Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Stella is a lot smaller than I thought. I guess when I saw her on video it was deceiving. She is adorable. Everyone loves Osiris and it seems he loves everyone!!! GREAT picture!!! SO ADORABLE!!!

Hahahaha, yep. ;)

Awwwwwwwwwww. :)

Ahhhhh, I understand now. Yeah, I like when they aren't "stacked". I don't especially like that slopey look. :/ Yeah, he is "lean". He looks great. It will be interesting to see how he fills out.

Ahhhhhh, interesting.

Interesting. I am glad you see the regal I see. He is exactly what I think of him (how you describe him). You are right, GSs do come off that way to outsiders. And they tend to be warmer in person. It does take time in getting to know them and their quirks. I never had a purebred but I have had mixes. Awwwwwwww. I haven't see those eyes but I can imagine. Gorgeous dog.

Agreed. She looks perfect. I love her shape. She looked great on the video I saw.

That makes sense. I agree with you on the showline people. :( I don't think I could ever get a working line even though I love their looks. :/

Hmmmmm. He probably knew he would get too hot and thought "forget that".

Awwww, he loves her. Hahaha, there is always a first and she was pretty intense. Oh yes, moving them can elicit a growl. And sometimes they can sense something. Yes, introducing a new animal can cause tension with existing animals. She is telling him she has a new boyfriend probably. I love Ember. She is gorgeous.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she's not your stereotypical Chihuahua. I could see how she could be mistaken for a bigger dog. Haha. Despite how it may seem in that photo, Stella usually does not like Osiris in the slightest. There have been a few times she's allowed him to lay next to her. Most times she at least growls at him when he gets too close. She definitely does not love him though he does love her.

Yeah, the stacked position isn't of much use for the typical person. I find it difficult because some GSDs do have sloped backs and some don't, but in that position they all look like they do. And I'm not sure how to stack a dog myself nor would Si stay in that position, so can't get a picture of him stacked. I did look at him and I do think he's filled out a tiny bit since we got him. Still very lean though.

I can see a lot of things in him. He's not like the other animals who I have one word to describe each of them. You can't describe Si with just one word. Honestly, I don't know how to describe him very well at all. The best way to know him is to live with him and the second best way is to have all the stories and information that someone who lives with him posted. I need to get a picture of his sad puppy face, but of course I don't usually have my phone on me and it doesn't always last long.

Show lines dogs, done properly, can be great dogs with a good temperament and good health. It's just a little harder to find. There's a fair bit of variation in the GSD breed, but in general they are active dogs and the working lines are even more so. I love the working lines, but yes, they can be a lot of work and very demanding. I hope to be in the position where I can have one some day, but it's something I still go back and forth on.

He might get fat this summer and then look like a purebred GSD. :ohwell: I'm not sure how he's going to get the exercise he needs when he can't be outside for ten minutes.

Ember never growled at me before though. Ash, sure, but not my little girl. It's just been the last couple of months that she's gotten cranky. Just all around short tempered and ill-mannered. I mean, she's always been a bit of a brat, but a cute one! Frost has been a grump with Ember for the last few years. I can't say he doesn't usually deserve it, but Ember used to just ignore him. Now she goes at him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she isn't. But personality she is more so. SOo she let him come up next to her? Osiris seems to love everyone. :)

Exactly, some do have that sloped back (normally). Yes, that position does make it sloped. I personally like the straighter back. Yeah, I have no idea how to get them stacked. :/ That is great he is filling out. I think having his stomach settled is probably helping a lot.

Awwwwwwww. Interesting. Yes, you see him best, in all lights. BUT I think you give me a good idea of how he is. Yes a pic of "that face" would be awesome but of course it rarely is easy. :(

Interesting. I don't know, I am not convinced on showlines yet but maybe some day? I am just not that in love with the look. I would guess black showlines are very rare. :( Yes, you could probably handle a working line.

Hahahaha. Yep. But seriously, yes, I hope he can adjust to the heat. :/ I think he will be able to.

Ahhhhhhh. Well, she is limited on food lately as well. :/ Probably that is the cause. She is darn cute!!! She could growl at me . :) Yes, some boys don't take to the new cat. She might have gotten confidence to confront him back. :/ It happens. But as long as there isn't danger, etc then it isn't too bad. Animal relationships are complex. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a lot friendlier than a lot of Chis. Though it's kind of funny that Chis have such a reputation for being mean and I've actually known mostly nice ones... Yes, she does let him lay next to her. Not usually without complaint, but she doesn't always bother to move especially if she doesn't want to give up her spot next to me. He does love everyone.

I agree. Straight backs look much better. Yeah, it seems like it should be simple to get them stacked, but I don't think I'd know until I backed up and then Si would move on me.

I think it's easier to get to know him through stories about him than by trying to actually describe him. You probably know him almost as well as I do just through these posts, but it's hard to put his personality into words.

I don't blame you. I'm not convinced either. I try not to let looks get in the way too much, but it's hard. The working lines are just so much more appealing... There are American show lines and West German show lines though. Both are stockier, heavier dogs, but the West German lines are less so than American lines and tend to have straighter backs. I think in Germany all GSDs are bred to work, even the show lines. Could be wrong on that though. Still not as attractive as working lines, but better than the American show lines. I hope I can.

Me too. I'm going to have to take him out earlier and earlier, but then he won't have anything to do for most of the day after that.

We have upped her food intake, but doesn't seem like Ember is really gaining weight. If she doesn't start getting more weight then I'm probably going to have to take her to the vet. It wasn't too long ago that we increased her food though.

We have a house guest for a few days. We're watching a friend's Chihuahua x Poodle. Little dog, smaller than Stella, but fat. I didn't know until last night and she was dropped off this morning. I wasn't sure how Si would take to a dog coming into his house. He was very bark-y at first and then wanted to sniff and wouldn't leave her alone. He's finally started settling down. She's not a huge fan of him, but more tolerant than Stella.

Her food was left on the table and Ember tore the bag open and started eating it. I grabbed her and she had her mouth open kind of weird. I figured she had a piece of food in her mouth, but went to look because I couldn't see it. Well, she crunched down on the food and my finger. Cracked my nail quite badly and did some damage. My finger is very sensitive, so I'm short a finger while typing.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked out of curiosity. Black show lines are harder to find, but not as hard as sable show lines. Here's some breeding dogs I found, all West German show lines:

Black WG SL GSD 2.jpeg
Black WG SL GSD.jpg

Black WG SL GSD F.jpg
Black WG SL GSD 3.jpg

All three standing dogs are stacked, so I couldn't tell you if they have sloped backs or not but West German show lines tend to be in between American show lines and working lines in general. The fourth dog is really pretty. They didn't have any side views of her at all, but she looked good in the pictures they have.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are really good looking but I just do not like that stacked look. :/ I wonder if they do have straight backs. They all are gorgeous but the fourth really is, I agree.

She seems like it from your talking about her. Well, I have found them to be a bit on the ornery side. :/ They never seem really friendly. I have met nice ones too but not really friendly, nice though. But so many are a bit ornery. Awwww, that is nice of her. Maybe she likes him more than you realize? He really does....................... :)

:/ Yes. Yeah, I don't know. I could see where dogs will move though. I don't like the look so I would never try to stack them. :/

That makes sense. Stories do help a person understand, relate, etc. I like to think I know him. I am glad you share about him. :) Yes, it is hard to put a personality into a few words. I do think Osiris is a bit more unique in that. I just keep thinking of him as regal. Hard to explain why it keeps coming to my mind every time.

:/ You aren't either? Interesting. Right? The working lines just look so much better. To me it is really night an day. :/ Interesting on American vs German. Sounds like the German is more appealing. It is amazing, you and I think the same way. I just like that look better. :/ I really liked the Czech working line.

Yes. Or he will adjust. Fingers crossed.

How much does she weigh? She could just have that shape?

Oh my. Good that she is tolerant. Osiris should be good. But have to be careful. But sounds really good so far. Fingers crossed.

Ahhhhhh, yes, that can happen. :( I hope it isn't too bad. Did she get into the finger or did your nail save it? Yes, it can be very sensitive. :( I hope you heal soon.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you kind of have to look past the position though I know it's hard. Their backs don't actually look like they do in the pictures, but for whatever reason people feel those are the best pictures to use. I guess if you go to a breeder then you can ask for pictures of them unstacked. The first one almost looks roach backed. You can still a bit of an arch in the middle of the back. The next two I'm guessing have slightly curved backs, but not sloped ones like a lot of American show lines. I know I've seen pics of dogs who look much more sloped while in the stacked position, so I'm guessing that means they'd be more sloped unstacked too.

We had someone in the family with a Chihuahua and a Pom who they never got fixed, so they had several litters. As bad as that is, they did have some good pups. I've met several and they've all been friendly, outgoing, confident dogs. My aunt had one of them and another Chi who was very friendly. She'd come up to you and waving her front paws together like she was begging. The dog we're watching now is pretty friendly though can be nervous. Her owner had a couple of Chis before her (a mother and her daughter who was mixed with Poodle). The mom wasn't super friendly, but not mean. The daughter could be friendly, but on her terms. She was very attached to and possessive of her owner. I'm not sure I'd say she likes him. I'm pretty confident she doesn't like him at all. But she might dislike him a little less than I thought.

I thought about trying just to compare pictures. It's difficult to find pictures of purebred GSDs where the dog isn't stacked. But I figured I'd just be wasting my time trying.

I love talking about my animals, so I'm happy to share. It's nice to talk to someone who understands how I feel. I think even people who act like they get it don't actually get it. He is a unique dog. He sort of contradicts himself sometimes. Like, he can be affectionate, but he can also be sort of distant/independent. He can be aloof around other people, but he can also be very sweet with them.

I don't think I could ever get an American show line GSD. Those West German show lines are pretty good looking dogs though. Still not my preference, but if they had very little to no slope in the back then I'd probably settle for one of them if I decided working lines would be too much. Yes, that Czech dog was a pretty one. I do prefer even darker sables though.

I haven't weighed her in a while. I need to. I'm guessing less than 8lbs. She used to be about 9lbs and I think that was a decent weight for her. She's definitely pretty rib-y with prominent hip bones. I don't think she's emaciated or anything, but a bit skinny. She gets cold easily too, so a little more weight would probably help with that.

He's still obnoxious with the little dog, but getting better. She's settled quicker than I expected and has been pretty well-behaved for a spoiled little Chi with no training. She goes home Sunday evening, so not here for too long.

I'm not sure if her tooth went far enough in to reach skin or if the nail just ripped off. Sure bled a lot, but I think the crack is too small for a tooth to have gotten it. I'm not sure how she didn't break skin on the other side of my finger, but there is a red spot there and it's as sensitive if not more than the broken nail. So far no infection or anything though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'Agreed. :/ Yes, their backs do look more normal in a better pose. I don't understand why they like that pose? I don't see it. I guess a person could. But maybe people that go to breeders want that look so they never ask? I don't know. Yes on the first pic. The second and third look like they could but I would not be surprised if they weren't. Still probably better than the American ones.

Ahhhhhh. Sounds like that line had good personalities. I have had one that had that paw look as well. I had a little poodle like that as well. They can be nervous dogs. The one you are watching now sounds pretty good. They often are VERY possessive. Hahaha, yes. At least they get along though. :)

Yes :/ It is very hard in the best of times if you find them.

Awwwwwwww. Agreed. Yes, I think people tend to be polite but don't really understand. :/ He is unique and I would go further, he is really special. There is just something about him. He seems to just know things. I can't believe how good he is with the cats and Stella. And he is protective of you and your mom. And behaves outside. He is something special. Exactly. That is why I call him regal. He can be affectionate but also regal (distant/independent). It is just rare to find that. I have had a lot of dogs and he behaves like I dream them to behave (and they never do). I can see the aloofness around other people, I am surprised he is "sweet" in a way to other people but yet not really. Yet he is protective. He is highly complex, like really deep in personality. He just seems to know if that makes sense.

We think exactly alike. I am so with you on that. I am confused on "darker sable". What would Osiris be considered? TO me, Osiris is perfection. Then the Czech. I googled dark sable but the pictures don't seem great. I prefer Osiris but maybe he is dark sable?

Ahhhhh. She sounds like my oldest girl. I call he my "model" because she never gains weight, tends to be a bit boney, thin. Mine gets cold easily as well. 8 lbs isn't bad though if she can get there.

Hahahaha, there goes my "regal" view. ;) She sounds like she is doing really well. Settled really well, agreed. :/ No, not too long. Or not long enough. :/

Ahhhhhh, yes. Whew. It can bleed sadly. Nails are sensitive. Good she didn't break the skin on the other side. She must have known and held back (which they tend to do). I feed the ferals chicken by hand (never do that!!!) and sometimes they will get too excited and get my finger but they always stop (somehow they know). But I KNOW I shouldn't do that. :/ But they like being feed by hand. :/ Oh good, it shouldn't get infected. I am surprised it is pretty sensitive though. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They use the pose in conformation shows to compare dogs, but I don't know why working lines need to stand like that and I don't know why they use mostly those pictures on their breeder websites. I mean, I can understand including those pictures in case they sell to other breeders or people who want to show as well, but a lot of don't know what we're looking at. For the general pet home, the pictures aren't very helpful.

They did. Stella has a similar personality though she's not from the same parents. I'm not familiar with poodles or their crosses, but both of the Chi x Poodles I've known have been nervous. They both had the same owner too though, so not sure what the cause is there. The one we watched is a sweet little dog, but she does act scared of everything. She flattens herself to the ground if you approach her. If I didn't know her owner, I'd probably think she was abused. She can be a little possessive over her owner, but nothing like his last one. If anything Stella, is probably worse towards her.

Indeed. Most people act like they understand and seem to think it's really neat, but I don't think they understand. Even people with pets don't really get just how much of my life they are. It's rare to find someone who's similar. Haha. He almost attacked my mom when she walked in the house the other day. I think he scared her as much as she scared him. He didn't expect her to walk in like that. Now he's done that to both of us. :lol: Of course, it's much less funny in the moment when you have a 72lb black GSD charging at you, barking like he's telling you exactly how he's going to kill you. He seems to be a little more affectionate lately. Well, not really affectionate in that he's asking for attention, but in that he's been laying closer to me on the couch. He got up from my mom's side of the couch (which he loves to take) just to lay next to me when I sat down. He is actually quite friendly with people. He acts like he's ready to kill someone if they walk into the house without being welcomed in (so far, that's just been us!) and he's watchful of people when outside, but once someone has been allowed in the house or he's been given permission to say hi then he's friendly and wants attention.

I will attach photos of what I mean with the sable. Si is black with white (white would be a fault in the GSD standard). The Czech line dog I posted is a sable, but sable just means the fur is banded with black and tan(or whatever the other color is). They can have different amounts of black. GSDs technically only have two colors: black and tan. The variation lays in the amount of each color and the shade of the tan (so can be called red, cream, etc.).

Ember had been overweight. I couldn't get her down for a long time. She finally lost weight, but went a little too far with it and now I can't get any more on her.

She did better than I expected. The owner's last dog had pretty severe separation anxiety and I figured this one would be the same. Plus no training, no manners, is used to having food out constantly, and gets food scraps all the time. I didn't think she'd do well here since it's much more structured, we can't leave food out, and no one gets human food (very often) since Si can't have it. But she was mostly quiet and laid on the couch or in Stella's bed. She went home yesterday, but apparently we're going to be watching her again.

It sure hurt. It's getting much less sensitive, but that spot on the other side is still pretty painful for it to not have broken skin. The nail doesn't feel bad, but I'm terrified of ripping it off since it's not attached by much. Haha. I'd probably be one to feed ferals by hand.

I have finals coming up, so might be busy over the next couple of weeks.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are pictures of various sable GSDs. They'd be light, dark, and black respectively. However, there is no genetic difference and it can vary by person is a dog would be light, dark, or black. The black is especially subjective. They have very little visible tan though, typically they will have it around the eyes. The Czech dog would be somewhere between the first and second picture. I prefer from the second picture to the third. In fact, I'm kind of in love with the third dog.
Light Sable.jpg
Dark Sable.jpg
Black Sable.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, those sable ones look like the ones I saw. Ahhhh, tan around the eyes. I didn't think pic 1 is sable. Pic 2 is gorgeous, pic 3 is really gorgeous. I still prefer Osiris though. :/ I think I understand more though I am still a bit confused. :/

Ahhhh. I wonder why they don't go with that pose (stacked) and normal. To compare. I don't understand why working lines need to either. It is confusing to be honest. Yes, agree totally on the rest. I don't really understand it. Most regular homes would never "stack" them, right?

Yes, Stella sounds like them. Actually, Stella is a really cool dog. Yes, Chi x Poodle is a nervous combo from my experience. I think it is a bit of both maybe? Owner and breeds. Awwwww, they can be like that (scared of everything). Not too surprising. BUT she sounds happy and seems like a good dg so something is going right. I am not surprised Stella is more protective. That is fairly common.

Yes, I think you are right. I think it is hard to understand without experiencing it yourself (if that makes sense). Yes, even with similar experiences/environment (pet owner) it can be difficult to understand. Emotions are hard to translate. :/ Yes, it is hard to find similar people. :) Yep, he is protective (GS). I am not surprised. Yes, a lot easier to find the humor in it when it isn't happening to you. :) The feeling in the moment is REALLY SCARY. Awwwww, he loves. That nuance is why I think of regal when I think of him. He doesn't come across as overtly affectionate but he is but he doesn't overshow it, he does it subtlely or regally. It is like when something doesn't need to be said but is just known. And that is the other thing. He just knows when someone gets "the ok" by the master. He is really young to be so aware. It is really impressive in my opinion.

Awwwww, now I see what you mean. Yes. If Osiris is a fault I sure love a fault!!! I LOVE that white. I like that Czech dog so I like sable (for the most part).

Ahhhhhhhhh, I understand. Hmmmm, I wonder why? My girl never got to overweight. :/

Sounds like she did really well. I have a feeling you might be looking forward to seeing her again.

Yes. It could be that it feels like it hurts but it is really coming from the nail side. Oh my, it is not attached by much. :( Ughhhhhhhh. I can feel the pain. Yes, I think you may BUT you never should!!! :)

Oh my, ok. Good luck!!! (Though you don't really need luck). Just study hard and I am sure you will do great. Just post when you need some stress relief or a break. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, all 3 are sable. I'm not sure if I have a preference between Si and the third dog, honestly. They're both stunning dogs. I'm a little bit obsessed with that black sable. I love that length of fur too. Just a bit of fluff, but not too much. I tried tracking down the breeder, but just found the photographer who is in Germany.

I don't have the answers either, unfortunately. It might be useful for people who know what to look for, but not for those of us who don't! Some people stack their dogs just for the sake of stacking them I think, but I don't know of any reason a pet home or sport home would actually need to stack their dogs.

She is. All of the Chi x Poms I've known have been pretty good dogs. I think it's funny that all the ones from the same parents actually looked similar. There was a mix of bicolors and cream/tans, but they all pretty much looked like long haired Chis. Stella ended up the opposite of them with a bulkier build and short fur whereas they had leaner builds for long fur.

Yeah, definitely something you can't fully understand without experiencing it. As long as people are respectful, it's fine. They don't have to understand. But it's still nice to find people who do understand. It was pretty scary. I know he came charging across the house at me once. I still doubt he'd do anything, but even I thought about running out of the house. He can be affectionate. That's what makes him so hard to describe. He can switch between two extremes at the drop of a dime. He can lay in a totally different room and be fine or he can be shoving all 72lbs of himself against your legs and walking between your legs wanting to be pet. He's content ignoring people when we're outside, but given permission to say hi he'll pretty much immediately lean against people.

He's a pretty dog for sure. I'll admit, there's something about a solid black dog that just seems to have a strong impact, but I love a black and white dog too. I love dark sables, but not so much light ones. The Czech one was borderline too light for me, but still a good looking dog. I'm not a huge fan of the light sable I posted in my last post.

I'm not sure. I really don't want to take her to the vet, but I'm getting to the point that I'm going to have to.

She did. Honestly, having her here made me realize we are definitely not ready for three dogs! And I think she's going to be here right when I'm in my finals, so I'm just glad she's a quiet dog who's content to lay around and not do anything.

Well, just a section of it isn't attached. It gets pretty low though, so not looking forward to it coming off.

I might need luck. :( I have two tests this week that aren't finals. I have two speeches (one being a final) and two final tests next week. And a class I haven't heard anything about the final for.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Agreed the 3rd dog is stunning. BUT I do prefer Osiris' looks. BUT the 3rd dog is near perfect. Exactly. I wonder if they can breed a dog like that or it kinda just happens? The breeder must be in Germany, huh?

:/ Yes. Well, you know a lot more than I do. I just don't really understand it. :/ And I just don't like the stacked look. :(

That is cool. I do like the longer hair chi look. BUT I think Stella is gorgeous. Like stunningly gorgeous. For a little dog she strikes me right in my heart which is pretty rare.

Agreed. I think some people don't understand and can get "funny" because they don't and can't understand. That is their problem. Not ours. Yes, VERY scary!!! But they know, they just need to recognize the person. But until they do it is really scary. Awwwwwwww, I didn;t realize he was that affectionate. How cute!!! Wow, he just knows when it is ok. He just seems super smart to me.

Yes, totally. Yes, I like solid black, black with white, sable even (dark, I agree on the lighter sables :/). Did you really think the Czech dog was too light? I didn't think so. Interesting. The light sable in that pic wasn't my fave but was pretty good. I like the Czech one more. Maybe I am more accepting of lighter ones than I think.

:/ Yes, a vet visit is stressful. :( DO you think she is just not eating enough or maybe not absorbing the food as much?

Really? Just too much work? Because she sounds like she was well behaved. BUT it is a lot of work, taking them out for walks, the bathroom, etc. :/ Ughhhhh, during finals. :/ BUT you can handle it I am sure if you put your mind to it.

Ughhhhhh :/

Hmmmmmmm, I will wish you luck but I know you don't really need it. Just do your best. Wow, you really are busy!!! Just take it one step and a time and make progress. Stay productive and focused. I am sure you will do just fine. :) But I will wish you luck as well!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That third dog is probably perfect to me. I do tend to prefer dogs with a bit of fluff over the really short, sleek furred dogs. Both are pretty, but if I had to pick one I'd go for some fluff. I'm sure they can breed for it or at least close to it. Might not get the exact same results every time, but something close to it. Yeah, probably in Germany.

I don't either. I can understand the need in conformation rings, but not outside of that.

Yes, as I mentioned above, I like some fluff on a dog. Stella wasn't my choice of a dog, but she is awfully cute. I'm not a huge small dog fan, but she is an exception.

Indeed. I don't hold it against them for not understanding, but it can be frustrating. Yeah, you just have to hope they recognize you in time! He can be a very sweet, affectionate dog. Sometimes his affection is dangerous like when he shoves all 72lbs into the back of my legs when I'm not expecting it or when he kicks out at my legs while I'm bent over him. He's come close to taking me out a few times.

I like the Czech more than the other light sable, but less than the two darker ones. It's a good looking dog, but certainly not my favorite. Solid black, black sables, and dark sables are my favorites. I don't dislike some lighter sables, but they're never my preference.

She eats everything that even smells like food, so definitely has an appetite and is eating. I was hoping it was just because of being cut down on food, but I'm starting to wonder.

She was surprisingly well-behaved, but we just don't have to space for any more animals no matter how tiny they are. I have enough to take care of and I'm not one who likes to leave a dog just laying around doing nothing all the time. I feel like I have to walk them, play with them, train them, etc. And she has no training, doesn't come when called, and has to be carried pretty much everywhere.

We cut the broken nail off. Looks pretty gross, but at least it can't be ripped off now.

Thanks. It's just a lot, really.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwww. :) Yes, Germany. :/

:/ Exactly.

Totally agree.

Yes, agreed (at some point we will not always agree!!!) Hahahahaha. Yes!!! Luckily they do (at least so far!!!). Oh I know, I get knocked over too often which can be dangerous. So I try to be really careful.

Yes. Makes sense.

Hmmmm, I wonder if she is having an absorption issue. Her stools are normal?

That is pretty good. Yes, I understand. It is hard on space and time. :/

Ahhhh, yes. That is good.

Yes. :/ It was a long time ago but I am still haunted by it. But you are smarter than I ever was. I know you can handle it. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. We do seem to think a like on most topics. So far I've managed to keep my footing with him, but there was once I was running with a toy he was chasing and all of a sudden he decided to run straight through my legs instead of for the toy. Not quite sure how I managed to stay standing for that one considering I was not expecting it at all.

It's hard to know who's doing what in the litterboxes, but I haven't noticed anything wrong. But she doesn't seem to be losing any more weight. I'm a bit torn because I expected to her put weight on at this point if it was a matter of needing more food, but would've expected her to keep losing if it was a health issue.

Finals are ridiculous. I don't know how we can be expected to remember so much. And it's really not stuff you need in day-to-day life. Or even for the degree really.

I have to admit, I'm kind of struggling with Osiris at the moment. He's been very bratty the last few days. I'm guessing (hoping) it's just because between the warmer temperatures and finals he hasn't been getting quite as much exercise. Plus with my finger injured, I haven't been playing with him in the house in the evenings, but have been doing more training. He never seems to want to play in the house, so it just feels like mostly wasted time anyway. The temperatures have dropped lately. Still too warm for Si's liking, but maybe not warm enough to effectively wear him out. He's just regressed with pretty much everything though. He's bugging the other animals, biting everything, getting mouthy with us, barking a lot, etc. He's pretty well-behaved when I take him to the park, but inside he can be a nightmare.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, yep, I think "most" is a safe call. ;) Whew, good for you. I am sure I would have fallen a few times. :/ It is good to be young. :)

:/ Yes, it is very hard to know. I am glad she is holding steady on weight. Whew. Yes, I think you are correct looking at it like that.

:( I know but it is what it is. Like taxes. :/ Sometimes you just have to do it whether it makes sense or not. The benefit is great though in the end. BUT I will say it often is about work effort, critical thinking, not giving up, doing your best etc which DOES help in life. So maybe the direct material isn't obviously important BUT it is getting there that trains us to be our best and handle things in the future. If that makes sense.

:/ Yes, it is part of bringing up a puppy. They get a bit spoiled. :/ And when the attention wanes, etc they can get that way. And you are probably stressed so things that were a blip before are magnified and seem much more difficult. I think it is just a phase and once things get back to normal and/or he ages some he will be just fine.

Hang in there. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure we'll find something we disagree on one of these days. I think I'm just used to almost falling anyway. I've gotten good at catching myself. I'm sure he'll manage to take me off my feet one of these days though.

She is losing more fur though. I think if she can't put on any weight in another week or so I'll have to get her into the vet.

Half way through finals. The school did have an event where you could get free doughnuts and stress relief toys. I got some putty that's super weird. Lol. I get you do get some skills out of finals, but it's unfortunate that doing poorly on them can have such a massive impact on your grades. Even a lot of teachers agree that it's a bit much to expect from us.

I had to take back the "well-behaved at the park" bit for a couple of days there. He'd gotten ridiculous. He was antsy, bite-y, and obnoxious, but I couldn't get him to focus on anything well enough to train or play with him and burn energy. Like, what do you do with a dog that can't hold still but doesn't want to do anything? He seems to be coming out of that though. Still a bit mouthy and bugging the other animals, but more focused and willing to do stuff. In fact, his toy drive has increased quite dramatically. He's been actively wanting to tug, playing decent games of fetch where I can actually throw a toy more than three times without losing his interest, and he's even playing quite a bit in the house! Unfortunately, my frisbee is about dead and the new one I just bought decided it would rather live in a tree, so need a new frisbee.

The little Chi x Poodle came over Monday morning and was just picked up earlier today. Good thing too because she was getting a little too comfortable here. Started getting more energy and wanting to play with Stella. Plus she's scratch the back of my head when I was on the floor. That hurt. Her total lack of recall is ridiculously annoying. If you call her, she will look at you and literally run further away. If she wasn't already on the couch, she'd get on the couch and then roll over and show you her belly when you approached. Like, "No, I won't come when you call, but please don't punish me for it." :doh: And she knew her name. You could tell she knew it. I honestly feel bad for her though. She wants to play and explore and be a dog. She loves playing. I took her to the park yesterday and she had a blast. Only took a few minutes for her to mostly stop pulling on the leash. But her owner will only throw a ball for her every now and then.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, maybe????? ;) It is good you catch yourself (without hurting yourself). :/ Yes, they always do.

:( Not heat related? :( Poor Ember, hopefully it is nothing.

Half way!!!! Yippee!! Oh, that is cool!!! I like they try to help. Hahahaha, putty sounds pretty good, helpful. Yes, it is unfortunate but that is life in many ways. It is a lot to expect but that is part of the weeding out. :/ I am sure you will do great.

:( Puppy life. Interesting his toy drive is increased. Where did that come from???? Pretty good though!!!! Ughhhhh, that always happens............... :(

Oh wow, again so soon. Awwwww, she loves it there. Ouch!!! I know, that happens. Hahahaha, some dogs do that. I think they want to play. Awwwwwwww, she wants to (and likes) to play. Too bad she doesn't get to more often.

Interesting update, you are busy!! I am blown away by Osiris now toy motivated. Go figure..................... Hahahahaha

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely we can't agree on everything, right? Yes, fortunately I've managed to stay up.

Losing her winter coat probably doesn't help, but she's missing quite a lot of fur at this point.

Yeah, it was nice. Probably don't need to be eating doughnuts, but I had to walk right by them to get to my class. Kind of hard to say no to that. It's tough. Online classes are easier than taking finals in class though.

He's been doing better. He still loses focus pretty quickly, but he's engaged with me for the most part. I have been hoping to get his toy drive up, but it was quite sudden. I thought I messed up because I taught him to bring a ball back and drop it without playing tug or keep away, but he started refusing to tug almost entirely. Then all of a sudden he started actively wanting to tug which was never his favorite game to begin with. Now he does well with which toys he can tug with and which he can't. He loves the frisbee and the tug toy attached to a leach. Lol. I got the frisbee that was in the tree back. I guess someone else got it down and played with it and then left it at the park. I saw a bright orange spot in the grass. And a new one (as well as a couple of other toys) is on it's way. Hopefully it'll get here before my other one gives out completely. It doesn't fly very well anymore.

Yep. She's kind of a brat, but not intentionally. It just gets ridiculous trying to get her to go anywhere. I'm not one to carry a dog everywhere, but she just does not come at all. You make her get off the couch and she wants to jump right back up. She really does act like she expects to be beaten and I don't know why. She is a playful dog once she gets comfortable.

I took Osiris to the park with the dog park today. It was cloudy and sprinkling off and on, so not many people there. One dog that left shortly after we got there, so I took him into the dog park thinking we'd play some. Of course, right after we get in there a car pulls in. I was nervous because I didn't know who it was, if they'd come to where we were, how Si would react... I went into the shy dog section in hopes people wouldn't come in there. Turned out it was Dingo, Si's cattle dog friend. He went running over with his hackles up, but no barking and calmed down. She came in and they played for a while. Wore him out completely. He's pretty much just slept since getting home.