Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. That is scary. :( Thank goodness everything ended up ok. Whew.

Yeah, it is tricky. Just do your best.

WOW!! :/ I LOVE GSs. 8 yrs old is still pretty young. She will find a home.

That is really good. I am guessing they would do ok with a bigger dog as long as the big dog doesn't go after them etc.

:/ At least it wasn't bad. If they rebound quickly then it is a good sign.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it wasn't fun. I'm pretty tired of all the dogs running loose. It's ridiculous. And you can't do anything about it on the weekends. Animal control is closed and police won't get involved unless the dog actually attacks someone.

GSDs are my favorite breed. I want one very badly. It's hard to see all these lovely GSDs come into the shelter. My cousins have a huge GSD that I'd love to have as well. They're truly wonderful dogs.

I do think a big dog will bring about some challenges. I don't think the cats will immediately take to it, but I agree. As long as the dog doesn't chase them, I think they'd adapt and get used to it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( No, I know. I wish people were more responsible. But sometimes a dog just gets out or the leash breaks etc. I am surprised the police wouldn't help. :( Yes, animal control is not always available. Ughhhhhhhh

Mine too. I just love them. I also just love all big dogs. Dobbies, Akitas, mixes, etc. I know, sometimes people want them but then they don't give them what they need. :/

Yeah, but you might be surprised. It really comes down to how the dog is. I had a BIG dobbie/gs mix that the cats LOVED (probably because she was very cat like). It just depends. I think you are right, they will adapt and you have a good instinct so you will help them a lot.

If I wasn't full up right now I would go to the shelter and get another GS......................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This dog is a known escape artist. My brother lives across the street from the cat house and this house is next door to that house, so they've seen the dog get loose. I've no idea how he's loose so often when they keep him on a tie out in a fenced in backyard. Their pitbull has gotten loose and we took that dog around looking for her home. We called the police about the pitbull because of course it was a day we had plans and had no clue where the dog lived.

Big dogs are great. GSDs are my favorite as far as personality goes and the breed I want the most, but I love huskies/husky mixes. The Alaskan huskies are bred for work rather than looks and I'd still take one of them over a purebred show Siberian Husky anytime. I don't care for show lines. Akitas are pretty dogs too. I guess I like the more natural/wild/wolfish looks.

Well, I'm certainly open to being surprised! I think it'll definitely take some time, but I'd be happy if they could all get along.

I was full 2 animals ago... I'm thinking about trying to take my cousins' GSD when we move though... Sort of makes me want to move sooner.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Some are. Ughhhhhhhhhh He must jump the fence. :(

I agree!! Dobbies have really good personalities as well. I love Huskies as well. Rotties I love. Ok, I LOVE all big dogs!!! Hahahahaha

I think you will be able to get them to get along. You are very good at that.

Hahahahaha. Oh my, I am 4 ahead of you :O That makes me FULL FULL. ;) Oh my, I don't think your cousin would like that......... I hear you though.

I was at the pet store yesterday and this HUGE dog (mix) came up, sat down and leaned on me and almost knocked me over. I LOVED IT!!! Totally sweet dog. I just wan them all............ :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come here and teach mine how NOT to ask me to play 3-4 times a day. :D
Cats do like to make things difficult, don't they? Mine go back and forth on whether they'll play at all.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Some are. Ughhhhhhhhhh He must jump the fence. :(

I agree!! Dobbies have really good personalities as well. I love Huskies as well. Rotties I love. Ok, I LOVE all big dogs!!! Hahahahaha

I think you will be able to get them to get along. You are very good at that.

Hahahahaha. Oh my, I am 4 ahead of you :O That makes me FULL FULL. ;) Oh my, I don't think your cousin would like that......... I hear you though.

I was at the pet store yesterday and this HUGE dog (mix) came up, sat down and leaned on me and almost knocked me over. I LOVED IT!!! Totally sweet dog. I just wan them all............ :(
I had a husky come up to us yesterday morning! I almost kept him. My neighbor and I went after him because he ran off and I thought I knew where he lived. I went on foot and she drove. He was wary of us though. He went back to his yard though and when I went into the yard to go knock on the door, he came up to me and I was able to clip a leash onto his collar. A young girl answered the door when I knocked and it was their dog, as I thought. Pretty red and white husky with blue eyes. He was pretty calm too and there was a white cat in their yard that he walked up to and sniffed, but seemed to do well with it. The cat went onto the porch with us.

I can't say I've ever actually met a Dobbie. There were a couple down the street, but they were kind of crazy. My cousins had a Rottie some years ago. I love all dogs and all big dogs, but nothing beats a GSD or husky in my opinion. Though I'm perfectly happy with any mutt. I've found it just feels right walking with a big dog.

Ah, well the limit is different for everyone. Full for me doesn't have to be full for you! My cousin has already offered to give me the dog, so probably not an issue. He's actually supposed to be one of the (grown) kids' dog, but the kid never took care of him and has since moved out. Apparently he's talked about taking Zeus (dog) if he gets a big house with a yard, but his dad (my cousin who offered me the dog) doesn't think it's likely. Well, he has about a year and a half to take Zeus before I come for him.:p

Haha. That's awesome. That's the sort of dog Zeus is. Huge, 140lb+ GSD and he likes to lean against you.

So. I fell in love. With a dog. Her name is Leia. She's a GSD mix that looks a bit like a coyote. Very slight, narrow dog. Very sweet and affectionate, but also very skittish. She doesn't trust people and is scared of new places, but it only took a few treats before she was wagging her tail for me and within ten minutes she was rolling on her back to get belly rubs. Apparently she didn't do too well for one of her meets though. The guy kept trying to pet over her head and spooked her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, excitement. I bet the dog was pretty!!

Really? Wow. Dobbies are really sweet (typically). Yes, they can be wild......... I totally agree, I LOVE big dogs!!!

True.... ;) Wow, very cool. I think you may be adding another one........ ;)

Wow, I LOVE Zeus already!!!! Hahahahaha

Awwwwwwww, such a sweetie. She sounds ADORABLE!!! The guy doesn't seem like a good fit. He should know better...... You sure knew how to do it!!! :)

I want another dog now................ :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was beautiful. Not a fan of him running loose but at least he was pretty calm and backed off when I said no.

Well, I heard they have a Dobbie mix in quarantine at the shelter, so maybe I'll meet one. I don't judge dogs off of their behavior in a fenced in yard since most dogs get a little crazy like that, but they're owner did ask I stay away because the dogs could get a bit aggressive with each other.

Or two or three... Lol. It's hard. I've no idea if I can afford to feed more than one more dog, especially when Zeus is so big, but I'd sure love to get another dog or two.

He's really awesome. He has a bad habit of nipping if you stop petting him or if he thinks you will. He gets restless when the other dogs around and stands in front of me so I can't ignore him, but he's really quite gentle for his size and super friendly.

I love her. I visited her today. Actually, I planned on going to work with Zeus. I want to start working with him sometimes to see if I can help build some confidence, break some of his bad habits, and lower his anxiety. But they have the flu over there, so I changed plans. Leia seems to be getting more comfortable though. I'm not sure if she's just getting more familiar with me or if she's settling in, but she didn't act so nervous when I went up to the kennel. We walked outside, did some training, and she started playing with me. She's a little mouthy, but very gentle and loves belly rubs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can imagine and he sounds fairly well behaved. At least he backed off.

Why is the dog quarantined? Yes, that is understandable, some dogs will go crazy when a stranger comes around.

:) I know the feeling...................

Awwwwww. Yes some dogs will do that but it tends to be more gentile. Normal to get funny around other dogs. Gentile is a good trait. Sounds like a wonderful dog!!!

Awwwwwww. I think she is probably easy to fall in love with. I hope they get over the flu, good idea to not go over. You will have plenty of time to work with Zeus. I am so glad she is settling in. She probably remembered you. That helps with settling in when a friendly face is there as well (returning). She loves to play. So sweet. Gentile again which is great and too funny loving belly rubs!!! ADORABLE!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he was actually kind of hard to catch. He was more interested in dogs than people.

They quarantine all their incoming dogs I think for at least a week. Just as a precaution. Even Stella will bark aggressively if someone walks by while she's in her territory.

He really is wonderful and it's so sad no one else sees that. They just see his issues. I love how such big dogs can be so gentle. Stella is no where near that gentle, especially when taking treats. Zeus is really just lacking in some love. I think if he'd be more stable if he got that love and attention. He's just scared of losing it when he has it. And he's already used to be around all sorts of animals. All smaller than him!

She is very easy to fall in love with. Her looks alone tend to draw people in. But I definitely got even more attached to her than I have pretty much any other dog I've met, and quicker! She's so cute when she opens up to you. When she wants to play, she darts off and does the play bow before jumping up and running back to you. She'll roll on the ground and kick you with her feet. :lol: It makes it even harder to see her shut down and scared though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is often the way they are. :/

Ahhhhh, yes. I thought it was for some reason rather than normal precaution. Whew, that is good. Yep, some dogs will while others just ignore. Just depends.

That is sad. But someone will see that. I do too. My least gentile dog was also my smallest ever. Go figure. :/ Love really does matter. I take in abused, neglected dogs and see how much love matters. It takes time often but they do respond to love in my experience. Zeus sounds like a great dog.

I can imagine. I love when a dog begins to trust like that and get comfortable. It warms my heart really when that happens. It doe make it harder to a dog then shut down and get scared but it is a process and the fact you can get her to get comfortable and open up is a good step forward to learning to get more trust etc. She sounds so adorable. I am in love with her and I haven't even seen her!! She sounds wonderful!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the dog should be out of quarantine now. I doubt I'll be able to get up there until Friday though.

Unfortunately, there's not much of chance of anyone else seeing that in Zeus. It's not like they're actively looking to rehome him. He's been with the same people for years. So it's sort of me or them. I don't think I'll be really ready for another dog when we move, but it seems better than nothing. The fact that he's overweight scares me a bit since GSDs are known for hip and elbow dysplasia.

Leia got adopted yesterday. :D:yess::frown::bawling2: It's amazing how many emotions you can go through when a dog gets adopted, especially one you got attached to. I'm so happy she has a home and she looked so happy in the pictures and videos they posted. But it's sad that I might not ever see her again and, if I'm being honest, I'm a bit envious that isn't my home she playing happily in. And then I feel bad for being upset when I should just be happy for her. But it's all for the best. She has a good home and I didn't do something terrible by bringing another dog into my house.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. Friday isn't too bad. Would be nice to see the dobbie.

You will figure it out. Yeah, overweight is not good BUT hopefully he can lose some weight. Yes, they do have that in their genes. :( One of mine had that. :(

WOW!!! THAT was fast!! I know, the emotions are mixed. I always worry it is a good home. It is hard especially when you get attached. SO hard. SO many emotions. Yes, envy is one of them. But things happen for reasons. AND if it is a good home then it is good. I am pretty demanding on homes and people so I always worry. I think you are handling it well. But I know what you mean, it is hard. :/ But so good that she found a great home!!! VERY cool!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the "unique" breeds get adopted fast though. Or someone fosters them. I never really know who I'm going to see when I go up there.

I wish I could just move now and take him with me. I'm not sure I'll be up there enough to get the weight off of him. Maybe a little. My main focus is just trying to prove that he doesn't need forceful and physical methods for training. And start breaking the bad habits that result is such methods, of course.

I'm not really sure if it was faster than I expected or quicker. With her breed/looks, I wouldn't have expected her to be there for more than a week, maybe two. But with her nervous temperament, I would have expected it to take months. I do hope it's a good home. I always wonder about the nervous dogs, if their adopter understands just what they're getting into and how their lives are going to change. Leia seemed comfortable in her new home though. I really miss her! Honestly, other than with the foster puppies, I've found that I can usually let go and move on once the dog gets adopted. It hasn't been so easy with Leia.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true.

I know, but I think you can probably achieve a lot. It would be great if you could do that.

Yes, it is tricky. HOPEFULLY they know the personality and understand the issues etc. Fingers crossed. OR that she settles down in the right home. That is impressive you can accept so well. :/ Yes, I understand about how hard it is for some of them.......... She sounds wonderful.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Zeus certainly deserves everything I can give him and more. I hate seeing working dogs who have no job or anything to do. People think the dogs that have to work are the ones that have it bad, but that's what they were meant for. To them, there's nothing better than working alongside their person. Especially for a breed like a GSD.

She certainly seemed like she settled down pretty quickly. They most videos of her playing with a toy and chewing on a Kong the same day they got her. I mean, I was there Friday and hung out with her. The pictures and videos were posted Saturday evening. So she couldn't have been there long. I was surprised to see her so settled. I think I tend to accept it well enough because I try not to let myself think about the "what ifs." I don't let me adopting them become an option, so it's less of a let down. But sometimes it's hard not to think of those "what ifs" or "maybes."

I also might be getting a job at the shelter. I'm supposed to have an interview this Friday.