Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 out of three is not bad!! :) Ash is being a brat. Hahahahaha. Cats.

Hopefully. I know, it is hard since it can be so traumatic. I think it may be a bit tricky but the vet will give you a good indication if it is simple of more complex. Just take it one step at a time. It might be a bit of trial and error but it shouldn't require too many visits. Try to get as much done on the first trip as possible.

I know. Sometimes the boys can be kinda bratty with the girls. My boy gets like that at times. I would just try to distract him in a positive way if you can see him.

Bear sounds extra great. I hear you, I am the same way. I love them all. But some just have that "something".

Agreed. I am guessing Chip is lucky he got returned. :/

I know, it is very hard. But you will figure it out. Just like the kong idea. It is too bad we can't take our dogs everywhere. :/

I agree. Hopefully the family understands that. I think she will get adopted pretty quickly, hopefully to the right home though.

WOW, that is silly. I understand trying to make it as good as possible but that does seem excessive. Hmmmmmmm

You have the right attitude, way of looking at it. You are going to do well. Trust me, no one likes to be wrong but it takes a big person to admit they are wrong when they are. That is how to get better. As a person you are going to be fine. You can handle difficult people. Just trust yourself.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a brat. I'm running out of ideas other than the new toys.

I will and it'll be a different vet, so we'll see how it goes. I'm going to get them all switched over to the vet I work for since it's easier for me to get there and I'll at least get a discount on any medications they need.

I'll try, but at this point the only positive thing I have is food. Guess they can put on some weight... Frost is still a bit thin too. He used to be so sweet and tolerant though.

Yes. They're all great in one way or another, but some are better for a certain person.

Probably, but it would sure be nice if it wasn't needed to begin with.

Yeah, I've always kind of wanted a service dog just so I could take it everywhere. I'd love to be able to take my dog places. It's nice for it to be more of a casual thing too. Going somewhere like PetSmart means there could be any number of dogs there and it would be easier to start somewhere with fewer dogs.

I'm sure she'll be adopted quickly. It's the right home part that worries me, but I have the worry for all of them.

It's quite excessive. I understand wanting to keep the peace, but I think we should be mature enough to have a disagreement and be able to discuss it without it escalating too much. What gets solved if you just avoid the issue?

Well, I want to be able to learn. If I wasn't open to being wrong, I wouldn't learn much. Sometimes I think I know something, but don't have enough information and so I end up being wrong. That's why I try not to form my own opinion on anything until I have all the information. If I want to be right then I need to learn. Difficult people though... They're... Well, difficult. I could use some work on my people skills.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, well, some of mine are as well. I know. I honestly believe it is more the movement than the actual toy but some toys do have a bigger effect. Just do your best. If they don;t play it is not the worst thing in the world since your cats are confident and there are other ways to build confidence if needed.

That is a great idea.

Yes. It is actually good if they need to gain some weight (to use food). Most people have cats that have weight problems so it is more of an issue for them.

Agreed.

Totally agree. :/

Hahaha, me too. Many people do that though. Yes, it is easier to start with fewer dogs. I know what you mean.

I know. Especially because she needs that special home. fingers crossed. It is so hard to know if it is the "right" home. Many people overestimate their abilities. :/ I always worry as well.

That is really too bad. I totally agree. Our culture is getting more like that though. People just seem more angry and on edge. I just wish people would think about being kinder and being more accepting. :(

We actually learn more from mistakes than from success. Yes, you want to learn and you will continue to learn. There is no worry about that. The difficult part is some things we can never have "all the information" so we have to make an educated guess, try things, etc. Waitng for all the information can lead to not doing something. It is a fine balance. Again, you will find that balance. Because you are smart, inquisitive, diligent.

We all need to work on our people skills!!! The fact you are aware tells me that you will be fine. Honestly, what I have seen your people skills are very good. I really liked your posts on the other thread. So you have it in you, you just need to trust yourself more I think.

You have all the traits needed to find success in life. Just keep developing everything. I think you will be amazed at how much of an impact you are going to have in this world. You are light years ahead of most people (including me) at your age. It is really impressive.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried so many different movements. Even dangling it over Ash's head doesn't get much attention anymore and that used to be the one thing they'd all do. And when Ash sits with his back to me, it's hard to get the toy to where he can even see it at all. Honestly, my biggest concern is pent up energy. No one is overweight or anything, so that isn't much of an issue either. Maybe it's more noticeable with dogs, but I've definitely noticed a difference between an energetic dog and a tired dog. Stella gets a little weird if we don't go for our walk on time. And that can have a huge impact on overall behavior, how much trouble they get into, how well they get along... Maybe preventing Ash from yowling at the top of his lungs in the middle of the night... It does seem like that's been a bit more frequent lately too. I am working on some more mental stimulation things though. I'm trying to make little pyramids out of toilet paper rolls to put food in, but they're harder to make than I expected. I wanted them to be usable with wet food as well since that's most of their diet, so I cut up a plastic bag and used strips to cover the inside. They're too light though and the cats are too rough with them. I wanted them to have to use their paws to pull the food out, but they just shove them over.

They did all get some treats together while I tested the pyramid thing out today. And I also got Stella's jacket on Ember to see if she'd tolerate it, so lots of treats for that. She actually did way better than I expected, so I'm going to be getting her a sweater.

They got to go outside today! I tried doing it one by one with the leash and harness, but for some reason they don't want to be outside with it on. It isn't much of a problem inside other than Frost wouldn't let me put it on, but going outside they just immediately want back in. Of course, when I opened the door and they went out on their own, they loved it. They're really good cats though. None of them even left the porch and they all went inside of their own accord. We got quite a bit of snow (for us), so I like letting them explore and the snow slows them down a bit (not that they get anywhere very quickly to begin with). Ember wasn't a fan of getting her feet wet though.

I've actually considered trying to get a service dog as I do have a health condition similar to diabetes, but it's either very expensive or takes a very long time. It's hard finding a place to take Stella, though, since it has to be a dog friendly place, but can't have a lot of dogs.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder how the shelters make that decision. It's a huge responsibility, really. Your deciding whether these people can offer a home worthy of this animal and they won't bring that animal back... And a lot of times they fail. I know all about overestimating one's abilities. Though, to be fair, it wasn't so much an overestimate as it was that I just didn't think about the future. But even when you make a mistake like that, you shouldn't just take the easy way out and abandon them. Even if it's difficult, if you try then you can give the animal at least a decent home. There's too many needing homes for them all to get the ideal home.

Yes, people just seem to get worse and worse. Not to say that I'm always a friendly, kind person, but at least I keep most of it to myself. I would like to point out that on the dog forum, this thread would've been locked a long time ago for being off topic and an old thread. Yet, I somehow didn't even realize @Furballsmom was staff member until I just got on and saw the "Staff Online" box on the homepage. That's a pretty good representation of the difference between the two sites.

I agree. Mistakes aren't necessarily bad things. It's more about how you handle them. Something else I need to work on. I'm too much of a perfectionist, so I don't handle making mistakes as well as I should. But I am willing to learn from them. It is a balance though. I'm trying to do things more though. I have held back a lot in a lot of ways.

Well, I do feel much more comfortable on this site. Being online helps, but being on this site helps even more. Oddly enough, I do find that when I can get myself to say something, I don't typically act like I have issues with it. It's mostly the before and after that I have issues.

I will certainly do what I can. I've learned a lot over the last few years and I want to put that knowledge to use.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it is hard. Usually those halting movements and going around corners and "into hiding" can peak interest. Yes, pent up energy can cause issues. I often see the chase and the running around as a sign I need to do more play. Just make sure the plastic strips can't get ingested or anything. Slow feeders can be pretty good. And I think there are some other mental stimulation toys out there. Yes, cats are smart, they will knock them over to get the food. :)

GREAT!! Wow, Ember, well done!!!

Yes, it is new territory so they are going to be skittish. One thing is you may have to be careful they don't sneak out in the future. I am not an advocate of taking cats out even on a leash so am not an expert on this. Yes, some cats do not like to get wet. :(

Service dogs are expensive and difficult to get given the need for extensive training but if you think it could save your life I would look into any organizations that advocate for the condition you have and see if you could get in contact with an organization that provides for service dogs. And your health insurance may help with costs as could charitable organizations. I would just dig around if you think a service dog would be helpful. It is hard to find a place for dogs in certain locations. Some are more dog friendly than others. But you will find a place for Stella.

It is very hard to make those decisions. Too picky and it is hard to find homes. Too lax and bad matches can be made. No one is perfect in but with experience and effort hopefully more good comes from the decisions than bad. We all overestimate and/or not look into the future. The key is to realize it and try not to repeat the potential mistake. I agree, I think you have to stand by the animal. But we live in a disposable world. People don't always view things as meaningful or important as they should. :( We definitely agree!!

Yes, sadly. But I do think the bad sometimes "takes the headlines" over all the good people. Very, very few people are friendly and kind all the time. Maybe Mother Theresa and a few others. Surely not me. :( I think it is good to be aware and as you say "keep it to yourself". Having decorum is good. Hahaha, we did talk about play recently though!!! We are on topic (sometimes). :)

Exactly correct!! How we handle mistakes is what is important and then trying not to make the same mistake again. We all need to handle it better. Yes, you are a bit of a perfectionist but that is probably why you have achieved so much so fast. Being a perfectionist is good if it doesn't become an impediment. But wanting to be the best you can is good. It is a balance but I have no doubt you are and will figure it out.

I am glad you feel comfortable on this site. I think you should feel comfortable everywhere, on-line, off-line, etc. From what I see you are an intelligent, kind person. If you can do it here you can do it anywhere. Honestly, when I read your posts you sound confident and knowledgeable. We all wonder and worry about what we write. Both before and after. And that shows we care, we want to give our best. I probably should think more before I type. :/

:) I am not worried, you will do great. You will put this knowledge to work and continue learning. Some day you may even be running your own Dog Forum website!! I think you can achieve pretty much anything you put your mind to.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually if the toy stops moving or goes out of sight, they lose any interest they had. Ash does seem to be gaining some interest in playing again though. It was pretty short lived, but he did play last night. I'm testing the pyramids before giving them to the cats, so that way I can see what needs to be fixed. The plastic is taped down on both sides, so they can't get it out. I just need some sort of weighted base to make it harder to tip them over. They are getting slow feeder bowls. I think my mom got them some for Christmas, but they've been put in my Christmas presents so I haven't seen them. The biggest issue is most dispensers/puzzles weren't meant for wet cat food. I don't want to give them a bunch of dry food/treats, so I was looking for ways I could use their wet food.

Turns out it isn't easy getting a sweater for cats. Most are for dogs which aren't long enough in the body. We wanted something warm, but without a lot of fabric and weight to it so she could get used to it. She's also a bit thin, so her measurements are off (if I'm even doing it right). Her sweater is probably going to be a bit big around the chest, but hopefully we'll get some more weight on her. Once she's used to the one we found, I want to get her some different thicknesses/materials/etc. since she gets cold so easily. That way she could have them for different temperatures.

I like being able to let them out because it really is great mental stimulation, but I wouldn't usually recommend letting three cats out on the porch without leashes. I only do it now because I did it in the past when I didn't think of the dangers as much, so I know how they are. They don't dart out the door, but they will go out if it's left open too long. They don't go far and are pretty predictable. Ember runs to the door if you move anywhere near it because she doesn't want to be shut out.

It could be worth looking into, but there's a lot of factors that go into it. We'd have to be careful with Stella since she's still nervous around big dogs. I'm not sure how it would all work out though. The kind of service dog I'd get would technically be a diabetic service dog, but I'm odd because I don't actually have diabetes. I just have a condition that diabetics suffer from (hypoglycemia). It is kind of scary because supposedly after so many years the symptoms can disappear and you won't even know your blood sugar level is dropping. I'm already well past the point that that becomes a risk.

Yes, it's a hard thing to balance. The shelter does stick with their animals though and have a rule that if anything happens, the owner has to bring the animal back to the shelter. Can't rehomed or go to another shelter. I heard a lady asking about why that is and that she'd want to bring the animal to another shelter. It's like why are you even considering dropping the animal off at a shelter? Doesn't sound very dedicated to me. She said something about rehoming three animals through there, but couldn't tell if she meant she adopted from them or had surrendered animals. The shelter did get a cat that they had adopted out as a kitten and was found living in a feral colony. I'm supposed to get pictures of her sometime, but she wasn't vaccinated properly so they're keeping her away from the other cats right now.

Oh yes. I think the bad often stands out more than the good. It's a difficult thing to overcome, but it does make it nice when you hear about the good. And yes, a fraction of our conversation is about play, so we're partly on topic.

I am a bit too much of a perfectionist. It can get in the way of things sometimes, but it can be helpful.

I'd like to be, but it's definitely not the easiest thing. I do want to be more comfortable in different situations.

Haha. Maybe I will someday!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. I like to do halting movements like a mouse or rabbit might do. That is good Ash might be more interested. You might be creating a new cat toy!! Pretty cool. When you are rich please don;t forget about us!!!! :) Very cool, slow feeding bowls are great. Well done to your mom!! Yes, wet food can be a challenge. But I think it could work out. Let us know.

Yes, it is a bit of a challenge. But if you know how to sew they might be able to be adjusted. You might be able to put something together if you can sew as well. I think you will find something. That would be really nice for her. She'll look ADORABLE!!!

You have a good handle on it. My girl got out once and she jumped out and acted like she was on Mars. She freaked out. And after she got back to reality she ran back in. Of course, she came from the yard and would hide by the door trying to get in when she was young in the colony. Hahahahaha, cats. One of my ferals got in the other day. :O Oh my, it is always something.....................

Oh my. Then you really should look into getting a service dog. I didn't realize the symptoms can disappear and it can sneak up on a person. :( PLEASE be careful. Service dogs tend to be really good with other dogs.

It is. Your shelter sounds good. I know, that lady. Amazing someone thinks like that. :( A kitten adopted out and ends up in a feral colony. :( Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh I am sure you will get some great pics, let's home she finds a great forever home!!

Agreed!! And yes, we talk about play!!! ;)

The fact you are aware is key. It will be a positive in your life. You will learn to use it in a positive way and not to let it hold you back.

You will. Nothing good is ever really easy. But it sure is worth it when you achieve it. And you will.

If you put your mind to it you sure could. I think the sky is the limit with you. You will be amazed at what you will achieve. You are already making a difference and there is much more to come.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing marvelously, I think :)!
Thank you. I'm trying to get over it.

Absolutely. I like to do halting movements like a mouse or rabbit might do. That is good Ash might be more interested. You might be creating a new cat toy!! Pretty cool. When you are rich please don;t forget about us!!!! :) Very cool, slow feeding bowls are great. Well done to your mom!! Yes, wet food can be a challenge. But I think it could work out. Let us know.

Yes, it is a bit of a challenge. But if you know how to sew they might be able to be adjusted. You might be able to put something together if you can sew as well. I think you will find something. That would be really nice for her. She'll look ADORABLE!!!

You have a good handle on it. My girl got out once and she jumped out and acted like she was on Mars. She freaked out. And after she got back to reality she ran back in. Of course, she came from the yard and would hide by the door trying to get in when she was young in the colony. Hahahahaha, cats. One of my ferals got in the other day. :O Oh my, it is always something.....................

Oh my. Then you really should look into getting a service dog. I didn't realize the symptoms can disappear and it can sneak up on a person. :( PLEASE be careful. Service dogs tend to be really good with other dogs.

It is. Your shelter sounds good. I know, that lady. Amazing someone thinks like that. :( A kitten adopted out and ends up in a feral colony. :( Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh I am sure you will get some great pics, let's home she finds a great forever home!!

Agreed!! And yes, we talk about play!!! ;)

The fact you are aware is key. It will be a positive in your life. You will learn to use it in a positive way and not to let it hold you back.

You will. Nothing good is ever really easy. But it sure is worth it when you achieve it. And you will.

If you put your mind to it you sure could. I think the sky is the limit with you. You will be amazed at what you will achieve. You are already making a difference and there is much more to come.
I might be. If it sells though, it's probably not going to be toilet paper rolls with strips of plastic grocery bags duck taped to the inside. It needs to be a heavier/denser plastic or glass that can be cleaned easily. I promise I won't forget about you though.:p I just want to have options to mix it up. When they do something over and over again, it gets too easy.

I, unfortunately, cannot sew. My mom can to an extent, but not very well. She will be adorable though. She was super cute in Stella's jacket even though it was way too big.

Haha. Well, at least she came back in. Ember is kind of like that. At first she wouldn't get more than a foot from the door. Then it was two feet. She still won't go to the farthest ends of the porch, but she gets closer. I always have to move really slowly though. I think she's afraid she's either going to get in trouble or be shut out. Oh, wow. We had a cat into our house once a long time ago, but he was a friendly cat and we only had one cat at the time.

I didn't realize it either until more recently. I wasn't diagnosed with anything and even when the doctor said what it was, it was just a casual statement. Then I did some more research into it and found out. I have a pretty good handle on it at this point, but it can be a bit unpredictable at times. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a service dog.

They're better than some others and are trying. They've been making a lot of changes to do better. I'm sure the cat will be adopted and will, hopefully, get a better home.

Yes, that would be the best thing to do.

I agree, it's definitely worth it.

I did taking a coding class in high school. I will probably start a blog at some time. I just don't know exactly what I'd do with it or how to find the time.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is actually a really good idea. Keep thinking about it. Serious, who knows, you may have a product that sells a lot. Seems like a great idea to me. Yes, cats do get bored pretty easily.

:( Well, maybe you can find the right fit. She will be ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!! I can imagine how cute she was in Stella's!!

YES!! It is strange because I would have thought she would have been like "this is my old home". She acted like she never was outside before!!! I think you are exactly right about what Ember is thinking. Yeah, well these are my ferals so they are like our cats. He thought he belonged inside!! The inside cats know them (and him) so it wasn't the worst thing. But I just worry about spreading something to the inside cats.

I am surprised the doctor wasn't more focused. :/ I am so glad you have a good handle on it. Yes, it very well may be worth getting a service animal. I don't like that the symptoms recede over time and it sneaks up on a person. :( There has to be organizations that can help. Hopefully there are.

It is hard. As long as they are trying to improve that is the most important thing. Let's hope the kitty finds a good home. I love ferals and feral colonies but I prefer homes for everyone (if possible).

You will do it. I am confident.

Agreed.

Good for you. A blog is a great idea. And maybe it can morph into a website like the dog forum. The time is the hard part. But just have topics and put out a post. How to chose the right dog. How to train. Etc. You have it in you, just have to take the time to put it down. And you can sell your new slow feeder on the blog. You are going to be entrepreneur! :) You might be able to buy Vermont!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe. It'd probably be easier to do out of something other than toilet paper rolls. It's a pretty simple thing, but I figure it's a good step into the mental stimulation for them since they aren't really used to getting these different things with their food in it.

Yeah, we'll figure it out. We did order one, so we'll see how it fits.

Haha. She doesn't want to go back! Smart cat. Yeah, I guess when they're used to other cats being around it might not be as bad. I couldn't imagine a cat getting in here. We'd have a fight. I do worry about things spreading from the cats outside or me bringing something from the vet clinic or shelter.

Yeah, he kind of tries not to make a big deal out of things. He's better than my last doctor though. I've had hypoglycemia since I was a kid, but didn't know exactly what it was. Just that I had some sort of sugar issue. I'm not really sure how much anyone is going to want to help me though because I don't really think I need a service dog at this point. It would be helpful and I do worry about it getting worse/symptoms disappearing later on. If I went the route of getting a service dog for free, though, it could take years and Stella would be quite old by then.

Yes, they are trying. Sometimes I question they're methods though. Chip is back. Sounds like he might have separation anxiety? I don't know. I want to ask the volunteer I usually talk to, but she was busy today. (ETA: I just noticed I got an email asking for Chip's pictures. He was, indeed, returned because of separation anxiety.) But they're putting him in a kennel an hour every day and letting him cry. I watched a lady literally shove him into the crate while he struggled to get away. If they're trying to crate train him, then they're doing it very wrong.

My mom bought a blogsite a while ago, but she did it without talking to me and was just like, "Here, have this blog. Do something with it." I didn't know what to do with it and we ended up forgetting about it, so we no longer have it. It would've been a cat-based blog, but I'm wondering if something more open would be better. Something I could still include pictures in, but not so restricted to my cats who are rather boring. Haha, I don't think I need to own all of Vermont. Just part of it.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is pretty ingenious and creative. Good stuff!!

Very cool. Let's hope it fits.

Hahahaha, yes, she has it pretty good. She is smart enough to know it. She likes to sleep in my arms at night and I am not sleeping outside and I think she knows it!!! Hahahahahaha. My inside cats know the outside cats (they talk to each other from the windows etc so they probably wouldn't fight but it could happen. I too am more worried about bringing something in. That is my biggest worry.

Well, you never know unless you ask people. If it could save your life it is definitely worth it. I worry about the symptoms going away and it sneaking up on you. Especially if it may take years to get a service dog. :( You may have to start the process sooner.

:( Poor Chip. He needs to find the right home. :/ Well, it is hard to figure out what the right home is. Yeah, that doesn't sound so good. :( It is a hard business and hard on the emotions. Chip will find the right home though.

Oh my, she was smart. Too bad you don't have it anymore. :( The good thing is, you can do anything with it. Pictures, advice, stories, etc. You are smart, you can figure it out. Would be really cool.

Ok, a part is fine. Who needs the headache of it all??? :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just trying to think of things I could make rather than buy since I'm cheap.

Well, Ember's sweater hasn't come in yet, but we got one from Helping Strays' shop. It's too short, but it's good for her to get used to it. She's doing well. She walks kind of weird, but actually mostly ignores it.

Yeah, I doubt she wants to give up that spot. I think it's cool that all the cats know of each other and are good with the others though. I wish mine were so accepting. But yes, bringing something in is a big concern.

I might look into it again. I just worry about if it did take several years then Stella will be quite old. I'm not sure if I should try to time it out to get one after Stella's gone or just go ahead and do it.

Yes, he does need the right home, but he also needs proper training. They're likely to make his anxiety worse or cause him to shut down completely by shoving him a crate. I feel bad for the poor dog. If I were in the right situation, I'd foster him and try to work with him, but I'm in no way in the right situation.

Yeah, well, maybe I'll start another one. I just don't know exactly what I want to do. How specific/broad it should be, etc.

So my mom and I got our first foster puppies! We picked them up Sunday afternoon and have had our hands full since. If I'm not with them, I'm usually with my own animals. We got two puppies, though, from a litter of six. They gave each foster one big puppy and one little, but the big one is too rough for the little one! They're eight week old terrier mixes. The small one looks like a Chihuahua, honestly. They both had worms, but have been dewormed. The little one looks like he's been through a lot. Looks like he has a couple of scabs and his backend is stained yellow. He's sweet, but we've already spoiled him! He doesn't want to stay in the pen we're keeping them in. He wants to be held or wander around. He's a huge crybaby. The bigger one is a little more independent, but a lot more energetic. He's sweet when he's tired, but he's discovered his teeth and has a strong grip for such a little thing! He also pees a lot. More than his smaller brother. He looks like a Jack Russell terrier. Their mother was a 30lb terrier mix, but don't know about dad.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And more creative than the cat feeder/toy makers!!

Very cool. Is Ember a long cat? Sounds like a purchase that may help other cats too which is great. Sounds like she is doing really well.

Yes, it is very good. Takes effort and luck. Keep trying to build their confidence. Pays off in a lot of way. Yes, we never know what the outside cats may have even when they go to the vet. A lot of bad stuff in the wild. :(

I think it may be best to get a service dog sooner rather than later. You can still work with Stella between that time. I think you can get her to be fine with another dog.

Agreed. It is hard because there isn't enough time or people. Yes, he sounds like he would be a bit too much for a foster. But maybe you can work with him at the shelter?

Play it by ear. Sometimes spontaneity makes good outcomes. Like on here, you don;t play on what you are going to write you just touch on the "topic of the day". You could also have some bigger picture thought pieces. And use examples (like Chip, etc).

:O OH WOW!!! Good for you!! Poor little guy but he is in good hands now. Sounds like it is going to be fun teaching them. Jack Russells can be like that. They sound adorable!! Puppies are so much fun.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how long she is compared to cats her size, but she's definitely longer than dogs her size. Part of the issue, I think, is that she's underweight.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to start playing with the cats in my room because the living room is taken up by a big play pen and the cats still aren't too comfortable with the puppies. Better than I expected, though. Ember figured out that they get fed a lot and she likes to watch them. She's gotten in the pen while they were sleeping a few times.

Probably. I'll have to look into it.

There's really only so much that can be done at the shelter though. It's a strange and chaotic place to begin with. And I'm not going to be there quite as much with the foster pups here.

Yeah, that could be a good plan.

They are a lot of fun! A lot of work too. I only get breaks when they're sleeping like now. They sure cry a lot, especially the little one. We're going to be taking them to the shelter New Year's Day to meet people and maybe get homes. I'm both excited and kind of dreading it. It's a weird mix of emotions.

Oh, Ember really liked that chirping bird I got her. I think I actually almost cried when she took off with it. I also got them some furry mice since the dozens they have are nowhere to be seen. I almost kept them myself because they were so soft. They were a hit too. Ash started growling over one and Ember attacked him. When she ran off Ash went after her! I had to put her in my room with some toys and treats to chill out.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh, understood.

Wow, Ember! GOOD FOR HER!! Yes, it does take time for cats.

Good plan. Just to be safe.

:( I know. They are, it is really hard. Well, if you are around maybe you can help.

Cool

They are a lot of fun (AND a lot of work!!) But the work is worth it. Yes, they will. It is a new home etc. Fingers crossed they find a good home. I know, there are always mixed emotions. :(

Awwwwwwww, GREAT presents!!! That is wonderful!!! Yep, it can cause some "encounters". I am sure you will work them through it. Ash doesn't mean harm. Probably a little redirected aggression and a little prey response. I can imagine how cute they were!! Good job on the presents!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one who still has a problem with the puppies is Frost. He mostly stays away, but chatters at them whenever he finds himself too close. The only one i worry about is Ash though. He's fine with them, but still find himself a little too close for comfort and even without claws, he can give them a good thump. Ember is almost completely fine with them until Leon (small one) tries to play with her. Lamont (big one) is surprisingly well mannered.

Of course.

I wish I could help him.

I had my first "I'm not sure I want to do this" moment with the foster pups this morning. Didn't last long. I just needed a nap. They usually go back to sleep at seven, but Lamont freaked out and wouldn't sleep without me. Then I finally got him to sleep and Leon woke up and started chewing on him. But my neighbor might be adopting Leon. His girlfriend said no at first, but I think she caved.

They seemed to calm down around the mice toys. Ember got one down a couple of times and no more fights.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww, it is always interesting to see how the cats react. A lot of times it can be surprising. I would be surprised Ash would hurt them but it is good to keep an eye on them. Yes, change or sudden movements can cause a cat to get more cautious (Ember). Sounds like Ember loves them. I am not at all surprised.

Yes, hopefully you can help him but he may find a new home before that. I am sure he will be fine.

Hahahahaha, yep, we go through that. They are a handful. That would be WONDERFUL!!! Then you could see him as well!!

Awesome!!! They are good cats. I knew all would be well. Good job!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is interesting. There first couple of days were difficult, but even than I expected worse. They've really done well, especially Ember. I had her and the puppies sleeping on me last night. Lamont kept stretching his legs out into her, but she didn't even acknowledge him. And she's still just getting better and better. I don't think Ash would hurt them, but if any of the cats did hurt the puppies, it would be him. He has a lot of power behind his hits though. Even without claws, he could probably knock Leon down.

I hope he gets a home. And I hope he doesn't get stuck in a cycle of being adopted and brought back. He's too cute for his own good, really. I'm afraid people will fall for his looks, adopt him, and then realize it's too much to handle.

They are. Lamont has decided he wants to sleep on me, not in the pen. I have to hold him and put him back when he's asleep. It sounds like my neighbor is going to end up getting Leon though. I just need to find someone I know to take Lamont now.