Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does have so many good traits. If he's not excited and bitey, he's quite tolerant and is fine with hugs which even Stella does not tolerate. Really very sweet when in the right mood. Settles well.

Well, he's definitely GSD and probably at least mostly GSD, but it would be interesting to see what else could be in there. Definitely nothing obvious. But the health test would be interesting to see too. I wouldn't spend the money for just the breed test. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range at the moment even while it was on sale. But maybe for next Christmas.

He was well behaved, but the way he moves is just odd. Seeing him walk, it's like a black coyote. I would be nervous if I came across that dog on his own. I was a little nervous as it was.

Once I get talking I'm usually okay, but I struggle with starting and ending conversations. It's a matter of both not wanting to and being afraid to. I am not an overly social person and don't care to be. But you can't get through life without talking to some people and sometimes it's nice to talk to a likeminded person. I've only talked to my boss a few times and I've been working there for over a year. And almost always when I could catch her on her own. I do better when it's one-on-one. Even one other person makes it exponentially more difficult for me. I definitely hold back in what I say and what I do. I don't say what I want to out of fear of causing an argument or offending someone or being judged.

Ah, well, cats are difficult. They've been playing more with the new toy, but it's only a matter of time before they get bored with it. The boys are pretty much okay with their weight, so I'm not too worried about them. Ember definitely needs to lose weight and she does play.

Yes. I don't necessarily need to use someone else's "style" (though that can be a good way to learn as long as you don't get stuck in it), but seeing how people set things up and work with the animals would be helpful.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhhhhhhh. Yes, he has that puppy still in him.

Yes, the health would be interesting. I have never done that as I am not sure what really could be done anyway. :/ But maybe I should? I love him.

Interesting. Yes, they can be intimidating. It is good he was well behaved.

Yes, I can see where you are very good once a conversation is started. Starting can be very hard and ending since you don't want to hut anyone's feelings. But try to start finding something in common and then going from there. I am pretty good at starting conversation but I too have issues ending (as do many people). I don't want you to be afraid to so hopefully we can get you over that. Not wanting to is totally fine. But if you want to and don't then it would be disappointing BUT I KNOW you will be able to in time. Yes, it is good to talk to people and even people that don't think the same (as a person can learn that way). And listening is as important or maybe even more so than talking. Well, talking to your boss can be challenging because they can be busy, etc. SO finding a time to talk. BUT you could say to her "maybe some time when you have time we can talk about............". And that is a good way to maybe get some practice (and learn). At work is hard because it is a place to work rather than socialize. BUT maybe she could find some time. But if she can't that is understandable. Oh, I do so much better one on one as well as I think most people. That is common. Yes, one more person can be more difficult but as you do it more you will learn how to do it better. It takes some practice like everything. And if you are like you are with me you will do fine. AND if someone has an issue with what you say then maybe it is their issue. I think I know you pretty well and there is no way you would be unreasonable or unfriendly or embarrass yourself. Just be yourself and try to stay humble but share what you know and appropriately feel.

"I definitely hold back in what I say and what I do. I don't say what I want to out of fear of causing an argument or offending someone or being judged." - Ok, I understand. Well, that isn't that bad. It is good to not start arguments or offend someone. BUT if they are really wrong trying to help them understand the right way in a diplomatic way is good to them. But it is an art. Now, for fear of being judged is a little disappointing (but understandable). Because who are they to judge you? If you are wrong then you could learn why. And if they judge incorrectly then it is their problem not yours. Can I ask, do you ever hold back with me? I hope not.

Yes. And yes, cats do get bored with toys. But I do believe it is about how a toy moves more than the actual toy. But it is good and thank goodness the boys weights are good and Ember likes to play. Sounds pretty good to me.

Exactly. You are smart, you are aware so that helps a lot. I think you will be fine.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might grow into a good emotional support dog though. He needs some work. Lol. But there aren't many dogs that are so naturally tolerant of getting hugs and being squeezed. He decided he wanted to snuggle today. That was weird. Just came over, walked on top of me, and flopped down. He's very heavy. Sort of hard to breath with him laying on you.

Well, it would be more a head's up. It wouldn't be so surprising if something came up later on. I wouldn't spend the money on it for Stella (unless I was rich and had money to spare) because she's already 6 years or so old and I don't need a test to tell me she has luxating patella. But if it's accurate then it could be worth it for young rescue dogs.

I'm not one to be intimidated by a dog without a good reason though! I don't have a problem just because he's a black GSD. But that body language... Totally different movements than Osiris who sort of reminds me of a horse when walking.

I guess I should say I'm okay once started in certain situations. It depends on the conversation. I think some people give up on talking to me because they ask about where I go to school or whatever and I tend to give short answers. I'm not great at making small talk just for the sake of it. I'll talk about animals all day, any day, but I'm not someone who talks about the weather just to talk. Bringing myself to start a conversation is hard. Heck, even with people I know and am comfortable with, I'll plan what I'm going to say for 5-10 minutes before ever saying anything. I think the two biggest problems I have with talking to my coworkers at this point is that it's hard to catch just one person (and someone else could show up at any point) and I worry about them being busy. I don't even know what my boss does. She's relatively hands-off when she's there unless we need someone to work as the tech. But she sits at a computer in the office and I'm not sure what she's doing. Same with the vet. I like being able to ask him questions if I have a concern, but I don't want to interrupt him when he's on the computer or looking at a slide even though no one else has a problem with it. I don't know why I have such an issue with there being multiple people. It's ridiculously difficult for me. In fact, I usually end up caving and not saying anything. It's pretty rare I get myself to say anything when more than one person even if they're people I know.

I hate being afraid of judgement because I truly don't believe there's any reason for it and people shouldn't be afraid to speak because of that. People shouldn't be so quick to judge. But the fear is still there. At least sometimes. It's sort of a weird, fickle thing. I'm not always afraid of being judged. No, I wouldn't say I really hold back with you anymore. I still don't want to say anything that could start an argument, but I feel pretty safe that we're unlikely to really argue and, even if we did, we could come to an understanding. If I leave anything out, it's more likely because it seems unnecessary and I feel my post is long enough.

They seem to get bored with movements too, unfortunately. I probably waste at least five minutes trying to figure out what they're into that day. And of course they tend to like different things. Frost is weird. He tends to like fast, rapid movements that make no sense.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwww, THAT is AMAZING!!! GSs are like that more than people think. They are amazingly connected with the parent. Yes, they are heavy!!! :) That is SO SWEET!!

Interesting. That makes sense.

Yes, that is what is interesting. You are like me, pretty good read on other animals. He must have walked in a way. The instinct kicks in that something isn't right. BUT he was good. I wish I could have seen him. Hahahaha, Osiris, a horse???? I think I know what you mean. That is cute.

Well that is good!!! So you can do it. And if you can at times then you can all the time you want to. Ahhhhhh, yes, well maybe you want to protect your privacy (which I think is good - I am the same way). And small talk, again, if you want to and can't that is different than not wanting to (which again I know the feeling well). Hehehehe, yes, talking about animals all day!!! And yes, the weather, nope. You sound so much like me. Now starting a conversation. Again, if you want to and can't then it is something to improve on. But if you don't want to then it isn't that big a deal. When you plan for 5-10 minutes before is it because you don't want to "look silly" or "foolish"? Or is it that you aren't sure exactly what to say? You are obviously VERY intelligent and you are very thoughtful, and respectful so you shouldn't worry. And maybe you don't think as fast on your feet as some but I know you can. If you can talk about animals (which I know you can you can talk about anything you know (which I know is a lot). And don't be afraid to pause, or listen to get time to respond. Yes, on co-workers. The busy worry is a very good and reasonable worry. But don't worry about someone else showing up. If they do I know you can handle it and if not that time then in the future. And again, you can listen and just give some comments interspersed. I know you can do it and with practice you will get better and better. Yes, they could be doing animal stuff or business stuff. It is hard to know. But you can always just pop in and say "I have a question when you have some time" and I am guessing most of the time they would right then. But you respect there time which is GREAT. Oh, I think having issue with multiple people is normal and common. I have the same issue. I think it is just more complex. Having to not ignore one of the people, having to respond to multiple comments, etc. I think it is normal to find it hard but with practice I know you can handle it. If you want to (which I hope you do). Why do you think you "cave" and not say anything? I pretty much can guarantee you would do fine. I am sure you wouldn't insult the other people, etc. And if they have an issue with what you say I would guess it would be their issue not yours. Look at how much we "talk" and you never say anything that seems offensive, or silly, etc. If you can do it with me I know you can do it with anyone.

This is what I mean, you are so wise. You are so right. You don't like being afraid of being judged (we all are like that) BUT we do fear of being judged even though it isn't right to judge. "I truly don't believe there's any reason for it and people shouldn't be afraid to speak because of that. People shouldn't be so quick to judge." - You are EXACTLY right. But isn't it their issue and not yours? I mean if someone is an axe murderer then thinking that isn't good is fine. But judging someone for something silly is their problem. But yes, the fear is there especially with someone a person doesn't know or even knows and respects. But most people are better than judging people for stupid things. But there are some bad ones and those have their own issues and are not your issues. "At least sometimes. It's sort of a weird, fickle thing. I'm not always afraid of being judged." - THAT is REALLY GREAT!!! I am so glad you don't hold back with me, I didn't think so but I am happy to know you don't. :) "I still don't want to say anything that could start an argument" - :/ Oh my, I know you would never want to but you should say what you feel. And I respect you so I can't believe we couldn't have an argument and agree to disagree but still like and respect each other. Maybe I am not thinking of something right or I am wrong about something? How can I improve myself without being challenged? Ahhhhhhhh, yes. " but I feel pretty safe that we're unlikely to really argue and, even if we did, we could come to an understanding." - EXACTLY!!! And that is the trust and respect we have to understand that. "If I leave anything out, it's more likely because it seems unnecessary and I feel my post is long enough." - That is great!!

"They seem to get bored with movements too, unfortunately. I probably waste at least five minutes trying to figure out what they're into that day." - Yes, that does happen. :/

" And of course they tend to like different things. Frost is weird. He tends to like fast, rapid movements that make no sense." - I know, some like fast, some like halting. Knowing what each prefers helps a lot!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been working on this reply for a while. Not sure why I couldn't type it all at once. School did start this week though, so responses may be a bit slow.

It's interesting to watch him change and evolve. When we first got him, he rarely got on the couch despite his fosters saying he was allowed up in their house. Now he loves the couch, but snuggling wasn't his thing. He's still not a huge snuggler, but he's started to initiate it on his own more often. Weirdly, he does respond to "You wanna snuggle?" I'm not sure where he learned that. He doesn't always listen, but it's often enough that it can't be a coincidence.

I've seen him walk since then and he seems to walk very tall, but not like a confident dog walking tall. Like he's trying to see as much as possible. Osiris walks with his head almost level with his back. I had Si off leash at the park today as I was walking back towards the car and he came running up behind me on the path. I swear he sounded like a horse!

I don't particularly care for small talk, but I think I can come across as abrupt/rude and I don't mean to. My mom has informed me that people apparently think I'm a snob, which I'm not and don't intend to seem that way. I'd definitely like to be able to start a conversation. It's kind of hard to get by in life without starting a conversation whether or not it's one you want to have, but there are some I'd like to have. I have to talk to the vet if something is wrong with one of my animals. Right now, that's one of the only things that can get me to start a conversation and it usually takes a while. I'd like to be able to talk to people about their dogs and breeders about their particular breed. I don't even know why I have to plan a conversation. I'm that way even with people I'm comfortable with. I'll do it when I'm planning on talking to my mom. Nerves usually makes it take longer, but I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason. I've wanted to say something in class more than once, but by the time I got the nerve to say it, it was way too late. I always say I'd like to talk to them when they have time and, more often than not, they do have time right then (I do try to catch them at a time where they aren't doing much still). It's just nerves.

I know it's not my problem and I shouldn't worry. Unfortunately, just knowing doesn't seem to help. Honestly, sometimes I can't even figure out exactly what I'm so afraid of. It's a weird thing. Afraid of being judged is sometimes the only way I can explain it, but even that isn't exactly right. At least not in all situations. I think we're too similar to end up disagreeing about anything big anyway. Anything we ended up disagreeing on we could easily just agree to disagree or potentially learn from each other.

Cats. They can be difficult creatures.

They do all have their general preferences, but they don't always prefer the same thing every day. Frost likes fast, rapid movements, but sometimes he'll surprise you and pounce when you don't expect it. Ember tends to like it move horizontally in front of her and likes jumping for it, but some days she likes jumping more than others. Ash varies the most.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that is ok. Good luck with school!!!

Awwwwwww, he is feeling more comfortable. Yep, I am not surprised he knows that. He is smart.

Interesting. I know what you mean. Yes, Osiris walks normal. Wow, you are brave to have him off leash. Sounds like he did great. Hahahaha, he is a big guy!!

Yes, small talk is something you have to want to do to be good at it. :/ I am not big on small talk either. :/ Yes, I can see that. Because it isn't interesting then it can come across as aloof, etc. And I can see where people might think that is "snobby". Yes, I don't get a sense you are a snob at all but it is easy to have a perception that doesn't match intent. I don't see you wanting to hurt people or treat them badly. I think if you put your mind to it and want to start a conversation you will be able to. It will take a little practice and it does depend on the other person as well but I know you can do it. It is good you are starting with things you have to do and then want to do. Talking about things you want to is a good start then you can build off of that. Once the Covid goes away you can go to shows and talk to people and get practice. And once you realize you can it will become easier. Well, I think we plan because of a few things. We want to be in somewhat of control, not make a fool of ourselves, etc. That is normal. I wonder if there is some practice stuff on the internet, like an interactive thing. You are highly intelligent so I know you can handle anything. You just have to believe in yourself and trust yourself and not worry about how the other person perceives you. Practice, practice. Even just talking to the mirror, or the dogs can be helpful. Ok, yes, nerves. That is normal. We fear of their response to what we say. We fear they might think we are silly. So the fear can cause us to freeze. But remember, if someone has a problem with what you say (or how you say it) it could be because of the content BUT more likely it is the other person's problem. Once you break that fear/nerves you'll realize that. You are too intelligent and have too much good stuff to share to keep it to yourself. You have to realize the other person if no better than you and if they are judging you then they have the issue, not you. We all struggle with nerves but once we get past it it is a lot easier. I know you can get past those. If you watch President Biden during the debates you can see nerves. He battled a stutter all his life and in stressful situations it can cause issues. But he never gave up and became president.

Yes, knowing and believing are two different things. I was afraid of going to the dentist, I know I shouldn't have been but I was. It is a battle inside of us but it can be won. I don't think it is weird, it is normal. We all are self conscious in ways. Some ways more than others. Yes, afraid of being judged is common. We are afraid someone will think we are "stupid" or "foolish". That is usually a big reason. We are afraid of hurting someone, not being like them in the way of thinking. Things like that. But you are too smart and too wise to be too afraid. And as long as you stay humble (which can he difficult for intelligent people) and realize an opinion can be wrong, a fact can be wrong so to listen and admit when you are incorrect or misguided then it should be fine. Yes, I think we are VERY similar!! We think very much alike, view the world very similar. You are much wiser and more intelligent than I ever was. I think you can achieve pretty much anything you want. I am so impressed with you!!! Yes, I don't fear us ever disagreeing and having issues. And yes, I have already learned a lot from you!!! I really enjoy "talking" to you. And I hope other people get to enjoy your friendship and wisdom. You have so much to offer others.

Hahahaha, yep!! :) But I LOVE them!!

Yes. That is interesting but not surprising. You definitely in touch with what they like which is really cool. I think that is really important.

Good luck in school!!! Just take your time and post when you want. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have one class I have to go to campus for. I was hoping to not have to go at all.

Not really that brave. I know it scares my mom when I let the dogs off leash, but you have to see all the steps that came before that. I wouldn't let them off if I wasn't confident I could control the situation. I typically only let Si off occasionally when the weather is bad and there's pretty much no one there let alone any dogs. Stella is completely off leash trained and reliable.

Honestly, I don't particularly care for small talk, but I certainly don't want to come off as rude or snobby either. I do want to be able to talk to people. I'm kind of going to have to if I want to speak up for animals. I want to be able to go up to people at the dog shows and ask them about their dogs. I do have public speaking class this semester, so hopefully that helps, but it isn't being taught how I expected. I thought we'd be doing speeches via video call, but apparently when you do an online class the normal strategy is to gather 6 people to give a speech to. Right now, we're just using the people we live with which in my case is just my mom. Seems like giving speeches to the class through video call would be more effective.

Sorry to cut everything short, but we've had some things going on with Osiris and I know this is probably going to get long. Thursday morning Osiris refused to eat. I got him to take a little bit from my hand, but he'd drop half of what he took. I was ready to take him to the vet then and there because I have never seen him refuse food. But the vet was closed. So we made some chicken and rice and gave him a small amount of that around noon which he ate. Unfortunately, he ended up throwing it all up a few hours later. We've had some issues with him throwing up that we've been struggling to figure out the cause of, so we weren't sure if this was that or something different. Fed him a little more of the chicken and rice for dinner and he kept that down. I gave him some unsweetened applesauce as a snack before bed because he is used to getting a snack, but I didn't want to feed him. Found that he had thrown that up the next morning. So I called the vet and got him in at 11:30. Vet checked him over, didn't find anything abnormal. Gave Si some food which he ate and the vet said to see if he held that down. If not, I would have to bring him back when I went in for work. Well, he threw it up. And then again when I was getting ready to go back to work. Made me late. Back to the vet he went and he was sedated for X-rays. Nothing abnormal. The vet said everything looked empty though there could a piece of fabric that didn't show up. He gave Si an injection for anti-nausea and gave me some pills. He said if it was an obstruction, then this wouldn't stop the vomiting.

The vet gave him a reversal for the sedation and we had to set him up in a kennel since I still had to work, so we left him in the dark with the doors shut in hopes he'd just go back to sleep and not freak out. When I went in there, I couldn't see or hear anything. I thought he'd died until I got the light on and so him laying there watching me. He didn't want to get up immediately, but was able to walk out on his own and got in the car, but once I got him home he was visibly unsteady and could barely sit up. So I had to get 70lbs of dog out of the car on my own. He got up the stairs and in the house on his own, but couldn't stand long after. We somehow got him on the couch to rest and he ended up peeing on it. He jumped up so fast he scared me. I don't know how he didn't fall. I don't think he even realized he was peeing right away as there was quite a lot. He finished outside and we put him on his bed. Then we tried washing of the pee on him, but he was not cooperating and couldn't stand on his own very long. I texted my boss (the vet's wife) if it was normal for him to be so out of it and she said it wasn't abnormal, but she'd get in contact with the vet and have him call me. While waiting on his call, Si just became completely unresponsive. My mom moved his backend because he was laying in a weird position and there was no response. He did nothing. I checked on him to see he was sleeping with his eyes open and the only response he had was blinking if you tapped his face. It was like he was sedated again. The vet called right then while we were trying to wake him up. He said we should bring Si back for another dose of the reversal. Um, how am I supposed to get a 70lb dog out the door, down the stairs, and into the car? Well, fortunately my mom smacked his backend and he finally lifted his head. We were able to get him in the car, but he went unresponsive again on the way there and just woke up when we pulled into the parking lot. We got him in and he got another dose of the reversal then waited to make sure he did alright. He became much more alert than when I got him out of the kennel earlier and were able to take him home.

In the car, he started freaking out really badly. Turns out he needed to poop! Guess I should be glad he didn't just poop all over the place like when he peed. After that, he was really antsy and whiney. We figured he was hungry since he hadn't been able to keep much down. The vet recommended that we experiment with the consistency of his food and try soaking and blending it in case it was an obstruction then this way maybe it could get around. So we made essentially dog food much and Si acted like he wanted it until I put it down and let him eat. Then nothing. He licked a little off my fingers, but that was it. We tried again in the morning. He wasn't interested at first, but I left it with me for a moment and he ended up licking the bowl clean. His appetite has slowly been coming back and he hasn't thrown up so far. We've been gradually working back to giving him solid, dry food. Right now he's still getting soaked food. He's acting fine, but I've been careful to not overdo anything. He hasn't pooped since Friday night, but I've read it can be normal for it to take a day or two after sedation for them to get back to normal. So here's hoping everything is okay.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Ughhhhhh. Just make sure you keep your distance, wear your mask, don't touch your face, etc. Hopefully everyone else is cautious as well. :/

Hahaha, well, I think you are brave!! But I know what you mean. But sometimes things come out of the blue.

I am with you, small talk can feel like a waste. BUT you can make it more interesting. Try to find something of interest to both people. Especially animals. No, but sometimes uninterested (in the topic) can come off as aloof. :/ But then try to steer it into something interesting.. Yes, speaking up for animals it will be needed. And good practice will be at dog shows. Once you do it more and more you will realize you can do it. Start with an interesting topic like dogs and go from there. I know you can do it. The anticipation is worse then the reality. I am really glad to hear you have public speaking class. That is great. Well, I think the pandemic probably causes the issues. And I think it is about being in person rather than over the computer. It is bad timing. BUT in front of your mom will be helpful I think. Because your mom is like everyone else really.

Oh my, never apologize ESPECIALLY for this reason.

Poor Osiris. :( Oh my goodness, I am speechless. :( Do you think he ate anything different (like fabric, etc)? The vet sounds like he thinks it might be an obstruction. Could he have gotten into a poison or pesticide or plant etc? Do you think he got into the litter box? But that would show up on a x-ray I would think. Was he de-hydrated? At least he is in good care.

I am SO GLAD he is getting better Whew. Fingers crossed. I am so glad his appetite is getting better and he hasn't thrown up. And he is acting fine. Yes, take it slow. But so far it sounds like he is doing better. Whew. But what caused it? Yes, I am not surprised he has not pooped for a few days (and since he hasn't eaten much).

Oh, I am so sorry you went through that. That is so scary. I know how I am feeling so I can imagine how you are feeling. It is awful.

Let me know how he is doing and what the vet thinks is the cause. Good luck!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. They have classes with more than 12 students split into two, so there's only a handful of other students in my class. It's usually Monday and Wednesday, but I just have to go Wednesday.

I definitely have to be alert and keep an eye out for other dogs, so I usually see them before Si does and even once he sees them, he doesn't react if they're far away. I can call him back. Fortunately, people aren't very interesting to him, so I don't have much of a problem with him going up to them. The biggest thing would be rabbits, but I don't see many of them in the afternoon anyway.

Yes, it seems a bit unnecessary for the most part, but I guess it is often the best way to get to talking to someone. And I don't hate it. I just tend to have very short answers. I definitely need to get better at speaking to others and I do think dog shows will help with that if/when they start again. I'm not sure how it's going to work out though. It's hard to imagine going into such a busy place after going through all of this. The anticipation is definitely the worst! I'm already stressed over our first speech that we haven't even started and I'm literally just doing it in front of my mom and a camera. In some ways, it seems more awkward to give a speech to my mom, especially when the first speech is supposed to be about us. My mom already knows me!

I don't know what's going on with Osiris. I haven't seen him eat anything that I would think would still be in there. He's had some vomiting issues pretty much since we got him, just not this frequently. But unfortunately he did throw up Wednesday night and twice more on Thursday. The clinic is closed on Thursdays, so I brought him in this morning and he threw up in the car on the way there. I thought the medicine we gave him over the weekend was supposed to tell us if it was an obstruction or not though. If it was, he should've still been throwing up. But the vet is still worried about it, so he gave Si these beads to eat and I'm supposed to take him back at 3 for a radiograph to see where they are. If they're clumped up, then that shows us there's an obstruction. Unfortunately, he threw up right after leaving the vet while I was driving home. He ate most of it and I cleaned up the rest. I had to call the vet to let them know he threw up again and they were wanting us to go somewhere else for an exploratory surgery, but I told them that he'd eaten most of the vomit and what I cleaned up didn't seem to have any in it, so we're going to continue with the radiograph at 3.

This is seriously probably the most stressful thing I've been through. I don't know what I'm going to do if he ends up needing surgery. He's rapidly turning into a very expensive dog and I don't even want to think how much my old vet would've charged! And he hasn't eaten anything since yesterday afternoon and still can't eat anything. I feel awful feeding the other animals in front of him. So all he's had was a bit of wet food the vet gave him to eat the beads with.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that is good. Helps make it safer.

That is really good.

Yes, but it is a good way to get comfortable and using something you have an interest in will help even more. If you can do it with nothing then you can definitely do it with a topic you enjoy. Dog shows will definitely help. I don't know how or when they will come back but they will. And it will be normal again. I know you can go to a busy place after this. It is like riding a bike, you don't forget and sometimes a break actually can help. And maybe I can help you through it. I hope so. Because I know you can do it. Yes, the anticipation is the worst like everything (doctor, dentist, exam, etc). But you get through those so you can do it anytime. I know when your first speech is done you will think "that wasn't so bad". I think it actually may be more awkward to give a speech to a parent rather than a stranger. And it depends on what we are talking about. Certain topics can be difficult to talk about with a parent vs a sibling or a friend. BUT I know you have it in you and you are close with your mom. I think you are going to do great!!!

I'll be honest, I read the whole post first and I have been distracted to this point. I love Osiris so much. It breaks my heart. It is odd he didn't throw up for a while then wham again. I am glad that the radiograph is going through and I HOPE he has the beads in him still. I am bothered that he has throwing up before. :( I always worry about pure breeds. :(

I know, this is the most awful thing. Someone you love and feeling helpless. It is heartbreaking. I do think your vet is really good so I hope they can find the issue. We'll know more after the radiograph.

Try not to feel bad about feeding the other animals. They have to eat and Osiris has to be careful.

I know. I am sick about it so I can imagine how upset you are. But you are doing all you can do for him. Maybe it is not so bad, maybe he has just a sensitive stomach and something in the food is an issue or he is allergic to etc. GSs do have sensitive stomachs. Just hang in there and try to do your best (which you are). Life is not fair sadly but we'll get through this.

Please let me know how he is doing and how the radiograph goes. I am wishing you all the best.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for no updates! I'm on my phone, so going to try to keep this short.

He got the x-ray. Beads clumped up in his small intestine. Vet said not what he was expecting and pointed towards a piece of fabric or string. Needed to get Si to the emergency clinic ASAP so they could figure out if he needed surgery last night or this morning.

Got him to the emergency clinic, vet there looked him over, checked x-rays, etc. Then he called us (curb-side, can't go in) and asked about his symptoms. He asks, "When did the noisy bloody diarrhea start?" Um, bloody diarrhea? We haven't seen that. So that was new. Anyway, vet said actually probably not an obstruction. The diarrhea isn't normal for obstructions and there was no gas in his intestines. So he said probably intestinal inflammation. No surgery needed. Si stayed overnight.

We talked to them today. They had gotten new x-rays and the beads had spread out. They also got a fecal sample. Turns out he has hookworms! We're not positive that's the cause, but he's being treated for that for now and staying one more night. We should be able to get them tomorrow.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update.

Oh I hope the worms are the cause. Fingers crossed.

Hang in there and please let me know how he is doing.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Osiris is home and already back to being a brat. I forgot how rude he is. Got used to being able to actually walk. He didn't really act like anything happened though. Just hopped into the car, sniffed me, sniffed the back seat, and then back to normal. I think he missed Ember more than he missed us. Poor Stella thought he was gone for good. The look on her face when she saw him...

Si is on a couple of meds. He's getting antibiotics twice a day and a liquid medicine for the hookworms. He's also being put on a special diet. They gave us two cans. I don't know how long they think that's supposed to last.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So he is feeling that much better? Wow!! I am so glad to hear that!!!

He really missed Ember that much???? TOO FUNNY!!! Ho does Ember feel about that?

Was Stella happy to see him?

Let's hope you found out what is wrong. 2 cans? I know, they tend to do that. :( Can you get more fast?

Fingers crossed he is on the road to recovery. Make sure you let your vet know everything.

Thanks for the update!!! I feel so much better now. I love Osiris!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he apparently just had a spurt of energy. He crashed shortly after and has been sleeping. I'm guessing he didn't sleep much at the vet. They gave him fluids and the vein they put the catheter in is swollen and seems to be bothering him.

Ember actually came up to him and sniffed him. He gave her a few kisses on the head. Ash walked by and got a kiss on the head too.

Stella was horrified. Si was happy to see her though. It's very much a love- hate relationship with all the love on Si's side and on all the hate on Stella's.

I work tomorrow, so can probably get more then but I'm hoping I can find the equivalent through Purina because I get an even better deal as a vet employee than the vet clinic can get.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Excitement of coming home. Yes, the fluids probably helped. Just keep on eye on the vein.

Awwww, he loves them. That is really cute!!

Awwwww, Stella, he isn't so bad!!

Oh good. Yes, I hope you can get it in any way. Fingers crossed.

Please keep me up. I am hoping he is on the road to recovery.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to be feeling better today. I was starting to worry because he was just so tired he was barely more alert than when he'd still been partly sedated. He did start perking up in the evening, but once he realized there was nothing interesting going on he'd go back to sleep. The vein seems to have gotten a little better.

He does. More than they do him, but Ember seems to like him at least a little. She didn't attack him like she does Ash when he comes home from the vet anyway.

Stella begs to differ. Honestly, I was really hoping she'd be getting better by now. I didn't expect her to like him, but I thought once he left her alone she'd be more indifferent. He doesn't bother her very much anymore, but she hasn't improved much. I'm going to feel bad if she never accepts him.

Hopefully. This vet uses a different brand than my vet, so I have to find out what the equivalent would be.

Definitely.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that. Yeah, when they are in the emergency vet (or any vet really) it is hard for them to rest, sleep, etc. SO I am not really surprised he was tired after greeting everyone. I am glad the vein is better as well. Fingers crossed.

Awwwww, he is such a sweetheart. Ember always seemed to like him. Pretty cool.

Oh Stella. She doesn't fear him or anything? I pictured her as just not caring much. I am sure she will be fine. Don't feel badly.

Yes, that happens. I am sure you will find an equivalent.

:) Thanks!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Si did throw up yesterday. I'm thinking (hoping) it's because I gave him some of his old food, but he started heaving later that night too and nothing came up. I didn't give him any more food after the first time as the vet said to just leave it for the night and try in the morning. I got some more wet food and dry food and was told to give him wet this morning and a mix in the evening, then try just dry tomorrow.

It still amazes me how comfortable Ember got with him and how quickly. It does sometimes seem like I got my cat a dog instead of me getting a dog.

I wouldn't say she's scared, but definitely uncomfortable and does not like him at all. Maybe occasionally scared because she does get caught up under his legs sometimes. For a long time she wouldn't even lay by me because Osiris would be close by, so I guess there has been some progress but it doesn't feel like much. She still growls at him all the time and looks uncomfortable whenever he's nearby.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Let's hope. I am glad you in contact with the vet. Let me know how he does.

It is pretty amazing. Some cats are "dog" cats. Maybe Ember is? It is really cool.

Oh, that isn't uncommon or that bad. I am sure his size is intimidating. Yes, that is good progress. I suspect she will be fine with him in time. He seems like a really good dog to the other animals.

Let me know how Osiris is doing. I am hoping it is just a lingering thing and he is on the way to recovery.

Thanks for the update.