Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so.

Makes total sense. Agree.

Really amazing. Good job!!

:( Agreed. Hopefully the instinct would help if it would happen. but it is sad.

Interesting. I hope breeders are doing it ethically. :/

:( So true. I suspect going off nature probably has something is do with it as well. :/

Hahahaha, too funny!! The Brando of cats!! Yeah, probably not a coincidence. They are something.

Yep. not surprised by Ember. At least she didn't grab something like other cats I know. ;) Yeah, growling wouldn't help. Hahahahaha. They own us!!! AND KNOW it!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting to think how genetics have such a huge impact on us and other species, and yet they can still be influenced by outside sources.

Rats are still much closer to their wild ancestors and have those instincts intact. I could definitely see a rat of the right color being able to survive for a time, but I'm not sure it would be much of a life without a family unit.

Well, as with cats and dogs, there are good breeders and there are bad breeders. I think they can get away with a bit more since rats require less time and care. They have requirements to meet, but they're small and more reliant on contact with other rats than with humans. But there's definitely still variations is quality of breeders.

It is sad because we want our animals to live as long as they can, but then health issues start popping up. It's that way with all species though.

They are definitely something. Lol. How he acts so casual is what gets me. I didn't know a cat could act like that.

Oh, she made a move for my food a couple of times. A light touch on her nose causes her to jerk back like you shocked her though. She does have some respect for my boundaries though. Not so much my mom's. Lol.

I feel terrible because there have been fireworks every night for the last few nights and they terrify Ember. I hate seeing her so stressed. Neither of the boys are fazed, but she's on edge the entire time. And they already started some stuff today.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO true!! It is pretty amazing. Listening to voices, seeing certain traits, etc. Really fascinating.

Interesting. I never thought about the color. Amazing they are so close to a family. So social.

:(

:( SO TRUE!! :( I wish they could live longer.

Hahaha, yep. I have one like that so I know they sure can. I am not surprised at all. :/

Hahaha, again not surprising. Yes, they will lurch back. Interesting she doesn't with your mom. She is a softie it seems.

:( I KNOW. It is horrible. Mine are ok with them but in the past I have had dogs that had serious issues with it. And this year is horrible with people doing it rather than cities. :( My ferals had a rough time. it is really sad for the animals. :( Hopefully it is over for a year now!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they terrify Ember.
Use a fan for white noise with the breeze directed away from her, get a sound machine for next time, get a calming product (my boy is doing surprisingly well with Just Relax from Only Natural Pet, that is sprayed on cushions or a carrier or in his case on a washcloth that's placed close to him), and if you don't have time to get a retail product, use chamomile tea -
from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Buy a box of plain chamomile tea bags, brew a cup. Chill it in the fridge, and give 3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day via syringe or medicine dropper. Be sure to use the commercial tea bags, as they are pure German chamomile. English chamomile is pretty useless medicinally, and is TOXIC to cats.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use a fan for white noise with the breeze directed away from her, get a sound machine for next time, get a calming product (my boy is doing surprisingly well with Just Relax from Only Natural Pet, that is sprayed on cushions or a carrier or in his case on a washcloth that's placed close to him), and if you don't have time to get a retail product, use chamomile tea -
from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Buy a box of plain chamomile tea bags, brew a cup. Chill it in the fridge, and give 3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day via syringe or medicine dropper. Be sure to use the commercial tea bags, as they are pure German chamomile. English chamomile is pretty useless medicinally, and is TOXIC to cats.
We usually have the TV on in the living room and the stereo playing in the hall right outside my bedroom, but she insists on being in the dining room where the noise tends to be the worst. I've tried probably a dozen different sprays and treats with rather little success though I can look for the one you mentioned. I might have to try the chamomile tea sometime.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO true!! It is pretty amazing. Listening to voices, seeing certain traits, etc. Really fascinating.

Interesting. I never thought about the color. Amazing they are so close to a family. So social.

:(

:( SO TRUE!! :( I wish they could live longer.

Hahaha, yep. I have one like that so I know they sure can. I am not surprised at all. :/

Hahaha, again not surprising. Yes, they will lurch back. Interesting she doesn't with your mom. She is a softie it seems.

:( I KNOW. It is horrible. Mine are ok with them but in the past I have had dogs that had serious issues with it. And this year is horrible with people doing it rather than cities. :( My ferals had a rough time. it is really sad for the animals. :( Hopefully it is over for a year now!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh

It is. Genetics are weird and interesting.

Well, there's a reason animals have the color they have. Squirrels and rabbits have an agouti color (ticked tabby in cats) and brown rats are the same. We don't usually breed fancy rats with that color (maybe because they look too much like wild rats), so they'd be at a distinct disadvantage. They are extremely social animals.

I do as well, but then there's all the health issues that come with living longer... Nothing can ever just be simple.

These animals have taught me a lot. Stella taught me that dogs could stall. Frost taught me that cats are good actors.

My mom is quicker to feed them and hasn't reinforced any boundaries. If I feed them, then it's when they're behaving and an appropriate distance from my food. I don't feed her when she's tapping my hand, grabbing my fork, or headbutting my arm. Though my mom complains about Ember biting her when she grabs food quite a bit and I'm not sure how that happens. Ember is always so careful not to get my fingers.

I'm lucky that Stella isn't bothered by them. I don't have to worry about what she might do when I let her outside. The boys are fine too. We had new neighbors move in across the street maybe a couple of years ago and they are, unfortunately, ones who shoot off their own fireworks. We've never had fireworks right outside our house like this before them. And it seems like people got their hands on some pretty big ones this year. Ember always runs down the hall growling and then comes back and lingers in the dining room, looking for the threat. Unfortunately, there's still New Year's to worry about. ☹

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. Pretty amazing things!!

Makes sense. Amazing how nature figures things out.

:( So true. I wish the world could be more perfect. :( But if we keep improving maybe things will get better.

Animals really can teach us a lot about things and ourselves. Especially true love and selflessness among so many other things. What did Stella teach you? Yes, cats can act!!! Hahahaha. But so can dogs!!! ;)

Yes, I kinda figured your mom is like that. :) That isn't a bad thing. She loves them. I am surprised Ember isn't more careful since your mom tends to give in more. Maybe she is just too excited. Or maybe how your mom holds the food? Usually the cat can tell the finger from the food and not go too deep. My one outside feral tens to get me sometimes but stops before breaking skin. Pretty smart cat.

Yes, it is great Stella is not bothered. Usually little dogs have more issues with them. Poor Ember. Yes, they did get their hands on big ones this year. :( Not good. Yes, New Year's........................... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I have an inquiry as to how to get my cats to play. I have three in total: two males of six years and a female of three years. I would not usually have cats of such an age difference but the female was kind of an accident. A very happy one, I assure you, but we do have our problems. Her father was feral and I do believe this has an affect on her personality. Not that she's necessarily mean or a bad cat, but she is skittish.

So to begin with, I will admit I slacked off on play for a while. It somehow left my routine and, once a habit is broken, it's hard to remake. However, I wanted to make up for it. The only problem is that the cats don't make it easy. To boys are rather lazy and I can't figure out how to get them to move for more than a couple of minutes. Frost is more than happy to play if you dangle it over his head so he can bat at it while laying on his back. Ash was more willing to play, but it's faded away and I can't keep his interest anymore. I'm not as worried about them though because they do play together and neither are overweight, but I know they need some stimulation too. So my first inquiry is how can I get lazy cats to get off their butts (or backs as the case may be) and play?

The second issue is the female, Ember. She's willing to play with me, but she's often nervous about any noises or anything. I don't have very many places to separate them from though I haven't had a problem with the boys playing together. With Ember, I've tried playing with her in the living room and my bedroom. She used to be okay with playing in the living room, but there's been a bit of tension between her and Ash and she no longer feels comfortable there. I tried playing with her in my room with the door shut, but Frost will scratch at the door and then she goes running over there with her tail lashing. So my second question is what can I do for her? She's such a nervous little cat though she's very friendly. Of all the cats I've had in my life, she's the first to really bond with me and I feel bad because she isn't really one of the group. The boys have accepted her into the household, but they're not exactly close. Sometimes Frost with play with her and Ash will let her lay next to him, but not much else. I'm also so happy when I see one of them groom her or something that shows both her and me that she has, indeed, been accepted. But they still don't play with her a whole lot and she is more of a people cat so I feel obligated to be the companion she needs.
a small rc car with a toy tied to the end of it works great but your dog will chase it to.they will be scared at first but cant help but follow it. around.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a small rc car with a toy tied to the end of it works great but your dog will chase it to.they will be scared at first but cant help but follow it. around.
It would terrify my dog, actually. She's a coward and only plays with toys she's sure are hers. Unfortunately, it would probably terrify Ember as well. She's a skittish cat. I could see the boys being interested in it at first, but they'd likely get bored with it pretty quickly. They're difficult cats.

I think I have seen them in the past, but always good to reread and try other ideas that I might not have tried before.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. Pretty amazing things!!

Makes sense. Amazing how nature figures things out.

:( So true. I wish the world could be more perfect. :( But if we keep improving maybe things will get better.

Animals really can teach us a lot about things and ourselves. Especially true love and selflessness among so many other things. What did Stella teach you? Yes, cats can act!!! Hahahaha. But so can dogs!!! ;)

Yes, I kinda figured your mom is like that. :) That isn't a bad thing. She loves them. I am surprised Ember isn't more careful since your mom tends to give in more. Maybe she is just too excited. Or maybe how your mom holds the food? Usually the cat can tell the finger from the food and not go too deep. My one outside feral tens to get me sometimes but stops before breaking skin. Pretty smart cat.

Yes, it is great Stella is not bothered. Usually little dogs have more issues with them. Poor Ember. Yes, they did get their hands on big ones this year. :( Not good. Yes, New Year's........................... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(
We did an activity in my biology class that showed how camouflage works. Basically, we had a cloth on the table and threw a bunch of colored circles on the cloth. We'd look away, count, and then grab the first circle we saw. Afterwards, we'd count how many of each color were left and we'd add three of the same color for each one left, representing the offspring. Obviously, it's not perfect, but it shows how and why some colors appear frequently and others not all. For each round we did, black and brown had the highest survival rates. White was completely gone every time. And since they didn't survive to breed, there weren't any white offspring.

Well, we can hope things will improve.

Yes, they can certainly teach us a lot. Stella taught me dogs are able of stalling or intentionally putting something off. Like when I tell her to go ring the bell and she gets a drink instead. Or I try to get her to bring the toy boy and she starts sniffing the floor like there's suddenly a very interesting smell there. I didn't know a dog would think to put off doing something by pretending to need to do something else, but she's very good at it. I wouldn't usually say Stella is an actress, but sometimes I do wonder if she doesn't look pathetic intentionally. I've seen her go up to someone, lean against them and look up at them with her ears down and looking all sad. They, of course, started petting her and I swear that dog looked over at me with her ears up like, "Look at this sucker." Then she looked back up at them with ears down again. :lol:

Ember does get excited over food. She's scraped my fingers a few times, but she's never bitten me hard enough for me to act like my mom does! She's only actually bitten me once when I had a piece of a chicken jerky treat that I was going to give the dog. She accomplished her goal because she got the treat, but it really didn't hurt at all. I only let go because I was so surprised she actually put her teeth on me and I hadn't even known she was there. But my mom usually gives them bigger pieces than I do, so it's not surprising I feel a bit of tooth here and there. It's more amazing that Ember grabs it so fast while still not actually biting me. I'm not sure what happens when my mom feeds them.

Stella was more bothered by the fact that there were so many people outside that she couldn't go say hi to. They were putting fireworks out in the middle of the road which is a bit ridiculous since people can't just drive down the road. Not that we have many people driving down the road, but still. It was scary having fireworks right there though. I mean, some of them were pretty much right above our house.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
VERY interesting!!

Yes. With better food, better medicine and vets it theoretically should. Fingers crossed.

Ahhhhh, now I get it. Hahahaha, yes they can. I had one that was terrible like Stella. Would try to find any "excuse" not to do what she should. It really is amazing. And yes, dogs are VERY good actors. I am not at all surprised by Stella. They know how to get love or food etc and use emotions to do it all the time. They are VERY good at it. Even cats are. My one girl is the so good. She will act like she is so unfairly treated, then she gets her treats and grooms and goes to bed all happy. Hahahahaha, they ARE something!!! Stella is smart!!!

Yes, that is normal. Yes, they can startle us. And they are "stealthy" in coming up (like it is prey). Usually they are pretty good at not getting too deep into fingers. I do wonder what your mom does since the pieces are bigger. Hmmmmmmm

Hahahahaha, Stella is SO FUNNY!!! A social butterfly!! Wow, well, I guess they were trying to be safe but I know what you mean. Yes, not good that it goes over houses. :( I wish people could celebrate in other ways. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The genetics part of biology was my favorite. Everyone else struggled with it. Lol.

Yes, it definitely helps to have good vet care and the like.

I always knew dogs were smart. I just didn't think they'd actually make plans. I mean, Stella could just not do what I tell her to do, but for her to actually chose to do something else instead so that she doesn't have to do it? At first I thought it was a coincidence, but it's happened far too often to just be that. Stella has her ears down a lot and tends to act like she thinks you're going to hit her or something. She's never once flinched away from my hand or anything, but the look she has on her face is just about the most pathetic look there is. She can get you to feel bad for her even when absolutely nothing bad happened to her.

I've never had much of an issue with Ember's claws or teeth. She's very gentle. Just last night she accidently grabbed my arm instead of the mouse while I was playing with her, but I just felt a tiny pinprick of claws. Considering she'd been in mid-jump and how she hooks her claws into the toy, I was impressed I felt so little of them. I don't know what happens when she takes food from my mom.

She is indeed. Stella loves everyone who isn't a dog and even some dogs she loves. It would be nice if people could find other ways of celebrating. Nothing good comes from fireworks other than their own entertainment and pleasure.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see why!! Seems really interesting and cool. Yes, I can understand why people would struggle with it, it is a bit difficult to get your "hands" around it. It is a bit difficult to picture it seems.

Totally. It is really hard to be a vet since the animals can't communicate. But they keep trying and improving.

It is really interesting. There is more thought there than we would think. I agree with you, I think it is a conscious effort. I have seen it a fair amount as well. Oh, I know. They are VERY good at acting so unfairly treated when there is no basis I think because they know they benefit from it (more attention, more food, etc). It is really amazing. I think I know the exact look you are talking about. My girl cat has that look and she sure gets benefits from it...............

Yes, most cats are really careful. I have no idea how they know when it is human rather than toy or food. I feed outside ferals by hand all the time (I know I shouldn't and no one should). Except for kittens who don't always have that sense every feral I have fed knew when it was my hand, etc and when it isn't. It is really amazing. I am not at all surprised with Ember. Though I would say cats are usually better with teeth than claws. BUT if a cat would swat they do watch their claws (based on my feral experiences). They make a conscious decision to hold back their claws. Now if a cat gets scared and wants to jump off a lap then some claw issues could happen. It is actually really fascinating. I deal with a lot of cats and it is so consistent it is really amazing.

Yes, I don't know what your mom's situation is. Maybe she thinks it is worse then it really is? I can't figure out why Ember would be different. Ember loves her too.

She really is. She does seem that way AND she is getting much better with other dogs. She has a really good heart.

So true. A total waste of money is my opinion. Almost literally burning money!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never got a notification that you'd replied. Hmm.... :headscratch:

To be honest, I never fully understood why it was so difficult for some people. I still don't. I mean, no judgement or anything. There have been things I didn't get that other people took to without issue, so I understand on that level. I just don't know why it's so difficult for many people and not me. It can be hard to explain with words alone, but using visuals and examples makes it a lot easier (to me).

Indeed. I feel like it would be especially difficult since every animal is so different. A vet has to rely on the owner's description of how the animal usually is and make an assessment based on that and what he/she knows about that species and the species' medical issues. All without the help of the animal. It would be hard.

Definitely. They think further ahead then we tend to think they do. Maybe they aren't planning for their retirements are anything like that, but they're definitely able to think far enough ahead to form some sort of plan of how to get something/do something/avoid something. Honestly, I'm not sure where Stella learned the sad-dog look. I don't think most people pet her because of the sad look. They'd usually pet her either way. But she sure picked it up somewhere. I can't say any of my cats act like that, but Ember definitely knows she's adorable and she knows how to use that. That probably works on me better than the sad eyes. I'm always slightly annoyed when Stella looks at me pathetically like that because it makes me feel bad when I didn't do anything!

It is impressive how careful they are, how they seem to intuitively know, and how quickly they can react. Just last night I was playing with Ember. I flung the toy up and she leapt for it. She swung around and landed directed on my leg. It was a surprisingly graceful landing for a relatively ungraceful cat who expected to land on the flat floor, but even more surprising was that I didn't feel a single claw. I realized she was going to land on me a second before she did and I fully expected claws because I know she uses them a lot when she plays and I also knew it wouldn't be an easy landing for her. I figured she'd use her claws for balance. But there was nothing. I am fully convinced they are very aware of how much claws they're using. Ash has proven that to me. Of the three of them, he's the only one who's willing to even use claws on a human, but he knows how much he can push it. There's just enough to cause a few pinpricks, but never enough to do any damage unless he's playing and he bunny kicks you, but even then it's the teeth that are the real problem. The only time any of these cats have actually really hurt me was when Frost was on my lap and suddenly freaked out. Still don't know what caused it. He just took off and I somehow had scratches on my chest and shoulder as well as my stomach and legs.

I don't know either. Sometimes I do think she's being a bit over dramatic. She complains about when Ember rubs her teeth on her too. Ember does that to me as well and it's not comfortable, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it hurts.

Stella is better with them. Still not a fan, but less likely to bite at least. She's a good dog. She'd probably be too perfect if she'd had the right training and socialization as a puppy. All of my issues with her are completely avoidable, but much difficult to fix at this point in her life.

Indeed. I've never been a huge fan of fireworks even as a kid. I'd say I was neutral. That changed when I got Ember and saw how scared she was and it really changed when I became aware of just how much bad they do. It's a complete waste.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that trouble all the time lately. :( It is easy on this thread but on others I forget who I am helping and don't recognize the titles. :(

Well, our brains are segmented a bit. And some of us part of the brain is more robust while others have other parts of the brain that is more robust. Some can visualize better, some need to see it, some are better at math, some are better at language and on and on. It is pretty interesting. I think the key is to find your strengths and build on those and find the weaknesses and improve those. You are definitely well above on intelligence so I am not surprised you get something more complex, more esoteric or cryptic that requires more thought, interpretation, visualization, connecting of the dots. It is interesting to see how different people respond to different things.

Absolutely. With humans it is difficult so with animals it is exponentially more difficult. :(

It is amazing. It could be a survival instinct. Having to think ahead to make sure they can get to the next point. I don't know. Stella figures it out somewhere. Or maybe she tried things and saw what worked? She is smart. Interesting the cats do do that. Only one of mine does really though one other has some good expressions at times. Yes, Ember I am sure does know how to use her adorableness. Oh I know, it is like "what do you want"? I do feel badly as well when they give that look. Then we try to find what they want. But we can;t be too hard on ourselves.

It really is. THAT is amazing with Ember!! Really impressive. They are so much more aware than humans think.Yes, Ash has a little more tolerance of using them but still knows the line. Yes, Frost didn't mean it, something just caused him to move fast. It happens. That has happened to me several times. Your cats are really, really good. I am impressed!!

Oh probably. Some of us are a little at times..... ;) Sometimes we interpret and tolerate things a bit differently or our skin is more tender or susceptible.

She really is. Well, you have got her to come a long way. She is pretty perfect. Good job!!

:( Me too. Not interesting to me. And combine that with the impact on animals and it is a total negative in my opinion. Even a few times a year is way too much in my opinion. :(

My girl is giving me that look now. :/ She needs love now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ember definitely knows she's adorable and she knows how to use that.
So does Poppycat, although the word adorable would offend his male sensibilities lol. I've also asked him multiple times about the sad Bassett hound look he's developed these past few years when he thinks it's past time for treats ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So does Poppycat, although the word adorable would offend his male sensibilities lol. I've also asked him multiple times about the sad Bassett hound look he's developed these past few years when he thinks it's past time for treats ;)
Lol. Poor Frost is used to such feminine terms. He's my pretty boy. I would describe with other terms, but there's really nothing else that fits. He's just too pretty.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that would get frustrating.

Yes, I definitely understand that different people have different strengths. We all think of things differently. There have been things that the rest of the class seemed to get easily and I struggled with, and things that I got easily while everyone else struggled with. Genetics seems to be something a lot of people struggle to understand, but it seems fairly simple to me. It's definitely easier to have a visual representation of what's going on though.

I'd say most things come from the need to survive. Animals with the ability to think ahead probably survived longer thus passing on those genes. It's interesting to see what animals are really like compared to what we tend to think they're like though. They're so much smarter than we give them credit for. Stella doesn't fool me with the sad eyes so much anymore. I tell her to quit looking at me like that. :rolleyes: I prefer it when her ears are up and she looks happy rather than like she's abused.

Ember is so impressive. Sometimes she catches me with a little bit of claws, but it's not intentional and the only time it hurts is when I need to cut them. She doesn't seem to know the difference between short claws and long claws. Honestly, I was a bit irked when I realized just how aware Ash is of his claws. Can't say he pricks you by accident because I'm pretty confident it's intentional. And I know from the other two that he could tuck them away completely! Yes, Frost did what he did completely by accident. Something really spooked him. The only thing we could figure out is maybe he saw the wooden wolf statue that had been in the living room to be finished and it spooked him, but it had been sitting there for a while. Not like it was new or had somehow moved by itself. They are really good.

Usually I'd say I have the more sensitive skin, but I guess I'm a bit more used to teeth. I have, admittedly, roughhoused with Ash and Ember has been rubbing her teeth on me longer than she has my mom.

She has come a long way. Now I just need her to be okay for car rides.

I'd say it's interesting that we can do such a thing, but that doesn't mean we should. Definitely more harm than good.

Ember had been harassing me earlier, but she just headbutts my hands and rubs against my laptop...