Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we're sort of just assuming Ash is fine at this point. He isn't peeing on things (that we know of) so can't really say how much he's going or see what color it is. He acts fine, but that doesn't really tell me much because he never actually acts like anything is wrong. Not much prevents him from eating.

Flounder really isn't that bad with them. I very rarely see him instigate anything and it's usually half-hearted when he does, but they're both terrified of him. If he looks at either one of them they immediately hunch up and get low to the ground. Gyzmo will run. Tulip sometimes runs, sometimes stays still, and sometimes runs up slaps him when he turns his back on her. Gyzmo is scared of Tulip too and I have seen Tulip attack Gyzmo. It seems like a fairly precarious dynamic.

My last baby is going to be leaving soon. :bawling: He's good at getting to one thing to get to another and so on so he gets higher and higher. I moved things around because I didn't want him getting out before he was actually able to fly. I also moved his trash can lid that he likes to get on because he was by the side of the fence right by the road. I was scared he'd fly right into the road. Then I chased him over to the trashcan lid while his mom yelled at me. We obviously have different methods of raising baby robins. His mom was not happy after that. Did not attack me though, so I count that as a win.

There were cats at the park today. We're guessing they're looking for baby birds. We did see one little robin that's smaller than mine. His mom yelled at us and made sure we get well away from him.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great. I know, Ash is a tough one, he doesn't show signs. :(

:( Poor Gyzmo. She needs confidence. It does sound like they do well overall. Sue there may be some tension but they are taken care fo and no one seems to get hurt which is great.

Awwwwwwww. Mom got upset!!! Hahahahaha But not too mad (she didn't attack). Good job on keeping him safe!!

:( Yep. They do like fresh bird. :( The world is really tough for a lot of species. I wish everyone was vegan. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash was weirdly affectionate for a bit today, but other than that still normal.

She really does. I'd like to help them, but it's like I have my own animals to take care of and I didn't sign up for helping nervous cats. Truthfully, I didn't sign up to work with such an aggressive cat as Tulip. They need better grooming too. They shed horrible and Gyzmo always seems to have knots. Their claws are sharp too. Tulip barely has to touch you with her claws and it can still hurt.

Baby robin left.... :bawling: He flew away yesterday. I walked outside in the morning to check on him and saw him up on the fence. I almost missed him flying away. Shortly after I got there, he flew into the neighbor's tree and he stayed there for a long time. I'm not sure when he left as he was still there last time I checked. Even when I couldn't see him, I could hear him.

But! But we have puppies now. We just picked them up not long ago. I don't have any good pictures right now, but I'll do a photo shoot soon. They're a lot bigger than Leon and Lamont was. They look like lab/terrier/maybe boxer mixes to me. Yellow-y in color. One is named Zena. On paper, the other is Yellow Dog, but we're calling her Zara.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe he just appreciates you more? Glad he is normal though.

:( I am sure it is hard. Is Gyzmo long haired? I am guessing it is really hard since they are probably busy all day.

Awwwwwww, but good job getting him to where he could fly away!!! It is always sad but his life is meant to be free. Pretty cool he stuck around and you could hear him AND at least you saw him fly away. GOOD JOB!!!

WOW!!! THAT was fast!!! They sound so adorable. You are going to be busy. :) Very cool!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who knows with him. He let me pick him up off the floor and put him on my lap and he stayed for a few minutes. Then he followed me around the kitchen while I tried to put dishes away.

Yes, she's long-haired. Not like the boys. Sort of long, thin fur rather than floofy fur. I wish I could say they are too busy, but usually things are pretty quiet for the last half hour or so even when things were normal. I've had a few people working as receptionist complain about the last half hour being boring.

It was fun having them around. I enjoyed watching them grow and develop. But yes, they were meant to be free and fly outside. I would have been really upset if I missed him flying away. Not to mention I might not have ever mowed again because I'd be afraid he was actually still back there and I just couldn't see/hear him. It's sad they're gone, but I'm happy I can have puppies now.

Lol. I've been waiting forever! We asked if they were going to be getting puppies soon and they said they were picking up a litter the next day. They asked if we would take two "little" puppies! I think they tricked us. These are not little puppies. The smaller one is bigger than Lamont was when he was adopted. The bigger can already get out of the pen. They're a bit nervous. Zara, the smaller one, can go from bouncy, playful, nippy, happy puppy to scared, head down, tail tucked, and running from you in a moment's notice. She does seem to be getting better already though. I let them in the kitchen earlier and they weren't sure what to make of the tile floor. They're also very alert. They start barking and growling over every unfamiliar noise. They even barked at me a couple of times last night. I think because it was dark and they didn't recognize me. They did that to the cats too, but haven't done it today. They still freak out over little noises though. Stella isn't a fan. She snapped at them once last night and is very growl-y. She's spent most of today in my room so far. Ember has been tense and hiss-y, but she lingers around the pen and was within a foot of them when we first brought them back. I think these puppies are a little more intimidated due to their size, but I think it's going pretty well.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who knows with him. He let me pick him up off the floor and put him on my lap and he stayed for a few minutes. Then he followed me around the kitchen while I tried to put dishes away.

Yes, she's long-haired. Not like the boys. Sort of long, thin fur rather than floofy fur. I wish I could say they are too busy, but usually things are pretty quiet for the last half hour or so even when things were normal. I've had a few people working as receptionist complain about the last half hour being boring.

It was fun having them around. I enjoyed watching them grow and develop. But yes, they were meant to be free and fly outside. I would have been really upset if I missed him flying away. Not to mention I might not have ever mowed again because I'd be afraid he was actually still back there and I just couldn't see/hear him. It's sad they're gone, but I'm happy I can have puppies now.

Lol. I've been waiting forever! We asked if they were going to be getting puppies soon and they said they were picking up a litter the next day. They asked if we would take two "little" puppies! I think they tricked us. These are not little puppies. The smaller one is bigger than Lamont was when he was adopted. The bigger can already get out of the pen. They're a bit nervous. Zara, the smaller one, can go from bouncy, playful, nippy, happy puppy to scared, head down, tail tucked, and running from you in a moment's notice. She does seem to be getting better already though. I let them in the kitchen earlier and they weren't sure what to make of the tile floor. They're also very alert. They start barking and growling over every unfamiliar noise. They even barked at me a couple of times last night. I think because it was dark and they didn't recognize me. They did that to the cats too, but haven't done it today. They still freak out over little noises though. Stella isn't a fan. She snapped at them once last night and is very growl-y. She's spent most of today in my room so far. Ember has been tense and hiss-y, but she lingers around the pen and was within a foot of them when we first brought them back. I think these puppies are a little more intimidated due to their size, but I think it's going pretty well.
Awwwww, that is cute. I wonder what he wanted......... ;)

I bet she is gorgeous. I am guessing the right person needs to have some time as well. I hear you though. But I will admit, sometimes I get surprised by claws needing trimming as well. :/

SO true on every point!! It is cool.

Hahahahaha, I KNOW!!! They always say that. "Oh this is is nice dog" - "OUCH". That sounds normal though (how they are so far). You will get them to adjust. I am not surprised by Stella and Ember. I am sure it will go fine. There may be some bumps but there always are. Pretty exciting. Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute, but not very helpful. Ash wasn't eating right yesterday. No clue what happened. My work is back to normal hours, so my mom fed them first dinner and said he acted like he couldn't eat. I put the bowl down and watched long enough to see him look like he was eating, but got busy with pups and forgot to keep an eye on him. I fed them later and he acted like he couldn't get it out of the bowl so I ended up hand feeding him. He did fine this morning though.

She's a pretty cat. Would look nicer if she was brushed out. She's a brown ticked tabby. Oh, I know about the claws. My way of knowing when it's time to cut their claws is when Ember puts her claws in my pants and it hurts. Once it hurts I know it's time. But I don't think their claws have ever been as bad as the clinic cats. Flounder's back claws click against the floor like a dog's claws. I always know when he's following me.

I'm already too attached. This fostering thing is hard. They're so cute and are getting more and more confident already. The big semi trucks still scare them a bit and unfortunately there's a lot of them, but they're getting better. And I'd being lying if I said I didn't think it was adorable when they came running to me for protection. They're doing pretty well with house training. Only a handful of accidents since they've been here and two of them were definitely our fault. They were being so good and quiet in the pen we didn't want to disturb them and rile them up. We did that a couple of times with Leon and Lamont too. But no poos in the house excluding an accident in the crate when we went to get them. Zena is a bit of a loud mouth, but she's pretty good at settling down with a chew. They do have some trouble settling enough to sleep though. Once their down, their down for a while, but it takes a good 15-20 minutes for them to get to sleep most times. They're doing good with the cats though. Zena has chased Ember a couple of times but a clap of the hands and a sharp "no" stops her pretty quick, so better than Lamont was. Zara mostly ignores them. Stella tried to play with them last night, but they didn't seem to know what to make of her so it was a bit awkward.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm. That is not good. I am glad he is eating normal this morning though. Try to really observe him to see if you can see anything going on. Poor Ash.

She sounds really pretty. Yep on the claws.

Fostering is REALLY hard. Getting attached is VERY easy. :( They sound like they are doing really well. I am impressed Zena stopped chasing Ember with a clap and a "no".

I am sure Stella is trying to figure them out. Stella is not really a dog's dog though she seems to have gotten a lot better. Exciting!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am. He seems fine though. I don't know what that was about. It was like he forgot how to eat out of his bowl, but after I hand fed him, he licked it clean and hasn't had a problem since.

They are doing well. Getting more inquisitive and a little more interested in the cats. Frost is always making noises at them which just peaks their interest. I walked by just in time to see Zena go up behind Frost and get so close to biting his tail. Her mouth was open when I told her to leave it. She looked at me obviously deciding whether she was going to listen or bite it anyway. Fortunately, she decided to listen because I would not have been able to get to her in time to stop her. Zara is less nippy with them, but getting more confident. She's way more bite-y than Zena when it comes to me though. Zena would probably be a fantastic dog and really easy puppy if she was alone. Seems like its usually Zara starting things though Zena is clingier and screams bloody murder if I leave the room. They still have a hard time settling for sleep, but I think it's getting better. Zara likes to chew on her sister when Zena is trying to sleep. Oddly enough, Zena is doing better with the "leave it" training, but she goes nuts when I feed them a meal. I try to get them to both sit before giving them food and Zara sits no problem, but Zena jumps around like crazy.

Sometimes I swear both Stella and Frost intentionally put themselves in situations to be annoyed by the pups so they can crab at them. Stella feels the need to be with me constantly even if it means being around the pups. She grabbed her antler to chew and growled at the puppies when they got close so I took the antler and had her go up on the couch to chew it, but of course she didn't want to chew it then. :rolleyes: Frost likes to walk through the room their in and put himself in a corner and chatter at them when they get too close. Ash mostly stays out of the way, but he has come down and been around them. Ember is doing really well. Still a little tension with her, but she walks around with the pups loose and is fine unless they pay too much attention to her. I'm really surprised at how well she tolerates them considering she's the one who usually gets chased.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good. Hmmmm, spoiled?

Awwwwwwwww, they sound so adorable!!! Thanks goodness Frost didn't get his tail nipped. Whew. They seem really good overall. They seem to listen really well. I am impressed. Isn't it amazing to see the different personalities?

Hahahahaha, yep, that is the way some cats and dogs will be. They want to play or just have some fun. Interesting Ash is staying out of the way. Ember seems to like them a lot. Probably has fun with the chasing. Ember is really impressive.

I love seeing how each animal responds. Times like these you can really see their personalities. Which ones are more devilish etc.

It sounds like it is going really well. You are becoming a real pro at fostering!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. Maybe a little. I swear I don't usually hand feed them though! I just didn't know if it was the bowl or if he just didn't want to eat.

It was a close call for sure. They are good all things considered. They're a handful and probably more trouble and Leon and Lamont were, but they aren't horrible. Zara is a little trouble maker though. I love seeing the different personalities. They remind me so much of Leon and Lamont, but they're also quite different. Zara is a bit more willful and bit less food motivated, but she can be affectionate too.

Ember is impressive. She hisses, spits, and slaps at them sometimes, but that's understandable. She actually came down from the cat stand shortly after Zena went after her to check the pup out and really doesn't seem to ever become afraid of them.

I'm exhausted, but things are going well. It feels normal to have puppies in the house. Sometimes I forget they've only been here a few days.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) I wonder what it was..........

It sounds like it!!! Yes, it seems like it. They don't sound too much of a handful. Sometimes as time passes memories fade a bit (maybe Leon and Lamont were more of a handful than you remember?). Zara does sound like a little trouble maker!! Hahahahaha I tend to call it "character". When I hear about them I like them a lot.

She really is. Oh yes, they will do that but sometimes they do that to have some fun. It depends. You can learn a lot of behavior watching all of them. Ember is pretty good at knowing what is going on. I am not surprised to hear that. She is funny. More confident and comfortable it seems than we may think.

:( Hahahahaha, YEP!!! Puppies ARE exhausting. BUT rewarding. I know you are going to miss them when they find homes............ :/

THAT is the hardest part. :(

I am a little envious. I miss having pups. But mine keep my hands full now anyway.......................... But I am still envious.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know too.

I do think I remember more of the end with Lamont and he really was quite easy. We also didn't let Leon and Lamont run around the house much in the beginning. But there are some ways in which these two are more of a handful. They're less snuggly. Leon and Lamont would be willing to settle down in your arms on the couch, but unless you're standing while you're holding these two they just want to go exploring. Doesn't matter how tired they are, if they can run around and play then they want to do just that. And it does take some time for them to settle down and get to a point where they can sleep. A trouble maker might be nice in theory, but it's totally different actually having one! I love her, but she can be quite the pain. And she does have some resource guarding issues.

I think it's funny that my dog prefers cats and my cat prefers dogs. Ember is a good cat to have around the fosters though. I feel a bit bad that she gets chased and Zena bit her tail today, but she tolerates them very well and is good for teaching them some cat language. She was rolling around on the floor with her belly up earlier and Zena got a bit too excited. She wanted to play with her and ended up nipping Ember's tail tip. :rolleyes:

It is very rewarding. I will miss them. I've been missing Lamont a lot since having these two as well. Leon too, but especially Lamont. I kind of wanted to keep him. One the bright side, when I do get my own puppy it'll be a breeze after taking care of two puppies at the same time multiple times.

Come get one. You can have Zara. We'll see how much you like her "character" after a few days with her. :lol: I'm envious of all the people adopting! I want a puppy of my own. It's nice getting my puppy fix this way, but it also makes me want my own even more.

I posted some pictures in the Other Pets & Animals forum here.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. :/ I wish they could talk..................

Makes sense. Yep, they are puppies. Exactly. I have dealt with many trouble makers in my life. Resource guarding is not good but I know you can improve that.

Hahahaha, I know. It is pretty funny. Not surprising though. Ember is REALLY good. I have a feeling she likes to be chased. I mean rolling around with her belly exposed???? THAT is trust. WOW!! Poor thing, got her tail nipped. But it sounds like she wasn't too bothered? How did Ember act after that?

SO true. Yes, you will miss them. :( I know you wanted to keep him. THAT is the hardest part in my opinion. Letting go. Hahahaha, yes, it will be a breeze. Great experience!!

:) Hehehehehe, don't tempt me!! I guarantee I have had worse. I have had some real brats in my life. But I loved them (and some actually got better!!! - Hahahahaha). It is hard. I know, I am wanting another puppy as well. There is something about getting a new animal. I can't right now but I do have that desire really strongly. :(

I just HOPE all these puppies are finding good homes. once life gets back to normal I HOPE that they don't get selfish and .......... I guess I have seen it too many times in my life. :(

OH MY!!! THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!! I LOVE THEM!!!! They look like they are going to be pretty big. Look at those ears!!! ADORABLE!!!! Oh do I want another dog......................................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that too until I think of them asking me for food all the time.

If I'm being honest, I'm a little out of my league with the resource guarding. I've never had an issue with it before. Stella can be a bit snippy over her food and toys at times, but she never makes contact and it's never aimed towards a person. And my mom said she grabbed one earlier because it looked like she was squatting to pee and the pup kind of acted like she was going to bite. I'm sure my mom startled her, but it's not great if someone with kids wanted to adopt them.

Ember is doing good. I'm not sure if she enjoys being chased or not, but she does seem to like the puppies at least in some way. I was surprised to see her rolling around like that so early on. When her tail got nipped, she spat and ran about a foot or so away, but then just sat there and looked at Zena like she couldn't believe the puppy had the audacity to nip her tail. So she handled it pretty well, but she certainly wasn't impressed.

Letting them go really is the hardest part. No matter how difficult they are while here, handing them over is both the happiest and saddest part of fostering.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'd love to add another dog, a couple of rats, and maybe a hedgehog to my household, but no way that can happen. I need a bigger house. Once we get settled in to a new place I'll be ready to add another dog. Fostering helps with the desire to have a puppy, but then it also makes it worse.

I do too, but the shelter does screen people. I can only hope they do a good job of it. It seemed too easy when my dad got Max. But then my mom knows someone who gave up trying to adopt a kitten from them because they said it was too difficult. We'll just have to see. Leon and Lamont seemed to have gotten pretty good homes.

They're not even the biggest of the litter. I'm sure they're going to be pretty big. They're super cute.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, that they probably would.

Yes, it can be a challenge but you are smart, you'll figure it out. I know I use a similar method for dogs as I do for cats but i am not a dog expert. Dogs are easier in my opinion though. Dogs tend to want to please so dissatisfaction has worked for me. But not sure for others. But you will figure it out and learn. It is good she doesn't make contact (for now) and doesn't aim it at a person (for now). Fingers crossed.

I am guessing your mom startled the dog as well. Your mom is good with dogs so I am sure she handled it well. The good news is dog want to please more and do listen and learn better so they should get out of it. It can happen but then teaching them not to is important. As long as food is available and there isn't abuse etc the dog should be fine.

WOW, Ember handled it VERY well!!! I am really impressed. Ember knew it wasn't an attack but more play. That is really impressive. Yes, Ember sure does trust them. I am not sure she should so much but she is smart and intuitive. I am really impressed!!!

:( Totally agree. :(

WOW, a hedgehog??? Whoa. I don't even really know what they are. I never knew that about you. VERY interesting!!! Space and time is needed. It does get harder to add an animal when we have so many. It gets kind of exponentially more difficult but I don;t get a sense you are there yet. I am sadly there, I want to add but I just can't. It gets overwhelming at times. Fostering really does, you are exactly correct.

I know, they try. But screening is not perfect. And I worry more about some of the other places. It is a hard balance. Yes, some places are really tough while others are easy. I know I would be awful at it. It is really hard. And of course honest mistakes can happen. I just worry people will think one thing during times like this and then when life goes back to normal people forget about their responsibilities. Not everyone is like us. :( Leon and Lamont sound like they went to great homes!!

Wow. Yes, I think they are going to be big. They are ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!! SUPER CUTE!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For now I've just picked up anything she's gotten protective over and started feeding them separately. I don't want to do anything before I have a plan in place and know what I'm doing. I don't want to make the resource guarding worse. Figure they could use some times to build their overall confidence anyway.

I'm just worried about socialization and if we can make up for what they might've missed. Fortunately they're still young, but it's pretty obvious they've already missed out. I'm a bit overly paranoid about socialization because I've dealt with the consequences of Stella missing out on it. And I don't want any of my fosters to be brought back to the shelter!

She did and was right back to rolling around today. Funny cat. I don't think I'd be that trusting. But Zena did better this time and was able to mostly ignore her. Zara got smacked because she went up to Ember while I was focused on Zena for a few seconds. Didn't see exactly what happened, but it sure scared her. No damage done though.

Haha. I'd have a lot of different kinds of animals if I could. I couldn't have most just out of a moral standpoint, but I do love hedgehogs. They are absolutely adorable. Pygmy hedgehogs are what are usually kept as pets. They can go for anywhere from $200-$800 typically with most around the $500 mark. I'll have rats before I have hedgehogs because I could get rats plus the set up for the same as I could get just a hedgehog and I already have a cage for rats. I'm at my limit for the time being, but I certainly hope it's not long before I can add. A dog first, then rats, then a hedgehog.

Yes, it is hard. Unfortunately, I don't get a say in who adopts them when. I can just do my best to make sure they're prepared for it and hope they get a good home.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be a good learning experience. There are a lot of ways to achieve success. You will figure it out. I know that.

Totally understandable. I don't think what they missed will be an issue. Dogs are amazingly resilient. And it really depends on the home whether the progress you made stays. I am sure you will have them in a great place by the time they are adopted.

WOW!! Ember. She knows they are ok. I wouldn't be!!! But cats are smarter than me too........... Hahahaha, Ember being a mama cat teaching them manners. I am not surprised..................

Wow, I never knew that. Yeah, there are a lot of animals I would want as well. I love animals. I googled Hedgehog and they really are cute. They have short lifespans though. :( How did you get interested in them?

Yes, I knew you had rats before.

You have a good plan.

Yes. No, but that is ok. It is hard to be involved with who gets to adopt I am sure. It is maybe best not to be involved. I am sure you will do a great job with your part. They'll be prepared. I know you will do a great job.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'll certainly do my best.

They really are already getting so much better. It's hard to believe that no longer ago they were uncertain of the tile floor and loud trucks sent them running to hide. I just don't want them to end up aggressive with a kid or another pet, but then there's only so much I can do about that. In the end, genetics do play a role and that's a risk everyone takes when rescuing a puppy. I just have to do what I can.

Lol. I can't do a training session with the puppies without at least one cat lingering around. Ember is always right there when food is involved. Frost was between the crate and my bed when I went in there for a training session today. Boy did he chatter up a storm when I had one in the crate with a Kong and was doing training with the other, but he didn't even try to get away and he ended up laying on his side almost on his back. I don't think he hates them as much as he likes to pretend.

Yes, they do have pretty short lifespans. But rats only typically live 2-3 years, so that's not something I let prevent me from having an animal. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how I got interested in them. I've wanted one for a few years now. I just come across animals and start researching them. I've looked into all sorts of animals including fish, a variety of lizards, and several kinds of snakes. I'm interested in crested geckos too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That I know for sure.

They seem really good. They are learning and getting more comfortable. That is great. They don't seem like they will be aggressive. But the environment they are in will matter as well. You will do fine with them.

Hahahahaha, too funny. They are definitely going to be ready for a house with cats!! Yep, if Frost is doing that he is not afraid. Hahahahaha, silly boy.

Wow, I would have thoughts rats would have had a longer life. That is good that a life span doesn't prevent you. I can see why you are interested, they are really cute. I think you like all animals so I am not surprised. I think you can see the personality in animals really well. Animals are really amazing. If you watch them they are really interesting. How they interact, etc. The animal world is really amazing.