Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes. He is more sensitive than I thought. :/

She is very impressive. You have really done a great job with her.

So true. Even I am wanting a dog more now!! Well, thinking of all the options, possibilities, etc leads to a better decision as long as you can organize them and analyze them and make the best decision. The danger is that it leads to mental paralysis and that it overwhelms and no decision can be made. I think you are very good at looking at everything and making a well informed decision. No one sees everything immediately and no one is perfect. All we can do is use the best available info and try to think of everything and change if the info changes. You are way way ahead of the vast majority of people.

:) I think you will do great. It is exciting. Adulthood and responsibility are here. :)

I agree, you will do well. I know, the costs are crazy BUT in this world a good degree is worth it. The data suggests those with degrees earn more than those without. And money is one part of happiness, doing what you love is good. But having a fall back is good too. It is complicated. The cost of education is totally ridiculous. But I am not sure how to solve it other than bigger class sizes. :/

Possibly. Just make sure you read all the fine print before signing anything etc. You are smart so you will do your homework and make the right decisions.

Are you feeling better now? Keep resting and be careful not to overdo it until you are totally recovered.

Is Ash back to normal now? I hope so.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Ash to the vet today. :sigh: I saw him get in Stella's toy basket and look like he was trying to pee in it. I moved him out of it and he hissed at me, but didn't look like he did anything. Ember came running over when he hissed and he hissed at her a couple of times. Then he jumped up on the dining room chair and growled at the other two whenever he saw them, so I put him in the storage room to chill out before things escalated, partly hoping he'd pee on the puppy pad I had out there. I let him out after a few minutes and saw he'd made himself comfortable on the cat stand. Ember and Ash apparently got in a fight while I was walking the dog and he got super crabby with the other two, growling at them and even a little at me. He made some chatter-y noises when I touched his tail and I put him out in the storage room again to chill out and see if I could catch him peeing. Well, I did catch him trying, but there was nothing. So I called the vet and they wanted to get him in immediately in case he was blocked. The vet said he had urine in his bladder, so it was concerning that he couldn't go. He had to be anesthetized and have a catheter put in to flush some saline into him. They were able to get him peeing without a catheter, though, so he didn't have to keep it in. However, he's staying the night so the vet can keep an eye on him, make sure he pees, and can put a catheter in if necessary.

It is very overwhelming... I can't ever seem to come to a decision. I've had some pretty big changes in my decision for college as well as getting a dog. I didn't plan on getting a dog at all until I finished college. I definitely wouldn't be going off to college if I added another animal. But I've gotten myself so excited about getting a dog that I'm not sure how I'm going to wait for another year or more, let alone until I'm finished with college!

No kidding. It's too much! I don't like this adulthood-thing! Lol.

I don't know how to fix it either. There are some colleges with huge classes. Not the ones I've looked into though. My current classes aren't any bigger than my high school classes for the most part.

I'll be careful. I have plenty of time to look into it at least.

I'm feeling much better. Still have a little bit of a cough and I get tired quicker than normal, but it's getting better.

I think I pretty much covered how Ash is doing... Poor cat. I want him back.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Poor Ash. At least he did pee without the catheter. Let's hope the vet gets to the bottom of it. Poor guy. How traumatic.

I know, it is. Just take your time and think it through. I know the feeling, we get a big bump in emotions and it does get overwhelming. But just think it through.

Hahaha, so true!!! Stay young at heart and also be mature (which you don't have a problem with). You can have the best of both worlds!!!

I don;t think anyone does (otherwise they might?). Yes, a lot of colleges have HUGE classes. Then the smaller private schools have smaller. Then later in your degree the classes get smaller. My guess is you don't need small classes like some people do. You seem intelligent and independent so you would do well in those larger classes. And the TAs and Profs still are willing to spend time outside of class if needed since many students don't take advantage of those opportunities.

I know you will. One thing I am highly confident of is that you will make the well informed best decision possible.

Great!!! Just keep taking it slowly and get a lot of rest. Don't overdo things. And keep your distance from people with this new virus and don't touch your face and wash your hands all the time. Proper washing, all over for at least 20 seconds.

It is hitting me hard as I love Ash and I haven't met him so I can imagine how much you are feeling. Ughhhhhhh, let's hope he gets well soon. Please keep us up on how he is doing. Wishing you and Ash the best.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they called shortly after 8 this morning. Unfortunately, he did not pee on his own. The vet said he had enough urine that he should need to pee, but it could be that he was holding it due to the stress of being there. He had to be anesthetized again to see if the vet could express his bladder which, fortunately, he was able to do so fairly easily and Ash finished peeing on his own while still sedated. That's good because I don't really know what we would have done otherwise. The vet would usually keep them for 48 hours with a catheter if the bladder couldn't be expressed, but the vet is going out of town tonight and so Ash wouldn't have been able to stay. I'm supposed to be able to pick him up around noon. He'll be on an anti-inflammatory and we'll be putting them all on a urological diet to try to prevent this from happening again.

I don't have much of a choice other than to take my time. Can't do anything right now! It's a lot. Just seems like everything happens at once and dealing with all the health issues with my cats on top of it doesn't help.

I hope so. At least I don't have to worry about dealing with everything on my own all at once. I'm able to learn how to be responsible and take care of myself a little at a time.

I can't imagine the classes getting any smaller. Lol. They already average about 20-30 students. I'm kind of surprised they can get away with such small classes since it's such a cheap school. Even for people coming from out of state, it would probably be a pretty cheap start to college though it is only 2-years. The classrooms are tiny too though. Even though the classes are small, they can still be a bit cramped. I'd probably be fine with bigger classes (I tend to avoid asking for help anyway), but I do think it could be a bit overwhelming just by the number of people. I'm not a fan of crowds.

I will definitely do my best.

I prefer to keep my distance anyway! Fortunately, I'm on spring break right now so I'm able to recover without going to college. So far, I think we've only had one case of the virus in this area, but I'm sure it'll get worse. Some colleges have already gone online, but mine hasn't been one of them yet. Though half my classes are already online, so at least it wouldn't be a hard transition for me. Touching my face is the hard part. I do it without even noticing, especially since I have allergies and my nose itches all the time.

Well, Ember's done a pretty good job at making it feel like he's still here. :ohwell: It was pretty quiet at first, but around dinner time Ember suddenly got very vocal. She started meowing last night while I was trying to sleep and wouldn't stop. That's pretty unusual for her. She even managed to sound a bit like Ash! At first I thought it was him, but then I remembered he wasn't here. Other than his yowling, he's a pretty discreet cat. You can almost forget he's not here until he doesn't show up for a meal.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness the vet could express his bladder. Let's hope the anti-inflam and the food will help. Do they think it is stress driven or do they think it is something else? Poor Ash. Let's hope he gets well soon.

Yes, so true. It always happens at once. But you will get through it and learn from everything. And make the right decisions. It will get better.

Exactly!! Thankfully you have a great mom!!

Wow, 20 - 30 is rally good sized classes. Impressive. Yes, I think you could handle bigger classes but I agree, I am not a fan of crowds either.

:) I know you will!!!

I think all classes are going to go online. :/ But maybe that isn't so bad. I know, that is the hardest part for everyone even without allergies. It is more people in my age group that has to worry but still please be careful.

She missed him. :( It is amazing how cats really miss their family even if we think they don't get along. There is more of a bond there then you may think.

Hang in there, things will get better. Let's hope soon!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash is home now. He seems to be doing okay. He got the bandage off his leg pretty quick. He's supposed to be kept separate from the other two for 48 hours which is probably for the best. There's been a lot of tension. Ember has been hissing at him through the door and Frost has been particularly crabby to Ember. He's not usually affected by the vet trips like that. If Ash was out with them then things would just end up escalating. Ash is set up in my mom's room for now, but we did let him out for a little bit at first while the other two stayed in my room. I thought I was going to have to call the vet again already because he got in the litter box maybe twenty minutes or so after getting home and just sat there. He was there for a long time. I've never seen a cat sit in the box for so long. I thought he must be struggling to go still, but he finally got out and it was the opposite! He peed a ton! He was given Sub-Q fluids this morning and hadn't peed while at the vet, so I guess he held it until he got home and really needed to go.

Hopefully things can at least start calming down now. I'll still have a lot to deal with, but most of those things can be handled little by little. There's not much that needs to be rushed at this point.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised. I think there are some bigger classes, but don't know what they are. It's a pretty out-dated building though and they can barely fit enough seats in some of the rooms. They can feel a bit crowded even without a large amount of people.

Online classes wouldn't bother me. I was nervous initially since I didn't know how it was going to work, but I honestly like it. Things are a little more predictable week-to-week.

She doesn't miss him now! And we have to get a refill for the Feliway. Of course we had to run out of that right before all of this happened...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. Yes, it is best to keep them separate. Vet visits can cause tension. Just reassure Ember that all is ok. Good idea on setting him up in your mom's room. Yep. those fluids will do that. Good that he is hydrated. Let's hope he drinks when he is home. Is the urological food wet or dry food? So glad he is doing pretty well so far.

Agreed. That is really good. Just take one thing at a time.

Hopefully no one gets ill and spreads it as close quarters are not good.

That is good. I can't imagine what online classes would be like but the younger generation is more adaptable. I am not surprised you do well with those also.

Hahahahaha. Always happens that way. The grass is always greener on the other side!!! Yep, never fails. If something can go wrong it probably will when it is needed most. :/

I am so glad to hear Ash is home and doing pretty well. Let's hope he stays hydrated.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash was not happy about being locked up. He started scratching up the carpet in my mom's room and did not touch his snack when I went to check on him. He ate a little while I sat in there with him, but mostly just wanted attention. I couldn't stay with him because I had work. We can't keep him in my mom's room though. We're planning on selling this house, so can't afford to have torn up carpets. Fortunately, the weather hasn't been too bad so I've kept him in the storage room. I swap cats though. Sometimes I put Ember in my room. We have wet and dry versions of the urological food. Ash doesn't seem to care for the dry food though will eat some of it. Frost refused to eat the wet food.

I've been waiting for my school to shut down and go online, but haven't heard anything yet. Online classes are pretty easy. Both of mine have set assignments for each week. Read a chapter in the book, take a quiz, and write on the discussion board basically to prove you read the book and understand it, plus a couple of things for my music class. The plus side is that you don't get many extra assignments on top of that, the downside is that you don't really get less either. The longest thing is just reading my history book.

Yep. I feel bad that I keep shutting her up in my room too. I think she knows something is up and it's something she doesn't like. But at least she isn't hissing through the door at Ash anymore.

We went to the shelter today and I got to play with the white husky. He's beautiful. I didn't get to really see what he was like the first time I hung out with him since I could only walk him and he wasn't interested in the treats. We got the play yard today and got him interested in some toys. He really warmed up after that and was affectionate. He's definitely used to wrestling with someone though. He's gentle, but persistent. He did try humping me though. :doh: And another dog kept trying to hump my mom!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try getting one of those rubber mats that people put underneath office chairs and put it over the carpet area where he's scratching.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try getting one of those rubber mats that people put underneath office chairs and put it over the carpet area where he's scratching.
That's a good idea. We got some of those to try to keep him off the counters a little while ago. Not sure where they're at. I'm not positive it'll work since he's good at pulling a towel from under the door, but it's worth a try.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes, they don't like territory being taken away. Sadly, he is reacting to it. Good job to try to reassure him. Usually they settle down after a day or 2 but it can be rough before that. Swapping is a good idea. And keeping the stress down is important. The storage room is a good alternative. Make sure he has things with his scent on them. It is good Ash likes the wet especially so he gets enough hydration.

I am guessing you will hear soon. Sounds pretty good (online). Enjoy the history, it is actually really important to learn from the past. I know it may not be exciting but I know as I got older I wish I paid more attention to school. :/

Yes but it has to be done. AND she likes your room feels secure there and just give her attention and make it "cool". Like something special. It is good she isn't hissing, that is very good.

WOW. Sounds gorgeous!!! Sounds like a good dog (warming up) and playing. How old is he? His previous owner wrestled maybe? Oh my. Yep, they will do that sometimes. :/

Hopefully Ash is settling down now. Fingers crossed. AND getting better.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think he really doesn't want to be alone. He's been especially affectionate and needy. Usually, Ash jumps at the chance to be in my mom's room and loves sleeping on her bed. He gets locked in there by accident sometimes and we won't know he's in there until the next time my mom goes in. I give them treats, pets, etc. each time I switch cats and today we've started letting them interact. I think keeping them separate made Ember even more suspicious and on edge. Our first try using treats and pets didn't go over well. It actually worked better when we just let them out and acted like nothing was different. Ember is still tense, but she's getting over it. I plan on separating them overnight though. Ember sleeps with me anyway, so it's not a huge difference.

Well, my school extended spring break by a week. I, unfortunately, do not enjoy history. I think it's interesting learning about how the Native Americans lived, but beyond that it's all a bit dull. I will say, it's a little more interesting because this book goes more in depth. It's a little more like reading a story and it tells you about specific people.

I don't remember how old he was. A year? Maybe two? Young, but definitely full grown. Definitely used to wrestling, especially considering how gentle he was. Whoever his previous owner was seemed to have done a really good job with him. He was gentle, had a few basic commands, pretty easy to walk, and not totally dog obsessed. Apparently the lady who works at the shelter that I talk to his adopting him! I say she needs to let me come play with him!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats don't like change so anytime there is change it can be unsettling and cause issues. And if they think something is on their terms they accept more than if they think it is on our terms. You'll get them back on track. Just try to keep a routine, calm and confident, etc. Yes, separation overnight should be fine given their previous sleeping arangements.

Yep, I am guessing it may be extended for even longer then go online. :/ I didn't enjoy history either when I was young!! There is a saying, "Education is wasted on the young". Or something like that. Since it is hard to relate, to make sense of why it is important. Then we learn and experience in life and we realize the teachers had a good idea so we don't repeat the same mistakes (hopefully!!). If we learn about Native Americans and all the issues, injustices, etc maybe we wont make the same mistakes in the future. It really is fascinating, how different groups have been treated, how some have overcome, some have not, etc. I never thought I would say this when I was young but history is REALLY important. Making history entertaining is a great way to "get through" to the young. Hollywood can do a good job at that. We need more of that in the classroom probably. Oh well, here I go rambling again!!!

Sounds like a wonderful dog. Why was he given up? I always wonder. Another in-house adoption!! They are too funny!!! Yes, you need to play with him before he goes home!!!

Be safe out there. Make sure you watch yourself so you don;t catch this Covid 19 and pass it on to your mom, family, etc.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash started having trouble peeing again last night. Frequent urination of small amounts of dark colored urine. He was in and out of litter boxes this morning, going on the puppy pad... I called the vet and had to go pick up some medication. We're going to be giving him Gabapentin for the time being to see if an anti-anxiety will help. :sigh: He's never had issues this persistent before.

It probably is wasted on the young. At least some of it. Seems like we tend to repeat mistakes even after being put through history classes repeatedly though. To be honest, I'm not really interested in movies or anything based on real life. It's either boring or depressing or both. But it is interesting to be able to read a little short story on a particular person's life. You get more of the little details and makes it seem a little more real, I guess.

I'm not sure why he was given up. I want to ask, but haven't had the chance to talk to the lady recently. I'm guessing some major life change. Maybe a new baby or moving... I don't think his previous owner was neglectful or didn't care about him. He had way too much work put into him for that.

I will. Not like I have much of a reason to get out now... Everything is closing down and there isn't going to be anything left to buy at the stores because everyone else is hoarding it all! And now the dog show I was going to go to is cancelled... They've cancelled all of their events until April 30th.