Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know. But you have a whole life ahead of you with a lot of opportunities. Balance is good. And focusing on the really important things now as well. School gives you the foundation to allow fostering for life. But you need a strong foundation.

:( Hopefully. I am glad she is a little better.

Awwwwwwww, that is sweet. Maybe the potty training is starting to work..... Let's hope.

Awwwwwww, awesome!! Sounds like he loves his new home!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but it just seems like I could always be too busy to foster if I let myself! I mean, if not school then it could be work. But I guess we're going to find out how it goes because college starts this Monday and Lamont is still here. He gets neutered on Monday too.

Ash is sneezing now! That's it, that's the last one. They all got it. He doesn't seem too bad, but has had a wet nose. Frost is sneezing pretty often too. Ember still sneezes occasionally

He's definitely holding it longer, but he's such a quiet pup! I haven't heard him bark at all. Now that he's not kept in the pen, he doesn't whine hardly at all. He did run into a metal bar of a desk earlier and yelped pretty loudly... :doh: I've been trying to teach him to ring a bell to let us know when he needs to go out since he doesn't seem inclined to whine for it, but he doesn't use enough pressure. I'm think about getting a different bell that can just be tapped. Stella would take to that better too since she's afraid of the bells I have.

I sure hope so. I wonder if he's getting better. I haven't heard from his new owner and I haven't wanted to be bother.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, true. But without a good education the work situation may be more difficult. I know what you mean. But I think the education will give you the foundation for the future. And who knows, maybe you will hit it rich, retire early and have lots of time. Wow, Monday is going to be busy. Lamont has made progress so it should be a little easier going forward.

:( Poor guy. Yep, it must be a little something. :/

Does he get a bit restless when he needs to go? I wish he would whine or bark. :/ The bell idea is a good idea.

I would assume so. Yes, it is hard to what to know but not bother. It is best to just wait to hear. The owner sounds really good.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that could be very true. Haha. Maybe. It would be nice if I could get rich and not have to worry about it all. Lamont has been a bit difficult lately, honestly. He's still a good little pup, but he's been going crazy a couple of times a day and doesn't always settle very well. When he gets like that, he's hard to deal with. He bites everything including us which he otherwise doesn't do very much, bothers Stella, and tries to chase the cats. When he's not in that state of mind, he's fine. He plays well and Stella plays with him. Sometimes he tries to instigate play with the cats, but doesn't usually chase or make contact with them. He started humping one of his toys yesterday. :doh: But we dropped him off at the vet for his neuter appointment this morning.

He also may be getting a home. We posted videos of his training this weekend and someone put in an application. A family with kids. I have mixed feelings because I always worry about people with kids. Some can make it work, but many don't really care to. And puppies are a lot of work without kids to worry about. His teeth are sharp, so he'll probably hurt them too. I was also hoping he'd get someone who'd have the time and be willing to get him into some dog sport. Agility, flyball, anything. He'd be fantastic at any of it. But I do think he'd be a good companion for a kid too. I think I have a hard time because he reminds me of Stella. Similar toy motivation, food motivation, outgoing personality, friendly but occasionally a bit nervous, and really versatile. They could both do anything if trained for it. I can't do the things I'd like to do with Stella, so it would've been nice to see Lamont be able to do them even if not with me. I do worry that he could become a destructive and troublesome dog without proper stimulation though. He's very smart (though it took running into a metal bar of a desk a couple of times before he learned to duck) and I think he could end up being a bit of an escape artist. He gets out of the pen easily. We barely try anymore other than for a couple of hours when I have to go to work. He's figured out how to climb onto the couch, is a great jumper already, and he's shown some inclination towards digging though not much. I'm supposed to take him to the shelter to meet these people Tuesday evening though.

Poor Frost is still sneezing. Ash too, but not as badly. Ember finally seems over it though.

He does sniff, but only for a few seconds and he also sniffs for food as well as when looking for a certain toy. His potty sniff is slightly more urgent, but when he goes crazy everything he does seems urgent. So it's kind of a guessing game. He's really quiet though. Whines when he's confined or held against his will, but that's about it.

We were hoping to catch them at the vet today since they both had the same day scheduled, but didn't see them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get rich. It is nice when it happens to good people. Yes, he is being a puppy. :/ Do you think he misses Leon? Oh my, glad he is going to the vet today.

I hear you on kids and all the other things. It is hard. The good news is with dogs people can be more specific. So I would make sure they know what they are getting to hopefully help make the right fit. He seems funny and confident. Little guy is a big shot!! Hahahahaha. Sounds adorable!! We'll know soon..........................

:( They will get over hopefully soon. At least Ember is better.

Well at lest there is a little warning. Hopefully he is potty trained before going to his new home. I tend to try to anticipate when they might go and have them out for a while before to try to teach them. Try to find his timing and take him out before it should happen and try to keep him out until he goes. It is a lot of work but it works pretty fast especially since he sounds very intelligent.

:(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd certainly appreciate it. Then I could provide my animals with everything they could want and still help the shelter animals. I'm not sure that he misses Leon as much as he misses picking on him. Stella is playing with him more now, but at first she wasn't too interested so I was his only playmate. I also wonder if he just isn't getting older and thus more energetic. He still sleeps quite a lot though. He was neutered Monday though. Went well other than he starting peeing a ton. Constantly. Got to where he was just going a couple of drops. He's over that, fortunately.

Well, the people canceled they're application, so we didn't meet them. Apparently they talked and decided they weren't ready. I kind of figured. I mean, I know my mom thinks it's just because I don't like kids, but it's a lot for anyone! Fostering two pups was tiring. I couldn't imagine getting a pup on top of having young kids. He is pretty confident and is getting better, but he can be a bit nervous in new places or if there's a loud noise. He freaked out when dog barked all of a sudden. We were in the backyard and he couldn't see the dog, but he calmed down and he isn't fazed by that dog anymore.

Poor Frost just can't get over this! He seems to be sneezing less, but still sneezing and he has a very wet nose. Like, the bridge of nose. It's weird. Ash got it too, but not as badly.

He's finally getting the house training. We always tried to preempt his need to go and got good at it, but every now and then he'd change his schedule. Really, the issue was communication. He goes overnight without an accident. I got his potty break pushed to 5a.m. last night and he manages fine, so I know he can hold it. He always runs back to me to get a treat after going outside, but not when he does inside, so I know he knows going outside gets treats. He just couldn't tell us he needed to go and I didn't have a natural behavior to work with since he doesn't whine or bark. I had to create one. Today seems to be the first day that he's consistently rung the bell when he needed to go out though he has done it few times to get treats or go out and play.

I must say, the idea of him leaving is getting harder by the day. It's nice only having one pup, but it is easier to get attached. And I do love his personality.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The love you have for them makes you and them rich already!! Interesting take on Lamont. That is great that Stella is starting to play with him. Poor guy. I am glad he is ok now. Whew.

I think that might have been best. It didn't sound like a good fit. Though they fact they cancelled suggests they are more engaged which is great. Yes, he is learning. But he will get there. I am sure he will find a great home.

:( Poor Frost. Keep an eye on him.

That is great!! Progress.

:( I know, it is very hard. It is so easy to get attached. Yes, you do love him. It is pretty easy to tell. :) That is cool though it makes it a little more difficult to let go (even to a great household). They are so easy to fall in love with.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on my tablet and I'm tired, do I'm going to keep this short, but I did want to give an update.

Frost is sick. He didn't eat much Friday evening and pretty much stopped eating completely Friday. I've tried a ton of different things. He went to the vet today and got bloodwork done. Nothing wrong there. No sign of infection. They gave him an antibiotic just in case and gave us an ointment to stimulate his appetite, but nothing much do far though he does seem a little more alert and active. I have a thread in the Cat Health section with more info, but can't link it right now.

In other news, Lamont got adopted today. I'll tell more about it later when I'm on my laptop, but thought I'd share the news now. It's an older man who I think just retired and wanted a puppy as a companion to keep him busy. Nice enough. Probably not the home I would've chosen for Lamont, but I think it'll be a good one nonetheless. He even offered to let me visit though he lives a kind of far.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Poor Frost. It is good his blood test is fine. So good that he is a little better. Glad you took him in. Let me know how he does. Let's hope he gets better soon.

Oh wow. Well, maybe he will have the time to spend with Lamont and maybe keep active etc. Sounds pretty good. I know what you mean but it is good that he seems to have found a good home. That is great. I know you might be kind of sad but it is good he is going to a good home. Just be careful if you think about visiting. It is nice that he offered but it is best to be really cautious.

Good job. You got two homes really quickly.

Let me know how Frost is doing. I am glad to hear he is doing better so let's hope he just caught something and is getting over it.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to be feeling better, but still isn't eating much. He's alert, though, and has been acting normally. I've gotten him to lick up a bit of baby food this morning and wet cat food this afternoon as well as Temptation treats each time. He still ends up spitting out some of the treats, but I do think I remember going through that the last time he got sick and stopped eating too. It's like he forgot how to chew properly. He got his second dose of the appetite stimulant just earlier, so hopefully that'll help.

I hope so. He talked about having so much space for Lamont to run, but I hope he realizes it isn't just about running. Lamont needs focused activities and mental stimulation. The guy did say he'd keep up on training, but I wouldn't say he seemed very enthusiastic about it. He was really nice though. You don't have to worry about me visiting. I wouldn't go alone and I don't really plan to go at all. Maybe in future I'll ask to meet up at a park as it'll be a bit closer rather than driving all the way to his place. But that wouldn't be for a while. I don't want to confuse Lamont. Maybe sometime I can do photography of grown-up Lamont.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. It may take a day or two to get his appetite back. Is he drinking normally? Glad he is alert and acting normally.

I think people oftentimes are more ambitious at adoption and then reality sets in. :/ But hopefully he will work with him. Would help both of them. So glad he is nice though. Good, I am glad you are aware. Just be safe and smart. Sometimes people use things to get to people and we let our guard down. :/ I don't like be suspicious and cautious but we have to nowadays. :( Your safety comes first.

It is so cool they both found great homes. Well done!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does seem to be drinking normally. It's hard to tell because we don't usually see him drink, but my mom saw him once and he isn't dehydrated. However, still not eating properly. I was able to get him into where I work this morning to check his teeth. The vet didn't think his teeth were bad enough to be the cause, so everyone's stumped. Frost does need a teeth cleaning, but the vet doesn't want to do it while he's not well. He gave Frost a B-12 shot. He said because sometimes not eating causes a deficiency and then they don't feel well. I'm supposed to call them in the morning with an update. My mom said Frost ate a bit more of his afternoon snack that he has been and I did go to Target and PetSmart after school today. Got some more wet foods, a bone broth made for animals, and KMR. The KMR was a hit and I got him to eat more of the wet than he has been (still less than usual, but more than lately) with the KMR mixed in and warmed a little.

I think that's most people. If you haven't had a puppy/dog before then you don't really know what you're getting yourself into. All the research in the world can't really prepare you for that responsibility. But I do hope he sticks with Lamont and works with him. His daughter has two dogs, so at least someone is experienced. You don't have to worry about us! My mom is really paranoid and I take after her. You're right that we have to be careful in this world anymore.

My mom and I aren't handling this very well. We got attached to Lamont. I think we're both surprised at how badly she's dealing with it though. I walk in the door and my first thought is "Something's missing; it's too empty." Then I realize it's the playpen that's gone. I still have the kennel set up in my room. I got a package today and it had those air pockets in it. My mom immediately pointed out that Lamont loved those. It's funny how a puppy can completely change your life in just a month. Everything in this house has memories of him and Leon attached to it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:/ Well, it is good he is drinking (not dehydrated). But not eating as well still. Vet is wise to hold off on his teeth for now. It is good the KMR was a hit and that you got some other options for him. Let us know how he is doing. Let's hope he gets back to normal soon. I am glad the vet is on it.

Agreed. He does sound committed and it is great his daughter has dogs so good support. I like your mom!! Glad you take after her. Best to be safe.

:( I know. It is really hard emotionally. I fall in love easily too. Your mom is a softy. :) That is good but it is hard when you have to let go. :/ They really do change our lives. It is like a bolt of new life when we have another animal. Time does heal though and knowing they have good homes should help as well. But it is hard now. :/ Hang in there.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is eating a little more today. He ate almost a normal amount this morning though it took a couple of tries. I'm still mixing KMR with his wet food. I just realized the KMR only last three days though. I'll have to use it up and get some more. I go back and forth on whether or not it seems pain related though. The way he tries to eat dry food makes it seem like it probably is, but he isn't really bothered by me messing with his mouth or anything. He's acting normally. Perhaps a little too affectionate? Wanting attention at night, laying on the computer chair behind my mom's head, but nothing extreme. I called the vet clinic this morning to give them an update. The vet wasn't there yet, but the receptionist told me she'd let him know and he'd call me back if he wanted to try anything else. I didn't get a call though. I work tomorrow night, so if nothing changes then I can talk to him when I go for work.

He really was a nice man. I can't complain. The only things I have against him are more my own issues. I do feel an older person can either be a great person to adopt a puppy or a terrible on and it all depends on the person. He seemed like he could be one of the great ones. I'm just a little upset that Lamont probably won't be getting into agility or anything, but that wasn't likely anyway. I am thinking about offering my photography services for free a year after owning the animals I foster. Sort of a first gotchya day present/reward for sticking with them/way for me to see how they're doing in their new homes.

It is hard. I got used to having a little puppy romping around. I got to see so many of his milestones and now I won't see any more. And I feel like I'm being tested. The shelter got a couple of lab puppies and they were actually looking to put them in separate foster homes. I'd much prefer having one puppy over two. There's an adult in the shelter I'd like to foster too. She's a smaller (not small) dog who seemed quiet, gentle, intelligent, and focused. She had a litter of puppies and all but one died. :frown:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that is good. Cats are highly tolerant of pain so it is hard to know. Glad to hear he is acting normal. Sometimes too affectionate may be a sign but it sounds like it isn't too worrisome. I am glad you will be at work to ask. It is so hard to know what is going on but it sounds like he is going in the right direction. Let's hope it continues.

I understand. I know, most people are a little too busy or preoccupied etc. But as long as the dog is happy......... That is a great idea on photography. That would be really cool (for the owner and for you).

I know. It is nice to have a puppy around. Poor mom dog. That is sad and hard on the dog but hopefully life will look better soon. Well, you will make the right decision on what to do (foster or wait). Just make sure you can handle it with school.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he ate basically a normal amount of food this morning plus the milk I mixed in and I gave him some more before I left for school. He nearly licked the bowl clean that time. Still a little weird with hard foods though. I told the vet and he said to keep up with the appetite stimulant over the weekend. I just recently got home and my mom said he ate all of his afternoon snack and then she gave him a little more. I did wonder about the excessive affection, but thought maybe it was because he was feeling better and happy he wasn't sick anymore. He honestly probably would've been laying on the computer chair more, but Ember ended up claiming that spot.

Yes, I'd really like to see them and have pictures of them as an adult. I think it would be great.

The volunteer who handles the puppies was trying to contact us this morning. :doh: We kind of figured it would end up happening, but that was fast! We don't know what she was calling about, but we can probably guess. I don't know what to do. It would probably be the smart decision to just focus on school, but it's hard to turn down the opportunity. They may still have one of the lab puppies needing a foster. They're older (12 weeks) and a bigger breed, so I was thinking maybe they wouldn't need to be taken out as much. I do think I could manage, but I don't think it would be easy. I think an adult would be easier, but I do understand their desire to use fosters for puppies.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT!!! So glad to hear. He might just prefer the other food over the hard food. It very well could be that he misses his computer chair spot since Ember took it over. I see that often. I am SO HAPPY he is doing better!!!

It would be really cool.

Hahahaha, you did too good of a job with Lamont and Leon!!! :) I know it is hard. Just make the best decision. Your school is very important. Yeah, if it isn't easy it might be best to wait. I totally understand the need for fosters for puppies too. But it is hard for someone in school. :/ You will have many opportunities to foster in the future but there is only one time for school. You are very wise, you'll make the best decision.

I am SO GLAD Frost is better!! Fingers crossed he is over it. Sounds like he is in very good hands with you and the vet.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's always liked his dry food and he's back to eating it normally now. He wants to eat a lot now and licks his bowl clean which takes forever and I have to stand guard to make sure Ash doesn't get his food. There have been some odd changes in his behavior. Nothing huge or overly worrying, but slight changes. He's been on the top of the cat tree a bit more. Usually he prefers sort of mid-level things rather than being up high. He usually likes the TV stand, the computer chair, my stereo... He's also been somewhat more crabby with Ember. Lots of chattery noises and much more likely to growl at her. Growling is usually their last warning, biggest sign of a fight. He's laid on my bed or the ottoman at the end of my bed and growled at her when she went towards the litter box. But I might have a reason for that because Ember has suddenly started having issues urinated, so I'm guessing he's picking up on whatever is wrong with her. I have to get her to the vet.

Apparently the volunteer wanted to tell us that one of the pups in a different litter got parvo which I already knew because the pup was there when I went to work. I'm not really sure why we need to know since we don't have Lamont anymore and she said they already contacted the owners. I am still thinking about fostering an adult though. I would definitely have to prioritize school and my own animals over taking care of her, but it seems like it would be better than sitting in a kennel at the shelter. Of course, there's so many factors to take into consideration, chances of it working out are still quite slim, but I think I can handle it if she does fit.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: :hyper::clap2: So glad to hear he is eating normally again. Yeah, I woudn't make too much out of his being higher. But it does sound like maybe he is picking up on Ember. Poor Ember. UTI? :/

Oh my. Poor puppy.

I might also wait for fostering until the cats get healthy again. You don't want to add any stress until they are back to normal. I am glad you have your priorities straight which is great. It is better than having a dog in a shelter. You will make the best decision. I am confident of that.