Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is. ❤

Yes, it might've been a bit much for Si. We stopped and got ice cream on the way home and shared some with him. He sat with his head on the console thing between the seats and stayed there once the ice cream was gone. He ended up falling asleep with his head there! Lol. Weird dog. And yes, he's actually gotten pretty good at going down the slides, but did jump off the side yesterday. I'm going to get a video one of these days. And I'm going to have to replace the collar...

We did start working on rear end awareness yesterday. It's funny how unaware they are of their own back ends, but they do catch on fast. And I've set up rules that Stella eats first, drinks first, goes through doors first, etc. I don't know what I expect to gain from it, but figured it couldn't hurt to try. Maybe he'll learn to think about the little critters below his eye level. I think Si and Ember are going to be good friends though. It's amazing how completely comfortable she is with him. I mean, I wouldn't have gotten a large dog if I didn't think the cats would get over it, but I didn't expect this amount of comfort this early on. She walks right under him like it's nothing. Totally normal to walk under a dog. She's been wanting his attention a lot the last couple of days and has even rubbed against his nose. I think she regretted that pretty quickly. He has a very wet nose.

Yes, he could be worse, but having a fifty-something-pound dog lunging and pulling isn't fun and he has gotten bad about that. I'm looking for a trainer, but they sure are expensive. I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for it though... I can't deal with this for who-knows-how-long. Si is just too big and only going to get bigger. It does sound like it's pretty common in adolescent GSDs, but it's still something that has to be worked on.

Yep. I'd rather learn now and use those skills later than need to fix everything later. It'll be something to experience anyway and group classes are good for teaching dogs to focus in distracting environments even if you can do all the training yourself.

I'm hoping we'll be able to put off the surgery until the beginning of next year before my classes start again. And that'll give me time to work on some scent work with Osiris. That would be an easy thing to do in the house. My mom could do it on her breaks from work and it's good for tiring a dog out. Him throwing a hard chew toy around on wood floors is a pretty good way to not get any rest, so he's going to need something to do.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Si yelling at Frost for being in his kennel:

Ember wanting Si's attention:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!!! How adorable are those videos?!?!?!?!

Si is amazing with the cats and the cats are amazing with Si!!!

Ember is GORGEOUS!!! This is the first time I have seen her. And Frost.

The cats are so confident, I LOVE it!!!

:) He is!!

Awwwwwwwww, he is spoiled!!!! What a cutie!!! He is a sweetheart. That is so funny with the slide. New collar because of the fit?

That is really good. Interesting he is catching on quickly. That is impressive. Well, it might help with him being more aware with Stella going first, Good to try it.

It is amazing how Ember has taken to him. The video was amazing. Total trust. It is pretty amazing. You have done something right, that is for sure!!! SI is really good too.

Yes, it is very common for GSDs. Ughhhhhh, expensive. :( I do think you can train him, he is very smart.

That makes sense.

That is good if you can. That would be better timing. I wouldn't worry too much about Si, I think he will do better than you fear. And he might get better by then as well. Just focus on yourself and getting well.

I can't get over those videos. They are SO CUTE!!! Frost is too funny and he was so good. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. They're all so cute. Frost didn't appreciate being yelled at, but he was in Si's crate. Frost is on his own in there.

He is getting better with them. I'd like to teach him not to approach them, but that he can sniff and interact when they approach him. Letting him go to them just gets to be too much. He won't leave them alone. But then he'll lay there and whine at them even when they're inches away because he knows he's supposed to leave them alone.

Isn't she? I just love her so much. She's so pretty and I love her little face with her big eyes. Of course, she's even prettier when her belly isn't half bald.

They really have amazed me. Ash has taken interest in Si's crate too, but isn't as inclined to stick around when the dog gets too close.

Only sometimes spoiled though. Lol. Unfortunately, he decided to jump off the side of the slide the other day and didn't land very well. Now he doesn't want anything to do with that slide. So we're going to stick with the little slides for now and hope he forgets that experience. And yes, the collar just does not fit right. Can't use it for corrections properly with where it's at.

He's doing much better with the rear end awareness. They do tend to catch on fast. It isn't hard. To start with, you just have some bowl/tub/stood/whatever for them to put their front paws on and have them move their back legs to rotate around that bowl/tub/whatever. So definitely not difficult, but the change from where we began to now is quite drastic. That's my hope, that he becomes more aware of Stella.

It is! I never would've imagined. That this quickly anyway. I had hoped Ember might befriend a dog that we raised from a young puppy(I feel bad that she doesn't have friends. Lol. She takes after me), but didn't have high hopes when we ended up with a five month old. It is amazing how she can continue surprising me though.

Yes, I really wish I could find a GSD trainer specifically, but no such luck. He's very wary of people sometimes, especially at night. There was a guy standing out there tonight on his phone and Si kept stopping and watching him. We got past the guy, but then Si kept looking back and didn't want to keep going. He's not like that with everyone and rarely gets that bad during the day. I don't mind him being watchful, but we need to be able to keep going too!

I don't know. If this morning has anything to say about how he'd act without walks, he might not survive my surgery. I had to pull into a church parking lot and stop on our way to the park this morning because he was being so obnoxious. He's such a good dog for the most part, but he is still a puppy. Sometimes he likes to remind me of that. Seems like I might be okay to put off surgery though.

We also tested out Osiris's recall today. He got the zoomies and took off for the baseball field (he likes to run on that field), but got out of my reach even with a 50 foot long line. He doesn't listen very well when he has the zoomies, so wasn't sure how that would go but I called and he came running right to me. Tried that one more time, but stuck closer to me after that.

I do have videos and pictures to post, but it'll have to be another time. I have to upload the videos and I'm tired....

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really are. I love how different they are. I love their looks. Frost's looks do not match his grumpiness. And ember, oooooooooooh, I love her looks. Hahahaha, Frost. He is too funny. And Si respects him!!! Taking over the crate.........................

Well, he loves them. They just can't resist. That is so cute he whines when so close to them. He really does love them. I honestly can't believe he is so good. It is pretty amazing. You definitely go the right dog for your situation.

She is GORGEOUS!!! Awwwwwww, she is such a sweetie. Pure love!!

Ash too???? Yes, he is a bit cautious still which is good. :/ They are something.

Hahahaha, sometimes????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;) Awwww, poor Si. Yeah, that will do it. He will get over it. Bummer on the collar. It happens all the time. :(

Ahhhhhh, interesting. I learned something. Makes sense. He is smart so really good he is catching on. Sounds like he will be more aware with Stella.

It is amazing. You have definitely done really good things for her to get her to move so quickly. I am really impressed.

Well, he is a protector. :/ It is in his DNA. He will get better. I know the feeling but he will improve but will always be protective of you. It would be nice to get a specific trainer, agreed.

:/ Yep, he is still a puppy. :/ Lots of energy bursts. Well, just make sure you do the right thing with your surgery, the best thing for you. Everything else will work out.

Wow, that was impressive. You were bold trying it out. I am impressed. He is learning fast.

Ohhhhh, great!!! Can't wait!!! I am living vicariously through you!!! :) I WANT A GS PUPPY!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're all definitely different. No, his looks don't match at all. Ember is beautiful.

I had to pull Frost out of Si's crate earlier because Si cornered him in there and Frost kept yelling at Si. Frost went right back in. Same corner too. :doh:

He's a little bit obsessed with him, honestly. Especially Ember. I have a hard time getting him to leave her alone sometimes because she does actually ask for his attention sometimes. I'm sure it's confusing trying to figure out when he can interact with them and when he can't. Sometimes he does really well at it, but then others he does really bad.

She is! I'm probably the only tortoiseshell-owning person who isn't actually biased to torties(actually not my favorite color/pattern at all), but I absolutely love her coloring. It's amazing because she can go from mostly black to almost solid orange just by walking through a patch of sunlight. I still can't figure out where all the orange is hiding.

Ash is definitely getting more comfortable with every day. He's starting to get the zoomies again.

Most of the time they earn what they get! Lol. I do hope he gets over his fear of the slide on his own. The desensitization process can be quite long and tedious. I didn't think he'd be so afraid of the slide after that tumble though. He's not fazed by much.

He's getting better and better with the rear end awareness. He is a smart dog. He has a little bit of a stubborn streak sometimes though. Sometimes he's just like, "Nope, I'm not doing anything else. I've done enough, give me my reward now." And I'm just like, "But you haven't actually done what I want you to do yet." Brat.

Ember is an amazing little cat... They've all done so much better than I expected.

I don't mind him being watchful and protective. I'm surprised he is at that level of suspicion. But I do need him to keep moving. Finding a trainer is hard though! So many trainers with so much info on their websites and yet none of it actually seems helpful.

I will. We didn't do much today because it's been a rainy day and he's done pretty well.

It wasn't entirely planned. I have been working on his recall lately and I don't tend to hold the long line because 1. he hadn't quite figured out the difference between me holding it and not holding and 2. he gets the zoomies and goes crazy and it seemed like it would end badly (for me) if I was holding the line. But he got the zoomies and took off for the baseball field (he really likes running on the baseball field) which took him well out of range.

We did have a bit of scare today. My mom was trying to make the dogs smell a little better and gave treats for it. She started with Si and then switched to Stella. I took Si and brought him up on the couch, but he immediately turned around and lunged at Stella. I had his leash, so he wasn't able to reach her but he wouldn't stop until I basically wrestled him away and he lightly bit my mom's arm once. He went in the kennel for a while after that.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only a few pictures for now. I'll try to get the videos uploaded tomorrow.

Stella because she's adorable and deserves attention too:

20201112_150738.jpg

What's that in the tree?!

20201112_111416.jpg

Just our ball and frisbee because that's the kind of day Wednesday was!

20201112_111537.jpg

The wind carried the frisbee into the tree. Then I tried using the ball to get the frisbee. I got the ball down by shaking branches, but apparently left it on the ground instead of putting it up. I went back with Stella later and the frisbee was gone. The ball was in the baseball field. Then I realized I lost the car key. During my search for the key, I found the frisbee. Then finally (after probably about an hour of searching) I found the key. I got my steps in that day for sure!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so cool. I love different cats. I guess I love all cats really, I never met one I didn't love. They are similar in ways and so unique as well. It is pretty amazing. Ember is GORGEOUS!! I know now why Frost is named Frost. ;) He is adorable. :)

Hahahaha, Frost!!! I guess he trusts Si!!!! :)

Oh yes, because he loves them. I love that Ember is so confident and trusting that she asks for the attention. Honestly, Si is like the perfect dog. I never thought he would be so good so fast. That is rare and kudos to what you have done and to the cats!! It is probably confusing but he seems to be doing well understanding and learning. He is very smart.

I admit, I LOVE Torties so I am biased. I think they are SO GORGEOUS. And Ember is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE how the color changes. Ember really is special!!!

Awwwww, that is so cool. I am so proud of Ash.

Awwwwww, ummmmm, ok. ;) I think there might be different levels of "earning". :) Hehehehehe, you are funny. Good to justify spoiling them. But the love they give definitely does earn it. I am sure it was a bit surprising. He is smart so it may take some time but he will get over it.

That is so good. Well, I do think the smarter they are the more independent they can become. I am not surprised. I have faced that quite a lot actually. But he will do just fine.

She is. Very special cat. I am really impressed by them and of course Si had a lot to do with it. Actually, it went way better than I thought which is great!!!

I am not surprised, he is a GS. That is how they are. He will understand better as time goes on but he will always be protective of you. That is too bad. I know it is hard to find people but you would think it would be more transparent. Are there GS groups that can help find a good trainer?

That is good. I think you may be surprised at how much better he will be than you fear. A lot of times dogs (and cats) sense how the human feels and adjusts accordingly. I wouldn't worry too much. Just worry about yourself healing and getting better and then going back to normal.

:O Oh wow. Whew, glad it worked out!!! Makes sense, it can be a bit dangerous with big dogs.

Hmmmmmm, I am a little surprised. That is the puppy still in him. :/ He didn't break your mom's skin, right?

Oh my, Stella is GORGEOUS!!! I never saw her before. I didn't picture her like that. I thought she was either a poodle or a chihuahua. What kind of dog is she? Gorgeous!!!

Oh my is Si gorgeous. Look at him?!?!?!?!?!?! Perfection

Oh my, you had a full day!!! Isn't that the way it is? One thing after another. A frisbee and a ball but the car keys................... I am GLAD you found them. WHEW!!!!

I am envious of your animals. I LOVE them. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are interesting little creatures. All of the colors and patterns are neat too. Haha. I guess Frost's name did end up fitting him, but he wasn't really anything like this back then! He used to be my sweet, tolerant, laid back baby. He still is with people, but just doesn't care for some animals anymore.

He's ridiculous.

It is amazing that she's so confident and comfortable. I'm glad she took to another dog so well. They've all done so well.

Torties coats can get a little chaotic for my liking. I like things neat and simple. But sometimes there is a tortie that I really like and Ember is one of the few. I'm obsessed with the way her coat lights up in the sun. I don't even like orange, but it's beautiful. Almost like she's glowing.

Lol. I make them put in a bit of effort. I'm probably a bit harder on Si with him being the youngest and the newest. The others have already proven themselves in my mind. But yes, they get a bit spoiled.

Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't have a little bit of sighthound in him. He has the same energy as them. Spurts where he goes nuts and runs around like a maniac, but then is otherwise content to curl up on the couch and sleep. And they aren't the easiest to train. They're more independent. But I think a GSD x sighthound would have a lot more prey drive!

Yes, but not likely a pure GSD and certainly not a well-bred one. It's interesting that he has a balance of suspicion and confidence. Seems like a lot of poorly bred (and some well-bred ones, even) end up being nerve-y and lack the confidence to balance out that suspicion. It's sort of a delicate balance. A group might be a good idea. I think groups can either be great or terrible depending on the people in it, but worth a try.

Yeah. I'd still like to put it off if I can, but then maybe I just really don't want to go through surgery.

That was resource guarding and not something I want to take lightly. He's shown some guarding issues before, but this has been the worst. He didn't break skin, but he certainly shouldn't have done it in the first place.

She's adorable. Haha. You're unlikely to find me with a poodle. She's a Chihuahua x Pomeranian with probably something else thrown in.

He is beautiful.

Yeah, me too especially since it's my mom's car. I can't believe I lost so many things in one day. And then found them again.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stella being a dork after finding our ball the other day:

Si losing his mind out on the baseball field:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really are. Amazing creatures. Oh I love the colors. My black cats look reddish in the sun. It is so cool. Oh, I was thinking of Frost the color. But I guess he is a bit "frosty" with other animals nowadays. ;) He seems to like Si though.

Hahahaha, yep. The pics he sure looks sweet and innocent. :)

It is. I was expecting her needing more time. A credit to Si and all your work with them. They are doing really well. Awesome.

Awwwwwww. I tend to love that but I can see what you mean. I love the tortie look. Ember is GORGEOUS. I can imagine the look in the sun. I just love how the coats look.

Hehehehe, yep. ;)

Hmmmmmmm, yeah, I would think if that is the case he would be prey driven. I see everything that tells me he is all GS.

Hmmmm, you really think so? He looks an acts GS to me. Maybe a group would work? I was thinking a group to recommend a trainer. I know you will figure it out.

:( I know. But it has to be done. :(

Yes, I thought that was what it was. Now I know it was. :/ Yeah, not good BUT I think he will get over it. VERY GOOD he didn't break the skin. That tells me he is very aware.

Hahahahaha, I always said that but I got a rescue poodle. TOO FUNNY!!!! WOW, what a combo. Stella is GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to watch the video of her.

He really is. Like stunningly beautiful. honestly, my fave look to be honest.

:O Oh my!!! Whew. I know, some days it happens BUT usually the luck doesn't allow for everything to then be found. Whew.

How cute is that? Stella is gorgeous. I think she loves playing ball!!! Hahahahaha

Si!!!! How gorgeous. What a happy dog. I did get dizzy on that video. Hahahaha. He is really coordinated. He is losing that puppy awkwardness. Ohhhhhhhhh I love him!!! He is such a sweetie!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are amazing. The reddish hues in black cats are cool. Si sometimes looks a bit reddish in sunlight too. Frost was, technically, named after Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians though I wouldn't have named him that if he wasn't white. I had to come up with a name on the spot after we found out he was male. His name was Bella. And he's kind of a jerk to Si. Certainly not afraid of him, but not very nice either.

That's what he wants you to think.

I honestly didn't think Ember would take to him so well even before he started barking and chasing them. I figured our chances of a relatively easy introduction were gone completely once that happened.

I find torties interesting and they're fun to look at, but it gets to be a bit much for me. I love the way the orange blends into the black, but I like a certain balance. Ember, to me, is perfect. She is beautiful and she knows it. She just has the cutest little face too. Small and dainty looking with big, bright eyes.

GSDs are supposed to have a high prey drive too though. They're just more dependent on their handler to guide them whereas sighthounds were bred to follow their own instincts to chase. So his lack of prey drive is actually a pretty good sign he's not purebred or at least no well bred. Someone on the GSD forum said his tail isn't quite right for a GSD either. It is kind of funny how he seems to have gotten nearly all his looks from a GSD and he also has a lot of little quirk known to GSDs (the head tilt!), but he lacks the two things GSDs are bred for: drive and stamina. His stamina is better now that it's cooler though.

Yes, I did message a GSD club near us, but unfortunately they haven't replied. Group classes were my initial plan, but I gave up on them because of his leash reactivity.

I honestly doubt I'll be able to get the surgery for a while either way. Some places are already cutting out non-emergency surgeries. But I have an appointment with the ENT tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

He'd better. I can't manage this for the rest of his life. He lunges at her just for sniffing the floor sometimes. There's not much I can do about Stella sniffing the floor.

Poodles sound like awesome dogs, honestly. I just can't get past the curly coat. I don't like any of the curly-coateds, wire-haireds, or anything not fur. Stella is adorable. She's a sweetie for sure.

Yep, mine too. Or at least one of them. I can't pick just one.

Yeah, I came home and told my mom I wasn't sure if I was really unlucky for losing so many things or really lucky for being able to find them all!

She loves fetch. Unfortunately, we don't play it very often because of her bad knees. She's a little ball crazy.

Haha, yeah it can be a bit dizzying. I'm used to it though. He does it pretty much every day. Definitely not quite so awkward. He's so tall he just walks on and off the couch.

I got a new snuffle mat and a flirt pole in today. He loves them! Had a blast with the flirt pole at the park today.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are amazing. Oh, I know, the hues. So cool. I can see where Si might have that. I had to google Rise of the Guardians. Cool, I like Dreamworks films!! Awwwww, cool name, it works!!!! Hahahaha, Frost is funny. Yeah, he likes to let Si know who is in charge. :) Si does well with him so I think Si knows he doesn't mean too much harm.

Hahahaha!!!! He succeeds!!!! :)

Agreed. It is really amazing and a testament to Si and all your efforts. GREAT JOB!!! She is much more confident than I think we thought.

I agree. Torties are gorgeous. You probably like "cleaner lines". I love that Tortie look. And they tend to be such cool cats. Ember really is. I could really see her face but I LOVE her coloring. Gorgeous!!! I LOVE that she knows it!!! Hehehehehehe

Are they? I didn't realize that. Maybe mine weren't developed? But if it is instinct? Hmmmmmmm His tail? He sure looks and acts like a GS to me. I think he is perfect. I LOVE his personality. He sure acts like a GS. He is a protector. Hmmmmmmmm. That face sure looks like a perfect GS to me. He seems like he has drive and yes, stamina can be an issue with puppies.

Hopefully they get back to you soon. Well, leash reactivity now but when the time comes?

:( Yes. The virus is really, really bad right now and the hospitals are getting filed. And with the holidays it is going to get worse if people don't get careful. It is really scary. :( I hope your tonsils can hold out. :/

Do you think it is play? My GSs LOVED to lunge and play that way.

My poodle was seriously abused so it was a different experience. I don't know much about them to be honest but my girl was a sweetheart.I am not a fan of the wirehaired either. :/ And I like big dogs. :/ Stella is GORGEOUS. I did not picture her looking like that. I was like "WOW!!!". What a gorgeous face!!!

Hahahaha, yeah, I too like others but that is my fave by far.

Hahahaha, I am a glass half full so I say lucky!!! :)

Awwwwwwww. Yeah, but she looked really good in the video. But I know, it is hard as they can go out. :( But she looked really good and happy in the video.

Hahaha, yes!!! He is so cute. I can see him doing that, he loves it. Yep, that helps. And he is getting older and more coordinated.

Awwwwwwwwww, yep, he is spoiled. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Rise of the Guardians. Still kinda do. My mom had named him Bella after Bella from Twilight. Si definitely knows the cats aren't going to do anything to him. At this point slapping him does more harm than good. He nipped Ember's tail and got a good whacking from her, but he just moved to sniff her. :doh:

She definitely has some confidence hidden away in there. Who knew Ember would end up being a dog-cat?

Yes, I like things to be a little neater. More organized. I do like calicos. But I'm obsessed with Ember.

Yep. Prey drive does a lot more than make a dog want to chase. Dogs need prey drive to work. The difference is how it's channeled. To be honest, I don't fully understand drive myself. There's prey drive, toy drive, work drive, and probably some others that I can't think of, but the lines of what's what are a bit hazy and they're all interrelated. But yes, GSDs are supposed to have prey drive. Show lines will have less. Some working lines vary a bit, but tend to have at least fairly high prey drives. From what I've read, Si's drives are all pretty low. Not non-existent, but low. He has decent toy drive, but not that intense focus that a lot of working dogs have. But there will be a lot of variation in rescues. Mix breeds and poorly bred dogs won't be the same. And someone said his tail was whip-like. He's not as crazy as a lot of GSD puppies either. I've read a lot of threads about people unable to keep up with their pup.

I don't think they're getting back to me. :ohwell: I have found a few trainers though and I think I'm going to email them. None of them have prices on their pages, so I have to ask about that. I still want to do group agility classes once he's over his reactivity!

I had my appointment today. I think my primary doctor overreacted a tad. The ENT said surgery isn't required. It's up to me. I'm going to try to wait at least until my spring break, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get the surgery at all. Sounds like it would be pretty bad if I did.

No. I know his play style. It's very obvious. This isn't play. It's very sudden and very fast. And it's always when he thinks Stella found some piece of food.

:( Poor dog. They're supposed to be affectionate, intelligent dogs. Second smartest breed in the world. Energetic and athletic, but not over-the-top crazy. Stella is wonderful. I love her happily prancing next to me, looking up at me with all the love and joy in the world. You can just see her emotions so clearly.

I'm stuck on three. I like solid black or almost black GSDs, dark or black sable GSDs, and blue merle border collies. I like any husky with blue eyes too...

It's a good example of how my life tends to go. Something can seem so terrible, but then it all turns out just fine at the last second. Sort of like with my tonsils.

Her knees didn't pop out the whole time the other day and we did quite a bit. We started on the baseball field, then went across the grass, and went on down the path while I kicked the ball for her. It seems to be tall grass that causes her knees to go out, so sometimes we'll play when the grass is short. She's loves playing though and doesn't let her knees slow her down much.

He is.

Sshh. It's more for my sanity anyway. Keeps him busy. The flirt pole requires more effort on my part though. I'm trying to avoid sharp turns to protect his joints, but that just means I have to run more. His new puzzle toy came in today. He figured it out within minutes. He's too smart. I can't find anything that keeps him occupied for more than five minutes.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, I never saw it. Maybe some day as I like those kind of movies. Awwwwwwww. I like the name Bella. You and your mom are so good with finding great names with meaning. Si trusts them. Pretty amazing. Yep, dogs LOVE cats tails moving around. :/ Hahahaha, yep. Like, ok, sniff.

She sure does!!! I know. Some cats are. Some of my ferals are which worries me. My former feral now inside cat would walk with the dogs when I walked them. And my boy LOVES girl dogs. In a way I can see Ember being a dog cat.

Yes, many people are like that. Awwwwwww, that is so cool. Ember has looks and that personality. You two have such a bond!!! REALLY cool!!!

Interesting. I am learning!!! Si seemed very toy driven but........... Interesting.

:/ Well, maybe they are busy? But it is good that you are checking with other trainers. I do worry abut no prices........... You may have to learn how to negotiate. Yes, that would be good to do the group agility.

Whew, that is good news!!! The ENT person is the expert. Oh wow, I didn't know the surgery was so bad. Whew, that is good news it isn't necessary.

:/ Ahhhhhhh. I think you will be able to teach him.

Awwwww, Stella sounds so sweet. I love her looks but she is so lovable too. VERY cool!!

Awwww, those are good faves!!!

That is a good thing. Not everyone is so lucky.

Wow, that is really good. Maybe the long grass tangles up and twists her legs? She looked really good in the video. She sure does look like she loves it!!!

He really is. I LOVE his looks!!

Hahahahaha. :) Yes, that makes sense. It is good you are protecting his joints. Oh my, yep, he is too smart!!! He is something!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom thinks I'm weird for liking animated movies, but I honestly often prefer them. Rise of the Guardians is a cute movie. Aimed towards children, of course, but still. I wouldn't say my names were all that creative. I literally wanted a gray cat so I could name him Ash. I'm not sure why I was so obsessed with the name. Frost was an on-the-spot decision because he's white and I liked Jack Frost. Bella because my mom was obsessed with those movies. My mom came up with Ember to fit the theme. I didn't name Stella. Osiris was the only one that actually had a lot of thought put into it! Probably too much thought.

I think it's interesting how they all have their preferences. With the stereotypes, you wouldn't think there would be dogs who prefer cats or cats who prefer dogs, but Stella does better with cats than most dogs and Ember is more accepting of dogs than she is cats. It's funny how far off our stereotypes can be.

Well, I can be a perfectionist. Animals get more slack than most things, but some things still bother me to an extent. I can recognize torties as pretty cats, but it's still not a preference of mine. Other than Ember. I do think she's a beautiful cat with such an expressive face (you should've seen the look she had on her face when Si went into my room the other day!) and her personality is bold and confident when she's comfortable.

I'm learning too, honestly. I'm on the GSD forum all the time and reading what other people say. The drives still confuse me, to be honest. I just compare to how people describe their dogs and the videos I've watched. Si isn't anything like those dogs. He does really like his flirt pole. That's probably the closest I've gotten to a high toy drive with him. He does like his toys, but doesn't have quite the same intense focus that some dogs have.

People don't like posting prices for some reason. I can't figure out why they're like that. I did hear back from the one place. They technically did have prices, but I wasn't sure what package I would need. $550 for 8 in-facility lessons or $850 for 8 at-home lessons. Honestly not a bad price, but I was hoping to be done in 1-3 lessons and do behavior modification only whereas it sounds like they'd still be including obedience training. I could potentially do the $550, but I don't really want to drive there. It's out in the city 36 minutes away and I hate city driving (I hate driving in general).

I didn't either. I've heard it gets worse when you get older, but he made it sound a lot worse.

She is sweet. Sometimes a tad obnoxious though. It's been a bit noisy today with cars outside and she's been reacting quite a bit. Si doesn't react nearly as much and is quicker to stop when told.

They're all so pretty. Blue merle is probably my favorite color/pattern (plus it usually comes with blue eyes), but I like the overall look of GSDs and husky mixes more than the breeds that come in blue merle.

I'm not sure what it is about long grass, but that definitely seems to be an issue for Stella. Otherwise she's mostly okay. Sometimes if she starts running too quickly too suddenly then she might hop on three legs for a step or two, but she doesn't even bother stopping anymore.

I do too. Sometimes I find myself staring at him thinking about how pretty he is. And he looks at me out of the corner of his eye like he'd really appreciate it if I stopped staring at him...

Far too smart. I give him both puzzles we have and the snuffle mats and I'm lucky if it keeps him entertained for 10 minutes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then your mom would think I am weird as well (and I am older than your mom by far). :) But I'll take that kind of "weird". I actually love animated films. Some Disney films can be a bit sad but I do like most of them and I love the Pixar and Dreamworks movies. I do need to see Rise of the Guardians. Honestly, I think it is good to keep a little of the "child" in us as we mature or get older. I think your names are creative. You are a very creative person. Awwwwwwwww. That is pretty good. I think the names are perfect. It is fun. Si is a great name. I don't think too much. Great job on names!!!

Totally. Goes with animals and people. It is amazing. I find the animals absolutely fascinating. Some dogs are so cat like and some cats doglike, then they like the others etc. There is so much complexity in their personalities.

It is hard being a perfectionist. ;) I was one a long time ago and realized it is not really possible. But it is good to always try and do your best but accepting is also a good skill to learn. It is a learned balance. I still battle it a little but am still trying to improve. That is good you give the animals more slack. Yes, things can be a bother but again, it is a balance. You will learn I know. And realize being upset isn't worth it for most things. Better to try to make it as good as possible and be as content as possible. But I know, it is hard. Yes, the fact you see their beauty is great. The great thing is, there is no right and wrong in feelings. So not a preference is fine. We don't always have to fit into the same slot, being independent and yourself is important. I am not a fan of little dogs. I can like them but that is not my preference. But I have to be me and accept it and do my best. As long as we make a positive difference I think that is what matters. Ember is gorgeous. Some day I would love to see her face better. ;) I love her personality. Oh, I think I may know "that" look. It is like "excuse me, what are you doing in here?". Hahahahaha Yes, I can see that. I really like her and I like that she loves you so much and is so bonded. That tells me a lot as well.

Yes, it is complex. That is good you are wanting to learn still. That is really the key to life. I think determining for your self by watching the videos, etc is a really good idea. So you formulate your own ideas rather than accept what someone may believe. Of course, seeing what others think is very helpful so again there is a balance. But thinking about it rather than absorbing the views (if that makes sense). Are they more trained dogs? Pretty cool he loves his flirt toy. He seems pretty intense in other way especially in protecting you.

They probably don't post prices so they have more flexibility. :/ Making money is a big reason they do it. :/ Wow, I thought that was a lot of money. Interesting. See if they would adjust the package to include what you want? Do you think they are good? Oh wow, that is a long drive. :/ I don't like driving either and our traffic is horrible. Nowadays we don't drive anymore because of Covid.

Ewwwwwww, that is not good. :( Does he think you will never have to have them taken out?

She seems like it. Well, all animals get obnoxious at some points. :/ But the positives way outweigh those times (even when we don't think it in the moment.). I think Stella is gorgeous. Si is a GS so he is not only smart but also more obedient. They tend to be a lot better than other breeds.

They really are!! I had to google Blue Merle. Ohhhhhhhhhhh, GORGEOUS!!!! Yes, I prefer GSs and Huskies, etc but I do like the breeds that came up in google under Blue Merle. I so want another dog or two............................... :/

Hmmmmm. I wonder. I am glad she is mostly ok otherwise. Wow, she is determined. She is learning to live with it. As long as she doesn't hurt herself.

Awwwwwww. I know exactly what you mean. You look and just see all the nuance, the beauty. Hahahahaha, I love that look they give, I know what you mean. My one girl has that exact look.

Wow. Yes, he does seem off the charts smart. That is another piece of evidence. He is an amazing dog.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love them too. Yes, some can be sad. It's always a little surprising when a kid's movie ends up sad. I guess I never really left the kid movie phase though since by the time I outgrew them, I had a younger sister. I definitely put way more effort into names now than before. Now I probably wouldn't ever settle for such simple names. I like names with meaning. Makes it a lot harder for me.

Yes, definitely. It's interesting to watch them. They're fascinating to learn about.

I'm a perfectionist, but I'm also quite lazy. Sometimes I'll just let things bother me because I don't feel like fixing them. Lol. I'm glad I give animals a lot more slack because otherwise I wouldn't be able to handle any animal other than solid colored ones! I have struggled with accepting my color/pattern preferences. Sometimes people act like you shouldn't have a preference and temperament is everything. Of course temperament is most important, but that doesn't mean you can't have a color/pattern that you like. I sort of feel like that GSD rescue we had the interview with had that sort of mindset. I'd try explaining what I want, but the second I'd say anything about wanting a dog that looks like a GSD, she'd cut me off and wouldn't let me finish. She never said anything directly, but I definitely didn't feel respected and I'm not sure if it's because of my age (she did focus on my mom a lot) or because I wanted a certain look. Ember is a lovely cat. I'll have to dig out some pictures.

The drives are weird. I get them to an extent, but the details are confusing. Work drive is simply the desire to work. GSDs are good at pretty much everything because they're eager to work. They'll do anything. Prey drive is the desire to chase and (sometimes) bite. GSDs need prey drive to go chase and bite the bad guys when they're police dogs or protection dogs. Toy drive is the desire to work for a toy, but prey drive influences this because chasing and catching a toy is part of prey drive. Toy drive is important for working dogs because those trainers tend to use toy rewards over food rewards. This explanation may be over simplified, but it's the best way I can keep them straight. I think it would be difficult (if not impossible) to find a dog with no prey drive. However, I'd be having a lot more trouble with Si chasing the cats if he had a high prey drive. He definitely has some drive or he wouldn't like the flirt pole. Or chasing bugs. Drives are, mostly, ingrained. Dogs are born with them. You can influence them, but only to an extent. A low drive dog is never going to be a high drive dog. You find what they like (food, ball, tug, etc.) and work with it by keeping that thing special and building excitement around that thing. A high drive dog is hard to explain though. You can just see it in their posture and the look in their eyes. You can see it in the way they respond to a command instantly and never disengage from their handler.

I did talk to them about the behavior modification because they're site doesn't actually say anything about that. Just offers agility and obedience. I really liked the sound of their site and their Facebook page. They have all good reviews. I don't know anything other than that though. They did say they'd help with the issues, but I didn't want to pay extra for the obedience stuff. I've found group classes for $60 for 6 lessons for obedience, but I need him to get over his leash reactivity before I can take him to group classes. I hate driving on any road with more than 2 lanes. The city is horrifying. And of course Covid is an issue. It's getting worse so it's entirely possible all classes will be canceled. I'm pretty sure most group classes have been.

He doesn't think it'll ever be required. Some people get sore throats and infections, but I haven't had any of those issues. It's just a nuisance and feels like I have stuff stuck in my throat sometimes. So it's just if I want to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Stella is just so dang emotional. She's can be very excitable and very anxious. Not just some excitement or anxiety, but literally shivering with excitement and/or anxiety. She's very whiney. She's a wonderful, sweet dog, but sometimes I just want her to get a grip.

Blue merles are beautiful. Australian shepherds are probably the most common blue merles with border collies in second. People breeding designer breeds and breeding for money are introducing blue merle to other breeds too though. Me too! I'm definitely at my limit right now though. Stella would probably appreciate it if I never got another dog. And maybe got rid of the one I did get.

Yeah, she does alright and I'm hoping it stays that way. It's a very expensive and risky surgery to fix her knees.

He's just so pretty it isn't even fair. And I still can't choose just one word to describe him. He's somehow cute, pretty, handsome, and beautiful all at once.

Now if only he'd apply those smarts to training. :ohwell: He's been a little stubborn lately.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty cool. Well, life has sadness so.......................... I think it is wonderful you have such great names.

Totally!!

You do not seem lazy to me. Well, you are what you are. But it is good you are realizing and I think improving. It is impossible to be perfect. But doing your best as you say is key. Well, preferences are there and they aren't the worst. A person likes what they like and are more likely to do good things when liking something and are comfortable with it. Yeah, some rescues are tough but you can't take it personally. I think they try their best and want to make sure it is the right fit. You are very mature for your age which is great.

I like Ember for a lot of reasons. Oh good, pics. :)

Interesting, that is very helpful. So you don't think your working with him to accept the cats didn't restrain his prey drive? (Or his prior experience with his foster?)

Well that is good to hear about their quality. Yes, given the pandemic going crazy it will probably have to stop. :/

Oh, well that is good. Hopefully he is right.

Yes, that is fairly common. I had a Dobbie that was VERY emotional. Sweet, protective but emotional. It is hard but let the love for her come through.

Yes!!! :/ I don't like limits. :( But they are my own. I have to give her animal my all. Stella is doing alright though? Better than you expected, right?

:( Yes. That would be a last resort I would think.

TOTALLY AGREE!!! He is honestly my dream dog.

Sometimes the smarter they are the more stubborn they are. :/ You'll get him there though. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is true. It was nice not having to think of Stella's name, I'll say that. No clue what I would've called her.

I'm lazy in certain ways. I'm good at procrastinating and if I don't really care about something than it's hard to be motivated to do it, let alone do it perfectly so sometimes it becomes a battle between my perfectionism and my laziness. I've come to realize that there's nothing wrong with preferences as long as you don't let them blind you completely. If you're going to a rescue then you need an open mind. If I spend a couple thousand dollars on a purebred puppy then I might expect a little closer to exactly what I want, but it's still not guaranteed. I understand rescues being picky, but sometimes their pickiness gets in the way of finding that great home. The place we got Si from wasn't picky at all. They didn't bother contacting any of our references or the vet and were ready to send Si with us the day we met him. That, to me, is a little rushed, but it certainly made it easier for us.

Ember is wonderful. Sort of a brat, but that's probably my fault.

I think his fosters would've been able to tell us he wasn't good with cats if he had a high prey drive! Dogs with high prey drive can learn to live with cats, but usually only if they've been raised with them or with a lot of effort from a young age. Once Osiris got over his fear of the cats, he pretty much stopped chasing them on his own. I didn't have to do anything. Sometimes he gets excited when they keep running around, but he handles a quick run through without flinching.

I'm afraid that's going to be the case, so at this point I'm wondering if I should just try to deal with it myself until spring and see if I still need help then. I'd rather not, but at this point I don't know if I can even afford it. Ash has been peeing outside the litter box lately. I put a puppy pee pad down and he peed a lot, so not a UTI. I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow anyway though, so who knows what'll happen or how much I'll have to pay for that.

Well, Stella certainly isn't protective. That dogs loves everyone. I'd say she wouldn't hurt a fly, but she does eat flies. I love Stella, but it gets frustrating. She's a great dog, but I can't take her anywhere without her whining and crying. If we go anywhere other than the park in town then she she spends the whole car ride shaking, panting, blowing her coat, and whining.

I don't like limits either, but then even I'm afraid to know how many I'd have without limits. I'm not sure I can say Stella is doing better than I expected, but I didn't expect to get a 50 lb 5 month old puppy or expect him to have resource guarding issues towards her. I'd hope she'd tolerate him better. He doesn't really bother her much anymore other than occasional tramplings, but she still growls at him a lot and I can tell she isn't happy with the situation. I just hope she can get over it. I feel bad putting her through this, but I was planning on getting a large breed before I ever had her.

Why don't you come get him? :ohwell: I think we may be entering the "rebellious teenage" phase. He definitely seems a little more reluctant to listen these past few days and today he was jumping up on me quite a bit while at the park. He's never been particularly bad about jumping up and has only done it to me a handful of times since getting him until today, but he even jumped on my mom today.