Struggling with asthma

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I have a nearly nine-year-old cat, Shade, struggling with feline asthma with lung damage (I forget the technical term). We've been fighting it for close to two years now, but these past two weeks we've reached a breaking point where nothing seems to be really improving her condition. We've tried a wide variety of medications, but she is currently on a Flovent inhaler twice a day, theophylline pills once a day, and dexamethasone shots twice a week. The vet would like to cut out the shots, but I'm really worried that even with all these medications she's on, the asthma is not being controlled.

She acts normally, eats/uses the litterbox fine, regularly interacts with the other cats and me and does not seem lethargic in any way, but she still appears to be taking larger than normal breaths and coughs regularly. I'm not sure what else to do or how much she is suffering. Does anybody have an idea on this? The only time she's done any open mouth breathing was when I initially started giving her the inhaler, but she has calmed down a lot about it over the past week and hasn't fought it at all.

Does anyone have any advice on other things I can do to try to control her asthma? I don't use any aerosols nor do I use any diffusers. I do have a couple of litterboxes with dusty Fresh Step litter, but I also have the Tidy Cats Breeze system with no dust at all and I've seen her use it. I also have a couple of air purifiers. However, I do have a lot of cats and I think my house is still pretty dusty even with the air purifiers, so I don't know if that's what is exacerbating her condition or if I am just stretching it.

Any one have any advice? Things I should do, things I should ask the vet? Thanks for any help you can provide.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to take care of potential allergens. Get rid of everything with a scent, take care of dust mites (they are on fabric the most),... Asthma is caused by allergies in some cases, worsen by allergies in all cases for humans. Highly likely for cats too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would talk to the vet to see what they say. But, another thing that might be making the situation worse is pollen - if you are in an area where it is spring and flowers/trees/bushes are blooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Thanks for the replies! Do you have any tips for cleaning with a focus on removing allergens? I am not allergic to anything so I am not totally sure what I am looking for. When you say fabrics, do you mean things like bedsheets and blankets, or should I do something about furniture as well? I have a vacuum with a HEPA filter, are there other cleaning tools that can help remove allergens?

Anyway... good news, guys! I believe we've had a breakthrough.

So I've been giving Shade shots for awhile now, right? Well, one of the places I gave her shots awhile ago got irritated, and I was told to avoid injecting anything else there. On Tuesday, the irritated spot broke open -- apparently it turned into an abscess. :/

But the good news! I took her to the vet for the abscess and they put her on antibiotics for the abscess. But ever since she started the antibiotics, she has had zero coughing or issues breathing! I'm so relieved! I talked to the vet again on Friday and they think she had a secondary infection that was causing the additional coughing, which was why the steroids alone weren't working.

Looks like the plan for now is to keep her on all of the medication for a month, then we are going to try to wean her off the steroids until she is only on the inhaler. I hope it works out!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you say fabrics, do you mean things like bedsheets and blankets, or should I do something about furniture as well? I have a vacuum with a HEPA filter, are there other cleaning tools that can help remove allergens?
Vacuuming the furniture as well should help, if you are not already doing that. Any of it than can be washed is an added plus (think removeable covers).
But ever since she started the antibiotics, she has had zero coughing or issues breathing! I'm so relieved! I talked to the vet again on Friday and they think she had a secondary infection that was causing the additional coughing, which was why the steroids alone weren't working.
Interesting. That might also suggest that there is/was an underlying infection in her respiratory tract to begin with, which the antibiotics helped.
:hangin: You sound like you are on the 'right' track', IMO!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also realized I never updated this post, but good news here too.

Turns out Shade indeed had a secondary infection, and once that was taken care of, we got her back to exclusively using an inhaler. She's doing great now. :)