Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Si loves Frost. I'm not entirely sure how Frost feels about Si. One moment they're great, the next Frost is hissing and spitting and slapping. Cats.

He does. He and Ash used to be very much each other's cat. People were second. But they've really changed over the years.

It's definitely been pretty quick. I expected the progress to be slower, but steadier. The way it's been, changes seem to happen overnight. One day they won't get anywhere near him and the next they're actually approaching him. Ash walked right by Si just a little while ago. I was getting Si a chew to sit in his kennel with while I fed the cats and Ash came out looking for his dinner. Si was, fortunately, more focused on me since I had a chew. Ash hesitated, but once he realized the dog wasn't paying any attention to him, he just brushed right past him.

He doesn't really look like much of a puppy either. Certain angles and it hits me just how young he is, but sometimes he looks pretty much like an adult.

Yes, it is. And yeah, I agree. It's definitely gotten easier as I've done it. It's still not my preferred activity, but it isn't horrible. We get meal kits that send all the ingredients and instructions, so that's most of what I do.

Yeah, we could both work on our patience. Sometimes I get frustrated, but I have to remember we're both still learning. He's just a puppy and this is my first time with a 5-6 month old puppy. But we'll get there.

It's especially hard when you have dogs that don't do well with other dogs though. I can't just take them to pet stores and the like. We did go today, but late at night again when there wasn't hardly anyone there. Though it's kind of nice that there are a number of places that most people don't even know are dog-friendly.

He just totally locks onto her. I think his worst reactions have been when my mom walked Stella by another dog. He's freaked out when that happened though did fine during that situation this morning. He definitely watched, but no huge reaction. I had him outside the other day and Stella was still inside. She started barking and he got all antsy and started acting up after that. He loves her, but unfortunately that's not mutual. She is fairly tolerant of him and is allowing him to be closer to her, but she doesn't quite like him. I don't want him to be her dog anyway, so that's probably for the best, but I do feel kind of bad for him. It's like a one-sided love affair.

I certainly try. I find most people intimidating, so it's not easy but I've gotten better with time. I always like having the chance to learn from my boss since she is a professional dog trainer. Sometimes all it is is reaffirming what I already know, but that helps too.

It is interesting.

Oh, sure. I just have to remind myself to go at his pace, not mine.

It was awesome. I did not expect Frost to stick around when Si laid by him, but he wasn't even fazed. Didn't even lift his head.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwww, that is so wonderful. Well, yep, cats. Cats are more territorial and it does take more time for them to trust etc. Frost probably just wants to be boss.

Yes, that happens all the time. I have two now that are exactly like Frost and Ash. They were inseparable one a human's cat while the other a cat's cat. Now they are less cat cats and more human cats. Go figure. :/

Yes, it often is like that. For some reason. But there is a lot of work (which you may not realize) leading up to that moment. That is really good and a good indication Si has really done well adjusting and accepting. Pretty good!!!

I think because he is big. But he does look young and moves young.

That is good. Yeah, it may never be your first choice but good to know how to do it. That is really good, I have seen those kits advertised. Pretty good.

Pretty much every human being needs to work on patience. It is hard. Yeah, you will do fine. It is good you are cognizant of the issues (especially your own). Oftentimes, people make the mistake of never looking at themselves as a part of the issue. If a person can see both sides it is easier to achieve the goal. Yes, you all will be just fine.

Yes, I have dogs and had dogs that are difficult to people and to other animals so it does limit. But I just work around that. It is nice the option exists though. I agree.

Awwwwwww. Si seems to really take to everyone inside the house. He is a family guy!! Yeah, well, Stella may come around in time. He may win her over.

That is good. Well, you are highly intelligent. So you shouldn't feel intimidated per se. You haven't yet had the experience etc. Feel equal because you should you have the brainpower to be on the same level or better with the time, effort and experience. Oh yes, it is great she is experienced. It is always good to be around smarter people as it really does elevate the person around those kind of people. Pretty good you know a lot already. But always stay humble and listen for another view, another idea. Stay open minded just in case something good comes up.

VERY. I wish I could get inside the minds of the animals. :/

So true. And that often applies to many life experiences.

Really? WOW!!! THAT is trust. It is pretty amazing SI is so diplomatic. He is really wise on how to interact. Especially for a young puppy. Wow, I am kinda speechless. That is amazing. Si is an amazing dog.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine with him being the boss, but he sure has mood swings.

It's interesting how they can change. It's completely different between them now.

Well, I'm glad! Makes me feel a lot better that they're getting comfortable with him. I thought it would take longer and they wouldn't be coming out for a while. Ash is coming out more and more and hanging out on the dining room chairs though he's still very uncomfortable being on the floor with Si (unless food is involved). Ember came out earlier while Si was in the kennel and got some attention.

His size definitely doesn't help, but sometimes he really doesn't look like that much of a puppy. Young, yes, but not really puppy-ish. But then he gives me a look that reminds me just how young he is.

The kits are helpful. They do have their limitations though.

It's definitely something I can work on and I know it. Working with a 6 month puppy is a new experience for me and I'll say he's a bit more difficult than the foster puppies. I'm not sure if that's his age or that I haven't figured out how to work with him yet or if it's just him individually.

Yes, I've gotten used to working around it with Stella. The thing is I didn't want to have to do that with another dog. Which is why I'm so focused on getting him over his leash reactivity.

I think Stella would be his absolute favorite if she'd have anything to do with him. And then he's obsessed with the cats... I'm not really worried about him winning Stella over though. They just need to be able to live together. I don't want him to be focused on her since it takes from his focus on me.

I'm just nervous around people in general and them being coworkers and people who have some power over me makes it worse. It's gotten easier with time, but it's still in my mind. But I do like learning from them and everyone has been willing to talk to me so far. I always feel a little bad taking their time since it's when we're at work, but no one has said anything.

That would be cool.

It was impressive. I almost thought Frost hadn't noticed him, but there's no way he couldn't have. I was surprised Si was so cool about it too. He usually can't stand it when there's a cat that close.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can. But some say that about me as well. ;)

So true, my feeling is as long as they are happy. I just let them chose instead of force things.

It is wonderful. I thought it would take longer. They are really doing well. I am surprised with Ash. You should be really proud and happy. You are doing the right things.

Yes. Awwwww, that is sweet. I bet that looks makes you melt. I love that look.

What limitations? Is the quality good? I always worry if they pick out the best things.

That is good. Knowing it is a lot of the battle. The key. You are very wise, very in tune. Oh yes, it is. Young puppies have a certain need then when they get bogger and more independent and need real behavioral training it is a new challenge. You'll learn and do great. I don't worry about you.

Yeah, it is too early to know BUT I think he will be able to get over it.

Yes. I think they will be fine. Stella has probably come along better than you may imagine. I remember even a year ago Stella was different and she has improved. They will be fine I suspect.

You really shouldn't be nervous around people. No reason to be. You are obviously intelligent. You are great with me. If you can just be yourself you will be fine. Trust yourself. It is in you, just let it out. Don't let you mind hold you back. You can do it, I know you can, you just have to believe it. Yes, it is a balance between learning and not bothering/interrupting/distracting. Just be respectful, be upfront and ask "if they have time, you don't wait to bother etc". Find a balance. You are smart so you will find that balance.

It really would be. I suspect there is more going on than we realize.

VERY impressive!!! Yes, Frost knew. BUT he accepted. And Si is accepting and getting over the excitement (which is really good for a puppy). I am amazed. REALLY COOL!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. I'm not one of them.

Oh, yeah. Don't want to force anything. Just means more cuddles for me.

Ash was right outside the door when I let Osiris back in from outside. They went nose-to-nose before I got a hold of Si. Ash just ambled back into the kitchen and I'm like, "Seriously? You're just going to hang out when I need to bring the dog in?" So I ended up letting Si go and Ash wasn't bothered. In fact, he went into Si's crate. Si went to sniff him and they both did fine. I went to get my phone for a picture and Ash ran. :doh: Ember is coming out more while Si is in the crate and even darted out while he was out once today. She got up on a dining room chair before he got to her and I stopped him. She hung out for a few minutes before going back. It doesn't really feel like I'm doing much of anything though! They're all doing most of the work. I just make sure Si doesn't get too out of control.

I just had them all out. Ember didn't linger long, but she got within maybe a foot of him while I was holding onto his collar. Ash is wanting food, so he was rubbing up on everything. He's way more tolerant of Si than he was of Stella though. They sniffed noses several times and there was no hissing, growling, or slapping. Ash doesn't seem scared either. Tail up, rubbing, not low to the ground. Frost isn't tolerating much from Si today. Wouldn't even let the dog walk by. Si had a few complaints about that.

Yes. He's awfully cute when he wants to be. He can go from chewing on me to laying his head in my lap and looking up at me with those puppy eyes in seconds.

The quality varies depending on the meal kit. You get what you pay for. Our cheapest one wasn't bad. The food tasted good enough, but we did get cheaper and smaller pieces of meat. They also seemed to have some of the most complicated recipes with the most vague instructions. You only get so many options to choose from each week. If you don't like any of it, there's nothing to get. Sometimes we only get one meal because that was all we could find. The biggest thing is that the sides seem to be repeated a lot though. You get a variety of main dishes, but the sides are the same two or three things over and over again and sometimes the veggies they send aren't great.

He is a challenge alright. We've made some progress, but we have a long way to go.

He'd better. :ohwell: It's still very back and forth. He sat and watched two border collie types walk by fairly close to us. Wouldn't take treats, but didn't make a sound either. Then he started barking and growling at a small lab-type though it never escalated beyond a couple of barks.

Oh, Stella's done fine. I can't really expect any more from her. She's not a fan of dogs bigger than her even when they're polite. Now she's dealing with one with no manners whatsoever. As long as they can leave peacefully together, I'm fine with that.

No, I shouldn't be. It's all in my head, really. I tend to be okay once I get into a conversation, but have a hard time initiated one. Or ending one, honestly.

Oh, yes, I'm sure there's a lot more than we think.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, because you don't do and/or say silly things!!!! :)

Agreed. Cuddles are good, the more the better.

WOW!!! Ash!!! REALLY GOOD!! Ember is getting there. Pretty good progress!! You are doing more than you think. Keeping Si more controlled helps build their confidence and you must have taught Si not to go after them. Because he is learning. They are doing their part but I think that is because you are creating the environment and must be acting pretty confidently which helps the cats be more confident.

Wow. Ash. Good for Ember. That will help. Interesting he is doing better with Si. Oh my, Frost. Maybe he is jealous Ash is now his friend?

Awwwwwwwwww. He is definitely gorgeous. He was cute in the video.

That makes sense. I would imagine it is hard to do (for them). And of course veggies are trickier.

Well, it sounds like compared to most he isn't too bad at all. I guess it depends on what you are looking to achieve. For acceptable you are almost there so pretty good so far.

Hahahaha, he will. That is good!! Interesting. 2 out of 3 is good.

That is good. I think they will be very good together. Si is going to be very helpful.

Agreed, you shouldn't be. It is good you know that. I know you can be like this anytime. We basically have just a conversation. Maybe not in vocal obviously but the thoughts are there. You do it, you just have to believe. I know you can. Ending can be awkward so can beginnings. Happens to EVERYONE!!! YOU can't be too hard on yourself or hold yourself to unreasonably high expectations. You are capable of so much. I think I know you pretty well by now.

Yep.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, well, if they're doing/saying silly things then it's deserved.

Yes!

They were all in and out quite a bit yesterday. Ash hung out on the cat tree for a while. Ember kept coming out. She wouldn't take no as an answer. She'd come out, go back to the hall, then come back out... She came out while we were all in the kitchen last night. I had a hold of Si and he threw a fit because he wanted to get to her, but he calmed down after a couple of minutes and eventually just laid down. I crouched down and Ember came over. She even sniffed his paw while he was laying down with his head down and he just watched her. I'm definitely more confident now than I was initially. I wasn't sure what he'd do if he got to them at first and it was a little scary, but I feel a lot better now that I know and his behavior has shifted so much. I am trying to get him to leave them alone a little more though. He wants to follow them around and searches them out.

He is. ❤

Yeah, the veggies aren't easy. The main issue is just that it gets a little boring eating the same sides repeatedly, but we usually only do 2-4 a week. It's not an everyday thing.

I want to get him into a sport, so there's some pretty high expectations there. I intend on training to a competitive obedience level. First we have to get through basic manners/behaviors and commands.

We watched the same dog that barked at him today. Didn't bark this time, bark was definitely interested. There was a great Dane too, but I don't think he noticed that dog. I did. I wanted to go pet it. So far I think the best tactic for Si is just sitting at a distance and letting him watch. Eventually I want to work on getting his attention on me, but I want to make sure he's feeling comfortable too.

Well, as long as they end up okay with each other, I'm fine. Do need to figure out how to get his focus off of her though.

Yeah, but this conversation has never ended! Lol. This is what happens if no one ends the conversation for me. But yes, it's something I need to get over. I was hoping I'd be going to dog shows and that would help me, but that obviously isn't happening.

My mom bought Stella, Ember, and Si matching Halloween pajamas... Here's Si in his that are a bit too large:

20200928_122359.jpg
20200928_122411.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree!!!

:)

That is fantastic. Since Ember is less visible I am guessing Si is more curious. But as she comes out more and has those encounters (sniffing etc) there will be acceptance. Yes, I always worry bring big dogs in with the cats so caution is warranted. But once they show their traits it does make it easier. Yeah, he is a puppy and other animals are fun. Normal stuff.

Yes. Well, it is hard to be creative. :/ I get a little lazy nowadays so......................... But for a business it is hard since they do it for profit and nee to make sure it sells (or they go out of business if there is too much not sold and thrown away). It is hard I am sure. :/

Oh yes, those are high. I think you will definitely get through those first. How far you will see. He is smart though it seems which helps a lot.

Interesting. Oh wow, a Great Dane. Cool. Interesting you think he didn't notice. I would want to pet too. I think that is a good plan.

Yes, he will. He is still young AND it is all exciting. Anytime something is new it is exciting and then the interest slows down. I think he will be fine.

Hahahaha, well I haven't wanted to end it. But if you do................ :/ You can take a break if you like or need to. I know it is hard with time for you. It is ok. Maybe you don't want to hurt the other person's feelings? Yes, try not to overthink things. Just be yourself. You are great on here so you can do it anywhere. You will be able to go to shows soon (hopefully). You are a super nice person, you are smart. With more interactions it will increase your confidence and you'll look back and think "there was no reason to ever hold back or be cautious etc". We all go through that, it is normal. I am not at all worried about you, you are going to be just fine.

Hahahaha, you mom is so funny. She spoils them!!! Awwww, that is so cute. He'll probably outgrow them in a month just in time for halloween. :) My goodness is he adorable. He looks young in those pics. In his eyes. Oh is he gorgeous!!!! That is so cute!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the cats are officially over Si. Not saying they all love him, but they're pretty well over him. Ember has been out and about several times today. She's been on the floor and in no hurry to get to where she's going. In fact, I don't think she's scared of Si at all. She walks around, meows (and meows at him!), and carries her tail up. However, she's not quite a fan of him either. He follows her around more than she'd like and sometimes he moves too fast which can spook her. I think his height is the biggest issue. He just wants to sniff her, but he has to come down at her and presses his nose on her head and back. Ash is still less inclined to wander around while Si is out, but he's been up on the cat tree and watched Si from above. They're more than happy to come out when they think there's food involved!

Yeah, I'm sure it's not easy. Honestly, if they could just add one or two more that would make it a lot better. It's not a huge deal if you're only getting a couple of meals, but if you want several then it may be an issue. We switch companies too which helps. Each company has two or three sides they do, so there's some more variation.

Yeah, well getting into a sport was always my intention. I would've done it with Stella, but her luxating patella and dog aggression got in the way. So that falls on Osiris now! I'm sure he can get into something. Obedience may not be his favorite thing, but being trained to that level is helpful.

Yes, I love great Danes, especially since meeting two at my work. Si can be a bit oblivious. It's usually pretty obvious if he notices another dog, so I'm inclined to say he didn't see that one.

Yeah. I do think he's gotten a little better with trying to play with Stella. I want to start splitting their walks in the morning so that way I can work on his focus on me without her there as a distraction. Of course, there's still the evening walks, but we do less for those.

Oh, no. I was just kidding. I love being able to talk about my animals and animals in general! Everyone else gets tired of it. I may have to respond less for the next week or so though. Two of my classes are ending which means finals. I have a big final project for one class. Plus writing an essay in my English class. Definitely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but also just don't want to make a fool of myself. I wish I didn't care about that, but that hasn't been the case unfortunately. I overthink everything. It's what I do. I do better if I don't have time to think about it. I hope I can go back to the shows! I had started setting goals for myself that I wanted to talk to people showing certain breeds and I really think that would have been beneficial for my anxiety. Plus they were just a lot of fun!

Well, I'm not sure if they feel spoiled. Si is the only one who doesn't care about the pajamas at all. Stella has never liked wearing shirts. Ember isn't a fan either though I'd like her to get used to it since she gets cold in the winter. With our luck, he will outgrow it by Halloween. Yes, he looks very young in those pictures. Makes me think of a little boy waiting to be tucked in bed.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terrific!!! Yep, that is normal. There are just taking it step by step. They are definitely accepting. More trust is next. It will happen. But wow, great progress. Yes, Ember is actually doing better than I would have thought with the sniffing. She trusts quite a lot. Ember doesn't swat him? Food is a good way to build trust.

That is smart. The companies must have good quality standards. Pretty good.

Agreed. Even if he doesn't go as far the training will be very helpful.

Me too, I love them. Interesting he is oblivious.

That is good.

:) I love talking and hearing as well!! That is ok, you do what you need to do. School is far more important. You can use this as stress relief. Oh my, you would not make a fool out of yourself. I wish you wouldn't care as much about that either since I don't think you have to worry about that. But I know we do worry about things we shouldn't. It is normal. We do overthink things and it is good to think about things. But learning the line is important. If you work on it I know you will improve it. I don't get a sense you overthink things on here with me at least. And on here it would be easy to do. So if you can do it here you can do it anywhere. Remember, if someone has an unreasonable problem with you it is their issue, not yours. Don't always think it is your issue. Now if you insult someone (which you wouldn't do) then it is something that needs to be looked at but if you are respectful and nice then it is their issue. I hope you can look at both sides, the big picture more going forward. I think that may help. You will get back to the shows. Hopefully soon. Yes, not only is it fun but it is good experience. And once you see confirmation that you are going to be fine then it will help reinforce. It is really the same as the cats. The cats are learning how to get over their anxieties with Si by doing all they are doing (with a little help from you and your mom). I know you will get over the anxiety and look back and think that wasn't so hard to do. We all have anxieties about things about us, how we look, how we speak, how people perceive us, our intelligence, our fears of looking silly, etc. But if someone is judging us unfairly it is their issue. Good people accept others because of what is in our hearts. And why waste time on not good people? Who cares what someone thinks if we don't respect that person? And it is hard to respect someone who isn't a good person. Everyone has faults and no one is perfect so we shouldn't ask for that from others.

Hmmmm, then they really ARE SPOILED!!! Hahahahaha. Yes, they can be like that. They need to get accustomed to it. With Ember it would really be helpful.

He really does. That is funny you say that. He looks like a little boy!!! SO CUTE!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Ember is going to be Si's friend! She does swat at him on occasion, but not as much as I would've expected. She's pretty tolerant of him. I don't think she's scared of him in the slightest, but he is a little annoying. I don't know why she doesn't swat him. She tries to duck away from him and run (more like trot) off, but doesn't put too much effort into it. Today she was rolling around on the ground in front of him and meowing like she wanted him to pet her. I let him sniff, but tried to keep him from being too pushing. She tolerated it for a moment (would keep getting up, moving away, and starting over again, but she does that with me too!) before going back down the hall. Shortly after that I was on the couch with Si on one side of me and Stella of the other. Ember came over and laid on my lap. Then Ash laid on my mom's side of the couch. We have a L shaped couch, so Si was at the end of one side and Ash was in the middle of the other side.

They're pretty good.

I have a suspicion that Si will be good at pretty much anything once he matures, but I do want to get into something he'll truly enjoy. Agility was my goal, but his size may not be the greatest for that. He could do it, but maybe not at a competitive level.

Work is really the problem. I can't take time from school when I have work. Fortunately, two of my classes end after this week, so then I'll only have two to deal with. This has already helped with stress more than you probably know! Especially when we first got Si and I didn't know what to do. I think we all make a fool of ourselves sometimes. I just shouldn't care so much about it! It's gotten easier on here with time. I've gotten comfortable with this site and with our conversation. The length of our replies helps too because if I overthought everything, it would take me all day to respond. But yeah, it's something to work on. I think finding places where I can learn be comfortable (dogs shows and the like) will help me learn to be more comfortable elsewhere, but of course right now it's hard to be social at all. The cats are doing better than I am! I know I preach not caring about what people think, but then struggle with it myself.

Yes, Ember needs to get used to the clothes. She and Frost have already started sleeping with me and it's only just the beginning of the cold weather!

He does! Gosh, he's so cute. How can he be so cute?

There's a lady covering shifts for other people at my work and she brings her dog with her, but her dog has decided he hates me. :( I'm not used to dogs hating me! And he stays in the reception area which is where I usually clock in and I have work there, but I can't be in sight of him without being growled and barked at.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!!!! Ember!!!! THAT was FAST!!! The fact she was rolling on the ground in front of him (presumably exposing her underside) is the ultimate sign of trust. Wow. The couch time sounds amazing. I am guessing you and your mom are feeling pretty good.

That is really good. I may try it at some point.

Seems like it. He is moving really quickly it seems. Yeah, he is going to be big it seems.

Yes, I would say you are busy. Work, school, puppy. I don't need to add to it. So you do what you need to do. When you can I'll be here. Yes, we all do. Well, we should care but not too much that it makes us pullback from encounters. I am really glad you say it has gotten easier. YES!! Exactly!!! It would take us years!! Hahahahaha. And I can say, I have never seen anything you have written to be an issue, something you should feel foolish, etc. So if you can do it here you can do it anywhere. The fact you know you have to work on it (and the vast majority of people need to work on it though not all are cognizant they need to) is really good and that is why I am confident you will be just fine. Yes, it is hard now but you will have those experiences in the future. I would not worry at all. You will get the experiences and improve. I have no doubt. You are too smart not to. Well, we all know what is right but then struggle with ourselves. You can't be to hard on yourself. You are very self aware so that is very helpful in continued improvement. I think you are a superstar and have so much to share, so much knowledge. I know you will. Sure there will be blips but I see you doing amazing things going forward.

Awwwwwww. Ember and Frost. Yes, Ember will hopefully adjust and realize it will help keep her warm.

Hehehehe, I know, right??? He is SO ADORABLE!!!

Oh, the dog probably doesn't like the smell of cats on you. I can't see a dog not liking you. Hmmmmmm. Maybe someone who looks like you did him some harm? It does happen sometimes. It happens to all if us and it does make a person think. But I never take it personally. But I know that feeling.

Hang in there on school. Just do well and post when you have time (or need a break). Good luck on the classes!!! GREAT job with the cats and Si!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been doing fantastic. I wouldn't mind seeing her correct him a little more though. That goes for all of them though. Frost is the only cat who will swat at him and tell him off. Ash will sniff him for a moment and then run off. Ember acts totally unafraid and unfazed by him until he gets a little to fast or a little too rough. It was definitely surprising to see her rolling around like that. She definitely exposes her belly that way. And she was mostly fine with him, but he kept shoving his nose under her back leg and getting in her business! She didn't appreciate that very much.

I think they're nice anyway. You still have to cook your own meals, but you don't have to find recipes or go shopping for ingredients. Some are definitely better than others. We decided on switching between Home Chef and Hello Fresh.

I got some books from my boss to read on dog training. I meant to leave with two, but I found three I was interested in and then she gave me two more... He is going to be big. It's mostly border collies in agility which are medium-large dogs. Not many shepherds. Would be cool to get another shepherd into it though.

I can definitely be lot. Si takes from my school time, but I was getting headaches a lot from being on the computer before I had him so I think he's done more good than harm. I will work more on my anxiety once we're out of this pandemic. Not a lot I can do at this moment other than prepare myself for it.

There are three cats at work and there are other people working there with cats. The lady said her dog gets like that sometimes, but I don't understand why he's even there if he has the potential to be aggressive. It was really weird because when I first went in there he was fine with me. I didn't even know he was her dog. They have dogs up there often when the dog has to stay there for an extended period of time, but would never put an aggressive dog there. So he sniffed me, followed me around, and let me pet him. Later on when I went out to clean the windows, he started growling at me and has done so every time he's seen me since except for once when she had him on a leash. I didn't take it personally at first because I thought I might've spooked him, but it started feeling a little personal because he doesn't do it to anyone else there! And this happened Monday and Friday though Friday he was growling at me the second I walked in the door.

Will do. Thank you.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really has been good. Pretty amazingly fast!! It is interesting she doesn't correct him. Yeah, dogs will do that. :/

Yes, it sounds like it makes it a bit easier. Interesting, thanks for the brands.

Wow, cool. That is really nice. Ahhhh, I didn't know that. Now I know why you are wondering. Maybe he will surprise?

Oh wow. I am glad your headaches are going away. yes, being on the computer will do that. :/ Hopefully it doesn't affect your school work. Oh, he is good for the soul which is usually good for work and school. Yes, I know you can reduce your anxiety if you put your mind to it (which I think you will).

Sounds like when you did the windows it maybe reminded him of something negative in his past maybe. It literally can be one little thing that triggers a response. I wonder if there was a movement, or something you were holding, or the light or a noise, or a combination. And maybe he senses caution from you and feed off that after that window experience. There is a reason and interesting it changed with that. If t was you it would have started off the bat. It could be you look like someone as well. That happens. Hair color, height, movements, etc. It happens. I guarantee you are kind to animals so I can't believe it is you.

:) I know you will. Good luck this week!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally through this week! Two of my classes are over, so things should be a bit easier now.

Everyone has been doing really well. Ember might end up being a friend to Osiris which I didn't really expect. I thought she might befriend a very small puppy, but not such a large and obnoxious one. She's been doing really well though and actually seeks out his attention. More and more, she's been rolling around on the ground and meowing at him. He sniffs her and puts his nose in her fur. She's fine with all that, but he gets kind of rough and has started trying to play with her. She doesn't like that so much. He's put his paw on her a couple of times and has stepped on her once, but she continues to come out. Ash has been doing well too. He isn't so into Si like Ember is, but he's tolerant of him. Frost is less tolerant. He's kind of a crab, but still insists on being out and about, and he isn't avoiding Si. Just yells at him a lot. Si has started getting nippy with tails. Can't say I blame him. Frost will wave his tail right in the poor dog's face. But of course he can't be allowed to do that.

No problem! Neither are perfect, but they have good food. They've both made mistakes in giving the wrong ingredients or leaving something out, but they also both refunded the money or at least gave credit to use for future meals.

Maybe. I'd let to get him into agility whether or not he gets to a competitive level. It's something to do, so why not? Then I can see if he'll be good out it. Would be kind of cool if he ended up doing really well despite his size.

Haven't had any bad headaches since getting Osiris. He definitely makes me stop and take breaks. Though he's quite good overall. Hopefully school won't be as bad now since two of my classes are over.

Even if it was something I did, that was a very strong reaction and you'd think he'd get over it if it was just one spook, especially by the end of the week. I didn't even know he was there until he growled at me! The lady admitted he's done it to other people, but doesn't seem to know why.

I cut Stella's claws last weekend and accidentally hit one of her quicks. It bled quite a lot, but I got it to stop. Unfortunately, it apparently reopened later on and I didn't know at first. Si wouldn't leave her alone though. Kept following her around and sniffing her. She was growling at him, but I couldn't get him to leave her be. She followed me into the kitchen and I saw red spots on the floor. Figured out her claw was bleeding again, got it to stop, and she laid on the couch. He went up on the couch and laid right by her. For once, she let him. Then he put his head on her back! :eek2: It was so cute! Unfortunately, he moved pretty quickly and I couldn't get a picture. It was the sweetest thing though. He is just so sweet and protective though.

He has gotten kind of bark-y though. Sometimes we don't even know what he's barking about. I can only imagine he's hearing a lot more than we are. Sometimes he just randomly starts barking and growling in my mom's direction though. Sometimes it's dogs on TV though they hadn't bothered him before.

We went to a small farm today. They have a few farm animals, a kid play area, and some trails there. There's not usually very many people there and almost never any dogs, so it seemed like the perfect place. I was going to use the kid area as a sort of obstacle course. They have one of those wobbly bridges, stump steps, and have logs. But it was crowded! Kids everywhere! Si did really quite well. Not bothered by any of the other animals. He is interested in kids. I think because they're small and have fast, jerky movements. But overall, good focus and didn't drag me around everywhere. Then he saw a dog. :ohwell: It all went downhill from there and we ended up just leaving. He was pretty hot at the point anyway and we'd gone to the park nearby first so Stella could have a walk, so he actually already had a walk. We didn't take Stella with us to the farm since the travel stresses her out, I want him to travel without her influence, and I couldn't work with them both.

Last edited:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Osiris sleeping on the way home today:

20201009_112757.jpg
20201009_120742.jpg

How Osiris likes to sit in the car:
20201009_113619.jpg

Si the Mighty Bug Hunter:

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I have an inquiry as to how to get my cats to play. I have three in total: two males of six years and a female of three years. I would not usually have cats of such an age difference but the female was kind of an accident. A very happy one, I assure you, but we do have our problems. Her father was feral and I do believe this has an affect on her personality. Not that she's necessarily mean or a bad cat, but she is skittish.

So to begin with, I will admit I slacked off on play for a while. It somehow left my routine and, once a habit is broken, it's hard to remake. However, I wanted to make up for it. The only problem is that the cats don't make it easy. To boys are rather lazy and I can't figure out how to get them to move for more than a couple of minutes. Frost is more than happy to play if you dangle it over his head so he can bat at it while laying on his back. Ash was more willing to play, but it's faded away and I can't keep his interest anymore. I'm not as worried about them though because they do play together and neither are overweight, but I know they need some stimulation too. So my first inquiry is how can I get lazy cats to get off their butts (or backs as the case may be) and play?

The second issue is the female, Ember. She's willing to play with me, but she's often nervous about any noises or anything. I don't have very many places to separate them from though I haven't had a problem with the boys playing together. With Ember, I've tried playing with her in the living room and my bedroom. She used to be okay with playing in the living room, but there's been a bit of tension between her and Ash and she no longer feels comfortable there. I tried playing with her in my room with the door shut, but Frost will scratch at the door and then she goes running over there with her tail lashing. So my second question is what can I do for her? She's such a nervous little cat though she's very friendly. Of all the cats I've had in my life, she's the first to really bond with me and I feel bad because she isn't really one of the group. The boys have accepted her into the household, but they're not exactly close. Sometimes Frost with play with her and Ash will let her lay next to him, but not much else. I'm also so happy when I see one of them groom her or something that shows both her and me that she has, indeed, been accepted. But they still don't play with her a whole lot and she is more of a people cat so I feel obligated to be the companion she needs.
Jackson galaxy has a YouTube video to fix play time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!

Wow!!! Ember!!! How cool is that? Rolling around to him is really impressive. She loves!! Awwwwwwwww Good job Ash. Interesting, Frost was the first to trust and is now a "crab". All in all I would say you are past the intro!!! GREAT JOB!! Yes, they can't resist a tail so I can't expect a puppy!!! ;) I am s proud of Si. He loves them. What a sweetie!!! No, agreed, you can teach him not to go after tails.

That is cool. Yes, mistakes will happen. At least they resolve them.

Agreed. Nothing to lose.

That is great to hear!! Yes, it seems to have helped. He is really good. Yes, hopefully you can have a little time to enjoy. Doing everything is challenging but you can do it. But it is nice to have it a little easier.

Yeah. But I am wondering if you remind him of someone else. I know dogs will do that. People look somewhat alike to dogs at times. It happens. Just try to not take it hard and d your best with him.

Poor Stella, yes, that happens. :( Si really was worried about her. He loves. He is really something, he seems to really love the other animals. I knew he would love the humans but am really happy he loves the other animals. Doesn't always happen. So cool, He is really sweet!!!

Yeah, he is getting more protective and hearing more I am guessing. I am thinking he is feeling more protective not only of the humans but now the other animals. I have had many dogs like that.

Wow. I am surprised that all the kids were there. With Covid and everything. Too bad he didn't have more room to run around. Great that he did so well with animals. I guess given the way he is with the cats and Stella I am not surprised. With kids though that is really good. The other dog. :/ Well.................................... Overall, I would say really good except you couldn't get him on the obstacles much. :/

My goodness, he is ADORABLE!!!! My goodness he looks sweet!!!

Oh is he cute!!! He loves that!!! He is so puppy. Enjoy it while it lasts.

He is just gorgeous. I love black GSs. Si is perfection!!! I am really envious. He is literally my dream dog.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!

Wow!!! Ember!!! How cool is that? Rolling around to him is really impressive. She loves!! Awwwwwwwww Good job Ash. Interesting, Frost was the first to trust and is now a "crab". All in all I would say you are past the intro!!! GREAT JOB!! Yes, they can't resist a tail so I can't expect a puppy!!! ;) I am s proud of Si. He loves them. What a sweetie!!! No, agreed, you can teach him not to go after tails.

That is cool. Yes, mistakes will happen. At least they resolve them.

Agreed. Nothing to lose.

That is great to hear!! Yes, it seems to have helped. He is really good. Yes, hopefully you can have a little time to enjoy. Doing everything is challenging but you can do it. But it is nice to have it a little easier.

Yeah. But I am wondering if you remind him of someone else. I know dogs will do that. People look somewhat alike to dogs at times. It happens. Just try to not take it hard and d your best with him.

Poor Stella, yes, that happens. :( Si really was worried about her. He loves. He is really something, he seems to really love the other animals. I knew he would love the humans but am really happy he loves the other animals. Doesn't always happen. So cool, He is really sweet!!!

Yeah, he is getting more protective and hearing more I am guessing. I am thinking he is feeling more protective not only of the humans but now the other animals. I have had many dogs like that.

Wow. I am surprised that all the kids were there. With Covid and everything. Too bad he didn't have more room to run around. Great that he did so well with animals. I guess given the way he is with the cats and Stella I am not surprised. With kids though that is really good. The other dog. :/ Well.................................... Overall, I would say really good except you couldn't get him on the obstacles much. :/

My goodness, he is ADORABLE!!!! My goodness he looks sweet!!!

Oh is he cute!!! He loves that!!! He is so puppy. Enjoy it while it lasts.

He is just gorgeous. I love black GSs. Si is perfection!!! I am really envious. He is literally my dream dog.
She really has been doing very well. They all have. Osiris is a bit obnoxious, but he's slowly getting more used to them being around. Frost is a huge crab. Si can be five feet away facing the other direction and Frost will be mrowling and hissing at him. He's been getting like that with Ember again too. Osiris has gotten a bit worse about running at them though. I do not like him running like that at all. It spooks Ember too. Frost started playing yesterday and was chasing a ball around. I had no idea what was going on. I just noticed both Frost and Si going after something. Turned out it was a little ball. It drove Si crazy because I wouldn't let him have it or chase the cat who was chasing the ball around. Si really does just love them though. He's definitely gotten more attached to Ember lately since she's been tolerating him so well.

Yes, it'll be nice to be able to calm down a little and not have to rush things. Maybe be able to focus on him and the other animals a little more.

Quite honestly, I'd rather not have to deal with that dog at all. I can't be within sight of him without him growling and barking at me, and I'm not at all convinced that he couldn't get out of there if he chose to.

He was so worried! It was really cute. I felt bad for Stella, of course, but it was cute watching him.

Si was doing pretty well at stopping the barking when told, but it seems like he's actually gotten worse with that. We have no idea what he's barking about half the time. He doesn't make a sound when the mailman is on the porch, but starts barking when absolutely nothing is going on! Weirdo.

We were surprised to see that many people too. It was Friday, so we figured no one would be out, but everywhere was busy. He did very well up until seeing that dog. I was definitely disappointing in not being able to do some obstacles with him. I want to work on his confidence and getting him used to those sorts of things.

He is adorable though sometimes I think I wouldn't mind if you took him. :ohwell: He's very annoying before his morning walk. Pretty much okay the rest of the day, but before that first walk...