Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Si just wants to be friends with the kitties. He really does just want to befriend and play with them at this point. It's nice how obvious his language is though. I don't think even Stella is so clear with her communication.

I think it's worth it if you want to have good pictures to remember things by. The hardest part really probably will be picking a camera, but it would be hard to go wrong. The computer part isn't that difficult, but it can take a few times to get the process down, especially if everything doesn't pop up automatically. I don't know hardly anything about computers or cameras compared to my dad.

Frost is definitely over this whole new dog thing. He just doesn't even care anymore. He came out this morning and got on the couch no more than a foot away from Si. Si did well, but it just drove him crazy that a cat was right there. He started whining and got up, tried to get closer to Frost, but got over it until Frost jumped down and started the whole thing over again.

Haha, yeah. Pesky raccoons. I haven't had too much trouble with them though.

It would be nice to know what they're thinking. And to be able to tell them to hold still so we can take a picture.

Haha. I hope so. I'm not an expert on breeders, but I've picked up on some things reading threads about people going to breeders and also because I've looked into breeders while obsessing over getting another dog. There are many different kinds of breeders though. It's not always easy to say which are good and which are bad, but most of the good ones do their best to find good homes and the people who buy from them will (and should) return the pup to the breeder if they can't care for them. Not many people are going to surrender such an expensive dog to a shelter even if only because of the money they spent.

It hasn't been easy so far, but I think it'll get better as we get into a routine and he gets over the cats. He sleeps quite a bit once he's worn out, so that's good but we do need to work on what we're doing in the afternoon. I haven't been able to completely wear him out in the house, so I think I'm going to start taking him out on the long line to the side of our yard to try to play. It's definitely better now that I've gotten my expectations straight and have quit wondering if I made a mistake. I think it's hard with the cats because they're so good at hiding things too. You think you know how they're doing, what they're feeling, but there's always that nagging thought that maybe they're just hiding their stress. But then you just have to trust that you know them well enough to know. Ember hung out in the hall earlier though and Si only "barked" a couple of times. I don't really know what to call that noise though. It's not a true bark, but is kind of like the awoo noise that a husky makes. Not quite the same, but similar. Ember just sat there and watched him. She seems curious like she wants to come out and check him out, but isn't quite comfortable enough for that. She still feels safest behind the gate. I don't think anyone is a fan of house training, but depending on the puppy it can be fairly easy. Zara was starting to alert us to needing to go out in about 2 1/2 weeks. My animals really are my life. They can be a lot of work, but I couldn't handle it if I didn't do my best to give them the best life I could.

I don't usually know what the update is either. I just know I got this new feature in one update a while ago and now it's gone. My curiosity gets the better of me occasionally because there's a weird email, but it's usually some site or organization I somehow got subscribed to. Usually animal related. Yes, those annoying phone calls. I've been getting calls that say "Scam Likely" for the caller name. I don't know who "Scam Likely" is, but I don't want to talk to them!

We only have the gate that we need to routine to the shelter and we're currently using it block off the hall. Maybe something similar could be helpful, but he could get through that if he really wanted to. He almost has. The cats would have to jump it and I'm afraid that could get difficult for Ash with his arthritis. I was surprised he liked his teeth being brushed too. It is flavored as something, but can't say that helped any of the others.

He was awesome and I was really surprised! I wish Stella acted like that.

Si went for the pom, but I honestly doubt he'd do anything if he did get to another dog. I suspect it's like how we started with the cats. He feels vulnerable on the leash so he tries to create space by acting tough and scary, but when that doesn't work he has no clue what to do. It is frustrating having to worry about where I take him and when after already going through all of it with Stella. It's like starting at square one all over again.

It went better once he settled, but he freaked out at first. He didn't like the water spouting out, but when we kept the hose pressed against him he did calm down.

Yes, but you can see he wasn't sure if he wanted to be near me! He wasn't about to trust us again. He did get over it though and got treats.

He is beautiful.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwww. That is sweet. GREAT to hear as well!!!

Very true. I think I wish I would have done it sooner. :/ That is good to know. Hopefully it does go automatic. Well, you sure take good pictures so............................. You sure do the most important thing well!!!

OH MY!!! Frost!!!! Yep, he is so over it. He trusts. Si is funny, he just wants to play. He loves cats it seems!!! TOO FUNNY!!! I am so glad he is not aggressive. Whew.

Yep. You are lucky. I'll take raccoons over coyotes any day!!!

Well, in time we do more BUT not enough. Yes, though some do get better. "stay" can work better than we imagine.

Well, you do seem to know a lot about them. Makes sense.

Well, maybe you sugarcoat it a bit but so far it seems really good. It can be a lot worse.Yes a routine and then tiring out. But sounds like you have a good plan (and he does at times).Well, I think cats do hie at times BUT it does show if you really look. Changes in behavior, changes in little things (and sometimes big like eating etc). Litter box use. There are actually a lot of signs that can be picked up on and some very subtle. Frost is really going to help Ember and Ash. Give them confidence. So having Frost do so well (and Si) is really going to be (and I think with Ember is starting) helpful. The animals are my life as well. They can be a lot of work but it is so rewarding. We get more than we give. I know I am better for them. I know you give them all you can and that is great. Love is really powerful!! That is really good with Zara. Yes, no one enjoys it probably.

Always the things we like go away. Then they give other things we don't care about. :/ Oh my. Yeah, and sometimes they will act like Amazon or Wal Mart and the email address will just be a little different. It is too bad people have to be dishonest and for bad intent. Hahahaha, you made me laugh!!! Yes, I would talk to anyone named Spam Likely!!!! In fact, who would name their child that?!?!?!?!?!

There are those accordion type gates that have like a diamond pattern where you just squeeze it and you can walk through but if it stays open the "holes" or diamonds are open and a cat can get through but not a dog. BUT I don't even know if they sell them anymore. Mine are like 50 years old. :/ Jumping would be hard on Ash. Too funny. Si. he is such a sweetie. :/ too bad it didn;t help with the others. :/

He really was!! Hahahaha, yes. :/

Ahhhh, he did. Yeah, he doesn't seem dangerous BUT it is best to be careful. Interesting he feels vulnerable. Yeah, I can see that. BUT I think you can get him over it. Yeah, well he is a puppy. I think he will get over it.

Yeah, that happens. Sounds like he did well (and you).

Oh, I didn't get that sense. His body language looked good. Hahaha, that is good he got over it. Treats do work well!!

GORGEOUS!!! Like seriously striking. They say there are certain people when they walk into a room everyone looks, they command attention. Si reminds me of that. There is just something special about him. I am not exactly sure what but he is just striking. Like perfect. He just has that "charisma". I just love seeing him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frost doesn't think it's all that great. He's been getting tired of being followed around. Si does like to push it a bit, but the good news is that he does respond to the cats' warnings. It just takes a bit.

I don't think it can ever be soon enough. Even for as early as I started, I wish I had done it even earlier. If not with a real camera, then at least with my phone. The camera itself does half the work. Most of the rest is done after the picture is already taken in editing. You don't need to get into editing to have decent pictures, but unedited pictures are often darker or less saturated.

Si does seem to like the cats quite a bit. I'd say still a tiny bit uncertain, especially of the other two, but at this point he's mostly just very interested and wanting to make friends. He may like them a little too much, but hopefully he get over it pretty soon. He has scared me a few times because he can be laying there and behaving himself and then he launches himself up and at Frost, sometimes with his hackles starting to lift. But he always stops short and has never been aggressive towards him.

I'd imagine coyotes can be a little scary. I've only seen one once.

We've been working on his "wait" command. Stay will come after that. I've been focusing more on commands that'll help me in day-to-day situations.

I'm sure there's a lot I don't know (I don't know much on the specific testing required for individual breeds), but I've gathered a decent amount of information over time.

I wouldn't say I sugarcoat anything, but I do try to focus on his good traits over his bad traits. Mostly because I know a lot of those "bad" traits are really just him being a puppy. Also because talking about his good traits reminds me of how many he has and keeps me from focusing on the bad ones. He's good for a 5 month old puppy, but there's only so much you can really expect from a 5 month old puppy. At least I think he's good. I've never had one before. I like to think I'm good at noticing changes in my animals, but it is hard because there have been so many forced changes. They don't act completely normal because they can't. Ash doesn't usually spend so much time in my room or use the covered litter boxes as much. He isn't getting zoomies like usual either. Ember isn't dragging her mouse around the house and meowing (though she has started meowing some again). I don't know who's doing what in which litter box, but I do know they aren't going outside of them. They are all rewarding to have though. They keep me busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing is better than filling a house with animals!

I know right? I don't even know what that update did other than take that feature away. It is sad that people can be so cruel and do such mean things. We can't just trust anyone or anything. Lol. You have to feel bad for the kid named Scam Likely. I mean, people give their kids weird names sometimes, but that's going too far.

Yeah, I think I started looking into those gates in the past. I don't think there were very many options, but I can look again. That room is a little awkward because the boxes are to one side. I can block off the door which would be easiest, but we do go in and out of there fairly often. I have to take the dogs out there to get to the backyard.

A lot of dogs feel vulnerable on leash because they know they're attached to you and can't flee if they feel it's necessary. That means their only option left is to fight, but that doesn't mean they want to fight. That's where leash reactivity comes in. They try to scare the "threat" away before it has the chance to attack. I think he's still very uncertain of things in general, so that might contribute to his reactivity. As he gets more confident maybe it'll fade mostly on it's own. That's what I'm hoping for anyway!

He went to hide on the other side of a trashcan a couple of times after his bath. I think he'd finally calmed down a bit when I took the pictures, but he was still a bit wary.

He is absolutely beautiful. He definitely has a presence about him. We thought a scary-looking dog would keep people away, but I think it's gotten worse! Kids are obnoxious and want to pet him. They ride their bikes right up to him though and bikes make him nervous. He's only really spooked once, but he's still not sure of them. Bikes aren't even allowed on those paths!

My brother came over today to help my mom with something. Once again, Osiris did great. It was the first time we had someone come into the house. I had to put him in his kennel so I could deal with Stella, but I got him back out when she was in my room. I always have him sit before letting him out and he did just fine with that. He took to my brother pretty quickly and certainly didn't have any issues with him. He doesn't jump up on people or anything. He just says hi and then he's mostly over the other person.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, hmmmmmmm. I wonder what he really is thinking. SI is good. I just wonder if Frost instigates a bit. You know how boys are.............

So true. With the camera with the film is was so easy. So it was nice to take pictures. Yes, doing it as soon as possible is best if possible. But sometimes we think at the time it isn't a big deal then later we regret. :/ Oh my, editing. That is way above my ability. The old cameras were so easy. Just click and take the film in. :/

He seems to. And he has been really good. Uncertain is good though. And the cats needs to teach him. That is good he is just interested and wants to be friends. That is what it seems like to me. He will get over it. Yes, it can be scary because of the size. Things can go wrong sadly. So being on your toes is good.

VERY scary. Not so much solo but a pack. But solo they will attack. Deterring is very hard. It is just really hard. I know they have to survive but......................

Yes. I am sure he will pick up quickly.

Even experts don;t know everything. The key is to know what you know and know what you don't and stay humble and hungry (for more knowledge).

Yes, you seem straightforward. It could be an unintentional "sugarcoating" but I think you give the straight story. But I think you have been really good at pointing out the good and the "bad" (though I haven't really heard a bad trait yet really). I think he is amazing for a 5 month old. What bad traits do you think he has? Yes, I think you are good at noticing changes as well. Yes, they can;t be the same since there is change but fundamentally they seem to be doing surprisingly well (and I think that is thanks to you and the prior puppies and Si being so good). Everything I have read and knowing you and your mom tells me Si is going to be a great dog. Yes, they are very rewarding. Oh yes, busy!! You are so right, a house full of animals is a house full of love!!!

Exactly. I never really notice any changes. :/ Yes, it is sad people are like that. BUT we have to keep the faith and realize the vast majority of people are good. It is just the people in the shadows. :( Poor Scam Likely............... I agree, TOO FAR!!!! Hahahahaha That was funny.

Yeah, I haven't looked for them. They are pretty easy to get in and out for humans and the cats can sneak through but dogs tend to be leary of them.

Interesting. I never knew that. I think he will get over it. He is too smart.

Awwwww. Yes, they don;t always like baths.

He really is and really does. Do you think he looks scary? Maybe the pictures don't show that. He looks like I would just walk up to him and hug him!! He is gorgeous. Like you say, he has a presence. Interesting the kids go up to him. Yes, people on bikes (and runners). They can be so insensitive and clueless. :(

WOW!!! I am impressed. Your brother is good with dogs. But still, Si seems like he just knows. Pretty cool.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to respond yesterday as much as I had wanted to. We had a good moment with Ember that I wanted to immediately get on here and share, but I had work and have two doctor appointments tomorrow so needed to do schoolwork.

I had noticed over the last few days that Ember starting her normal meowing/yowling like she does when she carries her mouse toy around and calls for attention. I was happy to see her pick up normal behaviors, but did not expect her to get so brave so quickly. She continues to surprise me. She jumped up on my mom's computer desk (the desk partly sticks out in front of the hall) and was wanting to walk all over my mom's keyboard! Poor cat usually bugs me while I'm doing schoolwork, but couldn't get to me without having to walk in front of Si's crate in which he had been laying. My mom pulled a dining room chair out and Ember got across it to me. Si noticed her and came out, but my got a hold of him and managed to keep him quiet. He got over it pretty quickly and Ember hung on in my lap for a couple of minutes. It didn't last though because my mom got up and Ember thought she was going to feed them, so she went back down the hall.

There's rather little doubt in my mind that Frost instigates. Every time Si gets over his presence, he finds another way to push it. Our new nightly routine is I take the dogs out one last time and then put Si in his crate just to find Frost sitting behind the crate where I don't have blankets covering it. And he won't come out. I have to drag him out and the dining room table is pressed right up to the side of the crate, so it's not easy getting to him!

Once you got used to a digital camera you'd probably find it's actually easier. My dad had a film camera had one point. He's way better with technology than I am, but he's said the film was much more of a pain. The editing can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Some people barely do anything. Some people make the picture almost unrecognizable. It's certainly not necessary though.

I don't mind him being a little uncertain, but I prefer he gets the confidence to get used to them and then get over it. He is doing a lot better though. Still gets a bit noisy because Frost ignores him and hangs out just out of reach. Last night Si did start to nip at Frost's tail. :eek2: I can't say I'm all that surprised. That plumed tail flicking in the air is quite tempting. Frost didn't seem to notice. He seems to be getting more tolerant of Si and letting the dog get closer to him too.

This is true. I always want to know more about the topics I'm interesting in.

Honestly, I'm hesitant to call anything a "bad trait" because that makes it seem like their permanent and not something that can be solved with time or training. I don't think there's anything like that. More like bad behaviors. I mean, he's a five month old puppy. What puppy doesn't have bad behaviors? He's very mouthy. Not usually hard, but hard enough or small enough that it can hurt. He gets mouthy when he's overexcited or frustrated both of which happen fairly often. He's gotten quite pawsy with Stella and I'm afraid he could end up scratching her eyes if we don't get that under control. Sometimes he listens very well. Sometimes not at all. Barking at cats isn't good. Barking at other dogs isn't good. He's impatient and gets noisy when he doesn't get what he wants. Sometimes he has a hard time settling and then we struggle with him mouthy, harassing Stella, getting noisy with the cats, etc. But nothing we can't work on. There's definitely a lot of good traits that I'd like to work on making sure he keeps. Sometimes he settles very well for a puppy. He plays by himself. When he's not frustrating, scared, or wanting to play with the other animals, he's quiet. He travels pretty well (started stepping up on the thing between the front seats though), isn't obsessive with other people, and greets people nicely. The cats do continue to surprise me all the time. They're doing better than I would have expected.

Well, I'd certainly like to believe that the majority of people is good. And that no one would name their kid Scam Likely.

I might have to look for them. So far it hasn't been that much of an issue. He typically leaves it when told to. It would be nice if he could just learn to stay out of them, so that way I don't have to worry about it.

It could technically be frustration too. If they want to play with a dog, but can't then the behavior can build. However, the couple of times he's met another dog he seemed nervous and he's way better on the 50 foot long line. If he wanted to get to them, then I'd imagine he'd try no matter the length of the leash. So I'm going with fear-based reactivity.

Honestly, no. I mean, have you seen his ears? Lol. But it's pretty well known that people tend to not prefer black colored animals and there have been studies that prove that black dogs can trigger fear in people (something about predators at night appearing black, I think). And a lot of people with GSDs have reported that people tend to avoid them. So we're just not normal for preferring black GSDs. :tongue: I'm thinking with the kids it's because he's scary looking that they want to "prove" themselves by going up to him and touching him. I've noticed it's mostly young boys and some preteens/early teens. Like their so tough and/or cool for touching the six month old, giant-eared cry baby. :lol:

The malamute x GSD that I grew up with was my brother's dog though my brother didn't actually do anything to take care of him. That dog absolutely loved him though. And that dog didn't like most men!

I took Si to work with me yesterday. That didn't go over very well. I can't say I had very high hopes since they have three cats there and they bring dogs in and out all the time. My boss took him into the office with her for a little while. She's a professional dog trainer and worked with him around Flounder (their most confident cat) for a bit. She ended up leaving and tried to put him in the receptionist area, but he chased Gyzmo (most skittish cat) and started barking which then startled a cat there to have blood taken. So he had to go in a kennel where he freaked out and barked and cried for a while. :sigh: I was hoping he'd be able to go to work with me and give the cats and Stella a break, but that's not happening. I did get him weighed though. He's 50.8 lbs! That's bigger than I expected.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ok. Understandable how busy you are. I actually checked if the alert didn't work. :) I am getting smarter!!

WOW!!! That is GREAT!!! Good job on handling Si. That is really a great moment!!!

Hahahaha, Frost................ OH MY, HE is TOO FUNNY!!! (I guess because I don't have to go get him). Frost loves Si.

Interesting. I guess maybe because I always used film it was easy. Now I never knew what all the dials and buttons did but I just pointed and clicked then took it to the photo shop. I need simple. I wouldn't edit. :/ I wonder why people would make them unrecognizable?

Agreed. But he will gain confidence and get over it in time. Being uncertain now is good so nothing bad happens. He is doing a lot better. Sometimes it is easy to be a bit away to see it more clearly. WOW!! Yeah, no puppy is going to pass on a tail (that acts like a toy). Frost. I honestly am surprised he likes Si so much. I didn't think this fast and this much.

You are very diligent (there is a better word probably). You like to know things.

Yeah, those are all puppy and solvable issues it seems to me. He is much better than most pups in my experience. I think he is going to be fine. We'll see if he has any "traits" but I am guessing he will get over them. The cats are doing amazingly well especially given the recent Ember behavior. Come on Ash now.

Yes and hahahaha YES!!!! But there are some "unique" names out there.......................

Hopefully you can find something. Yeah, it is hard to control him. They like it. :/ You may be able to train him not to since I think he is really smart. But they do have that pull to it. :/

Yes. And makes sense. It is pretty interesting. The psychology of it all.

Right? He looks so adorable. Oh, I LOVE those ears!! They are perfect. Yeah, I have seen those studies. I find that so weird to be honest. I LOVE black dogs and black cats. My girl (black cat is my fave actually) and my boy in my colony is SO SWEET. Every night my girl comes on me for love before bed. I actually prefer Si to other GSs. :/ I don't like saying that because I like the regular GSs but to me SI is perfection. I think he is just stunning. Interesting. Yeah, I don't really know what other people think. I would guess black GSs are more rare? Oh, I am confused, do you think Si looks scary? I think he looks so lovable and hugable!! Interesting theory on the kids. I don;t know, do you really think they think he looks scary? I know the kids I would run into for some of my dogs are really afraid of them. :/ So they really stay away. Hahahaha, Si a crybaby? Hahahaha.

Interesting. Your brother has that "something" with dogs it seems. Some people do have that. Very interesting.

:( Awwwwwwwwww. That sounds pretty normal. Over excited, too much stimuli. I know when my dogs go to the vet they are really wild. Just too much going on, too much excitement. Oh wow, 50lbs. He didn't look that big. Oh my, every time I hear about him I like him more. I LOVE big dogs!! Nowadays it is getting harder to handle them but mine now are real good. But if I am luckily enough to get another dog I will have to be careful about how big they will get. :/ A woman I saw last night almost got pulled over by her dog. She has a boxer, not that big, but the dog saw a squirrel and ran after it and almost pulled her down. And she was focused walking the dog. The dog was strong. But I just love big dogs. I wonder how big Si will get?

My, if I saw Si, I would want to pet him. :/ He just looks so lovable to me.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was really hard not too. Especially after that moment with Ember. It was the first thing I wanted to do.

It was great. She tried to again today, but this time just walked right out and over to me. However, Si noticed her before I was able to get her up on my lap. My mom managed to stop him before he actually got to her, but she ran off anyway. It's going to be difficult getting them used to each other since Si is so obsessive and Ember is likely to run every time he approaches.

Frost is ridiculous. Si is starting to get a little less interested in him, but it still often ends up too much for him to just sit back and watch the cat walk by.

Digital camera would be similar. You don't need to know what all the buttons and dials do. Just turn it on and press the button. The difference is that you don't have to take it in anywhere and you can take a dozen pictures and keep the good one(s). Some people like to get really creative with pictures and give them a certain "feel." If you look up photographers, you'll quickly notice that they all have their own style. Some are very subtle, some are serene, some are quite dramatic.

Yes, he's doing a lot better. Sometimes it's still frustrating and I want to just take a break from it all, but there's no taking a break from animals and especially not a puppy. I think that's the worst part of having a puppy. They're a lot of work and you can't just step back and quit for a moment. But then I have to remind myself that it's not all that bad and it could be a lot worse, and we have our good moments that make it all seem worth it. I am surprised Frost is so tolerant. I mean, he's noisy, but he's only actually slapped Si three, maybe four times, and Si doesn't want to leave him alone.

I do like to know things!

Yeah, I don't think it's anything permanent. Sometimes it feels like a lot, but then that's puppies for you. I appreciate that I can set an hour aside here and there for him and then leave him for a few hours to do schoolwork. Ash is pretty comfortable coming out if Si is in the crate with a chew or with the crate covered. In fact, they all came out when I covered the crate last night. I mean, I barely got the blanket down before Ember was out. Ash was the first to start coming out while I prepared their meals. However, he's still quite skittish with Si out of the crate and when he does come it, he's low to the ground and fast. He took the gate down once because he hurried up and flung himself over it. Since then he's been extra careful. It's kind of funny watching them jump. Like, half way through it it just looks like they're floating for a second.

Indeed, some very unique names.

I'm afraid since he got to eat some it may be too late, but it would be ideal if he just left it on his own.

It is so interesting! I love learning about animal behavior and how their minds work. I never considered myself a very "science-y" kind of person, but the psychology aspect of it (and the genetic aspect!) is very interesting.

I know! I love his ears. The vet and my boss (the vet's wife) both loved his ears. It sort of makes sense that we could have a leftover instinct to be afraid of something that looks dangerous (like a predator in the dark), but I don't really get it either. My mom and I have always preferred black animals as well. Obviously we don't all have that instinct. I think he's absolutely beautiful and could give even the nicest looking GSDs a run for their money. I don't think he looks scary, but he fits the bill of what most people apparently think is scary, so I'm assuming that at least some will think so. Maybe intimidating is a better word? Black GSDs aren't exactly rare, but less common, yes. I think black is more common in working lines than show lines. I think it's sort of like how some people hate pit bulls because of their reputation and some people love them because of their reputation. And the same with GSDs, too. Some people are terrified of them because of their reputation, but some are drawn to that sort of thing. I think we can agree that approaching a tiny Chi x and approaching a GSD are treated as two different things. The Chi x is less threatening, less of a danger. And I think young boys in particular like to show off how "tough" they are and especially so in front of their friends. Yes, Si is a bit of a drama queen. He screamed when we bathed him like he does when he gets his foot stepped on. He can be a tad dramatic.

My brother did wrestle with Bullet, the malamute x. That was probably the one thing he had going for him. Bullet loved to roughhouse.

It's sad because Si really does very well in other places. I walked him around to let him sniff and he did fantastic. He said hi to everyone, but didn't jump or get crazy. He sniffed around, but didn't drag me. If there weren't any other animals he probably would've done just fine. I felt bad that he got stuck in a kennel and cried so much, but I couldn't stay with him or we'd be there all night. Yeah, I didn't expect 50lbs. He's pretty tall and long, but still very thin/narrow in build. I know a man down the street got a boxer that he never trained or worked with. I think he's in his sixties or so and I was talking to him. He gave that dog the tiniest bit of slack and the dog tried to get to Stella. The guy hit the ground. I felt bad because I couldn't even help since I had Stella. I don't think he has that dog anymore though. The vet thinks Si will probably be 65-70lbs. Possibly 75 depending on how he fills out.

He is lovable, that's for sure. So sweet and gentle (when he wants to be!).

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)

It is a process BUT that is pretty good she did come out. I would expect Si to be interested, your mom did a great job. And Ember ran (instinct) but nothing really happened so it actually builds her trust.

Hahahaha, some are. Si is getting used to him. But yes, the excitement is still there. He is a puppy and wants to play.

I think some of it is just new and a mental block. :/ I know it took a long time to feel more comfortable with a computer and I still fear doing something wrong. That is good to know. I just worry about all the downstream as well. It seems overwhelming. :/ Yes, I guess the more expert a person is the more they want to be as good as possible. Do you do a lot of that? Your pictures are amazing looking.

He really is. I am impressed. Oh, I know. It is tiring. I have been there many times. But the reward at the end is so great. In life a skill of never giving up is really important. You never lose if you try your best and never give up. And that is in everything in life really. Even if the result isn't what you want if you do your best and try as hard as possible you are a winner. That is a separate point and not towards you but just in general. You will do great. Frost is so funny. It is amazing how comfortable he has gotten.

Yes!! That is the spice of life. Knowledge.

Agreed. Yeah, it can be overwhelming but it gets easier as you do it more. Everything you are feeling is so normal. We all have gone through that. That is really nice you can get away and he is good. A lot will whine etc. That is really good to hear about Ash. And Ember is really coming along. Ash is acting pretty normal and wise. Oh I know, it happens with gates. :( It really is cool to see them jump and float as you say. I just love how they look. It is so cool.

YES!!! Moonbeam is an interesting one...........

:( Well, you never know.

It really is. It is fascinating. It applies to animals and humans. Psychology is absolutely fascinating. It is amazing what a person can learn.

Me too!! He looks so regal to me!! I see what you mean. Yeah, we are on the same page (surprise surprise). Oh, I didn't realize they are rare. I guess I never really see them much. And I am always looking. I just love them but rarely did I get a chance to get one. Oh, I LOVE Pitties. They are so sweet. Yeah, I don;t think we have those same perceptions (mis-perceptions) of others. Yeah, I see your point. Hahahaha, Si. That is funny. I had a Dobbie that was such a drama queen. She was such a protector but oh wow was she a drama queen.

Awwww, they do like that!!!

Well, it isn't the end of the world. he will get over it. He just gets overexcited. Yeah, I was surprised. It will be interesting to see how big he gets. I am thinking he is going to be over 75lbs. We'll see. But vets do know......................... Yeah, that does happen. :( Poor guy.

He sure seems like it. He just seems ideal. He seems like a king to me. He has has that regal presence. You are so lucky.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm really proud of her for coming out. She didn't do it today, but she's still meowing and asking for attention more than she was. I want to try to teach Si to not run up to them. He usually slows down before he gets to them, but when he first starts he runs.

Frost got in Si's crate today! :eek2: Si was making a bunch of noise in his crate and we didn't know why. Turned out it's because there's a cat in there! They were both quite vocal as first and there was some hissing and growling on Frost's part, but I'm sure not kicking the dog out of his own crate! If Frost was bothered that much he would've either gotten out or beaten Si up. They both settled for a moment though and laid near each other. I will add pictures.

Getting into computers can certainly be daunting. I hate having to get a new computer and ending up with a different version of Windows or whatever. It's not usually too bad, but it can still be a pain. I would say I'm sort of in the middle when it comes to editing. I'm not very good at choosing a "style" because I think it depends on the picture. A lot of people seem to limit themselves to peaceful, exciting, dramatic, dark, etc. To me, I like to take the pictures and decide the "feel" later. Typically, I do less editing because editing takes a long time and most of my photography has been for the shelter. In that case, it's more important to get good pictures done quickly than have great pictures that take more time. The pictures I've done with the solid background take the longest because I have to darken the background and lighten the subject.

I think he'll certainly be worth the effort in the end. He was a little crazy this morning despite the fact that we actually went for our walk early today, but since then he's been pretty good. I've been very tired and not feeling great because I haven't been sleeping well and got allergy shots today and I forgot to take my allergy pill last night, so the allergies are pretty bad today. He's been calm though and let me rest. I know a lot people say you need to take dogs out regularly no matter the weather or how you feel, but I don't think that's always feasible. I mean, if it's hailing then you're probably not going out. If you have Covid, you're probably not going out. So I think they should be able to settle and be calm even if they miss out on some exercise.

He hates it when I go outside, but he has gotten much better about me going down the hall. He doesn't think the cats are out to kill me anymore. But he sleeps and chews on toys when I'm not paying attention to him.

Haha. Speaking of Ash's skittishness. He apparently got a boost of confidence last night. They were all out when we came in from our walk last night. They figured out I sometimes leave Si's food on the dining room table (left it in the kitchen that time though), so they come looking for it now. When we went in, Ash ran and then came back. Ember did the same, but then she ran again and didn't come back. Ash jumped up on the dining room chair and we ended up having a pretty good session feeding Ash and Si chicken. Si's butt went right up to Ash and Ash just sniffed at him. I was surprised there was no hissing or slapping. He sure would have slapped Stella in that situation when I first brought her in! So I guess all the cats have had a sort of break through moment now.

It is really cool watching them jump.

I've never heard Moonbeam used. At least it's kind of cool.

So far he leaves the litter boxes when told and hasn't tried to get out there on his own again, but I'm still cautious.

Yes! I didn't think I'd like my psychology class, but it was actually really interesting. I'm not usually into the human orientated classes, but it's cool to learn. When it's about animals, it's even better.

Sometimes he looks regal. Sometimes not so much. Lol. Awkward puppy. I think because he's not always very expressive, he can look quite serious. Or on our walks (especially at night) he's very alert and on-guard. Black GSDs are definitely less common than the black and tans. I think most people go for black and tans because that's what people associate with GSDs. Personally, those tan dogs with black "saddle" markings are my least favorite. Some are nice looking, but typically I say the darker the better. I love pitties too. Not really a breed I plan to get, but a lovely breed nonetheless.

In case you needed proof than Si is a drama queen, we thought we were going to have to rush him to the vet today. I'm not sure what's up with him today. He's been mostly chill, but sometimes very bark-y. He went off barking from his kennel and I just said "that's enough" and he stopped. We could only think that it was the washing machine. But then he started barking again and tried to rush out of his kennel. I saw it happen, but I'm honestly still not sure what actually happened. He was barking and then he went down and hit the floor and started screaming. He got up and went into the living room, but he was crying and limping. Wouldn't put any weight on his foot at all. I finally got him to come to me and he laid down with his head in my lap, but still crying. We looked over his paw, but didn't see anything. Once he got over his crying fit, he didn't react to us touching it or anything. My mom stood up and Si jumped up like, "Hey, where are you going? Why aren't you fussing over me anymore?" So we got him walking and he was fine. No limping. No favoring that foot. He acted like nothing happened. :doh: All that screaming! This is the second time he's hurt himself getting out of the kennel though. The first time was no where near as dramatic, but it does worry me that he's hurting himself on it. The only thing we could think of was that maybe his toes were under the bar near the bottom and he bent his toes when he tried to come out.

Indeed. Even Stella loves to roughhouse. Unfortunately, I tend to be sensitive and end up covered in red marks after even a short wrestling match, so it's not something I do often.

I hope. I was really hoping I'd be able to take him with me. It would've been good to get him out, meet other people, see other animals, but he's just way too reactive right now. Stella is even worse. She's not bothered by the cats, but boy does she cry when I leave her. I plan on keeping Si pretty lean, so 75 lbs would be impressive. But we will see!

I'm not sure I'd describe any puppy as "ideal," but I suppose in comparison to other puppies! He'll probably be more king-like when full grown. Right now he's more like the awkward prince...

We have had some success with other dogs. I've discovered he has rather little issues with them on the 50 foot long line. He can focus a bit more than I like, but does not actually react. We've been able to be relatively close to other dogs even on his normal leash during the day. Not close close, but much closer than we were able to be initially. At night it's still a struggle, but we had a dog pass us last night. It was at the narrowest part of the park, unfortunately, and I wasn't able to get very far. Not as far as I would have liked. They had a little beagle-looking dog that was scrambling against the leash like crazy though did not bark. Si was very focused and hesitant to take food, but he didn't make a sound until they were right in front of us and it never become a full blown bark. He did bark at a dog from the car tonight though.

Pictures will be below. And possibly a video. We'll see if it works.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the crate with Frost:
20200923_112259.jpg
20200923_112319.jpg
20200923_112334.jpg

Video of Si chasing bugs:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHAT?!?!?!!?!? Frost is in the crate with Si?????? Oh my goodness, I never saw Frost before. He is GORGEOUS!!!! I did not picture him looking like that. So how did Frost get in there? Oh my, I need more info!!!! Those pics are amazing!!!

Totally agree. It does take time. She will again. Yes, that is normal. Dogs love to run to cats. BUT he sounds like he is getting better which is great!!!

Ohhhhh, so that is the story. Frost!!! I mean, serious? Do you think Si got out and Frost went in to investigate and then Si went in and blocked Frost in? Oh yes, hissing and growling to tell SI not to try anything (which Si listened to !!! :yess: ) The pics sure don't show stress!!! My goodness, that is funny. They are GORGEOUS animals!!! WOW!!

Yes, to be honest, I am afraid of computers. :/ There is just so much unknown going on and I feel like I am not in control. :( Interesting on editing. I can see that. It is like baking. How we do it to our tastes and adjust as needed. Well, your pics are amazing. I think you could be a pro.

Definitely. Well, animals can get crazy anytime. To much exercise, not enough, just the right amount. I think it depends on a lot of factors, weather, environment, emotions of humans, etc. My animals get wild and it just depends. I am sorry you are not feeling well. I hope you feel well soon!!! Wow, it is good he is calm and letting you rest. Hopefully it continues. It is hard. I agree with you. They need to learn to settle if possible and that not always can they get everything they want. :/ BUT animals are more adaptable than people may think. And for the human understanding them as well helps.

He thinks you are leaving him. :( That is good he is ok with you going down the hall!! He is starting to understand. That is good. Sleeping and toys are good for him.

WOW!!! Ash!!!!! Yep, things are progressing!!! THAT is a GOOD Session!! Funny you think he would have slapped Stella. Maybe Si is still too big to mess with him yet, not enough trust yet (that may have helped!!). Good job!!!

It is so graceful. Like slow motion. Amazing.

It is cool. Yeah, you are too young.

That is really good. He is very smart. Fingers crossed. I would stay cautious as well. :/

I could see you liking that and being really good at it. Yes, agreed, with animals it is even better!!

From the pics I have seen regal comes to mind. Yeah, I am sure he has puppy awkwardness!!! Which is really cute too. Yeah, I can see the seriousness. Yes, his instinct will be to protect you. Yes, agree. I just think the black GSs are just gorgeous. My preference. We are so similar. My pitties have been amazing dogs. They are so lovely. One was bitey with this big mouth and would put is around my arm but no pressure. It was his way of saying "I LOVE YOU". I never had a pittie turn or be mean.

Oh my!!! I had a Dobbie like that. Hmmmmm, yeah, he must be doing something, catching something. Whew, glad he is ok!!!

Yes. :/ It is amazing how some animals just love to roughhouse. I am kinda surprised Stella likes it.

Yes, in time probably. He is smart so I think a lot can be achieved. I am not surprised with Stella. Yeah, 75 will be good.

Yeah, well, I guess some are easier. He sure is good compared to other pups.Awwwwww, well awkward Prince is good too. In the pics he looks so regal, king like. I do think he will be when full grown. I love his looks.

That is impressive. I think he is doing great. That was a test he did really well with (last night beagle). I am impressed!!!

Oh my is he cute chasing bugs!! He is gorgeous. He does really well on the leash.

I can't believe how gorgeous Frost it. I didn't picture him like that. I love those pics, they are so adorable. Frost does not look stressed!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. Frost is my pretty boy. Everyone always falls in love with him. The tech at the vet almost took him home with her.

I hope she gets comfortable enough to come out more soon. I know having a 50lb dog running at you when you're so small is intimidating, but it's hard to get him over them when he isn't constantly exposed to them. He's getting better and better with Frost, but not so much the other two.

I'm honestly not sure what happened or when Frost got in there. Si just walked in there and started that arooing bark sound. My mom looked in and saw Frost in there. I think Frost would have reacted worse if he felt truly stuck, but it probably wasn't the situation he was intending on being in. There was definitely a lot of noise to get the point in the pictures. Si is like a teen fan girl meeting her idol. All that noise and freaking out, and then he goes and acts so cool, but you can just tell he's thrilled to be that close to the cat.

Computers are a lot. I think if you aren't interested in certain aspects of them then there's rather little need to worry about them. I could certainly be more careful with mine, but nothing too horrible has happened (knock on wood). Yes, though many people tend to only "make" a certain type of product. To me that would be like always have cupcakes or cookies or doughnuts when you could have all of them!

Gosh, he is obnoxious in the mornings. He's fine until my mom gets up. I always let them rest after breakfast before doing any exercise and he may paw at Stella a couple of times or get playful for a few minutes, but he ends up laying on the couch with Stella and me until my mom gets up and then I think he gets excited because he knows that means we'll leave soon. He was very mouthy today. Could not get him to stop biting me, his leash, Stella's leash... I'll be happy when we're done with this mouthiness. I feel better today. It was just a mix of lack of sleep and bad allergies. Still not sleeping well, but the allergies are better. He did great with just letting me rest though. He can certainly be a very good dog when he wants to be.

Yes, it always makes me feel bad to think he's afraid I'll just disappear. Stella went through that as well and it took years for her to get over it. I'm not sure she's fully over it even now, honestly. But at the same time, he's going to have to get used to me leaving.

It seemed very out of the blue for Ash to be so calm around Si. I asked him if he got in the Gabapentin because he was so chilled. He almost definitely would have slapped Stella. In fact, it was only up to maybe a year or so ago that he wouldn't have!

I did better in psychology than I did in biology anyway.

I could see him looking regal in some pictures. Perhaps not the video of him chasing bugs. :lol: He does look very serious a lot of times. Sometimes it's easy to forget he really is just a baby still. I have noticed he doesn't seem to like it when I put myself between him and the other dog. We moved away while a dog went by and he even sat on my foot for a moment though he couldn't stay sitting for very long. They are beautiful. Pitties are wonderful dog. Those and labs are always fun dogs to meet because they're so eager to see people and excited to make friends. I love meeting those dogs. They just aren't my preference for the dogs I live with. I have met some mouthy dogs that do it for a variety of reasons.

It was a scary moment. He would not put his foot down at all. Held it up to his chest. I thought he'd at least have a torn claw, if not a broken toe. Nope. Nothing. I hope it doesn't get any worse. That was an expensive crate for it to end up hurting my dog and then I can't use it!

Stella absolutely loves it. My uncle used to roughhouse with her a lot which led to a preference for men and my dad made sure that was reinforced.

Well, maybe anyway. If all goes well, we'll be getting out of here next summer and I won't be working there anymore! I would like to always have a job that I could bring a dog to though. My mom could watch them, but I'd rather she didn't and Stella certainly can't go with me as it is. I'm not too worried about his weight. I love large dogs, but medium sized ones tend to do better in agility, so I'm okay if he gets to be huge or if he ends up not growing much more.

He is a lovely dog to look at. It's funny because I usually refer to animals in one particular way (Frost is pretty, Ash is handsome, Ember is adorable), but he's different things at different times. Sometimes he's cute, sometimes he's handsome...

He started doing pretty well with a dog this morning. I went out in the parking lot to give us more space and he was definitely focused, but started off quiet. Then the dog barked! Well, it was a couple of huffy sounding barks rather than real barking, but I've never heard that dog make a sound before. Si didn't do as badly as I would have expected with that, but he did quit taking treats from and and then started barking at a couple of little dogs while I was trying to get him in the vehicle.

It's a lot less cute when he's on the normal leash! He almost took me down when I let my guard down. That was the 50 foot long line he was on in the video. He started off on a 20ft line and the first couple of days on the 50ft he didn't seem to realize he had more line to work with.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwww. I can see why!!!! He is really stunning. He looks so innocent. His looks don't match his behavior. I can't see him being grumpy!!!

She will as will Ash. It just takes some time. They will be exposed. And he will get used to them. I would say he is doing well with Frost!!

That is so funny. Yes, Frost would have acted totally different. I LOVE that Si respected Frost. That is a big, important deal. Hahaha, SI, yes a fan!!! Then once you meet the person you don't know what to say or do!!! Hahahah, too funny!!! SI did love it. It is REALLY cute!!!

They really are. :/ I just know how to click and type. Anything else is way above me. :/ Oh my, that is good. Be careful. You don't want viruses. On computers I only "make" one product.:) But on cakes and cupcakes etc I make many!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Hahahahaha. It is funny, he is good then gets excited. :/ Yes, they will get mouthy at times. I am glad you are feeling better today. I know it is hard. I have some issues that make things more difficult so I know how difficult that can be. It is impressive that he was so good. Sometimes they know but he is really young to already know. Fingers crossed. Feel better and I hope you get some sleep.

It is normal. Most animals go through that. With feral cats it can be really powerful. And with animals that have had multiple homes. It is normal BUT he is getting better. Learning to trust, etc.

Hahahaha. Ash. Too funny!!!

Yes. I thought he looked cool in the video. And I liked how he came back to you. Yes, he does act and look older than he is. But he is young. I wonder if he worries about your safety? Awwww, that is pretty good. He did pretty well. I am sure he gets excited. Yes, agreed and agreed.

Yes. I wonder what happened? Maybe it just stung for a while. It is good nothing really happened.

Awwwwwwwww. Yes, some really do.

Yes, true. Fingers crossed. Your job seems like a good place, the people seem nice though I know the work is not the greatest. :/ Yes, being able to bring your pet would be nice!!! Yes, agreed on size. We'll see where he ends up.

He really is. Yes, I can see that. Awwwww on the cats. And he is regal. ;)

That is pretty good. Maybe the other dog loved Si?

So true!!! Yes, they do know the length and then realize whoa this is more freedom!!! It is pretty funny!!! He was really good on the long leash. I was impressed. He did not act like an undisciplined puppy. He was really good.

Thanks for the pics and video!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! He tends to have this wide-eyed, kitten-ish look to him, but it's misleading! His meow is often rather kitten-ish too. Ash looks like a crab, but he's really not. It's the total opposite when I try to get pictures though!

Ash did come out again last night and was out for a few minutes this morning. Ember hasn't tried again yet, but she's definitely meowing a lot and hanging out in the hall. She isn't afraid of Si as long as that gate is between them. Ash has started up his yowling and some minor zoomies at night and Ember has been going crazy in the morning. She runs in and out of my room once my alarm goes off. Ash just came out. He's trying to go a little crazy. Si went to go towards him, but did stop at least momentarily when told and Ash got out in the storage room.

Si is still learning boundaries. He doesn't always taking growling and hissing very seriously. He does back off when Frost slaps at him, but he tends to just want to go right back to him. I'm starting to work more on getting him to respect the communication. I'd rather it not need to escalate to slapping at all. But then Frost is rather fickle. Sometimes he sniffs noses with Si, sometimes he gets noisy even when Si is still a few feet away from him.

Well, clicking and typing is basically half the battle. That's most of what I do, anyway. I don't make very many of anything in real life, unfortunately. Cooking is not my thing.

The morning pre-walk is probably the hardest time to deal with him. Can't do much of anything without him underfoot and chewing on you or whatever you're trying to use. He's always trying to play tug with Stella's leash and chewing on her harness. And if he can't have those then he chews on his own leash. I told him if he didn't stop biting me I'd get a muzzle for him. He didn't seem to care. He could probably use a muzzle with the way he wants to eat things off the ground outside. He keeps picking up acorns off the ground. Yes, much better now. Could still use some more sleep, but the allergies are better. I had a pretty bad reaction to my shots and had to take a Benadryl last night because it wasn't going away.

Doesn't make it any easier though. I'd take him everywhere with me if I could, but even if I could trust him to act properly, many places don't allow dogs in. So he will have to deal with me leaving and he has been doing okay when my mom is still here. Acts up for a moment, but then calms down.

He looks like a giant dork chasing bugs. :lol: His more intimidating looks and serious expressions just make it all the more funny to see him leaping for butterflies and diving in the grass. He does usually check back with me even if it's just a quick pass. Definitely a lot more engaged than in the beginning though we still have a ways to go. He did well with a small lab today. He was on his normal leash. I did get him pretty far, but still a lot better than where we started.

I wish I knew.

Yes, I like where I work. Everyone there is very nice. The work isn't fun, but it's not all that bad. As long as you aren't easily grossed out anyway. I've had to deal with some pretty gross things, but the worst of it on a normal day is usually just the litter boxes and I'm used to those. I'm glad I got this job (I thought I was going to be stuck at Shnuck's!). Could pay a little more though.

Haha. Yes, regal too. Today I called him pretty too.

I don't know what that was about. I've been much closer to that dog with Stella before and haven't ever heard him make a sound. He's a sort of medium-sized mutt. I think he's kind of older and tends to walk slow. He has to stop and look at every dog he passes, but is usually quiet and calm.

He figured out pretty quick how much space he has to work with and I usually keep moving with him, so he doesn't often hit the end of it. If he does, it's usually when he's chasing bugs and not paying attention. Otherwise I don't really have high expectations or anything. I just need to get him to listen to me when I want him to and he's not doing badly with that.

Not a problem! I love sharing when it comes to pictures of my animals! I'd like to take my camera out with me this weekend to get pictures at the park.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really does!!! That is so funny. I guess you can't tell a book by its cover........................

That is good. Ember will try again. It just takes a little time. I am proud of Si for listening!! Sounds like it is going pretty well.

Yeah, that is common. And of course the communication can be at different levels of "don't bother me" to "if you don't stop you will regret it". Pups don't understand as much but it sounds pretty normal. So far I think it is going well. Frost is doing well.

Hahahaha, you are right for the most part until something goes wrong. :/ Then it is like a new world. :( Well, that is ok. What ever makes you happy really. It is somewhat generational as well.

Yep, puppy behavior. Hahahaha, I can see you telling him about a muzzle. I have been there!! Oh my, wow. I am sorry you had a bad reaction. That is scary. :( I hope you are well soon!!

True. Yeah, sadly but I guess I understand why. He will be ok and it is good he settles with your mom.

Oh, I thought he looked really cool. Adorable. Yes, those serious looks. He does do well. That is great he did well with the lab.

Yes, they seem really nice and they seem like good vets AND are very responsive. That is good to have a relationship like that!! Yeah, it can be gross. :( Yes, jobs can always pay more....................... :/

Yes!!!! Awwwwww, he is. He is gorgeous.

Interesting. Yeah, who knows. Dogs. I am guessing he kinda liked him for some reason.

That is pretty good. I am a little surprised about your expectations. It is good to keep them reasonable. He does seem to listen really well for a pup.

:) That would be cool!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you really can't. Not with cats anyway.

Ash sniffed noses with Si today! I almost got a picture, but of course they moved. Ash came out thinking my mom was feeding them even though she had gotten into the laundry room, not the pantry. Si noticed him and he started running a bit, but I stopped him and he hesitated before approaching slowly. I let him because Ash was actually looking fairly calm. Ash kind of looked like he was going to run for it, but then he stopped and they sniffed each other. Si was surprisingly calm about the whole thing too and actually ended up turning away from Ash. Ash took advantage of that and went back down the hall.

Ember came out today as well. My mom got her to come out right before feeding them snacks. She gave Ember hot dog pieces while I worked with Si and Ember was within a few feet of him. Later she tried to come over to me while I was doing schoolwork, but of course Si started coming over and Ember ran off. I got her though and brought her out with me. She stayed on the table for a few minutes before going back to the hall.

Yeah, he definitely needs to learn some more, but I'm sure he can. He just needs to be a little less obsessive and I think he'd be more receptive to listening to them. I'm just glad he hasn't actually tried getting them to play yet.

Well, it's never fun when something goes wrong. I usually rely on my dad to know what to do with electronics when that happens. I wish I did like cooking. It's fine for about ten minutes and then I'm over it.

I will not miss his biting once he's past that... Most people say to walk away from them or leave the room when they get bitey, but I can't! He gets bitey when he's overexcited and then he's likely to bother Stella or when he's frustrated because I won't let him do something. I'll be alright. I usually react to my shots, but this was a bit worse than normal. I don't think it helps that I had forgotten my allergy pill.

Yeah, there are definitely places I can understand not letting dogs into. Would be nice if they could go more places though.

He's funny to watch when he chases bugs. I was proud of him with the lab.

They are nice and they don't make it feel like there's any sort of hierarchy or anything.

Dogs indeed. It was weird. I was surprised to hear that dog make a sound. He's one I see fairly often too.

Well, long line time (or off-leash time) is meant for them to be able to run and have some free time. They're expected to listen to me when I give a command and should be able to stay with me if I ask for them to, but otherwise it's for them to go run and sniff and do what they want. I don't like them being on a leash constantly and they aren't able to really run. Of course he's still working on the listening part, but that comes with time. The long line means he doesn't have to chance to just totally blow off my command and run away.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO TRUE!!! But I do love Frost.............

WOW!!!!! AMAZING!!!! How cool is that?!?!?!?!?!?! Good job Ash and good job Si!!!

Wow, that is really good. Si doesn;t seem to mean harm so Ember AND Ash will figure it out. I can just see them talking at night. "What do you think of that new guy?". "I don't know, what do you think?". "He seems ok I guess". "we'll see". Hahahahahaha And Forst is like" You two are scaredy cats, he is cool. I have no problem. I even went in his crate!!". Hahahahaha

Yes, he is a puppy. Have to remember that. Excitement takes over a lot. I think he will be just fine.

So true. We don't have anyone to help sadly so it makes it more difficult. Well, it isn't the end of the world. 10 minutes doesn't allow for much. ;)

Agreed. Yes, dogs respond in different ways. Just try different methods to see what works. That is normal why he does it. Common. Good, I am glad you will be ok. It could be. Don't forget it next time. Get well!!

Yes. We are pretty good her about allowing dogs into places but some places aren't. :( Of course, nowadays we can't go anywhere sadly. :(

I thought he looked cool.. YES, that was impressive. He is doing well.

That is really cool. That REALLY helps and makes it better. Pretty rare in the world so enjoy it as much as possible because not all are like that. :(

Yeah, very interesting the change. I wonder why. Love????

Makes sense. Agreed, he is too smart not to in time. You two will work it out just fine I think.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair, he is a very sweet and gentle cat with people. Just not other animals. Him and Si are on the couch almost touching right now.

Yes and, as with Frost, it's like a switch has been flipped. Ash doesn't care so much about him anyway. We came in last night with all three cats out. Frost on the table, Ember on the most accessible chair, and Ash on a chair further back. Didn't even know they were there at first. Si was almost nose-to-nose with Ember before I noticed her there. She hissed and smacked at him a couple of times, but stuck around. We gave them all hot dog as treats. Ash came closer and got further back and came closer... Ember jumped off the chair pretty much right in front of Si and made her way back to the hall, but it wasn't rushed and she stayed near the gate. Earlier today my mom had all of them in the kitchen giving them treats. Ash is still very weary of Si, but if Si holds still then there isn't a problem.

Hahaha! I could see them having that conversation. Frost would want to be the show off too. Like a bunch of kids daring each other to do something ridiculous.

Definitely. Sometimes it is easy to forget how young he is. We have to remind ourselves sometimes. But yes, it seems like things will be fine.

It is harder without any help. I can't rely on my dad so much anymore either since I don't see him. No, ten minutes doesn't allow for much of anything. I do cook though, so I'm getting used to it.

Yes, we are trying to find what works best. Keeping him worn out helps. Trying to work on basic patience-building behaviors as well. He gets frustrated quickly which means he resorts to biting quickly, so hoping building some patience will help with that. Definitely don't want to forget the allergy pill again.

There are more places that allow dogs than I thought, but not many of the places that I'd being going to on a regular basis or anything.

Well, he does well until Stella is in sight anyway. One issue I have is he does not like it when we separate. If she's far enough away then he gets over it, but that's pretty far. He'd probably be Stella's dog if she'd let him.

Indeed. It's been nice. Of course, I'm still cautious around people who I know are technically above me (pretty much everyone), but I've gotten more comfortable with them. My boss can come off as a little intimidating, but I've gotten to know her more and she's really nice.

Yeah, I don't know.

Yep, we'll get there. He's already made some progress, but the park is pretty distracting. Usually you start with all the basic behaviors/training in the house and in your own yard, but we don't have the space for that. We had to jump to going to the park pretty quickly before he had any basic training.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! LOVE the pic!!! Think they love each other?!?!?!?!?

Awww, Frost loves humans. Some do. Some are cat cats. Some are both. Very interesting.

WOW, yep, they are trusting more AND Si is really behaving and helping doing his part. That is faster than I thought. Wow, so cool!!!

Hahaha, EXACTLY!! Too funny

Yes, he is wise beyond his years. Kinda like someone else we know!! ;) Yep, he is going to be just fine.

Yes, it is hard. But anything is doable (for the most part) if you put your mind to it. No, not much in 10 mins. Well that is good!! I think the more you do it and the more you get confidence the more one can like it. Good for you!!

That is great. I think he will get over the impatience. No, that wasn't good. :(

That is good but it always kinda works that way. What we want we don't always get. :/

He gets too excited? Awwwwww, but she wont?

That is good. Well, try to watch and learn from people like that. Don't be intimidated or cautious. Soak up the knowledge. It is a great opportunity to learn. Smart people can be intimidating. But is is good experience and a good opportunity. Listening and observing are very valuable skills in life.

It is interesting, the change in behavior.

I think you can do it. He is still very young. But he will catch on quickly it seems.

I am blown away by the pic. That is so awesome!!! Heart warming!!!