Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. How long does it take for them to start showing?

Hahahaha. He is smart, he totally trusts. It is absolutely wonderful!!!

Oh yes, you will do great. Yes, we always have some nerves but you will get over them when you get to know the people and the tasks. Totally normal to feel like you do. Awwwwwwwwww, I would too!!!! I LOVE Huskies!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2-3 weeks. Basically just gives us long enough to see if they work before I have to get more. I left the treat in his food last night and he left it on the floor. :ohwell:

He is very sweet. I'm interested to see when he's more mature. He's already so calm and patient. I wonder if that will start showing even more or if he'll stay mostly the same.

I can't believe it's actually happening. I'd probably be more nervous, but it doesn't even feel real. It is starting to become more real though. I love them too. Especially blue-eyed ones! She's very pretty. I've seen pictures of her on their Facebook page.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhh. :/ Yep :/ Ughhhhhhhh, never fails......................

He is amazing. He just knows and loves. It will be interesting, hard to get much better though.

:) That is so wonderful!!! You are going to do great!! Yes!!! Awwwwwwwww, I am sure she is. I am sure you can't wait to see her in person!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been very hectic here... You'll soon know why.

So far covering Ash's medicine in his food seems to work and he's eating it fine.

Ember is scheduled for her bloodwork next Friday.

Monday was my first day working at the shelter. It was... an exciting first day. Barely two hours in I was attacked by a dog. Fortunately, there was another guy there who kicked the dog off. I was bitten pretty badly on my left wrist though (my first dog bite). The vet cleaned it up and then I was taken to urgent care where I had to get one of the puncture ones stitched (my first stitch). I was prescribed an antibiotic (first time on antibiotics) and a high dose of ibuprofen. I was going to go back to work today, but last night my hand got swollen and purple-y. My mom was convinced it was broke, so off to the emergency room we went around 8:30 p.m. There until 2 a.m. No break. Just a traumatic injury with a lot of bruising and needed to give the antibiotic more time to work. They gave my an antibiotic through an IV and finally got to go home.

On top of all that, I got behind on school work and my laptop charger broke. The laptop died. I had to get an old laptop which is very uncooperative, slow, and glitch-y. New charger should be here soon, but I'm struggling a bit with this thing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad Ash is taking his medicine. Hopefully it helps.

Good. Do you notice any difference in her behavior or is it too early?

OH MY!!! :( What happened? What kind of dog? Oh my, it was bad enough to get it stitched. :( Oh my goodness, you had to go back. :( I am glad it is not broken. Yes, the IV antibiotic should get it faster. Wow. Oh, I am so sorry. :(

How are you doing?

Ughhhhhhhh. Great, when it rains it pours. :( You'll get caught up on school.

Oh my. Just get well soon and when you have time let me know. Hang in there!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully.

I'm honestly not sure. Still very hungry for sure. She seems to have some good days where she was getting playful, but it's not consistent. I think she's put on a little weight, but not very much.

We're not really sure what the trigger was. He was a dog I'd met during my working interview and was very sweet. He's kept in a fairly large room that used to be used for meet-and-greets with potential adopters. The guy doing my training went into the room and I came in from behind him to feed the dog and one second he was fine, then the next... not so fine. He was a pit-type. Or maybe more of a staffy? About the same weight as Osiris, but a lot shorter than him. It's draining some gross stuff and we've talked to a few people about what to do since my mom works in the medical care and I even called the urgent care the shelter staff took me too. Everyone says something different. The lady at urgent care said to go back to the ER and I'd likely need more IV antibiotic. My mom's friend used to work in wound care and said it's a good thing that it's draining and just let it get air as much as possible. We're going to see how today goes. I'm supposed to be going back to work Monday.

All things considered, I'm doing alright. The pain is getting better every day. My last dose of Ibuprofen was this morning and I think I'm just going to see how I do without it.

I finally got the charger for my laptop, but am struggling a bit with school. I missed a deadline, but fortunately my teacher let me make it up.

And Stella somehow tore the little pads on her legs. Not sure how. My mom took her out to play in the yard and she stopped suddenly to lick her legs. Then wouldn't get the ball after that which is weird for her as she loves that ball. Sure enough, they were bloody and torn open. Got those cleaned up and they look much better today.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed.

Well, that sounds good. Like progress. I am sure it doesn't happen overnight. Fingers crossed it helps.

:/ It can happen fast without warning sometimes. :( Arghhhhhhhhh. I would keep in touch with the urgent care, etc. Yes, medicine can be more art than science sadly. Keep an eye on it, keep in contact with urgent care, watch your temperature, the swelling, the color, etc. Just make sure you keep an eye on it. :/ I feel just terrible for you. It happens sadly.

That is really good. I am glad you feel ok, are upbeat, etc. I am so glad the pain is better.

That is great you got the charger, hopefully that helps. :( Ughhhhhhhhh. At least the teacher understands. Just keep talking to them and let them know what is going on. Most teachers will understand and hopefully yours will. It isn't like you are trying to scam them. A lot is going on. :(

Ughhhhhhh, I HOPE that is the end of the bad luck. Poor Stella. :(

It really sometimes is like that. But just keep fighting and try to stay positive and just focus and get things improved and try to check things off the to do list. You'll find you are capable of handling more than you think. Life is full of twists so being able to handle everything is really important. I know you can do it!!

Hang in there, it will get better!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but the differences are so minor it's hard to tell if they're even there. At this point, I'm pretty certain she's put on weight. You can feel it more picking her up than by feeling her bones though. She's still very bony.

Yes, we're cleaning it a couple times a day, watching the swelling, checking my temperature, etc. Our biggest concern is trying to give it air without getting fur and dirt in it. Osiris wants to be involved in everything, of course, and tries to sniff it. I think we thought it was worse than it actually is. It keeps oozing a fluid and my mom thought it was infected, but from what I've read this drainage is normal and pretty much what keeps it from getting infected. We knew something would happen eventually with me working around animals, but it just had to be on my first day, just had to be this bad of a bite, and it just had to be a pit-type. My mom seemed to be finally letting go of some of her misconceptions about pits, but this has just brought all that back. But as I told her, I've been volunteering there for several years, so it's not like it was my literal first day there that I got bit. I've gone quite a while without any serious injuries.

Honestly, I would've expected the pain to be worse. It's not fun, but it's bearable and the pain really has let up pretty quick. I'm sure ibuprofen has helped with that, but I haven't taken it in a little bit now.

It's been tough, but I think I'm getting caught up.

Me too. Fortunately, she seems to be doing okay. Wish I knew what happened though. Not like she's been playing in the road or anything.

Probably the hardest thing is just deciding what to do about my job and how to feel about it. I'm surprised my mom was at all okay with me going back, but she's gone back and forth on it a lot. It's my choice, but I do take my mom's opinion seriously and it wouldn't do us much good if she couldn't focus on her own job because she's worried about me at mine. But I don't see how I can just walk away from it when I've always wanted and planned on getting into rescue work. I feel like if I walk away now, I might as well just give up on those plans.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is hard. That is great though if you think she has. She probably has.

Great. Yes, it is hard to keep it clean. And of course dogs want to lick it etc. :/ Ahhhhh, yep, Osiris is acting like I would expect. :/ Sniffing isn't as bad as trying to lick. :/ That is good. ANd it would be red and really inflamed and getting worse I would suspect. Just keep in contact with the urgent care, doctor, nurses etc (as much as you can). Get well soon!!!

I know. :/ Moms are moms. :/ It is normal for her to worry, etc. When you love we get overprotective etc. We just want what is best. Once she gets over the shock she'll be able to think more clearly. Just try to understand her perspective.

That is great. Whew. No, it is not fun. :/ I am just glad you are doing better. Just rest, take good care of it, keep in touch with the medical professionals etc.

GREAT!!! I knew you would. You can do anything you put your mind to!!!

:/ I am glad she is doing better. I know, it just happens. Who knows what causes it. But it sounds like you are taking good care of it. Poor thing. :/

It is hard. I am impressed your mom is ok with you going back. She will go back and forth a lot. And we always worry about our kids. :/ No, we don't want her stress to be so high she can't focus on her job. Talk it over with her and think it through yourself. And talk to your boss and explain the concerns. Because you need to be focused and not distracted as well. I disagree (a rarity for us!!!!).You can walk away and still get into rescue work. Life is not so rigid. Sometimes it is not the right time at the time. President Biden ran for president before and didn't win but became president later on when the time was right. BUT if you feel like you can handle it now and your mom can trust and you al can be willing to give it another try then you can try and if it doesn't work then look for another time. Just talk it through, think about it, communicate, etc. I KNOW you and your mom will make the best decision and your opportunities in the future will not be limited whatever decision you make. So try not to put too much pressure on yourself and this decision. Just try to make the best decision possible. You have a long life with so many roads to travel that this decision will not permanently impact your future. You will make the right and best decision and I know you will be just fine whichever path you decide to take.

Hang in there and get well and let me know what you decide. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely putting on weight. She doesn't look like she weighs nearly as much as she feels though.

I'm sure he would lick it if given the chance. We try to keep him away from it. He still manages to bop his nose into it while I'm walking sometimes though. It's normally covered, but it hurts! The redness and swelling is getting better. The draining got really bad yesterday, but seems better now. The pain is even better today than it was yesterday. I'm a bit worried about overdoing it because it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Oh, I understand, it just makes me worry too. Every time I make my decision, she makes me question it and I doubt myself enough as it is.

Well, my mom would much rather I didn't go back, but she is letting me make the decision. Thank you. I needed to hear that. Even though I've still decided to go back and try again, there was a lot a lot of pressure of needing to go back because this is the life I chose for myself. I figured if I couldn't handle a bite now, I wouldn't be able to handle it later. That I needed to be prepared to handle this and jump back into the work to be able to do it in the future. I'm still not completely sure how I feel about working here, but everyone is so nice and I want the experience. Plus I really don't want to let any fear or anxiety around dogs grow. Today was my second day back and right now I'm mostly working the with the cats.

I don't have much time right now what with work and school, so didn't respond to everything. My replies might be a bit short for a while. It's a new routine to get used to.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great. It must be working? I know, they can look differently. My one girl weighs a lot more than she looks. It is interesting. Must be muscle?

Hahahaha, yep. :/ They like to try to help clean and heal the wounds. Yes, best to keep him/them away from it. Yep, they do tend to bump it etc. :( Yep, always hurts. :( Never fails...................... Oh great, that is great to hear. Sounds like it is getting a lot better. Just keep an eye on it. But I am so glad to hear it is getting better. :)

Yes. It is actually a good learning experience. We don't always like someone "pushing back" BUT it really does help us make better decisions. And learning to deal with doubt will help in the future. I know it is hard when we are in the middle of it but it really is helpful in a lot of ways.

That is really good she trusts you to make the decision. It is hard. We always want our kids to be safe, to not move away, etc. Hahahahaha. Learning how to let go a bit and trust and accept decisions is a good step in the maturation process. It is even harder on her than it is for you. It is just the part of being a part that loves that child. :/ It isn't easy BUT it is great she trusts you. Yes, I don't think you should be putting pressure on yourself because of the belief that this is the only way to move forward for the future. Now, if you don't feel safe or comfortable or don't feel like it is best for your mom etc then those are fair concerns. Yes, even if you couldn't handle a bite now that does not mean at all that you couldn't handle one in the future. People learn, people mature (even though you are amazingly mature for your age). You will only be more intelligent, reasoned, confident, rational, etc in the future as you age so that is something I would not worry about at all.

"That I needed to be prepared to handle this and jump back into the work to be able to do it in the future." - Yes, it is understandable you felt like that but that is why it is good to talk it over with people that understand, that have gone through it, etc.

" I'm still not completely sure how I feel about working here," - What are your concerns? It is understandable, sometimes it is not the right place, not the right time, etc.

"but everyone is so nice and I want the experience." - Yes but you have to also want to be there. And if it isn't something you want now that doesn't mean in a year it will be the same. I know it is hard but again, your decision now will not have an impact on your future so I think you should chose what you think is best for you now. You can always get in in the future. There will always be a need for great people for rescue work.

" Plus I really don't want to let any fear or anxiety around dogs grow." - Agreed. And there is a learning experience that happens. Understanding when caution is warranted etc. understandably the balance between caution and fear and anxiety and the causality.

I am sure it was traumatic. So understanding your emotions, thinking through the situation, etc can be helpful. Just be honest with yourself and talk to as many people as you can about it.

Anytime we deal with animals there is risk. Learning about signs, understanding behavior etc takes some time. I would go out with new people and I would see them be ok then struggle when something would get "out of the ordinary". And understanding how to de-escalate a situation (if possible) is important to learn.

I know you are too smart and too mature to not get over this. It may take time and some work but I know you will get over it. Learning that a little caution but finding the balance without fear etc is a big step. With experience and time I think you will find that.

"Today was my second day back and right now I'm mostly working the with the cats." - How are you feeling? Just keep that mindset of "anything can happen" BUT find that balance between caution but not feeling fear or anxiety. That calm and confident mindset can go a long way in calming an animal.

And I would talk to the people at the rescue and also to the person that went in with you when the dog bit. Try to understand what happened. I do think the more knowledge and understanding we have the better protected we are.

"I don't have much time right now what with work and school, so didn't respond to everything. My replies might be a bit short for a while. It's a new routine to get used to." - That is totally fine, absolutely understand. I do not want to add stress to you. So if you need to "talk" just post. No need to respond to everything. :)

You are going to be just fine. You are way more intelligent than I ever was and more mature so if I could do it I know you can. :) This is just a chapter in the learning process book of life and it will make you better, stronger, more prepared for the future. You'll do great!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, seems to be. I wonder how long until she stops acting like she's starving to death though. Her vet appointment was today and she's gained 3/10 of a pound. Doesn't sound like much, but she does feel quite a bit heavier. They're supposed to call me about her test results.

Yes, Osiris is a bit obsessed with it. Especially if it's uncovered. He'll follow my arm around trying to sniff it. Doesn't hurt much anymore though. And the vet removed the stitch for me today.

I don't mind hearing her opinion and understand where she's coming from, but it is difficult when she brings it up several times. Then I have to reconsider it all over again.

I'm going to start helping with dogs again next week I believe. I'm excited, but nervous to get back into helping with them. I'm still a bit worried about injuring my arm though it seems to be doing alright. I don't really know what other job I'd get anyway. I don't want to be miserable with a job I hate, but the only ones I want to have are animal related and anything animal related comes with risks. That's not something I can really get out of. I think we're both feeling better about it, but I am still cautious.

I think I'm mostly just worried about there being some lingering fear/anxiety that the wrong dog picks up on and I end up in another bad situation. I know being calm is best, but sometimes knowing that just makes me less calm.

I've always wanted to be there. It's just that I have a lot of conflicting emotions right now. There's been a negative association there that's stuck in my head and I can only hope it'll fade away with time and more positive ones. But I've always wanted to work there and I want the experience.

Yes, I always knew something was likely to happen eventually. Just thought it would take a while. I want to learn more about their body language and signals, but unfortunately that does require taking some risks until I do.

I'm feeling fine for now. I've only worked with the cats so far and there's not a whole lot of interacting with them. It takes all morning to get the cages cleaned, their food and water filled, and the litter boxes cleaned and changed out. There is one little kitten there that I love, but there's something wrong with his front legs. The first day, he was fine. Followed me around while I cleaned his cage and purred when I petted him or held him. Then yesterday he just laid there and looked at me. When I picked him up to move him, he flopped over when I set him down. We don't know what's wrong with him. Or didn't know as of when I left yesterday. I'm curious to know what's going on.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. Hopefully soon. That is good she gained that much. It will be interesting to see how the results come in. Fingers crossed.

Yes, they will do that. :/ GREAT the stitches are out!!! Did the doctor say it is healing well?

Yes. She only does it because she loves you and want what is best for you. I know what you mean though, it can make us question BUT I do think that helps to make the best decision.

That is great. Yes, nerves are normal. Just use appropriate caution. Yes, we don't want you to reinjure it. If you are not ready just let them know. Exactly, you want to enjoy what you do. Every job has risks, just different ones for the most part. You have great instincts so trust them and learn from this and while you go along. If you sense something is not right just take your time, etc. I am glad you both feel better about it. Caution is good. When we aren't a bit cautious bad things can happen. Of course too much can be bad so just find that balance. And ask them questions, they are glad to help I am sure.

Yes, that is normal. If you feel fear or anxiety then just take a step back. It really is more art than science. A lot of times it is the body language more than the emotions. And ask them how they handle it. I know you will figure it out. It is scary at times so learning how to handle it is really important. And just realize if you are sensing something risky then just pull back. Watch how you interact etc. And ask them questions.

That is great. Yes, that is understandable. Talk to the person that was with you when you were bitten, get their honest opinion as to what went wrong. And learn. I think you will be able to handle it and understand the real risks etc. There is nothing wrong to be afraid or nervous it is how we handle it that matters. I deal with ferals all the time and I get scared sometimes but that fear keeps me safe as long as it doesn't take over me. It is a balance that is learned. I think you will learn it.

Yes, things happen sadly. Anytime we are dealing with animals the risk is there. But we have to stay smart and alert and that caution tends to keep us safer. Yes but taking some "smart risks". So understanding when to stand your ground and when to de-escalate etc. It really is art. But you are smart and aware I am sure you will learn.

Good. Awwwwwwwww, sweet kitten. Poor thing, I wonder what happened? Let me know when you find out.

You sound good. I am happy to hear it. It is traumatic but you are doing well it seems. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ember's thyroid is still a bit high, so we're increasing her dose to 1 tablet every 12 hours instead of 1 every 24 hours.

Well, I didn't actually see a doctor. I had the vet take it out when I brought Ember up there. I'm supposed to see my doctor Tuesday, but I think it's looking good. The one that had the stitch is finally closed up and scabbing over. The other scabs are starting to come off.

I just question everything so much as it is. I'm not sure I really need that much help.

Yeah, no one has been pushing me into anything. I was asked if I wanted to start working with dogs again and when I felt I could. I think I'll be fine. I think it's mostly just me being nervous about possibly being nervous. We took Osiris to the dog park today and met a number of other dogs. He got to play with his friend too. It all went really well and I was around several dogs of various sizes that I wasn't familiar with.

I'm going to have to hope they rely more on my body language. That I can control. It's hard to control the nerves. But I'll be starting with smaller, easier dogs for the time being. I definitely want to learn. I want to be able to work with the animals. I think I just get myself worked up over the "what ifs" too much. I need to stop worrying about worrying!

We stopped by the shelter today after going to the dog park to set up a bird feeder for the cats to watch. I asked about the kitten, but they don't really know what happened. The vet checked him out and didn't find anything obvious. He's alert, eating, no fever... It's weird though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Well, that is good. Must have helped a little though?

Ahhhhhh. Oh that is good, I am glad it looks good!!!

Yes. Understandable. Do you think maybe you made a faster decision this time? It sounds like you really thought it through and came to a conclusion quickly. Pretty good.

That is good. And you gave them the timeline you think is good? Ahhhh, yes, to quote President Kennedy "The only thing to fear is fear itself". But we all do it but I think you are handling it very well. Oh great!!! Yes, that is a good test. Sounds like you did well. Was it Dingo or someone else?

Body language is important in my experience. Yes, it is hard to control nerves BUT we do get better at it as time goes by. That is good you'll start with those dogs and gain experience and confidence. Yes, and since you want to learn you will. :) It really is about desire. And I know if you want something you can achieve it. We all do. It is a learning process. We can have a plan but often times it has to be flexible and experience helps in adapting to changes in the plan. Just try not to expect too much and keep learning and doing your best. I know you can do it. :) We all need to learn to stop worrying about worrying. ;) But if we try to improve we can improve. The key is to know when something is an issue and try our best to make it better. I know you will. :)

:/ Hmmmmmmm. That is good. Let's hope it doesn't happen again!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it seems to have.

Well, I had to make a decision somewhat quickly since I needed to let them know at work. Sometimes I still go back on my decision though.

Yeah, my arm isn't hurting very much anymore so I think I'll be okay to start with the dogs. Hard to know until I try it though. Yes, it was Dingo though apparently I got her name wrong and it's actually Bingo. Oops. She and Osiris are now following each other on Instagram and I posted pictures of them playing on there as well. He also met a standard poodle and a small-medium mix breed, but he didn't really care about any other dogs except Bingo. He's just attached to her.

Yes, the confidence is something I definitely need. It kind of makes you question things when you get bit by a dog on your first day working there. I'm going to have to get to where I know I can handle myself around them again. I think with a bit of time working with easier dogs I'll get that confidence back and be fine. Some of that worry will go away with that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great. Hopefully it helps even more.

Yes, that makes sense. We always second guess etc so that is normal. And you will be getting a better sense each new day.

That is good, I hope it is healed enough to start when you want to. Well, Osiris should give a good indication if you are ready (though he does behave a lot better). :/ I Liked the name Dingo. Oh well. :/ Awwwwwwww, I need to go to the instagram page again!! I forgot. :( Hahahahaha, too funny. He only has eyes for Bingo!!!! ;)

Yes, we all do. Even now after all these years I still need to work on it. We never get full confidence I think and maybe it is good because it keeps us aware and on our toes. Yes, first thing is a challenge BUT you will know if you can get over it. I think you will. Yes, agreed, totally agree. You have the right attitude and I think that is most important. If you want you can do it, I am pretty sure of that. BUT always be honest and if it is something then you can try later as well. The great thing is, there are many avenues you can take to get what you want.

Hang in there. I know you will find the best decision. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been really busy... I think I'm going to have to ask to cut down my hours at work. I was hoping I could manage four days, but it's a lot. I work on school until dinner and then get ready to go to bed.

My arm is much better though. Almost no pain and most of the scabs have come off. It's funny how it looked so bad for so long and then all of a sudden it's almost completely healed.

I've gotten back to working with the dogs. Was kind of thrown into it a bit faster than I expected because we've had people not at work. I worked Monday evening instead of the morning and then Wednesday and Thursday one of the guys who usually works with me was out sick, so there were only two of us to do everything for the dogs. Plus it's been so hot that we haven't been doing playgroups as much which means walking every single dog.

While Osiris isn't perfect on a leash, he's much better than most of the dogs at the shelter. Even the ones a third of his size pull more than him. But I've been managing well enough. Yes, I liked the name Dingo as well. Better than Bingo, anyway, but oh well. He really does only like her. He's fine with the other dogs, but they just might as well not even exist.

I've been getting better about being around the dogs. Everything is so fast-paced that there's not much time to dwell on any anxieties. Most of the dogs are very friendly though there is one who acts like he's going to kill you... I'll admit, it's a bit intimidating walking past him even knowing he can't get to me. He just has a look in his eyes that he doesn't even need to make a sound, but then he's sure loud on top of that! He's a fairly small dog too... But I met him out in the play yard and he was perfectly friendly, so it's just in the kennel in seems. Even the other staff are cautious about how and when they handle him though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ I figured. Bummer, well, just do your best. Hopefully you can cut back a bit.

GREAT!!!! I am so glad to hear that!!!

Oh my. Wow. I hope the person out doesn't have Covid. :( Be careful this delta variant is scary. :( Wow, you are really busy. It sounds like being busy might help you a bit? No time to be too scared?

That is great. He really is good in every way. Even some trained dogs pull. :( Your arm must be doing pretty well. That is good. Yep, Dingo but "oh well". :/ He is too funny!!!

Ahhhhhhh, THAT is what I figured above. Sometimes being really busy can help. BUT just make sure you stay aware. We can get sloppy and not be as careful as we should be. Yes, sometimes there are dogs that are really scary. :( Yes, it is intimidating. Yep, I know what you mean "that look". Oh, he isn't that big? Sometimes the little ones are REALLY SCARY. I think sometimes when they are little they have a chip on their shoulder and have to be meaner to deter. :/ WOW!!! He was friendly in the play yard?!?!?!?!?!?! Ok, he doesn't like the kennel. Some are like that. Maybe they had a bad memory in a kennel. :( Trauma can cause a lot of issues. It is sad. Yes, it is good to be cautious. There is that balance, cautious but neutral (confident, etc not sure the exact word but I know the feeling). if that makes sense.

Wow, it sounds really interesting. I am sure you are learning a lot. Really cool!!!

Hang in there. Just do your best and figure out the right work/school/personal balance. Just post when you can. Be safe. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment and not spending as much time taking care of the animals as I'd like. Osiris has taken to chasing his tail almost obsessively. We did go back to the dog park today. Bingo was there and he also met a new dog, a six month old pup adopted from the shelter. This was the first dog Si has shown interest in even with Bingo there. He was still obsessed with her, of course, but I was surprised to see him interact with the puppy at all. They had fun running around. Osiris face planted a few times trying to keep up with Bingo.

Pretty sure he does, indeed, have Covid. I've only gotten bits and pieces of the story though. Apparently there's two of us at the shelter not vaccinated. All other staff as well as the main volunteers are. I think being busy, in some ways, does help, but this is becoming a bit too much. It can help me avoid some stress, but too busy causes it's own stress.

Not my dogs. I hate pulling. Drives me crazy. Yes, doing pretty well.

Yes, sometimes I have to remind myself to not rush through things too much. I have a reason to be cautious, so I can take my time. But I don't want to take too long because I know I'm going to be slow anyway and we haven't had enough people to do all the work. I think the only thing that still makes me a bit nervous is walking into an actual room with a dog. The kennels aren't so scary because the dogs can come up and sniff me before I open the door. But Ozzy is kept in an actual room that was used for meet-and-greets and we have a few others kept in similar situations.

Yeah, they've had dogs act like that, but this one just feels different. It's that look in his eyes. Most of the others have had the act down, but not that look. And the staff have never been particularly cautious about those dogs like they are with him. No, he's not very big. He looks like a pit bull, but miniature. Probably in the 30-40lb range and just because he's so muscular. He nibbled my fingers in the play yard. Gently, of course.