Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so impressed and proud of her!!! Well, he is a puppy. Wanting to play but he is accepting them. I am a little surprised by Frost because he warmed up to him the quickest BUT sometimes there is a power struggle. Probably a little redirection to Ember. :/ Yes, the running is something that can cause issues. Just try to train him not to. He is a pup though. Really good that Frost was playing near him. Si is doing well, he does love them. Really cool.

Yes!!!

:(

He loves her.

He must hear something. I am guessing he is protecting. Yes, dogs will do that.

Yes, I am surprised. Seems to work like that. We think one thing and get something else. Yeah, it is to bad. I am sure he would love that.

Awwwwwwwwww. I wish!! Yes, with pent up energy they can be that way. I have a few cats I might trade you. ;) He can't be a bigger pest then them!!! Hahahahahaha

Enjoy these puppy moments because they go quickly. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. I just go back and forth on how much I should let him get away with. Ember can't come out without Si up her butt. She doesn't seem to mind too much, but sometimes she gets tired of it (though still very rarely hisses or slaps at him) and I don't really want it to be a habit for him, but then I also wonder if he'll just get over it after some time and he won't bother them so much anymore. With Frost, I think that's just normal Frost behavior. He's gotten comfortable with Si, so there's no fear holding him back. He's treating Si like he does Ember which is all quite normal for him at this point. He just likes causing trouble. Si's prey drive overall doesn't seem very high. The cats have jumped up on things and darted off real quick without reaction from him. He just seemed to think, "Oh, the cat is playing! Maybe he'll let me play with him!"

He's such a loving dog, really. Obnoxiously so at times, but he does love everyone in this house.

It's interesting that all the obvious noises (mailman, cars doors, etc.) that usually trigger Stella don't faze him in the slightest, but the sound no one else seems to hear sends him into a barking fit. I usually consider Stella pretty noise sensitive, but even she doesn't bark like he does.

Yeah, so annoying. The kid area is sort of perfect too since it isn't geared towards dogs, and large dogs in particular, so everything tends to be low down. It would be easier on him and his joints to start off on that. I don't really know where else to go.

Hahaha. I think I'm good on cats! He did pretty well this morning. My mom had to go somewhere, so we just went on a late walk after she got back. I was worried we might not all make it until she got back since Si is used to going for his walk pretty much right after she gets up, but he settled well and didn't cause too much trouble.

Yes, definitely need to enjoy them while I can, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to him maturing.

Oh, and I had to take both dogs to the vet this last Tuesday. Osiris had to get his final distemper shot and his ear was bothering him, so got that checked out. Turns out he got some debris in his ear! My mom did always say his ears were so big everything could just fly right into them... So he's on some drops for that. He doesn't like it very much, but fortunately we're almost done. Stella went because I gave her a chew and she bled all over it... She has some gingivitis, but we also discovered she has a fractured tooth, so she has to get some dental work done. The vet thinks they'll be able to just remove the fragment and not the whole tooth, but won't know for sure until he's able to get in there and work on it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so weird. So I checked the content and the last post was mine. But I clicked on the thread and it took me to my post BUT I see you made a post. I don't understand. AND I never got an alert on this response.

Yes, that is tricky. It is good Ember doesn't mind too much. Si will get over it in time, she is still a novelty, but it probably is good to correct him when possible. Frost is doing well. I am impressed Si is over them running, playing for the most part (or at least not too bothered).

He really seems like it. Lovely dog. :)

Maybe because he knows those sounds while the others are unknown and then maybe a risk?

:( It is too bad but hopefully at some point. I would guess he would love it. I can imagine there aren't many places to go. :/

Hahahahaha. ;) ME TOO!! Hahahaha Good job Si!!! He is adjusting and getting better accepting changes.

Hahahaha, you are honest and we all tend to feel that way when in the middle of it.

Oh my. Dogs are a lot easier to give drops than cats at least. Hope he gets over it soon. Poor Stella, that can happen. I hope they could save the tooth. Let me know. Fingers crossed.

It is always something with animals. :(

You sounds so in control. That is really nice. Things must be going well. :)

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't too surprised to not hear from you but this is ridiculous. So I don't get an alert. I check my content and there is no new post from you (only my last one before this). But luckily I was curious and clicked and scrolled down. First time I have had a failure on the content way of finding the last post. :( ARGHHHHHHHH I can't be the only on this is happening to. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is weird. I don't know what's going on. I mean, sometimes I don't get an alert, but it's not very often. I don't know what's going on.

Si is slowly getting over the cats. He still bothers them a lot, but only Frost is really mean to him. The other two are quite tolerant. Si definitely watches them when they go running, but just doesn't seem to have a very high prey drive. Now, if they start playing with a toy then that's an entirely different situation. He wants to go and take the toy!

I don't know with him and his barking. It's still a bit of an issue, but we're working on it. And Stella sets him off sometimes. She doesn't usually really bark, but starts a huffy noise and that's enough to set him off.

I think we're going to try for that farm again with the playground area. We want to work on taking him farther and farther away so he can travel with us. Stella is the issue though because I either need to find someone to keep her while we're gone or medicate her so she can go with us.

Lol. Yes, he's getting better. He still has his tantrums sometimes and gets overly excited. It's hard driving with him in the back. And he still gets very bite-y when he's frustrated.

I don't always feel in control! I'm going to go broke because of these animals. I'm taking Ember and Frost to work with me tomorrow... Frost because the fur on his belly has become very thin and his skin is mostly exposed. The vet is concerned if there could be a bladder issue, but Frost acts fine. He's eating, he's been playing with toys... I haven't noticed any issues. Ember... I'm honestly not even sure why I'm taking her. She somehow ended up with pee on her one day. It was on her lower back, her neck, and a little on her sides. When I went to clean out the litter boxes, I noticed there was pee tracked across the floor of the storage room. Just splatters of it in a line. No idea what happened. Now the vet wants to see her too and I figured maybe I could bring up her fur loss again too since she never grew it back. I have some Gabapentin to give her before going.

That's alright! Not your fault you didn't get a notification. I am down to only two classes, so I should be responding within maybe a day or two at most. Unless I get lazy as I did a couple of days recently. But Mondays and Thursdays are the only days I can say I probably won't respond because I have work. It definitely seems like there should be other people having the same issue, but I don't know why. I certainly don't have that problem to nearly the same degree.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( I know. It is really frustrating. Now today the alert is here by the bell on the sire but I never got an email. :( But I got emails for 2 other threads. I don't get it. :(

That is fantastic. Si almost seems a touch cat like. My dobbie mix was like that. Maybe Si doesn't pay enough attention to Frost and it makes Frost upset? Yep, they will play with the toy. That sounds amazing. Great job Si!!!

I am guessing he is a protector. Some dogs are more vocal and protecting. It does take getting used to. But I think you can train him, he is very smart. But he will be a protector. Really sweet.

Cool. Yeah, poor Stella. That does make it more difficult. Si will probably love that.

That is great. Yep, pups will do that. That is really normal. I have had many dogs like Si and many A LOT worse. He is going to be just fine.

:( Yes, it is easy to feel like that when everything happens at once. :( Poor Frost but your vet will figure it out. Hmmmmm on Ember. I would definitely bring up the fur loss since she will be there. Was it cat pee or dog pee? Maybe she scared one of the boys and it happened accidentally?

Sounds good. Well, you deserve some rest time as well!! Yes, I don't understand why I have that problem. And it is not just this thread but others as well. But not having it in my content was the first time I had that issue. I honestly do not understand. :(

Let me know how Ember and Frost do at the vet. Fingers crossed all is ok. It is nice to have a vet you can trust.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't know.

I have a hard time getting Si to leave Frost alone. :ohwell: It's honestly pretty much the same treatment Frost gives Ember, but perhaps slightly worse since Osiris goes out of his way to approach and sniff Frost.

I do hope he can be trained out of it. I don't mind an alert bark or two, but he either needs to stop at that or at least stop when he's told. As it is right now, it's almost 50/50 on whether or not he'll stop when told. He growls even more than he barks though and that's harder to stop.

I don't know what to do with Stella. I'm going to ask the vet about meds, but I doubt there's anything that wouldn't make her drowsy or out of it. Doesn't really do much good to make her drowsy when you're going for a hike. Leaving her for a few hours isn't a big deal, but we want to get further and further away.

I try to remind myself all the time that he could be way worse, but when he's in the middle of a tantrum or he's biting everything in sight it can be difficult. I do think he'll mature into a really lovely dog though. I just keep telling myself that!

I don't know if I'm going to be able to bring both of them. I hurt my ankle yesterday morning and I don't think I'll be able to deal with two cats that I have to take up and down the stairs when I can barely get up and down the stairs on my own. I'm thinking about taking Frost and not Ember since Ember acts fine and I don't really know what health issue she could have that would cause her to end up covered in pee. It was definitely cat pee. Smelled bad. I'm not sure I could recognize dog pee that easily. I thought maybe she attacked Ash while he was in the litterbox, but still don't know how that would end with her covered in pee. I mean, I could see her paws and legs, but her back and neck? So weird. Honestly, I don't even want to take Frost to the vet though. He acts fine. He's eating and playing and everything, but that fur loss is weird, especially since that's how Ember started out.

Frost nearly gave me a panic attack last night. I was tempted to take him to the vet and leave him! They all love him, someone would take him... I went to my room to play with the cats before feeding them last night and realized Frost hadn't come which is weird since, even if he doesn't play, his food bowl in back there. I looked for him and asked my mom if she'd seen him. She said no so then I went around the house calling for him. Nothing. He always comes when called. Maybe not immediately, but he will come. If he gets stuck somewhere then he'll meow. There was nothing. I went to the basement even though I would've expected to hear his meowing in the vents by then (he goes down there just to get spooked and start meowing). I was just about convinced he'd gotten outside and was missing when my mom started yelling that she'd found him. He'd been in the linen closet in the hall. :ohwell: I walked past that closet probably three or four times. He had to of been in there for a while too. Usually after that long he'd start meowing to be let out. But nope. He never made a sound. :frustrated:

I made myself a liar pretty quick. Okay, so sometimes I might be able to reply on Thursdays. I really don't understand the issue either. It's odd for the notifications to be so inconsistent.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Neither do I. :(

That is common. My guess is Si wants him to like him, play with him. :/ Poor Si.

I think he will. They get so focused. But 50/50 at this point is really good. The growling suggest protection in my view. That is tougher to stop. He is a protector it seems (which is really good).

Yes, that is a challenge. :/

Oh yes, WAY WORSE. Actually I think he is doing amazingly well. I guess I have had so many so I have seen it all. I think he is a great dog. I would be happy with a dog like that. But it can be difficult for people who don't have a baseline really. He is going to be an amazing dog it seems to me.

Oh my, I hope your ankle gets better soon. That is the worst. :( Yes, neither seems urgent so waiting isn't the end of the world. Frost would be the priority. It could just be an allergy etc but the vet would be helpful. I suspect it was something like that with Ember. It can happen. :/

Oh my!!! I KNOW. That awful feeling. And when they don't call out. Argghhhhhhh. But at least he was safe. He may have actually like it. I know mine do that ALL THE TIME. They listen when they want to. :/ At least he was ok!!!! Whew

Hahaha, I like when you are a liar..... ;)

Agreed. And especially weird is the lack of being in the Content section. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Si definitely wants them to like him.

Well, at least right now it seems like Stella mostly starts the barking. She usually huffs or growls which gets him going. Not sure that's really much better though because she does that a lot. But he does surprise me sometimes and stays quiet, so I reward him for that.

He's great, but that doesn't mean he can't be difficult still. It's a bit better now because I've taken the stress off of training and am trying to focus more. There's so many things I want to do that I think I overwhelm him sometimes (and myself, to be honest), so I'm going to start setting monthly training tasks and focus on one thing each month. This is my first time working with an adolescent puppy. I've worked with young puppies, I've worked with adults, but never one at this particular age. It's not easy and, if I'm being honest, I don't think I'll do it again. At least not without a lot more experience and a lot more patience.

I got caught up in Si's long line. I don't know how it got under my jeans and in my boot, but it did and gave me a pretty bad rug burn. I almost went to the doctor for it, but Friday morning it was looking slightly better and feeling quite a bit better. It's still bothering me a little, but much better. I didn't end up taking either of the cats though. Figured neither of them seemed to be super urgent. I still want to get Frost in, but I'm not sure if I'm going to take Ember. Ash seemed constipated yesterday. I was cleaning the litter boxes and he went to use one (one I had just cleaned, of course), but didn't do anything for a bit. Then he finally dropped a tiny piece of poo and ran off, dropping another tiny piece of poo on the floor.

It was horrifying. Frost always comes when you call, "Kitty, kitty, kitty." He responds to that better than his name, but he does come. I even shook a bag of treats and nothing. And then I got a towel from the linen closet, took a shower, dried off, and ended up covered in white cat fur...

We took Si back to that farm today. We got there and there were a ton of cars! And yet saw almost no one there. At first anyway. I did get him on the kid play area and he did pretty well. He isn't fazed by anything. He'll climb up on things and walk across the wobbly bridge... I've gotten him up on the tables at the park a couple of times, so when we walked up to a table at the farm he hopped right up without me doing anything. Lol. Bad habits. He has absolutely no rear end awareness though. I tried getting him up on these little stumps with his front feet on one and his back feet on another. Nope. Not happening. That'll be one of our monthly tasks at some point. More people started showing up and we got stuck between two big dogs. We left after that. I think I'm going to get a trainer to help with his reactivity. I could do it on my own, but it would take longer and I'd rather make sure it's done the right way.

Well, I wish there was something I could do to help. I don't know what's going on causing those issues. Maybe talk to a moderator? Not sure what they could do, but if there's a lot of people have issues then getting it reported would help so it could be fixed.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Si is a friendly, family dog.

Ahhhhhhhh, yes. Dogs will do that. Now it makes a lot of sense. Good he does stay quiet at times. Yes, reward him.

Oh yes. most puppies can be difficult. Even adult dogs can........... Yes, training can be a challenge but it sounds like you are doing the right things. Yeah, I think focus on a task and then succeed and move to the next regardless of the time. I think you are doing great and Si is doing great. I think it really is all about goals and what you want. But he seems to be doing really well and have accepted the other dogs and is happy. That is pretty good in my book BUT I know you are looking at more. I have said similar things in the past and I did it again so............ ;) Hang in there, you are doing great.

Oh my. I know, that can happen. :( I am glad it is getting better.

Yeah, it doesn't seem urgent but good to take him in when you have more time. Poor Frost, yes, that will happen at times. :/

I know, it is so frustrating. Sometimes I think they are sleeping so soundly and sometimes I think they are like "whatever". :/ I have panicked many times. Yep, been there done that. Isn't it lovely????? I have a feeling Frost was so comfy he was like "later".

Wow, that is pretty good!!! He did well. I wonder where everyone was? He is still young, he will get there.

It is not on your end. Something with the system I would imagine. I know I found a thread that mentioned the issue but no real answer. And I have asked staff and they have no idea. I am guessing some glitch for some reason. :/ What is odd is why sometimes and not always or never? But that is above our pay grade. :/

I hope your leg heals soon!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That he is. He's become a little more obsessed with Frost again though. I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think of is he thinks Frost is playing with him when he slaps Si, but Si usually backs off at least a little when Frost does that.

It was kind of cute because he started barking the other day, but he only barked a couple of times and came into the kitchen to where I was. He sniffed my hands and then was fine. Like he just had to check to make sure I was okay.

Giving each command a month is more for me so that way I can't rush it. It doesn't take a month to teach a command. It takes anywhere from three days to a week depending on complexity and the dog. The rest is proofing it and generalizing it to different things/places/situations. Like it takes minutes to teach a dog to come when called in the house, but then you take it outside, do it from further away, start recalling from smells, etc. After a month you should have a pretty solid recall. Yes, I do have high expectations. I realize that I can't expect those things from him immediately, but they are things that I'm working towards. But this training is the biggest reason I wanted another dog.

Yeah, those darn long lines...

Stella's appointment to get her teeth clean and that fracture taken care of is tomorrow. Poor girl. I hope they don't have to have the tooth removed. I think I'll get Frost's appointment once I know Stella is okay. He's still acting find, so here's hoping it's nothing.

Frost should just consider himself lucky I cancelled his appointment because I might've left him there. It was very scary thinking he'd gotten out. I should know better though. It's not the first time. Ash has managed to hide from me in plain sight. He's just the perfect mottling of gray and black that he blends right into the shadows.

He did do well. He always amazes me at how confident he is. New sounds and fast moving things can spook him, but he recovers quickly and things don't usually spook him more than once, maybe twice. He made me a little nervous going on that wobbly bridge because he walked onto it so confidently that I was sure he'd panic when it moved, but he acted like nothing happened. We just need to get over the dog reactivity. I am looking into trainers, but I think I'm going to have to wait and see how much I'm going to have to spend in vet bills.

Probably. Seems like if a lot of people were having the problem then they'd want to do what they can to fix it though. It is weird.

It's doing much better!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha. Yes. Sometimes they just want to play and sometimes they just want everyone to like them. It is good Si backs off a touch.

Awwwwwwww. Yep. They will do that. That is SO CUTE!!! He does love you.

Yes, that makes sense. Yes, you wanted a dog for this. And Si I think is a good one for that.

YES!!!!

Good luck Stella!!! I hope not. Fingers crossed. Yes, I think it is good to wait for Stella to get well since Frost really isn't urgent it seems.

Oh I know. It is so scary. Hahahaha, he is lucky!!! Yes, they can be very still and hide. Frustrating.

That is so impressive and fantastic!!! He is an impressive dog. I LOVE that he is so confident!!!!

True :/

I am SO GLAD to hear that. It is good to be young. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh I'm lazy. I don't know how I convince myself to go to the park three times a day, but I can't convince myself to get on the laptop to type up a reply.

We're working on getting Osiris to leave the cats (and Stella) alone. He still bugs them quite a bit. Honestly, worse than his intentional harassment is his complete unawareness when he's excited or thinks he's getting food. He'll trust trample right over anything and anyone if they're below his eye level.

He's a sweet dog. Seems perhaps a little less bark-y? Still set off quite easily, but it doesn't seem to be so often and he tends to stop a bit quicker. I usually let him get away with a couple of barks before telling him to stop. He's definite very alert and watchful. He's always keeping an eye on any people within sight.

I'm still not sure if Si will end up being a good agility dog. I'll train him for it, but he just doesn't seem to have the drive or energy. But he could still surprise me once he matures. But I'd also like to try scentwork and basically anything else I can possibly get into. He's basically my experimental dog. Lol.

So Stella ended up with two fractured teeth, but neither of those needed to be removed. There was a small molar that was apparently infected and did need to be removed, but that hasn't bothered her at all. They didn't even send any pain meds and she never showed any signs of it hurting. I did get her on some wet food for the time being just in case. Her teeth are so pretty now. Of course now I'm paranoid about every chew toy they have since finding out she fractured her teeth...

Si still impresses me with how comfortable he is with everything. I've had him up in metal bleachers, climbing on tables, getting on benches, etc. The one thing that does make him nervous: the flag at the park blowing in a hard wind. He doesn't like that. Flapping doesn't bother him, but once it starts making noise he gets a little weirded out.

I think my ankle is finally in the clear. I wasn't sure for a bit there. It started looking kind of bad again, but it's almost healed up now. And no more long line injuries since that one.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, well, you are kinda busy!!!! School, work, puppy, 3 cats, another dog............................................. Not sure I would call you lazy!!!

Yes, it does take time but it does sound like he is making progress. Oh, I know. My one girl was SO BAD about trampling, etc. :( And when they are big..................... Mine never did get out of it. But no one ever got hurt either.

He really seems like it. That is good he is getting less barky. Fingers crossed. I think he is a protector which does make sense due to his DNA.

I think it is probably too early to know. Hopefully he will be. Scent is really cool. Awwwwwwww, that is cool. I think he will do a lot more than you may realize. He is smart, no doubt about it.

Awwwww, poor Stella. It does happen though. :( It is good they didn't need to be removed and she isn't in pain. I LOVE that he teeth are "pretty" now. :)

Awwwwwwwww. I just love Si. He sounds so fun. Yes, the flag can be an issue but interesting the flapping doesn't bother him but the other sound does. Might be the pitch of the noise?

GREAT!!! Whew. I didn't realize it went backwards a bit. Whew, I am glad you are healed now!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except over the weekend we mostly just watched movies! It's funny how one can find ways to be lazy without actually being lazy.

It's a little scary watching the smaller animals go under his feet at times. The cats are quick to get away, but Stella not so much. I'd like to teach him to be more aware of them and of himself, but not entirely sure how just yet.

He definitely seems protective. He can still be completely oblivious (someone parked one spot away from our vehicle while we were on our back back to it and got out with a little off-leash dog, but I took Osiris away from it and he never noticed it), but once he does notice something, he's very watchful.

It's true that, in some ways, it's too early to tell, but then there are signs you can look for very early on. A confident, outgoing, energetic puppy and especially one that likes to jump or climb is likely to do well with agility. Osiris is pretty confident, but he burns through energy rather fast. He's comfortable jumping and climbing on things, but not sure he enjoys it. He's sure willing enough to do so. He definitely needs more stamina, but that could come with time. It's also gotten warm again and he isn't fairing too well with that. He might do better when it's colder or if we can do it indoors.

Definitely glad it was only a small tooth removed and she's done well with it. I've kept her and Si mostly separate since to give her time to recover, but I think I might keep up with that. They can be together when I can closely supervise them, but it's honestly easier keeping them apart. It means Si spends more time in the crate, but he doesn't seem to mind too much (he's sleeping in there now) and that makes doing school work easier for me anyway since I don't have to watch him.

He is quite chill when he wants to be. I like the louder noise draws his attention to the flag more. He doesn't seem to notice it if it isn't making much noise. And, to be fair, it did look like it was trying to follow us the other day.

Yeah, the scab got rubbed off too early and it got a little worse after that, but didn't last long.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you do deserve some relaxation!! Watching movies seems like a good use of time to me!! :)

Oh, I know. Especially when they are big. But they are more aware than you may realize. Of course, mistakes can happen but like you said the cats are more agile. Stella will learn. It is hard for the humans to train them. Other than saying "calm down" and "be careful" I don't know how to train them. :/

Yes, he really does seem like it and it is consistent with his breed. Well, oblivious maybe to non potential threats? I am guessing he is pretty aware when he may need to be. It is sweet he loves so much. Pretty special.

That makes sense. It will be interesting to see how he does. I hope he wants to.

I am so glad to hear she is doing well. Yes, it is good to keep them separate for now.

Yes, makes sense. Follows you? It is pretty cool he is "chill" at times. He is pretty mature for a puppy in my opinion (though I know I only know what I read). He seems like he would do what most dogs would do.

Ahhhhhh, yep. I am glad it didn't get infected or anything. They can be annoying injuries. :/ But I am glad it is better.

I am envious of Si. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is nice not doing much sometimes! We're planning to get out this weekend and taking Osiris to some new places.

I know you can teach dogs to be more aware of their feet. Rear end awareness is something I plan on working on with Si. It helps when you get into dog sports for them to be aware of their backend. I'm not sure if that'll help with the trampling or not though.

He seems to think every dog is a threat. Doesn't matter how small or how calm. I've had some success getting his attention off of other dogs, but it's still not great. And private trainers are expensive! I would be nice if I could use that money on group classes for sports. I found a place that teaches several different sports and their classes are a good price.

It will be interesting if I can ever get him into some classes. :ohwell:

It's certainly nice that he can chill out in the house. Doesn't take much. Twenty minutes of play and he goes back to sleep.

It was certainly not a fun injury. And now I've just found out I'm going to have to have my tonsils removed! :frustrated:I don't know how that's going to work. I'm not sure how bad it'll be, if I'll be able to keep up with exercising Si. Not sure what we're going to do if I can't. He's done well on the occasion that I haven't been able to do much for a day, but not sure if he'd manage more than a day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! You deserve some down time. Cool, that should be fun.

Interesting. Hopefully you can help. Will be interesting to see his progress.

Does he? I didn't get that sense. It is good you are making progress. I think he will continue. That is cool you found a place. I am kinda surprised you aren't doing it totally on your own. Very cool.

Oh, I think you will if you chose. But you may decide to do it on your own?

Awwwwwwwwww. How cute.

No, those are pesky injuries. Oh my. Not good. In normal times it isn't bad to get your tonsils out but in a pandemic. I worry about your mom getting it. :( I think Si will be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. He is more mature now and it has to be done. I wouldn't worry about that.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went on a hike today. Well, first I took Si to the park in town and we clambered over the playground and went down the slides. Lol. It's a much tighter fit on that stuff than I remember! Then I took Stella to the park so she could run and sniff. Then we took Si on a hike after driving around and getting lost. It was fun. His new martingale collar came in just before we left today, so he got to wear that for the first time. Unfortunately, it's too big. Not sure how that happened. I measured his neck at 16" and the collar is support to fit 14-18".

Hopefully. He could definitely learn a little respect. He doesn't really respond to Frost slapping him anymore.

He's not the worst dog. Seems like his reactions vary in intensity and at what distant he reacts at, but he's definitely very reactive and once he locks on, there's not much you can do other than drag him away. We had mild success with one dog at the park this morning, but pretty much no success with another. Small dogs might be slightly easier? Not much of a difference though.

I would probably do all his training on my own if I could, but that's impossible for agility in particular. I'd need the equipment and I don't have the space for that. Plus it's easier to learn to do something right the first time than try to do it on your own and have to fix it later. There's a lot of little things that go into agility that you wouldn't even think of just watching it. And other sports too. It's those little things that I'd like to have an expert for.

We'll have to see how things go. My mom says she's been reading that hospitals are basically the safest places to be because they're so careful. But now things are getting bad again and they're starting to cancel non-emergency surgeries. Definitely worried about Si though. He's a good dog and he isn't too terrible, but he does get obnoxious when he doesn't get exercise. Then he starts harassing Stella and the cats and gets bite-y. And my mom works, so she can't deal with him throughout the day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went on a hike today. Well, first I took Si to the park in town and we clambered over the playground and went down the slides. Lol. It's a much tighter fit on that stuff than I remember! Then I took Stella to the park so she could run and sniff. Then we took Si on a hike after driving around and getting lost. It was fun. His new martingale collar came in just before we left today, so he got to wear that for the first time. Unfortunately, it's too big. Not sure how that happened. I measured his neck at 16" and the collar is support to fit 14-18".

Hopefully. He could definitely learn a little respect. He doesn't really respond to Frost slapping him anymore.

He's not the worst dog. Seems like his reactions vary in intensity and at what distant he reacts at, but he's definitely very reactive and once he locks on, there's not much you can do other than drag him away. We had mild success with one dog at the park this morning, but pretty much no success with another. Small dogs might be slightly easier? Not much of a difference though.

I would probably do all his training on my own if I could, but that's impossible for agility in particular. I'd need the equipment and I don't have the space for that. Plus it's easier to learn to do something right the first time than try to do it on your own and have to fix it later. There's a lot of little things that go into agility that you wouldn't even think of just watching it. And other sports too. It's those little things that I'd like to have an expert for.

We'll have to see how things go. My mom says she's been reading that hospitals are basically the safest places to be because they're so careful. But now things are getting bad again and they're starting to cancel non-emergency surgeries. Definitely worried about Si though. He's a good dog and he isn't too terrible, but he does get obnoxious when he doesn't get exercise. Then he starts harassing Stella and the cats and gets bite-y. And my mom works, so she can't deal with him throughout the day.
My goodness he is gorgeous!!!!

Wow!! THAT is a full day!!! Cool!! Si went down the slides? Oh my, that would have been fun to see. Oh my, lost but you did find it eventually!! Bummer on the collar, that does happen. :/ You must have been exhausted after a full day like that.

Yep, they do get to that point. They realize the other animal (cat) doesn't mean much by it. :/ He will though. He doesn't mean harm so I think he thinks the other animal doesn't mean harm (and of course Frost doesn't) otherwise it would be different. He will get better (more respectful).

Oh my, I could show you worse!!! Yeah, he has to learn. And I think the instinct is pretty strong. GSs are protectors. It sounds pretty normal to me. He will continue to get better. I know it is frustrating but it will happen.

That makes a lot of sense. And in the future you can do it and enjoy it.

That makes sense. Hopefully all the precautions work well. I know they are doing their best. I know. As people get indoors more it really spreads. Hopefully you can either get in and get your tonsils done soon or it isn't as urgent and it can wait. :/ With the holidays it probably gets worse. :( I wish people would take it more serious. :( I think SI will be fine. He might get a touch obnoxious BUT you have get get healthy. A week or two will not set things back and you can try to keep them separate.

He really is a gorgeous dog. I LOVE those pics!!!