Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indeed. We are, slowly but surely, making progress.

I honestly wouldn't mind if he was less interested. He gets quite excited about people coming in and it gets difficult managing him and Stella. My brother seems to bring out the worst in Si and I'm not sure why. He gets very mouthy and pushy with him.

Me either. Not a bad thing, but it was surprising.

People tend to think GSDs are bigger than they are. We do tend to breed for bigger dogs too. In America, there tends to be a "bigger is better" mindset. So it's getting more common to find 90lb+ GSDs. There are even "giant" Alaskan malamutes which are already big dogs! My cousins have a massive GSD. Very fat too though. I couldn't believe how fat he'd gotten last time I saw him. If what they said was true, then he must've been around 160lbs or more at that point. He was 140lbs and still overweight, but even at a good weight I'm guessing he'd 110-120lbs. I think Si must've noticed I was getting my hopes up. I kind of had a feeling he'd start throwing up again after coming off the Pepcid, but he went so long I was thinking maybe he wouldn't after all. Yes, those ghost cats. They get into our dishes sometimes too. Scared everyone yesterday because something fell. I was expecting a cat to be the culprit, but they were all in the living room with us and just as startled!

Lol. Yeah, they're all good-lucking dogs. Si is still one of the tallest dogs I've met though! The only ones taller than him that I personally have met are my cousins' GSD and three great danes.

Well, the vet is hoping it is her thyroid because he knows how to treat that. If it isn't then we're kind of stuck because he doesn't know what else could cause this. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. There's medication for it, but the problem is they usually need a higher dose after three or four years and the higher dose causes side effects. Then you end up a cat that's sick from the medication. It isn't much of a problem with senior cats because they're at the end of their life span anyway, but Ember is so young that she'd still have several good years ahead of her. There's a treatment that's 90% successful as a cure so she wouldn't need any medications, but it's expensive.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)

Yes. He seems very social. Does he want to play with your brother? Does your brother kinda play with him?

Agreed. Really interesting. It is so fascinating to learn about them.

Yes, agreed. Interesting. I remember when I was young they were not so big. That is very interesting. Oh my, that is really big. :/ Poor Osiris. :( Interesting you thought he might start again. Yes, ghost cats are everywhere!!! Did you have an earthquake? Sometimes we don't stack as well and it eventually slips.

They really are. Is he really? I tend to like taller GSs. It is hard to see the context of his height. :/

Ughhhhhhhh. :( That is a challenge. No real good answer it sounds. :( Well, let's see. She doesn't seem too bad right now?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he does want to play. My brother probably would, but I won't allow it. I wasn't there for their first meeting, unfortunately, so don't know how that went. My brother is overall a calmer, less enthusiastic person so I don't know exactly why Si reacts the way he does.

It is.

Yeah. I'll admit to liking big dogs, but not at the cost of their health. GSDs weren't meant to be giant dogs, so they often don't handle the weight very well. I feel bad for my cousin's GSD. It was sort of a gut feeling, I guess. Considering he stopped after being putting on the Pepcid, there was a pretty good chance of it. No throwing up this morning though. No earthquake that I felt. It wasn't the first time we've had mysterious shifting of the dishes. Or some unexplained noise when all the animals were in the room with us.

Yes, it is. I don't tend to think of him as a very big dog until I realize he's one of the biggest height-wise I've seen. Not so large when it comes to weight. Ronan is apparently almost 70lbs, so not much lighter than Si yet way shorter than him. Si is filling out, but he's still mostly legs.

No, no good answer. Overall, she isn't terrible, but she's not going to handle the winters very well if she loses more fur and she definitely can't lose any more weight. I wouldn't say she's emaciated yet, but she is thin. And she'll end up killing herself eating something she shouldn't. Something definitely needs to be done, but I don't know what.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I figured. Hahahaha, yes. Hmmmm, sometimes they just like someone, they can sense something interesting.

Yes. Animals are fascinating.

Agreed. Yes, weight is hard on the body. :/ Yes, your thinking makes sense. YES!! No throwing up this morning!! Fingers crossed it continues. Interesting, well, houses do settle so it could be something like that. :/ And then there are the "ghost cats". ;)

Ronan is almost 70lbs?????? I did not see that. :/ Maybe his bones are heavier? Osiris looks filled out in the pics.

:/ My oldest is thin. No health issues, happy, etc but I call her my "model" because she is thin. Maybe that is just her way? But the fur............................. Yes, not good if she would eat something bad for her. Can you step up her food safely? Especially wet food? It is a challenge, I wish I had the answer. :( Poor thing. She is such a sweet cat.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does get excited with other people, but he doesn't act up like he does with my brother. Just immediately getting mouthy and bite-y. It's quite weird how one person can be treated so differently by a dog.

They are indeed.

It really is. Still no more throwing up. I talked to the vet about it and he said wait for now. If he vomits again in the next week or two then get him back on the Pepcid. I think I'm going to keep blaming the ghost cats.

I know. I was surprised when she said that. Funny how two dogs can be a similar weight and be nothing alike in build. Osiris should continue filling out for the next year-ish, so I doubt he's done. He's still quite leggy.

Ember is a slender cat. Not meant to hold much weight, I don't think, but her appetite has definitely increased and that's dangerous for an already highly food motivated cat. Her food has been increased, but I don't think it really matters. I could give her the whole 12oz can and she'd probably still think she was starving to death. The test results came back and it was still high end of normal, so now we're running a different thyroid test but probably won't get the results until Tuesday.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But play mouthy bitey, right? Sometimes dogs can sense "fun" and lose a bit of control. :/

:) YES!!! I am dealing with an intact feral coming into my colony. Arghhhhhhhh. He will NOT get trapped, very trap savvy. Watching the interactions and trying to interact with him is something. I have seen a lot of these and dealt with them but this one is a bit different. Would rather not have that kind of "fascinating" but it is fascinating. :/

Oh good, fingers crossed. Let's hope it as just the heat or eating too fast etc. Exactly, me too!!

Yes. I think it is a density of the bones. But I am surprised, did not expect that. You think so? Wow, he might be really big then. Yikes

Yes, I think mine as well but she comes from thicker cats so mine is kinda odd. Hmmmm, her appetite has increased. Is it across the board or just for certain things? Do you think she got into a food insecurity thing because I think you did try to get her to lose weight at one point? Her metabolism might be really high? Hmmmm, high side of normal but still in the normal range. That sounds ok but......... Will be interesting to see the other test. Hmmmmmmm, it is so tricky. I wish they could tell us what is going on. :/ Your vet is good though so hopefully they can figure it out.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started typing this the other day and forgot I didn't finish it. :doh:

Yes. I don't really know why my brother would be fun though. He's a calm person. Not very enthusiastic or outgoing. He likes Si more than the other animals, but he's not one of those people that's all over the animals wanting to pet them either.

He's a smart one. Not good for you, but it's good to be smart when you're living outside. It is interesting how different they can all be and how their behaviors differ. You can learn a lot from the more difficult animals though. If you managed to catch him then you'll probably have some more tricks to use in the future.

I hope so. So far so good.

I didn't either. I've never raised a dog before, so can't say I have experience with how long it takes for them to fill out but that's what I've read. Yeah, he's going to be bigger than I expected. Already is, honestly. I didn't think I'd end up with such a big dog.

I don't know much about Ember's family. Her mom wasn't as slender as she is, but not a particularly large cat either. I never saw much more than her dad's tail to know he looked like and I haven't seen her brother since he was a kitten. She eats everything now. She eats more things than she used to. She's taken watermelon and fruits. She's eaten tissues, napkins, paper towels, the corner of a sponge... She was food driven before, but this is ridiculous. I haven't heard from the vet yet though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, I do that more than I care to admit!!!!

Si must sense he likes him. Sometimes some animals just gravitate towards certain people. It is interesting, isn't it?

Yes. Especially all the predators here. :( So true, they are different, unique. This one is something. Yes, I will learn (hopefully soon) from him. He is a stress right now. :(

Whew, FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Well, each dog is different as well. Sometimes we think they will be like this and they end up like that. :/ I just wonder if he didn't fill out earlier because of his issues he was having. He is gorgeous. Oooooooooo, I like them big!!! :)

:/ Does she take the fruits because you have them (or she thinks you will)? Or your mom? Do you think it might be hunger or could pica be considered? My girl loves anything I have. :( Hmmmmmmm. Will be interesting to see what the vet thinks.

Never a dull moment with animals................................. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even remember why I stopped typing my response to begin with.

It is interesting. I'm used to being the favorite. Lol. Stella has had her people that she really likes too, but none of them have made her act up like that.

Yeah, at least he has a good chance of survival. That'll give you time to catch him. ;) And you'll be prepared for any more like him in the future.

Osiris threw up again, so he's on the Pepcid. It was weird because Monday night while I was playing with him he just suddenly started licking his lips. At first I thought he had something stuck in his mouth, but when I went to open it, it was really wet. He was drooling terribly and would not stop licking his lips. So I thought he was going to throw up because he's done that before, but he never did. Then last night, again while playing with him, he did end up throwing up.

Yeah, they're definitely all different. Don't know why he'd would've filled out that early though. He should've only just begun. And he is still quite leggy. I am cutting back his food because I don't want him getting fat and he's kind of right on the border of where I want him to be. I love them big too, but they don't tend to do as well in agility so I was a bit torn on whether or not I really wanted a big dog. Especially since we have a small house.

My mom handed her the fruit. We've offered her fruit before though and she's never eaten it. She definitely acts hungry. Very crabby around meal times and you should hear her meow at me like she might drop dead if I don't give her her food quick enough. We got the results back on her thyroid and still high end up normal, so vet thinks she is becoming hyperthyroidic. I'm picking up some meds when I go to work tomorrow.

Nope.

Oh, and I got a job at the shelter I've been volunteering at. Well, I'll be starting the 21st. It's a bit sad leaving my current job, but it's exciting to get more hands-on work with animals.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, it does happen!!!

Yes, I know what you mean. It might be a male thing as well. I still think you are his fave, no doubt about that!!! :)

I hope he does. I just hope he didn't drive (or kill) any of my existing colony. :( It is hard. Yes, I will learn more from this. I thought I saw it all......................... :/

Ughhhhhhhh. Yep, they do that sometimes. The play might have shaken things up. :/ Interesting he didn't throw up the first time. Make sure you let the vet know it was during/after play that he threw up. I have had dogs that would do that (for whatever reason).

Yes, true. Is it really too early? I thought he looked really good. Yes, the bigger they are the less agile. :/

Awwwwwwwwww. Makes sense. Yeah, when she got cut back she might have gotten a bit insecure. I have seen that before. :/ High side of normal. Arghhhhhhhh, poor thing. Hopefully the meds help.

Nope :/

Oh my!!! Will you lose your discounts? That is nice to get more hands on work though. It is always hard to make changes but you sound happy so that is great!!! I am sure the vet will miss you. :( Congratulations!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Si does seem to favor men slightly, but not much. He tends to be cautious of anyone outside and friendly to everyone inside. We haven't had many people inside to make much of a comparison though.

Yeah, that would be bad. Hopefully he doesn't cause any problems with the existing cats and you catch him soon!

It was weird. It's honestly easier to give him a pill once a day than to have to give him a special diet and worry about what he's eating all the time though, so might not be such a bad thing if he has to be on the Pepcid and can eat normally.

Usually first year is growing in height and second year is growing in width. He's only 2 months into his second year, so I'd say it's a bit early, yes.

I do hope so, but at the same time I'm a bit of afraid if it does. I don't know what we're going to do if she can only be on the meds for a few years.

The most important thing is Si's food (which I'm hoping he won't have to stay on) and I can get the discount on that as a shelter employee too. I don't really get much else in discounts other than a small percentage off medications and I'll be earning a lot more at the shelter since it's a somewhat higher pay and a lot more hours. My vet does give me a lot of stuff for free especially since I can sometimes bring them into work with me and don't even need an actual appointment. But I just don't work very many hours at the vet and the shelter will give me the experience that I need. I'm nervous because it's a lot of work and I'm scheduled to work 4 days, but the manager said if it was too much then to let her know. It's going to be difficult for a while, but I think it'll get better as I get used to it and then it'll be worth it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. Yes, that is very normal since he probably senses you are accepting the people inside. Really smart dogs are like that.

Yes. Hopefully. He wasn't around last night. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Well, it does happen and sometimes it is nothing. But with his history. BUT after play. So many variables, could be nothing or a little something. But doesn't sound that bad. Yes, the pill is a lot easier. Hopefully it could be that simple. Fingers crossed.

Ahhhhhhhh. Yes. Makes sense.

Yes. It is so hard. How old is Ember? I forget. Is she 8 or 9?

Oooooooo, THAT is good!!! Well, that is good overall. Yes, there are tradeoffs. Just make sure you leave on a good note. Having a good relationship with a vet is really important. Don't be nervous just do your best and if it is too much (hours) just work it out with them. I know you can handle it but if it is too much just be honest and try to work something out. You will be just fine!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's definitely a different reaction. We've only really had two men and a woman inside though, so it's hard to tell if he favors males over females.

Oh, yeah, that probably causes some mixed feelings.

He's never thrown up during play like that before. He's had some diarrhea today. Not sure if he just has to readjust to being on the Pepcid or what. He's a problem. Always something with him.

She's 7. Just started her meds last night. The vet said it could take a couple of weeks. Then we'll retest her thyroid to see if it's normal.

Yes. My boss congratulated me, so I don't think there's any hard feelings. I wasn't sure how flexible the shelter would be with the hours. They were looking for a full time employee and I couldn't do that, but the manager pretty much let me choose my own hours. 7 hours 4 days a week is a lot more than I'm used to working and it's all on your feet. I think I'll be fine once I adjust though. It'll be fun as well as difficult.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. Yes, small sample size. :/

Yep :/

Hmmmmmmm, then it might not be play. :/ Ughhhhhhh. Oh no. Maybe the heat (if you are having it)? :( Poor guy. Yes, sometimes it is that way. :(

Ahhhhhhh, 7. Good she is starting them. Fingers crossed.

That is great. Your boss does seem nice. But it is great. Oh my, that is more hours than I thought. Yes, you can handle it. It should be fun and that will make it easier. I think you will enjoy it. Good for you!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stella definitely favors males though she loves everyone. My grandma and I have been the only women that seem to rank with the men.

He's dealt with worse heat. When he did the drooling but no throwing up, it was inside and, while it may be warm in here, it isn't that warm. I avoid being outside in the worst of it.

Yep. Hopefully she'll start getting better soon..

She is. It's hard leaving. I honestly like the people I work with. The job isn't usually very fun, but it's a good place with good people. I'm sure my animals won't let me go very long without seeing them though... Tomorrow is the start of my official last two weeks though. The shelter will be a lot of work, but I think it'll be more of a balance too. At the vet, I don't get to spend much time with the animals and when I do, it's often more work for me. At the shelter, spending time with the animals will be a big part of the job, not something that adds to it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? Interesting. Some animals are like that.

:/ Hmmmmmmmm. There goes that theory. :(

I hope so. She isn't really that bad but it will be good if things improve (especially regarding the hunger).

Yes. :( Very hard. Yes, it will be good to have more interaction with the animals. That is what you truly love. You are going to do great.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Her previous owners were a married couple and the man always rough housed with her. She loves that. I think that contributed to her love of men and my dad helped reaffirm that because he also rough houses with her. I do as well sometimes, but can't take quite as much.

Osiris threw up. :frustrated: I have no idea what's going. He did so well for so long. I thought he'd be fine once he was back on the Pepcid.

So far I haven't noticed a difference in her behavior, but it's still fairly early on. I hope the medicine kicks in soon though.

Yes, it's going to be a good experience. I'm looking forward to working with animals more.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't know you didn't have her from a pup. Awwwwww, yes, some dogs LOVE that!!!

Arghhhhhhhhhh. :( Anything at all changed? :( Poor guy.

Yes, I would think it might take some time. I hope it helps.

YES!!! Agreed!! I think you will love it. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got her when she was about a year old, but she was my aunt and uncle's dog. I was there all the time, so I was around her since she was a pup.

Nope. We weren't doing anything. I was doing school work with headphones on and just saw him out of the corner of my eye. The vet said wait a little longer. If it's just an occasional thing then no big deal, but if he does it again we'll start on some medicine.

I know the vet said it would take a while, but I was kind of hoping it might start a bit sooner. Even if it just took the edge off her hunger.

I think so. It's exciting anyway.

We've been having problems with Ash peeing outside the box. A disposable mask fell on the floor in my room and he peed on it. It soaked through to the carpet and now we're struggling to get the smell out. We suspect he might be going back to the spot and peeing there. We're thinking about trying him on some medication for a little while. We're going to be selling this house, so really need this to stop. I figure if it works we can keep him on it until he settles in the new house and then we can try taking him off of it and work on other methods then.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhhhhh. That makes sense.

:/ Yes, one or two times can happen. I do think the vet is good so it will be figured out. Poor guy though. :/

I know, ;) We do get impatient.............. The fact the vet says it will take a bit then it will. But let's hope it works.

Absolutely!!!

Well, it makes sense (a mask falls and a cat goes on it). Make sure you clean it with an enzymatic cleaner to get the scent out. DO you think he feels a little insecure in your room? Try to play with him in there if possible, or feed him in there. Try to build his confidence and get him feeling more secure if possible. If you can give Love safely that can help build his security and confidence.

What medicine?

Yes, when selling it is important. :/ Try not to be stressed so he doesn't get stressed (I know easier said than done). Just try to clean it up without anger, etc (again I know it is hard).

Selling and going through change can cause cats to get insecure so really try to help him through it. Try play, use food, spend some time loving (safely), reassuring.

Make sure you change clothes from the shelter because the scents can cause insecurity.

Let's figure out a way to help him get more confident and therefore more secure. Poor guy. :/