so hopefully he'll find his way there eventually. His adopters live in the same town as the shelter, so it's not far.

Yes, me too, just not with this sort of damage! I think they'll be fine. It's just a tiny piece from two teeth.

Arrow, the cattle dog, went home today. Another dog went home yesterday. We've had a few long-time resident cats go home over the last few days too. We did have a dog returned today too though.

Somebody threw something up this morning so I'm thinking that was Frost's problem. He had something lodged. Just weird he didn't stop eating. Hopefully he'll be okay for now. The boys haven't fought anymore which is good, but still so strange they started fighting so suddenly.

They think a bug bite or sting. He seems okay now. He still has an appointment to get checked out tomorrow, but he's eating again and his poo isn't as soft as it was. Still soft, but not as bad. Everything else is normal.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww. GREAT job feeding food on a spoon. She will learn to trust you and build a bond.

GREAT!!!! Oh my, yes, they will do that sometimes. I am glad it wont be too bad for her. Whew...................

:( Ughhhhhh. That breaks my heart. Dogs aren't as resourceful as cats in the wild. :( I hope someone sees him and calls. I HOPE he comes back to the shelter.

:( Small doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully next time you are in to the dentist they will let you know if anything needs to be done. :/

Wow, that is great. I HOPE the cattle dog is in the right home. They are pretty energetic and smart, right? GREAT news on the cats!!! Those are challenging adoptions. Woohoo!!!! :( A dog returned. Well, hopefully the dog finds the right home next time. Overall, really good few days!!! :)

:/ It happens sometimes. :/ Keep an eye on him/them. GREAT NEWS on the fighting!!! Lack thereof ;)

:/ Poor guy. I am SO GLAD he is ok now. My, he has such bad luck. He might be allergic to something (insect, etc). Let me know how he is doing. Fingers crossed he is ok now!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so. She's such a pretty cat and so sweet when she will let you touch her. She would have been adopted a while ago if she wasn't so scared. We also have another cat named King. He's still in a cage by himself, not in a room. He's solid black. Beautiful cat. So depressed and shut down. He doesn't move other than to eat and use the litter box. Otherwise he just huddles up in one spot. He flinches whenever you move towards him. Puts his ears back and closes his eyes like he's expecting you to hurt him. It might be the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen. He won't do anything when you touch him. No hissing, no growling, doesn't run. Just like he's completely given up on protecting himself. When you do pet him though, he does very slowly start to relax and might even purr a little.

Layla went back to foster. We'll see if it lasts this time. I'm even more attached to her now though. I'm really going to miss her.

Brutis is still missing though we did have another sighting this morning. He'd gotten back across the busy road again and was at a park over there. We need to get him staying in one area so we can set up a trap. Still not going to far from that area though.

The orthodontist wasn't too worried, so I'm not too worried.

Yeah, in some ways they might be even a little harder than GSDs because cattle dogs are a bit more independent and stubborn. Kinda quirky dogs too. He's a good dog though. I took him to the park one day. He got worked up and almost made me deaf in the car, but did good at the park. One edge for a little while, but he settled down. The dog that was returned is large. 72lbs and about Osiris's height. Still young too. 10 months, I think. It was an older woman and she couldn't handle him. I think they should've figured that out before he was adopted out to her. Couple of new dogs came in from animal control. I haven't met them yet though.

So far, so good. I'm hoping Frost got everything up that was in him...

Osiris had his vet appointment today. Everything seems fine. Everyone is scheduled to get annual vaccines and Frost is getting dental work. I was also given epinephrine in case Si goes into anaphylactic shock again. I hope it never happens because I'm going to have to stab him with a needle and I don't want to do that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwww. Someone will come along and she will find her forever home. It sounds like you are doing great work with her. Ughhhhhh, poor King. BUT again, if he is responding by purring there is "life" there. Was he in a home before? Again, HOPEFULLY he finds the right home. It really is heartbreaking. :/ But hopefully this is just a step to happiness!!!

Awwww, I hope so. I know. :/ It is easy to get attached. Fingers crossed!!!

:( At least there was a sighting. I hope he gets found soon.

Oh good!!! Whew!!!

Yes. Oh wow, you spoil them!!! Pretty good. It sounds like he will do fine in a home. Awwwwwwwww. Yeah, people overestimate their abilities. Big dogs can be really hard. :/

Whew. That is great to hear.

Well, that is great. I wonder what happened? A bee sting? Yes, I hope it never happens again. Whew.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope so though I'm not sure if people even know she's there. King is definitely one that pulls on the heartstrings. I feel for Raja too, but she's not shut down like he is. She doesn't want to be touched, but doesn't flinch away like he does. King just seems like he's given up all hope. I don't actually know where he came from. All I know is he came at the same time as two other cats: a white female with kittens named Queen and a white male named Papa. Papa is pretty subdued/nervous too, but not nearly as bad as King. Queen just came back to the shelter and I haven't seen her yet since she was there for a couple of days with her kittens. She seemed sweet.

Her foster posted on Facebook and it sounds like Layla is doing alright.

Brutis was caught this morning! They got him in a trap and he's been taken back to his adopters.

I don't think you can do too much for these dogs in shelters. They need everything you can given them. He was a good dog. I was surprised the giant dog got adopted as quickly as he did. But then I don't really like the look of those Irish wolfhound dogs which is what he looked like. I guess if there are people who like them then there are people who like him.

Frost hasn't been finishing his food. He eats about 1/2 or so. This morning I put him water in what was left since he'd eaten it all when I put some water in it after he'd done all that vomiting. He did finish it then, but threw it all up. I don't even know what to think. He acts like he wants to eat, but seems to have trouble as he couldn't eat hard treats either. So I don't know if it's a tooth bothering him (I just got him scheduled for a tooth cleaning!) or if he could have a blockage.

Who knows? The bugs have been really bad lately. There are spiderwebs everywhere. And he'd definitely try to eat anything he found.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Hopefully she warms up and let's people know she is there and would make a great cat!! Yes, poor King. :( Raja seems like she will come around. Yes, it is hard to know the backstory. :( I really believe every cat is wonderful, they just have to be in the right home. I just hope they all find them. Queen came back to the shelter?

GREAT!!!!! :) Fingers crossed!!

YES!!!! Though I am not sure if that is the best home. :/ I HOPE I am wrong and it was just a bad coincidence that he ran away.

:/ I hope you are wrong. I hope something can be done. Interesting. Yes, all you need to do is find the right match. A lot of luck is involved!!!

:( Ughhhhhhhhh. Something isn't right. It bothers me he is throwing it up. When does he go in?

:( Yep. SO hard to prevent. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hoped she'd come out more when they took out one of the cats that was bothering her, but at this point she's been there for a few months and hasn't changed at all. It's sad to see them stay like that for so long. Oh, they are wonderful I'm sure. It's terrible seeing them so shut down and I'm just not sure what one does about that. It's hard because you can't just take them out of that environment. You have to wait for a foster or adopter. Queen was in foster with her kittens, but her kittens are weaned now so it's time for her to find her home. We don't keep mommas and their babies in the shelter. They stay in fosters, but we didn't have anyone to foster her immediately, so she spent a couple of days in the shelter.

From what I heard, they took him for a walk and didn't have him on the martingale collar the shelter had on him and he slipped his collar. Unfortunately, I don't know if Brutis would have many more chances at a home if we took him back. He's a very sweet dog, but very energetic, kind of neurotic, a bit skittish with strangers, and makes an absolute mess of his kennel. Of all the dogs there, he was probably the worst about having accidents in his kennel.

A lot of luck, apparently. We do not seem to have the best luck in finding the right matches. I saw we got a senior hound dog too which has me worried because seniors and hounds are hard to adopt out. Now we have one who's both! I hope they can get her into a foster. I always feel terrible when a senior ends up in the shelter.

Unfortunately not until the beginning of November. They're pretty busy right now, especially for surgeries. The earliest appointment I could get just for vaccines was two weeks out. Usually you can get an appointment with them within a few days.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Yes, it is sad. Unfortunate. BUT what is the alternative since fosters are so hard to find. :/ Ok, that makes sense with Queen.

:( I HOPE they love him and they learned the lesson. Yes, if eh does come back it might take some time. :/

Yes :( It is needed. Oh, I know. Seniors are so hard to find homes for. :( It is tough but all you can do is your best. :/

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Well, it has to be. I HOPE he is a little better. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raja apparently has a meet coming up. Wish her luck. I hope it's someone who's actually willing and able to put in the effort to gain her trust and not someone who just saw a pretty cat and wants it. She is a very pretty cat. King has been moved into a room with Queen whereas he was in his cage by himself. It'll be interesting to see if that makes any difference. I've definitely seen some cats come out of their shell because of other cats.

Layla was adopted.

They've been posting pictures of him and had been commenting on the posts about him being lost. Seems like they do care about him and he seems relaxed in their house. It's kind of weird seeing him lay down and hold still. Pretty much every time I saw him at the shelter he'd be standing, jumping, barking, etc.

The senior hound is apparently going to foster. And I don't know if I mentioned it, but Froto's foster is adopting him. Didn't last long. Lol. I can't blame them. He's a good boy.

No more vomiting from Frost, but still not eating right. He acts hungry, but takes forever to eat and doesn't finish it. I mixed his wet food with some water and that did seem to help.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: :hyper: :clap2: :cheerleader: Awwwww, I hope so too!!!! I do believe other cats can give confidence and help them open up. I hope it works for King!!!

WOW!!! THAT was fast!!! I hope a good family.

Well, THAT is GREAT!!! Maybe it was just an unfortunate situation. Hearing that really makes my day!!!

Great. Fingers crossed for the new foster. WOW!!! Froto found a home so quickly. He is special, isn't he????? Fantastic!!!

Great no throwing up. :( On not eating right. Hmmmmmm. Odd that water would help. Sometimes they do act hungry but then the flavor is not what they want. :/ Hmmmmmm. Poor guy. I hope he gets over what is causing this. Could it be the weather? Change of season?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask what happened with Raja's meet, but she's still there so they either are taking her home another day or decided not to take her. King is acting more relaxed, but he'd peed all over his bedding that he was laying in and it looked like it was bloody too.

Brutis still seems to be doing good in his home.

Froto was in the shelter for a few months or so. He should've been adopted before now. There was nothing wrong with him. Sweet, gentle, calm, quiet... Maybe a little timid, but I think he was more just subdued by nature. We've had people take young dogs just to bring them back because of their energy levels or house training issues. Should've gone for a dog like Froto if they didn't want an energetic dog that needed training.

Frost is eating consistently when I put water in his food. I'm thinking a tooth is bothering him, but don't know how to prove/disprove that considering I can't really get him in to the vet.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Raja has a new (great) home!! Fingers crossed. Awwwwwwwww, poor King, he has an infection probably. :( Poor guy. The stress. :(

GREAT!!!

It is odd but that happens sometimes. SO glad he found a great home though. I know, people sometimes do not think about what they really want. :/

Hmmmmm. I can see that water would help with a tooth but the other issues why would a tooth cause those? I know. :/ Hopefully something opens up earlier. :/

Fingers crossed for Raja!!! I love that name!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard someone was coming to see her today. Not sure if it's the same person doing a second meet or someone different, but sounded promising. I hope she goes home though I'll be a little disappointed I didn't get to take pictures of her. I was waiting for her to trust me a little more. Turns out King is actually injured. I think I saw some blood from that. We don't know what happened though. The poor cat barely moves and he seems to be fine with the only other cat in there with him. I noticed a wet spot on his leg and it appears to be a puncture oozing a clear fluid.

Yes, I'm glad he did too. He deserves the best. He's too good of a dog. I think the shelter staff probably have mixed feelings since the adopters were people who fostered a lot and it's going to be harder for them to foster with an added dog.

I think it was two different issues. Vomiting caused by ingesting something he shouldn't have and not eating caused by something else. But he's been eating without water now, so who knows. Maybe it was just a phase. He's a weird cat.

I think Raja is the tiger from Aladdin, isn't it? Could be wrong on that.

We got nine new dogs in the shelter yesterday. They're all so cute. A puppy named Penny had to get X-rays today because there's something wrong with her hind leg. She's been limping and has some bald areas on her hind legs. She also doesn't have a tail, not sure if it was amputated or what. They're thinking maybe she was hit by a car, but it's probably an older injury. She's the sweetest little thing though. Absolutely adorable. I cannot even begin to explain how amazing and wonderful this dog is. I sat with her for a bit before I left and she just curled up in my lap. They're all smaller dogs too. Not small-small, more medium sized, but small compared to the dogs we usually get. I can't handle the cuteness though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Raja!!!! Oh poor King. :( Ughhhhhhh. At least he can get help now.

Yes. :( But maybe he and they will be fine with fostering going forward?

Could be. Well, THAT is good that he is eating better!!! He might have just gotten something. :/ Fingers crossed it or whatever it was is done.

Oh my, I don't know. :( So i googled and yes, Rajah with an h is from Aladdin. Good memory!!!

:( Nine. Ughhhhhhhh Awwwwwwww, poor Penny. Oh my, you are in love again. ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raja was adopted. :redheartpump: Yeah, I'm interested to know what's going on with King. I haven't seen any updates on him.

They said they could foster older/easier dogs sometimes. Froto is fine with dogs, but apparently they had a three dog limit including any fosters and they already had two.

Still eating fine. In fact, eating faster than usual. Who knows with him. Osiris has started having diarrhea again though. Had to pick up some meds today.

Ah, got it. Well, it is the name of a tiger. I don't remember people's names.

We got two more in the time I haven't been there too. All the new ones we got from out of state are really cute. The manager was talking about adopting one because she looks nearly identical to a dog she had that died last year. I took one to the park yesterday. Her name is Dixie. She looks like a small red Doberman. She has a sister named Trixie who looks like her with longer fur. Dixie was a fantastic dog. Great in the car. She wouldn't jump in, but let me pick her up to put her in. Walked really well on the leash. I didn't expect that. Very sweet, affectionate dog. Just wants attention. The hardest thing with her is keeping her off you. She'd jump on me while I was walking. Very in tune with the people. If I was calm, she was calm. If I was excited, she was super excited. Smart. Nearly mastered sit in a couple of minutes. Not too interested in toys. Preferred just running with me over playing with any toys. Just an all-around awesome dog though. Now I'm in love with her.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Picture of Dixie because why not?

20210921_122649.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: :clap2: RAJA!!!! I hope King is ok. :/

Ahhhhhhhh. Makes sense.

I am so glad to hear he is eating fine. Who knows sometimes.................................... Ughhhh, poor Osiris. :( It is so frustrating. :(

I guess? I don't really know, I just saw the name associated with the movie. :/

Wow. Dixie................. LOVE THAT LOOK!!!! Oooooooooo and longer hair Trixie. Oh my!!! Awwwwwwww, you too?!?!?!?!?! WOW< she sounds amazing actually. How young is she?

Ooooo THAT is DIxie!! The picture. GORGEOUS!!!! Yep, I am IN LOVE too!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too.

Osiris is on meds and seems to be back to normal.

I'm pretty certain it's the tiger. I don't remember very many names.

Dixie is super cute. She had a little bit of an issue with other dogs when she was near people (if a person was nearby, she'd lift her lip and snarl at the other dogs), but seems like she's pretty much gotten over that. That was why I picked to take her out. That was the only issue we had with any of the new dogs and I figured it would be good to see if she had any other issues. But nope. She's just about perfect. They have her age listed as 1 year old. She looks and acts a bit puppy-ish, so I thought she was younger at first, but I guess that is still pretty young.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Yes

Great!!! I wonder what is causing it. :/

:) I trust you!!! :)

She really is. Great she has gotten over that. Awwwwww, as perfect as a dog can be. Puppy I guess really. 1 yr old. Yes, that is young. ;)