Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the first few days are interesting. I am actually not surprised Ember is doing so well, she is so good. Awwwww, how cute is that?!?!?!?! Puppy and Kitty paradise. Leon would probably think it was fun. :/

:/ Yes, hopefully that does not happen. Sadly, that happens a lot. Hopefully the shelter educates so that that doesn't happen.

Awwwww, that is SO CUTE!!!! He loves you.

AWESOME!! And you get to see Leon going forward.

You'll find Lamont a new home. May take some time but he'll get a good home.

Well done!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still just so impressed with how well Ember is doing. She's still improving. She rolled around on the kitchen floor with her belly up while they were playing. Both pups are doing really well with the cats. Surprisingly well. Leon is still interested and wants to follow, sniff, play with them, but he's getting easier to redirect and he's taking their warnings fairly well. Lamont almost completely ignores them unless they come up to him, but he has thought about biting Ember's tail a couple of times. In his defense, she pretty much put it in his face.

I hope so, but it's one of those things people might think they can handle it when they can't.

Lol. It is cute, but I hope I'm not ruining him for someone else. We're trying to take them out when they whine more because we never know what it is they want.

Yes, hopefully. I sent them a text last night to let them know we're taking them to the shelter to see the public tomorrow, but haven't gotten an answer. I don't think Leon will be available after that.

Oh, yes. Neither of them will be here long, but it would be nice to be able to see them both. I've gotten a bit attached to Lamont though I wouldn't say I want to keep him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!! Rollie Pollie?!?!?!?!?! THAT is a sign of trust!!! Wow, Ember loves them!!

I am really impressed with Ember. You really have done a great job with her.

Good job Leon.

Lamont is pretty good too. Yes, dogs and cats will want to have fun with a tail flicking. Ember is probably doing it on purpose to have some fun. :)

So true.

I don't think you are ruining him. Spoiling him? ;) Yes, it is always best just in case they want to go potty.

Leon is a sweetheart. Hopefully he can go next door. :/

Awwwwwww. You love Lamont. Hmmmmmmmm, defense mechanism??? ;)

It sounds like you are enjoying this. VERY cool!! They sound adorable and it sounds like you are doing a great job with them.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really is doing great. Ash is getting better too though my mom is too afraid to let him near them much. I worry about it less. Frost is still a crab, but he's a gentle cat. Mostly just chatters at them. She's just gained so much confidence.

Leon is definitely getting better. He used to chase them.

She probably wouldn't think it was so much fun if he did bite it! That dog has a strong grip! He's good at pinching skin too. Ember does like putting her tail everywhere. In your drink, in your food, in your face... It's everywhere.

Apparently Chip is having seizures now! :eek3: They don't know what's causing them though. Poor guy has gone through a lot.

They are spoiled... I'm trying to sort of wean them from whining to get attention though. I don't want them to be insecure or anything, but I don't want them thinking that's how they get whatever they want because then they whine nonstop. I think we're all tired of taking them out so often though!

I still haven't heard from my neighbors, but they still have a chance. Neither were adopted today. Only a few people came to see puppies. One did adopt one of these puppies. She was between Leon and the other tan and white pup, but chose the other one because she was a bit more laid back. Leon was too curious to settle in her arms.

I do! Haha. I don't think that's it. He's a really good dog though. He doesn't bark. Whines and growls, but doesn't bark. He goes potty outside though still has accidents. He's smart and motivated, but not as food obsessed as Leon. He's tolerant and laid back, but still energetic. And he lets me hold him on his back like a baby. At least he does when he's sleeping.

I am! Don't get me wrong, it's a lot. It's frustrating. Sometimes I wish I could walk away and take a break. I miss my sleep. But they're a lot of fun and it really hasn't been as bad as I expected. I was a bit scared I wouldn't be able to handle it, but I think I just read so many stories of people getting depressed and struggling that I scared myself. I overprepared myself.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really has. You have done a great job with her!! Interesting your mom worries a bit with Ash. Ash seems to be doing better. Frost sounds like he is doing well.

That is great. You are teaching him. He could be in a cat household. Well done!!

Hahahahaha, probably. Cats do like to tease. My boy LOVES female dogs. And he loves to rub all over them and stick his tail in their face. It is so cute to watch the interactions.

Yeah, he sounds like a normal pup.

Hahahahaha, my cats LOVE to put their tails in mouths, food, drinks, etc. As well as their noses..........

OH NO!!! Poor Chip. I hope it isn't anything serious. Let's hope medication can help and it isn't something worse. This breaks my heart but let's hope it is something not serious. :(

It really is a difficult balance. But it sounds like you are doing a good job. Yes, potty training is really tiring. :(

The neighbors are probably busy. But not sure it is a good sign if they do want to adopt him. :/ That is good one of the pups got adopted. Leon will get adopted. That is the nice thing about dogs, it is easier to find homes and they are easier to be "good".

Hehehehe, I can see why you love him!! He sounds like a great dog. I love when they sleep in our arms like that. :)

Yep, you are going through all the emotions we all go through. Sounds like you are doing a great job!! I think it is a great example that you are more capable then you think. Overpreparing is not bad, scaring yourself might be. You are smart so as long as you do what you do things should work out (or you will learn and improve). Obviously, you are doing a great job here.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ember curled up on my lap back-to-back with Lamont last night. They were pressed against each other. She's starting to tolerate their playful antics a bit more too, but she still gets overwhelmed by their jumping around and runs off. My mom worries about Ash because he's thumped Lamont in the face pretty good. Lamont was closing his eye after that and she was afraid Ash scratched his eye. Could've just been all the fur irritating his eye though. The boys have a lot of fur on the bottom of their feet.

Well, if you have food you can get Leon to do just about anything you want. He's a bit food obsessed.

Ember actually does seem to almost like them. I mean, she goes out of her way to come into the kitchen with them. I think she's still hoping for some food, but she lays on the mats we have down for them. She lays on my lap with them and tolerates their moving around and kicking her when she won't even think about laying on my lap if there's another cat there.

Leon's bite doesn't hurt nearly as much as Lamont's though Leon is more persistent. He has a one track mind.

Yeah, the volunteer who deals with fosters convinced her mom to take him in temporarily, but they're looking for a foster to keep an eye on him. He's so sweet. I can't believe he's had to go through so much and he's only eight or nine months old.

They pee constantly when in the kitchen. It's alright in the pen, but when we take them out Leon usually pees two or three times even though we usually take them out right before putting them in the kitchen. Lamont goes once or twice.

Well, the girlfriend wasn't sure she wanted to adopt him. She was initially opposed. At this point, I don't know if she got my text or not. And the man is a veteran who tends to drink a lot. He's a good person, but he didn't seem to be paying attention when I told him what shelter it was or about us taking them to the shelter. They have other animals who are all rescues and they're all taken care of.

He really is, especially to be so young. I say Leon has street smarts and Lamont has book smarts. Leon knows where their food is kept and somehow knows when we have food even though we don't share with them. He also pees and poos twice in one outing a lot. But Lamont has better impulse control and learns tricks quicker. He's overall easier to work with and less desperate to get the food.

To be honest, I still don't understood the "puppy blues" a lot of people talk about. It can get frustrating, but I've never dealt with anything long term and they always do something to make me laugh shortly after. Leon has gotten a bit difficult to deal with. He's chewing a lot and is really persistent. He'll remove any toy you give him to get what he wants to chew on. It has, admittedly, gotten to the point where I don't care to hold him. I do sometimes and my mom picks him up, but I get tired of not even being able to touch him without being bitten. It's my least favorite part of puppies. Lamont, on the other hand, is going through my favorite puppy phase: the lanky leg phase. He's all legs! He's like an awkward baby deer. :biggrin:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, Ember. That is normal to get out if they get wild. Ahhhhh, yes, that makes sense. I am guessing his eye is fine now? It is best to be cautious just in case.

:) That is good. Helps with almost everything.

Yes, it seems like Ember likes them a lot. She probably has a little mother instinct going on. :)

Yes, they do. Puppies will do that.

That is good. I know, it is so sad. Poor thing. :(

Is it marking?

Ahhhh, that is right. Maybe she doesn't want another dog. Or a "perfect" dog and may want someone that is less adoptable. Great that they have all rescues. And that they are well taken care of.

Interesting. It is always interesting to see siblings so different.

Yep, teething. They do get out of it. Their teeth are sharp!!! Yeah, I don't get the "puppy blues" either. That "baby deer" phase is so cute. I love puppies and I love dogs. I just love them all!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't expect Ember to put up with their playful antics. Sometimes I don't want to put up with them. There wasn't any lasting damage from the slap, but Lamont does have some goop in the corner of his eyes and I'm not sure why.

It is until he wants your food! I swear we don't share food with him, but he still knows the sound of a bag opening. He'll pop right up from a dead sleep. He's almost walked right off the couch a few times... I swear he thinks he can walk on air.

Ember is doing so much better than I could have possibly hoped for.

I feel terrible for Chip. I'd love to foster him. An older pup would be more my speed anyway, but I can only really get away with the little ones and I have these two now.

I don't think they're old enough for marking just yet, but I guess I could be wrong. But it's only in the kitchen. Even playing outside they don't pee that much. I think Leon has peed six times in the last hour, if that. My mom thinks maybe it's the cold tile floor making them feel like they need to pee. They hang out mostly on mats we put down though.

Yes, they have a Chihuahua that nearly died due to overbreeding. But I don't know. It seemed like he was pretty sure he was going to adopt Leon. I'll probably see them eventually. I won't say I think they're perfect owners, but they have a lot of love for animals and their animals are more spoiled than anything.

It is! It's amazing how different they are. I mean, I knew they'd be different, but I thought we'd see a little more of them starting off the same and slowly changing. They're pretty much their own individuals already though. Lamont is definitely more a people-dog. He wants to sleep with me and sometimes refuses to settle until I let him. Then I feel bad leaving Leon, but he settles better on his own and if I get them both, they end up chewing on each other.

The teething is probably the most frustrating thing about having puppies. I hate it. But it's not too bad. Lamont is usually fairly easy to distract though he has his moments. I usually just end up having to put Leon down though. I love the long legs! I miss when my dad's puppy was going through that phase.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but she seems pretty good. I know what you mean, it gets overwhelming at times. :/ Hmmmmm, maybe he did get a little scratch. But sometimes it is something else. Maybe the rescue should take a look.

Hahahahaha. Yes, they can be like that. Dogs are funny.

Totally agree. I am really not surprised though. Ember is really pretty accepting.

:( I do too. Poor Chip. Let's hope it is nothing and medication can handle it.

It could be the tile. 6 times is a lot. Interesting it only happens in the kitchen. Doesn't sound like an infection.

They weren't breeding the chihuahua, right? It sounds like they love the dogs so that is could. No one is perfect really but they should really good.

It is amazing. They should like really cool dogs.

Yes, it is. But it ends. And it is good they aren't too persistent. Yes, it is really a cute phase.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really is doing great. Lamont gets a bit bouncy at times, but she just sort of watches him and leaves when she gets the chance.

Leon is adopted! He's going home on Tuesday. Not to my neighbors, but another lady. We took the pups to the shelter yesterday and two pups got adopted. This lady had first call and came in to see a different pup, but ended up falling in love with Leon. It worked out because the other family who came to get one ended up loving the one she originally came for. Now all the small pups are gone, so there's just the bigger ones. :biggrin: :yess::bawling: Unfortunately, so far no interest in adopting Lamont. We left him at the shelter for a little bit yesterday so we could get some stuff done because some other people were supposed to go up a little later. I didn't get any official information on whether or not they're adopting at all, but apparently weren't interested in Lamont because he was asleep! He'd been there since 10a.m. and these people came at around 1p.m. How is he supposed to stay awake and playful that whole time? Should be grateful he can settle down! They were more interested in the biggest pup since he came up to them (his foster brought him late), but that dog is nuts. He bit my hands constantly. Even if I shoved a toy in his mouth, he'd let go and go for my hands.

My neighbors didn't breed the Chihuahua, no. She was an AKC breeder until it nearly killed her and my neighbor rescued her. They have two cats and a bird as well.

Also, I posted some pictures of the pups here: Foster Puppies!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is such a love kitten. She is so adorable!!

WOW!! LEON!!! AWESOME!!!! Sounds like it worked out really well.

Lamont will get a home. He sounds like a great dog.

That is what I thought. They didn't sound like that type. Isn't it disgusting people do that to dogs? :(

WOW!!! They are ADORABLE!!!!

You are seriously a great photographer!! Those are some amazing pics!!! I am REALLY impressed!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's fantastic. I was wondering, do you think there's any chance she'd take to kittens? I chose puppies because we've had another small dog in the house and she did fine, so I knew she'd be okay even if she was stressed. The one time a kitten was in the house, she didn't come out, but there were other people there too. But I think kittens would be easier to keep up with when I go back to college.

I'm so happy for him. Sad, too, but I'm ready to not have two puppies. He can be a pain. I hope his owner knows what she's getting into. We tried to warn her about any issues and be truthful about his personality, but without making him seem terrible. He'll be a good dog though. He just needs some work.

He is! I've even thought about suggesting my dad take him. They're considering another dog, but my step mom wants one smaller than Max. Lamont will be smaller without being small.

They are. They're so cute. Lamont is really cooperative too. Easy to work with. Leon is harder, hence fewer pictures. I took some more pictures today.

Thank you! It's a lot of fun though it can be a bit frustrating. Stella is a lot easier to work with than puppies.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she may BUT adding more cats gets exponentially more difficult and I am not sure how Ash would. :/ And cats are very different than adding puppies since it is not as "threatening" to many cats. It might be a bit risky since IF there are issues you don't need extra stress when you have to concentrate on school.

Yes, it is great. I am guessing she knows what she is getting into. And dogs are easy. Hahahaha, you need a break. :) Understandable.

Awwwwww, you love him.

They really are. You did a great job to get them to "sit" for the pics!!

Puppies are REALLY DIFFICULT to work with. You did an amazing job. But the pictures REALLY are fantastic. I am really impressed. Those are studio quality pictures. You really could do photography to make money on the side. You are that good.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I kind of figured it would be a big risk. I don't want to make the commitment and stress my animals out over it, but I'd love to be able to do it. I think Ash would get over it or at least avoid them. The boys did pretty good when Ember was a kitten though they are older now. But I'm afraid it would start the fights again. I'm not sure I can keep up with two pups and college and work. Maybe one. I've always wondered how Ember would react to kittens though.

I can see Leon having a lot of potential to be a great, independent dog, but as of right now he's persistent and stubborn and wants to do everything he shouldn't do. So a puppy. But he's definitely become the more difficult one between the two of them.

I do. If I was in the position to have another dog and if he was going to get bigger, he'd probably be my ideal dog. He'd be great for an active, outdoorsy family though. He loves playing outside.

Lamont was actually pretty easy for a puppy. I could just about Gerry his by myself, but Leon would pop up right after eating his treat, so I had to take his pictures while he was eating.

Thank you. I'd definitely like to do something with photography.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it gets a little complex with everything. I think it is good to err on the side of caution. I do think Ember would probably do pretty well with kittens. But it is just everything else that probably would make it difficult.

Hahahaha, yep, a typical puppy. :) He'll be fine.

:) Hehehehehehe. I can;t blame you. I think he will find that home.

That is pretty cool. I am sure it is really tricky. You did a great job.

No question you have the talent, the eye for taking great pics!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe on one of my breaks I could try kittens. I'm not sure what I'm going to do during college though. I really want to keep fostering, but i don't see it working out even if only due to the weird sleep schedule I've wound up on.

Leon is a bit sick, unfortunately. I took them both to the vet yesterday. Stella started sneezing at the beginning of last week. I talked to the vet and he said maybe allergies or periodontal disease, so I put her on Benadryl to see if it was allergies. She stopped sneezing after a few days. Then both Ember and Leon started sneezing. Leon got crusty eyes too. The vet didn't want to do anything unless it got worse though and Leon still went home today. He seemed to be doing a little better though. Now Lamont is started to sneeze. But only one pup left! I took Leon to his new owner earlier today. It's quiet here now.

As sad as I am to see Leon go, I have to admit I'm already enjoying having one pup. It's nice being able to take one out to potty and not have to take the other. Training sessions are easier too. Before it was either train both or take one and the other would cry. Lamont is really going to be a good dog. So much easier to work with than Leon. He's super smart, motivated, playful, outgoing, cuddly, and laid back.

It can be. I would have liked to get more pictures with both of them, but getting Leon's pictures was hard enough. Trying to do both would be difficult. I have some more pictures that I haven't edited yet. That was my last photoshoot with both pups. I'm going to keep taking pictures as Lamont grows though hopefully he won't be here long!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the summer (longer) break. Just focus on school first. There will be lots of time to foster in your future. But school only comes around for a short time.

Awwwww. Hopefully it is nothing,just allergies. Leon is at his new home. I hope he is over whatever he might have. I can imagine how quiet it is. :/

Yes, it really is. It is so funny, you love Lamont. 😍 I can see why!!! He sounds great.

Both would be difficult. That is cool you will take more of Lamont. Maybe see if you can give an 8x10 or something of him as a pup to the new owner?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe. We'll have to see because my mom and I are planning trips for my spring and summer breaks, but they probably won't be very long. Less than a week.

Hopefully. Ember is still sneezing, we seem to be over most of it. Lamont has a little bit of a watery eye and sneezes occasionally, but not much. I hope Leon is doing alright and he doesn't give it to his new owner's other animals.

Lamont is being a little bit troublesome right now. :rolleyes: He figured out how to get out of the play pen. I knew it was going to happen, but I was hoping it would take a little longer. Earlier we both had our backs turned and he not only got out, but he somehow got on the couch. Still not sure how he managed that. Hasn't done it again. My mom found him sleeping in my spot on the couch.

I definitely want pictures as he grows. There's not much I can do after he leaves, but I can get plenty while he's here. I could possibly do that, but I'm definitely offering to send them all the pictures I have to the new owners of my fosters. I told Leon's owner and she said she'd send me her email, but haven't heard from her.

I swear Frost is being an intentional crab. He always puts himself in the most inconvenient places. He'd usually sit in the hall or in my bedroom doorway so Ember couldn't get by. With the pups he'd go in the kitchen while they were loose and he'd just hang out in there, but he hated if they got within a foot of him. He's a weird cat.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great you will get some time away to relax.

Hopefully they are over most of it. Fingers crossed. I hope so that Leon is over it and doesn't transfer it.

:jawdrop: He is something. Smart may be an understatement. He knows what he wants and gets it!!! I am sorry, but I have to laugh. I can just picture it.

That is great. I think that is really cool. To have pics of what they looked like before getting them. She is probably just busy. I think she may have her hands full right now................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but I can't help but think that I'm missing out on opportunities to foster! It's exciting to take some trips though and hopefully decide where we're moving to.

I hope so. Ember is still quite sneezy, but I think it's a little better. She doesn't seem so snotty.

Haha, yeah. He's a clever little pup. We're just lucky he decided to take a nap and not pee somewhere! He's definitely associated my spot with sleeping. I was on the with him and he just ran right up me onto the couch to go to sleep. Still no clue how he got on the couch by himself earlier though.

She probably does. I did send a text to see how Leon did overnight and got her email then. She said he did well. He's sleeping with her and she let him out when he got up. Then he went back to sleep.