Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it has been happening ever since the site changed. Not sure what might be happening.

Ash Ash........... He is finishing his food and wanting Frost's? The colder temps must be causing him to eat more. Hahahaha, wouldn't Ember just do that? Mother cat. PLEASE be careful about sticking your hand in his mouth. You don't want an accidental bite.

Ash sounds EXACTLY like my girl. :/ SO hard to get them to behave. I have to lock up all bread products from my girl. :( Frost has had enough. Time to growl. Frost sounds like a total sweetie. Actually they all seem like wonderful cats (even though some can be a bit naughty but that is what cats do).

It really is. Well, perception matters a lot. And some dogs can look and act mean and aren't. And reputations can influence what people think. I agree it is not worth the risk even if the risk is small. Best to be careful. I agree few dogs are human aggressive and of course how we react impacts how they react. But it is easy to "loose our heads" when a dog comes charging etc. Yes, a lot of towns are like that sadly. A lot of reasons why it happens. And sadly there is a lot of abuse etc. It is awful. That is why education etc is so important. I wish schools did more to educate. But there are a very small amount of people that are awful. Sometimes because others were awful to them and there is hurt and anger etc. Doesn't justify it but as a country we need to address why people do such bad things to other people and animals and get the people the education and help they need. :(

I agree!!

Enjoying something is really important to getting better and learning more and trying harder. It is fantastic to enjoy something AND do good with it. I agree with you. But I guess we are all different. As long as the cats can find good homes. And maybe some day those taking kittens will take in older cats. Hopefully it is a journey for people rather than a destination. Some people only take in disabled cats etc. I really appreciate those people. Others just ferals, others just older. But we each do our part to help save cat's lives.

WOW, your mom really is interested. OH my. Adding cats to 3 residents cats is really a challenge. :/ I KNOW how hard this is. But please really think about it before you add cats. It can be exponentially more challenging. It is so hard because they are so cute and sweet. They like you at the shelter. That is so cool. Of course I can see why!! Easy to like you.

Yes, certain cats do things like that more. My girl like to nibble my moving fingers. Love bites. She just can't resist. Ash is something. MY girl will do that with the other cats. Give a nip when she doesn't like something they do. Yep, cats don;t always move. Everything almost has to be on their terms......................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, hopefully it gets fixed.

Yep. It does seem like Frost might be a bit slow these days, but Ash doesn't seem to be spending as much time cleaning his bowl out either. I'll be careful. I did hesitate before doing it, but I didn't think he'd bite me and he didn't. He just wasn't exactly opening his mouth either. I more or less hurt myself on his tooth.

I'm waiting for him to figure out how to open doors. Then nothing will be safe. I'm surprised no one has figured that out yet.

I see that all the time in the shelter. The longer a dog is there, the crazier it acts. Though they have one right now that started off that way. There was a poor pittie who was there for at least a couple of years. Pretty girl, but she acted like she would tear you to pieces if you dared open the door. Of course, if you actually did open the door then she'd go completely silent. She was really just scared, but she didn't want to hurt anyone. There was another there for a little while and was much the same. She came from an abusive situation, but was still willing to love. Just acted crazy before you opened the kennel. It would be cool if schools did more. I'd like to do public speaking myself, but I have to get over my nerves first. Something needs to be done.

It's true. At least the cats are getting homes, but it would be nice to see the older cats get adopted more too. I did see a man and his kid get an adult not long ago. That was nice to see. I'd probably get adults and kittens. Mix it up. I'll admit I love kittens and they're super adorable, but I have nothing against adopting adults either.

Oh, trust me, we're not planning on adding cats. It's just so hard to walk away from them and it only gets harder with every week. I can't wrap my head around why they've been there this long. It's been probably over a month and most kittens get homes within a couple of weeks. But with Ember's insecurities, our lack of space, lack of money, lack of time... We could probably scrape by financially, but it would be difficult. There's not much we could do about the space though and it would take every spare second I have to take care of any more.

Ash is ridiculous. I tolerate biting more than most people do because I know it's their way of communicating, but he likes to push it. Biting is allowed, but hurting and drawing blood is not. He doesn't typically draw blood, but he does hurt sometimes. Ember just rubs and head butts which can be annoying, but less painful.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully. It is more difficult to keep up now. It was easier before.

Yeah, they do change a little and sometimes they get tired of the same food. It just happens. That is good about Ash though. Ash wouldn't bite you on purpose most likely but accidents can happen. :/ Their teeth are sharp!!

:( He is smart, he probably will........

Yep. And I would be like that too if I was in a shelter for a long time. It is understandable. But with the right person and environment dogs can be totally different. Some dogs seem mean but are sweethearts. It is too bad. I think every dog and cat can be great with the right people. Finding the right people is the key and is hard. :(

I think you would do amazing at public speaking if you trusted yourself. Once you would do it and see you can do it I think you would be fine. You have the passion so that would outweigh any fear. You could really make a difference. The hard part would be to get the schools to agree to have guest speakers. :/

Totally agree. That is great that the guy and kid chose an older cat. I am with you, I take whoever needs me and I can add. Historically I have taken in the older ferals as they tend to be unadoptable. It is hard though since there are more cats than I can have. :(

It is VERY hard. I go through this often. I have amazing ferals that IF I could they would be great cats in my home. And I know that by me not taking them in their lives will be shortened. Knowing that is really hard. But what can I do? At least with your kittens they will find a home so you shouldn't feel bad. The biggest challenge would be integrating them to the resident cats. :( It is exponentially hard to add multiple cats to a multi cat household.

Yep. Some cats just do bite more. And sometimes it can be an accident and hurt. But when I saw "ouch" they typically know and stop. They are pretty smart. Headbutts are awesome. She is telling you "you are my pal, I LOVE you". AWESOME!!! My one girl REALLY gives some hard headbutts. Everynight before we go to sleep we headbutt each other and give some love. Rubbing is such a great sign as well. They want to "own" you with their scent. It is really cool.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just coming in late to the show=do you have these toy mice?

Make sure they have the rattle inside=these mice are a favorite of every cat I have had.

I recently bought this mouse on a stick/wire=it is absolutely the favorite toy! Both my girls flick it around and play with it. I drag it around corners and new kitty comes running to try to catch it.

I apologize if these items have already been tried...the new cat loves to play=the resident cat pouts most of the time...

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully. It is more difficult to keep up now. It was easier before.

Yeah, they do change a little and sometimes they get tired of the same food. It just happens. That is good about Ash though. Ash wouldn't bite you on purpose most likely but accidents can happen. :/ Their teeth are sharp!!

:( He is smart, he probably will........

Yep. And I would be like that too if I was in a shelter for a long time. It is understandable. But with the right person and environment dogs can be totally different. Some dogs seem mean but are sweethearts. It is too bad. I think every dog and cat can be great with the right people. Finding the right people is the key and is hard. :(

I think you would do amazing at public speaking if you trusted yourself. Once you would do it and see you can do it I think you would be fine. You have the passion so that would outweigh any fear. You could really make a difference. The hard part would be to get the schools to agree to have guest speakers. :/

Totally agree. That is great that the guy and kid chose an older cat. I am with you, I take whoever needs me and I can add. Historically I have taken in the older ferals as they tend to be unadoptable. It is hard though since there are more cats than I can have. :(

It is VERY hard. I go through this often. I have amazing ferals that IF I could they would be great cats in my home. And I know that by me not taking them in their lives will be shortened. Knowing that is really hard. But what can I do? At least with your kittens they will find a home so you shouldn't feel bad. The biggest challenge would be integrating them to the resident cats. :( It is exponentially hard to add multiple cats to a multi cat household.

Yep. Some cats just do bite more. And sometimes it can be an accident and hurt. But when I saw "ouch" they typically know and stop. They are pretty smart. Headbutts are awesome. She is telling you "you are my pal, I LOVE you". AWESOME!!! My one girl REALLY gives some hard headbutts. Everynight before we go to sleep we headbutt each other and give some love. Rubbing is such a great sign as well. They want to "own" you with their scent. It is really cool.
Ash is crazy. At least last night and this morning he didn't seem to be in as much of a rush to get to Frost's food. I've been having to stand guard in the hallway to make sure he doesn't get it. He either tries sneaking past me or outrunning me.

It is understandable, but it's not good for their chances to get adopted. They've actually stopped letting people go back to the dogs which might be for the best. At least the people aren't seeing the dogs act like that. They just got another group of dogs from a different shelter. All of them have been in the shelter for at least three years. The shelter was bad. They didn't have vet care, didn't get proper socialization, etc... Most of them have been labeled as red paws which is the advanced/staff only level. One is food aggressive, one toy aggressive... We were really hoping to see and spend time with a black shepherd that came in that group, but he's staff only and labeled as food aggressive. Definitely older. Gray fur on his muzzle. He, as well as most of the other dogs from this group, acted crazy. You could just see that gleam of out-of-control fear in their eyes. They've been through so much. I hope this shelter can help them. You're right though. They need the right person and find that person is not easy. Honestly, I don't think there are enough "right people."

I would like to be able to do it. I think I'd be fine once I got started. Getting started is the hard part. I want to make a difference though. Or at least help make one.

Three kittens were getting adopted today. Not adults, but great nonetheless.

I don't think you should feel too bad for your ferals though. I know it's hard seeing them in a dangerous place, but you do what you can and, when it comes down to it, cats are actually wild animals. They existed outside our homes before they existed within them. There are so many cats in shelters already that it's hard to help both them and the cats living outside. You're right, these kittens will gets home and be loved, but right now they're stuck in small cages and get attention when someone chooses to take them out. I talked myself into leaving them behind initially because I thought they'd get adopted fast and there was no reason for me to worry about them, but they've been there far longer than I expected them to be. They weren't at the shelter today and I thought they might've been adopted, but a lady said they were taken to an adoption event. We didn't get to see them. I tried stalling until they got back, but we had to leave.

We're still having a hard time not bringing those three home. I've even thought about trying to convince my mom to just take one, but I kind of feel bad picking one. I know who we'd take, but he's the sweetest one. It really shouldn't be hard for him to get adopted. I have wondered if Ember would take to a kitten better than an adult. It would be so nice to see her have a friend. She wants to play with Frost so badly, but he's just become such a crab.

Ash just gets a little too comfortable when it comes to biting. I allow I to an extent, but he has to push the limits. Ember is sweet. I feel bad because she always cold though. She's always on us and under the covers and her feet are freezing. I don't know what to do about it. I mean, I'm sure she's fine, but I don't like her being so cold all the time.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash......................... Yep. he is a cat.

:( I know, I hope but am not sure there are enough of the "right people". It is sad that some dogs have that kind of life. It is horrible. I hope your shelter can help. It is not easy. :(

I think you are going to make real differences. Starting is the hard part but I know you will and will be fine after it. There is something special with you, you are going to achieve many great things. You are going to make a difference in this world. I think you already are.

Awesome!!!

It is hard. We all want the perfect world but it can't exist. All we can do is our best. I know, it is hard to see cat sin cages waiting to be adopted but that is the best way for them to find good homes. It is really hard. Battling the emotions, wishing these great animals find great homes. Those feelings we have (love, caring, compassion, regrets, etc) make us better people. The world has too many cats without homes but if we can find a home for one cat it is worth it. It is hard.. :( But at least we are trying to make their lives better. That is all we can do.

You love those kittens. That is so cool. I know, it is hard to figure. Finding the balance is hard and key. Adding a cat or cats can cause an imbalance for the resident cats. But the introduction process works. But adding a cat to 1 cat is hard, adding 1 cat to 2 cats is harder still, etc. I am sure you will make the best decision. You and your mom are wise. You will make the best decision what ever it may be.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It becomes part of their personality. He doesn't mean it to hurt but it still isn't good. My girl like to nip at my typing fingers. I tell her no and she goes back to it. She doesn't hurt me but it does get annoying. :/ Yes, some cats are just colder but I am sure she is fine. And they do like to cuddle which is nice. Ember doesn't strike me as unhappy so that is really the important thing.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just coming in late to the show=do you have these toy mice?

Make sure they have the rattle inside=these mice are a favorite of every cat I have had.

I recently bought this mouse on a stick/wire=it is absolutely the favorite toy! Both my girls flick it around and play with it. I drag it around corners and new kitty comes running to try to catch it.

I apologize if these items have already been tried...the new cat loves to play=the resident cat pouts most of the time...
Sorry for not responding sooner. I'm a little in over my head currently. Thanks for the reply though. Ideas are always welcomed. I've gone through tons of mice with these cats. There's probably a dozen in the house, but, of course, I couldn't tell you where a single one is. They play with toys on their own on occasion, but not a lot and the toys usually end up lost.

I don't have that particular wand toy, but I have been through several. It may be time for a new one considering most of ours are broke, but usually I just rotate them.

Can you give her something like this?

I have considered getting Ember a sweater, but I honestly doubt she'd take to it. I put a shirt on her once just to see what she'd do and she completely flopped over like she was paralyzed. But she did take to a harness quite well, so maybe. I do have a jacket for the dog I can try getting her used to.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash......................... Yep. he is a cat.

:( I know, I hope but am not sure there are enough of the "right people". It is sad that some dogs have that kind of life. It is horrible. I hope your shelter can help. It is not easy. :(

I think you are going to make real differences. Starting is the hard part but I know you will and will be fine after it. There is something special with you, you are going to achieve many great things. You are going to make a difference in this world. I think you already are.

Awesome!!!

It is hard. We all want the perfect world but it can't exist. All we can do is our best. I know, it is hard to see cat sin cages waiting to be adopted but that is the best way for them to find good homes. It is really hard. Battling the emotions, wishing these great animals find great homes. Those feelings we have (love, caring, compassion, regrets, etc) make us better people. The world has too many cats without homes but if we can find a home for one cat it is worth it. It is hard.. :( But at least we are trying to make their lives better. That is all we can do.

You love those kittens. That is so cool. I know, it is hard to figure. Finding the balance is hard and key. Adding a cat or cats can cause an imbalance for the resident cats. But the introduction process works. But adding a cat to 1 cat is hard, adding 1 cat to 2 cats is harder still, etc. I am sure you will make the best decision. You and your mom are wise. You will make the best decision what ever it may be.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It becomes part of their personality. He doesn't mean it to hurt but it still isn't good. My girl like to nip at my typing fingers. I tell her no and she goes back to it. She doesn't hurt me but it does get annoying. :/ Yes, some cats are just colder but I am sure she is fine. And they do like to cuddle which is nice. Ember doesn't strike me as unhappy so that is really the important thing.
Fortunately, Ash seems to have mostly given up on getting Frost's food. The meowing also isn't as bad. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. It's never just one though. Either Ember and Ash both do it or neither of them. For their first dinner, it was neither. For their second, it was both.

I feel so terrible for those dogs. I couldn't imagine living in such misery and fear for so long. I hope they get good homes, but I admit I fear for the black shepherd. He's an older dog with a lot of issues and the way he acts in the kennel isn't doing him any good. One of their dogs is sweet though. Calm in the kennel, but a bit crazy once out. We had trouble getting her back on a leash to take her back in.

You're words and encouragement mean a lot me. I sure hope I do something good for this world. I can't imagine spending my life watching all the bad happen. I just have to figure out how exactly I'm going to go about it.

Unfortunately, there are way too many cats and way too many people who get kittens from ferals or strays, but then leave the mom on the street still intact. The shelter currently has 39 kittens in foster care who are too young to be adopted out. My mom and I would like to help with fostering either kittens or puppies, but don't think our cats would take well to kittens. They tolerate small dogs fairly well though.

I do love them. Though I could say the same about most animals. They're special little kittens. I really thought they'd get adopted quickly, but they're still sticking around. How can people just pass them up? I don't understand it. I just don't even know how we'd do the introduction process. We need a bigger house, but we plan on moving to another state, so there's not much point in moving now and it would be more expensive. But my room is Ember's safe room and neither the bathroom nor the storage room have heating. The only other room with a door is my mom's room and I doubt she'd be willing to set up a kitten in there. I think the boys would be okay though. They're crabby, but they're still fairly tolerant though that doesn't sound like it makes any sense. They'd probably be more annoyed than anything. Stella would welcome a kitten no problem. It's really Ember that I worry about.

Yes, I'd say he's gotten a little too used to getting away with it. He doesn't bite all that often, fortunately. He doesn't respond to no in the slightest. Honestly, Ash doesn't care about much of anything. Doesn't matter what you do, he won't stop doing what he wants to do.

I've been a bit worried about Frost because he's been so crabby lately and hasn't been playing much. I'm trying him on glucosamine again. I tried it before and didn't notice a change, but figured his behavior is more drastic and less irregular now so I might notice a subtle difference. I also dragged out a few other toys. Not a ton of interest from him. He acts like he wants to sometimes, but then doesn't. He has played a little with a feather toy, but he mostly just runs straight past it. Ember, however, has fallen in love with a mouse toy that squeaks. It's a little bit scary, actually. I don't think I've ever seen that cat run so fast. I can hardly keep it from her for two seconds. Tonight she started a weird thing where she gets it from me, carries it off, puts it in a basket, and tries to tear it to pieces. It's like she's actually trying to eat it. She seems to realize I'm the one who makes it move though. If she caught it, Ember would sometimes let go and meow at me like she was asking me to make it move again.

Silly girl LOL, and yet she's ok in a harness …. CATS
Yeah, I was actually surprised at how well she took to the harness. I was able to lure her in with treats quite easily and she got over it within a few minutes. I tried the shirt a while ago though, so who knows what she'll do now. Maybe she'll react differently.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good about Ash. Yep, they do tend to do what the other cat does. They like to follow each others direction.

:( I know. It is hard. But there are people out there that take dogs that have issues. Let's hope they can find that person. It is hard. I honestly believe 99.999% or dogs and cats are fundamentally good. They don't want to hurt etc.But some are more challenging than others.

You will, I have no doubt. You will figure it out. You are already making a difference.

Totally agree. I know, there are so many. TNR is gaining popularity though. The first part of solving a problem is identify it. Then make actions. Though it is a big task we are making a difference. The more TNR the better and a lot of people are doing it. Fostering is tough emotionally. Just think about all the issues and the balance. There are many ways to help.

Me too. I fall in love with all animals. It happens often. There are just so many kittens and not enough people. :( Yes, the intro process needs a room with a door and then gates and a lot of time etc. With work, school, resident cats, etc it is a challenge. :/ Trust me, I struggle (and have struggled many times) with the same issues. I had a mom and 4 cats in my colony. At the time I had 4 cats and 3 dogs. I actually thought about taking them in............... I know crazy but animals can pull at our hearts and think with our hearts rather than our brains. Only 1 of those cats survive at this time. BREAKS my heart. The guilt I feel often. It is never easy and I am not sure there is ever a real good answer. :(

Yep. Ash is like my girl. But she will listen for a second then go back to doing what she was doing. They are confident cats. They think They are above us. Brats.

Cats go through things like that at times. You'll know if something is wrong or he is just being lazy or bored etc. I didn't realize he had maybe a touch of arthritis as well. Ember loves it. That is great. I lvoe when they find something like that. My boy loves to play football with a ball. He will entertain himself with that. Go figure. Ember is smart, I am sure she knows you only can move it. Ember is special. They all are but Ember is really special.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash figured out how to get in the recycling bin. :frustrated:I was suspicious when I found a box in the floor, but I caught him in it and it was confirmed. I wasn't sure if it would be him or Frost since it was Frost when we had the bin more accessible. We had put it up and they hadn't gotten in it after that. It's still in reach, but higher up and they'd have to jump right into the bin, so there's isn't a really stable landing spot. Sometimes I don't know about him. We're running out of places he can't get to. Not that there were many to begin with.

Yes, there are, but then you have to worry about if they're taking them for the right reason. Sometimes people pity animals, but aren't equipped to care for them. One of the kittens that was adopted has Horner's syndrome and the lady said that it was the condition that sold him to her. That isn't as severe, but dogs with issues like resource guarding have to be carefully managed. I don't think any animal is actually bad. If they are "bad" it's typically because of people.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do now, actually. Well, trying to figure college out so I can figure everything else out.

Yes, TNR is growing. Hopefully it'll continue to grow and help. Unfortunately, every aspect of helping animals in emotionally difficult. I can't really get away from that. I don't have much time to give them at the shelter, don't have money, can't adopt... We were thinking about trying to foster a puppy when I'm on break and have the time. We won't do it if the animals can't handle it, of course. I'm having some issues with wanting a puppy myself, but can't get one right now, so the idea of fostering is pretty appealing to me.

It's really difficult. I could probably handle an additional cat, but it would take all my time. It would certainly make things difficult which is why we haven't added another! Really, I'm not usually like this with kittens. They're adorable, but they're kind of obnoxious and they don't have the same individuality as adults. On top of that, I don't really worry about them because they get adopted so fast! But these three are so sweet and have been at the shelter longer that I thought they'd be. Not only is it upsetting to see them there so long, but it's allowed me to get more attached. It's always hard to see animals in tough situations. They deserve so much better, both the ones in the shelters and the ones on the streets.

I'm not sure that Frost has arthritis, but thought it wouldn't hurt to treat for me. Glucosamine is pretty harmless. I figure they came from the same breeder who might not have been the best and Ash was diagnosed when he was six. Wouldn't be so strange for Frost to develop arthritis at eight. If it helps, then I know what it is. If it doesn't, then I move on. A lot of his behavior could just be getting older, but it just seems like it's gotten so drastic lately.

Ember is special. She's my baby girl. She's weird about this mouse though. She keeps it in a basket. If I take it out, she'll put it back. And she tries to eat it. She has to have her meal in a bowl. That or it's her new pet and the basket is its cage. I'm not sure which. Right now I guess it gets to free range because she hasn't put it back in the basket yet since I took it out again. I have a video that I want to upload, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yep. I resigned myself to the fact my girl can get into everything. :( Ash is still better than her. :/

:( I agree. People have to adopt for the right reasons and understand what they are getting into. It goes with special needs animals but just animals in general. I struggle with the "free" adoptions etc. Is everyone getting an animal fully committed? On balance are they positive even though some don't work out? It is so hard and I surely don't have the answer. :( I agree, the people typically are the problem, not the animal. Very rarely is it is chemical imbalance issue in my experience.

Well, take things one thing at a time, prioritize, think long term. College degrees are really important and offer opportunities that are not available to those without. You have a long life ahead to make a difference. If you put your mind to something I have no doubt you can achieve it. So just take a step back and think things through. If you ever need an opinion feel free to ask.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult emotionally. I can't tell you how may times I have cried uncontrollably. I am emotional by nature but dealing with what I deal with is hard for anyone let alone someone sensitive like me. But TNR is the best solution in my opinion. Don;t worry about time, money, etc. Just do what you can and if you can't because you need to study that is ok. Because you have the future to make a difference. Life is a journey, not a destination. Not everything can be done at once. Pups are definitely easier than cats. Just think it through and don't feel guilty if you can't.

It really is difficult. You have a lot going on. You could work with another cat but it might just be too much given everything. It is hard to balance our heart against our brain. And people typically overestimate their abilities and that is when things can go wrong. You are intelligent. You will make the right decision. Just don't feel guilty. Those emotions don't really help anyone. Easier said than done as I deal with that all the time but worrying never solves anything. I know with kittens. I only take in old feral cats because they are less likely to be adopted. I would love kittens BUT then a feral wouldn't have a home. Your thinking is understandable and spot on. We just can't do everything. It is hard and emotionally draining. But understanding what we can and can't do and control is what we have to accept and acceptance helps (even though it doesn't change the situation). I am sure they will get adopted.

That makes sense. You are very logical which is great. It is hard to know what is causing things.

She really is. There is that bond between you two. I was wondering if she thought it was her kitten. She loves that toy. That is really cute. I have seen cats like that. It is really cute. Hahahaha, free range. Would be fun to see her in the video. I do know a lot of people have trouble with uploading videos. I know they do it through youtube but I have no idea how to do any of that. I am not computer savvy. I can barely deal with a computer. :( I am from the old generation.......................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yep. I resigned myself to the fact my girl can get into everything. :( Ash is still better than her. :/

:( I agree. People have to adopt for the right reasons and understand what they are getting into. It goes with special needs animals but just animals in general. I struggle with the "free" adoptions etc. Is everyone getting an animal fully committed? On balance are they positive even though some don't work out? It is so hard and I surely don't have the answer. :( I agree, the people typically are the problem, not the animal. Very rarely is it is chemical imbalance issue in my experience.

Well, take things one thing at a time, prioritize, think long term. College degrees are really important and offer opportunities that are not available to those without. You have a long life ahead to make a difference. If you put your mind to something I have no doubt you can achieve it. So just take a step back and think things through. If you ever need an opinion feel free to ask.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult emotionally. I can't tell you how may times I have cried uncontrollably. I am emotional by nature but dealing with what I deal with is hard for anyone let alone someone sensitive like me. But TNR is the best solution in my opinion. Don;t worry about time, money, etc. Just do what you can and if you can't because you need to study that is ok. Because you have the future to make a difference. Life is a journey, not a destination. Not everything can be done at once. Pups are definitely easier than cats. Just think it through and don't feel guilty if you can't.

It really is difficult. You have a lot going on. You could work with another cat but it might just be too much given everything. It is hard to balance our heart against our brain. And people typically overestimate their abilities and that is when things can go wrong. You are intelligent. You will make the right decision. Just don't feel guilty. Those emotions don't really help anyone. Easier said than done as I deal with that all the time but worrying never solves anything. I know with kittens. I only take in old feral cats because they are less likely to be adopted. I would love kittens BUT then a feral wouldn't have a home. Your thinking is understandable and spot on. We just can't do everything. It is hard and emotionally draining. But understanding what we can and can't do and control is what we have to accept and acceptance helps (even though it doesn't change the situation). I am sure they will get adopted.

That makes sense. You are very logical which is great. It is hard to know what is causing things.

She really is. There is that bond between you two. I was wondering if she thought it was her kitten. She loves that toy. That is really cute. I have seen cats like that. It is really cute. Hahahaha, free range. Would be fun to see her in the video. I do know a lot of people have trouble with uploading videos. I know they do it through youtube but I have no idea how to do any of that. I am not computer savvy. I can barely deal with a computer. :( I am from the old generation.......................
Cats... What can you do with them other than love them? Ash got Frost's food again. I let my guard down and he snuck past me.

Yeah, free adoptions can be quite dangerous. People do need to adopt with the right intentions and knowledge. Otherwise it often ends badly for everyone involved, animal and human.

The long term is the issue. I planned on getting an animal behavior degree, but the school is expensive and not in a state I'd want to live in, so it would delay our moving. What I'd really like to do, if I didn't open my own shelter, is work at home so that way I could care for my animals and volunteer. In that case, I don't need the animal behavior degree and was thinking about finding a college wherever we end up moving. But I'm still drawn to the degree.

I tend to be more emotional than I like to admit, honestly. Especially with animals. I've almost cried sitting in the dog kennels at the shelter. I just can't imagine what they've gone through and felt being dropped off at such a strange place. And they're just so sweet. They want nothing more than your love. And your food. We took a dog to an event and she got into the front seat because the kennel fell apart. She shoved herself into the floor by the passenger seat (she was a big dog) and laid her head on my lap. She just about broke the both of us. I do plan on introducing Stella to puppies first to see how she'd tolerate them before trying to foster. And I'm going to take a couple of online classes next semester, so hopefully I'll have more time if it does go well.

I think we overestimated our abilities a while ago. :rolleyes: We're better off now and I do think we could make another cat work, but it would definitely be hard. But Nicholson (the one we fell in love with) is getting adopted! :yess: I was there Friday and was told he was going home Monday. We're going tomorrow morning to say goodbye. I might actually cry. Lol. I'll sure miss him, but I'm so happy. They're getting so big! McIlroy (least affectionate, but still very sweet) in particular is a lot heavier than he was. Nicholson seemed to change the least. I'm still in love with Palmer though. I tried to put him back in his cage, he looked in, and then jerked back and clung to me. He was getting squirmy though, so I thought he wanted down. No, he just wanted to roll onto his back and be held like a baby. There is a little gray female (younger than them) who is even worse than Nicholson. She'll literally jump out of the cage to get to you. I had to catch her because I went to take another out and she jumped with very little warning. She scratched me up a bit because of her clinging to me.

Well, it's cheaper than going to the vet and I really want to get Ember to the vet. My brother's cat needs to go to the vet too. They had fleas due to the semi-ferals getting into their basement and the tuxedo scratched up the back of her neck. The fleas are gone, but she still won't stop scratching and they had to put a cone on her.

I don't know, she's awfully rough with it. She shakes it and chews on it. But it's allowed out of the basket some of the time and then gets put back in the basket. Sometimes she carries it around and then puts it back... I always say she's taking it for a walk. I'm going to get the video uploaded, but it's on my phone and I can't email it to myself because it's too big. I'm probably going to have to upload it to YouTube on my phone, but that just sounds like a major pain. I'll figure it out though. I'm not that great with technology either, honestly. I know enough to get by.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EXACTLY!!! :livid: OH ASH........................

Yes, totally agree. I HOPE that the shelters etc crunch the data and see if the benefits exceed the risks. Sadly, I see so many situations (people) who really shouldn't have animals. Some days it just breaks me down. :bawling2:

Yes, that is tricky. Can you take credits that are easily transferable both in terms of other schools AND with regard to eventual degree? So to get the prerequisites and then decide on the final major in a year or 2? Also, don't forget to look for grants, scholarships, etc. There is a lot of money around but a lot of times you have to dig around and ask. Education is going to be more and more important especially specific types of education. You'll make the best decision. I will say, not going right away tends to reduce the probability of eventually doing it. it is much harder to go back as a person gets older since life tends to get in the way. We all face those struggles of figuring out how best to proceed. You are smart, just keep thinking about what is best. But these debates and analysis and learning how to handle tough choices and make decisions is a learning experience for your future. Though it is hard at the moment it is a positive building block in your life skills.

I think most of us are more emotional than we like to admit. But that shows us we care and have empathy. It is how we respond to it. It can paralyze some people which doesn't help anything (and makes it worse) and others are mobilized by it and try to make a difference. I don't think anything is wrong with showing emotions. It can be very helpful. Sometimes people say women are too emotional and men can't show emotion. But being human is being emotional. And I think the more human we are the better we are.

It is hard to see an animal with a tough life, a tough history, It is hard (for most of us) to see humans with the same. Animals just have pure love, such innocence. I can picture that dog in your lap. The eyes. It really does make us come to tears at times. They just want to be loved. I am a big believer that animals can sense our emotions and how the way we feel impacts them. I just don't believe animals are born mean, I think they tend to learn it (like people). If we can treat animals better we can learn and treat other people better and keep making positive impacts on relationships. I do think animals can have a bigger impact on society than many think. As we talked before, the more education when kids are younger the more helpful it could be to them, the animals and society.

Human nature is to overestimate our abilities. We all do it, I do it.

Wow, very cool. I hope Nicholson has a wonderful life. If the home he is going to is 10% of your home he will be in great hands!!! Awwww, you are saying goodbye. That is sweet. I know I would be crying!!! Cat do get big fast. McIIroy sure must like to eat. :) Awwww, Palmer. That is so sweet. They do that and oh it is so hard to let go of them. It is heartbreaking when they just love so much. When they expose their belly you are so in!! Someone sure likes golfers at the rescue. Yes, kittens can scratch a bit but they don't mean it. I get scratched now (and that tells me it is time to trim their nails). Part of being a cat owner. They don't mean to hurt us.

Oh my. My outside ferals want to come in the house. In fact, the other day one of the guys jumped in but luckily I was able to get him out. This happens once in a while EVEN if I am careful but I can't move as fast as I used to. Yeah, we don't want them getting in. :( At least the fleas are gone. It is best to get them into a vet just in case.

Interesting, she sounds like she is really cute with it. You found a toy she loves!! :hyper: Yes, others use youtube. I don't have any idea how to do it though. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash is a brat.

I sure hope so. I know what you mean about people who shouldn't have animals. There's way too many like that.

I'm hoping some of what I've taken and will be taking next semester will transfer to just about anywhere. It's just basic stuff like bio 101 and college algebra. But after this next semester I'll be done with credits going towards the animal behavior degree, so I'm wanting to figure out where we might live and what college I'd go to there. Then I can ask for classes that will transfer there. But first we have to figure out where we're going to live.

I've pretty much always been quite empathetic. I don't think I could sit back and watch all the bad happen without trying to do something. Even if it hurts for me to see it. We can certainly benefit from people caring and seeing things from other's perspectives.

It's so hard. It's really hard because they just don't know. They don't know what's going on, why they're there, what happened, where their people went... They've just had their entire world turned upside and they don't know why. And yet they're still so sweet and so loving and want so little. They do have a huge impact on us and we have a huge impact on them. We're all connected. We're all living in the same world. Education is something we need.

I hope his owners are great. He deserves the best. And I hope the other two get homes soon too. Or I'm going to be grabbing Palmer against my better judgement. My mom gave them a blanket that she made today and Palmer loved it. Nicholson wouldn't let me put him down. He'd jump right back onto my shoulder. Even tried to get on my head because I kept putting him back. Is that where their names come from? I don't know anything sports-related, but I should've known. All the litters get themed names and these three were found on a golf course! They definitely don't mean to scratch, but their claws aren't trimmed enough at the shelter. They're all super sharp.

Yeah, there's a way into their basement from the outside the ferals are apparently still getting in, but no more fleas. My brother said he found the kittens hissing at the door to the basement and there were a couple of cats right on the other side.

It's really funny to watch. She's somewhat less obsessive with it and gets tired of me taking it out to play with her fairly quickly. It was only somewhat recently that I learned to upload videos to YouTube, but I still don't fully understand it. I hate doing stuff on my phone though.

So my mom and I fell in love with a German Shepherd up at the shelter today. :rolleyes: :doh: He's brand new and we don't know anything about his age, background, etc, but he seems a bit older. Very quiet, very sweet. My mom fell in love with him instantly. He's not really my kind of dog because he isn't food or toy motivated, but it turns out he's perfectly happy working for attention. I got him coming to me and sitting for me rather quickly. He's also one of the only dogs there that isn't completely dog obsessed. Obviously, we can't have him. No room, no time, and Stella doesn't like bigger dogs. But we're trying to convince my brother to take him. Lol. It's not going over so well.