Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes.

Yes. It is interesting you do well in genetics. That is pretty difficult stuff. Impressive. Being able to see things does make it a lot easier.

So true. They really are much smarter than we realize. It is pretty amazing when we actually stop and observe them. I love watching, observing and interacting with animals. I deal with so many ferals and it is so fascinating. Hahahaha, I tell mine that as well!!!

She really is. But Ash......... yes, understandable. They do know or at least the vast majority of them do. Maybe there is a mistake but..................... With that said, they could do A LOT of harm so he still is showing restraint (which is good). Some cats are more brats than others. :/ Yeah, who knows what spooks them but it does happen. Pretty good only once with Frost. That is impressive as well.

Interesting. Maybe you are just more tolerant.

She really has. I know you will get her to be better with the car.

AGREED!!!

Yep. They do love their love!!! Some cats like to give a little love bite to get it moving........................ thank goodness Ember isn't doing that. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all seems pretty simple to me, but I do realize how complicated it is when I try to explain it to someone. It's sort of like the English language. There's all these rules and then there's rules that say you can break the rules. What's really hard is that genetics work different in different species. Like white fur in cats isn't necessarily the same as white fur in dogs, so you can only learn so much about genetics in general. If you get advanced enough then you'd have to learn about specific species.

It is so cool to observe animals, but interacting is definitely my favorite part. It's the main reason I plan on working with domestic animals instead of wild ones. They're definitely smart. They're brains just work in different ways and not just compared to humans. Dogs think different than cats, cat think differently than birds, and so on and so forth.

Ash is definitely aware of his claws. I know he, or any of them, could do an immense amount of damage, but they choose not to. It's something people need to remember though. We like to forget just how strong animals are, even small ones like cats. Ash knows he shouldn't hurt us, but he also knows he can get away with a little. Sometimes he pushes it a bit and sometimes he bites are a little too hard, but overall he does well.

I ordered some calming treats for Stella. It doesn't seem like this is something she's just going to get over. I just hope I don't end up having to medicate her for car rides.

Ember doesn't usually bite, but she has in the past. When she does, it's normally a tiny little bite on the elbow that actually hurts as much if not more than Ash's bites. But that's pretty rare coming from Ember. She does rub her teeth on us a lot though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. That is very interesting on how genes work in species. I didn't know white fur was different. You definitely sound like you like genetics.

I totally agree. I love interacting. Interesting. I would have thought you would have liked to work with either. Dogs really do think differently than cats, etc. I like the differences too.

Again, I totally agree with you. Cats know. And some do push it and if they realize it is unacceptable they learn not to do it. It is really interesting. Knowing what I know about Ash I would have no problem being around him. He would not hurt me at all.

:( I hope they help. Yes, some dogs do have issues that aren't overcome. Though I gt a sense if anyone can get Stella over it it is you. Keep trying.

Is it a "love bite"? Sounds like it. Yeah, I wouldn't fear Ember either. And definitely not Frost either. Your cats are really good cats.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely interesting, but it can get to be difficult to remember what works in what way for which species. I know the most about cat genetics, but even with that I've only brushes the surface.

I would love to work with either. That's why I want a degree in animal behavior which doesn't limit me to one or the other. But you don't usually get to interact with wild animals even if they're being kept in captivity. It would still be cool to do, but it would also be hard for me to be so close to the animals and not really interact with them.

I don't think Ash cares about what's unacceptable.... He's just not mean enough to intentional hurt anyone. No, he wouldn't hurt you. To be honest, he probably wouldn't even bother coming to see you. The only people he goes out of his way to greet are my dad and my brother. Oddly enough, my dad is the one person Ash actually has intentionally hurt and we never really did know why. It became a joke that my dad wore the wrong shoes, but it never happened again.

I hope so too. I just feel pressed on time now. I should have started earlier, but I had given up on getting her in the car for a while. Now I need her to be able to handle it.

Yes, definitely. Usually if you pet her and she starts rubbing on your arm. If there are teeth on your elbow then she's probably getting ready to bite. For some reason it's always been the elbow, but that's probably only happened a handful of times. Definitely no reason to fear Ember. Sometimes her back claws dig into me when she jumps off of me, but other than that she's quite gentle. And Frost overall rather soft-pawed. He's surprised me a few times when he's gotten overly playful and/or overstimulated, but that's rare. He does catch me on the leg sometimes when I play with him and, when he does, he tend to cause the most damage of the three of them, but it's never intentional.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine. It really is interesting. Knowing the most about cat genetics is a good thing!!

Ahhhhhh, yes, that makes a lot of sense. It really would be really hard to be there and not be able to. :(

Hahahaha, hmmmmm, I am not so sure. Ash may just surprise you how much he really cares. He probably just doesn't show it too explicitly. I do agree, he doesn't seem mean at all. Yes, I am sure he wouldn't hurt me. It usually is due to human error why a cat would hurt. I wonder what your dad did? Wrong shoes, too funny!!!

Understandable. But it is never too late. I think you may be surprised at how you can make it better.

Yes, that isn't an issue then. Probably because the elbow is more boney and they want to make it rough so it makes more of an impact on their scent glands etc. Yes, they are normal and good cats. I am not surprised to hear that about them at all.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I certainly think it's interesting. Some may not agree. It is a lot though. You think you've finally made a dent just to realized you aren't even close.

Yes, I like interacting too much. I know it's not always good to, but it's something I struggle with. Even at my work I struggle to not touch every animal that comes in.

Nah. He doesn't care in the slightest. Otherwise he wouldn't jump on the counters right in front of us or scratch the carpet literally just to get our attention. If you try to push him away from where he's scratching, he just flops over like he expects you to pet him. He's a sweet, affectionate cat. He just doesn't give a crap of whether or not we approve of what he's doing. My dad really didn't do anything. It was years ago, so can't say I have a very clear memory of it, but I don't think my dad was even touching him at the time. Ash usually likes to go rub on his shoes (his stain-covered work shoes), roll on them, and chew on the shoe strings. My dad wasn't wearing those shoes that day though. Ash flopped down on them like normal but then suddenly grabbed my dad's ankle and bit him. Ash actually drew blood through my dad's socks, so it wasn't like it could pass as an accident.

Unfortunately, I have my doubts. My best hope is finding something to calm her down whether that's calming treats or actual medication and maybe someday she'll learn she never needed to be so anxious and I can take her off whatever I'm giving her. But I don't see her getting over it without some sort of aid and she may always have to be on something.

They are good cats though they can be brats. Sometimes they seem like a lot of work, but I guess they're worth it.:p

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. It is really interesting. Yes, there is a lot there.

:/ I hear you. Me too. It is hard to find the balance. Always have to think safety first though.

Hahahaha. They do like to do things like that. My oldest girl is exactly like that. Just thinks she can do anything. :/ He does seem really sweet. Could it have been just play with your dad? Doesn't sound aggressive. More of a mistake. Could have been a thread sticking out or something and boom. Yes, they do like to rub on things especially something with other scents, dirt, etc. I am not surprised he loves his shoes. My middle girl LOVES to rub on shoes for some reason.

:( Well, keep trying. If anyone can do it it is you.

Hahahaha, yep. I think in the dictionary cat has a synonym of brat. I think, hmmmmmmmmm. ;) Oh my, they can be a lot of work......................... sighhhhhhhhhhhhh like my day today but I agree, they are worth it!!! Just sometimes I question too............................... But then I get over it. Hahahahahaha

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did get to pet an adorable corgi puppy and a fluffy Pomeranian puppy and a golden retriever at work the other day. I don't normally get to pet very many animals. But yes, have to be careful and that's the only reason I lean more towards working with domestic animals over wild animals.

Ash really doesn't seem to get the concept of "not supposed to do that" even if you try to make it unpleasant for him. He is sweet. I honestly have no clue what happened with my dad. I think we've pretty much covered that Ash is very aware of his claws and teeth. For him to have done that much damage through fairly thick socks... Well, it's hard to say it was an accident. Didn't really seem aggressive either, but it's hard to say especially since so much time has passed. He's definitely obsessed with different smells. He went through a phase of being obsessed with my deodorant. Shampoo, dirt, stain... It's a large assortment of smells that catches his attention.

They certainly can be a lot of work. Sometimes it makes you wonder why we like them so much! Sometimes I think of how much easier my life would be without them... But then I can't really imagine my life without cats. So I guess I'd better get over it as well.

For some reason, Ash's fur seems somehow even thicker than it was before. It's so dense it's nearly impossible to brush properly. If you get your fingers in deep enough then it honestly feels like his entire undercoat is trying to matt. He's been getting knots easier than before. Normally he'd mostly just get loose knots on the surface of his ruff, but now they're forming deep down. He used to get knots fairly badly behind his back legs, but that doesn't seem to happen so much more. Now it's his neck, chest, and by his front legs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooooooooooooooo, cool. THAT sounds like a great day!!!! Your reasoning makes sense. Wild animals can be unpredictable. BUT if possible I would have loved to have been able to do something with wild animals.

OH I know. Cats can be like that. Just like my girl. I think they are so confident that we will not be negative that they just keep trying. Well, a cat attack is pretty unique. When it is serious it is pretty intense. I didn't get a sense Ash's encounter was like that. Yes, mistakes can be deep bites. Serious attacks are almost if not always deep bites. It is nuanced but usually if it was serious it would be pretty visible . Oh Yes, some cats LOVE different scents. They are something.

Hahahaha. Well, for me it is the pure love they have. If anyone can love me like they do they are ok in my book!!! :) Yes, easier but more boring and more hollow or shallow. Life without cats would be pretty hard for me even if I still had dogs. :( Hahahaha, well, just enjoy them and that helps "getting over it". :)

:( Poor Ash. Yes, I knew he got issues on his legs before. Interesting that is not where his current issues are. Hmmmm, it happens. Yes, it is hard when it is hard or impossible to brush. I would do a post and see what people think and how to solve it. Sometimes it can happen, I have seen it before where it changes and mats and knots easier. :( Poor guy, I wish I had a helpful answer. My one cat is a little older than Ash and he has been having more issues lately but I have been able to keep them at bay. At least for now. :/

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you get your fingers in deep enough then it honestly feels like his entire undercoat is trying to matt.
You might consider having him shaved. It should help for quite a while, but certainly for a good bit of time depending on how fast it grows back. I loved being able to have Poppycat shaved by his old vet,--we just did his belly and chest plus a hygiene trim. Then we changed vets and these current ones won't do it while he's awake, so I bought a clippers/trimmer. I'll also very very carefully utilize scissors at times.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard this and thought you would find it interesting.

In Germany dogs were trained in a week to find Covid in people. They were trained to identify people with Covid and had a 94% success rate. Pretty amazing!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider having him shaved. It should help for quite a while, but certainly for a good bit of time depending on how fast it grows back. I loved being able to have Poppycat shaved by his old vet,--we just did his belly and chest plus a hygiene trim. Then we changed vets and these current ones won't do it while he's awake, so I bought a clippers/trimmer. I'll also very very carefully utilize scissors at times.
I think we got it under control, but I was definitely starting to think we'd have to get him shaved. I don't think it could be done while he's awake though. He'd likely have to be sedated. Even with Gabapentin, we had a tough time. Needed at least two more hands. I don't know who would do it anyway. I don't think my current vet grooms. My previous one used to, but I think they stopped.

I just heard this and thought you would find it interesting.

In Germany dogs were trained in a week to find Covid in people. They were trained to identify people with Covid and had a 94% success rate. Pretty amazing!!
That is amazing. Dogs are impressive, that's for sure. I do have to wonder what the chances of the dogs getting it is though.

Ooooooooooooooooo, cool. THAT sounds like a great day!!!! Your reasoning makes sense. Wild animals can be unpredictable. BUT if possible I would have loved to have been able to do something with wild animals.

OH I know. Cats can be like that. Just like my girl. I think they are so confident that we will not be negative that they just keep trying. Well, a cat attack is pretty unique. When it is serious it is pretty intense. I didn't get a sense Ash's encounter was like that. Yes, mistakes can be deep bites. Serious attacks are almost if not always deep bites. It is nuanced but usually if it was serious it would be pretty visible . Oh Yes, some cats LOVE different scents. They are something.

Hahahaha. Well, for me it is the pure love they have. If anyone can love me like they do they are ok in my book!!! :) Yes, easier but more boring and more hollow or shallow. Life without cats would be pretty hard for me even if I still had dogs. :( Hahahaha, well, just enjoy them and that helps "getting over it". :)

:( Poor Ash. Yes, I knew he got issues on his legs before. Interesting that is not where his current issues are. Hmmmm, it happens. Yes, it is hard when it is hard or impossible to brush. I would do a post and see what people think and how to solve it. Sometimes it can happen, I have seen it before where it changes and mats and knots easier. :( Poor guy, I wish I had a helpful answer. My one cat is a little older than Ash and he has been having more issues lately but I have been able to keep them at bay. At least for now. :/
It would be cool to work with wild animals. I certainly wouldn't mind doing it, but probably not as a long-term job. Maybe I could do some volunteer work.

The only thing that worked on Ash was when there was double sided tape on a carpet runner and the tape got stuck to him. He ended up dragging the carpet runner from the kitchen into the living room and he stayed off the stove for probably close to a week. But just the stove. He still got on the counters. :rolleyes: And obviously it didn't last that long. I really couldn't tell you what went on in his mind when he did that to my dad, but it was pretty bad. I mean, he knows well enough not to draw blood from bare skin. For him to draw blood as easily as he did through a sock... That's a pretty big mistake coming from a cat who is so aware of his claws. But it never happened again and he was perfectly fine immediately after. Like something just snapped for a split second and then he was over it. It was weird.

I've considered not having cats for a time. Maybe I will go a year or two without them sometime, but it's hard for me to think of not having them. I don't think I could go more than a year or two though!

Well, he ended up being even worse than I thought. I tried feeling his whole stomach and only felt knots higher up on his chest, but after another check I actually found some pretty big ones lower down. I don't know how I missed those. We ended up giving him Gabapentin and my mom cut some of the fur down so we could get to them easier. He wasn't exactly happy about the process. His fur is ridiculously thick. Even with a brush, you can go right over the knots and not even know they're there. You have to dig for them. Maybe I just won't have long-haired cats. :ohwell: That would make things quite a bit easier.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the dogs aren't that at risk. Fingers crossed. And if they would get it it wouldn't be anything........................ :/ AND they wouldn't pass it to humans.....................

Yes, working with wild animals is not for everyone. I would guess it is easy to get complacent which increases the risks as well.

I know. :( They figure out where the tape is. :( Interesting. The fact he was normal after tells me it was a mistake. My guess is he didn't think there was human beyond the sock. I am glad that all has been well after it and that also tells me it wasn't something more serious.

Oh wow. I didn't expect that. I would guess you could never last a year without cats. Probably not even a month. :/ But I know what you mean, sometimes it does get overwhelming.

:( Poor Ash. Yes, that can happen. Sounds like you and your mom handled him really well and he was well behaved. That is pretty impressive. Yes, long haired cats can require a lot of care. It is hard. But they are so darn cute!!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope not. It would suck if dogs could be used to detect Covid, but then they were constantly getting sick!

Yeah, it would be cool to work with the wild animals, but I think more as volunteer work or something. Not so much my day-to-day job.

It was an odd situation. Fortunately, my dad doesn't hold grudges and doesn't scare easily. Ash likes to bite him, but not aggressively. Usually because he rubs on my dad and my dad ends up scratching at the base of his tail. Ash bites when you pet him there.

Probably not. I'm not sure I can wait out these cats to get more. But really, I consider it mostly because I would like to travel and having animals makes that difficult. I don't think I could ever not have any animals, but maybe if I just had a couple of rats. My mom could quite easily take care of them. But I don't see it happening.

I guess if you consider squirming, kicking, twisting, grabbing, and yowling "well-behaved," then yes, he was. We do have to keep in mind that this is a cat that will bite and he doesn't have a good bite inhibition when he's on Gabapentin. We're lucky he doesn't want to hurt us, but we still have to be careful with him. They are cute. And I really want a Maine coon. :ohwell: But Ash makes me think it might not be worth it! He's been having hairballs more days than not and then these knots...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Agreed.

I can definitely understand that.

Yes, it happens. Yes, it is good your dad doesn't hold grudges, that actually helps since cats sense human emotions really well. Ash doesn't feel "worried" about your dad. That is good. Yep, if a cat gets their nerves worked up (like at the base of the tail) then that can and does happen.....................

;) It is hard. I have had to be away a few times and I miss them dearly very shortly. It is hard. It is easier to see kids leave than pets................ Yes, travelling is hard when you have pets, etc. :( Your mom is good with animals though so that helps A LOT. As a potential option.

Hahahaha, in some cases I actually do!!! But yes, you do have to be careful. Even with cats that aren't known biters. I always try to remember to be careful at all times. Usually when a person relaxes that is when something happens. :/ I always think if I achieved what i wanted without being hurt it is a success.

I know. It is a lot of work. I love Maine coons but rarely interact with them since I tend to deal with ferals and luckily they are not out there much. But even short hair cats have hair ball issues at times. It is hard.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is actually one of the only people Ash will come out to greet. Him and my brother. The two people who don't care about cats. Otherwise he doesn't really seem to care one way or another if someone else is in the else. Ash has always been a biter when it comes to the base of his tail. He makes it kind of hard to not pet him there though since he rubs and moves a lot.

My mom wouldn't ever do more than the basics though. I couldn't tell you how many times I went to my dad's for the weekend and came home just to find she'd forgotten to brush them and/or clean out litter boxes. And she can't seem to get their dinner right. I've come home at 8p.m. and none of them had been fed yet because she didn't want to deal with it. They were normally fed at 7 though I've since changed it to 8 to make things easier. Leaving them with her for a day, maybe two, isn't a big deal. But for much more than that? Not likely.

There's no relaxing while trying to hold Ash down, that's for sure. It's amazing what they can get out of. He squirms and twists, and then we're worried he's going to hurt himself. I'm honestly a bit surprised we managed at all. We've had to take him to the vet before to get groomed because of knots he wouldn't let us get out. We thought they'd sedate him. They didn't. They had to have five people to get the job done. :doh:

I've never gotten to interact with a Maine coon, but they just seem like lovely cats. I've wanted a Maine coon for years and if I get purebred cat, that's what I'll get. I do think the type/texture of the fur plays a part in the hairball issues. When I was a little kid, I had a cat (a blue color point) named Snowball. He had a short, but dense coat. Very plush and thick. He had hairballs all the time. Of my three now, Ash is the only one with a real issue. Frost has a hairball on occasion and it does seem a bit more frequent now, but it's not often. His fur is just as long as Ash's, but it's a smoother, silkier coat. He doesn't tend to knot as easily either.