Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"cool:) Hopefully

I hope so. I know, it is hard being in a shelter for some. The distrust because of being surrendered, etc. It is hard. :( BUT what is the alternative? It is tough. :(

Really?!?!?!?!?! AWESOME!!!! :hyper: :clap2:

Yes. It is good socialization. There are always issues but it sounds more positive than negative. Fingers crossed they get adopted into good homes.

I think that is pretty common sadly. :( It is odd on some dogs. Like the one you mention or the puppy. :/ And I do believe the adopters have an impact on those returned and that may set them back. Maybe they are having a hard time finding fosters? Ughhhhhhh I hope the chi mix found a forever home.

:( Yes. It is easy too. :/ It is hard, too many with too few potential homes. :( Emotionally, it is tough. :(

Hahahahaha, seriously TOO FUNNY!!!!! :)

Yes, probably. Chicken is the best way to a cat's heart in my opinion. Really food but chicken especially. I have had cats thrashing around in a trap and I use chicken to help calm them and it works a lot of the time. Amazingly. Keanu sounds like he is really coming around. The hissing is just a warning not to try anything. I get ferals like that all the time and if I am "cool" they tend to calm down and with food it really helps. As long as you are aware of the risks. Yep, they will sometimes claw (they try to grab the chicken) and sometimes get scratched if they miss the food. So be smart, be careful. Think about when you see them give "eye kisses" - safely of course. Kadence and Knox seem to be coming around nicely. Just keep talking to them calm and confidently and giving food, eye kisses, etc. It can take time but it is well worth it. Trust can be built. If I can build trust in older ferals any cat can build trust.

Exciting. A lot of ups and downs but great to hear about the ups. Sounds like you are doing really well!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. :( I love Caleb and he deserves a great home, but I'm afraid at this point he's going to become stuck. If it wasn't for my animals, I'd like to foster him, but I'm afraid he'd get into a fight with them. Osiris would definitely be obnoxious and Stella would definitely be cranky. Plus I don't know how he is with cats. But he really does need to be in a foster home. He's a good dog.

Yes!

Yes, definitely most good. I hope they get adopted. We have a few shy/stand-offish cats that are having a bit of a harder time. A couple of them are super cute and sweet, but timid and nervous.

It is weird. We had another young dog who came in with the one I mentioned. Both young (older puppies) black dogs with high energy, but the other one was nuts. He jumped, he mouthed, he pulled on the leash so badly I was afraid he was going to hurt himself. He was stuck there for a while, but he did get adopted. And yet this other, calmer one is still at the shelter. They're the ones who went home together, actually, and were brought back the next day. I hate seeing the dogs get returned. That's one thing I'd be interested to see in another shelter. I wonder if this normal or if this shelter is particularly bad about getting returns. They do seem quick to adopt out to me.

Indeed. I'm even a bit attached to Keanu. We did have several kittens go home while I wasn't there. There'll probably be more by the time I go back. We got a few new adult cats as well. We certainly don't stay low on animals for very long!

That other litter of kittens didn't even want the chicken... They were tough. I hope they got a good home. Keanu has given me a good swat too. I'll put the chicken between the bars of the cage and he hisses as he walks over then swats at my hand. Then he'll take the chicken and be totally fine after that. He misses the chicken by a long shot when he grabs my hand though. Like he's just trying to drag my whole hand closer. All the cats need their claws cut, so they're super sharp. I've been doing the slow blink with him and that calms him down a lot. I had honestly never seen that work before working with these guys. Kadence and Knox are definitely going to be okay. They still need time to warm up a bit and realize you aren't a threat, but they come around quickly, especially if food or a toy is involved. I think time is a little more of an issue with kittens because it's easier to adopt them out when they're young and have the "cute" factor. It would be better if they could socialize quickly and get out rather than grow up at the shelter, but there's not much we can do about that. Also, they might get adopted out as barn cats if the opportunity comes up before they're socialized. I really want to work with him and succeed, but I have no idea how long I have to do that.

Lots and lots of ups and downs. We're getting new trainers who seem to want to work with the staff and possibly take some of our load working with the dogs. They talked a lot about wanting to reduce shelter stress on the animals. I'm not getting my hopes up too much though because it seems everyone talks about reducing shelter stress, but not much seems to actually happen. Animals still deteriorate.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( It is so tough. So hard. :( HOPEFULLY he can find a foster home soon. :/ Yes, you can't do it.

:)

I hope so too. Yes, they can be skittish and nervous but it is good they are sweet and cute. Fingers crossed.

Hmmmmmm. Sometimes those who get adopted surprise. :/ Oh I know, I hate seeing animals returned. That is the challenge, how to find the balance between being too tough to adopt and not tough enough (and of course people do overestimate their abilities of what they can handle). It is so hard. :( The stakes are high BUT perfection is not possible. So the key is to be a net positive and constantly try to improve.

Awwwwww. I am not surprised. ;) Keanu sounds like a good cat. Yes, there is a never ending supply sadly. :(

Yes, some kittens will not (at the beginning). I hope they got a good home as well. Yes, the will swat the hand, sometimes to knock the chicken out, sometimes defensively. The good news is AFTER he has the chicken he calms. That teaches humans and hands bring something good. Oh good, slow blinks are a great way to build trust. The fact he is responding is GREAT!! That is great to hear about Kadence and Knox. Great they respond to food and toys. I HOPE they get adopted into good homes and not as barn cats. BUT as you say we have no real control over that. But they should be in homes. :/

Yes. :( BUT as long as some positives are happening that is key. That it is better than the alternative (no shelters) most likely. That is good that maybe there is going to be some help, progress. Yes, hopefully they reduce shelter stress. Fingers crossed, at least they are trying.

I think the key is to make it overall better. It might not be prefect but as long as it is better than it would otherwise and learn and try to make it even better.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be nice, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem likely. Dogs that go to fosters usually go pretty quickly and they usually are the severely shut down, terrified dogs. Caleb isn't the first dog to go downhill like this and I haven't seen them try to get the others into fosters.

They're really cute. One, Archie, seems to do well with another confident cat around. When I first met him, he was with a cat named Fresno who was a very sweet, social cat. First to greet you in the room. And Archie would follow him around, rubbing on him. Archie was skittish with me, but warmed up and let me pet him fairly quickly. Fresno got adopted and all my progress with Archie just vanished. He wouldn't let me touch him. Now he's with Edith and he's suddenly better even compared to when he was with Fresno. Lucy is the other nervous one and she's been with Archie the whole time. I think they're siblings. She's also skittish, but she's come around a lot and has come to trust me. We just got a new cat named Felicity. She was so scared she was trembling. We've been watching Jackson Galaxy a lot lately though and I've been using his techniques. She eventually let me pet her and it was like the second she let me do that, we were best friends. She was rolling around, purring, and even came out of her hiding place and got in my lap.

Ruby, the older puppy I mentioned, got adopted. :yess: We have another one that looks almost identical to her though. :doh: We also just got 7 month old puppy yesterday named Odin. Super cute. A bit nervous, but very sweet. Another dog we got recently was apparently adopted out by them before, brought back, reclaimed, and surrendered to at least one other shelter before we got him back again. Now the lady is trying to reclaim him again, so we've hidden him and removed any information about him. They even adopted him out to staff member so he wouldn't be in the system.

Well, the good news is the flow of kittens seems to have slowed down and we finally got some adopted that had been there for a while. We got a new cat that escaped. Twice. I don't even know how he got out the first time, but the second time they were trying to get him from his carrier into a cage and he darted out.

Keanu is like a totally different cat. Still spooks kind of easily, but he comes right up to the cage door to greet me. He swats a lot, but it's playful. He gets kind of rough about it though. Fortunately, their nails were cut so it doesn't hurt too bad, but it does hurt a bit. I can hardly believe he's the same cat though. So much more relaxed and just visibly calmer. He hasn't been hissing at me at all. And now that he's doing better, the other two might as well have never been feral to begin with. I hope he gets to go to a home instead of a barn, but I do worry he's still a little too rough for people to want him even if it is just playful.

This thread had mostly just become me talking about animals at the shelter, hasn't it? Oops.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:(

Awwwwwww. That is very common for one cat to gain confidence from another. Yes, some cats will be so scared, trembling. Because they don't know what is going to happen. And rightfully so, they don't know our intent is good. Oh my goodness, Felicity!!! She just have been from a home. Awwwww, SO SWEET!!! I am so happy to hear you are doing such a great job with them!!! :)

YES!!!! RUBY!!!! I know. :/ There is a never ending supply. :( Odin. :) Oh my, the other poor dog. :( That is hard to get bounced and moved around so much. :(

That is good. HOPEFULLY people are neutering and spaying. :/ There will be more waves.................... :/ OH yes, Houdini cats.................. Yep. :/

Awwwwwww. Keanu. You are really doing a great job with them. Building trust. I am really impressed. AND it is so important for them. Well, cats can get gentler, etc. SO in the right home it would not surprised me if Keanu would be a great cat. I do think all cats can be great in the right home. I take in older ferals. Those are the most difficult cats to build trust with etc. When in time they are sleeping cheek to cheek with you you realize it is possible. Not everyone can do it an many shouldn't BUT it is possible.

Annnnnndddddddddd, that is an issue??????? ;) The beauty is it is your thread and you can talk about anything you want!!! :) I am not complaining. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Archie is pretty cute. I hope he gets a home with another cat. Felicity helped me get my hands on another cat yesterday. Abby, she's been there longer than Felicity, but I had never touched her. She's not totally shut down and has sniffed me, but would usually then back up slightly and so I didn't push her past that. However, Felicity was enjoying some pets and Abby came out. It was the first time I'd even seen her come out of her hiding place. At first, she just walked by, but then she came back, sniffed my hand I was petting Felicity with, and then rubbed against me. After that we were good friends.

We had a dog that looked and acted almost just like Odin except smaller. I really liked her too, but she did get adopted relatively quickly. I think Odin will go quickly too. He did go to a foster home. Yes, that dog, Captain, has been through a lot. Nonetheless, he seems like a really good dog. He's easy to forget though since we've tucked him away in our recovery area for animals that came in for surgery.

Well, the shelter is officially doing TNR. I've seen them have quite a lot of cats come in for it. We did just got a momma with four kittens. She's sweet, but they've had a hard time finding a foster for them. They've been at the shelter which they don't like because they can't get their vaccines. We did have an adoption event Saturday (I had to work Saturday evening) and four kittens were adopted out. It does show you the black cat effect though. Two of the kittens were very little, just came in the day before. Cute gray kittens. Adopted for $125. All our black cats were $17 because it had been Black Cat Appreciation Day. The other two kittens were black and white tuxedos who'd been there a while. I helped the lady who adopted one and pushed for them since they did fit what she needed and I wanted them to go home. She was interested in Knox, Keanu's brother, but he's just a little too easily spooked and she has two kids. I would've liked to see him go, but I agree it might've been a bit much for him. I also would've liked to push for an adult as she was open to them, but I'll admit a kitten was probably a better fit with her having two kids, a dog, and another cat. We had one adult who would've been great, but he has FIV and has fought a bit with one other cat. I was really happy to see those two kittens go home though. They've been there for so long. Very sweet, playful, outgoing, confident kittens. Had been with multiple litters of kittens because they kept getting left behind.

I'm still in shock by how much Keanu has changed. He's still a little hissy, especially yesterday, but I think that was partly because of the event. There were more people going in and out that he was used to. He recovers quickly though and is less swatty though still plays rough. I think he'd do best with another playful cat and probably not any young kids, but you almost can't even tell he was feral at this point. I don't know what caused such a change in him though. I was gone for a few days and when I came back it was like a totally different cat.

I also might've gotten someone interested in a little corgi-type dog named Raisin. I went to one of those places you can get frozen yoghurt and add toppings to it. The lady working there said she felt bad for anyone who'd have to work outside the next few days because it's going to be so hot and I mentioned I'll be walking the dogs at work. She said her and her roommate have been considering adopting a small dog, so I told her that we've been getting more small dogs than ever before. They go fast, but we get more in pretty quickly. I mentioned Raisin because he was the first one I could think of we still had and she said he sounds almost exactly like what she wants.

Haha. Guess as long as it's not a problem I'll keep doing it then! I like talking about them, but my mom can't keep up with who's who, so I spend more time reminding her who it is I'm talking about.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwww. I bet Archie is!!! WOW!! AMAZING!!! That is how it can work. Another cat gives the confidence. GREAT JOB with Abby!! Yep, when they rub on you they want to "own" you. AWESOME!!!

Wow, that is great. I hope Odin goes quickly. I hope the foster home is good. Poor Captain. :/ Fingers crossed.

GREAT!!! (on TNR). Awwwww, yes, finding fosters is difficult. That is a great adoption day. I LOVE black cats and tuxedos. I really don't get the whole black cat thing. My girl inside is the sweetest. She was VERY feral and had a tough journey (badly injured) to get inside but did. She bonded with the inside cats but was very feral. Took years to get her to come on my lap. :/ My outside boy is so sweet, and loving and LOVES the other cats in the colony BUT is very protective over them. VERY loyal. I actually have never met a black cat that has been "bad". It is so awesome they found a home!!!

That is so wonderful (Keanu). Well, trust, work, etc. Cats are great judges of character and when trust is built they are so loyal. BUT you have to build the trust. Sounds like you have. He has to find the right home.

COOL!!! GREAT JOB!!! Fingers crossed!!! :)

Yes!!! Keep going!!! :) I am lucky, I can look back if I don't remember. ;)

It sounds like you are really enjoying it. :) It is tough but rewarding too. I think you are seeing the rewards now. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is. There are a lot of cats there right now that I'd take home if I could. I love Archie, his sister Lucy, Felicity, and Edith. I also finally got to pet Raja, one of the most fearful cats at the shelter right now. She's a beautiful cat and very soft. She's always hissed at me whenever I moved the sheet from her hiding spot though, so I'd never touched her. I had to give another cat his meds though and he was hiding by her. That was the first time she didn't hiss at me. There's also this really big gray and white cat named Seamus who is being bullied by one of the fat cats named Cheeseburger. Seamus is super sweet though and has this wonderful, dense coat.

I hope he does too. I don't hear too much about animals in fosters, but we do send out emails with updates on what happened during our shifts, and we usually include all adoptions in those. We have moved Captain back to the main kennels, so I guess we're not as worried about his previous owner trying to get him back now.

I did talk to one of the directors about the ferals in my town and he said he'd see if they could do something, so hopefully we'll get them taken care of. I don't really get the black cat thing either. I mean, I like a range of colors. Archie is a brown tabby with white, Lucy is a tuxedo, Felicity is an orange with white, Edith is a blue tabby, Raja is a tortie point, and Seamus is a blue with white. They all look very different. But they all have their own unique traits. I'm not usually a huge fan of orange cats (nothing against them, just not my preference). I don't typically go out of my way to get one color or another though, even though I do have ones I tend to be more drawn to. And I do tend to be drawn to black dogs. I have met a very angry black cat though... His name is Batman. He's currently at the shelter and not at all fun to take care of. He growls, hisses, and lunges towards you. I don't think that's because he's a black cat though.

Keanu is still changing a lot. Still a bit hissy before breakfast, but other than that not really hissing at all. Not playing at roughly either. He does still spook when you open the cage door though. If it's shut, he's fine. He comes up, sniffs you, lets you touch him, etc., but you open the door and he's gone. The other two will run, but then come back.

Well, Raisin was adopted. Not sure by who though. We got a total of 12 new dogs in three days. Two came from animal control on Tuesday, 7 came from a shelter in another state on Wednesday, and two more from animal control on Thursday. Oh, and a dog was returned. I covered someone else's shift Thursday night, so got to meet all the new dogs. So I think we're at close to 30 dogs in the shelter right now, not including any in fosters. They're also doing $50 adoption fees for dogs through September 5th. I told my mom that's Osiris's Gotchya Day and they must want us to get him a new sibling for his gotchya day. ;) Then I went to the shelter and maybe fell in love with a couple so I came home and told my mom I had a couple of options for his new sibling. Lol. She might not let me go back to the shelter if I keep talking about bringing animals home though. Or might kick me out of the house. One is a 4 month old looks like a shepherd husky mix. Brown with black and white. One brown eye, one blue. Very outgoing, sweet, playful, confident... The other is a small-ish shepherd-y blue merle who's very scared initially, but does warm up. I've only met them once, but I already really like them.

It is very difficult and, honestly, sometimes it feels like even the joy comes with a bit of guilt. Like I shouldn't be enjoying what's really a crappy experience for these animals. And, for as happy as I am when they get homes, that's a bit sad too because I get attached way too easily. But I probably wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it and we need people doing this. I love getting to know the animals.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwww. I know, it is so easy to fall in love with them. :/ I am so glad to hear Raja might be trusting a bit. Fingers crossed!!! Poor Seamus. :/

Yes, I would imagine it is hard to hear about them. That is good about Captain.

That would be great!! I hope so. Yes, In Asia black cats are considered good luck. :/ I like all colors too. Wow, they sound gorgeous. Yes, I just take whoever is next. Regardless of color. I don't know, I love them all. :/ Awwww, Batman. :( Not good. :( And probably because he is scared. It is so sad. :(

Keanu. Awwwwwww. Well, it is a process but it sounds like he is making progress. Just keep working with him (and them). It actually sounds pretty normal. Who knows what has happened when the door ahs opened. Cats have memories too. :/

YES!!! RAISIN!!! Wooooohooooooo!!! Wow. Hopefully the dogs find good homes. I know, it is so easy to fall in love. Hahahaha, yep, your mom may not allow you back!!! ;) Ughhhhhhh, I am in love now too!!! :(

It is difficult. BUT you shouldn't feel guilt. Sometimes we have to struggle to find something good, to hurt to feel love, etc. The alternative would be worse. SO you should be proud. Of course, it is best if every animal always had their forever home but it isn't happening. SO we do what is next best. Finding homes is wonderful!!! If you enjoy it I think it is great. Thinking positive about the positives. Yes, I know, it is easy to get too attached. but is it better than not being attached? I don't know. I think enjoying and being attached means you do a better job. It is a good problem to have to say good bye to a new home rather than the alternative.

I am SO PROUD of you!!! You are doing so wonderfully. It is difficult but you are finding that great balance. There will be ups and downs, happy and sad days, but as long as the overall is new positive I think it is wonderful!! You are helping to save lives!!! Not much better than that!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way too easy. I have a soft spot for the shy/nervous ones too. Nobody ever gives them a chance, but I feel like the relationship you form with those animals is even more rewarding because you have to work for their trust and love. Raja is still very scared of me and I haven't had any time to work with her. This past week was very busy.

Apparently Odin was adopted, but then brought back because he was too energetic for their dog. He's back in foster. We've been getting so many returns lately. Not even the shelters fault, a lot of them were adopted out as puppies and brought back as teenagers. Another was brought back due to allergies.

It's funny how different countries can perceive the same things is such different ways. I look more for the relationship with them. It doesn't have to be immediate. I'm more than happy to work for it, but I just want that relationship with them. Batman is eating, drinking, using the litterbox, etc., so he's not totally shut down with fear or anything. I'm not sure what his history is, but he definitely seems a bit feral.

Definitely a lot of progress. Well, the door is kind of loud to open too. I think he knows you can't really do anything with the door shut so he feels more comfortable. He's vulnerable with the door open. But yes, he's come a long ways. I hope he doesn't end up as a barn cat.

Hopefully and hopefully it's soon because we got some really cute ones that I wouldn't mind taking home. It's easier when they get dogs that aren't really my type (though I still get attached!). I haven't gotten to see the dogs again since Thursday, so I'm actually excited to go to work tomorrow so I can see them. I do really like getting to know the animals. It's so much fun learning about their personalities, what they like, what they don't like, etc. If we had the money and the space my mom would probably let me have too many animals, but she said no more animals until we have a bigger couch.

I definitely want to do what I can to help. If never going to another shelter again meant every animal had a home, I'd take that any day. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss going. Honestly, I miss being there the days I don't work even though I'm there 3-4 days a week. It is an emotional job. Animals come and go, and there's mixed feelings involved in everything. Nothing is straightforward. New animals come in and I'm excited to meet them, sad to see so many without homes, and dreading having more to take care of. Animals go home and I'm happy for them, but sad I won't get to see them anymore.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Yep :/ Me too. I always try to find the animals no one else will take. :/ And they love as much or more than any other. Awwww, Raja. Just do your best when you have time. Hopefully you can build some trust. :)

Ughhhhhhhhhhh. :( I think it is part of the times right now. Humans maybe don't really think, etc. Ughhhhhhhh. :(

SO true. Agreed. And sometimes working for the trust is really rewarding and the bond is stronger. BUT you have to be willing to put in the effort (which many people will not). :/ That is good Batman is adjusting. Yes, hard to know the history. :/

SO great!!! Yes, he should have a home. :/ I HOPE so!!!

:/ SOoooooo tough...................Yes, for me it is small dogs. They might be cute etc but they don't make me pine for them like others. I too LOVE getting to know the personalities!! There is so much to discover!! You actually made me laugh out loud!!! A bigger couch!!! TOO FUNNY!!!! :)

Oh I know!!! SO TRUE!!! That is really good that you can't wait to go back. It is emotional, it is not easy. A LOT of ups and downs. :/ But trying to find that balance, seeing the net positives is really important. And knowing what is realistic and unrealistic. :/ It is hard. I really admire everyone that does that work!! So true, every emotion, so true. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raja, unfortunately, has not let me touch her again. I think she let me pet her before because there was another cat with her. She's still not hissing and has sniffed the end of my glasses, but doesn't want to be touched.

We have a very scared dog named Layla. I'm curious as to who has been able to get hands on her because neither of the guys I worked with this week can get near her outside of her kennel where she knows she's trapped and doesn't try to get away. I'm the only one who can get her back inside when we take her into the play yard and she will let me pet her. I'm not sure if it's a male thing or what because I mostly work with men. She loves scratches behind her ears though and is very sweet.

We've had so many returns. I don't really have any experience with another shelter to know what's normal, but it's hard to believe this is normal. We are literally going to run out of the room because they bring in 12 new dogs in one week and we get 5 returned by the end of the next week. And for some reason they seem to be dogs that were in foster homes. You'd think they'd be easier to place in the proper home. So they take up space in the shelter they weren't even taking before.

Yes, agreed. I'm maybe a bit selfish in that I like having a relationship that no one else has with an animal, so I guess it makes sense I'm drawn towards the shy/nervous/difficult ones. I'm happy to put in the time and effort though I'll admit I'm not entirely used to the ones that actually take a while. A few days maybe, but I was never really around the ones that take weeks or months. Keanu was sort of my first real experience with that and now it looks like Raja will take a while. Oh, but Knox, Keanu's brother, was adopted! So happy to see at least one of them go though I knew Knox would eventually. He was a very handsome blue tabby and really a sweet cat. I'll be even happier to see the other two go.

I'm having a very hard time. There's four dogs I'd like to take home and several cats. I'm not a small dog person (cover your ears, Stella) either. Honestly, a lot of them aren't even very cute to me. The ones that are cute, I like to look at and maybe spend a little time with, but there's not real desire to own them. I don't care for hounds either though there is one named Froto who is quite handsome for a hound dog and very sweet, gentle, calm... I like him. I don't know why he hasn't been adopted yet. He's pretty easy for a hound. Yes, we need more room on the couch. Though there's four (including Osiris) on it with both of us right now and it looks like there's plenty of room to me. We could have two smaller dogs or one big one! ;)

Well, there are some fixed feelings about working too. It's not always a fun job and are parts I don't like or look forward to. I wish I could spend more time one-on-one with the animals. I don't get much time to spend with them and when I do I feel like I should be doing something else. But I didn't expect to enjoy every second of this job and I do love the time I do spend with the animals. I do miss volunteering and getting to pick what I do.

I feel like it's been a while since I've really said much on my animals, but I do have news now. For some reason, the boys have been getting into fights! It's been three times I think? Each time seems to get a little worse. I woke up at 12:30a.m. to them yowling and screaming. Ember is still locked in my room at night, so she's definitely not involved. Came out to tufts of fur everywhere from both of the boys. I have no idea what's going on with them. These cats have been together their entire lives. Over ten years. They've never fought. Not more than maybe the occasional slap, but even that I could probably count on one hand how many times it's happened in ten years.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ok. Just let her initiate and build that trust with her. Give eye kisses if you can safely.

:( Heartbreaking. It probably is men. :/ Awwwwww, poor thing. Hopefully you can help her feel more comfortable. She does sound sweet. It is so heartbreaking what some animals go through. :(

Ughhhhhhhhhh. I wonder if it is just the wrong people wanting to adopt? That more prepared people already are full? Ughhhhhhhh, foster home dogs should be better, easier. :( The challenges of this job. :(

Awwwwwwwww. Maybe. But maybe being attracted to those types of animals come from a selflessness? Because they tend to need more work it takes more effort rather than focusing on yourself solely? I tend to think more self centered people want the "easy" animals. Awwwwwww. Keanu came around quickly it seems. Raja might take a little while BUT you never know. AWESOME!!!! Knox!!! SO great!!! Sounds gorgeous!!!!

:( I know. :( Hahahaha, me neither!!! Stella knows she is loved!!!! I am like you with little dogs. :/ I do kinda like hounds. Not sure why exactly BUT I never had one. OHHHHHHHHH MY!!!! Couch room discussion!!!! ;)

:/ Yep. That is sadly most jobs!!!! :/ Some parts are not fun at all. :( But is is good and a good learning experience. And maybe in time more of your time can be spent on things that are more fun, more "valuable". Especially with your skills with animals. But it does take time............................

:( They might be smelling other animals on your clothes? Maybe not getting enough time with you? Could be animals outside and redirected aggression? So I would really make sure you get your clothes somewhere out of smell. Step up play with them. Try to spend some love time with them (I know it is hard because you are so busy). Feed them together and try to make it as positive as possible and that each feel food secure. Let's see if we can solve it soon.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm not scared of her being dangerous at this point. Even when she corners herself, she doesn't hiss or anything. Just turns her back on me. I'd like for Rowdy (the other cat with her) to go back with her and maybe give her some confidence, but he doesn't hang out where she does that much.

She really is sweet. She's apparently gone to a foster home which is great for her, but I'll admit I've already been missing her.

I don't know what's going on, but we had a dog who came to us as a mother. She raised her pups in a foster home and was adopted. Then she was returned the same day we got the seven other dogs from another state. She was adopted out sometime at the end of last week I think and was returned today for being "too shy."

Normal self-centered people want the easy ones, but I find it more rewarding to have that special relationship. Don't get me wrong, the easy ones have their appeal too. Katie, the shepherd/husky mix, is a super sweet, affectionate pup who gets along with everyone and I do love her. Such a good little dog and it doesn't hurt that she's ridiculously cute. Keanu came around quite suddenly. It was like there was little to no progress for a while and then all of a sudden he completely changed.

I think she does. Stella isn't a normal little dog though. I like sighthounds, not scent hounds. I'm not a fan of droopy faces or floppy ears. Then there's that loud baying, stubborn personality, and tendency to follow their nose above all else. Froto is the only exception as far as scent hounds I like. I have nothing against the other two. They're good dogs. But they don't do well in the shelter environment and we can't seem to get them out of it. You want one? ;)

Yes, definitely a good learning experience. Hopefully I'll get to spend more time with them, but I don't really know if we're wanted to spend time with animals or if they'd rather we find other things to do and leave the socialization to the volunteers. I'd still volunteer myself, but was told that I can't as an employee.

I've been volunteering for years plus worked at the vet before. And I used to always be at my aunt's house who had several dogs and a couple of cats. Me smelling like other animals is nothing new. We've had these cats for ten years. They've dealt with Ember's extremely cat-aggressive mother plus two kittens as well as the addition of two other animals. We've moved houses with them. They've had a couple of other small dogs in the house. They've moved houses with us. Never have they fought like this. I would step up play, but I've been struggling to get them to play at all. For a while, Ember wasn't feeling well due to her thyroid, so I'd pretty much given up on them playing. I was hoping they'd get back into it once she felt better. I bought four new attachments for the wand toy. I can get them to play for maybe a minute or two and it's mostly just Ash. I'm trying. I wish I knew what was starting the fights, but I never see it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, just be cautious. Trust, be calm and confident but aware and cautious. It is a fine balance but knowing when to hang back in good and find that understanding and trust between you both. Yes, but she will come around even without Rowdy. just show her trust and respect and she will give it back to you in time.

Awwwwwww. Very cool!!! Hopefully she finds a great home!!! I know, it is hard to say goodbye. :/

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Is self centered normal????? ;) I agree and I agree with you. Katie............... Awwwww, She sounds wonderful. With Keanu that often happens. The trust just turns on and it then works. Pretty cool, huh? :)

She does ;) No, she doesn't seem like one. Awwwwwwwwww, I can see that. I do kinda like that though. Some can be really darn cute!! Awwwwww Froto might be the door to scent hounds........ ;) Yes, they are not for everyone. :/ I wish.......... :/

Yes. I hope so. Oh, I didn't know that. :/ That is too bad.

Hmmmmmm, any intacts coming around the house? It is something causing it. :/ It is good Ash is playing a little. Keep trying, Make sure you make the toy act like prey, like a mouse, rabbit, bird. Those movements. Think like you are actually the toy/animal. Yes, we always wish. :/ But it is hard to see what happens. Are they eating normally? Using the litter normally? Etc?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course. I'm always watching her body language (except when I'm letting her sniff my glasses because I can't see!). Her language has been uncomfortable, but non-aggressive. She's just so scared. She's been at the shelter for a while, so it's not like she's still decompressing. She's familiar with the area and I've seen her come out early morning or late at night, but she's just terrified of people.

I didn't even get to say goodbye. :( Just read in the email that she'd gone to a foster. Wish I could've fostered her.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. We should know enough about this dog having had her in a home environment and the shelter environment that we should be able to find the right home for her no problem.

It shouldn't be! Unfortunately more normal that I'd like. Katie is a good pup. Though I thought that about Osiris when we got him and he ended up more difficult that I expected. Katie is about the same age he was when we got him. It is cool, but surprising. I thought it would be more gradual. I'm not complaining though. I'm happy to see him feel and act so much better.

Haha. I don't think I'll ever be a scent hound person. I've seen and heard too much about them and they're basically everything I don't want in a dog. Froto is the exception. He doesn't have a very droopy face like a lot of them do and doesn't bark as much. He's also pretty calm and chill. All around, just a sweet, gentle dog.

I didn't either until too late!

Haven't seen any on the camera, but that's not to say there couldn't be. We've certainly seen cats before. That's not anything new either though. As for play, they usually sit with their backs to me and ignore me completely. They just want to be fed. Yes, eating normal, using the litter boxes normally as far as I can tell... I don't know what it is. They aren't very frequent, but even just once is weird for them and the other night was loud. A lot of fur lost.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. I know but just keep doing what you are doing. Hopefully she can warm up then warm up to the right person.

:( :O OH my, foster!!!!! ;)

Yep. :( I do think it is easier said than done sadly. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. A lot of stuff just for some reason doesn't match unfortunately. :(

Hahahaha, AGREED!!! On both. :( She sounds like it. Well, in absolute puppy terms Osiris was really good. Maybe the expectations were a bit high? ;) It is fantastic. I am so glad it was like a switch for him. It does happen. :)

That is ok!! It is good to know what you like, etc. Nothing wrong with being honest. Hahahaha, BUT there is an exception. ;) That is so cool. He sounds wonderful!!!

:( Welllllllll..............................

Hmmmmmmmm. Can you look on the days they did fight? Though sometimes someone sprays so it is smelled not seen. :/ Hmmmmmm. Back to the original posting issue. :( Good they are eating, acting normal. It is something ................... Is it the weather? We just need to wither figure it out or get them so confident they aren't bothered by it. Encounters can happen. Fur flying, that is more rare though. :( Sometimes cats (like humans) have bad days though. Let's try to figure it out and/or solve it. Positive encounters and positive associations are a good way to help (in addition to play). Just do your best.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to find time for her, but it's not easy. I wish I could volunteer. I'd stay a little longer after work or go up on a day I don't work to spend some time with her and the others.

Her foster didn't last long. They brought her back the next day because she wasn't eating and they thought she was sick. The dog is obviously frightened and shut down. She was feeling spunky the other day. No one made sure she took her medication for anxiety the night before and that morning she actually seemed better though she did bark a lot at us in the play yard, but honestly that seems better than being completely shut down. Once she got her morning dose of medication, she was back to being subdued.

We've had a few animals go home, so fingers crossed none come back this time!

Well, yeah, he was good overall. Maybe not high so much as different. He was easy in ways I thought he be difficult and difficult in ways I though he'd be easy. We got a 6-ish month old GSD pup at the shelter and he seems like more of what I'd expect. Energetic, playful, chaotic, but smart, looks to people, more interested in people than dogs, etc. No manners, no training, but I got him to stop jumping on me in two minutes. He did chip a couple of my teeth though! :eek2:

Froto went to a foster home. Seems like every time I think of starting to do something with a dog, they leave! I thought he might be a dog my mom could walk since we usually take Osiris to a park not far from the shelter. We could stop by and get him and go to the park, but nope, he's finally gotten out of the shelter. Good for him though. Couple of other dogs I'd like to work with (the GSD pup and a cattle dog mix) were just brought in and have meets. We'll see if they go home.

Our camera is motion-activated, so it turns on when something goes by but it's limited in what it catches. Sometimes it doesn't turn on or it could be on a different side of the house. I really can't think of anything new/different. They seem to lose fur pretty easily. I've seen Ember swipe at Ash and just catch the outer edge of his ruff yet get a big clump of fur. But there was definitely more than usual with the two boys fighting.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Yes. It isn't easy. Just do your best. Even a little can go a long way.

:( Barking is better than being shut down in my opinion but I guess for some people......................... :/ Such a challenge.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!

Yes, agreed. Sometimes they do surprise us!!! Oh wow, cool. :( OH NO!!! Chipped teeth!!! :(

Oh wow, good for Froto. Well, it is good they go but I know what you mean. I would think the GS would go quickly. Cattle dog? I don't know those.

Yes, cameras are not perfect sadly. Hmmmmm, nothing else different. It might have just been one of those moments that happen in the best relationships. As long as they are acting ok towards each other and it isn't lingering then it probably is nothing. Just do your best to build their confidence and to make them enjoy each other. Relationships are tough sometimes. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll certainly try.

In mine too. I think she'd get over the barking with time. She was very shut down when she came in, so I understand why they put her on the medicine. I just don't think she's making any progress while on it either though.

We seem to be on a roll with getting animals into homes including a few tougher ones. However, one of them, a dog named Brutis, got away yesterday and is currently missing. :( I went looking for him for a bit today, but didn't see him.

Haha, yes, chipped teeth. I was crouched down petting him and he jerked his head around right when I opened my mouth. His teeth hit my teeth. His won.

Yes, good for him. The GSD pup did go home and him getting adopted so quickly honestly worries me. Even in the short period of time I spent with him, I could tell he could be a very good or a very bad dog depending on who adopted him. He was chaotic, energetic, easily frustrated, got nippy with excitement. He needs work and I'm not sure they took the time to find the people who'd give him that. Osiris's friend, Bingo, is a cattle dog. They're Australian cattle dogs to be exact, or they're also called heelers (red and blue heelers). This one looked pretty much like a blue heeler with longer legs. He's going home on Monday.

Well, there's been some intermittent diarrhea over the last couple of weeks and today Frost threw up quite a bit. He had a hairball initially, but then just kept throwing up fluid. He seems to have gotten over it. They're all going to be going to the vet to get updated on vaccines and get checked out.

Osiris gave us quite the scare last Sunday! I got home from work (I work weekends now) and fell asleep on the couch. Osiris had been laying down and jumped up all of a sudden and started pacing. So my mom took him outside and left him out there for just a minute or two. When she went back, he was laying in the tall grass by the fence. She came in to get me and realized he'd dropped a piece of poo on the floor in the house, so then she thought he was feeling guilty about having an accident in the house. Well, we went back out there and he was flat out on his side nearly unresponsive. He'd vomited on his foot and was basically leaking diarrhea. I had to get him up and into the vehicle and we took him to an emergency clinic. They said it seemed like anaphylactic shock and kept him overnight. We got him in the afternoon the next day. He was very tired for the rest of the day and I let him sleep in my room because I felt bad, but he seemed fully recovered after a good sleep. However, this morning he had some more diarrhea even though he's on medication for it and he also didn't want to eat. I got him to eat with some encouragement and then he finished his breakfast, but he was really hesitant. The vet can't get him in until Tuesday, so right now we're just keeping an eye on him. Everything else seems normal.