Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Was he drinking enough the last few days? Was he eating his wet food well? What does the vet think it might be? Poor Ash. Ughhhhh.

Yes. And even the smartest people make the same mistakes. Human nature sadly. BUT maybe we can make less of them.......... I too am a big fan of learning about people. There are so many fascinating people doing fascinating things that we never hear of. But if we can it is very cool. Yeah, I haven't watched a new release movie in years, they are garbage. I do love the old movies though. Really good characters, story lines, etc. Yes, some of the real life stuff is depressing but we have to know what is going on and figure out a way to make it better. But watching Star Wars is kind of a waste of time in my opinion. BUT people need to escape sometimes...............

Makes sense. I always wonder for great dogs like him.

Yes. But we have to shut down to protect people. So it doesn't spread. It is serious but if we all come together and protect each other we will get through it. Hopefully the world thinks of other people so as not to spread the virus to those vulnerable. We are living history right now sadly. I just tried to buy cat food and it is not available. It is scary. Just make sure you have at least a month of food for the dogs and cats and make sure you have food for yourself and your mom etc. I wish people wouldn't hoard and think of others BUT I understand the fear. CDC has very good advice on how to protect yourself and others.

Please let us know how Ash is doing. I wish he gets well soon. At least you have a good vet so you will get to the bottom of it.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who knows? I saw him drinking yesterday, but I very rarely see him drink normally. He eats the wet food fine, he's been eating his UR food, he's on an anti-inflammatory... Still thinking stress, hence the anti-anxiety medicine. He's pretty drugged right now. Mostly just sleeping. He has peed a few times and it looks like a decent amount.

It would be nice if we could learn a thing or two from our past. Most people don't seem interested though. I don't watch movies too often, but I admit I'm too used to the special affects and quality of the new movies. I don't think watching movies for fun is a waste of time. It's not really any different than me reading fictional books, so it would be unfair if I did.

I do too. They're all great, but some just don't seem like the kind of dog you'd find at a shelter. It's sad that so many people give them up so easily.

I understand, but it really sucks. I was looking forward to the dog show. It seems like we're finally finding things to do and enjoy to get out of the house and now we're right back in the house! I do need to restock on cat food. It's on autoship, so I forget about it sometimes. It's not the most well-known brand, though, so hopefully it won't be an issue. We have plenty of food for ourselves and Stella should be fine. I always get a big bag of dog food that lasts a while.

I will.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, cats like to drink when we aren't watching. I am SO GLAD he has peed a few times and good/decent amounts. I am so glad he is eating his UR food. I am glad he is resting. Let's hope it is "just" anxiety. I hope he gets better really soon.

So true. But it is understandable. When I was young I wasn't interested. :/. But I grew up and appreciated it. Others will as well. Well, you are young. I thought you didn't like the special effects etc.I could have seen you in more of the indie film more thought provoking type films. Some day watch Casablanca or something. The old movies are really dramatic but don't have the "bling" of new movies.

:( Yes. I agree, every dog is great. Yes, I wonder about some dogs in the shelters but they do find good homes. It is easy to find homes for dogs. Thank goodness. It really is sad to see dogs be given up. Sometimes it is for reasons that can't be helped and some are silly reasons (but I guess those with silly reasons probably shouldn't have a dog anyway).

I know. But if we all do it then we can get it over sooner and of course be safer and save lives. It is really important to stop the spread. We will get back to normal hopefully soon. I hope it will be available. You may want to add another bag since future disruptions might happen. You may want to check. I was really surprised of the availability issues. I am so glad you and Stella have enough food.

Thanks. I feel like I know Ash. I am feeling better getting your update. He sounds better on this message, let's hope he continues getting better.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash seemed to have been peeing a lot while medicated yesterday. I saw him at the bowl a couple of times within a few minutes and he'd gone on the puppy pad four or five times in just the second half of the day. The vet said I could decide whether or not Ash needed to be medicated every 12 hours or every 24 hours because we don't want him so heavily medicated he doesn't even get up to pee. I didn't end up giving him the medicine last night since he seemed a tiny bit out of it and, to be honest, I didn't like seeing him so out of it. It was a bit amusing watching him try to walk, but the idea of keeping him like that is a bit sad. So I gave to him this morning, but he hasn't used the puppy pad at all since yesterday evening. My mom saw him in the litter box, but I think he pooped, so at this point I'm not sure if or how much he's peeing. The good news (I think) is that he doesn't seem so out of it today. Still a bit drowsy, but he even had a moment where he got a bit crazy just a little while ago. Didn't last long.

Hopefully. It depends on the special effects, I suppose. I watched movies with my dad quite a lot. We'd see just about every kid-friendly movie that came out, so that's kind of what I got used to. I do like thought-provoking things sometimes, but then I also like things that require less thought. Just sort of depends on my mood. I really like "alternate world" types of things and learning about different cultures/ways of life. Like I love Avatar, but could totally skip the action parts of it. I just liked learning about the world of Pandora and seeing how they lived. That movie is absolutely beautiful and it really reflects what we've done and what we're currently doing to our own world.

Unfortunately, it seems like there's always more dogs that need homes. It's hard to believe the number of animals in shelters. Honestly, I think most reasons are silly. I find it hard to believe that there's so many times where there's just no choice. Not saying that people don't sometimes end up in those situations, but I can't see it happening so often. I would have to be pretty desperate to surrender my animals and it would be for their sake, not mine. It seems like a lot of people get a dog without thinking about their future plans and what they'll do with their dog.

I hope this is all over soon. It's surprisingly hard not being able to get out and do stuff. We're already wanting to plan things just to remember we can't! I do need to order the cats' American Journey food. I'm probably going to go to PetSmart tomorrow to get a few random cans. We just got the bag of UR dry though and they don't get much of that. Just got Fancy Feast as well. We're definitely not short on food; we just get so many different kinds!

I sure hope he gets better... I could probably be fostering a puppy if it weren't for him. Then again, he's pretty drugged. He probably wouldn't care. :p

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Poor Ash. It is good you are trying to balance it. At least he is peeing. If he got crazy he must be feeling a little better? At least it was some.

That makes sense. They are pretty cool. It is nice to learn but also escape a bit. Fun.

:( Yes. Dogs are more shelter animals while cats sometimes get dumped etc. It is really sad. I too understand there may be a reason but I think that bar has to be high. It should be high. I am totally on the same page as you. :/ Sometimes I get really frustrated and sad and how people are................................

I hope so too but I get a sense it may not be. PLEASE be careful. Young people in Italy and France are now getting sick. Yes, I hope that the cat food supply is available. If we don't stop the spread of this virus soon it could cause issues. It is so unprecedented, we have never gone through something like this before to this extent. Just make sure you have a good supply both for the animals and for you and your mom. And please keep away from people, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, stay at home as much as possible, disinfect those places you touch when coming from outside. Things like that. Just please be really careful. Don't panic but just be really vigilant.

I hope so too. Poor guy. I just hope he gets better soon. I really like Ash. There will be plenty of time to foster a puppy. Right now just get Ash well and make sure you take care of yourself and your mom. I hope in a few months we can talk about fun stuff again and a foster puppy!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The medication doesn't seem to be affecting him much anymore. I've started giving it to him twice a day because of that. He's been acting pretty much normally and has had some crazy moments, though I'd say they're probably a bit shorter than usual. But otherwise you wouldn't even be able to tell he was medicated. If I wasn't the one giving it to him, I'd probably doubt it. He's also returned to using the litter boxes which is good, but it's harder for me to keep an eye on him. I have seen him in the litter box a few times today though.

It's very frustrating. I understand life changes, but how many ways can it change in a manner that doesn't allow you to keep your animal? We've looked into renting and it would be really difficult and really expensive to rent with any animals, let alone four, but we're not getting rid of them! Rather, we're just looking to buy so we don't have to worry about it.

We are. We've never been the most sociable people anyway and now there's not much of a reason to get out since most places are closing. Even the shelter has decided to close to the public though volunteers are still allowed. I'm perfectly content spending time with animals though some people are worried about that even. I don't fully understand the worry about animals. I've heard from the vet and from people at the shelter that dogs don't get the same coronavirus that we do.

He's a good cat. Troublesome at times, but still good. I certainly will.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is great. Thanks for the good update. I hope he is getting back to normal. Fingers crossed.

I totally agree. I can understand certain situations but not for most of them. But we live in a superficial, throwaway world. People don't value things/lives like they probably should. Renting is hard with animals. :(

Now is a good time to be unsociable!! I am the same way. I am not one to socialize much. Now, I have stopped TNR because of the risks. :( But I have to sadly.

Yes, animals can't get it they think BUT the virus can be on their fur. So if a person is infected and sheds virus on their hand and then pets the animal then you come around and pet the animal (getting virus on your hand) then you touch your face or nose you can get infected. I am not sure how risky it is but it is a risk. Vets could be at risk. Best thing to do is make sure you wash your hands well, don't touch your face, and if you are around an animal that has been around another human you may want to change clothes and wash them immediately.

Hahahaha, aren't they all? Ash is a good cat. He is a "Love Kitten" as I call them. Actually, all your animals are great. I feel like I know them. They are all unique and special. I do think animals are a good reflection of the humans!! Pretty cool.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems a little tired today, but mostly normal. He's consistently using the litterbox and I've certainly seen him use it more than I used to. So far things seem good.

It's unfortunate that that's what our world has become, but it's definitely true. We need to change that, but I'm not sure how. It's hard to make people care.

Yep. Makes it a little easier to transition though it's still harder than I expected. I didn't think about the TNR though. That sucks, but I guess it's necessary.

Well, I'm always washing my hands at work because I do gross work! I heard on the news that they said to wash hands after contact with pets though, but they didn't say why or in what situations. If it was just other people's pets or your own included... I thought it was sort of odd to wash your hands after petting your own pets. What are they exposed to that you aren't? But I could understand doing so after contact with other people's pets.

They are great. I do love them. And Ash has actually been less trouble since being put on Gabapentin. He's only been on the counters a couple of times.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so great. I hope he is over whatever it was. I am guessing the Gaba is causing his tiredness. Just so good that he is going more normally. Keep getting better Ash!!

So true. I guess by example maybe. Someday narcissism might be uncool............ Hopefully people learn from this current experience and think about others since we all depend on each other really in order to succeed.

Yes. It is hard. But maybe a good time to use to think etc. :( Yes, it is sad. But for safety I have to but I think everyone may have to. The young are getting pretty sick now, the old. And if someone gets it they can carry it and give it to others even if they feel ok. It is really a bad virus. :( Breaks my heart.

Hahahaha, yep. Actually it is a good time to do "gross work" since it makes us wash our hands more. Yeah, it is tricky. If you and your mom were totally isolated and not infected then the pets would probably not have anything. But of course we do get groceries, or packages, or mail which could carry virus. So even though some items don't hold virus for long say the mailman or the delivery guy coughs on the mail or package right before you touch it. The virus could gt on your hands or if the cat or dog rubs on it then it could be on them. So washing your hands right away is good but if virus in on your hands and then you touch the pet then your mom touches the pet and then touches her face she could theoretically be infected. And the difficulty is people infected can be asymptomatic but still pass it along. It is something to be aware of, not to panic about though. Just make sure you don't touch your face if possible. And wash counters or places that are in contact with hands, items, etc. So that is the thinking behind the caution. I hope that makes some sense.

And make sure you eat well, gets lots of sleep, try not to be stressed, etc so your immune system is as strong as possible.

They really are. "A couple of times". That is so funny. He must be doing pretty well. Let's hope it continues. Keep taking good care of him like you are.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so too. He went back to using the puppy pad a bit, but he's still using the litterbox as well.

I sure hope that happens. We definitely need to learn how much we rely, not just on each other, but on the environment and the other species.

Too much time to think. I already overthink everything. Well, lets hope we get through this pretty soon and things can start going back to normal.

Yeah, that's true. I have to wash my hands a lot though I usually try to do a bunch of the gross work at once rather to minimize my hand washing, but I have been a bit more careful. I don't work much with people, fortunately, but do touch things that other people touch since I do the cleaning, stocking, etc.

I guess I understand, but it still seems like a rather small risk. I mean, there's nothing coming into the house that we didn't touch first. Now I'll be worried about all the mail though... It does seem like people are starting to realize that that symptoms aren't so straightforward. Technically, I could've already had the virus. I was never tested. I was tested for the flu, which came back negative. It was then assumed that I had strep, but I didn't get tested for it. At that time it seemed people weren't worried unless you were out of the country or knew you were in contact with someone who had been out of the country, and you had to have some very specific symptoms. I didn't have the shortness of breath or anything, but now people are saying they've tested positive and haven't had those symptoms.

Will do. Though it seems like everything is going downhill... I've been informed that the shelter has hired someone else and they're only allowing volunteers for dog walking, so there's rather little for me to do there.

A couple of times is good for him! It's usually after almost every meal, plus frequently when we eat. He seems sleepy again today, but can't say that's entirely out of the norm. I think I'm just watching him more.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he used the puppy pad because he was lazy? Is he going more often than you would think?

So true!!!

Yes, and with what is going on it is easy to overthink. But we have to think about things we can control. And prioritize what we can and can't do. It is a good time to appreciate what we have, try to make sure we enjoy our loved ones. Appreciate how precious life really is. One person I am helping is home with their cats instead of being at work. If we all do the right things then we can get over this sooner with less pain. Let's hope.

That is so good you are aware. Please just stay aware and be careful.

It is probably small but it is best to be careful. On mail, if you put it somewhere, wash your hands, let it sit for 3 days, and then open it you should be ok. Just make sure you don;t touch your face and try not to touch surfaces that come into contact with anything from outside. Some doctors are saying leave packages outside for a day or if you get a food delivery open it up outside, have someone take what is inside the bag inside the house, throw the bag out and wash your hands before touching anything. Just be as careful as possible.

Yes, the symptoms can range from none to really, really bad stuff. So the only real way to know is to get tested. BUT right now testing capacity is really limited and should only be for those that may have it. Even now not everyone can get tested as there are shortages of people and reagents. I heard about a guy that the doctor said it was just "the flu" and he couldn't be tested and he ended up going into the ER. He survived but he said it felt like his lungs were on fire. He started with a dry cough then it progressed. He looked young, like 40. Another guy tested positive and just had a little cough. 4 of 5 people that got it supposedly got it from someone who didn't know they had it. Some day everyone will be tested but not anytime soon. Just be really careful and the advice I got was act like you have the virus so that you don't inadvertently give it to anyone and that you stay way from others to get it. It is new and there are a lot of unknowns. Just be careful. I am taking severe precautions.

Good, I am glad you are keeping your immune system in the best possible shape. Sleep is really important as well as eating well. :( Yes, things are going to be really tough. Hopefully the government can help those in need (not sure they will but I hope). 2 million people are going to lose their jobs this week. It is really, really sad. It is probably best that you aren't needed as much there so you don't have to interact with people. It is best to stay home as much as possible.

Yes, I thought so. That is good. :( Yeah, I am sure he is getting used to the gaba. I am sure you are watching him more. I know when I watch mine I get more "nit picky".

Hang in there. We will get through this. There are going to be tough times, sad times, it is going to get worse. But just do your best and protect yourself and your mom. And try to balance the worry and stress and all the unknowns and focus on what you can control and try not to stress about things we can't control. The less stress we have the better our immune system.

Let us know how Ash is doing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ah-hah!
It's taken me a couple of days to find the post where you talked about this;

I heard on the news that they said to wash hands after contact with pets though, but they didn't say why or in what situations. If it was just other people's pets or your own included... I thought it was sort of odd to wash your hands after petting your own pets. What are they exposed to that you aren't? But I could understand doing so after contact with other people's pets.
C calicosrspecial is right, and I thought I'd post this for you in addition;

Information about pets and Covid-19 from WHO and the ASPCA

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he used the puppy pad because he was lazy? Is he going more often than you would think?

So true!!!

Yes, and with what is going on it is easy to overthink. But we have to think about things we can control. And prioritize what we can and can't do. It is a good time to appreciate what we have, try to make sure we enjoy our loved ones. Appreciate how precious life really is. One person I am helping is home with their cats instead of being at work. If we all do the right things then we can get over this sooner with less pain. Let's hope.

That is so good you are aware. Please just stay aware and be careful.

It is probably small but it is best to be careful. On mail, if you put it somewhere, wash your hands, let it sit for 3 days, and then open it you should be ok. Just make sure you don;t touch your face and try not to touch surfaces that come into contact with anything from outside. Some doctors are saying leave packages outside for a day or if you get a food delivery open it up outside, have someone take what is inside the bag inside the house, throw the bag out and wash your hands before touching anything. Just be as careful as possible.

Yes, the symptoms can range from none to really, really bad stuff. So the only real way to know is to get tested. BUT right now testing capacity is really limited and should only be for those that may have it. Even now not everyone can get tested as there are shortages of people and reagents. I heard about a guy that the doctor said it was just "the flu" and he couldn't be tested and he ended up going into the ER. He survived but he said it felt like his lungs were on fire. He started with a dry cough then it progressed. He looked young, like 40. Another guy tested positive and just had a little cough. 4 of 5 people that got it supposedly got it from someone who didn't know they had it. Some day everyone will be tested but not anytime soon. Just be really careful and the advice I got was act like you have the virus so that you don't inadvertently give it to anyone and that you stay way from others to get it. It is new and there are a lot of unknowns. Just be careful. I am taking severe precautions.

Good, I am glad you are keeping your immune system in the best possible shape. Sleep is really important as well as eating well. :( Yes, things are going to be really tough. Hopefully the government can help those in need (not sure they will but I hope). 2 million people are going to lose their jobs this week. It is really, really sad. It is probably best that you aren't needed as much there so you don't have to interact with people. It is best to stay home as much as possible.

Yes, I thought so. That is good. :( Yeah, I am sure he is getting used to the gaba. I am sure you are watching him more. I know when I watch mine I get more "nit picky".

Hang in there. We will get through this. There are going to be tough times, sad times, it is going to get worse. But just do your best and protect yourself and your mom. And try to balance the worry and stress and all the unknowns and focus on what you can control and try not to stress about things we can't control. The less stress we have the better our immune system.

Let us know how Ash is doing.
It's possible. He definitely seems to be peeing more than usual. Of course, with three cats it's hard to know exactly who's doing what, but it seems like it's been quite a bit more since he's been on Gabapentin and the new food. When I cleaned the litter boxes out, one was full of pee and the other was mostly poo with some pee. The other two only had a little bit of pee as they don't use those as much.

Yeah, but it's easy to linger on the things we can't fix or control. I never thought not being able to get out of the house would be an issue for me, but it sucks. I miss volunteering. My birthday is coming up and at this point I'm a bit nervous to even see my family because my dad is never very cautious about illnesses. I couldn't tell you how many times I've gone just to find out my sister is sick. But that's all I have left to do. Dog show is canceled, movies are shut down...

Well, only package I'm expected is from Chewy. Not sure if I'm going to be able to leave that out much because I'm afraid I'll be getting it right as I run out of American Journey. They said their deliveries are running a bit behind. But we'll be as careful as we can be.

It's definitely a difficult situation. It seems like this virus is constantly proving everyone wrong with just how bad it is. We can't even say to look for specific symptoms anymore.

Yeah, it's been a bit scary for us since we're both a bit new to our jobs. However, my mom has been of a lot help and I don't think her coworkers want her gone. They are asking if people are willing to cut a few hours. My job is taking precautions and cutting their hours, but nothing that affects me yet. They're going to limit the people coming in. People will stay in their cars if possible and use a tablet to communicate with the vet over Facetime. I don't really interact with people much anyway though. Even for as long as I've been volunteering at that shelter, I only know a handful of people and most don't have long conversations with me. More of a "Hi, how are you. Okay, goodbye," sort of thing unless they want me to take pictures of a specific animal. I go out in the play yards by myself to take pictures. And they have a huge list of animals that need pictures done. You'd think they'd want as much help as possible to keep animals getting adopted.

He's definitely gotten used to the medication. I am watching him pretty closely. He seems to be doing well though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is really good he is so hydrated. Great news. So glad to hear that. Hopefully that will stop his issues going forward.

SO true. It is VERY hard not to focus on things we have no control over or to be frustrated by it etc. But I think it is an important part. To try our best to focus on things we can make a difference on. If I could stop this virus I would but I can only do my part by limiting my exposure so I don't get infected and if I do get infected I don;t infect someone else. And if everyone does their part we can get through this. But it is also in other parts of life. The feral cat population. It breaks my heart all the sadness in the feral cat world. But all we can do is what we can. So TNR. Take cats in that need help if we can. Balancing things we can impact and those we can't and accepting it can help with our stress levels which help our immune system. There is a lot of unfairness, sadness, etc in the world. People not affording food, terrible illnesses, no clean water, victims of crime, etc. But if people do their part an some become doctors and some policemen, some donate money, some their time/labor. Focusing on what you can change and what you can't and then be proactive the best you can may help with the coping of the unknowns, the scary things. It is that lack of control, that feeling of not being in control that is very hard. SO the more we can do things that help us feel we have more control can maybe help us cope more.

I know it is hard. But what you are doing is protecting yourself and others which is really important. We will get through this. Sometimes we have to have short term pain for long term gain. So we go to school (which few kids really like to do) but it is important to get a base of knowledge so that we can become self supporting. Or we go to the doctor and they poke us with things or put things in places we don't feel comfortable for the long term benefit (to get us or keep us healthy). Some of those things last only a short time, this one is going to last a longer time. BUT if we all do what is necessary we can stop this virus and return to normal life sooner.

It is especially hard for a young person. Some of us have gone through a lot in life so we maybe are a little more accepting. Of course nothing like this has ever happened on this scale. I know you are strong and I know this is not fun, scary, etc but it will pass. We will learn from this, be better prepared next time to save lives. We will find positives in this, it is just right now it is hard to see. There is going to be a lot of sadness. Hopefully it makes us think of others more, be more respectful to others, be more of a community, to help others, to be less selfish. I am hopeful that the loss we will suffer will be able to be learned from and make the world a better place.

You will be volunteering again. Just as I will hopefully be doing TNR again and helping people with intros and behavioral problems again. But we need to make it through this. So we have to do our part.

I hope your father understands the risks not only to himself but to others. It is really important we all do our part so as not to get infected and most importantly not to spread it to anyone (vulnerable or not). I fear young people are not taking this seriously enough. :(

I personally would stay in house as much as possible and limit any interactions if at all possible. Hopefully in a few months you can have an even grander birthday party where everyone can be there and be there safely. Since transmission is so easy it is best to keep as much separation as possible. I just had a birthday as well. I am just glad I made it to this point. I hope I get to the next one. :/ But I am going to wish you an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You are lucky you don't have to here me sing to you though!!! :)

Yes, I just got Chewy and expect other parts of the order today and tomorrow. What I am going to do is wipe down the box with a bleach wipe. All sides of it. That way if the driver has Covid 19 it should kill the virus. Then I will bring it inside and let it sit (put it somewhere where the cats and dogs can;t get to it. Then wait a few days in order for any virus that may be on the package or cans to weaken before opening and taking the things out. The one thing I will be careful of is not having the bleach soak through the cardboard box. Virus can stay on paper, cardboard for 1-2 days while it can stay on copper or steel (cans) for 3-4 days.

My chewy deliveries were about 4-5 days behind.

Yes. It has surprised most people sadly. It is impacting young people more than anyone ever thought it would. It seems to impact smokers more. Men possibly more. Those with lung, heart, diabetes, I think liver. Those with immune issues (cancer, those on immuno suppressants). But there is not enough data yet. For those elderly with pre-existing conditions it is very serious. But it is impacting younger people. The key is to slow down the spread so hospital resources will be available for those that need it. For supplies to catch up to protect the doctors and nurses. The best thing we can do is to avoid getting it by social distancing/isolation and doing the same to avoid transmitting it to anyone else. Yes, the best assumption is to assume everyone has it and to not get close to anyone (to either get it or transmit it). Asymptomatic people are inadvertently spreading it sadly. But many people have a dry cough, a fever and if it gets tough to breathe then getting ER help might be necessary. But do your best to not contract it especially for your mom.

:( Yes, it is hard. Hopefully your mom's company is not affected too much and has good practices in place to not spread the virus etc and to get through the economic impact. Yes, vets will be limiting interaction and probably limiting appointments to those that are essential. They are doing the right thing limiting contact but it can be transmitted via animal fur. SO they need to take precautions and then you need to given surface contact risk. It is a whole new way of thinking. But if we stop it now the faster we can return to more "normal". To try to limit the pain.

And hopefully the government helps those that will be in need. Half the country can't afford an emergency $500 bill so there are a lot of vulnerable people out there. It is heartbreaking.

We could go crazy worrying about everything. And worry hurts our immune system so it is important to keep our immune systems as strong as possible. Exercise, eat well, get a lot of rest, try not to stress. And try to limit contact with people and surfaces. And to wash our hands as much as possible, and wash surfaces that may be in contact with potential virus sources.

The vast majority of people will make it through this. We all just have to do our part to protect all the rest of us.

I am so glad Ash seems to be doing well. Great to hear.

I am using this time to just really spend time with my animals and my ferals. To try to talk to family and friends. To try to take care of my physical and mental health. To watch TV that makes me laugh. To read. To think, to be appreciative. All we can do is our best.

If you ever need to "talk" just post on here. I don't have all the answers but sometimes just getting it out can help. Hang in there, be strong, do your best. Be safe. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (early).

PS - And sorry for the rambling again...............................

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ordered a couple things for my fishy buddies and got a note from chewy that the order will be late.
Although I didn't check anything else there wasn't one variety of Fancy Feast available/in stock on their site...

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Chewy order was about 5 days late. My ferals like FF and Purina One wet. They had Purina One after 5 days but none of the FF. :( I don't even think I could order any FF. Scary. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is really good he is so hydrated. Great news. So glad to hear that. Hopefully that will stop his issues going forward.

SO true. It is VERY hard not to focus on things we have no control over or to be frustrated by it etc. But I think it is an important part. To try our best to focus on things we can make a difference on. If I could stop this virus I would but I can only do my part by limiting my exposure so I don't get infected and if I do get infected I don;t infect someone else. And if everyone does their part we can get through this. But it is also in other parts of life. The feral cat population. It breaks my heart all the sadness in the feral cat world. But all we can do is what we can. So TNR. Take cats in that need help if we can. Balancing things we can impact and those we can't and accepting it can help with our stress levels which help our immune system. There is a lot of unfairness, sadness, etc in the world. People not affording food, terrible illnesses, no clean water, victims of crime, etc. But if people do their part an some become doctors and some policemen, some donate money, some their time/labor. Focusing on what you can change and what you can't and then be proactive the best you can may help with the coping of the unknowns, the scary things. It is that lack of control, that feeling of not being in control that is very hard. SO the more we can do things that help us feel we have more control can maybe help us cope more.

I know it is hard. But what you are doing is protecting yourself and others which is really important. We will get through this. Sometimes we have to have short term pain for long term gain. So we go to school (which few kids really like to do) but it is important to get a base of knowledge so that we can become self supporting. Or we go to the doctor and they poke us with things or put things in places we don't feel comfortable for the long term benefit (to get us or keep us healthy). Some of those things last only a short time, this one is going to last a longer time. BUT if we all do what is necessary we can stop this virus and return to normal life sooner.

It is especially hard for a young person. Some of us have gone through a lot in life so we maybe are a little more accepting. Of course nothing like this has ever happened on this scale. I know you are strong and I know this is not fun, scary, etc but it will pass. We will learn from this, be better prepared next time to save lives. We will find positives in this, it is just right now it is hard to see. There is going to be a lot of sadness. Hopefully it makes us think of others more, be more respectful to others, be more of a community, to help others, to be less selfish. I am hopeful that the loss we will suffer will be able to be learned from and make the world a better place.

You will be volunteering again. Just as I will hopefully be doing TNR again and helping people with intros and behavioral problems again. But we need to make it through this. So we have to do our part.

I hope your father understands the risks not only to himself but to others. It is really important we all do our part so as not to get infected and most importantly not to spread it to anyone (vulnerable or not). I fear young people are not taking this seriously enough. :(

I personally would stay in house as much as possible and limit any interactions if at all possible. Hopefully in a few months you can have an even grander birthday party where everyone can be there and be there safely. Since transmission is so easy it is best to keep as much separation as possible. I just had a birthday as well. I am just glad I made it to this point. I hope I get to the next one. :/ But I am going to wish you an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You are lucky you don't have to here me sing to you though!!! :)

Yes, I just got Chewy and expect other parts of the order today and tomorrow. What I am going to do is wipe down the box with a bleach wipe. All sides of it. That way if the driver has Covid 19 it should kill the virus. Then I will bring it inside and let it sit (put it somewhere where the cats and dogs can;t get to it. Then wait a few days in order for any virus that may be on the package or cans to weaken before opening and taking the things out. The one thing I will be careful of is not having the bleach soak through the cardboard box. Virus can stay on paper, cardboard for 1-2 days while it can stay on copper or steel (cans) for 3-4 days.

Yes. It has surprised most people sadly. It is impacting young people more than anyone ever thought it would. It seems to impact smokers more. Men possibly more. Those with lung, heart, diabetes, I think liver. Those with immune issues (cancer, those on immuno suppressants). But there is not enough data yet. For those elderly with pre-existing conditions it is very serious. But it is impacting younger people. The key is to slow down the spread so hospital resources will be available for those that need it. For supplies to catch up to protect the doctors and nurses. The best thing we can do is to avoid getting it by social distancing/isolation and doing the same to avoid transmitting it to anyone else. Yes, the best assumption is to assume everyone has it and to not get close to anyone (to either get it or transmit it). Asymptomatic people are inadvertently spreading it sadly. But many people have a dry cough, a fever and if it gets tough to breathe then getting ER help might be necessary. But do your best to not contract it especially for your mom.

:( Yes, it is hard. Hopefully your mom's company is not affected too much and has good practices in place to not spread the virus etc and to get through the economic impact. Yes, vets will be limiting interaction and probably limiting appointments to those that are essential. They are doing the right thing limiting contact but it can be transmitted via animal fur. SO they need to take precautions and then you need to given surface contact risk. It is a whole new way of thinking. But if we stop it now the faster we can return to more "normal". To try to limit the pain.

And hopefully the government helps those that will be in need. Half the country can't afford an emergency $500 bill so there are a lot of vulnerable people out there. It is heartbreaking.

We could go crazy worrying about everything. And worry hurts our immune system so it is important to keep our immune systems as strong as possible. Exercise, eat well, get a lot of rest, try not to stress. And try to limit contact with people and surfaces. And to wash our hands as much as possible, and wash surfaces that may be in contact with potential virus sources.

The vast majority of people will make it through this. We all just have to do our part to protect all the rest of us.

I am so glad Ash seems to be doing well. Great to hear.

I am using this time to just really spend time with my animals and my ferals. To try to talk to family and friends. To try to take care of my physical and mental health. To watch TV that makes me laugh. To read. To think, to be appreciative. All we can do is our best.

If you ever need to "talk" just post on here. I don't have all the answers but sometimes just getting it out can help. Hang in there, be strong, do your best. Be safe. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (early).

PS - And sorry for the rambling again...............................

Yeah, he's doing well. The vet doesn't want to keep him on the medicine for now. Just see how it goes and if Ash ends up needing it again. I've been really surprised at how Ember has changed since he's been on the Gabapentin. He hasn't had any since Saturday morning, but the effect still seems to be there. Ember has been calmer though. They've been almost weirdly peaceful and don't try to avoid each other. I even had both of them laying on me Sunday.

You're definitely right. It would be nice if more people would contribute, both with this virus and in other areas of life. There's still so many people who aren't limiting their exposure. So many people who don't do what they can. We need more people volunteering and donating, etc. But yes, we have to do what we can even if others don't.

Haven't been left much of a choice, honestly. There's nothing to do! But we are getting stuff done around the house, so there is that. We can focus on the house for now and do fun stuff later without having to worry about that as much. Then the house will be ready to sell so we can move and get into a bigger house.

I hope the planet appreciates the break! There's been a lot less pollution with us locked up. I've been seeing a lot on Facebook about pollution levels being down, water being cleaner, animals in places they had long since abandoned... It is eye-opening, if nothing else. It's almost a shame that this will end and things will probably go back to normal. Sure would be nice if people would learn from this and see what kind of world we could be living in...

To be honest, I think I've just gotten so used to being busy. I sat around the house for a long time after graduating from high school early. Then I got a job, started college, and began volunteering regularly, plus shopping, house work, and doing things with my mom on the weekends. It was a lot and now it's just... gone. I mean, I still have school and work, but I don't have to take an hour to get to school and hour to come back. Work is pretty light. I got done in two hours last night. I'm not running to and from places like I was. And I miss volunteering a lot. Getting to know the animals, spend time with them, learn what they like, as well as practice my photography... It was sort of a dream for me.

I hope my dad understands too, but I honestly have my doubts. He likes to pretend like nothing bothers him, so even if he understands he'd probably act like everything is normal just for the sake of keeping everyone else calm. Hopefully my stepmom knows better...

I am. I don't need a huge birthday or anything, honestly. I just want to see my family, volunteer at the shelter, and get to go to another dog show. Thank you. :) I'm sure I'll have plenty of people singing.

My Chewy order came in yesterday while I was at work, so not too bad. Guess American Journey really isn't a popular food. :p I only got the wet cat food and some treats they had on sale.

Fortunately, I don't think either of us are really "high" risk, but yes, it's gotten pretty scary. It's affected a lot of different people in a lot of different situations. We weren't too worried about this at first when it was portrayed as "just a flu," but it's obviously quite different at this point. I do worry a bit more about my mom... If it was just me it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Obviously I still wouldn't want to get it, but at least I'm pretty low risk and tend to get over illnesses quite easily.

I hope not. So far no mention of being laid off and they haven't required her to cut hours. I plan on intentionally cutting my own hours just to try to help lift the burden. With no other people coming in and limited appointments, I shouldn't have as much to do anyway. Hopefully they'll be able to afford to keep the place running while we get through this. Yesterday was the first day with the new limitations. It didn't make a huge difference for me, but didn't have to worry about people coming in and out and being in the way.

I hope the government does help.

Yes. We're trying to make sure we're eating well and everything. I've certainly been a bit lazier since I'm not having to run around all over the place, but I still take Stella for a walk.

I'm sure the animals love this! Stella doesn't really act any different, but you can bet she's always touching me when I'm sitting down.

Thank you. I appreciate it. And you be safe as well!:) Hopefully we'll get through this soon enough.

Haha, it's fine.