Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, what a good girl!!! She is really good!! I am really impressed!!

Yeah, but who knows? I think we think something but it really just depends. I actually tend to gravitate toward black dogs and I love my black cats. SO if I came in you would be like "why is this person doing this??". Hahahahahaha. But I like the energetic ones THOUGH sometimes the dogs that aren't I feel like they need a little more love. My point is, I think it just depends. On who comes in that day.

Yeah, I can understand that. But I have a feeling you might just change your mind down the road.................... ;) I know you too well.

Wow, a big fluffy pup. Cool!!! But yeah, Stella may not agree, maybe it is for the best.

Hmmmmmm, yeah. I hope it isn't something medical.

That is good. Yeah, I can see that. That is too bad since it really isn't her fault. But understandable. Cookie was more aloof it sounds.

That makes sense. Sounds like it would be hard to figure out. And not to stress them in the wild.

Cool, I will check them out.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is. Zena is a pretty easy pup all things considered. Not as easy as Lamont, but easier than Leon and a lot easier than Zara. She'll be a good dog for just about anyone who has a little patience. Probably not a dog to let run off leash or get into obedience with, but most people aren't looking to do that anyway.

I always find it weird to hear black dogs (and black cats) get adopted last and yet it seems like anyone I've ever talked to has said they prefer black dogs/cats. I prefer them as well and so does my mom. I am not drawn to the energetic ones though. I tend to gravitate towards the ones in the background that are quiet. We were hoping to get some meets set up today because it's the only day I don't work, but we haven't heard anything. I need at least one less puppy!

But I want a fluffy puppy... Not that we don't have enough fur in this house. Stella is getting better though. She's getting more playful with these two. It's funny comparing them because the pups are around the same size as her, but their proportions are so different. They have much bigger, broader muzzles and their feet are giant compared to Stella's.

I hope not. She seems okay and we are having fewer accidents, but they still happen. Apparently Zara had one while I was at work last night.

Yes. I'm not sure that she really cared to be center of attention, but it seemed a little unfair even if it was really more unfair for Candy who had to put up with all the attention. Neither of them were particularly interested in people, honestly. They were friendly and didn't mind being picked up, but they were always on the go. Female rats are known for being more playful and energetic. Males tend to be calmer and snugglier. My two sure fit the description for females. They never held still while they were out of the cage. People were good for climbing on, but not much else.

Yep. Even if you found them, then you'd also have to worry about how your presence might affect their behaviors. Getting an idea of what they do in the wild, without human intervention or even human presence, is nearly impossible.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome. What makes Zara such a handful?

I know. But that is what the statistics say. Hahahaha, I know. I have never met anyone that said they don't want a black cat or dog. :/ Maybe it is because we tend to be around animal lovers rather than "just" people? I am kinda surprised you don't like the energetic ones. I could see you liking the challenge.

:( I wonder why no meets? Maybe just bad timing. They will get adopted. Hahaha, it is exhausting but you can ahndle it and I know you will miss them when they are gone. ;)

Hahahaha. YES!! ME TOO!!! That is pretty good she is adjusting so well. I could see where they might be a bit intimidating. They are going to be pretty big dogs. They really are adorable and if Stella gets along with them they must seem pretty sweet too. They sure look like it.

I hope not either. That is good it is fewer. I wonder what it is. I know she is getting good training and she seems smart. :/

VERY interesting!!! I did not know that. Too funny. They should like they had a lot of character.

Wow. That is too bad. Would be interesting to know. Hopefully they can have their environments intact for a long time. It is sad to see people encroaching on their habitat. :( Would be nice if they can enjoy life the way it is meant to be.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, sorry for not being on. I have top go to work earlier now and haven't been on my laptop. I'm on my phone right now, but I wanted to let you know that the pups have meets tomorrow morning so my next update will include whether or not they've been adopted!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ok, I figured you were busy.

Oh my, let us know how the meets go. I have a feeling you may be missing them fairly soon.............................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're gone! :yess: :bawling: My babies are gone. We've started packing up all the foster stuff... It's so empty without a giant play pen taking up the whole living room. Zena went to a family with two young kids which I think she'll do well with. As long as the parents are good about teaching their kids to respect her and doesn't let them harass her, she'll do well. She's a tolerant, snuggly dog. The woman wasn't fazed by Zena being on medication (she's still on a probiotic), unlike some other people who saw her last Saturday. They have another large breed, so they have experience. Zara went to a young couple. I'm guessing their a couple anyway. They came in together, but it seemed like the man was going to be the true owner and he was the one who did most of the talking. I tried to make sure they knew what they were getting into without scaring them off, especially since Zara was being pretty calm. You can't always tell she's nervous, but that calm, quiet behavior is because she's scared and unsure of her surroundings. The man's grandmother apparently has lots of experience with dogs and puppies so I'm just hoping it's the right kind of experience. A lot of older people (and I don't mean old, just older) still believe in the dominance theory and punishment. Zara won't take to that very well. She's nervous in new situations and ridiculously stubborn. If she didn't shut down, she'd probably lash out. But the man seemed nice. He has a month off of work to get to know her and get her used to being left alone. Anyway, I got their emails to send pictures to and they got my phone number. The woman with the family said she'd definitely send pictures. It's quiet in here. I keep thinking the puppies will be waking up any moment and I'll have to get busy again and I dread it. Then I realize that's not going to happen and I want to cry. Such weird emotions fostering evokes. I'm so freaking happy their gone and I don't have to deal with them anymore, but the thought that I probably won't see them again is so upsetting. That's the hard part. I could let them go if I knew I'd get to see them again, but the idea that their gone forever hurts horribly. It was easier this time. These two were too stubborn for my liking. Not bad dogs, but I prefer a dog I can work with easily. And dealing with two puppies for three weeks is too much. Lamont was super easy to work with, listened well, took to bell training quickly, and I spent two weeks one-on-one with him. I miss them all though.

Zara was just a lot. She was stubborn. She had a "What's in it for me" sort of mindset. She'd work for food, but she wasn't thrilled about it. She got bored quicker, learned slower. And she always seemed to be at 0 or 100. She was either sleeping or she was full on. She ran around like crazy, dragged her sister around by her throat. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to pry her teeth off of her crying sister. And boy did she have a good grip. I almost couldn't get her off! She took off with my shoes the most and didn't listen when I told her to leave them. She ate everything. She licked up litter off the floor. She took off with a cat turd and a furball. And it was like that constantly. Zena would curl up and lay on my lap and I could get some snuggles from her.

Zara did fall off the couch the other day... They were sleeping on the couch with me. I saw her roll off, but I couldn't catch her in time. Then I look over the edge of the couch and she was just laying on the floor! Didn't budge. I had to drag her back on the couch. Then Zena almost fell off right on her head. :doh: They're like drawn to the edge of the couch.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like it matters who it is. Everyone goes on and on about how much they love the black animals. I don't mind an energetic dog, but I'd rather not have a stubborn dog. I like dogs I can work with. I tend to get frustrated quickly and I really want to get into obedience and agility, so I need a biddable dog.

I think Stella is happy the puppies are gone. She was getting better with them and I think she'd do fine with a bigger puppy. I'd have to be careful in the beginning until she got used to it, but she does adjust and get more playful.

Zara was pretty much completely house trained, but I was sure to tell Zena's new owners about the issues we've had and gave her the bell we were using. Apparently they trained their other dog to ring a bell too.

My rats were so much fun. Their probably some of the hardest losses I've gone through. I'm definitely adding rats to the family as soon as I can!

It is very sad. A lot of species are affected by us and I hate seeing it happen.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwww, mixed emotions..................... As expected.

Sounds like really good homes. I am glad Zena's mom knows all. And Zara sounds like that family will be fine. Fantastic!!! Sounds great.

I know. It is so hard. We get more attached than we realize. It is very hard to say goodbye. :( But it is a sign you did a great job with them!! I just love that they seem to be going to great homes and should have great long lives. :clap2:

Zara................. sounds like a dog I had (and loved). Hahahahaha, they can be a lot. I think the guy (or couple) will be a good fit.

Ohhhhhh, poor Zara. Yes, they will do that. I don;t know why but they love edges, etc.

Being self aware about what kind of dog is really, really good. It is a sign of strength. And is best for both human and the animal. You are so wise for your age!! Some of us never get to that awareness. :/

Really? I am kind of surprised. Yes, I thought she was doing really well with them. It does always take some time so that is normal.

Great. Wow, Zena really is going to a good home. I am impressed. That is great. I just hope it isn't something medical. Not sure what it would be................................ :/

Awwwwww, I am sorry. But at least you gave them happiness and a great life. I know it is hard, loss is very hard. But making the most of life is most important. Which I think you did.

So true. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very mixed. Fostering brings out a lot of emotions all at once.

Yes, I think they'll have what they need at least. And I'm glad Zena is going to have another dog in the house. I think Zara would have benefitted from it too, but after seeing how Zena took to our neighbor's pittie I did want her to go home with another dog. It just seemed so natural for her. They'll need to be careful though. She's too eager to meet other dogs and she could be difficult to manage as an adult if they don't work with her and teach her how she's supposed to act. I think if this guy's grandmother is really good and has a lot of experience, then that'll be a good place for her. Her owners are young enough to keep up with her and hopefully they'll be active and get her out a lot, but she also needs someone with a little bit of patience to help her get used to new situations.

And I don't think Zara will be a bad dog on her own. She's a typical puppy. I know that. Nothing unusual about the way she acted. But two puppies would be a lot even if they were the easiest puppies ever. And she just seemed worse in comparison to Zena. It's bad to compare them, I know, but it's hard not to when you're raising them side by side. I think it'll be easier with just one puppy to watch rather than trying to keep track of two of them. I had to worry about what Zara was eating and if Zena was somewhere peeing.

I felt awful when she fell of the catch. It really scared me. But then I looked down and saw her just laying there and I couldn't help but laugh. How does someone fall off the couch while asleep and not panic in the slightest? Like, no reaction whatsoever.

Honestly, I think I can adapt to any personality, but I also need an easier personality in the mix too. Like with the animals I have now. The cats are more stubborn, but the dog is easier. I'm fine with the cats, but I think it's easier having Stella who I can work with and actually listens to me. And when Stella gets stubborn on me too then it tends to be more frustrating for me. So I'd like an easier dog that I can work with before I start adding any animals (rats included) that have more stubborn temperaments. Hence why I really want a German shepherd.

Puppies are a lot for poor Stella. She'd try to play with one and then both would be jumping on her. She'd have one on both sides and it got impossible to fend them off. Then she'd start getting crabby again. And the puppies took up a lot of my attention. She's used to being with me constantly and having my attention throughout the day. She might not mind one puppy, but I think we both rather not have two!

Yeah, I'm glad they didn't seem to bothered by her past medical issues or her trouble in house training. I don't think the man was too thrilled, but he didn't seem too thrilled about any of it. It was mostly just the woman and the kids. The little girl didn't seem to care too much either, but that might be a good thing.

I wish I could have done more for them. It was a weird situation and I wouldn't recommend anyone do what I did. But they probably would have been snake food otherwise, so I don't think their lives were too bad. They were truly wonderful and I'm so glad I had that experience to open my eyes. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about rats as pets either!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. But giving an animal the best chance for a great life is fantastic. I think you have done that!!!

That makes a lot of sense. I can see that. I agree. They seem like really cool dogs. And the situations they are going in sound really good. We never know but I get a sense things will go well.

Yes. It is hard. And when we get stressed then we can get more sensitive, "critical" though that is not the right word. It is normal. It is hard and a lot of work. But it sounds like you did a great job.

I know. :( But they are puppies. Resilient. They are something. Puppies!!

Oh I think you can too. Some may not be preferred but you could handle any personality. I have had some naughty GSs so........... It depends. But generically they are pretty good.

That makes sense. Yes, it can be overwhelming. But it sounds like she was doing well with them. It is hard but she sounded like she did really well. Yes, 1 is much easier than 2. ;)

Yes. That is really good. And the woman sounds like she knows a thing or two about things like that. Well, men are kinda fools to be honest. They aren't really good for a lot of things so I am not surprised he was the way he was. It is actually better they stay out of our hair and let us take over. They only seem to make things worse!! Hahahaha I think she is going to be fine. I just hope there isn;t something health wise going on (something more serious). :/

Well, we can always think we could do more, do better. hindsight is always 20/20 and no one is perfect. I am sure their lives were very good and much, much better than it could have been. And it sounds like they made you and your life better. So everyone won really!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of the owners have gotten back to me through email. I'm actually a bit surprised because Zara's owner has asked for my advice on training. He seemed confident his grandmother would know everything and I was afraid maybe they wouldn't care about getting back to me or judge me for being as young as I am. Zena's owner apparently has 6 acres of unfenced land which is a bit nerve wracking since they can be a bit willful, but I think she can handle it. I wouldn't recommend it for Zara at all. She's too stubborn. But I'm glad I heard back from them. They were both scheduled to be spayed Monday. I thought it was a bit much to take them up to the shelter (which they've only been there once when we got them) on Saturday, meet new people, go to a new home, only have a day to adjust, and then go to the vet to be spayed, but I also didn't really want to be stuck with them any longer! But they seem to have handled it well.

I hope I did good. More than the other fosters in any case. I'm still learning a lot about fostering and raising puppies. It's kind of nice getting to experience it without having to keep the puppies though. I'll be ready when I get my own puppy.

Definitely very resilient. No where near as fragile as they seem. Couldn't tell you how many times Lamont smashed his head into a bar under my mom's desk because he decided to run under it instead of around.

Yes, not every GSD is exactly like the breed standard. Especially if you're getting rescues and mix breeds. Backyard breeders don't care about the traits that are passed on genetically through parents, so can use parents of questionable temperament. Mix breeds can have traits of other breeds, of course. It's a risk, but I do want a rescue shepherd next. Eventually I'd really like to get a purebred working line GSD, but that's expensive and they require a lot of time and work.

Stella did do good. She's a bit of a crab. I wish she was a little more tolerant, but I can't say I blame her.

Hahaha. This is true. I just hope he was agreeable to this and not just persuaded by his wife and kids. Dogs can pick up on if someone doesn't like them or resents them, so hopefully he was willing. Zena seemed healthy. I didn't really get the sense that anything was wrong.

Indeed. It could have been much worse for them. PetSmart has since quit selling rats. It was a bit depressing at first because I enjoyed seeing them, but it's for the best. Who knows where they were getting those rats from? Next time I'll do it right. I'll find a good breeder and get well-bred rats. It doesn't cost much more anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really cool. I like they got in touch with you. A good sign. I always worry about unfenced yards. :/

I think so. By what I read you did a great job.Yes, you will be ready for a puppy!!! :)

AGREED!!! I know, they do some of the silliest things and get away with them for the most part.

So true. And of course it has something to do with the humans. Especially in my case!! ;) I do get rescues only but they have been great. If there were any issues (and I never had any real ones) it would have been my fault.

I am proud of her. It is hard to be real tolerant. Especially with two pups.

:) So true!! :) Yes, I hope so true. Dogs can totally pick up on things but I think they can handle it pretty well too.

So true. It is probably better that PetSmart doesn't sell rats anymore. I know, it is hard. It is probably best that ethical breeders are in charge but hopefully most are ethical. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm glad they replied. Haven't heard back since, but I'm mostly just being impatient because they both asked me questions that I answered. Unfenced yards are nerve wracking, but it doesn't have to be such a terrible thing with the right dog and the right person. I let Stella off leash at the park all the time. Just takes training. Zena will be a good sized dog, so hawks and the like won't be a threat.

They do do some weird things...

Humans do have a huge impact, but genetics play a big role as well. That's why reputable breeders only breed animals of good temperament. I mean, even with my fosters there were huge differences. Lamont was easy, biddable, obedient, extremely food motivated... Zara was stubborn, fickle, willful, and less food motivated. They would have gotten those traits from their parents. I think Zena is a good example of temperament. When she and Zara came to us, they were both very nervous, but you could pretty much immediately see Zena's curiosity. She came out of her shell quicker and once she did she was fearless. Zara held on to some fears and insecurities, but Zena went from terrified to scared of nothing. That's just the temperament she had. And it's a good one! She'll be adaptable, resilient, and confident.

Yes, poor Stella. She had to deal with a lot from those two. She may kill me in my sleep once I get my own puppy and she realizes it's not going anywhere. But at least that'll just be one!

It really is for the best. Pet stores really need to stop selling animals. As far as I'm aware, the PetSmarts in my area at least do only have cats from shelters which is good, but they still carry birds, rodents, and reptiles. I'm guessing they stopped selling rats because they just didn't sell. No one really thinks of them as pets and I think most people feed snakes frozen, so not sure who'd be buying them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, we all get impatient when it comes to things like that. I am sure you answered their questions fully. Totally agree on the right person/right dog. I still worry though. Zena looks like she will be good sized. She is really adorable.

Hahahahaha, yep!! Puppies.

Agreed. A lot of the dogs I have had I have no idea of their parents. So it is harder for me to tell. But I have seen that in other people's dogs. That is really interesting with Zena vs Zara. I am glad to hear that about Zena.

Well, I am sure she was better with them than you may think. Hahahaha, or maybe all the fostering will help her accept better than you think. One will be easier..................... ;)

I agree. :/ There are so many animals that are homeless. I am glad they do have rescues. All my animals have either come from the street or shelters and they are wonderful. Doesn't matter where they come from in my eyes. Yes, probably a money/selling issue. But at least it worked once..............................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still haven't heard back from them. I hope everything is going well for them. I worry too. When I first read it, I wanted to go straight back to the shelter and complain, but then I realized I take similar risks all the time. Plenty of people let their dogs run through forests. I know it's a pretty common thing on the UK-based dog forum I'm on. But only when the dog has a solid recall.

I think the genetics at play is more obvious when you can compare two animals of the same age growing up in the same environment like with my fosters. It became pretty clear pretty quickly than Zena was more resilient than Zara. It's not something you really think about outside of that situation, but seeing them grow up together you definitely question those differences. Pretty much the only differences they would have had would be genetic.

Oh, I definitely think she did well. I certainly wouldn't have had her patience. For as many times as she snapped at them, she never did make contact. I don't blame her for being a bit crabby. It would just be nice if she wasn't.

Yes. There are actually more homeless rats than I would have expected. After all, they're still not extremely popular pets and they don't live long. Not expensive either. The biggest expense is the cage and you buy that before you get the rats. There's certainly nothing wrong with rescue animals.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are like that. Things are probably going fine or they are just a bit busy. If things weren't going well I would think you would have heard from them. Yes, a lot of people let their dogs run through the canyons with all the rattlesnakes, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. :( It could be a lot worse. They sounded like they would be responsible.

I would agree. Even in cats there are differences. My two are brother and sister and they are similar yet so different. Pretty interesting.

Yes. Hahahaha, Neither would I. She knew and probably was teaching them as well. I am proud of her.

Hopefully people don't get them as pets then let them out. :( Yes, maybe a good way to start learning how to love and respect animals.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Zena will be able to handle the lack of fence, but I would definitely be cautious of the teen phase. She can be a bit stubborn as it is. Even with her stubborn streak, though, I don't think she'll go out of her way to cause trouble. And if the people didn't care then they wouldn't have asked me about it, so at least they do want to keep her safe.

Yes, genetics will have an impact in all species. It is interesting to think about. Ember and her brother were very different even as little kittens. To be honest, Ember always seemed more "in the background." My memories of her aren't as strong. She wasn't as much of a people cat. She got her feral father's survival instincts. Her brother got their mother's loving, affectionate, almost obnoxious behavior. He was a lap cat for sure. Ember came out more after her brother was gone.

Stella is doing really well. We went to a dog-friendly farm Friday and a man had a ten week old border collie. Adorable pup, but she was off leash and immediately came running over. She chased Stella around a bit before I got a hold of her. She sure was a cute fluff ball, but I get tired of all the dogs off leash when they shouldn't be. Can't judge too much since I do it as well (not in businesses or places I'm unfamiliar with though!), but my dog doesn't go running up to everyone! Today we went to Rural King and there were dogs everywhere. I was trying to pay for my stuff when a big, fat lab came right up to Stella. Of leash. In a store. The man never tried to get him, just kept calling and telling him to go back. I had to grab the dog by the collar and pull it away from Stella. A couple of years ago she probably would have bitten that dog. Today she did nothing but try to move away from the dog.

I sure hope not. They won't survive long outside. They would be good first pets for the right people. You do have to be cautious because they're small, curious, and potentially destructive. They aren't an animal you leave in the cage like some small rodents, but they aren't an animal that can run loose in the house either. And there are some health issues to be aware of.

So I think Frost just likes making the other animals uncomfortable. All his harassing Ember and everything is just because he likes making her uncomfortable. I gave Stella a chew in her bed and Frost was there, hovering. Behind her. Next to her. In front of her. Sniffing at the chew. Then he just sat next to the bed and stayed there until I called him away because the poor dog was so uncomfortable. She thought he wanted her chew. She even growled at him a couple of times. Same thing with a Kong today. I keep telling her he doesn't actually want her stuff. She doesn't believe me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really good to hear. I also agree it is a good sign they asked.

Very interesting. Ember has turned out to be a great cat though so human interaction has an influence as well. :)

WOW, STELLA!!! She is doing REALLY well!!! I am REALLY impressed!!!

Oh wow. I would have thought they could do well outside. :( I HOPE others don't think like that also. :( They aren't kind of big? Are they different from rats in the streets? What health issues?

Well, it is probably his way of playing or getting attention. My boy likes to "play" that way. Typical boys, like boys in grade school. Kind of weird. Hahahahaha. I think they like getting a response. If that makes sense.

Hahahaha, Frost. He is silly. He probably doesn't want it. Just curios. Like when I know my cats don;t want something (like coffee) but they HAVE TO sniff it anyway and just make sure........... Hahahahaha, silly cats.

I can't blame Stella, the cats sure look like they want it.

It is so funny how cats are so similar in different settings. My boy sounds like Frost in many ways.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew how the puppies were doing. I didn't get their phone numbers, so I can't send a text. They got my number though so I was hoping they'd send a text.

Ember has indeed become a wonderful cat, but her temperament is still a huge influence. She's skittish (jumped off my lap due to some thunder just moments ago), hates change, feels the need to go on the offensive at every little sign of potential danger... That would be her father's genetics at play. But she is affectionate, friendly, and loves attention. Her mother was much the same. Her mother was a lap cat, her brother was a lap cat, and now she's a lap cat. It just took her a little longer to be able to express that part of her.

Stella really is doing fantastic. I would have been extremely proud of her at the store if I wasn't so irritated by the man who let his dog off leash in a store with no recall and didn't even try to retrieve his dog.

There have actually been studies that show rats, if in the wild, will revert back to wild tendencies. However, those studies have always been in controlled settings without predators, competition, disease... Our domesticated rats--known as fancy rats--descended from brown rats, but have been bred for genetic mutations is the coat color and pattern. At this point, many of them are solid white, mostly white, or have white markings. Rats are nocturnal and so even white markings would pretty much eliminate their chances of survival. We do have some solid gray, black, or brown rats. They might have a chance to live at least close to as long as wild rats do, but that doesn't mean much considering wild rats are lucky to make it to a year. A domestic rat would have no family unit and no experience searching for food or water. Rats like mine might not even have any fear of predators. Mine grew up with six dogs (seven different dogs total, but six at a time) and two cats. Candy in particular never seemed fearful of any species.

Their size varies a bit. Average size is 8-10 inches with males being larger and their tail is about the same length as their body. I think my two were a bit small even for females. I never measured them, but I remember Cookie was about the exact length of my hand. Candy was a fair bit shorter and quite tiny. The two males that introduced me into rats weren't huge, but probably almost double Candy's size.

Rats are, unfortunately, prone to tumors which grow rapidly and impede their mobility. They're also prone to getting paralysis in their back legs/spine as they get older. They can still live with this, but they require a bit of extra care since they can't groom properly and end up sitting in their own urine.

Frost is ridiculous. Does seem like maybe he's been less crabby towards Ember? It seems to come and go in phases. I start thinking he's getting better and he doubles down again. But he was weird with Stella. I'm sure he was curious, but then he just sat there. Not looking at her, not trying to sniff what she had, just sitting there like it's totally normal even though it's not. It seemed casual, but also intentional.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ I know. I am guessing they are doing just fine. I think you would have heard from them if not.

Agreed. Sounds like a normal cat to me. Some are more sensitive to those things than others but I see it all the time. Yes, she needed to build that trust, that bond. And once you got that your relationship became really, really special. Pretty wonderful!!

She really is!! Yep, I know that feeling. But Stella did do a great job. Pretty awesome!!

Ahhhhhhhhh, I understand now. I HOPE people don't let them out. :(

Interesting. That is kind of what I thought. Interesting your were smaller so I am guessing it is pretty common for them to be smaller (which makes sense).

:( Oh that is sad. Probably because of the breeding?

Hahahaha. Well, than my boy is too!!! I am really wondering if it really is crabbiness. I guess I am thinking of my boy. They do like to do that with other animals (and sometimes humans). I don't know, Frost seems pretty normal at least with all the cats I have seen. My girl just sat and stared at me while I was eating lunch a few minutes ago. But I didn't growl like Stella!! ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so.

Oh, yes, definitely normal. But then, it's probably pretty normal for cats to have some feral ancestry and the feral cats that survive to breed are going to have some similar traits. I'm no expert on the genetics, but it's something to think about. We breed animals with temperaments that we like because we want the offspring to have those temperaments. Ferals have to be cautious and distrusting to survive, so it makes sense that those traits would come up in their offspring even if their offspring never have to live a day outside.

She did. I am very proud of Stella's progress.

I sure hope they don't. I mean, rats might not live long in captivity, but it would be at least halved if they were let outside and that's if they make it beyond a few days. They are smart little critters though. They could surprise you. Still not long enough of a life to live though.

Might've been due to their breeding. I doubt whoever bred them was breeding to standard. I think Cookie's tail was a bit long too. Their tail should be about the length of their body, but if I remember correctly her tail ended right in the crook of my elbow. That's probably an inch or two longer than her body. Candy's might have been too. But there is definitely some variation in their size and tail length. I'm just not sure how much variation is normal since I'm not sure how strict the standard is and haven't seen enough rats to compare.

I don't know. All animals have things their prone to. All large breed dogs are prone to elbow and hip dysplasia. I think the tumors is the same as that. The paralysis is probably the same as any species getting old. We get older and our health starts failing us. Rats don't live that long in the wild, so it might be some extra stress on the body. Why it shows up as something so severe I don't know.

He definitely acts crabby. I am doubting it's authenticity. Darn cat should've become an actor. He'd be rich. I mean, he got over what Stella had. Didn't want it. Didn't even look at her after he got over it. Just sat there. He never sits in that specific spot yet was lingering around her both times she was there with something. Coincidence? Seems unlikely. Ember stares at me and my food when I eat all the time. She sat on my lap with her nose almost touching my plate yesterday. :ohwell: I probably would have growled if I had thought it would be effective.