Struggling After Loss & Dealing With Guilt

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I’m really struggling to deal with the loss of my Sooty and wondering how I can forgive myself for the intense guilt that I’m feeling.

Sooty was in my life for 17 years. I got her when I was 14, from that moment, it was love. I moved out of my family home when I had my own family (I left her with my other cat as not fair to seperate them). When my other cat passed away, she came to live with me again (2014). She settled in straight away and we all felt so happy to have her here. She was in good health for a couple of years, but we soon noticed her losing weight, drinking a lot and going crazy for our food. Our vet couldnt decide what was wrong but after numerous tests she was diagnosed with gastro intestional issues and put on a special diet. We took her to a new vet, who suspected Hyperthyroidism. She was put on meds and the improvement was great. She was at the vets every 6 months having blood tests and was last in in November having a dental and all seemed fine at consultation/pre-op/thyroid bloods/general anaesthetic etc. Generally, she seemed very well on her meds and special diet!

Around the end of March, we noticed that Sooty had ‘stood funny’ a couple of times (head down a bit), but had no signs anything was wrong. I mentioned it to my partner who said she seemed fine and I felt I was being silly.
Sooty had her 17th birthday on 29th March, seemed perfectly fine and was eating well. In the next couple of days, she had 2 tiny bad bellies- as she had gastro issues, sometimes she’d had a little flare up if she’d got something she shouldnt have, like milk!
My mum came to stay for Easter and commented that Sooty had lost a bit of weight since the month before. My mums other cat was the same weight wise, although in good health years before passing, so she said its prob just her age. I mentioned her bad tummy and said if she has it once more, shes going to the vets! The next day, her toilet seemed fine again!
Over the next couple of days life went on as normal - it was the school Easter Hols and I was trying my best to get the children out and keep them entertained. A couple of days when we got home, id noticed that Sooty had either picked at her food or not eaten it. I told myself it was down to her bad tummy and felt she’d be back to her usual self very soon- shes had a couple of times where shes grazed for a couple of days then got her appetite back, so I felt this was the same! She seemed fine in herself, coming for evening cuddles/being around the family etc.
Friday 6th - for dinner I cooked her some chicken to try and encourage her to eat more, she sniffed it and walked off.. I found it very odd but I had (unusually) microwave defrosted it as it was still a little frozen in the fridge and thought that may be why! She returned and had a bit of a nibble, so that put my mind at ease.

That eve, Sooty came to sit with me.. was meowing at me for marshmallows and seemed fine, at around 11:30pm, she sat next to me on the sofa and her side was moving quickly for about 10 seconds (as if fast breathing). There were no other symptoms but I got worried and started to wonder if she had an infection or something. I asked my partner to get some water and ham. I got the emergency vets number, but as she drank the water, ate the ham.. she seemed OK so we didn't take her to the vet. She walked off upstairs to lay in the hall (one of her fave spots), so we kept an eye on her for over an hour, she seemed fine so we went to bed.
The next morning, she seemed fine and was meowing at me for my breakfast so I commented that she had “perked up”. Her tail was up and she was following me around as usual. I thought she was alright and it’d be a case of some antibiotics or the vet saying it was something minor! We took her to the vet. An x-ray was done and fluid was found around her lungs. We agreed to thoracentesis and a stay in intensive care. As the vet tried to drain the fluid, Sooty was getting weak and couldn't be sedated further. The vet diagnosed her with HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) secondary to her hyperthyroid and congestive heart failure and recommended that we let her go as she felt she wouldnt make it.
We all went to say goodbye and I stayed with her whilst she went to sleep. It was the worst day of my life.

I am struggling without her so much, because I adored her and I feel that she was always there for me, but when she needed me most and tried to tell me, I let her down. I looked after her the best I could in life and can’t believe it’s come to this. Id dreamed of her passing away naturally from old age, not me missing all the signs and feeling like I let her die.
I know hindsight is an amazing thing and all of the above felt like small things at the time, but I'm now wondering why I didn't put it all together, be more alert or just call the vet to check. I was also busy with my children during the week and worry that I may have missed something.

I cant get over how perky she seemed before the vets. Each time ive taken her in to be put under anaesthetic, I worried she would pass away (worried because of her age) but this time I was convinced it’d be a routine trip for something minor and she’d be coming home.

I always knew I wouldnt take her death well, but Im so shocked by the amount of grief and guilt I’m consumed by. I have lost half a stone, cry loads and feel very down.

Im sorry my story is so very long!!

RIP Sooty 29/3/2001-7/4/2018
My beautiful girl. Here she is:
95840E9A-28BB-4D44-8F72-F61C47CFD8DB.jpeg
6A818AC2-F35E-4B18-B915-9FF6395954B2.jpeg

Attachments

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I’m really struggling to deal with the loss of my Sooty and wondering how I can forgive myself for the intense guilt that I’m feeling.

Sooty was in my life for 17 years. I got her when I was 14, from that moment, it was love. I moved out of my family home when I had my own family (I left her with my other cat as not fair to seperate them). When my other cat passed away, she came to live with me again (2014). She settled in straight away and we all felt so happy to have her here. She was in good health for a couple of years, but we soon noticed her losing weight, drinking a lot and going crazy for our food. Our vet couldnt decide what was wrong but after numerous tests she was diagnosed with gastro intestional issues and put on a special diet. We took her to a new vet, who suspected Hyperthyroidism. She was put on meds and the improvement was great. She was at the vets every 6 months having blood tests and was last in in November having a dental and all seemed fine at consultation/pre-op/thyroid bloods/general anaesthetic etc. Generally, she seemed very well on her meds and special diet!

Around the end of March, we noticed that Sooty had ‘stood funny’ a couple of times (head down a bit), but had no signs anything was wrong. I mentioned it to my partner who said she seemed fine and I felt I was being silly.
Sooty had her 17th birthday on 29th March, seemed perfectly fine and was eating well. In the next couple of days, she had 2 tiny bad bellies- as she had gastro issues, sometimes she’d had a little flare up if she’d got something she shouldnt have, like milk!
My mum came to stay for Easter and commented that Sooty had lost a bit of weight since the month before. My mums other cat was the same weight wise, although in good health years before passing, so she said its prob just her age. I mentioned her bad tummy and said if she has it once more, shes going to the vets! The next day, her toilet seemed fine again!
Over the next couple of days life went on as normal - it was the school Easter Hols and I was trying my best to get the children out and keep them entertained. A couple of days when we got home, id noticed that Sooty had either picked at her food or not eaten it. I told myself it was down to her bad tummy and felt she’d be back to her usual self very soon- shes had a couple of times where shes grazed for a couple of days then got her appetite back, so I felt this was the same! She seemed fine in herself, coming for evening cuddles/being around the family etc.
Friday 6th - for dinner I cooked her some chicken to try and encourage her to eat more, she sniffed it and walked off.. I found it very odd but I had (unusually) microwave defrosted it as it was still a little frozen in the fridge and thought that may be why! She returned and had a bit of a nibble, so that put my mind at ease.

That eve, Sooty came to sit with me.. was meowing at me for marshmallows and seemed fine, at around 11:30pm, she sat next to me on the sofa and her side was moving quickly for about 10 seconds (as if fast breathing). There were no other symptoms but I got worried and started to wonder if she had an infection or something. I asked my partner to get some water and ham. I got the emergency vets number, but as she drank the water, ate the ham.. she seemed OK so we didn't take her to the vet. She walked off upstairs to lay in the hall (one of her fave spots), so we kept an eye on her for over an hour, she seemed fine so we went to bed.
The next morning, she seemed fine and was meowing at me for my breakfast so I commented that she had “perked up”. Her tail was up and she was following me around as usual. I thought she was alright and it’d be a case of some antibiotics or the vet saying it was something minor! We took her to the vet. An x-ray was done and fluid was found around her lungs. We agreed to thoracentesis and a stay in intensive care. As the vet tried to drain the fluid, Sooty was getting weak and couldn't be sedated further. The vet diagnosed her with HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) secondary to her hyperthyroid and congestive heart failure and recommended that we let her go as she felt she wouldnt make it.
We all went to say goodbye and I stayed with her whilst she went to sleep. It was the worst day of my life.

I am struggling without her so much, because I adored her and I feel that she was always there for me, but when she needed me most and tried to tell me, I let her down. I looked after her the best I could in life and can’t believe it’s come to this. Id dreamed of her passing away naturally from old age, not me missing all the signs and feeling like I let her die.
I know hindsight is an amazing thing and all of the above felt like small things at the time, but I'm now wondering why I didn't put it all together, be more alert or just call the vet to check. I was also busy with my children during the week and worry that I may have missed something.

I cant get over how perky she seemed before the vets. Each time ive taken her in to be put under anaesthetic, I worried she would pass away (worried because of her age) but this time I was convinced it’d be a routine trip for something minor and she’d be coming home.

I always knew I wouldnt take her death well, but Im so shocked by the amount of grief and guilt I’m consumed by. I have lost half a stone, cry loads and feel very down.

View attachment 233067
View attachment 233070
Please do not blame yourself you did not know how ill she had become it wasn't as if you didn't take her to the vets. Hindsight is a wonderful thing she had many good years with you she was loved for 17 years do not beat yourself up, I had similar situation with my blue point birman I had taken my cat to vets n she picked up then went down rapidly, I realised it wasn't my fault my cat was 15 I didn't beat myself up about it, but I was a mess for a long time missing her it will take time to feel better you have loved n still do a member of your family a beautiful furbaby in time you will remember the good times n have many many memories of sooty, it's early days yet please don't blame yourself you were and are a good mummy xx

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your little friend, the bond you two had was very strong and that makes it so difficult to deal with when they leave us, but you did all that you could and more, cats are masters at hiding illness and problems, it is the grief talking right now which will make you feel that it is/was your fault and it will do that, makes you question things, makes you nervous and depressed, but it is just the grief talking as you did all you could and did take her to the vets many times, and I know no amount of time is ever enough but 17 is extremely good to live, and when they pass we feel as if we failed them as we are 100% responsible for them but we all must face that day when we too will pass. But you did nothing wrong, you loved her and she you, she had a wonderful life and thanks you for being such a good caregiver, and you will see her again one day and it will be wonderful....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both and Les your response made me cry, thank you.. it was beautiful.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sooty, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.
I'
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I will tell you this...the fact that Sooty lived to be 17 years old tells me everything I need to know about the amount of love and the quality of care she received during her life. And as much as we hate this, and as deeply as we grieve, it is the natural order of things that all things are born, have their time in the sun, and return to the Earth that is Mother to us all. Sooty had SO much sun with you! Another thing I know is that Love never dies. It changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides. Sooty is with you still, unseen, but felt in the still hours when all is quiet and your heart can hear.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both and Les your response made me cry, thank you.. it was beautiful.
I hope it made you feel better, sorry for the tears but it really does help to cry, it releases stress and emotions and this is coming from a 57 year old 225 pound male lol! I am sensitive too and often tear up reading things on here, but they are tears of love and passion, but even tears of sadness help cleanse the soul and spirit. :rbheart:

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope it made you feel better, sorry for the tears but it really does help to cry, it releases stress and emotions and this is coming from a 57 year old 225 pound male lol! I am sensitive too and often tear up reading things on here, but they are tears of love and passion, but even tears of sadness help cleanse the soul and spirit. :rbheart:
Oh, dont you worry.. I have cried, cried then cried some more. Glad to hear you are sensitive.. best way to be but hurts a lot when you love so deeply and go on to lose someone so special!
The tears were because your post was so beautifully worded.

Sooty’s death was such a shock. I didnt know she had a heart condition.. to take your cat to the vet expecting an infection maybe? And expect to leave with them and some meds... for that to turn into hearing my baby take her last breath, see her beautiful loving eyes go dark and leave with her empty cat carrier in complete shock. I am truly traumatised and all of your kind words are helping me deal with this. Thank you all for your beautiful and kind posts, which at this point I feel I dont deserve but am trying to listen to.:grouphug:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have nothing to feel guilty for. You did everything you could for Sooty. You made a difficult decision to let her go out of love. No one is ever ready to say goodbye. Sooty will always live on in a special place in your heart and through the memories you shared. The bond you formed is etrnal and will always be present. You gave Sooty the most important thing she could ever want your love and a home.

Please be kind to yourself while you are grieving. The what-if’s and blame are part of grieving but they are just one step in a whole process. You will figure out how to move on in time. Hugs to you during this difficult time.

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your messages.

My pain is not caused by letting her be put to sleep- as by that point, there was no other option. Of course there is the ‘what if’ id pushed the vet to ‘just try a bit longer’ but the way the vet spoke, I felt it was time to let Sooty go peacefully rather than in pain.

My pain is caused by deep guilt from noticing some signs weeks before (mainly standing funny a couple of times) but not acting on it! I have read lots online about HCM/congestive heart failure and tell myself that if id got her in a couple of weeks sooner, she may still be here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your beautiful Sooty would never want you to be so sad because of her. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, she wants only sunshine in your life because she loves you no less. Don't spend one precious moment of life on all those should haves, could haves. They cannot change the past, they cannot change what happened. They bring only heartache.
Your Sooty lived a long wonderful life, full of caring and love. A cat over eleven is considered elderly, over fifteen geriatric. So your Sooty lived a long life. My own Burt died at seventeen, a long, happy life. Twenty for a cat is like the over hundred humans we have, not unheard of, but rare enough.
The incredibly strong bond you have with that precious girl can never be taken from you. It is spiritual, so eternal. She will always follow your life journey on her new path, she will always be near. Don't send her feelings of grief and sadness, send her feelings of joy in living and she will be comforted that she loved you well and left you to carry on with her message of love . Like a mother with several children you can share that love, hers is secure and makes room for more.
Try to concentrate on the good she brought into your life, don't let her death be more important than all those years of happiness. Do something good in her name, it helps you to feel a little better about yourself. Donate food and litter to a local shelter, or spend some time socializing the desperate kittens they take on. And do it all in Sooty's name. It will bring peace to your heart, and send comfort vibes to her.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, it takes a long time to heal a broken heart because the hurt is equal to the love......RIP precious Sooty.You will always have a secure place in a loving heart, you will never be forgotten. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, precious little girl!

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you di and bob. I know you are right and I'm trying my best to think happy thoughts each day, for Sooty. Some days are going better than others and I miss her so much, her little meows, purrs and cuddles. It's amazing how a tiny cat can have such a beautiful and great energy.. our house feels so different without her.

I donated her food to the cat shelter (couldn't bring myself to give her scratching post yet) and I looked at volunteering with them as I was struggling so much with her loss/guilt and wanted to do something in her honour.
We found a little kitten at the shelter and ended up adopting her. I was against getting another cat as the loss was so raw and I felt it was disloyal to Soots. I thought id never have another cat to be honest, let alone so soon!.. but my partner encouraged me as he felt it would help me through the pain. She is beautiful, 13 weeks old and very playful but also very snuggly. It definitely helps to have a new furbaby around but is also bittersweet.

I'm sorry to hear about Burt too. :( Our cats bring us so much love and joy but the pain when they leave is unbearable. As you said the hurt is equal to the love, that is so true.

:thanks::grouphug:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We found a little kitten at the shelter and ended up adopting her. I was against getting another cat as the loss was so raw and I felt it was disloyal to Soots. I thought id never have another cat to be honest, let alone so soon!.. but my partner encouraged me as he felt it would help me through the pain. She is beautiful, 13 weeks old and very playful but also very snuggly. It definitely helps to have a new furbaby around but is also bittersweet.
This is WONDERFUL.......it might take you some time to adjust to all of these changes as you are still grieving but I am sure that this new little one will warm your heart and be a great cat in her own right, Bless you for taking in another in need! :goodluck: :clap2: :grouphug: :rock: :rbheart:

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

View attachment 233067
View attachment 233070
RIP Sooty you beautiful girl, your mummy loved and cared about you so much.

I can see that Sooty was such a cherished cat and the parting is so painful for you right now. Although a cliche, time is a great healer. At this moment in time you feel like you will never recover but day by day you will become stronger.

I know you are giving yourself a hard time about not acting sooner. You weren’t to know what was going on inside and when a cat does something a little out of the ordinary but then just as you become concerned and are about to call the vet, they suddenly look ok again, this makes it so hard for us to know what to do for the best. This happened to me with my Whiskas. I so wished I had taken him in for a scan and X-ray weeks or even months sooner but he would do something not quite normal for him and then the next minute he would jump up on me suggesting that perhaps he’s wasnt so bad after all. It is so hard to judge.

Please don’t torture yourself, try and remember the joy and comfort you brought each other.

Thinking of you x

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. We got her a couple of weeks ago. I didnt want to say in Sooty’s story. I know you shouldnt compare, as she deserves to be loved be being herself but she reminds me so much of my Sooty, so loving and sleeps with me every night bless her.
Here is our little baby Coco:
7787448A-6E74-4CEF-B620-5B0D60D145ED.jpeg AB000D99-EBC0-4B26-BF14-88B72F64F3D3.jpeg

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you shouldnt compare, as she deserves to be loved be being herself but she reminds me so much of my Sooty, so loving and sleeps with me every night bless her.
Just as Sylvester reminds me of Simon and Sebastian but is a great cat in his own right, it is a wonderful living tribute to the ones who have passed. I used to talk about how he reminded me of the two boys combined a lot more but as time goes by I just see him more and more as Sylvester!