Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Yes. Let's hope it helps.

Awwwww, that is sweet. Well, she IS a cat. ;) Yes, the change in food will cause a cat to be crabby. :( Yep, add is the bath................. :/ She will adjust though.

He really is. He looks SO INNOCENT. Awwwwwwwww, he loves.

WOW!!! GREAT JOB Osiris!! THAT is impressive!!!

Yes, black dogs (and cats will have that look). Not sure it is the undercoat or what but I have see that A LOT. I actually think it is really cool.

Well, they kinda made a bigger deal than I would have. :/ But agreed. No, not a good place at all. :/

:/ Yes. I had a girl mix that NEVER gained weight. That was just the way she was. :/ Fingers crossed with Osiris. I love him and I only know him through you.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He threw up again early morning before I gave him his medicine, so now we're giving the medicine in the morning and right before bed instead of before dinner.

It is. I think Osiris would pick her over anyone else though... It's like I got my cat a pet dog. Yeah, she seems a bit better now. Not as crabby, but still on the hunt for food. She's very persistent.

Don't let his looks fool you... He's kind of mean. But still very affectionate towards me. It's interesting how different they act towards other animals compared to how they act towards people.

Yes. I was very proud of him. He didn't do very well in the car Sunday when we went for a drive though. Barked at a few dogs he saw and at a couple of people. :doh: But did well with a dog at the park today. Really good overall. So happy with his improvement.

I know I've heard of it in cats, but not dogs. It doesn't seem to be his undercoat as that's more of a dull black/dark gray. It's kind of bugging me because if you look closely it looks like he has a bunch of dead fur in his coat. Apparently there can be a deficiency of phenylalanine and tyrosine in the diet that causes reddening too though. I'm wondering if it's that since it's been kind of sudden and seems to line up with him being put on this new food.

I've definitely had a hard time getting weight on him. I changed his food because I couldn't get weight on him. Now I don't have a choice in what I feed him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Poor guy, Let's hope that helps. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh :/

Hahahahaha, seems like it!!! THAT is REALLY cute. "I got my cat a dog". Hahahahahaha Yes, they will be that way with food. At least she is better. Let's hope it continues,

Hahahaha, well............ He is sooooooooooooooooo cute. Agreed, it is amazing how they interact.

YES!!! You deserve to be proud!!! Well, a car is different. Sounds like in person really good. I think he is doing great!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, I did not know that. I would ask your vet. Very interesting.

:( Some dogs just don't add weight. But it worries me about the throwing up. :( BUT he acts normally. It is mindboggling really. :/ Have you done another fecal sample to make sure all is taken care of?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, let's hope.

Ember would be a terrible dog owner. She'd only give him any attention when she wanted and would otherwise neglect him. She's lucky I take care of him for her.

Fortunately for him, he is pretty cute.

He was doing better in the car too though. Not that he wouldn't bark at dogs, but I could tell him enough and he'd stop at least long enough to get his treat. It wasn't the incessant, loud barking it had been. But Sunday he'd sort of gone back to that. And it's fairly uncommon for him to bark at people. It happens, but not often. Still, definitely better than he started off. Today we saw two dogs: a young husky he barked at once and a poodle that he was kind of watchful of, but didn't bark or make any noise.

Yeah, I hadn't heard of it, but I did wonder since it seemed to line up with being put on this new food. I plan on bringing it up. I'd like to see if there's a supplement I can give him.

I feel like all of my animals have weight issues. We haven't done another fecal, but he did have another dose of dewormer a few weeks after the original round of dewormer. I don't think either of the vets really though that the hookworms caused the vomiting though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhhhh, s he adorable!!!1 He is like "why are you taking a pic of my butt????" Hahahahaha, What a sweetie!!!

Yes!!!

Hahahahaha, she might surprise you IF she had to step up!!! ;) She just has the best of both worlds!!! The friendship but none of the work!!! Spoiled??? ;)

Hahahaha, REALLLLLLYYYYYY CUTE!!!

Ahhhhhh. Yes, it is two steps forward and one step back. Today sounds like he did well.

Oh, MOST animals have weight issues. You are not alone. I have a boy that I really struggle with. :/ Ok, good on the worms. Do you think he has too much medicine and that might cause sensitivity? Some GSs just have sensitive stomachs as well. :/

Look at is face on that pic!!! ADORABLE!!! I have had dogs with that coloring. I don't think that looks bad at all BUT maybe they had the deficiency as well? BUT they acted normal always. :/ I don't think that would cause the vomiting?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. Yes, he did seem a bit confused as to why I was taking pictures of his butt.

Nah, Ember would eat all his food. He'd starve. We'd all starve if it was up to her. She is a spoiled cat.

Yeah, the training is very back and forth. We met up with some family at a park yesterday. I was hoping he'd do better with other dogs since he's been doing pretty well, but nope. And a lady walked her German shepherd through the grass fairly close to our table and then took her dog off leash (not an off leash park) to throw a toy for him. Fortunately they went over the hill and out of sight. Si also wanted to play with my aunt's 4-year-old son who is a bit nervous around dogs. He was being a bit obnoxious. He should be used to kids running around though. The park in town gets quite busy when the weather is nice and there's kids on the playground, riding bikes, running around, etc.

He was only on one pill and not for long before vomiting again. Now he's also getting antibiotics because he got these bumps on his chin and under his nose. The vet said probably from putting his nose is the wrong place and picking up a bacteria. They're already getting better, but this is his second time getting these bumps and this time is worse.

The vet says is normal in black dogs, but I still have my doubts about it being normal for Si. It just lines up to the change his food a little too well to me and his fur has changed so much that he could almost pass as a really dark brown dog instead of a black one. I don't think it's an issue as long as you're feeding them a decent diet. Your dogs certainly could have just changed with age. And, from what I've read, I don't think it's harmful. They need certain amount of phenalynine for growth and development, but they actually need much more to maintain the melanin that makes their fur black. So a dog could be getting enough for their growth, but not for their fur. Wouldn't be the cause of the vomiting, no. The color change has just been in the last few weeks.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Si is too good for me. I don't deserve him. Lol.

20210327_131804.jpg
20210327_132254.jpg

20210327_133021.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!! HE IS SOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE!!!!!!!!

Yes, he was. :)

Hahahaha, too funny. Usually the dogs eat the cat's food!!!! TOO FUNNY!!!

Wow. But it doesn't sound like he was bad and he sure could have been. GS chasing a toy off leash? I would have thought Si would have really gone for him. I read things that could cause issues but you didn't write what he did so it could not have been too bad?

:/ Not that then. :/ And now the bumps. :( He got into something. :(

That is what I thought. :/ (it being normal). Interesting on the growing vs hair color. Makes sense. Yes, mine are well fed and are healthy, act normal, etc. Whew. Well, Si is not being held back by it it seems. ;) Good it is not a cause of the vomiting.

I am wondering what he did that you think he didn't do well at the park, cousin, etc. You don't seem upset, worried. Maybe he was just excited?

My goodness those pics are cute!!! He is such a sweetie!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know right? I don't even know why he let me put all that on him. That dog lets me do anything to him. He got up and walked around with the socks on like they weren't even there. I did not introduce him to the clothing like I should have, just stuck it all on him, but he acted like he's been wearing clothes all his life.

Ember might let Osiris share some food with her. Maybe. She does kind of like him. Sometimes. I doubt she'd let him have as much as he needs though. And everyone else would starve. Ember actually went into his kennel and got in his food bowl last night. I told him to wait so I could grab his pill and put in it the food. He didn't budge.

He could've been worse I suppose, but he was very bark-y. Even barked at people a few times which is rather unusual for him. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding his reactions or at least the worst of them, so it would've been worse if I had done nothing. I got him turned away from the off-leash GSD and put space between use. But a lot of what we saw there wasn't really any different than what we might see at the local park that we go to every day and he's been doing so good at that park. He barked, whined, and lunged at my aunt's son a couple of times. It was definitely playful, but still not good behavior. The kid is a bit nervous around dogs.

Yep. He got a couple of bumps on his chin before and they cleared up with some medicine, but now he has several and is on antibiotics. They're already looking a lot better, but I'm worried he'll keep getting them since I don't know where he's getting it from and I don't want to keep him from being able to sniff around the park.

Yeah, even if a dog is deficient enough to have the red fur, it doesn't sound like that necessarily means they're deficient enough to have any other issues. It makes him look a bit duller than he actually is though. Down his spine is still a nice, dark, shiny black, but his sides look dull and brown in comparison.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing!!! He is so sweet. He is so bonded and trusts you and loves you. So cool!!!

Awwwwww, she loves. Some cats just do love dogs. Ember is a dog cat. Osiris is so good. He obeyed. So impressive.

Ahhhhhh, doesn't sound bad. Maybe just an "off" day? He is still young. Yeah, he wanted to play with the boy.

:/ I wonder if he is allergic to something or if it is just rubbing and irritating? I wonder if it is connected (like an immune issue) with the vomiting? Poor guy. :/ At least it is clearing.

My dobbie mix was like that. Real dark on the spine and duller on the sides. I see that fairly often actually. It is good that the deficiency on the fur doesn't mean other issues. That is good. I do think Osiris is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! And his personality is wonderful. I just love GSs.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still can't get over his tolerance. He really will put up with just about anything. He's so cute. My mom is excited because we have a dog we can dress up for Halloween. She always wants to get costumes for Stella, but Stella hates clothes and I won't make her wear them when it's not necessary.

I would say Ember prefers Osiris over Stella, but I think that's because Si actually engages with her. Stella just walks away when Ember tries to get her attention. I was very impressed when Ember got in his food bowl. It was a rather stupid move on my part since he has had some resource guarding issues though mainly towards Stella, but I was only going to the other side of his kennel where the medicine cabinet is and I did shut the door but didn't lock it. I underestimated how quick Ember would get in there.

I'm guessing because it was a new place around a lot of people. He tends to act worse when my mom is around.

I have no idea. The vet said likely a bacteria he picked up from somewhere. But they are getting better, so there's that.

Yeah, it's hard to find information on it, but it doesn't sound like there's really anything else that it causes. At least not at the level of just the reddening fur. I'm sure it would be a bigger problem if they were seriously deficient. He is very pretty. And yes, while he can still be a pain, he does have a wonderful personality.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I never saw this until now. :/

He is pretty awesome. He really trusts. Hahahaha, your mom is going to love it. :)

It is so funny she loves dogs. That does make sense she responds to someone that likes her back. Interesting he didn't with her (resource issues). Oh, it sounds like it was fine, I wouldn't be hard on yourself. Ember is probably very fast.

Yes, that makes sense. He is protective over your mom as well? Right?

Yeah, there is so much out there that can happen. :/ I am glad he is getting better. Now to have him avoid it in the future............ :/

Interesting. Oh my, he is GORGEOUS!!! Hahaha, all animals can be pains at times (actually everyone and everything can) BUT his personality overcomes that by far. He is wonderfully sweet. He is definitely special!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's fine. I've been pretty busy.

He is. I want to dress him up as a mummy since the god Osiris was believed to be the first mummy in Egypt.

It is funny. My skittish, anxious little cat who doesn't like the other cats and is nervous around strangers absolutely loves dogs and takes to them almost immediately. Well, it did turn out fine, but it could've been quite bad. Fortunately, a lot of his resource guarding has faded and he really likes Ember.

Probably. Hard to tell exactly what he's thinking sometimes. He definitely doesn't like it when we split up.

Indeed. Don't know how to get him to avoid it. I'm guessing it came from the park and I can't just take his park trips from him.

He is a pretty cool dog.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwwww, he would look so cute. I didn't realize Osiris was the first mummy. Cool.

It really is amazing, isn't it? And a big dog too. So cool. Yes, it could have been but they have that special relationship. You have done a good job with his resource guarding it sounds like.

Yes, that is common for GSs. It is cool though I know frustrating at times. :/ But the fact he loves is cool.

:/ Yes. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh, it is so hard. :(

Hahahaha, THAT is an UNDERSTATEMENT!! I do think it is easier to see it from afar rather than being so close and seeing some of the negatives, But I know you know. :)

How is his vomiting? I am afraid to ask in a way because I don't want to jinx him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so too. I don't think that's information most people would know about. I wouldn't name my dog after a god I didn't know anything about though! Yes, Osiris was a king first and was killed by his brother. His wife found his body, wrapped it up, and found a way to bring him back to life, making him the first mummy. But he wasn't allowed to stay in the world of the living and was sent to the Underworld and became a god.

Yeah, I thought his size would make the cats nervous, but it didn't seem to be much of a problem. Once he was okay with them, they were pretty much okay with him. I honestly didn't do much for his resource guarding other than avoid the situations that triggered it really. I think a lot of it was just from living on the streets, not knowing when his next meal was.

Yes, probably easier to see from afar when you don't actually have to deal with the negatives, but I know he's pretty great. Right now I'm not entirely happy with him because he ate poo twice. :frustrated: If he'd stop that and the reactivity then things would be a lot easier.

The bumps on his face are almost gone. Now he has what looks like a canker sore on the roof of his mouth. The vet wants to see him Monday. I cannot catch a break with this dog.

So for vomiting, I noticed he seemed to be doing it right after my alarm went off. At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but the vet said to try changing when I get up just for the heck of it. I've gotten up at different times all this past week and he didn't throw up once. Today was the third day in a row that I got up at eight and he threw up. So I'm going to get up at 8:30 the next three days and see if he throws up the third day again.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the delayed response, I couldn't access the website. :(

Interesting!!!!

Yes, cats are good judges of character so I am not surprised they warmed up to him. Lived on the streets?

:/ Yep, agreed. :/

Arghhhhhhhhhh. At least his bumps are gone. :/ With animals it is always something. :(

I wonder if it is an excitement driven thing? Let me know if he still did. You may be on to something.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't either, so it's all good.

Yeah, I like mythology. I probably would've named him Zeus or Hades but they're too common.

Ember is a little too trusting. She's gotten really bad about wanting to get his food. And get every other edible thing in the house. And some not edible things. I stepped on a really wet dish cloth last night... Yes, Osiris was found on the streets.

I took Si to the vet Monday. The sore could basically be from anything. We're not sure if it's related to the vomiting or if perhaps he cut himself on a toy or what. The vet looked at a sample under a microscope and said there was something he thought could be from cutting it on something, but not sure. We got him on some medicine though so now he's on antibiotics, a steroid, and Pepcid.

I haven't had the chance to get up consistently at the same time because I've had so many appointments this week. I should be able to now though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( That never happened before.

Very cool. Yes, those are too common. I actually love the name Osiris. And knowing the meaning behind it makes it really cool. But even if you made up the name it is just so unique and cool.

Is she really? I didn't know that. She is trusting with Osiris. :/ Not good about her wanting his food. Amazing he is allowing her to do that. Oh my Ember.......... I did not know he was found on the streets. Why would anyone let a dog like him go???????? My goodness, he is perfection!!!

:/ Yes, it could be caused by the acidity. :/ Or cutting it on a stick, toy, etc. :/ Doesn't sound bad though.

Did it happen at all this week? Especially after the alarm?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've never seen that happen before either.

I wish I could come up with such a neat name! I think it's cool too.

Well, he scarfs the food down as fast as he can when he realizes she's there, but he doesn't really do anything to stop her either. Ember is quite the brat these days. Very bad about getting into stuff. Yes, him and his brother were found on the streets. Part of why I think he could be from a byb is because there were two four month old pups on the streets. Only reason I can think of that there'd be two abandoned is someone had a litter and couldn't sell the last two.

It looked awful. I've no idea how he's been eating. I get canker sores all the time, but there've only been a few that have been that bad and the last one had me on soft foods only.

He threw up Tuesday morning (I think) just a few minutes after my alarm went off. He hasn't thrown up at any other point in the day in a while.