Struggling with new litter

milkywayto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. Just a rookie here but I am hoping that someone could give me some advice.

Last three days, I decided to change my cat's litter to Tofu after hearing its wonders and how good it is for my cat's health and mine's. So far the tofu litter is great, very good at clumping and it does not stuck at my cat's paws but I think my cat's struggling with the transition or does not like it. She pees on the box but poos outside of it.

I think I spooked her because I immediately changed the litter quickly which I think now was very wrong (im sorry my baby) . I should have transitioned her slowly. I've asked people about this and they tell me to go back at the old litter again and just add the new litter gradually. Considering this tip, I mixed the old litter with the new one. She peed on it but she hesitated to poo again. I really dont know what to do.

My cat is getting bigger too and I already bought her a larger litter box but seeing how she struggles with changes frightens me to introduce her to this new larger box. Maybe I'd just postpone this transition after she gets fully adjust to the new litter.
I'm just a new cat parent and I still don't know the ways to this and that. I would be really delighted to get some help from you guys.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try using both litter boxes and see if she will use the larger one, it will give her a chance to get used to it and may prefer the extra room.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with V verna davies . Put both boxes out. I would also put the old litter in one and the new litter in the other rather than mixing them. That way you'll be able to tell if it's really the litter she doesn't like or if it's just to rapid a change.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat slowly stopped pooping in the Pine Pellets litter, and pooped next to the litter box. This happened over a couple of months. Switched to Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal, and immediately the problem stopped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milkywayto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Thank you all for the responses. I was going to try the two litter box thing today but when I woke up, my cat poop and peed already in the box!! Before sleeping, I added more amount of her old litter with the new one. And I think it tricked her in pooping again there (I did not remove the new one). So I think it's she's just spooked with the immediate change of her bathroom. Or she prefers having fine litter on her bathroom. I feel so relieved that she used it but I think I still should observe her transition to this litter.