Stressed

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have quit twice and they keep bringing me back. Very stressful job. I have cognitive disabilities and am under the ADA. I have not been able to find any help in Houston,TX. My supervisor thinks I am lazy and don't do what I am told because I forget what to do and dont remember to right it down. I cant even do cashier so at review they said last warning before they let me go. But I know I will always have trouble so I should look elsewhere but have so many limitations. I can only drive short distances,no freeways. Does anyone know of an organization that could help in Houston, TX? I did try one but they were not helpful. Forgot the name. I work retail in infants. Maybe they are keeping me because sales have majorly increased more than other departments. I make guests laugh when I tell them I just have 3 cats because there are occasional times that only a parent could answer. Wish I could take my cat Coco to work

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand if this thread has to be removed. I cant find help anywhere so thought I would try this.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are going through this, and I hope somebody here at TCS could give you the information you need. I will try to google for you, though, if that is the only way I can be able to help from where I am. Meantime, hang in there and I hope you find the help you need soonest.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help. I have tried the Texas Workforce Commission-Vocational Rehabilitation Services. They weren't much help.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. I am disabled myself and my daughter has conditions covered by the ADA as disabilities. I do not work anymore, but my daughter has had several issues with a couple of different employers attempted to discriminate against her because of her disabilities. The most recent was her current employer who tried to fire her because she was (is) having complications with her pregnancy. (Technically, she was fired for two weeks. In the end, they had to rehire her, remove the termination from her record, and give her back pay. Oh, and they had to remove the made up write-ups.) I may not be able to help you, but I can try. I can at the very least give you some ideas.

You have a cognitive disability. Is it documented by a doctor? Did you mention it when you were hired? Did you request accommodations? If so, have those accommodations been met? Has your employer or fellow employees commented about your disability in a derogatory way? You mentioned that your boss thinks you are lazy because you are forgetful about doing certain things. Has your boss said this to you? Have you been written up for anything that is in any way related to your disability? (It sounds as if you have been.) In your review, were there any discriminatory comments that are related to your disability? (For example, if they know that you have a cognitive disability and wrote you up for or gave you a bad review for forgetting tasks when your disability makes you forget things, that is discriminatory.) Do you have a copy of your review or the write-ups? Do you have any witnesses who would back up your claims? Have you contacted the company's HR department? Have you mentioned to anyone at your job that you feel as if you are being discriminated against because of your disability?

If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your disability, contact the EEOC and file a complaint. EEOC Home Page There is an online form. You can also call. (Telling my daughter's HR department that we had contacted EEOC and had an appointment for an interview with them and that a complaint had already been filed was enough to end her termination. That is not always the case, but it worked for us.) You can also contact the Texas Workforce Commission at Disability Discrimination — Texas Workforce Commission. On their page is a link to a form concerning workplace discrimination. You can also contact them, especially if you need help filling out the form.

This one has a list of links to guide you to find help, including employment and your protected rights.
Care Connection Aging & Disability Resource Center - Information and Links

Employment laws for the disabled
Employment Protections

They have a bunch of information, including information about advocates.
Care Connection Aging & Disability Resource Center - Resources for Children & Adults with Disabilities

Pro bono lawyers, just in case:
Disability Rights Texas - East Texas Regional Office | Pro Bono Texas

Lots of resources here:
The Arc of Greater Houston: IDD Services Organization

They help people of all faiths who have disabilities:
Home - CCSC Houston

Easter Seals helps adults with disabilities, too:
Adult Services | Programs

Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Easter seals. They helped me get my job at Target. They moved to Dallas. I will check out the sites you sent. Thanks! Right now, time for bed. I work tomorrow and do freight and pricing which I am way behind on. I have not been able to get everything done. Target is trying to help but there is not much they can do about memory,slow thinking,problem solving,multi tasking, organizing, easily distracted then forget what to do,etc. By law they are not allowed to know all the details

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked,I was in HR,and we would occasionally have potentially new associates come in through a place called Arc of the Ozarks.I wonder if your Arc of Greater Houston is similar?Sometimes they came in with a job coach,and that coach would be with them,on the job, until they were sure they could handle the position on their own.Might be worth checking into.