Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And a normal cat ;)

:( Sadly. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes, basic foundation classes should transfer. Just look into it so you don't waste any money. Yes, finding out where to live is hard IF it isn't job or school related. Or basically a specific almost forced reason.

I can see that in you. Empathy is a great trait to have I think. Yes, it is hard but sometimes we can't do anything either. :( I agree, if everyone stood in the shoes of the other person just maybe the world would be a little better.

SO TRUE. Someone just gave up a 14 yr old dog. Some "non excuse". The rescue had him and he is the sweetest dog. Now he is adopted but how can someone just give a dog away for no reason? They don't imagine what it may feel like. A lot of people only care about themselves. I have seen it all too often. I just could not do that. I could never abandon someone. :( We need education and some thinking of others...................................

That is fantastic to hear!! I hope the others get homes soon too with good parents. Oh my!! Palmer. Hehehehehe That is REALLY COOL your mom made a blanket for them. REALLY cool!!! Awwwwww, they do that (Nicholson)< my one girl will do that all the time if she wants love. She WILL NOT get off me. It is really cute. They are very creative on names!! Yes, if you watch the news they mention McIlroy and then Palmer is Arnie Palmer who was really famous for years and Nicholson is Jack Nicholson who is an actor that plays golf. He actually hits golf balls from his house into the canyon behind his house. I don't care about sports either but I pick up on it from family. Makes sense they were found on a golf course!!! Yeah, they do have sharp nails. Nothing to wear them down. I don;t mind getting scratched, it happens all the time and reminds me to trim.

Oh my. Hopefully the ferals don't cause behavioral issues. Can your brother close it off? They could cause a lot of problems in the basement with peeing, etc. Not to mention with the cats in the house and also bringing in parasites etc.

Awwwwwwww. Ember. Yeah, I have no idea about you tuube other than watching it on the computer and I don;t know how to take videos or pictures or anything. :(

I LOVE Shepherds!! You two may be worse than me falling in love with everyone!!! Hahahahaha. That is cool. He sounds ADORABLE!! :( That would be cool if your brother did take him. But I am sure he will get a great home. That is an easy dog to adopt out.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a normal cat. Which is why I need a dog in my life. Lol. I love my cats, but a dog is a nice change of pace. And vice versa!

Speaking of people who shouldn't have animals, there's a place I walk by on my morning walk. They have a female pittie that's gotten loose once and now I'm really wishing I hadn't brought her back. Should've just taken her up to a shelter. She'd had puppies when I found her. I heard them crying in the house when I took her back. She's kept on a tie-out and the pup they still have is loose. I figured he'd be wandering of and I'd be grabbing him, but today I saw him trying to mate with his mother. :frustrated:

I hope so! We're working on figuring out where we're going to live, so that way I can find a college and get classes to go to that school and degree. Deciding where to go is hard because we can't afford the places we like.

It can be a hard trait to have too! Sometimes there's a bit too much, but still worth having it.

That's awful. My shelter gets 7-9 year old dogs fairly often and I think that's bad, but 14 is ridiculous. What reason could you have to give up a dog that probably doesn't even have that much longer? Sometimes I don't think people realize just how much of a commitment animals are. They don't look far enough into the future. Of course, that's still no reason to get rid of them later on just because things are a bit hard. I'll admit we didn't when we ended up with these four, but they aren't going anywhere. My life will be figured out around them.

I do too. They're such lovely cats. Palmer was actually the first I got attached to. He was a bit more timid when I got him out the first time for pictures. When I set him on the table, he got a bit scared, so I got down on my knees and he curled up against my chest and purred. Unfortunately, Nicholson is still on their site. I haven't been at the shelter to know if they just haven't updated it, but they have added dogs. Though sometimes it ends up taking longer to finalize the adoption than they plan. I've seen a dog there for a week or so after someone said they were taking him home. Well, I don't watch the news much, so that probably explains that. I probably could've figured it out if I really thought about it, but sometimes I forget the names do usually come from somewhere. I don't mind being scratched. At least not enough to stop me from playing with and holding them, but I am allergic, so I need to be somewhat careful.

I don't know. Might need to be fixed. Their house wasn't in great condition when they bought it. The inside it mostly fixed, but the outside could still use some work.

I'll figure it out. She brought me the mouse is my room the other night. I think it's back in the basket now.

We all love shepherds. My brother and I were just talking about how much we love huskies and shepherds and now there's a shepherd. I am terrible about falling in love with animals. My mom isn't as bad as me, but it happens. My brother doesn't seem to be falling for it though. We want to get the dog and just show up at his door. He will get a home quickly though. He's younger than I thought. He's around 3 years and I thought he'd be more like 7-9. He just has the look of a sweet old gentleman. He doesn't seem as intense and drive-y as most GSDs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha. YEP!!! That is so funny, I feel that way at times as well. I LOVE cats but I LOVE dogs as well. They are the Ying and the Yang to make life better.

:( Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh. Not your fault. The authorities would have done the same. I just wish people would know the right thing or do the right thing (IF they know). :/

It is hard. Especially when it is pretty wide open (meaning there isn't a specific reason to move to a certain place). Just think it through since it is a big decision.

Totally, so true!!

Yep. Selfishness probably. I can understand if someone is too feeble or are having money issues etc but when there is no reason other than you don't care then that is not right. It is frustrating. Happens too often. People are just so self absorbed and only care about themselves or something that benefits them (of course not all people). It is the Facebook culture.

Awwwww, that is so cute. I am guessing they just didn't update him. They probably were just busy or forgot. It is best to just wash a scratch just in case. Not always possible but best to do it.

I would definitely fix whatever is allowing them to get in. Even if it isn't pretty and is temporary.

Awwwwwwww, she is SO CUTE!!!

I do too. I am a big dog person. I fall in love too easily as well. :/ Hahahahaha, your mom sounds like she does as well. ;) Yes, he will get adopted quickly. Dogs are much easier to adopt than cats. He sounds AWESOME!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indeed. I don't really know why people think one has to be better than the other. If you ask me, they're better together! They both have pros and cons. People ask which I like better and I say, "It depends on the day."

It's so annoying. I've honestly been thinking about grabbing the pup and taking him to a shelter as a stray. As far as I'm aware, he's still loose and has thought about coming up to me. If I just walked by in front of their house, he'd probably follow. Nothing good can come from a pup mating with his mother. We don't need more puppies, let alone inbred ones.

We're both hooked on Vermont, but it's expensive. We're both in love though.

Honestly, it's another issue with not looking ahead when you get an animal. With an animal that age, I don't think there's much of a reason to send them to a shelter. I can understand health issues can become an issue, but it's something to think about when you get the animal. I always feel awful for the older dogs. I'd like to foster them if I could, but of course I can't. Though Stella is doing much better with other dog.

Last I saw, Nicholson was still up there, but he still had a thing saying adoption pending. It probably just took longer than expected. They did a sale for Black Friday and apparently got a bunch of animals adopted out.

Apparently Ember's mouse is a free-range mouse now. Mostly in my room. She brings in in my room at night and sometimes moves it during the day.

I love big dogs. Huskies and shepherds are my favorites. But Denzel has gone to foster to adopt. We were planning on taking him out for the day tomorrow, but now we can't do that. I want to figure out someone else to take, but not sure who will do okay with Stella since we were thinking about getting her out too and get her used to being around bigger dogs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AGREED!! Well, people have preferences. Some people only want boys or girls as children. Is it just human nature for some people. People ask me and I answer "both" which is the truth. They are different but fulfilling. I love them.

:( I know but don't do anything that could get you in trouble. Sadly, what is right doesn't always matter in situations like this. :( I hear you, it might be best for animal control to get involved but then who knows what retribution might happen. Ughhhh, it is not easy AND it is tough to see.

Oh wow. There was a TV show in the 80s (called Newhart) based in Vermont.It sure created a nice image. Would be nice if true if there is someplace that could be friendly and nice to live. I have never been there but I hear it is nice. It must be if you like it!!

Yep. It is something. I feel terrible for older dogs. I understand things happen but when there is no reason................. I know a few people that take older dogs which is great. But it is hard to deal with the inevitable loss that happens so often. Have to be a strong emotion person. And fostering is hard because we become attached. Ohhhhhhhhhh, there is always something to consider.

I would guess Nicholson is going to be fine. I hope that the people on the Black Friday sale are committed and it isn't just a whim. :/

Awwwwwwww, she LOVES that mouse!! HOW CUTE IS THAT?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah. Me too. Oh wow. I am sure you will find someone. It will be interesting to see how Stella does. And of course, how the other dog responds to Stella. I knew someone who fostered a big dog and it hurt the little dog even though there was never an indication the big dog didn;t like little (or other) dogs. Have to always be aware. Even with experience it can be surprising. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sure. I can understand why someone wouldn't want one or the other. They take two different mindsets. Some people don't have the right mindset for a cat or the right one for a dog. That doesn't make one better than the other though. Just better for a particular person.

I don't think anything would happen. I don't want to go into their yard and snag the dog, but it's their own fault if it follows me. I don't think animal control would do anything as long as the dogs are in the yard. They won't even come out at all on the weekends. But I can't just sit back and watch these people not only add puppies to this world, but add inbred puppies to the world and endanger the female dog to overbreeding and pyometra.

I don't think it's as much of a paradise as a lot of people make it out to be. Frigid winters, lots of ice. Heavy, wet snow. They have "mud season" instead of spring. But a lot of good too. Beautiful falls, cool summers, lots of local foods. The people are supposedly a bit reserved, but there to help when you need it and willing to let others live their lives without judgement. It just depends on what you're looking for. What you want and what you need.

It's terrible. My shelter got some more dogs in. Two younger pups, a medium sized lab mix, and one that looks like a tiny lab mix. I took the two pups and the tiny one out for a walk. I think the smallest is already getting adopted. The pups are brothers. Both are a bit skittish, but one more the other. That one is a nearly solid black dog named Bear who looks like a small black shepherd. Love him. So sweet. Very nervous though. A family wanted to look at him while I had him out. Two adults with three young kids and apparently a 2 year old who wasn't there. They were interested in adopting him, but I sure hope they don't. He's too nervous to be thrown into a house with four kids. He needs someone who has the time to help him gain confidence. I barely got him to stick around the kids with food and it seemed like right when he was getting better, he went downhill real fast. But I hung out in his kennel with him and he was super sweet, loving, and even a bit playful.

Almost all the kittens were cleared out of the shelter, including the three brother we loved. It's almost all new faces there now, except a couple of older, nearly full grown cats. Jade is a really pretty, long-haired, solid black cat. He's really sweet. I hope so too about the adoptions, but one thing is that most of the animals adopted were kittens. Kittens don't seem to be returned quite as frequently. Only four dogs were adopted and I think a couple were actually foster-to-adopt rather than actual adoption.

It's cute, but she's been leaving it the hall lately so now I'm always stepping on and kicking it.

Well, we ended up not taking anyone out because of the weather, but we still got up there and hung out. That would be the above story about Bear. Big dogs don't really have to try to hurt a little dog. Just playing can do it. Heck, even just walking! My cousins 140-lb GSD stepped on the daschund's foot. I'll definitely be careful. Wouldn't have another dog off-leash around Stella anyway. If Bear is still there next weekend, I'd like to get him out. He's bigger than Stella, but not very big.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree. It is always interesting to see people that say "I am not a cat person" then they fall in love with cats.

I hear you. It is a hard position to be in. Just be smart. You have to come first. It would be so much easier if people would be responsible and do the right thing. :/

Oh yes, no place is perfect. I agree. I always think a safe place and a place you can find a good job and live with that income is top priority then being around nice people (community) next. Every place has positives and negatives but prioritizing could be helpful. I think you will make the right decision. It is pretty exciting.

:( It amazes me how many animals come in to shelters. It isn't like they are ferals (like cats). They must have been in a home before. Arghhhhhhhhh. It sounds like you have the analysis spot on. That family shouldn't adopt that dog. Even though the dog sounds great and will be great but in the right home. He needs someone like you!!

Wow. I hope they find great homes. I just always worry. Older cats are for certain people. Hopefully the right people find them. Jade sounds amazing. I have a black cat (female) and one of my ferals is a black cat (male). I think they may actually be related because they are so similar. SO SWEET!! For my feral now. He was a bad guy when I first met him. But he has turned out really good. But he did a lot of bad stuff. And he is still territorial and causes em not to be able to trap cats that come around. :( But I still love him. He LOVES being pet and purrs like crazy. My girl inside is the sweetest. I hope Jade finds a good home soon.

Yep, she is being a bad mother now.....................

So true. You know, that is great. I can tell you like Bear. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah. Cats seem to have a lot of stereotypes around them. People either hate them because their aloof, standoffish jerks or they love them because they're sweet lap cats that don't require much work. Both are sometimes true, but usually false.

Of course, I haven't been seeing them as much now. It was every day for a while and now almost not at all. I need to snatch him on the weekend because I don't have time during the week. I honestly just plan on walking down the street with Stella's leash in hand and some treats in my pocket, and see if he follows.

Well, Vermont is definitely safe. It's the good job and living on your income part that's hard. My priorities are an abundance of nature and cooler summers. And, of course, I need to be able to actually live there. I think my mom and I could afford Vermont together, but not sure if we could do it individually. Unfortunately, my three favorites states are a bit expensive in one way or another.

It is amazing. My shelter keeps getting animals from other shelters. I guess there's a shortage of strays here! The last two groups have come from Arkansas. The most recent dogs (haven't seen them yet, but saw a video) are malnourished, flea-ridden, and skittish. They got a bunch of puppies too. We always try to determine why a dog is the shelter, but more often than not all we can come up with is the dog got too strong which wouldn't have been an issue with proper training at an early age. Bear is a wonderful dog, but he absolutely needs the right home. I would love to take him! I did think about fostering him(assuming Stella was okay with him), but I have finals coming up. There's no way I can do it right now.

Jade was really sweet. Apparently one of the shelter workers put in an application for him, so he should be getting a home. Well, you know, ferals have to be tough to survive. They probably do do something bad things! It's amazing how adaptable they are though. Even after living on the streets, they can still be affectionate and trusting.

Haha, yeah. I told her she needs to contain her pet. It's very irresponsible to let it wander around where it can get stepped on.

I do like Bear. I only spent a short amount of time with him, but you can tell there's a lot to him. He has stories he could share even at such a young age and, even though he's scared, he still wants to make new friends. And I do seem to be drawn to the ones that have "problems." I think he and Stella could help each other though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, yes!!

:O Just please be careful. I wonder why you aren't seeing them as much.

Safe is good. Yeah, the job and living is the hard part but you will figure it out. Others do. It sounds like your priorities match well with Vermont. Together is good as long as she would be happy with the move and can find a job etc. :( At least you have 3 different state ideas. Yes good is usually expensive sadly............................... But a lot of times there are little opportunities. You are smart, you will figure it out. And there can be dog walking opportunities etc that can help add to income.

:( Yes,that is very common to send dogs to other areas. It is horrible what happens. I can understand if there is a natural disaster but when things are normal people should care more about the animals. :( That is common that a person gets a dog too powerful and you are right, training is so important. Bear sounds amazing. Yes, the right home. You fall in love with so many. :) Yes, you need to do well on finals then figure out. Dogs are easy to adopt out luckily. I am sure Bear will find a great home.

Wow, Jade!!! THAT was fast!!! AWESOME!! And a worker there so they know. That is great!!! Yes, ferals need to be strong. I really struggle with young cats I TNR. I struggle with how much I should try to "socialize" them vs staying standoffish. Especially if I am with a colony time and time again. My feral colony is way too soft. :( They could be in a house right now. Not sure that was the best thing I did since I can't find them homes. :( Ferals are cats and respond to love. All my cats are and have been ferals off the streets for a year to years. They are all loving cats. It takes effort to build trust but they are incredibly loyal.

Hahahaha!! Too funny!!

I can totally tell. Bear sounds really cool. I can imagine. It is terrible he has gone through a lot but he is now on the path of having a better life. I too take in the ones with "issues". I think I tend to understand and sympathize with those that maybe have not had the best time in life. So sometimes when we understand we can help more. I think it is a great sign of compassion, something that is really important in life. I am proud of you for caring for the ones that not everyone might care for. I think that is another really good sign of your character. That is why I think you can achieve so much in life. That is interesting you think they could help each other. I trust your instincts. I will say, I think you have done a great job with Stella. She seems to be doing really well.

By the way, GREAT post on the "Time for a Cat Behaviorist" thread!! WELL DONE!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frost has been really crabby lately. It's just progressively getting worse. I've been consistent with the glucosamine, so it doesn't seem to be arthritis. He's begun lunging towards and slapping at Ember though. Not usually hard and he backs off quickly, but it's worse than usual. She's been avoiding him a little too. Not all the time, but especially in small areas and when he gets to watching her. And it seems like he spends a lot of time in the hall or in my room, so then she can't get by him. It makes her anxious if she can't get to my room though, so sometimes I pick him up and carry him into the dining room and then call Ember into my room. I was thinking maybe Ember has something wrong with her (considering her fur and weight loss) and he's picking up on that, but he's been crabbier with everyone. Even Ash! Though to a much lesser extent. He got under my feet though and just kept running to where I needed to go. Then he'd make his angry chatter-y noise at me even though I wasn't touching him. I do plan on getting Ember to the vet. I'm not sure if I should start with that and go from there or if I should just take them both in.

I'm guessing I haven't been seeing the dogs just because it's cold and my walk times are varying a bit more. I don't have to beat the heat, so now I go out basically as late as I can (which is still pretty early with school), but they aren't people who leave their dogs outside all the time. It's a fairly short period of time.

We're hoping to find either a lot with two houses or at least a big house that could be split, so that we can help support each other but still have our own space. My mom works at home and her job should (hopefully) be able to go with her, but it's fairly low paying compared to jobs in other countries. I'd have to make a decent amount of money too for us to be able to manage. We're planning a trip though.

I don't understand how shelters could be so terrible. I understand some struggle more than others, but you'd think people who run/work at a shelter would care about animals. Why else would you do it? Yes, I do fall in love with a lot. :rolleyes: It makes things a lot harder. I will say though, a lot of animals that I 'love' it's in more like I see the potential and love the animal and don't want to see them in a shelter rather than I actually want to have that animal. Bear, however, I am obsessed with. I want him. He might be going home Monday though.

Yeah, well, Jade was there longer than a lot of the kittens, but that's not say much. They actually don't have very many kittens there any more. And there were a few that had "Adoption Pending" signs. They're going fast. I can see how it would be hard to make that decision with the ferals. There are pros and cons to both, but I'm not sure there really is a right answer. Neither is ideal, but both have good reasons behind them. I don't think what you did was wrong. It's just prioritizing things differently.

I think the mouse is dying. We're going to have to have a funeral for it. It's been making some weird, mechanical squealing noises. Last night Ember bit the crap out of it after I flung it around and it wouldn't stop making noises. We were afraid it was going to go on all night. I had to smack it around a bit to get it to stop. It's still not squeaking properly though.

Bear is really awesome. I feel kind of bad because I'd like my next dog to be a puppy who's well-socialized and everything because I want to be able to take them out in public and do sports with them, but I feel almost obligated to take the ones other people don't want because I'm willing to. Bear honestly would've been kind of perfect in that sense because he has "issues" but they're relatively minor and he's young enough to adapt. I'd still be helping a timid dog without giving up what I want. I thought Stella and Bear could help each other because Bear is more confident with other dogs than people and Stella is more confident with people than other dogs. They sort of fit each other in that sense. Bear is a nice next step for Stella because he's bigger than her, but not huge. He's also relatively calm for a dog. And Bear could see her interact with new people and be confident in new environments. We did take him out for a few hours Saturday and it was great. We took him to the park I take Stella to and introduced them. At first we just walked them on opposites sides of us so both of us were between them. Initially, Bear was excited and trying to get to her, but he quickly lost interest and started sniffing around. Stella walked perfectly fine with no hackles or anything, so we let her sniff and Bear just ignored her. They did fantastic together. It was the first time I'd seen Stella so close to a bigger dog with no sign of fear. She did get to barking and he didn't like that. Growled a couple of times when she barked, but he just wanted to get away when she did. By the end of our trip to the park though, her barking and overall behavior seemed more playful than aggressive/fearful. We took them both up to a friend's house who also has a small dog (even smaller than Stella). Bear did well with her as well. I took them out in the backyard and Stella and Bear actually played together. I'm kind of tearing up just thinking about it. Unfortunately, Stella's knee popped out of place and she didn't want to play after that. And, of course, I wanted Bear even more after that. It's really kind of unfair that what's basically my dream dog is right in front of, sitting at a shelter with no home, and I can't have him. The only downside to Bear is he seems a little smaller than what I'd like. My mom and I both love black shepherds and my mom even said if it doesn't work out at his new home maybe he was meant to be my dog! She seems to be getting softer with every animal we both like. I don't know what we're going to do if she doesn't say no! I don't think I can do it.

But today I took Stella and met my dad, step mom, sister, and their dog at a park. We went for a walk and there were lots of other dogs. Stella did really well. She tolerated my dad's dog better than before (though she was fed up with him by the end) and was totally calm around other dogs. Even tried to approach a man who had a boxer.

Thank you! I was a bit nervous posting, but I'm wanting to get over some of those nerves and this is a great site for that. I can't bring myself to post on the dog forum I'm on anymore.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy gets like this at times as well. They become bored I think and like to be brats. Their way of shaking things up and making things more exciting. It is like the boy that teases in the classroom (we called it dipping the hair into the ink well). I would try to step up play with Ash and just hang out with him, build his confidence. Maybe add some treats as he may even just be hungry. It is so hard to know. It could be nothing but boredom like my boy.

It never hurts to take a cat into the vet if you think something may be up.

Well, I am glad they are not out in the cold.

That sounds like a good plan. That is really good your mom can move and keep her job. Fingers crossed you can do it, that sounds really cool.

Bear might be going to A home or to YOUR home? Bear does sound awesome.

I know. It is hard to run a shelter and of course some do it to do it and some do it to help and out of love. And of course, we can always get in over our heads. It is hard. Not to excuse bad things but sometimes things don;t go as planned.

It is good to fall in love. Of course, we have to balance it. I fall in love easily too. How can't a person??? Animals are so amazing. I hear you about not wanting them in a shelter. It is heartbreaking to see them. But it is temporary. It is a necessary stop off.

:( awwwwwwwwww.

WOW, that sounds like it went REALLY well!!! Bear does sound awesome. Your mom is a softie. Hehehehehe. She may have a point. I know, it is hard. You see an amazing animal and wish you could give them a good home but there are obstacles. All you can do is make the best decision possible. Things will work out. I have been there. I know exactly the battle you are going through.

WOW, Stella!!! You are doing something right!! That is FANTASTIC!!!

Nervous posting? Why? THAT was a GREAT post!!! I didn't sense any nerves. Trust yourself, you are capable of things much greater than you believe.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard this from somebody else too lol

If I may suggest, I'd take them both in to the vet. Let us know what they say :)
That's kind of what I figured, but if I'm being honest it's a bit of a pain to take more than one at a time, especially if I do it by myself. If my mom goes, then I'd be limited on when I could go. Doing it on my own means either shoving both in one crate (probably not the greatest idea) or having two crates. At least I wouldn't have to take Ash's heavy butt, but I don't trust the crates and pretty much refuse to hold them by the handle like a normal person. I always picture the bottom of the crate crashing to the ground and the cat taking off out of sheer panic... So it takes two hands to hold one crate.

My boy gets like this at times as well. They become bored I think and like to be brats. Their way of shaking things up and making things more exciting. It is like the boy that teases in the classroom (we called it dipping the hair into the ink well). I would try to step up play with Ash and just hang out with him, build his confidence. Maybe add some treats as he may even just be hungry. It is so hard to know. It could be nothing but boredom like my boy.

It never hurts to take a cat into the vet if you think something may be up.

Well, I am glad they are not out in the cold.

That sounds like a good plan. That is really good your mom can move and keep her job. Fingers crossed you can do it, that sounds really cool.

Bear might be going to A home or to YOUR home? Bear does sound awesome.

I know. It is hard to run a shelter and of course some do it to do it and some do it to help and out of love. And of course, we can always get in over our heads. It is hard. Not to excuse bad things but sometimes things don;t go as planned.

It is good to fall in love. Of course, we have to balance it. I fall in love easily too. How can't a person??? Animals are so amazing. I hear you about not wanting them in a shelter. It is heartbreaking to see them. But it is temporary. It is a necessary stop off.

:( awwwwwwwwww.

WOW, that sounds like it went REALLY well!!! Bear does sound awesome. Your mom is a softie. Hehehehehe. She may have a point. I know, it is hard. You see an amazing animal and wish you could give them a good home but there are obstacles. All you can do is make the best decision possible. Things will work out. I have been there. I know exactly the battle you are going through.

WOW, Stella!!! You are doing something right!! That is FANTASTIC!!!

Nervous posting? Why? THAT was a GREAT post!!! I didn't sense any nerves. Trust yourself, you are capable of things much greater than you believe.
Except neither of the boys are wanting to play. Even Ember isn't play as much, but between the mouse and the laser light I can get her moving a bit. But Frost won't play unless I pretty much throw it into his paws so he can play while laying down. Ash might go for a toy once or twice. Otherwise he likes to sit at the edge of the living room with his back to me and won't even look at the toy. I've dug out a couple of old ones, tried using a bit of fleece from one of the blankets my mom made for the shelter, and she even tied a bunch of strips of fleece to an older toy. Nothing. No interest. Not even trying to play with the handle of the toys works and that usually does.

Yeah, well I definitely want to get Ember in. It's just a matter of getting both in at the same time or take Ember in and figure out what might be going on with her, then see if helping her helps Frost or if he still needs to go.

Yeah, we're hoping we can make the move work.

A home, lol. I wish it was mine.

I don't know what excuse someone could have for letting dogs get so malnourished. One of the dogs from the most recent trip to Arkansas is so terrified. When I walked past his kennel, he immediately flattened himself to the ground. Head down and everything. One dog I'm not sure where she came from, but I think most of their recent dogs have been from Arkansas. Sweet, gentle dog, but very scared and very skinny.

It's so hard. I think I can tell the difference between honestly bonding to an animal and just liking them for who they are. I can love an animal and get attached in a way, but it doesn't necessarily mean they fit what I'd want/need from an animal.

Mr. Mouse made a come back. He's squeaking properly again.

Bear really is awesome. Just perfect energy level, intelligent, food motivated... He really did well with Stella. I didn't expect it to work out at all because he'd gained enough confidence to act like a puppy and he did seem focused on other dogs. I thought he'd harass her and she'd feel threatened, but he got over her presence in seconds and was way more interested in the smells. From what I saw with cats, he seemed interested, but not obsessed. He only ever acted like he saw a cat once and I was able to call him away. I wish I could have him. Honestly, I don't know why I'm even thinking about if/how I could adopt him. There's no reason for him to be brought back, so he's probably gone and it's probably for the best.

I'm really proud of her. I think Bear actually did help her even if it was only one meeting. I haven't seen her take to any dog as well as she did him, but she's doing better.

I'm always nervous when posting. This site helped me get over some of it, but it went downhill really fast due to the dog forum. I ended up back at square one, if not even further back than when I began. That post was hard because some of those things were... I don't know, not exactly proven or things that people usually associate with cats. I can get myself to type my reply up. I get into the writing part. It's when I go to hit post that I freeze up and usually talk myself out of it. I got myself to do it this time because I could tell myself that even if I was wrong or there were better ways, no one here was going to judge or be harsh.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes, that happens. Of course another cat is usually better than a toy. :/ They do love to run around. You might just want to use some love to distract. I am guessing it is just bratty behavior. They love each other so it would be highly unlikely something changed. I know what you mean about sensing something wrong (health wise) but that is pretty rare. Could be outside ferals again (or animals). Re-directed "aggression" - though aggression seem to harsh a word in your case.

Ember is acting normal though, right? What are you worried about with Frost?

That would be cool. I hope you can.

:/ I hear you!!! Even if it is a great home it is still a little disappointing if that makes sense. Not sure how to describe it but I think you know the feeling.

:( I know. It is disgusting. People do it to kids and older adults as well. I know know how their minds justify what they do. Personally, I would have much tougher laws. Animal abuse should lead to jail imo.

It really is. You are more self aware and mature than most people. Many people have trouble differentiating between them. I have taken in dogs that don't necessarily fit what I want but I do find the bond does build over time. I love big dogs but have taken in my share of small dogs because they needed a good home. It is interesting.

WOW!!! GREAT!!! Ember is going to be happy!!

He does sound amazing. That is impressive. Things happen for a reason. It sounds like he sound be a success in his new home. If not, then it might be meant to be. I know how hard this it for you. I have gone through all these emotions many times. :/

You should be proud. It is impressive. Sure it was probably Bear but Stella responding to him. VERY cool!!

You shouldn't be nervous. You are intelligent AND your intent (heart) is in the right place. I think you have to understand that some people have issues and therefore attack or belittle etc other people because of THEIR inadequacies. What I always do is listen to the criticism and then see if they have a point. If someone is saying crazy thing with no basis in reality then it is easy to realize it is their issue. So, when I give advice on here someone may give different advice. Sometimes I think that is a really good point, I didn't think of that. Sometimes I think that is not the best and not what I would do but maybe it works. And sometimes it is just plain wrong and I think it is important to make sure bad advice is addressed. I never take it personally. Some may have a personal intent, most don't. But always think about the bigger goal of trying to help someone. It isn't about us but about the animal and the household. And our main goal is to save lives and make the lives of the animals (and the humans) as good as possible. If you hold back good advice that is a shame because I think you have a lot of knowledge and a lot to offer. And that can help people and animals. You are much wiser than you think and much wiser beyond your years. We are always harder on ourselves than reality. Hopefully as time passes you see your abilities and reality more clearly. I am not the only one that liked your post on the other thread so I don't think I am biased. And I hope you know that I would always tell you the truth or what I am thinking (even if it wouldn't be positive). The problem with you is you seem to always be spot on so I can't show you the later part of that statement!!! :)

So I hope you feel like you can post elsewhere and not take things personally and learn from other posts. You have too much to offer to others.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would be right :)
Yes, that's why I love this site. It was the first (and pretty much only) place I've felt I belonged.

:( Yes, that happens. Of course another cat is usually better than a toy. :/ They do love to run around. You might just want to use some love to distract. I am guessing it is just bratty behavior. They love each other so it would be highly unlikely something changed. I know what you mean about sensing something wrong (health wise) but that is pretty rare. Could be outside ferals again (or animals). Re-directed "aggression" - though aggression seem to harsh a word in your case.

Ember is acting normal though, right? What are you worried about with Frost?

That would be cool. I hope you can.

:/ I hear you!!! Even if it is a great home it is still a little disappointing if that makes sense. Not sure how to describe it but I think you know the feeling.

:( I know. It is disgusting. People do it to kids and older adults as well. I know know how their minds justify what they do. Personally, I would have much tougher laws. Animal abuse should lead to jail imo.

It really is. You are more self aware and mature than most people. Many people have trouble differentiating between them. I have taken in dogs that don't necessarily fit what I want but I do find the bond does build over time. I love big dogs but have taken in my share of small dogs because they needed a good home. It is interesting.

WOW!!! GREAT!!! Ember is going to be happy!!

He does sound amazing. That is impressive. Things happen for a reason. It sounds like he sound be a success in his new home. If not, then it might be meant to be. I know how hard this it for you. I have gone through all these emotions many times. :/

You should be proud. It is impressive. Sure it was probably Bear but Stella responding to him. VERY cool!!

You shouldn't be nervous. You are intelligent AND your intent (heart) is in the right place. I think you have to understand that some people have issues and therefore attack or belittle etc other people because of THEIR inadequacies. What I always do is listen to the criticism and then see if they have a point. If someone is saying crazy thing with no basis in reality then it is easy to realize it is their issue. So, when I give advice on here someone may give different advice. Sometimes I think that is a really good point, I didn't think of that. Sometimes I think that is not the best and not what I would do but maybe it works. And sometimes it is just plain wrong and I think it is important to make sure bad advice is addressed. I never take it personally. Some may have a personal intent, most don't. But always think about the bigger goal of trying to help someone. It isn't about us but about the animal and the household. And our main goal is to save lives and make the lives of the animals (and the humans) as good as possible. If you hold back good advice that is a shame because I think you have a lot of knowledge and a lot to offer. And that can help people and animals. You are much wiser than you think and much wiser beyond your years. We are always harder on ourselves than reality. Hopefully as time passes you see your abilities and reality more clearly. I am not the only one that liked your post on the other thread so I don't think I am biased. And I hope you know that I would always tell you the truth or what I am thinking (even if it wouldn't be positive). The problem with you is you seem to always be spot on so I can't show you the later part of that statement!!! :)

So I hope you feel like you can post elsewhere and not take things personally and learn from other posts. You have too much to offer to others.
Well, I just spent way too much money at PetSmart. They're all getting plenty of Christmas gifts from us and I got a wand toy that has three different attachments. Hopefully something new will get their attention. I really need to figure out what's going on with Frost though. Not only is it driving me crazy, but Ember has begun avoiding him a bit. She still drives him crazy and tries to play with him around eating time. I'm not sure why she does that, but she always does. He used to play with her, but not so much anymore. I haven't been seeing cats very much lately, so not sure if that would be more of a problem now than it was before. It's possible, of course, but we don't really have anything around us to lure ferals here.

Yes, she is which is why I haven't taken her to the vet yet, but she's thin and not putting weight on. Not losing either, but not gaining. And she has these near-bald spots on her back end. I'm not sure if they're new or if it's just how her fur has grown in, but I didn't notice them until after her fur was mostly grown in. I'm worried about her in the winter because she's always cold. She's usually cold as it is, but now she doesn't even have all her fur. I'm not sure what to think about with Frost, but I'd rather not let it go on if there is something wrong with him. I don't really get the sense that there is though. I think I'm going to get Ember in first and go from there.

I agree, animal abuse should absolutely lead to jail. Even people who don't necessarily care about animals shouldn't be able to bring themselves to do such horrible things.

I have nothing against getting an animal that doesn't completely fit. That's Stella, for sure. I never even planned on getting another small dog. But I do want to get into agility and/or obedience or something like that. That would require a dog in good health and is willing to work. Not just willing, but happy too. I'd also like to have a confident dog and hopefully foster some of the skittish/scared dogs at shelters, so that would require a well-mannered, calm dog that does well in all situations. So, for my next dog at least, I'm being a little pickier. And I am done with small dogs. They don't necessarily have to be as big as I prefer, but not small.

She is. That poor mouse is struggling though. Sometimes it just goes dead silent and stops squeaking. Then it'll just start up again. I did get her a chirping bird for Christmas to see how she likes it.
Bear is gone. :yess: :bawling: So many mixed feelings. I'm so very happy for him, but I really miss him. He has, by far, left the biggest impact on me. I miss all the animals I've worked with, but in more of an "Aww, I wish I could see them again," kind of way. This is more than just wanting to see him again (though I would very much like that). I think seeing him with Stella was what really drew me to him though. Partly because it just seemed so perfect, partly because I was so emotional seeing Stella play with a big dog, and also partly just because it was the first time that door even opened. Stella has always been a huge barrier preventing me from getting another dog, so it wasn't an option. So when she got along with him, suddenly it was actually possible. Bear's brother, Chip, came back to the shelter. Not sure why, but he already has a home again.

I am very proud of Stella. We went to PetSmart today and it was busy! I mean, I know some people go a little crazy about shopping for their pets, but I didn't expect that. Well, they were doing pictures with Santa. I didn't know that. She did well though. She was exciting and whining, but did fine with other dogs. I mostly kept away from them, but it was easier said than done. One dog went nuts when it saw Stella for some reason. The man had to pick the dog up after that and I don't think it stopped barking after that. I could it hear the whole time we were there. Stella raised her hackles a bit, but didn't bark or anything. Another basset hound type dog came running up to her from behind me and they went nose to nose for a second. So Stella wasn't very well behaved, but it was mostly her usual excitement and had nothing to do with the other dogs.

I did meet another dog at the shelter. She's a beautiful black and tan German shepherd. Just over a year old. She was a hard dog to figure out because she initially didn't want treats and wouldn't grab a tennis ball. She'd chase it, but wouldn't grab it. So I got a beat up soccer ball and started kicking it around. She loved it. At first she still just left it, but then she started grabbing it and shaking it. She would work for the ball and now takes food. I've worked her a couple of times now. Lovely dog, but you can tell she doesn't know what to do with herself. She's all over the place and wasn't given a purpose in her life which is something I believe GSDs need. She's crazy and energetic outside, but in the kennel she just lays on my lap.

I know. I need to get over it and I don't want to let what other people say bother me, but it's easier said than done. It's harder when it's about animal care and how I'm taking care of my animals. The people on that site usually know what they're talking about, but they go about it in the wrong way. They're harsh and tend to make things seem worse than they actually are. And it really kind of is personal when they're telling you that you're doing everything wrong which seems to be what happens if I make my own post. I have seen a lot of people leave that site because they're immediately attacked. But it is something I want to work on and something this site has been extremely helpful. Talking to you has been helpful and your encouragement means a lot to me. I can't even express how much it means, honestly, to hear that I'm doing something right from someone with more experience and knowledge than me. I've read a lot of your posts, not just in this thread but others, and I feel you're a great person to help others. You always manage to point out what's being done wrong, what could be done better, and just give general advice without sounding mean or judgmental. It's a skill that the people on the dog forum could use. They have the knowledge, but their social skills are less than fantastic. I made a rule for myself that I wouldn't post unless I could do so in a polite, helpful way because I know that, if I can't, somebody else will be able to do and the best thing I can do is not post something that'll make the OP defensive and closed off.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky Ash, Ember, Frost and Stella!!! Very cool on the wand toy.

Maybe she picked up worms or something? It is good that she is not losing weight. She might just have a fast metabolism. Maybe it is best to get some tests done just in case. Ask the vet what they think and what tests might help diagnose.

Yeah, I didn't get a sense there was anything really wrong with Frost. I think that is a good plan. Get Ember checked out and go from there.

Totally agree.

Sounds like a good plan.

:( Poor mouse. Wow, she is going to LOVE the chirping bird!!!

Wow. Good for Bear. I can totally understand your feelings. I have been there. He seemed really special. Seeing your dog interact so nicely with another dog is great. I wonder if it was Bear, or all the work you have put in with Stella (or a bit of both).

I wonder why Chip came back. :( Probably the humans. :(

It sounds like Stella did well. Given how the other dogs responded to her she sounds like she did really well. It can be hard with a lot of dogs around.

Awwwwww, my fave dogs. She sounds like she just didn't have a good home. She sounds like she is responding to your efforts. I am sure she is smart so with the right person she should do well. I am glad you are working to help here.

It is easier said than done but I know you will do it. Yes, some people do not have a good "bedside manner". And of course, if that knowledge doesn't get through then it is worthless. People looking for help are here for the right reasons. Now some people are more willing to work for improvement than others but the dog forum people should have more "tact". But that is their issue, not yours. Just try to separate the "wheat from the chaff". We are all sensitive and can get our feelings hurt but try to remember the person;s intent. Some people don't mean to insult but they come off like that. Just try not to take it personally. Awwwww, thanks. Well, I hope you know that I only tell you the truth. I don't tell you things I don't believe.

I think you should post anytime. I don't think you would come off as not polite or not helpful. And posting is a good way to learn skills and to learn things. I do hope you post when you feel like you have something to help others because I think they would benefit from that.

I am not worried, you are going to continue to build confidence and knowledge. You are the next generation to help animal for the future. I am confident you will do great things.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they like it. I'm quite excited even though I spent way more than I meant to. Oh well. We don't really buy them new stuff all the time, so it's money that we probably would've spent on them if we did buy them things more often. We just spent it all at once. None of them are really wanting to play... I think it's time to break out the catnip.

She's really quite thin though. I think it looks worse because of the lack of fur, but she is skinny and has some very body hips. I'm glad she isn't losing anymore weight though. My mom keeps saying worms too, but I would've expected more consistent weight loss with that rather than losing a bit all at once and then not at all. I don't know though.

I can't explain it, but there's something about Frost's behavior that makes it seem... intentional. And just flat out crabby, but not like there's something wrong with him. Nothing is happening to cause him pain or anything. He'll just be sitting there and Ember will be two feet away with her back to him when he starts his angry chattering. That's backed up by the fact that he doesn't act like that with Ash and Stella very much.

I hope she likes the bird. I can't wait. I want to put everything in their stockings. Lol.

He was a really awesome dog. I think the work I put in helped Stella be more open to big dog, but that was the first time she'd taken to one so well. I don't think that was a coincidence. Bear went at her pace and didn't harass her.

Probably. Looks like he's gone again though. Hopefully for good this time. I feel bad when they go back and forth. That would be so confusing.

She definitely did well with the other dogs, but could use some practice going to new places.

Supposedly her family moved somewhere they couldn't have a dog, but I'm not falling for it. It might've been a convenient excuse, but she's at the age where she stops being a cute puppy and becomes a big, strong dog. She's lost, has no purpose, and doesn't know what's expected from her. No leash manners though she does settle down once she's been exercised. Very beautiful, sweet, intelligent dog. She's another I'd consider taking myself, but I know I can't give her the home she needs. She needs a yard to run around in and we don't have that.

I want to find another dog forum, but so many of them are inactive. Getting away from that site would probably help me. I don't think they're bad people, but they just make everyone defensive. And defensive people aren't typically open to advice. I've seen people get defensive on here too, but those people seem to be the ones that just want their feelings to be validated rather than actually get help. They don't want to put the effort in. We need people who can speak the truth in a way that's blatant and frank, but still respectful. No sugarcoating, but no jumping to assumptions or judging when the person is actually trying.

There are times I get a little too emotional and I don't think I could be as polite as needed. Sometimes I don't think the people deserve the respect, but then I also know that being aggressive isn't going to get them to listen. I've seen both tactics and I know which tends to be more effective. And a lot of times it's a situation where there really are plenty of people with the knowledge because I got my knowledge from them. I always say I have more knowledge than experience because I haven't had to deal with a lot of situations, but I've read about people who have. So I can feel better knowing that someone who has both knowledge and experience will reply.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they will love them. Yes, cats can get a bit lazy. I know, it is so easy to go crazy in the store. :) Not the worst thing. Catnip will definitely get them going. :)

:/ Yeah, it is probably good to get here in. It could be an allergic reaction to a protein or an ingredient. It could be worms. Best to get her checked out. :( Poor Ember. It can be hard to diagnose sometimes. :( Hopefully the vet will have an idea.

Sometimes a cat just doesn't like another cat as much. For whatever reason. Just try to make a positive association, give some treats together. Cats do get like that sometimes.

:) They are spoiled!! LOVE it!! I think they will love it.

That is so cool. Yes, the personality can definitely help. Bear is a just a good dog. But it is a good sign of how much progress you have made with Stella.

WOW, that was fast. I know, it is awful to be returned. I tend to think it is the humans rather than the dogs. :/

Oh yes, she will though. It is intense and has to be a little scary. She is in good hands, she will be fine.

:( Yep, you are probably right. People don;t realize the kind of dog they are going to have. In the right hands she will be fine. That is the great thing about dogs, with the right person they tend to work out. She will be fine. She is going to find a good home.

I think that is right. It is too bad. But maybe you could help them realize their mistakes? Human nature is to get a bit defensive. Then we gain some wisdom and realize that defensiveness will not really help. It is all about realizing that being wrong or misguided is not bad per se it is really more about not correcting that because of pride or insecurity that is really the error. Every one is wrong and there is nothing wrong with being wrong but not correcting that is the error. Being humble enough to accept that no one is always right. Usually the more intelligent someone is, combined with youth, the more likely we are defensive but then as we get older we realize that it isn't a judgement of us but really a desire to make things better. A lot of us want our views reinforced, again, human nature. But I believe it is really about learning that is about getting better. No one knows all or is perfect so we all can learn. I love to hear other people's views and see if they can make things better. Hopefully, everyone gets to the point that we can always look at the other "side" and think about it doing it all in a respectful way. But remember, if someone doesn't, it is not your issue, it is theirs. That is why I don't think you should give up on the dog forum. Not only do you have good advice to offer but you could learn AND you could learn how to deal with people that may not be the easiest to deal with.

We all get too emotional at times. The fact you are aware is good and what is important. I think that is what I am so impressed with you. You are very self aware. And that trait is going to lead to a lot of positive impact in this world. This paragraph is a great example why I think you are special. You are self aware, you think about the best way to handle everything. It is really impressive. You really are wise beyond your years. It is very impressive. You will get the experience and your knowledge will increase and potentially evolve. It is more art than science. What can work for some people and not for others can be opposite. You'll develop your own style. There is a person on this site that goes about things different than I would but he achieves success. It has a lot to do with his personality and style so his actions are unorthodox to me but they work. It is fascinating. Others do it "by the book" and find success. There really aren't any laws necessarily. Success can be achieved in different ways depending on the parties involved.

So I totally hear you, someone with knowledge and experience is great contributor but don't underestimate what you have to offer. You will find the right balance and do the right thing. That is one thing I don't worry about you. You will do the right and best thing.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very easy! The catnip worked on Ember. Frost went ran a couple of times, but it was mostly just running straight through the room. Ash though... he's difficult. He sits with his back to me so it's not like I can even get the toy in front of him very easily. He's also very good at ignoring me.

I hope. Hopefully we figure it out with one trip and I don't have to keep bringing her back for different tests. I'm always hesitant to take her to the vet just because she's so skittish and insecure, but I know it needs to be done.

I don't like seeing Ember avoid him though. And he likes to sit in the hallway or by my bedroom door, so then she can't get through. She gets a bit anxious if she doesn't have access to my room.

Bear is a great dog. Of course, I usually think they're all great and only ever see the potential they have.

Oh yes, definitely the people. I mean, some dogs are easier to deal with than others, but that doesn't mean you just give up on them because they can be a bit difficult. Chip is a young dog with a really cute face. I'm not surprised he went fast (both times), but I've no clue why someone returned him to begin with.

It's hard to figure out how to deal with it though, especially with Stella's car excitement on top of it. I have gotten her to the point that she'll take a treat in the car though. She gets a Kong and as long as she has that, she does alright. I just need to get her out more, but there aren't many places that allow dogs which means we have to set that time aside to do just that. Can't combine it with a shopping trip or anything.

Yes. I just hope her home will be with someone willing to give her a job to do. I think she needs that very badly. German shepherds are awesome dogs, but they weren't meant to just be a family dog. They can do that as well, but they need something else too. She's definitely a beautiful dog with a lot of potential. I don't think she'll be there long.

It's basically against their rules to point out their flaws and usually threads where that happens end up escalating and are locked. They certainly don't hesitate to lock threads or ban people which solves absolutely nothing, so the same situation just happens over and over again. There are some good people on there, but sometimes it feels like certain people are targeted. Like you never know how you're going to be treat until you post, but it only takes one post to know how you'll be treated in the future. If you manage to find a place in the thread (which seems to have all been taken by older members), then you're never judged, but a lot of new members are judged immediately.

I would absolutely love to learn and gain more experience. I love being on this site and learning from other people's experiences and see how they handled things. There are certainly a lot of different methods, but I do want to learn. I don't want to pretend to know everything because then I'd learn nothing. Of course, as with most people, I like being right and don't want to be told I'm wrong, but that's not exactly healthy. I do try to be aware of my own issues and I try to be open minded. Sometimes people make it difficult, but I want to do my part.