Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's just been so good about settling in the morning so I can eat and work on school stuff. A little too good, really. So I don't know why he's so antsy all of a sudden.

It doesn't sound bad, but things like that often lead to me waking up with canker sores. That's the most common source of anxiety, but not the only one. I do tend to recover fairly quickly (other than the sores). My anxiety spikes fast, but then goes down fast too.

Stella is just a teeny bit (like, half an inch or so?) taller than Ash who is an 11lb cat. It's hard to tell the exact difference between them since Ash still makes Stella a bit uncomfortable and they hold themselves differently.

I'm wondering if it has more to do with work drive. If they don't want to work then they don't care as much. He wants the food but wants to get it as quickly as possible. GSDs should have high work drive, but that's one of the things Si seems to have missed out on. But I don't know. He seems a little more into it these days than he was, so maybe he's decided it's not so bad. He definitely surprised me with the puzzles...

I would imagine it would be cheaper than breeding and raising puppies. Some of the bigger organizations have their own breeding dogs, so they have to take care of them and keep up with feeding pregnant and nursing females. It costs $20-30,000 to raise and train a service dog, plus they can fail at any point. With adults, there's a better chance of knowing if they'd succeed. Training can start immediately and training would probably take less than a year.

Possibly.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good he has been so good. Well, I am guessing because he is still a puppy. But keep an eye on him just in case it seems "different".

Ahhhh, so there is a physical response. :( So it is important to try to improve it in time. Just keep trying to work on it and slow down and think things through. You will realize you can handle anything for the most part in time.

Yes, that makes sense. She look bigger on the pictures.

That could be. Makes sense. It is good he is more into it now/recently. So he can do it. I still think he can pretty much do anything (if he wants).

Wow, I didn't realize they cost that much. :/ That makes sense. Do you think you might be interested in that route at some point?

Hehehehehe, he is perfect to me. :) He is my dream dog. I LOVE his looks!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like he's gone totally backwards these days. He used to do very well. He's not terrible, but he doesn't settle like he did.

It's not every time and I have reduced to frequency it happens by switching toothpastes, but it does still occur. I got a really bad one after Si had to go to the emergency vet and I had a hectic week at school and had a speech due... So a lot of times there's something else going on, but everything just adds up including my moments of stress/panic.

She definitely doesn't have the build of a lot of small dogs, but she is pretty small. All of the cats are a lot longer than her for sure.

He does do really well with certain things. He loves his touch and chin commands, and he learned to put his head in my lap on command in less than two days. But we're still working on perfecting taking the rope on command and holding it nicely. He can certainly do anything he puts his mind to.

Indeed. And I'm not sure if that even includes the cost of the breeding dogs since some of the organizations have their own breeding programs. Taking care of and feeding pregnant and nursing dogs isn't cheap. Who knows? Maybe. There's a lot of things I'd like to do, so I have a hard time deciding.

He's definitely a good-looking dog. Sometimes I still think I'd be willing to send him off to you, but that's happening less often. ;)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. Could be the weather, could be you are around and less distracted? It does happen. Usually if you think there is a reason. Mine go up and down like that and they are older. When they were puppies it was all over the place.

It does sound a like a physical response to the stress. Our bodies do release stress in certain ways. Hopefully, you can work on managing stress better in time. That will be a good way to monitor how successful you are at managing it. I know you can do it. You are very aware and I believe you know deep down you are really competent. You just have to trust and believe in yourself a bit more (which does come with age). Sometimes I forget you are young still because you are very mature.

Yes, agreed. Wow, they are longer as well!! I didn't realize that. I know she is REALLY ADORABLE!!! I am not a small dog person (I know, that is bad) BUT I do really like Stella's looks.

Interesting. Exactly, IF he puts his mind to it. Your examples of him getting things quickly is why I think he is off the charts smart and sometimes my experience is when they are THAT smart they tend to have issues with certain things because it isn't "interesting" enough. I think you are going to have fun with him in the process.

Wow. Yes, the good news is you are young and you can do a lot of things (because of your intelligence, etc). That is a nice "problem" to have. :)

YES!!! He is honestly my dream dog looks wise. Then combine that with his personality and brains and to me he is off the charts. Hehehehe. I know he is good with cats and other dogs!!! ;) Yes, I can tell it is a lot less often. You are definitely bonded. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't be anything different. I don't do much with him in the morning because I tend to be a bit weak before eating and I like to get my schoolwork done. It is warm now, but he's usually calmer when it's warm. He seems better this morning. He was a little obnoxious with the other animals, but he's settled down.

Yes, it took my a while to realize it because the sores would occur a day or so after the stress, but it's definitely connected. It would definitely be nice to deal with it better. I know I tend to overreact, but it's not easy to stop it.

Oh yeah. The cats are built more like rectangles whereas Stella has a more square-ish build. Even Ember is quite a bit longer than Stella even though Ember is also quite a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of little dogs either. She has a good build, not overly delicate. And she doesn't act like a lot of little dogs. She's very sweet, outgoing, playful, and loves to go out and run.

He doesn't seem to like the more complex behaviors though. He prefers the easy, simple ones that get him the fastest reward. He's smart, but I still think he's lazy. The easiest food is the best food to him. I am wondering (hoping) if he'll change as he matures. He's still young and deciding if it's worth listening to me.

If I ended up opening my own shelter I could pick dogs out that would work as service dogs and work on training them. Maybe pull dogs from other shelters that have potential and my shelter could focus on placing them as service dogs. I keep coming up with ideas for a shelter that I don't even know will ever exist.

Well, if he decides he likes training then he'll be my dream dog too. I just really wanted a dog that would enjoy the training and want to work. Right now I'm still not sure if that's him. But he is a good dog. Our relationship has definitely improved. I think a lot of it was just a mental adjustment for me. I had to change my expectations. He's difficult in ways I expected him to be easy and easy in ways I expected him to be difficult. I had to accept him for who he is as much as he had to accept me.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you try to eat and do schoolwork at the same time and you have cats:

20210302_105244.jpg

20210302_105403.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Aren't they the MOST ADORABLE!!!! I think this is the first time I have seen Ash. WOW!!! And Frost and Ember!! Seeing all three of them together is REALLY COOL!!!

Hmmmmm, nothing obvious. Then maybe just being young. :/

Yes. Well, I KNOW you can. It is common to overreact but since you are very aware then you can improve it. You are impressive because you are aware which many people aren't. And I think you are mentally strong (stronger than you may realize). So I think if you focus on it you can improve it.

Awwwwwwww. Yes, she really doesn't seem like a little dog. And she is gorgeous.

Interesting. I would have thought he would like more complex. BUT he is smart to chose the fastest route. I think he will change but it will be interesting. Hahaha, yep. :/ Young, smart and independent. :/ I have had a few of those................................

EXACTLY!!!! Well, in order to achieve something one has to think about how to go about it and how you want it. So maybe it will not materialize BUT it has a better chance with you thinking about it over not.

Yes, that is understandable. I don't have that requirement or goal. I think you are right, it was an expectations. I never really have expectations and kinda go with the flow so it is different starting point. Yes, accepting who they are is key. I have had so many different kinds of dogs but loved them all. They are unique so I accept them for who they are. BUT if I wanted a service dog or a guard dog there would be expectations. Oh, I think he loves you. Sure sounds like it!!!

I can't get over how adorable the cats look!!! I keep stopping and looking at how cute they are!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are. It was a rare moment for the three of them. It's not often they're all that close to each other without a fight happening these days. Of course food is the one thing that can bring them together.

He's been up and down this morning. I can't say I blame him for having too much energy in the mornings, but it's just odd that he was doing so well for so long.

I have realized my tendencies to overreact, but sometimes I still don't notice until after the fact. Then it's like "Why on earth did I react that badly?" It is something to work on.

She doesn't act like a small dog for sure. She's really an awesome dog though and super cute. Can be a little obnoxious at times, but well-meaning.

Indeed. I hope he does. He's been doing a lot better with the training and the focus. Still has a lot of improving to do, but he's getting there. We're getting there. I haven't been letting run on the long line (or off leash) because cats like to poop at the park and he likes to eat it. I'm getting a muzzle for him to stop that, but for now he's on leash only. That's given us a chance to really work on things though.

I think I tend to over plan. Like, I want to know exactly how my life is going to go and that's just not possible. It doesn't help when people ask what I plan on doing like I'm already supposed to know what my future holds. I have ideas, but I don't know what exact route I'm going to go with. Maybe none of them.

Yes, some day I'd like to get that dog I have no expectations for, but I really do enjoy the training and want to work with my dog(s), plus now wanting a service dog. I still want an agility dog too. But I think it's nice to not have any expectations or plans. I'm just not there yet for myself because I have too many things I want to do with my dog(s).

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really are. GORGEOUS!!!! Or being in the middle of school work!!! ;)

Hmmmmmm, I think you said it is getting warmer and spring is here AND he is a puppy. I am not really surprised.

BUT the good news is you do realize it. And even not noticing until after (which happens ALL THE TIME) is still good (because you are aware). And I LOVE you ask "why did you overreact". That is why I know you can improve and eliminate it. If you put your mind to it and learn to trust your abilities more you will do it!!!

That is cool. She really is ADORABLE!!! I LOVE her looks. Oh well, everyone can be obnoxious at times, no one is perfect. I can see where she has a good heart.

That is really good!!! Maybe he will surprise you? Ughhhh, yes, some dogs do that. :( Best to keep him away best you can for him and the indoor cats. :/ But it is really hard. Maybe, just maybe he will do well.

;) Maybe a touch BUT that is common AND planning is good as long as it doesn't cause no action. So finding a balance which since you are young and smart you will find in my opinion. Oh yes, life has all sorts of curves, detours, etc. So you can plan BUT being able to handle change as well is good. So basics can be planned but then it is more "art" than "science". So being flexible is good. The main thing is to never give up and always try your best at everything. And never close off opportunities if possible. Oh, well people ask that because of a few things (just conversation, trying to see if you have an ideas rather than no ideas, etc). Just be honest. Very few people know exactly what they are going to do. And things change. The key is to adapt to any changes, detours, etc. I think you will be just fine. "I have ideas, but I don't know what exact route I'm going to go with. Maybe none of them." - THAT is TOTALLY fine. Actually, that is what intelligent people do. It would be naïve to know exactly how it will work and progress. That is why I am so excited about what you can achieve. You are really rational and intelligent about how you approach things (and mature). You will definitely figure it out and find success and happiness. Maybe there will be a few detours and it may take time but you will figure it out.

Yes, agreed. And it is good to want something specific. I tend to adapt to the animal and go with it. I do prefer certain traits etc but I don't always end up with that. ;) I think you will do great. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised with Si and the training. It will be fun and a good learning experience to that point. And then you can think about an agility dog!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, we're trying to get the house ready to sell so we've been really busy. Responses may vary for a little while.

He's not doing very well with the "heat" though. Not that it's really hot, but pretty much anything over 50 degrees is too warm for him. I can't have him out for more than maybe twenty minutes. Then he comes home and sprawls out on the floor.

I would definitely like to get over it. Nothing ever ends as terribly as I think it will.

Yes, I think she's a pretty good looking dog for a little one.

The park has been quite busy since it's gotten warm. He struggles with that a bit. He listens, but he's definitely a bit distracted. Overall, pretty good. Just needs to get used to the commotion. He does not do well when my mom is around though. If she's close to us, he's okay, but great. But if she walks away then it all really goes downhill. I'm not sure what to do about that.

We've added to his equipment too. His muzzle came in for him to wear while running at the park. He's not a fan of wearing it, but he sure is tolerant of me putting it on. He'll let me do anything to him. He also got a head collar to work on his service dog training since he can't go around sniffing everything when he's on duty. Similar reaction as to the muzzle. He lets me put it on and he's been fine with it while walking around or training, but if I'm not keeping him busy then he's trying to get it off. He also got his first service dog harness! I just got a cheap one to get him used to the idea of this harness meaning he's on duty.

I think I've finally (mostly) accepted that I can't plan my life out completely, but I definitely go back to thinking what dogs and other animals I might have in the future. But I can't really plan for that either until I know where I'm going to live and what job I'll have. I think I'm going to have to work at a vet for a long time because I can't afford all this special diet food and I get a discount on it working for a vet.

I think I'm more similar to you when it comes to cats. I have my preferences, but I don't need anything specific from them. I want to do more with the dogs since they're more trainable and there's a lot you can do with them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't see this. :(

Cool, good luck on the sale!!! That is ok, I understand.

Sometimes they have to adjust. Keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet next time but my guess he is just needing to adjust.

You will!!! :) Yes, and the worry, stressing only inhibits the proper response to things. So the less you worry and stress the more efficient you will be in dealing with the issues. You will do it.

She is gorgeous!!! Little or big.

Yes, that makes sense. But he will learn to deal with the distractions. It is normal to be interested in everyone. He is really attached to your mom. He is such a sweetie.

Oh wow. He sounds like he is doing really well!!! A lot of dogs really struggle with that. He is such a sweetie. Such a good dog.

That is good. Finding a balance between planning and accepting the detours. And handling any issues. The key is to keep working forward on the goals and if they need to change then change and keep moving forward. You are so mature and aware for your age. So impressive. :( Yes, it does get expensive. :(

He is feeling a little better?

Yes, it makes sense with cats vs dogs. Dogs offer a lot of opportunity. I agree with you. I do love them both though equally as much.

Good luck on the sale and school and the dogs and work. Whew, you have a lot on your plate. But you can handle it. Just post when you want and can. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's fine.

Thanks. We're wanting to get a bigger house with a bigger yard. We're crammed in here.

I'm hoping it's just an adjustment, but I'm not anymore used to it than he is and I'm doing fine. It's amazing to see anyone so much worse than me! Stella is a little worse than me and I thought that was bad enough. Even in the house, a few minutes of chasing a ball will have him panting.

Progress with Si's service dog training has slowed, but not surprisingly. He made a lot of progress kind of suddenly and has been struggling a bit with the commotion at the park the last several days. You can tell he is getting better about not completely forgetting me though. He listens fine, but in between commands he's looking around and a bit distracted. He's just as bad if not worse if I walk away and leave him with my mom, but it's not much of an issue because I'm usually the one handling him.

Have I mentioned the test we ran on Osiris? I can't remember what's happened when anymore, but I don't remember mentioning it. If not, we had a new test done on him and the result came back as a gluten sensitivity. However, we're not sure how accurate the test is, if at all. My vet is very excited because we're apparently the first test case. So I had to buy another (even more expensive) special diet food and he can't have anything else for a month.

Oh, yes. I love them both very much. Just for different reasons.

Thanks! I know, I don't know why I do this to myself. A part of me loves having free time, but this other part of me is just like, "Oh, free time! Let's fill it!" Replies might be a little short because I do want to keep up with updating, but can't spend a ton of time on it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome. Good luck on finding a great new home!!!

I would guess it is. We'll see as the summer heat comes. When you talk to the vet just mention it as well.

That happens. Just keep working on it. He is attached to you. :)

Oh, no, you didn't. Interesting. Fingers crossed it is accurate. I am guessing more dogs than we realize are. :/ Yes, expensive. :( I can't wait to see if it helps. One month..................

Yes!!!! It is wonderful!!

Hahaha, yep. Well, you are capable so might as well fill it up!!! That is ok. Just do what you need, update when you can and if it is short that is fine. Exciting times!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Yep, will do.

I definitely will. He is doing pretty good, but just sort of stalled on any real progress. I wanted a dog that would be attached to me, so I can't complain.

Yes, we're hoping. It is a very expensive food though. :ohwell: He did throw up Thursday morning, but I'm wondering if he's still going too long without eating and just has an empty belly, so I'm getting up a bit earlier to see if that helps.

I do like updating. It's nice to have everything written down to look back on, plus I don't want to leave you wondering how Osiris is doing.

Oh, and I took Si to work with me on Thursday. The clinic is closed on Thursdays, so no one else working there. He did actually a lot better than I expected. I let him sniff around and introduced him to one of the cats. He only barked at her once and it was a higher pitched bark. She didn't like him though. She was hissing and growling. He did give her a wide berth though which is more than he does for my cats. I thought he did well, but left the cat alone pretty quickly since I didn't want to stress her too much. He didn't see the other cats. I left him in the reception area with a Kong and a blanket while I worked. He whined a bit at first, but he did eventually settle and work on his Kong. He barked a few times. Twice I have no idea why. Twice was because I made a noise that weirded him out. But overall better than I thought he'd do especially since he was a bit of a brat that day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)

I know you will. Always good to keep them up to date.

I am sure it goes in spurts. He is capable, he just has to want to do it. Fingers crossed. Yep, you got one!!!! ;)

:/ Yes, they can be. :( Ughhhh, maybe the transition was too fast? Did he eat to fast? It could be. Poor guy.

So true!! It is good to have a record to look back on. It is so easy to forget things. :(

WOW!!! I would say he did GREAT!!! I am guessing he wanted to play with the cat. He handled that REALLY WELL. Amazing he was so good in reception. Wow, I am really impressed!!!! Hahaha, he was a brat before but then knows when to behave. impressive!!! He is so awesome.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dog training definitely isn't a linear process. We've taken a bit of a break too. It seems contradictory, but I've noticed that a lot of times taking a day or two as a break from something often seems to actually help them.

He seemed to do fine with the transition. He's certainly had it done faster. It was before eating in the morning too. Unfortunately, he has thrown up again. I thought he seemed off yesterday. It was minor enough that I don't think anyone else would've thought twice about it, knowing him like I do I could tell. He walked away from his food at first in the morning though did go back and eat it. He ate normally after that, but I thought he seemed a little less enthusiastic at the park. Not lethargic by any means. He had enough energy to be a brat, but not enough to do anything that would burn that energy. And then last night, just before dinner, he threw up a small amount of fluid. This morning he was again hesitant to the eat, but did eat and then threw up very shortly after. He vomited all his food and some more fluid. He's also been a bit antsy. He's finally settled down, but was up and down and pacing quite a bit.

Indeed. I wish I had more pictures and stories for all of my animals.

He did way better than I expected. Certainly not perfect, but way better than Stella when I left her in the reception area even with another person there. He did still seem a bit unsure of the cat like he wanted to be her friend, but still wasn't confident she wasn't a threat. I was happy to see him actually respect her and give her her space. He's been kind of obnoxious with my cats lately.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. Actually I have noticed that taking a few days off helps dogs and it can helps humans in their things they are working on.

:( Poor guy. Ughhhhhh. Make sure you let your vet know. It is so hard. I wonder what it is. :(

So true!!

Totally agree. He did really well. Well, he is probably obnoxious because he wants to play with them. Which is good BUT I know can be annoying (for humans and cats). :/

Poor Osiris. I just wonder what is going on. It doesn't sound that bad but it is not good. :/ Please keep me up on how he is doing. I hope the issue is figured out soon. I know a lot of GSs have sensitive stomachs. I wonder if that is what it is. :/ So frustrating. But he acts normally for the most part it seems.

I just saw a picture of President Biden's GS, Major. Oh my, he is my second fave GS now!!! GORGEOUS!!! But not as gorgeous as Osiris!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, breaks can definitely be helpful. My problem is they end up being way too long because I forget to go back to the things I was working on... That's less helpful.

I did. The vet gave me some medicine to give him twice a day a couple of hours before eating. If that doesn't work, we're going to try three times a day. I just got a new bag of his expensive food too and he just had to go and throw up. :ohwell: I think the vet is a bit lost as to what it could be. It is very weird.

He definitely wants to play and he's gotten worse because Ember is all over him sometimes, but he just doesn't quit. I'm glad they have a good relationship, but if he gets too obnoxious then it's not going to be a good one. And he needs to learn that not all of the cats are the same. Just because Ember is friendly doesn't mean Frost is! Though I'm still pretty sure Frost just likes being a jerk. Earlier he was in Si's kennel and yelled at him for being too close. I made Frost get out and he just went right back in.

I definitely will. Keep your figures crossed it's something we can at least treat with medicines or food or something. He's gotten thin too with all this not eating, throwing up, and having his food switched all while he's still growing. I have him up to 7 cups of food a day!

Yeah, he's a handsome dog. I agree, not as good looking as Si though! I did hear Biden's dogs had to be sent back to their family home though because of a "biting incident" with Major. That would be a tough situation for a GSD though. They aren't meant to welcome a bunch of people in their home.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO true. It is easy to do that. :/

Let's hope the new medicine works. Fingers crossed. I can imagine he is frustrated as to the cause. :/ Argghhhhhhhhh It is so frustrating.

Ember wants to play with him? Hahaha, that is cute. I am sure she knows how to deal with him. Hahaha, Frost. Osiris will learn but it is a good sign be defaults to cats are good. Frost looks so cute but he is a little devilish. ;)

Awwwwww, poor guy. :( I am sure something will work at some point.

Gorgeous but agreed, Osiris is perfection. I guess the "biting incident" was really nothing, didn't even break the skin. I am sure it is chaotic. Actually, not the best place for pets. :/

I have my fingers crossed for Osiris. I hoe he gets well soon and holds his food down and gains weight. He is so special!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping. We're supposed to try this for a couple of weeks and then take him off of it. If he starts again, then put him on it for longer and try to wean him off. It is very frustrating.

Well, she wants him to pet her. They have become quite the friends though he still likes her more than she likes him. Ember only likes him some of the times. And she's been kind of crabby these days. Since Osiris can't eat just anything, none of them have been getting any scraps from us. Ember actually lost quite a bit of weight (which she needed to lose anyway), but now she thinks she's starving to death and takes it out on the other animals. I'll admit, she's even getting on my nerves with stealing food and I'm usually pretty tolerant of her. Maybe a little over protective even. Plus Ash had to be washed because he had poo stuck in his fur, so she's especially unhappy about that.

Frost is beautiful, but yes, troublesome. He's been overly affectionate and tolerant of me though. He even let me hold him the other day and just laid down to the point I almost dropped him.

Big update! We took Osiris to a park that has a dog park in it. We saw a couple of dogs away from the dog park walking on the trails who he hardly paid any attention to. Then we actually walked pass the dog park (on the trail on the other side of the road, but still quite close) while several dogs ran around inside barking. He was interested, but did absolutely fine. I did push a little too much with getting closer and a young husky noticed us. It ran to the fence a couple of times and watched us which I think might've been the cause of Si's reaction, but it wasn't bad. He wasn't very responsive and whined and made huffy sounds, but not barking or anything. I just had to move him away and he'd be fine. Really huge improvement.

Si is also apparently changing colors though! No idea what's going on. First I noticed the fur behind his ears turning gray. Stella did that too. But then his back end started turning red! It was only noticeable in the sunlight, but now it's gone up his sides and he has this sort of coppery tone even in the house. It's very weird.

Yeah, I'm guessing they would've made a bigger deal out of it if the bite had been bad. Really not the best place for any animal, let alone a protective, cautious dog like a GSD.

Me too. He definitely needs some more weight on him.