Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, agreed!!!! ;) Good for you!!!! Hopefully you can always. He is a big guy.

Yes. That is a contributing issue. :/

Hahahaha, well, in moderation once in a while. Yes, I could not say no to that. :) Well anything is easier than finals BUT I actually would find online harder than in person. :/ I am glad you can do both.

That is great. I am surprised. It is interesting he changed so much. That is terrific. He is something. Who knows why he enjoys it suddenly??? Cool. I wonder how they got it down. Yep, they don;t last long with big teeth. ;)

Hahahaha, well, small dogs. She sounds kinda spoiled, no? Awwww, I wonder why she acts like that BUT small dogs tend to so............... Pretty good she does open up and paly though.

Oh my goodness!!! That is fantastic!!! So Osiris ran towards Dingo? And then he remembered and calmed down then they played? Awwwwwwww, what a good dog!!! Amazing how the plan changes but things go well anyway.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol.

I obviously couldn't since I not only took one, but two. Online classes are harder than in person ones in some ways, but all your stuff is right there and you always have access to everything. Plus most teachers give a few days to a couple of weeks to do the final, so you can figure out what to do when and pace yourself. And no sitting in uncomfortable chairs. I am done with finals now though. Took the last one today.

I'm kind of losing him again. Still toy motivated, but he's disengaging within a few minutes of any activity. I don't know if he's just going through a phase or if it's because he's hot or what. It hasn't even been hot lately though. It's gone down to the upper sixties and has been cloudy/rainy with a cool wind. It's almost chilly for me, but he still pants like it eighty degrees (we haven't even gotten into the eighties yet).

Very spoiled. She probably thought she was starving to death while here because she doesn't want to eat her dog food and doesn't get our food like she does with her owner. She's carried everywhere. He lets her out his front yard (he has a perfectly fine fenced-in backyard) and she just takes off. No getting her back.

Yeah, ran towards her and then stopped a short distance from the fence. He was quiet, but hackles up. He finally started calming down and Dingo barked. He barked back a bit, but then they were both okay. They had fun. I kind of wanted to have some time with just him myself so would've been nice to have some time before they got there, but it was still a good time.

Osiris did have some watery diarrhea at the dog park Saturday and some less watery later that evening. He was fine Sunday, but had some soft poos Monday, so I talked to the vet and got some medication for him. I swear this dog just likes having problems and being given medication. He actually did like the giant tablets he had to take...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)

:/ It does happen. :/ Interesting. Yes, having it accessible must be better. Yes, being able to pace is good. Ughhhh, right? THOSE CHAIRS!!! Oh great!! Congratulations!!! It always feels so good to be done with them!!!

:/ Does he get bored do you think?

Oh my!!! Whew........... She is something!!

Oh that sounds so cute. It is great they had fun. I know, it is nice to just be alone but given they like each other and it is rare for them to meet it sounds like it worked out well.

:/ I wonder if he got into something again. :/ Oh my, he liked the tablets.......... better than him not liking and spitting them out like some dogs I know............................

Let me know how he is doing. :/ Poor guy.

Now you can enjoy more free time. Thank goodness the finals are now over!! :) I am sure you did great!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, those chairs. Though college chairs are better than high school chairs. I remember we had those desks with the chairs attached with a metal bar. I can't sit just with my feet on the floor like a normal person. I like to sit with my legs bent and change positions a lot. I hated not being able to move the chair and having that bar in the way. It is nice to be done though it is a little harder to believe with mostly online classes. Not too much of a break though because I'm taking summer classes.

I'm not sure if it's boredom or if it's being hot that keeps him from focusing properly. I'm leaning towards being hot, but it really wasn't even hot the last few days! Now it is getting hot.

Indeed. You can tell she could be a really good little dog and potentially a lot of fun to work with, but she just doesn't get any of that and has been rewarded for bad behaviors.

Yeah, I definitely like giving him the chance to play. I do want to work on his focus on me too though. That's my bigger concern. But then I can't bring myself to take him away from Dingo. Really wore him out too. I can't keep him going that long myself. Maybe I need to be pushier? ;)

They were huge tablets too. No hiding those in cheese. The vet said they do crumble easily though, so can be crumbled up into some food. Not needed for Si though. He ate them like treats. He had to take three at a time. He seems to be doing fine though. No more soft poos. Now he's just on the probiotic.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed!! (OH no, not again!!!!) Hahahahaha. Yes, I liked to move around, sit in different ways as well. I did not like those awful desks. College is better but still not great. :/ Oh my, now summer classes............. You definitely are a hard worker!!

Hmmmmm, it is difficult to know. Since he is really smart I lean towards boredom BUT the heat I am sure is a factor (though you say it wasn't that hot yet).

:/ BUT she does sound happy so.............................

Yes. Totally agree. Oh I know, I wouldn't take him from his friend either since it is rare. And it is good Dingo wears him out. Yes, maybe you need to?? Of course, many animals do respond to other animals more than humans. :/ I know you will find the right balance.

Wow, he is something. Oh I am so glad to hear he is better. Whew. He must have picked something up at the park. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. :lol: Yep. I can't hold still for very long and I always sit with my legs bent up which doesn't fit very well in those small chairs. I sneezed myself off of a stool once because of the way I was sitting. Well, I missed a few credits and I figured I'd just get them out of the way rather than wait until the fall semester. I'll be taking three classes instead of four.

It seems like in the winter he had more focus yet less motivation. Now he has more motivation, but less focus. And does do better indoors though he still gets hot pretty quick and there's just not enough room to do much inside. He definitely pants a lot even when it wasn't too hot.

Yes, but then she doesn't know what she's missing out on.

Definitely not common. I'm going to take him to the park today before work so I can work with him around the dog park. Hopefully Dingo won't be there since I won't have a ton of time and I do really want to make more progress with his reactivity. I do want to get him into some group classes.

Yeah, I don't know what that was about but he seems to be doing fine.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) Yes, so true. Oh my, that must have been a sneeze!!! Ahhhhhh, that is good. It is good to get them out of the way. Makes sense.

Well, in the winter he was younger. So focus might have been more because it was new. Then he got more bored as he has "been there, done that". I find smart dogs are like that. I like the motivation. Awwwwwww. Yes, the heat can be an issue. :/

:/ Yes. But I think she is learning what she is missing out on now.......................

I suspect Dingo wasn't there. Can't wait to hear how it went. Hopefully you got some good time in. He should do well in group classes it seems.

:/ It happens. Sometimes something goes off or they get into something. One never knows but I am glad he is better!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, when you have your legs on the chair with you and you're pretty much sitting on the edge of the the seat then it doesn't take much to knock you off. My friend thought it was pretty funny. Yeah, that way it doesn't mess anything up. I don't really have anything better to do anyway since this heat sucks. I can't be outside. Maybe I can take a break in the fall.

I have to hope it's the heat. That's honestly an easier fix. I don't know how to make things more interesting.

Well, she wasn't here long and I didn't do a ton with her.

No, no Dingo. There were four or five dogs when we first got there, but it was down to two by the time we were getting close to the fence. One was a husky that ignored us for the most part. Si was hot and not too into the food I had, but he did well. We just slowly approached with him on the 20 foot long line. There was a young boy there who kept yelling at me to "bring the dog in." When we got up the fence, the husky did come over and they sniffed noses. Then Si wanted to play and barked at the husky. The boy came over the fence and petted on Si for a bit before we left.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. :) It is always funny when it is someone else and in hindsight. Of course, when it happens to us in the moment it isn't too funny!!! I could tell you a million stories like that. You have some catching up to me!!! ;) Yeah, that is pretty good. I think it is a great idea as long as you are motivated to do it.

I hope so too but I fear it is because he is highly, highly intelligent. :/ I hope I am wrong. I know, it is very hard. :/

Hmmmmmmm, hopefully. I just wonder though. You have a way with animals......................

Wow, sounds like he did really well!!!! Young boy............ ughhhhhhhhh. But he did so well!!! I am impressed!!! Did you feel good about that? You don't "sound" as excited as I would have thought.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn't wait for it to be in hindsight... I remember I caught myself just before falling completely off, holding on to the table with just my legs draped over the stool. And she just laughed. I had to let go and fall the rest of the way down. It was pretty funny. Well, a break would've been nice, but it's just not worth it when I wouldn't be able to do much anyway.

Me too. I do think he gets bored to an extent. I've always had to keep things kind of fast paced and unpredictable to keep his attention, but he had actually gotten better about that. When we first started training, I couldn't do the same thing more than 2-4 times depending on how much he liked doing that thing. Now I can be a little more repetitive, but still have to be careful. I did get some new toys (yes, again) and he loves them. He even tolerates the heat a little more to keep playing.

She's pretty attached to her owner, so I don't think she'd be willing to give up him for anything.

He did. He had one moment of getting a bit intense when the husky was walking towards us. The husky wasn't even looking at us, but just heading in our direction while sniffing the ground. I was able to get Si to move away without any barking though and after that he didn't get that intense. It was great. I just didn't feel like typing very much. I went to the shelter for the first time in a year and spent way more time there than I meant to. I was quite tired and then still had stuff to do.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they don't. Friends can laugh in real time. Only we can find the humour in it in hindsight. :/ Ohhhhh, you caught yourself. Pretty good!!! I haven't been so lucky. :/ Ahhhhh, then you let go. Yep. At least it softened the fall. Yes, in hindsight we do see the humour. :) I have laughed at myself many times!!! Agreed. Makes sense to get something done instead of sitting around.

Yes. :/ Exactly, good he got better. That is cool!!! Yikes, new toys get harder to find............. Maybe the heat isn't a big reason. :(

Oh no, agreed. I just think maybe you opened her eyes to more things, ways to enjoy.

Ahhhhh, yes, I would have expected that. That is really good you got him away without barking. Yes, agreed, it really was great. Ahhhhhh, yes. I just wondered if I missed something. Good for you going to the shelter. Doing stuff or playing with the animals? Yes, I am sure you were tired and a bit behind. It isn't like you just sit around at home!! 2 dogs and 3 cats is A LOT of work!! But rewarding!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how I caught myself honestly. Or how I didn't just take the whole table with me. Not like it was a very sturdy table. Yeah, and they're all online classes so I don't have to drive out there or anything. Hopefully I'll still have enough free time to work on Si's reactivity.

He absolutely loves these toys. The heat definitely affects him quite a lot. I would imagine that if it's not the whole reason then it's part of it. He gets to panting heavily and then takes a while to cool off once we get inside. The fact that he gets turned off of food pretty quickly makes me think the heat is the issue. Sometimes I give him the food for doing very little (or absolutely nothing when it comes to being around dogs) and he still refuses it.

I took him back to the dog park today. When we first got there, there was no one else there. We went into the shy dog area and shortly after a lady arrived with a 10 month old pittie mix. Si barked at first, but once I got him away from the fence and got his attention on me he was fine. They went into the area next to us and I worked/played with Si a bit until he was less intense and then let him go sniff noses with the other dog. Then a little after that Dingo showed up. She came in and played with Si. I eventually agreed to let the pittie, Ronan, come in as well since Dingo's owner new him and said he was good, so Si made a new friend today. They all three got along really well. Si was a bit nervous around Ronan at first, but he got over it. Si and Dingo definitely seem a bit more attached to each other and Ronan was more of the third wheel, but over all really good. Ronan left and some other dogs came in, but went into the furthest area. Si barked, but I got him to stop after a minute or two. We left shortly after that and Dingo got to go play with the other dogs.

I went to take pictures of the dogs, but forgot about the darn play groups they do all the time so couldn't get in the play yard for a while. I hung out with the cats for a bit and took some pictures of them, but honestly don't know who's who. Half the cats there are black. Three of them were these really mean, grumpy looking cats but they were all really sweet. They also had some adorable kittens. A little blue one laid on it's back in my arms. Eventually I did get to use the yards, but I had to wait a while and there were so many I wanted to get out. So I ended up staying too long.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty impressive you did. Yes, those desks are not very stable. I know I would have tipped the whole desk over. :/ Oh, that is good that it is online. Saves time. Hopefully though I do think he will get better soon.

Awwwww, that is great. Yes, he is susceptible to the heat. Yes, with food as well that makes sense. :/

WOW!!! That is really impressive!!! He is so good with other dogs!!! Too funny he saw Dingo again. They really get along. I am really impressed he is so good.

Ahhhhhh, Wow. Yes, sometimes it is really hard to tell them apart. :/ Ooooooooo, I LOVE black cats. :) Awwwww, the kitten loved you. Yes, that makes sense. It is easy to stay too long then. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might not have much free time after all... I have one class that has started already and there's already several assignments due one day after another! Si has definitely gotten a lot better, but we do seem to have gotten a little stuck. But once we get past this, I think we'll be doing pretty good.

He does so badly with the heat. We're having some trouble because I can't really wear him out. I'm getting up earlier, but it's still pretty hot by the time we get to the park. Then we can't stay as long as we used to because he gets too hot. So he comes home and cools off for an hour or two and then he's ready to play again. I'm going to have to adjust my schedule, but it's difficult. I can't drive back and forth to the park several times a day, but we don't have much yard either. We just have to make do for now though.

He is really good with them once he gets used to them. He's confident (after that initial fear), but a little more on the submissive side so unlikely to start fights. He and Dingo really seem quite close. I kind of expected Si to be more drawn to her since he knows her, but Dingo was familiar with them both (probably more so with Ronan). It seemed mutual though.

Yes, especially with three mean looking black cats! They were kind of great. One was scared of my camera at first, but I got her (maybe her?) to sniff me and let me pet her. Then we were best friends and she followed me around. :lol: That kitten was adorable.

I almost forgot I was going to say Osiris is apparently 76lbs now! I think he's on the heavier side of where I want him, so I'm starting to cut his food back a bit. Finally! No more 7 cups a day! I can't believe he weighs that much. I weighed him two weeks before and he was 74.6lbs.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my is he GORGEOUS!!!!

He looks fantastic!!!!

I LOVE that 2nd pic. What a good dog!! GREAT pictures!!! I think they LOVE that!!

Oh my, wow. Yeah, I guess you are busy!!! Yes, he does seem like he is doing well. Yes, it is never linear, there are always plateaus. :/

:/ Yes. At least he rebounds quickly. BUT then he is ready for more. :/ Not easy.

Awwwww, from the pictures he sure looks like he loves both of them.

Hahahahaha. :) Awwwwww, what a sweetie. I know, it is so easy to fall in love with them. :(

Wow, 76?!?!?!?! He LOOKS fantastic!! He is filling out. But you wanted him to. The GS is starting to show more. He is absolutely stunning!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so too.

He did really well. I wasn't sure how it would work out with three dogs. Dingo was his first playmate and so this was the first time he's had more than one playmate.

Quite busy. Indeed. I think it's really just this one last hurdle though. He's fine with dogs at a distance and dogs that he knows, so we just need to get him to where there can be strange dogs closer up without him reacting.

It is not easy. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to work things out yet.

Those are the only two pictures I got where they were all three that close, but you can see Si and Dingo are facing each other and Ronan is just kind of coming in to try to get involved. It wasn't that they didn't get along, but he was surprisingly uninteresting to Osiris despite having only just met each other that day. It took a moment before Si even acknowledged there was another dog in there.

It was pretty cute. I couldn't take many pictures because they'd get too close and I'd have cats in front of the camera.

I know! The vet guessed 75lbs as his absolute max once fully grown, but looks like he met get a little over that. I'm certainly not saying he's overweight, but just that he's a little less lean than what I was aiming for. I can't believe he's still gaining weight like that. I thought it would be a pretty gradual change over the next year, but if he keeps going at that rate he could be over 80lbs. I've been getting less careful about his playing too as he's about 14 months now. He really loves this tug toy on a bungee cord that I got and there's no way I can keep him from him without causing him to jump or turn sharply. I don't have much to compare him to, but he seems agile for his size. Definitely not that awkward, clumsy pup anymore. I take it back. Osiris fell on the steps and I'm not even sure why or how.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) That one is easy for us to agree on!!! ;)

He did amazingly well. I am really happily surprised. He is just smarter than most dogs. He just seems to know..................

Yes but good busy. That is great. And he is doing well with people for the most part? I am amazed at how good and how fast he has been.

Ughhhhhh :/. Well, I do know you will figure it out.

Really? The body language in the pics looked like Osiris was totally fine and liked him. Poor Ronan, he didn't get much love...... :( That is really interesting. I did not expect that.

Hehehehehehe, yep. :)

Really? Interesting. How big do GSs get? I have a feeling you solved any stomach issues he was having which is great. Since he is putting on the weight. BUT he looks really great, like a GS should. He looks perfect actually. Awwwww, he loves his bungee tug toy. SO COOL!!! Yes, impossible really if he loves it. What age is it safer for him to move around more? Should be soon, no? Well, I still think he is agile for his size. Like really agile. Even though he did fall on the steps...................... Maybe Ember was at his feet???? Usually there is a cat involved when that happens. ;)

My goodness he is gorgeous. Ronan and Dingo are great looking dogs but Osiris..................... I mean seriously, he really is my dream dog and add in the personality and brains and he is off the charts!!!

Thanks for the pics!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that one is. :)

He did. Definitely getting better with dogs. He seems to be less reactive in the car now too. Today he saw a dog when we were leaving the park and he growled a bit, but stopped when I told him to. Now, he did see a dog on the way to the park that he barked at so he's still not great in the regard, but it seemed a bit less intense than usual.

He's fine with people. Can be cautious when meeting new people outside, but he warms up quickly and is always excited to meet people we let in the house. He occasionally barks at people from the car, but less often now. No real in interest in approaching people we see outside though which is nice.

He did fine and didn't have a problem with Ronan. Just not very interested in him. Mostly acted like he wasn't even there. It was interesting. I expected a bit more of a reaction. Ronan was a bit pushier than Dingo initially, but once he adjusted he was a lot calmer and less pushy than Dingo is. Ronan was actually interested in the bag of toys I had brought.

The AKC has their standard as 65-90lbs for males, but 90lbs seems a bit large. From what I know, the average is more like 65-85lbs. They aren't (or weren't, that may be changing if the standard is up to 90lbs) supposed to be very large dogs. More medium-large. He's officially off medications and has been off the Pepcid for about a week-ish now. Unfortunately, he did throw up this morning, so I'm guessing he's going to need to be on the Pepcid or some medication permanently. Which is honestly fine as long as we know what's going on and how to stop it. 14 months is about the time their joints should be fully formed and they should be okay to be less careful though I'll probably still limit it for another month or two just to be safe. And no, no cats causing him to fall. It was on the steps outside. Though I have considered the possibility of there being a ghost cat...

I know. Dingo is a lovely little dog with surprisingly soft fur (much softer than Si's) and I do like Ronan's coloring/patterning, but Si's the best-looking dog I've seen yet!

Oh, I did take Ember to the vet yesterday. They checked for diabetes which she does not have. Then checked for thyroid. He said it was on the high end of normal, but he isn't really sure of where it's supposed to be for a cat her age because she's much younger than the cats he typically has to test. It is supposed to go down with age, so possibly a high thyroid. He sent the blood sample to another lab to be tested again.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)

So great. I LOVE that he stops when you tell him too. And less intense. Progress.

Wow, that is impressive. He sounds so good. I wish mine were so good. :/

Too funny. I am really surprised. I didn't expect that reaction (or non-reaction).

Ahhhhhhh, yes. I have seen 90lbers. They are big. I always think of GSs as large dogs. But medium large is a good way to describe them. :( Awwwww, he threw up. Arghhhhhhhhh. I feel like I jinxed him. :( It does seem like you have a good handle of what is going on. He is filling out really nicely. Yes, 14 months. Perfect. Yes, good to be a bit careful still. Oh my, those darn "ghost cats'!!! They get me every time too!!!! ;)

Arghhhhh, I agree with you again!!!! ;) Dingo and Ronan are stunning. Gorgeous. But Osiris is still my dream dog. He really is perfection and now he is filling out and looks so amazing.

Whew on diabetes. That is good. Good he is checking on the thyroid. Let's hope it isn't anything or easily treatable. She seems to be doing well overall so it doesn't seem serious. Was he worried at all or was he not worried?