Struggling With Play Time

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time sure gets by me awfully fast. I just realized I have about a week until my history essay is due. I just started it yesterday, but got about 2 1/2 pages done in about an hour. I only need 7 pages... I do worry about finals though. Essays aren't much of a problem for me, but I struggle with normal tests, let alone finals.

I don't look forward to it. :frown: We had so many plans this year and we're not going to be able to do any of them. Even we're getting a bit stir-crazy being cooped up and we were not the most active or social people. I don't like sitting around on the couch all the time, but even if there was anywhere for me to go, I've been busy with homework. And I just read an article on Facebook (posted by the Anti-Fur Society) that two different mink farms in the Netherlands have had mink tested positive. Obviously, that's a horrible situation for animals to be in to begin with, but it's really scary that this has affected multiple different species like it has.

I think we'll both be okay. I don't think my job is going to lay me off. If I lose my job, it'll be because they shut down. Even then, I'd be alright. I can do freelancing and could probably make as much I am at my job right now. My mom's boss has said they won't be laying anyone off because they know it'll get really busy once we're in the clear.

Haha, not a chance. I couldn't be a vet if I wanted to because of my tremors. I'm not very steady and it's likely to only get worse. I can also be a bit squeamish with lots of blood/bones/organs...

I don't know what happened! Ash and Ember have been getting along so well, but now they've had a couple of pretty big fights. Well, big as far as their standards go. I know no blood is good and it could be worse, but it's been a while since we've had fights this bad. It's enough to send me running and I gave up on running to them a while ago. Not that it did me much good this morning since I had to launch out of my bed too fast and my vision started spotting about halfway to them, so I had to stop and sit down for a moment. They had a fight the other night in my room. I wasn't there, but from the damage done to my room, I'm guessing Ember was on the cat tree in there and Ash jumped up without paying attention, scaring Ember and causing her to lash out. She would've been stuck at the top which would explain why it escalated so much and everything on the table next to the cat tree was knocked over. Then they had another big fight this morning before my alarm went off. I've altered when they eat, but I've done it somewhat slowly and we haven't had a fight in a while. There's a lot of hissing and spitting and Ember starts the eerie mrowling noise, which tends to be pretty extreme for her. She doesn't do that often. This morning I heard Frost making noise right before the fight broke out, so pretty sure he was involved, but I don't know if he just finally caused Ember to lash out (and she won't touch Frost) or if Ash and Frost were playing and Ember broke it up. The latter seems pretty likely, but things haven't escalated like that in a while just because of them playing. Between these incidences, they're still totally fine and get along like there's nothing wrong. I can only guess the ferals in heat and mating are causing some tension, but they had been totally fine up until a couple of days ago and I know we had cats outside at some point without causing issues.

I'm sure Ember requires less protecting than I tend to think, but it's hard to let go. Especially when I know she won't stand up for herself! I don't think Frost wants this to escalate. If she stood up for herself, I think he'd back off. But she won't. And he knows she won't.

I'm guessing so as well. I would imagine they're getting some mice as well and perhaps the occasional rabbit, especially in the spring as there are a lot of baby rabbits around. Definitely not neutered. At least not of last summer. I had seen him mating with a female last summer. The other day there was a black tom and a gray (maybe dilute tortie) female mating. I had seen some kittens running around last summer too, but they keep pretty well hidden for the most part. :ohwell: The cats really seem to live in harmony though. There can be five cats hanging out on the tiny front porch and they all just get along. I've never seen any tension, hostility, aggression...

Well, if they do finals online then there isn't much they can do to keep us from using resources during the tests! They're such boring classes though and I've learned I do not have an ear for music... I can't pull the different sounds apart.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, goodness, hang in there!
So true. Sounds like you are doing well on the essay. We all worry but worry never solves anything. So just study as best as you can and as you study the worry should decline. There is an old saying "the more I practice the luckier I get". Meaning the more prepared the more likely things go well. I always try to never worry about things I can't control and do something about what I may be worrying about because I can do something about it. Study hard and do your best. I am sure you can do great.

I know. It is hard. But we will get through this. A lot of smart people are working on vaccines, on treatments, and of course on procedures to limit the spread. And the doctors are learning how to save more lives if people get infected. But we all have to do our part to lessen the spread and to give the health care workers time to care for and learn to help the future patients.

Yes, but how severe it is in the other animals we are not sure. And of course they have to get it from something and it probably is coming from a human (rather than a bat, etc). There are a lot of bad viruses and diseases out there that are zoonotic. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Sadly, we are dealing with a horrible one right now. :(

I am SO GLAD to hear that!!! It is a good lesson to prepare for rainy days. About half the USA can't afford a surprise $500 bill. So being reminded to build a "rainy day savings fund" is good (though the cause for this is horrific). Having a good education helps a lot to weather these dislocations and being smart about saving can as well. Life is unpredictable so being prepared is always good. I just hope your mom's job will be safe.

You will make positives in other ways then. That I am sure about!!!

It does happen. As long as it isn't too severe AND they bounce back quickly then it isn't too worrisome. Very, very few cat relationships are perfect. There are disagreements BUT if they still respect each other and chose not to hurt each other than it tells us a lot. It probably does have a lot to do with the outside cats and everything. That is usually a cause of an uptick of activity like what you are seeing.

It is totally hard. They are our babies. We all go through this. Yes, I have saying "a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked". So if Ember showed more confidence he would back off. This is so common. Just work on building her confidence, positive associations, positive encounters. Every cat households deals with this at some point. I know you can handle it.

:( Yes. They will hunt. :( Neutering and spaying is hard, expensive, etc. In many areas, without help it goes undone. And now with Covid is really makes it hard as many of us are at high risk. Intacts will definitely defend their mates, territory, etc. They can live in harmony but a lot of bad stuff happens as well. I have an intact I was trying to capture and he was really good with my colony. But usually there is a lot of fighting with intacts. :(

Oh my. And a somewhat "prisoner's dilemma" will come in play. :( There are a lot of negatives that can come from this that we don't even think about. Ughhhhhhhhh.

I know, at the time they seem "boring". There is a saying "education is wasted on the youth". It sure was on me. I couldn't relate to a lot of the classes. And now being old they seem really fascinating and I wish I could go through it, it is really interesting to learn about different times and cultures and things etc. I know it is boring but just like going to the dentist we have to do it. So just do your best. And if you can;t get the music if you try your best that is what really counts.

School is really about learning how to learn, problem solving, and never giving up and keep trying to make something better. In life we face new challenges all the time so learning how to solve problems, find solutions, etc is really important. Learning those skill sets are very valuable. It is better to teach someone to fish (learn to learn) rather than give a person a fish (memorize) in order to prepare them for the future.

I think you will do fine. Just do your best!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. Sounds like you are doing well on the essay. We all worry but worry never solves anything. So just study as best as you can and as you study the worry should decline. There is an old saying "the more I practice the luckier I get". Meaning the more prepared the more likely things go well. I always try to never worry about things I can't control and do something about what I may be worrying about because I can do something about it. Study hard and do your best. I am sure you can do great.

I know. It is hard. But we will get through this. A lot of smart people are working on vaccines, on treatments, and of course on procedures to limit the spread. And the doctors are learning how to save more lives if people get infected. But we all have to do our part to lessen the spread and to give the health care workers time to care for and learn to help the future patients.

Yes, but how severe it is in the other animals we are not sure. And of course they have to get it from something and it probably is coming from a human (rather than a bat, etc). There are a lot of bad viruses and diseases out there that are zoonotic. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Sadly, we are dealing with a horrible one right now. :(

I am SO GLAD to hear that!!! It is a good lesson to prepare for rainy days. About half the USA can't afford a surprise $500 bill. So being reminded to build a "rainy day savings fund" is good (though the cause for this is horrific). Having a good education helps a lot to weather these dislocations and being smart about saving can as well. Life is unpredictable so being prepared is always good. I just hope your mom's job will be safe.

You will make positives in other ways then. That I am sure about!!!

It does happen. As long as it isn't too severe AND they bounce back quickly then it isn't too worrisome. Very, very few cat relationships are perfect. There are disagreements BUT if they still respect each other and chose not to hurt each other than it tells us a lot. It probably does have a lot to do with the outside cats and everything. That is usually a cause of an uptick of activity like what you are seeing.

It is totally hard. They are our babies. We all go through this. Yes, I have saying "a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked". So if Ember showed more confidence he would back off. This is so common. Just work on building her confidence, positive associations, positive encounters. Every cat households deals with this at some point. I know you can handle it.

:( Yes. They will hunt. :( Neutering and spaying is hard, expensive, etc. In many areas, without help it goes undone. And now with Covid is really makes it hard as many of us are at high risk. Intacts will definitely defend their mates, territory, etc. They can live in harmony but a lot of bad stuff happens as well. I have an intact I was trying to capture and he was really good with my colony. But usually there is a lot of fighting with intacts. :(

Oh my. And a somewhat "prisoner's dilemma" will come in play. :( There are a lot of negatives that can come from this that we don't even think about. Ughhhhhhhhh.

I know, at the time they seem "boring". There is a saying "education is wasted on the youth". It sure was on me. I couldn't relate to a lot of the classes. And now being old they seem really fascinating and I wish I could go through it, it is really interesting to learn about different times and cultures and things etc. I know it is boring but just like going to the dentist we have to do it. So just do your best. And if you can;t get the music if you try your best that is what really counts.

School is really about learning how to learn, problem solving, and never giving up and keep trying to make something better. In life we face new challenges all the time so learning how to solve problems, find solutions, etc is really important. Learning those skill sets are very valuable. It is better to teach someone to fish (learn to learn) rather than give a person a fish (memorize) in order to prepare them for the future.

I think you will do fine. Just do your best!!
I'm probably not going to be very active for the next week or so. I'll still get on when I can, but I just found out one of my finals is due May 4th and two others are due May 8th. I'm not sure why since the last day of school is the 13th. My ethics teacher just posted Monday (after over a week of nothing) that the final is due the 4th. Plus a normal math test due this Friday... Good news is I'm done with two essays, but I still have two more!

Well, hopefully they'll figure out some sort of cure or vaccine, but I'm sure that'll take quite a bit of time. And there's still so many people who aren't taking this seriously. I just unfriended someone on Facebook because I got tired of his posts about having our freedom taken away and that just people some people are scared doesn't mean everyone should be forced to stay inside... It's a bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I hate this as much as anyone else does, but we're not dying just because we're having to stay inside for a while. I don't know how people can brush off all those deaths just because they're a bit bored.

From what I read, the mink farms reported animals with difficulty breathing and there were higher death rates. Sounds pretty bad to me, but then those animals are surely kept in horrid conditions. They probably don't have the greatest immunities. It's weird seeing something jump from species to species like this though.

Ah, well, I mostly just don't spend money. I could afford $500, but I certainly wouldn't want to! Though I'm pretty sure I've spent at least that in vet bills and different foots for the cats just recently.

I definitely plan to!

It was just so odd to see them go from totally fine and peaceful to chasing each other down and attacking. We've had some more minor issues. Mostly Ember charging and swatting at Ash. Nothing big, but it's happened several times. But then they'll go back to being totally fine and getting along great.

It's pretty impressive how peaceful they all are though. They can get quite a few cats on that tiny little porch and they all sunbathe together. I've certainly never seen or heard a fight over there though there's been some mrowling around our house. I'm not sure if we have one big colony or several smaller ones though. I've never seen any cats that I recognize on a different street. I has a suspicion there may even be another colony on the same street the main colony lives on. Hard to say for sure though.

Well, the history part of education is definitely wasted on me. I like learning, but some things just don't interest me and if they don't interest me then I have a hard time focusing. I want and need to keep my grades up though. Not only am I determined to keep good grades, but it'll help me later on when I transfer colleges.

I'll find a way to manage, I suppose.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. Study hard and do your best. Just when you get time we can catch up. YES!!! 2 Essays done and "just" 2 to go!! GREAT job!!!

Let's hope. You are so wise beyond your years. You are exactly right. A vaccine is the best but it will take some time but there is some hope one may be here in the fall for health care workers. HOPEFULLY it works. Bill Gates is funding a lot of research and manufacturing. Getting a vaccine will be one thing making enough of it for everyone is another challenge. But you are so right, we need to protect others. We can't be selfish. It is devastating for those who have lost their jobs and may not have jobs for a while. If we open too soon it can come back and hurt those people economically and possibly physically. It is really hard stuff. You are taking the right and best approach in my eyes. You want to protect others. Today it seems like Remdesivir maybe shows some promise as a treatment. That is good and hopefully it will work and save lives AND be available as manufacturing enough can be a challenge. BUT if people think "oh, there is a treatment so I can get it and be saved" and it doesn't work or isn't available then it can be more dangerous.

I hope that we come together as a country and use this to care about others more and less about ourselves and selfishness. To help those in need, to find compassion in our hearts, to really focus on what is really important. Maybe we can love each other more and care about each other more.I hope.................... Maybe a better world can come from this horrible thing.

:( Oh that is not good. I did not know that. Yes, it is a horrible "business". I wish people would not buy mink clothing. :(

Yes, this virus is really weird it seems. It attacks people in different ways and affects every organ it seems (not every organ in each person). It creates psychological issues, physical issues. Who knows what the long term damage is being done. It creates strokes. Some people will be fine, normal with blood oxygen levels shockingly low/bad and then the person just drops and deteriorates rapidly. I understand it is really a bizarre virus. We really need to eradicate it. Until we get a vaccine we really need to be smart.

That is good. You are responsible and focused on important things. Some people just don't make enough sadly to save even though they are responsible. It is sad. That is why we need to invest in education as that is the best way to help people. And to provide support for those in tougher situations.

Yes, sadly you have had vet bills. :( But that is important (as is food). I worry so much about the pets of people who have lost their jobs. Those of us that can help hopefully are.

Yes!! I am sure you will. :)

Yes, but in reality in general it is not that odd. Cats do that. It happens for a variety of reasons. I think the rebound is what is most important and most telling. Some day when you are married you'll see how easy it is to "disagree" then forgive. :)

Yes, it is very impressive. Cats are amazing creatures. I am glad to hear that. I wonder if they are TNR'd................ There could be another colony. It is hard to know. If cats respect territories they can get along. It is when they challenge that or look for a mate that is when the problems happen typically. :(

Hahahaha, it was on me as well. :( And then as you get older you'll probably be more intrigued. Right now we are living through history. The important part of history is to learn so we don't repeat the same mistakes made before. Of course we still make the same mistakes but hopefully fewer!!

You sounds like a totally normal person. If we have interest we are more likely to want to learn. And if we don't it is more of a challenge. It is hard to dedicate ourselves to something we don't like. BUT as you wisely point out it is important. To get that education to get that better job that we can enjoy and then to make some money to help others. Keep focusing on the classes as a means to and end (your new school, a better education, a better job, etc). It will pay off.

Just keep doing your best and focusing on why it is important. Never give up. Work hard, do your best on everything and you will be a success. And if your "job" eventually doesn't feel like a job because you love what you are doing and you do your best every day and respect everyone then I would say that is total success. But as you say, we have to put in the "boring" work to get better situations in the future.

I think you will do great. I know you will work hard and do your best. Just stay focused. Good luck!!

Talk when you can. Totally understand you will be busy. We'll catch up when you are ready!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all the VERY best of luck to you!!

You will :thumbsup:
Thank you. This college thing is hard. Lol.

Sounds good. Study hard and do your best. Just when you get time we can catch up. YES!!! 2 Essays done and "just" 2 to go!! GREAT job!!!

Let's hope. You are so wise beyond your years. You are exactly right. A vaccine is the best but it will take some time but there is some hope one may be here in the fall for health care workers. HOPEFULLY it works. Bill Gates is funding a lot of research and manufacturing. Getting a vaccine will be one thing making enough of it for everyone is another challenge. But you are so right, we need to protect others. We can't be selfish. It is devastating for those who have lost their jobs and may not have jobs for a while. If we open too soon it can come back and hurt those people economically and possibly physically. It is really hard stuff. You are taking the right and best approach in my eyes. You want to protect others. Today it seems like Remdesivir maybe shows some promise as a treatment. That is good and hopefully it will work and save lives AND be available as manufacturing enough can be a challenge. BUT if people think "oh, there is a treatment so I can get it and be saved" and it doesn't work or isn't available then it can be more dangerous.

I hope that we come together as a country and use this to care about others more and less about ourselves and selfishness. To help those in need, to find compassion in our hearts, to really focus on what is really important. Maybe we can love each other more and care about each other more.I hope.................... Maybe a better world can come from this horrible thing.

:( Oh that is not good. I did not know that. Yes, it is a horrible "business". I wish people would not buy mink clothing. :(

Yes, this virus is really weird it seems. It attacks people in different ways and affects every organ it seems (not every organ in each person). It creates psychological issues, physical issues. Who knows what the long term damage is being done. It creates strokes. Some people will be fine, normal with blood oxygen levels shockingly low/bad and then the person just drops and deteriorates rapidly. I understand it is really a bizarre virus. We really need to eradicate it. Until we get a vaccine we really need to be smart.

That is good. You are responsible and focused on important things. Some people just don't make enough sadly to save even though they are responsible. It is sad. That is why we need to invest in education as that is the best way to help people. And to provide support for those in tougher situations.

Yes, sadly you have had vet bills. :( But that is important (as is food). I worry so much about the pets of people who have lost their jobs. Those of us that can help hopefully are.

Yes!! I am sure you will. :)

Yes, but in reality in general it is not that odd. Cats do that. It happens for a variety of reasons. I think the rebound is what is most important and most telling. Some day when you are married you'll see how easy it is to "disagree" then forgive. :)

Yes, it is very impressive. Cats are amazing creatures. I am glad to hear that. I wonder if they are TNR'd................ There could be another colony. It is hard to know. If cats respect territories they can get along. It is when they challenge that or look for a mate that is when the problems happen typically. :(

Hahahaha, it was on me as well. :( And then as you get older you'll probably be more intrigued. Right now we are living through history. The important part of history is to learn so we don't repeat the same mistakes made before. Of course we still make the same mistakes but hopefully fewer!!

You sounds like a totally normal person. If we have interest we are more likely to want to learn. And if we don't it is more of a challenge. It is hard to dedicate ourselves to something we don't like. BUT as you wisely point out it is important. To get that education to get that better job that we can enjoy and then to make some money to help others. Keep focusing on the classes as a means to and end (your new school, a better education, a better job, etc). It will pay off.

Just keep doing your best and focusing on why it is important. Never give up. Work hard, do your best on everything and you will be a success. And if your "job" eventually doesn't feel like a job because you love what you are doing and you do your best every day and respect everyone then I would say that is total success. But as you say, we have to put in the "boring" work to get better situations in the future.

I think you will do great. I know you will work hard and do your best. Just stay focused. Good luck!!

Talk when you can. Totally understand you will be busy. We'll catch up when you are ready!!
Well, I thought I'd have to spend my weekend doing homework too. I still need to do some, but I don't have as much to worry about as I expected. Three essays done, the fourth I'm going to finish after my finals this coming week. Pretty much done with the one due the 4th, but scared to turn it in. I'm hoping to get the other two done by Thursday. Then I'll have until Sunday to do my fourth essay.

I certainly think we need to be careful and stay inside as much as possible at the very least until we have more information and we're all past the peak. I don't know if it's going to be reasonable to expect everyone to stay holed up in their houses until the virus is completely gone because we don't know when that's going to happen. But we need to know where the biggest risks are, how to minimize risks, what comes with the least amount of risk... Even after things start reopening, we plan on limiting our activity to things we can do outside and stay away from others until we see how things go. And I don't think we're ready to be reopening things yet!

I can only hope we do better after this and people start caring more. I'm not getting my hopes up too much though...

Well, I haven't heard anything about other animals being that bad, so it could just be because of the conditions of those animals. Their immunities probably can't handle it. But it does scare me. And I heard on the news the other day that a dog tested positive. :frown:

It is a scary virus which how many species it's gotten and how everyone is affected differently. It's really weird.

I've always been weird about saving money. I say I'm saving for something, but once I have the money I find a reason to not spend it. Then someone else ends up buying what I was saving up for as a gift.

Ember and Ash seem to be doing well enough now. Frost is still a huge crab. Sometimes he does better than others. Sometimes she can't be within five feet without his chattering and hissing and sometimes lunging/slapping. But then he'll walk right past her without a sound.

They are not TNR'd. At least not the main colony. They had kittens last summer and there are pregnant cats now. Definitely not neutered. I don't know if all the cats in the area are intact though. There's several outdoor cats that have homes. I do think they're neutered. But either way they seem to get along better than my cats!

I agree that we need to know our history to avoid repeating it, but I tend to handle short lessons better than long books/documentaries. I'd probably learn more from reading some short articles than reading a textbook. It tends to get to be a bit much for me and I can't focus for the whole chapter.

I keep changing my mind on what to do about college though. :ohwell: I'm afraid if I go for a creative writing degree then all of my classes will be boring. I'm not sure if I can handle three more years of classes I don't like. I've been thinking about going ahead and getting an animal behavior degree online. Seems like I'm pretty much just going to go online anyway.

I definitely want a job that doesn't feel like a job. If I could achieve that, I'd be happy. Of course, I want to make enough to support my animals too, but I definitely don't want to be miserable.

I probably won't be on much, if at all this coming week, but hopefully it'll all be over soon. I have most of my homework done, but I need to get notes and things together for my finals so that's what I'll be doing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
College may be hard but you are very intelligent. You can handle it!!

I didn't expect to hear from you so soon. I guess it must be going well (I am not surprised). Set small goals, accomplish them and go to the next one. Sounds like you are doing well handling the workload. Just think about the one due in a few days and just do your best. I am sure your best will be terrific!!

I totally agree with you on everything!! I have a bad feeling things will get worse. :/ People think this was it, the experts would disagree. All we can do is protect ourselves. Sadly, others getting it will put people like us at risk but can't control them. The experts think it is going to be 2 more years on and off with 70% of the country infected which would get us to herd immunity. Sadly, that will mean more than a million people will probably die. :( Let's hope they are wrong.

I hope so too but I agree with you. It probably will not change. :( I wish it would though.

The information is pretty limited on the animal impact. Let's hope it isn't bad for them. Poor dog. :(

Yes, it is a bad one. The fatality rate may not be as bad but it is so transmissible. And it affects people in many ways. It really is scary.

I don't think that is weird. It is pretty common. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. I know someone that wanted to be a "star". They ended up making it really big, really successful. Achieved everything they wanted and they thought "this is it"? Sometimes we think we want something then when we can have it it really isn't as important. Yes, I have hemmed and hawed on things and then it gets sold. But I guess if we really would have wanted it and it was worth it we would have done something?

That is great!! Yes, cats can be like that. But people can as well!! Sometimes it just happens. :/

:( It is pretty amazing. Well, ferals do need to be diplomats in order to survive. I always think ferals and their experiences help in intro'ing them and getting along. There is a skill that is needed (diplomacy) in order to survive (find protection, safety, food, etc).

Ahhhhh. Maybe just break it down in segments? And then organize them and put them together? A long story is just a bunch of short stories really. I often find books etc really slow to start with and it is hard to focus but then it all tends to come together as I get deeper into the book/story.

That is understandable. It is hard to know. You are young, you have your whole future ahead of you. You are extremely intelligent. You are wise (have a good head on your shoulders). Make sure you talk to a counselor, teachers, your mom, people in the fields you are interested in. Most people change careers several times in their lives. Having a good base of education is really important to protect yourself. Acquire skills that are in demand. I know you will make the best decision.

Yes, exactly. They are hard to find but it is possible. And it is hard to know. We think one field is good then get into it and it isn't. Then something else comes up that is really interesting. There is a saying - "Life is a Journey, Not a Destination". Meaning, prepare properly but also follow the path that is interesting as there will be many paths to take in the future (and many paths we don't even know exist right now). And of course, if we love something we are more interested in it, more dedicated and probably more successful at it.

Understandable. I actually did not expect to hear from you for a while so it was a nice surprise. Just get your notes together, study hard, don't stress, do your best. I guarantee it will be over soon!!! Then you can have some fun!! I am sure you will do well! Just do your best!!

Talk soon!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I managed to finish everything ahead of time. Apparently there was a technical difficulty with an assignment I turned in earlier this semester and my teacher hasn't updated my grade, so I'm still waiting on that but I'm otherwise completely done. I want to take the next week or two to work on some projects around the house, but then I'll start fostering.

I can't believe how many places are reopening! At this rate, it'll definitely get worse. My state doesn't seem to be reopening, at least not as much as many others are. There've been a few things tentatively being opened. People are already acting like it's over even though it's far from it. And the Anti-fur Society on Facebook said two more mink farms have had animals test positive. They believe it came from a worker there and they also found the virus in the dust particles! But no sign of closing the farms down. My animals getting sick terrifies me. Even if they don't get it as badly as we do, sick is sick. Frost has pretty much proven he'll starve himself to death when he's sick. I've been avoiding Stella's dog-friend at the park because the dog's owner doesn't seem to be too worried. I'm not sure if he realizes that dogs can get this or not. But I feel bad because Stella really likes getting to see them and she gets whiny if she spots them even in the distance.

My cats have been doing well enough. The occasional issue between Ash and Ember, but not usually anything too serious. Frost is still a major crab. Mostly towards Ember, but he chatters at me quite a bit and sometimes gives Stella and Ash a look like he's on the verge of doing so to them as well. Ash seems to have picked up going crazy at night again. I can hear him running around and it always makes me panic for a second thinking there's a fight. Then I realize there's only one cat running and he'll start yowling. He and Ember have had a few days where their zoomies overlapped in the morning (this morning included) and they've sort of played together. Not much, but it's better than nothing.

We saw Old Tom chasing a slightly smaller black cat the other day. :eek2: I think it was the same black cat I saw mating with a female. Didn't seem like much of a fight. I don't know when it started of course, but I surely didn't hear any yowling or anything. That cat was booking it! Then we saw Old Tom start walking back towards us and he flopped down on the sidewalk in front of my brother's house. He can certainly still defend his territory! And a cat had kittens in my brother's basement, so he got a hold of a rescue that apparently also does TNR. A lady came out to get the kittens and mom, but apparently it was her first job and she decided she was going to grab the mom barehanded. :doh: I'm not even sure how she got a hold of the mom, but she apparently got tore up pretty good and lost the cat so she only left with the kittens. Not sure how stupid you have to be to grab a semi-feral cat rather than use a trap, first time or not. I've never done it and I know you use a trap! But they seemed determined to get the cats TNR'd though they can't do it right now.

I've changed my mind on college probably half a dozen times since my last post. I think I'm going to do the online college for the animal health and behavior degree. They have a campus in Maine and it seems really cool. They have their own farm and working barn and lots of hands-on opportunities, but they apparently don't offer the degree I want on campus. It sucks that I don't that experience, but at least I don't have to debate on whether or not I'm going to go away for school... And it's pretty cheap, especially for a private four-year college. My grant money will probably cover a good chunk of it. I wouldn't call it a "safe" degree, but it does give me lots of options. I could do just about anything with animals other than be a vet.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWESOME!!! You sound like you think you did well also which is great!!

I know. It is crazy to reopen so quickly. We know it is easily transmitted so the more contact the more infections. :( All we can do is protect ourselves. We haven't left the house in 2 months and we don't have anyone come over. :( I don't expect we'll leave for a long long time or have anyone over. For us it is a choice between life and death. :( It is hard but has to be. I just worry about all the people at the grocery stores and other places that are at risk and can't be at home. Many people will get it and be fine but those people can give it to other people who can't handle it. It is hard. I am so glad your state isn't opening yet. That is so smart. We are going to slowly open I guess but it is crazy. But we're more cautious than many states. I feel for those states that are opening faster. I don't think the risks of your animals getting it is too high. I think a person would have to get it first. It would be pretty rare I would think if it would be brought in on clothes or shoes. I guess it is possible though so best to change clothes, wash them, wash down packages, groceries, etc. Or let things sit away out of contact for at least 3 days. If it was easily transmitted to animals I think we would be hearing more of it. I am guessing it has to actually come from a person. But who knows, I could easily be wrong. I think you are very smart staying away from Stella's friend. Just please be safe for your mom, your animals and for yourself.

They sound like they are doing well. Frost might be picking up on stress. Ash might be seeing ferals. It is really good if Ember and Ash kind of played.

Old Tom. Yep, that will happen. :( It is a tough life. Poor black kitty. Oh my. the TNR person was not experienced. I hope the person is ok. It is dangerous. Trapping can be difficult with moms and kittens and the timing is tough as well. :( I feel sorry for the person. It is nice they tried. I just hope the person is ok. A good TNR program would definitely help. I can't do TNR now because of the risks and it breaks my heart. :(

Oh, I know. It is so hard on college and thinking about careers and what to study. And everything. I think the average person changes careers like 5 times or something. And I knew people that got law degrees and never went into law!! Talk about expensive. A lot of careers are so specific that a specific degree is needed. Some it is just general skills. Your degree will be really interesting. The campus sounds really cool. It is too bad but like you said, you wont have to move (or make that decision which is hard). And if the grants cover the cost that is really great. But don't do it just for the cost. Though I know you love that field. Where do you work after that? A vet clinic? What other options? The main thing is you enjoy what you go into. Happiness is success. Being fulfilled is success. There are people very poor that are happy and fulfilled and rich people who are unhappy and miserable. I think finding something you love is really important. Of course it has to pay the bills but basic needs can be met. I am excited to hear this.

I know, I love working with animals and helping people. I have never been paid as I volunteer but it is so fulfilling. Making a difference in a life is the best.

Wow, you are so busy!! Even being done with school. But you "sound" really good. Thanks for updating us!! Exciting!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got an A in math and music and a high B in history. Right now my ethics grade is at a B, but I'm missing some points on an assignment so I'll probably have an A or at least very close to it. He's making me nervous though because he's taking his time about updating it. I'm sure he's busy, but it's driving me crazy!

We could certainly be safer, but we are taking precautions and we're not like a lot of people who just pretend like nothing is happening. I've been getting more and more cautious as it spreads to other species and new symptoms show up. I hope the animals don't get it so easily, but I certainly don't want to take my chances on hopes. I know the state next to us is working on reopening and they're doing it a bit quick. That's a little scary because people in this area tend to go back and forth a bit. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to go over there to take advantage of things opening up and potentially bring the virus from that.

Frost is stress. :ohwell: Seems like he's always chattering and hissing about something. And he's been about as bad as Ash about getting on the counter. Found the banana bread and a crescent roll.

To be honest, I have a hard time feeling bad for the lady. I'm sure it wasn't fun and I do hope she's okay, but that was really stupid. My brother's girlfriend tried to insist that she at least use a carrier and then offered to give her a blanket to use to grab the cat, but the lady refused. It should be common sense not to grab a semi-feral momma cat barehanded! I'm happy hear that the cats will be TNR'd eventually though.

I saw a lot of cats yesterday and a number of them today. I don't think I've seen that many all hanging around and on the porch at the same time before. Another black cat, another orange cat, Old Tom, plus a few gray and/or tortie cats. Yesterday there were three cats who ran across the street. The second one was a black and white cat I'd never seen before and the third was a gray/tortie that was limping. I hope it's injury wasn't too bad. It seemed to still be getting around alright despite not really using one leg. And none of them seemed to be fighting at that time. They ran, but no raised hackles or hissing or anything. I saw the black and white one again today. It seems weird that I never saw this cat before and now I've seen it twice. Today he was at the bottom of the stairs of the porch and Old Tom was at the top. This new one seems comfortable and didn't even act at all nervous as I walked by, so I've no clue where it came from or why I haven't seen it before.

It is a bit disappointing to not go to campus. My mom said we could go check it out sometime, but I don't think there's a point. No reason to tempt myself if I can't get my degree on campus. I'm definitely not do it for the cost. There's another college I could probably get free tuition to which I was considering, but no animal behavior degree there. The cost is more a benefit. I could do almost anything, really. I like this degree because it's so broad and doesn't limit you to domestic or wild animals. I could be a vet tech (probably with some additional training), go to work in a sanctuary, rescue, rehabilitation center, shelter, zoo... It would be a good foundation to become a dog trainer/behaviorist or cat behaviorist as well. The more I think about it, the more I like this college too. It's too bad about not going to the campus, but it's supposed to be one of the best green schools, very eco-friendly, all about sustainability. And if I end up having to give my money to a college, then I think that sounds like a good one to give it to. I'd like to support a place like that. And with it being online, we could move whenever we're ready. No need to worry about timing it around college.

It really is the most fulfilling thing. I'd much rather be able to do that work for free, but we'll see. I'll always volunteer, but I will have to make money some way.

I am good. A little stress left over that ethics assignment, but I'm through most of that. I feel like I'm figuring college out (though I've felt like that before) and I'm excited to foster.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: :hyper: :clap2: I knew you would do great!!!

Yes, do your best to be as staying safe. Social distance, wash hands, don;t touch your face, etc. Yes, I hope the animals don't get it easily. And if they do they can handle it. Yes, that is the problem. An area opening while others try to be safe. Then movement via driving or by plane. It is going to be a long slog until we get a vaccine sadly. :(

:( Yep. Especially now since we all are so stressed in general so it just feels more amplified. He sounds like my girl. ALWAYS after breads. :( I will say, the banana bread sounds really good!!! I can't blame him. I would have jumped on your counter to eat that!!

I know. But I have done dumb things as well. Sometimes we don't think. I am guessing she may not wanted the blanket due to Covid. Who knows. I am glad they will be TNR'd at some point.

:( Yes, I think that is going to be common with TNR being reduced. :(

Yes, it would be nice to be on campus. But who knows if the campus will be open until the vaccine comes? It would be cool to go there at some point and check it out. Sounds really cool. WOW, that sounds awesome. I can tell how excited you are!!! I am so proud of you!!! That should be really interesting, a lot of fun. Sounds really great!!! Yes, it does make it a lot easier with moving.

Yes, sadly bills do get in the way. :(

Yes, you sounds really good. Yeah, the ethics should resolve fine. Don't stress. I think you are figuring college out. But I am not surprised. Not only are you highly intelligent but you are wise, mature. Great combination!!! Yes, now to the really fun stuff, fostering!! Well deserved for all the work you have put in this year at college!!

You are awesome!!! Just in case you couldn't tell what I think of you. ;)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to be careful and take precautions, but I'd be lying if I said we were staying inside 24/7 doing nothing. I still go to work which is getting a little scary because no one there has taken to wearing a mask other to get animals from the owners and that building is very small. We're always almost running into each other as we try to turn into the other room and I have my doubts that there's six feet between some of the walls. That's probably the biggest risk I'm taking. Otherwise we do our best to keep distance between us and anyone else when we do go in public spaces.

I'm starting to wonder how many times Ash took the blame for something Frost did! We always blame Ash because he's the one we catch the most. Ash is still the worst though. He's the one who usually goes for the bready things. Cookies, cakes, breads... But who knows about all the times we didn't see it?

I didn't think anyone would even try trapping a feral or semi-feral cat without an actual trap. I wouldn't just walk into a house and catch a semi-feral with the thickest blanket in the world. How does one even manage grab such a cat? I'm surprised she didn't just run off.

I haven't seen any kittens yet. I'm guessing most of them are still hidden away. Usually I can see them hunkered under cars or they'll run off into the people's backyard when I get near. So far all adults. I haven't seen the one slender tortie that was pregnant in a while. I'm guessing she probably had her babies. I did see Old Tom rolling around in the grass like he got his paws on some catnip yesterday. :lol: It was kind of cute watching that grumpy, old-looking cat roll around like a kitten in the sun. The black and white cat was there again too and I can't figure out where that cat came from! I never saw him before and now I've seen him three days. He acts like everything is totally normal and pretty much completely ignores me. He's probably the least fearful of the cats I've seen.

My mom saw a post on Facebook that somebody she knows knows somebody whose dog had puppies and was advertising them for free. My mom got in contact with the shelter who agreed to take them, but then the guy posted asking for a $20 "donation" for the pups. The shelter won't pay for them, but offered to take all the pups and get his dog spayed for free so my mom is trying to get word to him in hopes he'll agree. If not, we may go pick up any that don't get homes. He's bringing them to the local park in our town on Sunday. Here's hoping he agrees to give the puppies to the shelter and get his dog spayed.

Nothing is certain right now, that's for sure. That's only thing that's certain! As of right now, my current school is planning on staying closed for summer, but is offering on-campus classes for the fall. I'm guessing that'll probably change. I got all my classes set up for online anyway so I don't have to worry about it.

Still haven't gotten my ethics grade changed and it's making me nervous last day to update them is the 18th. I sent him an email today, but I hope I don't annoy him.

Thank you. Sometimes I don't feel awesome. It's nice to hear.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Well, hopefully no one has it. Working/being around people in small spaces for long times is a risky proposition. Hopefully everyone stays healthy. Hopefully the people bringing the pets have masks on. The the vet employees have N95s. Yes, just do your best.

Hahahahaha, yep. Some are VERY good at not being caught. ;)

Yeah, sometimes it has to happen. :( Usually using bite gloves. Blankets less ideal. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do with what you have. :/ It isn't easy, definitely not recommended but I have had to do it. :(

Yeah, the kittens should be coming out soon.Old Tom does sound cute. The black and white one sounds like he is wanting to stay around that colony.

Oh my. Yes, I HOPE he does. I am guessing people might need money more than usual so.................... :( Really nice of the shelter to offer that help. That is great!! Fingers crossed.

So true. But life is very uncertain though we think it isn't as much as it really is. BUT this is really different. Yes, I think it will probably change. We'll probably have another wave or two by year end. Hopefully not but I am guessing we'll be going through this. The more we get complacent the more likely it comes back. Great that you have your classes set up.

:( I would guess he is just busy. I wouldn't worry about bothering him, just be respected. I think he would understand.

You are welcome. EVERYONE doesn't feel awesome at times and a lot of the time. That is normal. Everyone is more similar than you think. Some just hide it better. I will say, I haven't found you not awesome yet...............

Stay safe!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope they don't. Fortunately, there aren't very many people and I tend to get there within the last half hour of them being open, so I spend most of my time pretty much alone. The vet has a couple of (adult) sons who tend to hang out there, but they typically stay in their rooms and don't come out much.

Ember is pretty good about not being caught. Or even if she is, she's gone before you even realize you caught her. She knows we can't see her in the dark so she'll be up there practically right in front of us. Then if one of us goes in there we can hear her jump down before we get the light on. The only sign it's her is her fleeing the room. Ash just flat out doesn't care. He doesn't care you're not impressed with him being up there, he doesn't care if you're right there, he doesn't care what you do as a consequence. So we definitely catch him the most.

Well, I'm not sure why they would've had to do it this time. It's not like my brother and his girlfriend wouldn't let them set up a trap. His girlfriend wants to help these cats as much as I do. Couldn't they have used the kittens to lure the mom into a cage?

Haha. Old Tom looks like the kind to fight you for calling him cute. He looks like he's constantly judging you. He's gotten used to us walking by though. No longer even prepares to run. The mystery of the black and white cat continues to bug me. Where did he come from? And I'm not sure why I refer to it as "he." Old Tom doesn't seem the type to tolerate males much and it seems like he's usually around when I see the black and white cat.

So the man said he has five people who he knows that want puppies, but the shelter might be able to take the other four. My mom has been communicated to him through the lady she knows, but she passed on her phone number so hopefully the man would get in contact. Unfortunately, we have heard nothing back and honestly don't know what to do. They're supposed to be at the park tomorrow morning. The shelter would prefer they get all the puppies, but are willing to take whatever they can get and still get his dog spayed.

I'm pretty confident we'll have at least one more wave because things are opening up too quickly. We're going to cause it to ourselves.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. The less contact the better. It is going to be a challenge once people go back to work. Hopefully people wear masks.

Hahahaha, yep. I have cats exactly like that. Two that don't like being caught while one other just doesn't care at all. I shouldn't laugh but I deal with that all the time. I know exactly your situation. Cats are cats.

I know. My guess time issues. Availability issues. A lot of us can't go out and do that so only younger and more inexperienced people are available. I know, it doesn't make sense but there might be a reason we don't know. Traps could be in short supply, bite gloves, etc. This virus has caused a lot of issues that aren't normal.

Hahahaha. I kinda like Old Tom even though he is naughty sometimes. He is accepting you, pretty cool. I know, cats come from somewhere. I am thinking you are right, probably a female. Just check the head and neck. Food does attract cats though. But accepting is another thing. I had a black and white one that was coming around but my one feral chased him off. :( He was a gorgeous cat.

:( All your mom can do is her best. She is really doing great. It is hard, who knows if the guy just wants money. :( Make sure she stays safe. There are some mean people out there. The rescue is really trying to help. It is great. Let's hope the guy does care and takes them up on your mom and the rescue's offer.

:( Yep. Sadly. I saw someone on TV with a sign "Selfish and Proud" in some state. I was like "serious"? People think it is a joke, it is fake. I just don't understand. We are more dependent on each other now than any time recently. Not sure I trust a lot of the people though. But a lot of people were doing the right things for the last 2 months but going forward? Well, we just have to do out best and try to stay safe. What else can we do?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indeed. I hope they do, but there are a lot of people who still aren't taking this seriously. I get tired of the people who act like it's only their life affected if they get affected. No one bothers to consider to amount of people they'd affect before even getting symptoms.

Frost doesn't seem too bothered about being caught which is part of what makes me think he doesn't do it quite as often as Ash does, but he's not quite as flippant as Ash is either. Ember absolute dislikes any sign of aggression even if it's just a raised voice, but every now and then she catches a scent that has her on counters and unwilling to get off.

It's hard to imagine an excuse for that behavior, but I suppose. I have a trap that I would've been more than happy to lend to them if that were the case, but of course I had no idea any of that even happened and the lady never gave a reason why she grabbed the cat barehanded.

I found Old Tom curled up against my brother's house. I thought he was dead again! I couldn't see him breathing at all. Then he moved when I got closer. He just barely lifted his head and watched us walk by. I talked to him a bit and he had this tired and disgruntle look on his face like he really didn't appreciate me disturbing his nap. Well, they certainly have enough food. I'm still amazed at how overweight some of them are and I'll see food sitting out sometimes. They really must get fed a lot for so many of them to be overweight and there still be food left. I'm afraid that'll make it harder for them to be TNR'd though. I doubt they're hardly ever hungry. It amazes me just how comfortable the black and white cat is though. Hardly spares me a glance when I go by.

Well, the guy upped the price to $50. He said because of the number of people interested and to avoid sketchy people. I'm glad he at least did that, but I'm afraid he's going to think "Hey, I can make some money this way" and end up intentionally breeding his dog. And it seems to show that doesn't care too much about getting his dog spayed. We went to the park around noon to see if he was there, but didn't see him. It was raining a bit and we didn't stay long, but there was no sign of that happening. Now I just looked at his Facebook post. I forgot to check before. He commented a day ago that four got homes. He said he had five people he knew and he didn't even sell all of those. He still hasn't gotten in contact with us and the shelter said they'd take however many he'd give them and still get his dog spayed. So now I'm really worried he's thinking he can make some money this way and he could end up breeding his dog. Why else pass up on a free spay and risk getting stuck with puppies?

It's ridiculous, really. The problem with the world isn't that people are ignorant, but that people don't care and this proves that. What do you do about people who know but still don't care? You can teach people, inform them, but you can't make them care. And it's scary when you do have to go out because you don't know if you're going to run into those people.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO true. Sadly. :(

Isn't it interesting how they are so unique? I am not surprised to hear that for each cat.

I wonder what it was. Lack of experience? Maybe. Extenuating circumstances? My best guess. But we never know. Trapping can take some time and she may not have had the time. :(

Hahahaha, Old Tom OWNS that AND he accepts you. That is a confident cat. Yes, too much food does make it hard to TNR. :( With that much food I am not surprised they are overweight. :( But at least they wont fight over food.................... I like Old Tom, he is one cool cat.

I think you are probably correct. :/ Not good. Hopefully he is responsible and does vet but ..................................... It is hard but what can you do? You all are doing everything you can.

So true. Some people are ignorant but that is excusable for several reasons. We should do everything possible to educate but we tend not to care about people in more difficult situations. This country lets a lot of people down sadly. :( But I agree, it is the worst when people know, are educated and chose selfishness etc over caring. You are exactly correct. We can't make people care. They only care when it affects them. I HOPE that this virus changes that and maybe this country, world start thinking of others but I fear it may not change things much. I will say, it is people like you that give my generation hope the country and world will get better.